THE DESIGNER AND HER MUSE

I I have to say that I absolutely LUV this fashion spread.
It is from the October 2006 Edition of True Love West Africa.
It features top Nigerian designers and their muses.
You have to take a look at this!
Kudos to Omoyemi Akerele for styling this fashion spread and to Bola Atta for all her work…she has really done a great job as the Editor of True Love West Africa.
To find out more about True Love WA – See HERE

Designer: Folake Folarin-Coker of Tiffany Amber
Muse: Montaigne Place (Clarins Nigeria) MD, Alali Hart
Make-up: Banke Meshida @ Faces

Designer: Nikki Khiran of Nikki Khiran Couture
Muse: …
Make-up: Oluchi @ House of Tara

Designer: Henrietta Agboola of House of Henri (NFS 2005 Winner)
Muse: Business Development Consultant, Ronke Asayande
Make-up: Oluchi @ House of Tara

Designer: Susan Eyo-Honesty of Eve 2006 (City People Mag Fashion Editor)
Muse: University of Lagos student, Onome Umukoro
Make-up: Oluchi @ House of Tara

Designer: Bisola Ibironke Edun of Tae
Muse: Ruff and Tumble CEO, Adenike Ogunlesi
Make-up: Udunma Chiori @ Face by Maori

I LUV it…..
My faves are Odion, Soraya, Dunni, Lanre, Lisa, Folake and Bisola!
What do you think?

45 Comments on THE DESIGNER AND HER MUSE
  • Smoothvibes November 9, 2006 at 5:49 pm

yay! I’m first! lol.. ok. going back to read the entry.

• TaureanMinx November 9, 2006 at 5:50 pm

OOOOOO I was first!!!but this damned beta blogger wouldnt process my comment. Another day lol

• TaureanMinx November 9, 2006 at 5:54 pm

Ok im back, Love Soraya and Dunni. You would think that I’d have a copy of this months edition but a sis is broke lol.

• Anonymous November 9, 2006 at 6:06 pm

WOW….diva, diva, diva…all the way!

• Anonymous November 9, 2006 at 6:16 pm

Can someone please explain to me, why this clothes are these expensive? I mean, come on, this is ankara we are talking about o and it costs 150 dollars for a skirt? Biko, Nigerians, we like to deceive ourselves. No wonder we have people living above their means and then following aristos every where.

I guess the clothes aint meant for the ordinary people in Nigeria.

• Funmi November 9, 2006 at 6:35 pm

Nice piece Bella! Soraya’s is sure on point. Her clothes are always so UNIQUE! Like anonymous mentioned some are ‘a tad bit’ pricey but eh, u are paying for exclusivity!

• Coral November 9, 2006 at 6:55 pm

Soraya’s piece is deep. I wouldn’t even sweat the price…just get a good tailor.

• Mona November 9, 2006 at 7:42 pm

amazing stuff

• NAIJAGAL November 9, 2006 at 7:51 pm

WOW! CHECK DUNNI OUT!! i LOVE HER DESIGNS LOL

• zaiprincesa November 9, 2006 at 8:07 pm

oooh…Susan is off tha chain..she made a kaftan for me last yr (EVE 2000) and Bisola Edun is my sis’s good friend, so ill check her out this year..hmm, Folake Coker(Tiffany Amber) is also nice..maybe ill splurge on one of her pieces this yr as well.

• Icy November 9, 2006 at 8:11 pm

OH MY GWAD BELLA.. I LOVE YOU.. NO SERIOUSLY.. LIKE Lol u so rawk mehn… this is ssssssumoking..

• Anonymous November 9, 2006 at 8:40 pm

Bella, bella, bella!

I thot u were based in Canadia?? How u git dis info. so quickly? Okay what I really like are who they choose to be their muses. It’s a diversified cross section of women. I love the pride Naija’s take in themselves.

Peace, gost to go!

• Parazone Super Bleach November 9, 2006 at 9:10 pm

I love the muse and the designer spread! I am proud of all these designers and their muses but most of all I am proud of Bisola, she is a dear friend and an amazing talent!

• ABBEY November 9, 2006 at 11:34 pm

nice outfits…wasn’t really feeling miss henrietta’s though! but all the others were pretty interesting

• tatafo! November 9, 2006 at 11:41 pm

@ Anonymous #2 who says you have to pay $150.00 for the ankara skirt? the solution is simple…get your knock off made by your next door sura the tailor.
    The designs are really nice. Naija women have always had a flair for fashion especially when it comes to trads. Remember how Maryam Babangida used to oppress other first ladies when they had some kinda African women’s summit?

And we have always set the trend for african fashion so I don’t know why some of you are thinking this is new. We’ve always been the fashion capital of Africa

• bibi November 10, 2006 at 12:03 am

my dear ure too much..luv all the info..men the designs are great..the designers are talented and creative…ive got something from Tae ..her designs are not bad either…

• Dammie November 10, 2006 at 12:49 am

*sigh* So lovely :)

• Dammie November 10, 2006 at 12:53 am

….and these Makeup artists..r pretty fab…and this Omoyemi Akerele is pretty kewl too!!!

Lovely lovely lovely!!

• Anonymous November 10, 2006 at 2:14 am

Funmi Iyanda has a blog now Donald Duke! Calabars Governor..na wa..untouchables have now become reachable. At least we can now expose our ideas and make positive contributions via dialogue!

• Anonymous November 10, 2006 at 2:54 am

yeah funmi iyanda has a blog @anonymous but will not post comment opposed to hers lol!

• Angie November 10, 2006 at 7:44 am

All the designs are unique and beautiful in their own special way. i can see myself very soon rushing off to my tailor to make some of the fab styles u have featured, bella. I think all the designers are good in their own special way. I remember Elohor Elizabeth Isiorho(2nd muse) from sec school.

• Beautifully Human November 10, 2006 at 10:45 am

nice spread. But I couldnt exactly figure out which one was the designer and which was the muse. I guess you need to know who the designers are in the first place to be able to work it out, right?

• sola November 10, 2006 at 11:38 am

i luv the artcle. can i like get true love right now! i used to collect them b4 i left nigeria, now im stuck with heat hmmmmmmmm…
    anyways is it that easy to become a designer in nigeria? i understand tiffany amber but dunni & co? and why are they so expensive or do they import tailors and the materials? i think this new fashion pple are overdoing it. i’l stick to my yaba tailor. ps. how much are the peridot and ruby skirts? i hope to GOD they are not eye popping expensive cos im not going to find it funny! and my mum thot i was unwell for paying tailors 5k 2 years ago, iwonder what she’ll think now?

• Dimples November 10, 2006 at 12:13 pm

FAB stuff..nice one Miss Bella
    Trust u to perfom on the day!!!

Really and truly they need to start selling TRUE LOVE abroad!!

To all have a FAB weekend ahead.

• Kumbs November 10, 2006 at 1:55 pm

LOL @ Bola..I didnt want to comment but, damn you hit the nail on the head. Her make up is usually a bit much, but I thought with the photo shoot having its own make up artist she would let them work some magic! but naaa…Looks like she brought her own paint!

• Anonymous November 10, 2006 at 2:01 pm

@ beautifully human…1st enlarge the pix and read the print. They familiarize us with the muse and the desingners name and background and then their names and the description of their outfits is how u know who’s who and whats’s what!

• Anonymous November 10, 2006 at 3:22 pm

totally indifferent to them. they all should probably change their names to Xerox, seeing as all they do is dub. Shewwwwwww (Hiss)

• Anonymous November 10, 2006 at 4:00 pm

way too pricey!

• Anonymous November 10, 2006 at 5:49 pm

Please no one should hit on LDA. She has always been at the cutting edge of fashion since herdays in the UK. And those that commented on her makeup, it absolutely suits her personality. Re the outfits, justifiably some of them are way too pricey. However, as with most productions, its always more expensive to make the prototype. Once the initial layouts have been done, it gets easier and knock offs can be done literally off the cuff. For those that do not like the designs, keep walking and those that cannot afford them, get your local tailor to make good copies. Lord knows we have excellent tailors in Naija.

• Ineka November 10, 2006 at 5:56 pm

Beautiful!
    Oooh Uduma Chiori of Face by Maori is doing things o.

• Uzo November 10, 2006 at 6:17 pm

I loved this spread as well in the magazine and its pretty interesting to see people i know as muses. The designers are great. I have always liked Tiffany Amber for her wearability and her ability to make women feel like women. On the costing: they are designers and can charge as they wish. You can either afford it or not. Afterall Armani charges about $40,000 for a black suit. LOL.

And if you cant afford it, the tailors are pretty good and can knock a style off pretty quickly too.

More grease to their elbows

• Love November 10, 2006 at 6:52 pm

again people can voice their opions if they want..no one needs to tell anyone whether they walk or stay..free world ladies. I know its hard to read peoples comments saying who and what they dont like ( God forbid u say something against their designer friends) etc…but its life and everyone has opinion positive or negative..damn, ive come on here and have read comments about friends and I just take it lightly cuz i know everyone has a right to their opnion..luv this blog no matter what!

• Onada November 10, 2006 at 7:21 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE it all!!! more posts bella!!!

• Anonymous November 10, 2006 at 7:25 pm

Love,

True talk gurl. Bella naija, amazing job. When you can get ladies, esp. Naija women talking about fashion, den u know u r off da chain baby!

Keep up the good work. It’s beautiful the diverse women not only in your posts but those that respond and also their diverse opinions.

It’s reflective of the industry within the states or anywhere else, everyone has an opinion about fashion. Good, bad, ugly it don’t matter cos u can still make lots of owo so long as u have an audience. Carry on!

• broccolimakesmepuke November 10, 2006 at 11:16 pm

Luuuuuuuuuurve this…Big up to Lisa using Didi, always thought she was pretty.

• bibi November 11, 2006 at 12:08 pm

for those complaining about prices…they are designers who feel that’s how much they are worth…when gucci charges $400 for a silk shirt bebe charges $70…go figure…we’re just paying for the name…forever 21 might then charge $20 for the same exact shirt…

its an issue of supply and demand…obviously there’s demand for their work…as armani, cavalli, chanel just to name a few is out of reach to many….so wats the big deal..u wear wat u can afford..just get a tailor to copy the style….

Fashion is a big deal in other parts of the world..newyork, hollywood, milan, paris…what u wear says a lot about who u are…just take a look @ the designer craze in hollywood..i guess different strokes for different people

i luv their designs by the way..quite creative..tiffany amber i think is a bit overpricy sha..luv it:)

• undressed*polaroid November 12, 2006 at 12:39 am

ooo I have this issue and some are quite amazing. I personally like the outfit Lanre DaSilva had on, its different but fashion is hardly about hiding under a shell in boring black…color, color, color…haute!!

• Biodun November 12, 2006 at 3:17 am

love, love, love this entry! The clothes r fab, Soraya Adji of Younass Collections r truly unique, love her stuff as well as Lanre’s. This week was truly hot, hot, hot, lol. Have a nice weekend girl!

• temmy November 12, 2006 at 10:43 am

Lovely lovely pieces! I love Tundun Abiola’s Outfit.

• In my head and around me November 12, 2006 at 3:10 pm

I think O emporium is doing very well. I have seen some other designs she has and they are amazing, chic and simple. And her price is not over the roof too.

• Through these eyes November 12, 2006 at 5:33 pm

Bella Naija, na wa oh. I don’t know if I should post anything because seems to be competition now to post first on your page. Isn’t that something? You know your blog is doing very well if people are fighting to be the first ones to post. Just stopping by to say what’s up. I read your blog everyday so thank you for sharing with us.

One of the pictures had an Oyinda Oniru. I almost passed out. I haven’t seen this girl since Primary School. There were also other faces and names I recognized. Boy is it a small world.

• Ms. May November 13, 2006 at 4:50 pm

Just wanted to say that Nike Ogunlesi is GORGEOUS!!!!!

• Overwhelmed Naija Babe November 13, 2006 at 9:54 pm

absolutely gorgeous creations!!!

• Anonymous November 22, 2006 at 2:35 pm

Hats off to naija’s……So because gucci can charge $400 for a silk shirt, naija “designers” should charge outrageous prices. People need to listen and look at the market they are targeting, we are growing and a child does not come out of the womb to start walking. They will kill the industry if they do not learn the ropes of the game. Thats the problem with us! we over do things….
    Goodluck to the ‘naija designers’
    we are all watching…

• Anonymous March 10, 2008 at 6:46 pm

i think some of the clothes are cool. folake’s collections rock!!! they are way way too expensive though which is just ridiculous but i guess they are “designers”. not withstanding, any good tailor can make a replica of one of those designs for a much cheaper price. lest i forget, bella do they have websites or do we only get to see their designs at their shops and magazines???