NIGERWIVES

Hey Everyone,

How is your week going?
Hope all is great!

Anyway, check out this article from Joy Magazine on foreign women who packed up everything to move to Nigeria when they married Nigerian men.
It’s very interesting!

So wht do u think?
Would you pack up and move PERMANENTLY to a foreign developing country for your man/woman?

I don’t think I could…..
I feel these women are soooo brave for taking such a step! That’s love…

I mean after watching things like the 20/20 documentary on Nigerian scammers, I’m sure most people would be like ‘Hell No!’ lol….
I also think that most men would not do it…..as in pack up and follow their wives to her country.
While we are on the issue, check out Jeremy Weate’s blog – Naijablog
He’s British and moved back to Nigeria with his Nigerian partner, Bibi..
I dont know the details but I think its pretty cool

Also check out Araceli Aipoh’s blog (she is featured in/wrote the article above).
She moved back to Nigeria with her husband and has lived there for many years.

Anyway, let us know what u think!
29 Comments on NIGERWIVES
  • Naijadude December 13, 2006 at 3:56 pm

I was amazed when I read Arceli’s blog long time ago! I could just imagine the courage and being brave for such a trip and live their life. Well they are really commendable comparing how the socio-economic life in Nigeria is.

Yay! I am FIRST

• NIGERIA POLITRICKS December 13, 2006 at 4:39 pm

People migrate all over the world with their loved ones and I dont see why we are giving these folks a spotlight…If Nigerians can live in Nigeria, anybody can; most especially if your loved one is a Nigerian!

• angie December 13, 2006 at 4:52 pm

i would love to say i wouldn’t go…but truth be told i probably will.
    i remember wen i used to attend the Niger wives events wen i was younger. i had cousins that their mama was from the carribeans, so anytime we were at their house we always tagged along.
    i wonder if they still do all that now…

• Belle December 13, 2006 at 4:55 pm

wow… to say these women are brave is an understatement!
    I would definitely move for my husband…!

• Bola December 13, 2006 at 4:57 pm

Yeah…I don’t think it’s that uncommon. My Love, who happens to be Haitian, and I are planning on moving back home in a couple of years as well. I think it’s a matter of interests. Mine is in love with all things Africa, so he’s willing to do it. Besides, the alternative is not necessarily that much better, especially when you live in America. I happen to think this western countries are overrated anyways, so might as well go back home and go at it with your own people.

• Nilla December 13, 2006 at 5:08 pm

Hmmm..what do i think?..We would have to split our lives between our two countries unless he wants to permanently move to Nigeria (thats more than fine by me).

But it doesn’t apply to me cos my sweetheart is Nigerian :-)

• Thoughts December 13, 2006 at 5:39 pm

And did you’all notice something else, most of their spouses are wealthy which makes it easier to shift base.

• naijagal December 13, 2006 at 5:51 pm

hi bella yes i would in a heart beat! The niger wives have it made who wants to live bound to credit cards and debt lol

• Anonymous December 13, 2006 at 5:54 pm

• Anonymous December 13, 2006 at 6:53 pm

Your question is would I move to a foreign developing country for my spouse. While living in a developing country can be very rewarding if you are an expatriate, it would only be good temporarily not PERMANENTLY. Although, I love to experience culture, it has to be on my own terms (i.e. when and how). Therefore, I think I am correct in assuming that if I marry a foreigner and live in his country, more than likely his culture would in some way or the other be imposed on me. Being a free spirit I don’t think I would like that. Also, I wouldn’t like to take a foreigner to Nigeria – although Nigerians are very friendly and accommodating people, however, now and again he is likely to feel left out. My thinking is that if two foreigners get hitched it may be best to live in a very cosmopolitan city like London or NY – although if their careers allow they could each try their home country for sometime and eventually settle where they both feel most comfortable!

• madam t December 13, 2006 at 7:21 pm

Some of these people have it better in Nigeria than their countries. For example not to bash anyone but the philipines is not better than Nigeria. I feel that if you date someone not from your country there is always a possibility of moving to the other person’s country abi? na love

• Parazone Super Bleach December 13, 2006 at 8:22 pm

That scammers bit on 20/20 was so shameful! OMG my black berry was blowing up with people telling me to watch it. Apparently its the second time this sort of episode has aired on 20/20….I wonder if those in Corporate America and hardw working Nigerian will soon start denouncing their country..lol
    I wont ever do that though…

My friends mom too is a memeber of Niger wives and I remember being invited to partake in their annual carnival back in the day.

Dont know if I could make that move though!

• tatafo! December 14, 2006 at 1:02 am

haha *lol* i so feel Anon #1
    “SO because these women moved to Nigeria with their husbands – they deserve some kind of accolade and a whole fucking article. When will black people ever learn. What do you know they were in their countries before moving to Nigeria. The African-American lady was a surgical assistant – I am sure being married to a PhD is an upgrade.”
    abi oh!

• Anonymous December 14, 2006 at 8:12 am

Beautiful story. But you should understand that many foreign women who got married to Nigerians ran away, back to their country, because they couldnt take the heat, figuratively (some Nigerian men are animals) and literally (no light, no water, no nothing.)

• Lisa December 14, 2006 at 8:16 am

Many Nigerians cannot live in Nigeria. And that’s a fact. If Nigerians themselves cannot live in Nigeria (just check the queues at the embassies,) then give it to these foreign women if they choose to live there.

• Anonymous December 14, 2006 at 12:45 pm

I won’t be surprised if ANONYMOUS’and TATAFO are single women, in their late 30s’ (or 40s’) and are still desperately looking for a man to marry them.

Their comment about the SURGICAL ASSISTANT is like saying that Surgical Assistants and PhD holders have no right to fall in love…

Surgical Assistant or not, the woman being referred to got married.

• nigerchild December 14, 2006 at 1:11 pm

i think lots of the nigerwives are really brave women,my mum is one and so i have met lots of them n really admire them.its not easy to leave ur country n go smwhere where u arent sure if people will acccept u or not,where the economic situ as compared to ur country is often worse…this is esp true of the caucasion wives..and as for comments made by tatafo and anon,not all of them were in bad situ before they met their hubbies,my mum was already a doc and making a good living,as for dad,he wasnt rich but they made it together despite the fact that even after 30yrs plus of living in nigeria sm idiots still think that they have the right to insult jst cos she’s white…

• Maurine December 14, 2006 at 3:22 pm

I agree w/ Nigeria Politricks and Anon 1.

The truth is people immigrate everyday for every reason.

Niger child you said, it’s not easy to leave your country and this is true, but tell me, why is it harder for a white woman?

Women leave their countries everyday and struggle. I think we should spotlight all of them or none of them. Really I prefer none.

I think articles like this appear to place “interracial” / “mixed” relationships above others and I think this is wrong because all people have a right to feel special in their relationships. In other words, an Igbo-Igbo, Efik-Efik is no less special and those women are no less than a Dane marrying a Yoruba man. To marry a Nigerian man is an act of bravery in itself. :)

Would I move? Yes, but I would *not* expect extra attention for it. If I move it will be *my* choice and I shouldn’t expect a cookie everytime the water runs cold or the power goes out.

My problem is when women make decisions and then they want the world to apology for the harship that resulting from *their own* decision. It’s your bed, now lie in it.

• Mari December 14, 2006 at 3:25 pm

I second Naijachild. He/She beat me to the punch. My mother left everything she had and moved with my dad when he decided it was Nigeria.
    Some of these women are very brave. They have families and can have better lives back home but they stick with their husbands thru thick and thin.
    I say that “they deserve some kind of accolade and a whole fucking article”

• Maurine December 14, 2006 at 3:40 pm

You don’t get accomodations for bravery with a marriage certificate.

You’re either in it for the love or not. But “bravery”?

Again, I want someone to explain to me why they are *more deserving* of “some kind of accolade and a whole fucking article” than other women who made similar decisions!

I also want to add that women need to give up this victim role and/or Cinderella role we like to slip into. It’s a very comfortable position for us as most were raised that way but only when we hold ourselves fully accountable for our decisions and actions will be have greater equity in this world and in Nigeria.

Wanting an “accolades” for getting married and moving, is *not* taking full responsibility for one’s actions.

Note: I’m distinguishing between “getting praised” by others and “seeking praise for oneself”. Though accepting excessive praise for that which is *not out of hte ordinary* would fall in the latter category.

• Lisa December 14, 2006 at 4:02 pm

But I dont get you Maurine. Where in the article did it even say that these women want accolades and deserve praise?

• Anonymous December 14, 2006 at 5:03 pm

@anon 11.45am,

What nonsense. Another Nigerian female who thinks marriage is the end all and be all. Well,it ain’t.

• Anonymous December 14, 2006 at 5:05 pm

“To marry a Nigerian man is an act of bravery in itself. :)”

LMAO, Maurine you are killing me

• didi December 14, 2006 at 5:16 pm

most nigerwives i know went back to their countries when things got tougher.some still in nigeria are from worse countries(u know wives from sudan and ethiopia r nigerwives).well for those that left 1st world countries,2 thumbs up but then so do missionaries

• Anonymous December 14, 2006 at 5:19 pm

I think Anon 11.45am is a surgical assistant.

• Katharine December 14, 2006 at 6:41 pm

I am currently in the process of making the decision as to whether I could consider moving. I don’t think it requires any accolades if I do move but equally it is not an easy decision by any means. The line of work I am in would be difficult to get in Nigeria and I would miss my family alot as we are very close. But, as many of your posters have stated it is a decision you make out of love, nothing more nothing less. People make equally big decisions in their own marriages every day. My decision to move/not move is more to do with my personal self confidence than it is to do with Nigeria as a country.

• Funmilayo December 15, 2006 at 5:33 am

My mother was a Nigerwife. My parents have been married for over 30 years now, and my mom, an African-American, lived in Naija for 20 years, as we grew up. Her story is similar. She met popsie in college, was swept off her feet..got married and moved to Naija the same year, 1976. She tells me that it was hard at first getting used to the way things were in Naija, but in time she grew to love it, and she now regards herself as more of a Nigerian than an American. I haven’t done what my mother did (as far as to that extent) but I did pack up and move to a different state for my husband. Left friends, a big social life..etc for the man i love, and it’s been one of the best decisions of my life…of course I miss the place I started to call home sometimes, but I love being with him so much that the missing of my former home doesn’t really compare :). I have my love here, a new career as a Realtor, and a new life, and i wouldn’t change a thing. ;)
    Nice blog Belle Naija (first one I’ve read)

• tatafo! December 17, 2006 at 10:04 pm

oh please! you all shouldn’t have to resort to name calling and mud slinging because someone has a differing opinion….grow up!

• Anonymous December 18, 2006 at 7:58 am

tatafo,
    You are the one who needs to grow up. When you hit at people, dont be surprised if they hit back.