‘Style Me’ Making Nigeria Over

Posted on Saturday, October 25th, 2008 at 11:07 AM

By BellaNaija.com

With the international success of ‘What Not To Wear’, ‘How To Look Good Naked’, ‘How Do I Look’ and numerous other makeover shows, there have been many attempts to recreate this formula in Nigeria. To be blunt, most have been awful!

‘Style Me’ is a new makeover show that aims to change that. It is produced by The Cinder Company, an indegenous production company. The show is hosted by Isioma Onochie Aihie and designer, Buki de la Zaria.

'Style Me' hosts, Isioma (left) & Buki (right) with a participant (center)

I’ve seen one episode of the show, it was an improvement on most of the previous makeover shows that I have seen in Nigeria. The ‘subjects’ actually looked better after the makeover and they seemed genuinely pleased with the results. That said, its a new show and there is room for improvement¬† but its a great effort. I am especially glad that clothing by Nigerian designers including Ade Bakare, Odio Oseni of Odio Mimonet, Lanre Da Silva-Ajayi and Bisola Edun of Tae are featured.

Check out some BEFORE and AFTER shots.

Peace - BEFORE

Silverbird -Jos
TUESDAY
8.00 – 8.30PM
Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 35 Comments on “‘Style Me’ Making Nigeria Over”

Comments
    • Lamide October 25, 2008 at 2:25 PM

What a fab idea!!

• Nkechi October 25, 2008 at 7:22 PM

they look better oooo!for reaaal!

• shu October 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM

great, they both look good after, look forward to watching the show

• Efe October 26, 2008 at 1:11 AM

very good idea, and they both looked rili transformed in a very good way!

• sade October 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM

cmon guys you really can do better,change your makeup artist and hairdresser FAST!you should do styles that are easy to maintain and comfortable in our lovely heat AND FRANKLY THE HAIR STYLES CERTAINLY DOSE’NT DO THEM JUSTICE!! ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE CLOTHES GREAT DESIGNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Aleia Lopez October 28, 2008 at 3:34 AM

I want to be made over Nigerian style and I am from the U.S. They look wonderful…. I want to be made over to look nice as an African American woman who Loves Igbo grace and style…. Not as an African American woman trying to be European!

Cheers!

• Trendy October 28, 2008 at 3:35 AM

Not feeling the makeup either. As for the hair… the jury is still out on that one.

• Woman in Transition October 28, 2008 at 3:34 PM

They look great. The clothes are just lovely.

• .... October 29, 2008 at 1:35 AM

“there have been many attempts to recreate this formula in Nigeria.”
      there have been? references please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bella October 29, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Yup, there have been. There was a show called ‘Cinderella’ that was running on AIT earlier this year and last year. It had essentially the same formula. There was also another on LTV that ran a couple of years ago…that one involved giving a lady a makeover then setting her up on a date.

• moji October 29, 2008 at 1:31 PM

after a friend made so much noise abt style me, i got to watch a bit yday and was totally disappionted. They tried too hard to be like Trinny and susanna. They came across as ‘standoffish’ and slightly talked down to their guest who looked uncomfortable! The tips they gave about shopping was very basic and not helpful at all.

• deema August 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Exactly how i felt when i watched it.

• Hope October 30, 2008 at 7:39 AM

the show is just so fake, fake fake

• jk November 6, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Nigerians we know how to critize, at least some one is doing a show, they look beautiful, i bet if given the same opportunity you would not do any better, let’s encourage our selves. the ladies looked good after, if it were an american show you won’t say the same.

• Ms. Chi November 12, 2008 at 12:02 AM

I’ve never watched the show but the transitions above look great. Kudos!

• Foluke November 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM

pheeew! GREAT JOB LADIES watched the show yesterday and was impressed.would gladly come for a make over myself if invited.

• Nancy November 26, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Your makeover is great, outfit wonderful but the hairstyle is too elaborate but they are ok for outing not for the office. Good work, keep it up.

• simon stevens December 2, 2008 at 4:16 PM

Bad belle!!! I must say having worked for many top media companies in the USA and London, this is very good. I am impressed with Nigerian tv and other media programs. Keep it up

• simon stevens December 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM

You must be very sad to be watching Trinny and Susanna. This show has a Naija flavour. If you think its so bad why not go and do a better show. It is always easy to pass judgement on in comfort of one’s armchair.

• MOME December 13, 2008 at 12:28 PM

the dresses are lovely,nice hair style though,should dat be 4 grammy.mehn come 4 me am waiting

• larry March 23, 2009 at 5:27 PM

na wa o…moji. y not do ur own show and lets see ur performance mrs i too know…men STYLE ME u chicks are great,nice one keep it up and may GOD continues to help u out

• Greg davis June 11, 2009 at 5:04 AM

Naija pipo,una dey alwys show una self anywhere una dey wit all una negative tots nd talk,abeg d show is the bomb,beta dan any i hav eva seen,keep on the good work,bt it seems u guys like makin girl ova more dan u do 2 guys.abi una no wnt make una men fine too,u guys can start making more men ova by using me as ur first test(joking)well done my pipo

• chioma September 25, 2009 at 12:40 AM

the show is great..I wont mind if u style Me.

• lollypop October 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM

u guys are doing a wonderfull job.am a young lady& av always found comfort in d tomboy jeans zones but it doesnt really work for me anymore.ur show has helped me shop for better lady clothes even with jeans& i luv d stuff u do wit color…u guy are doing a great job.

• tuttie fruit May 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

They both look amazing after the makeover! :)

• tuttie fruit May 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

dont b fooled its really idias friend claire. h ha ha! :)

• Elohor August 27, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I have followed up on your show faithfully for the past 2 yrs, but not opportuned last year due 2 service. Totally a fab show with Naija flavour. Keep it up but dont remain stagnant. I also need some advice. I dont know which category my body fits into, all i know is that i hav straight hips, no curves, and a little broad shoulders. I feel comfortable wearing trousers than skirts because the trousers gives some little curves, but skirts or gowns… i feel awkward all the tym. infact today was terrible. i really wanted to try out a skirt, but i kept getting a NO!!! from myself and my sister. What kind of cloths are suitable for my kind of body? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Oyenike Vincent November 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I watch style me on DSTV, and I have been following the show for something. It’s really a great show. And I think it will help married women to stay attractive to their husbands. I say KUDOS to you the presenter and the production crew.
      Well, I need your help, How do I get a make over???

• Ruth February 5, 2011 at 3:34 AM

I need this too! some1 come to my aid. they look so good,weldone

• Ita Marcus March 7, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Beautiful show, style my wife?

• Ogunsakin Elizabeth March 16, 2011 at 6:46 PM

fab idea plz style mi

• ogechi duru March 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM

i have been following you show right from inception,i dont miss it for any thing,it has really helped me to improve my way of dressing.and also been cautious of what i wear.please do keep this up an really impressed by his show.hope and pray on day u will style me as well as meet you.

• chidi June 7, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Where do i get u am interested and how much dose it cost?

• stella August 31, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Please style me

• Amaka Ann May 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Please I need your contact (Telephone, Office address or E-mail). I want to be there for consultation. Thanks for anticipated reply. Ann