Our Wedding Story: Omeyi Attah & Alex Yangs

Posted on Saturday, February 14th, 2009 at 12:09 AM

By BellaNaija.com

Valentine’s Day is here and what better way to celebrate than to talk about love. We have been working hard towards launching this BN Feature for a while and this is the perfect introduction.

BN’s Our Wedding Story is all about couples talking about their wedding journey. We are elated to have Omeyi Eneehi Attah and Alexander Yangs as our first couple. Omeyi is a 25 year-old economist who currently works for a leading finance company while Future Awards nominated Alex is a entrepreneur,music producer and artiste.Their story is not only very sweet but is very real! Wishing the couple all the best and wishing you, Happy Valentine’s Day

ABOUT THE BRIDE, Omeyi by The Groom, Alex: She is an amazing woman with extraordinary discerning and driven spirit, she is a believer and shares the same faith with me. She is beautiful, smart, sophisticated, stubborn, sweet trouble, and strong willed! She is my wife, friend, and lover and YES – I LOVE HER!

ABOUT THE GROOM, Alex by The Bride, Omeyi: Born April 6th, 1979, born as an only boy with 7 sisters. Fun loving, social yet quiet, gentleman, deep, kind, wise beyond his years, really sweet, makes me laugh, how did I forget very romantic, loves God, to some a music producer, others a very popular name on Facebook. To me: my friend, my partner, my lover, my husband, the one who lights me up in so many different ways , one who doesn’t fear to speak the truth even if it hurts, a constant reminder of the truth that God loves me. I’m honoured to be the woman he chose to spend the rest of his life with.

HOW WE MET by Alex:
In a few months it will be 9 years ago…
I was the head of teen choir in my parish (RCCG), and we were really good! So much so that we started getting invites to perform at other parishes. November of 1999, we were at one of our gigs and her parish members (including Omeyi) attended. Coincidentally, I had met her sister about 4-5 months before then and we had kept in touch and talked from time to time. Omeyi & I were introduced and during the course of the day, at some point, she mentioned that she was cold and I offered her my jacket to keep warm.
Fast forward.
The next year, on the 8th of January 2000, I was a member of Spirit of David (SOD is a Christian Dance Ministry, you might recognize them as the group behind the TV Show ‘Celebrity Takes 2’), well, SOD had a show on that day which I danced in. Omeyi attended the show and was really surprised to see that side of me; she could never have guessed that I was a dancer. Anyway, she was there and was acting a bit standoffish aka ‘feeling’ although she acknowledged that she recognized me, as in, ‘the guy that gave me his jacket’ but as a QC chick, she ‘formed’. A week later, on the 16th January, I was invited by my good friend Wale Rubber for his birthday at their parish. Once again, I spotted Omeyi and we got talking. During our conversation, she discovered that I spoke French and she was in French school at the time and BOOM! The first attraction. I started helping her with French and then after her French lessons we would take long strolls and somewhere in April 2006, YES…. we were love struck! And so the process that led us here started. We even realized that we have actually been in each others lives since we were kids even if we never knew…

Now what was different about me asking her out was that I knew I wanted to marry her from the get go….Spooky abi?

That was our beginning…

THEN IT STRUCK ME, HE IS THE ONE by Omeyi:
Ok so truth is I’m sure everyone is expecting to hear that there was some magical moment when a light bulb suddenly flashed telling me he was the one. Ok back to serious business, as mentioned earlier we met 8 years ago so we were both rather young. I was 17, he was 21, well, he’ll tell you he thought I was 18; Anyway unlike many other couples we know, we were pretty serious from the word go. For some reason, when we started dating, he always said he didn’t want me as his girlfriend; he wanted me as his wife. Of course, at that time I thought he was crazy. We share the same faith, we are both Christians so that played a major role , as cliché as this might sound; God was the originator of everything in our relationship so we prayed for signs on various issues that if we were meant to be, let those things happen.
Reading our story so far I don’t want people getting the impression that life was always lovey dovey, we had challenges, serious challenges, more than most couples I know have had; there were times when it felt like the storm wouldn’t pass away and we just felt like giving up. We did give up at some point, between 2004 and 2006, there was a break in our relationship and personally I didn’t believe we would get back as it was quite a bad break up. Weird thing though in all that pain, we still said to each other that if we found ourselves in 2 years still single or unhappy where we were, we would get back. Very weird you might think, still don’t know why we said that or gave that time limit and well that’s what happened; the tongue really does have power. Getting back still had its hitches, apart from the obvious bad blood that had to be dealt with, there was the issue of suddenly finding ourselves in different places of our lives than before and now reconciling both lives together was quite tasking.
Again, God played a huge part in all this because after all the tears and pain, we still had to get back to that point of seeking his face and today I can tell you that I’m a better person after that time. The Bible was right in saying the arm of flesh will fail you, rightly so we once failed each other and not because we didn’t love each other, more I think because our focus shifted or from my angle, my focus shifted from the ONE who brought us together in the first place, so easy to forget the God who brought you something or someone and act like that thing or person came by your own doing plus I lost focus on US and started involving other parties into our business.
Throughout my relationship with my husband, I have learned that God is my strength and my source; HE is in everything that happens to me even when it doesn’t feel like; keep your relationship between you both. No 3rd parties. What works for one couple may not work for you and when bad things happen, as hard as it may seem remember that if God let it happen, it will make you stronger. So yes we do know it’s not always going to be rosy but with God on our side, we are confident that we will make it and weather any storm.
Know I may have diverted from the main question but I think the answer to this question how did I know he was the one could be summed up in one song. It captures all my thoughts and emotions; It’s a song by Lisa Shipman & Hallerin Hill titled “You Are The One”

The Proposal:
So the story is in 2 parts, Started in Nigeria but ended in the UK…thanks to Mr Man’s creative mind.
I had been home for a month (January 2008) on holiday and ok let me confess, I was expecting a proposal before I left; for those of you who know us (or have read the story above), you know it’s been a couple of years so we’ve had the marriage talk on our plate for a while now. So, I had a fab holiday but the proposal didn’t seem to be happening so took my mind off it thinking that it would most likely happen when I moved back home. On the night I left Lagos, I had checked in so I went to his house to spend the last few hours before I left again for the airport. While at his house, he needed to get some photos from my laptop, so I left him while I went to get something to eat. Came back afterwards but then he told me to please give him some time that he wasn’t done; of course I wondered why I had to leave if he was just getting stuff from my laptop. Well, didn’t think much of it and just left.
He took me to the airport and gave me a letter which I could only read on the plane. We’ve always written each other letters so this wasn’t anything new; however was still curious about the contents. In the letter, I had to follow ‘a trail’ and do as instructed. Upon reading the note, I was to go to a certain folder in my laptop and take it from there.

I had to wait till I arrived the UK before reading anything. Unbeknown to me, my dear friend Amanda knew of the whole plan and she was to cause another delay from me checking my laptop. Finally opened the folder and saw that there were 2 files, the 1st one led me to go to another file to listen to a song that had a question and come back to read the rest of the letter. Well I can hear some of you I should have figured it out here but for those of you who know us, given that he’s into music, you know that he has written quite a few songs for me *wink*, plus he has sent me a few in the past too, so I was still oblivious of the whole plot.

So I played the song, it was a very fab song I daresay; tres romantic, very well written and sung, he even got one of our popular Nigerian musicians to sing……can’t say much about the song; you all will have the opportunity to hear it below. The keywords though were at the end of the song that said “Will You Marry Me, Will You Spend the rest of your Life with Me?…I Love You”. Ok, so before I let the words of the song sink in, I went to read the rest of the letter which said “The symbol of the seriousness of my question can be found in your suitcase”; so of course I hurriedly went searching and found the box which a ring in it…and oh the letter also ended with the same question; “Will You Marry Me?” So that’s the main gist in a nutshell; Ok so I laughed, I cried, my friend and I popped Moet, of course, I talked to my Man and said YES…

The Song!

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA

The Wedding Day:
Woke up bright and early, prayed with my sis and one of my dearest friends before opening my doors to anything or anyone. It was scheduled to be a very small and quiet wedding different from the norm so we had an estimated guest list of 70 people, the plan was also to have it all end at about 4pm just because we both believed that we should take our guests’ whole day (we both don’t like long weddings).The ceremony held at the Ikoyi Registry while reception took place at a Thai restaurant we both loved; ok I had never eaten there but I loved the ambience. Pattaya Thai Restaurant, Victoria Island, Lagos. The ceremony was a very short but really funny one. Started at about 11:30AM and reception started at about 12:30. It was different because it was really close knit so the time spent was all about us which I was really happy about. I had a lovely day, very proud to say not once was I a bridezilla (ok had the tendencies few days before but not on the D-day)

Dress:
I had two dresses, a traditional white strapless ball gown-style wedding gown I bought from Canada before relocating and a more modern and dare I say ‘high fashion’ gown designed by Ohemai Atafo. He was also responsible for the entire trains’ outfit as well as my elder sister’s dress. I have to say he is a fab designer and went all out to please me so have to give him credit.

Wedding Planner:
I didn’t have to hire a planner due to the size of my wedding plus there was no issue about drinks or caterers as all that was covered by the restaurant. My sister, hubby’s sister and a few friends helped with the running around so that kept me sane because I had to work till the very last minute so didn’t have a lot of time on my hands.

My Advice for Upcoming Brides:
Remember God is your source and strength, so never forget that amidst al the planning. Also, don’t forget your groom too, we ladies get all carried away with the whole fiesta and sometimes forget that there’s someone else, a Very Important Person whose opinion should also count. Please be very practical, there’s no point spending unnecessary money just for one day, can proudly say I got my lovely dress for about less than a third of what the average bride spends, same with my hair and yes it was still home service, luckily my husband’s sister is a make-up artist so got that for free. In essence, stick to a budget, better to invest in your future than one day just to please everyone. And oh! Plan to have FUN no matter how your things turn out, as long as you and the groom show up for the ceremony…it’s all good:)

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags:

• Custom Search
  • 35 Comments on “Our Wedding Story: Omeyi Attah & Alex Yangs”

Comments
    • shoo February 14, 2009 at 12:17 AM

Ahhh Bella you are very wicked! Haba, while I am busy thinking about how I am going to spend this vals day without a VAL, you had to bring us this one again. I nearly passed out when I heard the proposal song! Oginni? Ah ah Odikwa too much! Congrats Omeyi and Alex. May the Lord bless your marriage!!!!

• Oghenekome Ebelike February 14, 2009 at 1:07 AM

The proposal was sooooo romantic. wish you guys all of the best.

• Geekgirl February 14, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Bella…i just got the dec true love you featured in last week and that is you wearing the gold dress!nice

i want an intimate wedding too..all d wahala with big wedding is too much

wishing the couple the best

• tatafo! February 14, 2009 at 4:19 AM

Bella is showing her face! such a beautiful wedding and lovely story. Please feature Chioma and Akolisa sometime!

• Nneka February 14, 2009 at 4:33 AM

….such a happy couple. Did you guys notice there was not even one parent-like figure in the pics. Una jabo the older folks o, it was really your day. Wishing you all the best.

• Nma February 14, 2009 at 4:05 PM

i know….Chioma and akolisa are my ultimate fav!

• Nma February 14, 2009 at 4:39 PM

i love the way the bride kept it real about their travails and triumphs, and how they CHOSE to have a small knit type of wedding unlike the norm naija style that really takes the attention away from the couple.

• Adeyi February 14, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Really nice and inspiring, happy that you both rose beyond your obstacles and hindrances. Wish and pray for endless marital bliss.

Bella, this apt and appropriate testimony is incomplete! For a couple outrightly acknowledging how much God helped them, at least a shot of prayers or praise dance would suffice. I don’t want to believe the wedding was all glitz and glamour but no God.

• Bix Girl February 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM

i love your comment. God bless you!

• Eva February 15, 2009 at 4:45 AM

I so love the cake sha…me and my sweet teeth sef.

• Nma February 15, 2009 at 6:47 AM

i am big on individualism and uniqueness…..even if the bride wore a simple knee-length dress and still had a story as touching as theirs, i would still consider it more beautiful than the norm glitz and glam everyday wedding…with that said, i am in no way in support w/ what Mary said, but u went way overboard with tackling the issue…y r u trying to kill an ant with a hammer? This was so not necessary…at all…and makes u look worse.
      my own 2 kobo.

• Olamild February 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM

There’s nothing as beautiful as finding one’s love. I am happy for omeyi and alex. May the lord bless their union.

• Kpakpando February 16, 2009 at 2:28 AM

Congratulations to the couple, I like that they’re somewhat honest about the work their relationship has required so far, instead of painting lovely pictures of meeting in bible study and living happily ever after since then.
      Also I have to say I’m a fan of groom’s like Alex who seem genuinely happy on his wedding day, versus the “goat being led to slaughter” look I see on so many other naija grooms. It’s refreshing.
      So many good looking people at the wedding too, wonderful. I pray this is just the beginning of a wonderful life together for them.

As for all you yarning dust and fighting spirits & strangers on the internet (on valentine’s day no less), see your lives o!

• B! February 16, 2009 at 4:27 AM

Nice wedding. Nice story. Lovely looking couple.

To the bad belles, apparently some people never got the memo. If you aint got something nice to say, shut the *&*& up. Now go teach that to your kids. It will help them to not turn into you. ‘Nuff said.

• Lolita February 16, 2009 at 5:53 AM

Congrats to the couple. I’m impressed with how you both kept it simple. I would love a small wedding and have an expensive honeymoon. Anywhoo, back o the couple – thanks for keeping it real. I like to hear real stories instead of the glossy version as a reminder of what love is and how it endures. Thanks for sharing your story and that song is awesome. Lucky bride.

• aproko! February 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM

awwwww….bella has removed the posts of all our internet gangsta mamas..it was really hilarious..quite reminiscent of the wahala on the M.I piece…. newais I wish the couple all the best…finding the right person to share one’s life journey with is one of the most important decisions ppl have to make in a lifetime…God’s grace shine upon this union…

AMIN!!!

• Anuoluwa February 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I dont know whether this couple got blessings from parents or not,but i can give countless examples of people who married without parental “blessings” and the marriages are going strong.Atimes when or if parents choose to play God over their childrens lives due to trivial issues,then i totally support not involving them,when they decide to come round,then all the best.
      Or what do you call parents who refused to bless their daughters wedding because she was getting married to their EX-LANDLORDS son?They kept the grudge of over twenty years in them because they remembered the ex-landlord as a heavy handed man who didnt suffer rent dodging tenants gladly.Years down the line,the kids met,fell in love and girls parents REFUSED to even acknowledge or come to the wedding.Her brother walked her up the aisle,fifteen years later,the couple are still together,2 wonderful kids,and a success.Parents came back apologetic and tail between legs after second child was born.The daughter completely blanked them.
      Atimes if it feels right,it IS right.and God(or whoever they believe in) bless the union,ITS all that matters.I mean not everyone belives or God or goes by the bible standards to do things,doesnt mean it wont work.
      Or should i give the story of a friend whose parent in laws a week to the wedding CHANGED THEIR MINDS about coming for her wedding?All because they realised she just MIGHT be a tad arrogant(a collection of first class degrees and they realised she might try and control their son)
      The couple cancelled the wedding and went shotgun..been married for seven years,he moslem she catholic.they had a registry thing and took ten friends to dinner when they got back from there wedding adventure…i know sooo many like that.Atimes parents are just unnecessarily difficult.And as for me,i dont have time of day for some things.

• Fadeke February 16, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Simple yet Nice! I also have the same concept in mind for my Dday…thats of course if the folks wld allow. BTW Bella…..i noticed yours eyes were roving in most of the pics….lol. Who’s camera were you focused on?

• Sticky Nose February 17, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Wish Alex and Omeyi the best of married life. men, they rock o… and they sure r bold. Things can only get better. Hope to see a bang belly soon..and then triplets….. wink!

• Anna February 18, 2009 at 5:29 PM

congrats sweetas….omeyi, i have to borrow ur designer man! he/she is wicked!

• tope February 20, 2009 at 5:54 PM

i really enjoyed reading your story. all the best in life n stay together forever Insha Allahu.

• Lauretta February 25, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Congrats, Omeyi!! May God bless your union, Amen..:)

• Wildboy February 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Of course its a nice wedding and all that-wish the couple all the best-however, we shouldn’t just wish-xcept you’ll not mind being labelled ‘strong headed’ or you’ll want the party outside the coasts, then dream on….in Naija, small weddings like this are practically Unacceptable. Take that from a wedding planner. Ciao. Bless Omeyi and Alex.

• demahsi March 4, 2009 at 11:12 AM

“Omeyi & I were introduced and during the course of the day, at some point, she mentioned that she was cold and I offered her my jacket to keep warm”

The jacket thingy reminds me of when love sparks started with my wife. We were at a NCCF meeting at the Corpers Orientation Camp in Lagos, and some guy came to me that a lady’s feeling cold and needs my jacket, I obliged. That was 9 yrs ago, we’ve been married for 4 years now.

Let’s have more love stories here to encourage our young couples.

• joy March 5, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Am so,so happy for the couple,their love is so real to this time and age,and i pray that it continues to grow stronger.The wedding is fabulous,small, great and romantic.Wish u both a great life together
      Cheers.

• eunice March 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM

oh,its so breathtaking n so divine.really chilling 4 my own day.all d best.

• Endeee March 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Love the concept of a small wedding with people who REALLY care, not so-called “wellwishers”. We need to get away from bankrupting ourselves to get married in naija. You guys have a nice story. All the best!

• Onome March 16, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I’m happy 4 ‘U’. After being seperated 4 2yrs,u stil came back n got married! God is awesome.Its amazing n inspiring. I’m kind of facing some challenges now n i know that d got that did it 4 ‘U’ is still alive. Ur story is gr8 but i pray i v a better one 2 tell. God bless.

• funmilayo March 19, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Whoa this is great heart taking.I really use this as a point of contact am still single though but I believe your God who is my God too will surprise me soon.All the best pls keep the fire of love burning.

• jesuferanmi April 23, 2009 at 4:31 AM

omg! this is sooooo cute:))

• MJ July 22, 2009 at 1:42 PM

omg. i cant believe he had JEREMIAH GYANG sing that song! EEEK! if that was me i would have been screaming YES from the mountaintops! eeek!

• kenora September 29, 2010 at 12:17 AM

this is so nice i can see the love in the couple eyes i wish u guys a happy marriage life!!!!

• loila January 13, 2011 at 6:16 AM

amazing!
      Bella finally showed her face, yu look luvly hun! long tyme no see, wont like to give myself away buh here is an hint, i stay in calgary n saw yu most of the time!

• 4la September 10, 2011 at 11:54 PM

nice proposal, romantic song. may God keep u both 2geda in luv 4eva. God bless

• Destiny möller. September 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I so enjoyed reading the sory of Omeyi and Alex. May God bless your union. the good Lord that has joined you two together, will always be by you. am so happy for you both. and will always wish for a love so true as yours.