Phunk Afrique Evolves

Phunk Afrique created a huge buzz on Bella Naija with their last collection. This rising label is set to light things up again with their Easter ’09 look – ‘Phunk Afrique Evolves’.
phunk-afrique-evolves-bella-naija_005phunk-afrique-evolves-bella-naija_017phunk-afrique-evolves-bella-naija_027phunk-afrique-evolves-bella-naija_016phunk-afrique-evolves-bella-naija_023phunk-afrique-evolves-bella-naija_024phunk-afrique-evolves-bella-naija_012phunk-afrique-evolves-bella-naija_006

Photographer: Ngozi Nkwoji
Make-Up: Mobola Akinkugbe
Models: Bibi Jamieson, Omilola Oshikoya, Ori Rewane, Bukky Thomas, Funke Ogunde

34 Comments on Phunk Afrique Evolves
  • sweetie March 29, 2009 at 9:49 pm

hot, hot hot!!!!!!!! loving it

• kkkkkk March 29, 2009 at 10:10 pm

the yellow and black shift dress…….yum-yum gimme some..
    WHERE?????

• keep the peace March 30, 2009 at 12:05 am

This is really good…very much impressed…but why can I hear the foot steps of haters…hmmmm

Well done..the collection is beautiful…x

• Dorah March 30, 2009 at 12:19 am

I love it! I really love that fashions are available to women of all different shapes and sizes!

• Anya March 30, 2009 at 1:27 am

Gorgeous!!! Where to buy? Can I get it in Abuja?

• jo March 30, 2009 at 4:05 am

love it ….simple, elegant, chic n stylish …2 thumbs up

• Dedun March 30, 2009 at 4:34 am

I love funke’s Designs ! she has always been fashionable.. even when we were kids ! love it !

• inspired March 30, 2009 at 11:57 am

Well done Phunk Afrique……very beautiful collection!!

• Lamide March 30, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Fabulous! The yellow pencil dress and pink top are my faves. Great job, Funke (I can sense my bank account groaning already, lol)

• Nieves March 30, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Is that Bisola Williams that went to a-hall?
    WOW…SHE LOOKS SMASHING…BIG IS BEAUTIFUL….WOW WOW WOW…..BISOLA WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING..PLEASE KEEP IT UP…YOU ARE STUNNING…

• nne March 30, 2009 at 1:56 pm

This is just toooooo HOT!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t shout! OMG! I love all the pieces. Whats the price?? I know i am late but who is behind this line? She is friggingg talented!

• Ladi March 30, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Hmmm, that yellow dress (with the puff sleeves and black embroidery) looks like a Deola Sagoe classic from a year or two ago….

• yves la rock** March 30, 2009 at 3:21 pm

i love it. bella do they have an online store???

• :) March 30, 2009 at 5:31 pm

spot on..lool

• shi March 30, 2009 at 5:51 pm

absolutely stunning!

• Uzo March 30, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Ooooooooooh..Omilola and Bukky…Very nice.

So where do we get the designs?

• aosgrl March 30, 2009 at 7:14 pm

The designs do look good. But like someone else pointed out i feel like i’ve seen these designs already on numerous lagos fashonista’s. Nothing too ground breaking. To a certain extent i feel some of the up and comer’s play it too safe. they worry more about what they can sell now than the future of their label. Fashion is an art. Show the level’s to which you can take your craft. Alexander Mcqueen and Jean Paul Gaultier show almost unwearable items for their shows, but you know what they show me that they can make their materials move or mold in a certain way i never thought possible. Show me that you think like someone who still expects to be here in five years. There are so many people around doing the basic with local fabrics, what sets you apart.

Good luck with everything.

• xoliquoricexo March 30, 2009 at 10:07 pm

e-mail: phunkafrique@yahoo.co.uk
    phunkafrique’s showroom: 23, bishop oluwole. victoria island.

you can also contact the designer via facebook. her name’s “funke ogunde”. prices vary from 14,000 to 45k and up, i believe.

• tomi March 31, 2009 at 12:21 am

I agree with you on every level, but you only have to read the comments on this site to realise that a lot of nigerian women are quite resistant to change. The designers that can afford to push the boat out creatively are the ones who can also afford not to sell any of their pieces. Deola Sagoe’s label did not do well for being too “one-kind” until she won the Anglogold award, THEN people got on board.

Without being cynical, a lot of young ladies get into fashion because they think it will be lucrative and easy, and when they discover that its not, they promptly get out again, so its generous on your part to assume they had a creative vision in the first place.

However, when I saw the way nigerian women responded to Lanre Da silva when she first came out, I new that people were hungry for something new and she is the proud owner of a very profitable business. So for you budding designers taking the plunge, take some risks, the market might surprise you.

Best of luck girls!

• nm March 31, 2009 at 4:32 am

i cannot even hate…this is hawt

• nm March 31, 2009 at 4:35 am

true..i thot of that deols sagoe outfit when i saw that yellow one…i think bellla even has it as her blogger facebook profile pic or something

• tatafo! March 31, 2009 at 4:39 am

busted!!! lol
    other than that really great designs =)

• Abeni Ebony April 2, 2009 at 1:44 am

How in the world can we get this in New York City?!?!?

• Olangela April 2, 2009 at 8:50 pm

These are absolutely gorgeous!!!!

• Olangela April 2, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Yes, fashion is art, but what good is art if you cannot sell it? Gaultier and McQueen had to start SOMEWHERE to draw attention to themselves and, as they made money and gained popularity, then they started with the unique pieces. Crawl before walking, oh.

• pam April 5, 2009 at 12:44 pm

hmmmm this is not being mean but ill have a go.
    i feel its wearable, great to look at, will flatter a range of body types but as others have said its not ground breaking.

the first pic looks like a tiffany amber from 2-3 yrs ago

the second classic nikki khiran

the third lanre da silva

the yellow dress deola sagoe

and so it continues

Naija fashion really very conservative with reinterpretations of existing templates and adaptations of foreign trends. Is that a problem? Not for us oh!

again do enough nigerian women here do “groundbreaking” to keep your business afloat? If you dont have access to clothing the pace setters whom people copy (like Lanre) your business may die before it picks up.
    Having said all this turenci the clothes as they are would certainly sell.

• tomi April 5, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Actually, it was the other way round. Both Gaultier and Mcqueen started producing avant garde collections that sold very few pieces but confirmed their talent. They remain edgy till this day but are much more commercial now. Only AFTER paying their creative dues can they rest on the laurels of perfume and handbag sales which is where the real money is.

These clothes are pretty but the styles are all over the place, and the market is already saturated with similar items by better known designers, with more accessible sales channels and less well known designers with lower price points, so why do the same. Im not talking about art I’m talking about business.

When Lanre first started she was “advised” by several people to change “the nonsense Victorian style” but she stuck to her guns and is laughing all the way to the bank.

All Im saying is there is very little reward to be had at the end of the path well-trodden

• tomi April 5, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I agree that not that many nigerian women do “groundbreaking” but that is no reason not to have your OWN aesthetique. There is a label called exclamation that makes simple well priced linen tops that sell to the middle classes. Not high fashion but I know their look and if I ever want that kind of thing they’d be top of the list.

In a bad economy, being a “copy designer” is bad business for several reasons but the 2 most obvious are.

1. If you are copying Tiffany Amber and Deola Sagoe, why cant I take magazine pictures to my tailor and copy them by myself avoiding your markup?

2. If Im watching my spending Im not going to shell out for things that look like what I already own. I’ll save my pennies for something special.

• bob-ij April 19, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I like the very first piece. The fusion of patterns screams style!…And the yellow dress with patterns…Phunk Afrique really did well with this. But are these only sold in Nigeria, I’d love to order!

x!

• Tade April 29, 2009 at 8:57 pm

d yellow dress is lovely

• jiji May 5, 2009 at 11:01 am

pam! don’t be a hater! Phunkafrique is really good and very impressive.her designs are fabulous and truly african. she has her own taste! All those other designers u named strted small and are now house hold names. the same will be said soon about Funke! God Bless her and i hope she makes it even bigger in the fashion industry!!! WELL DONE FUNKE ur designs are LOVELY!!

• Z.M.A May 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm

you say this styles are a an exact replica of of various designs that people have made over the years but then again isnt everything we wear a copy from yesterday or two decades ago.

There is a trend for every season and each designer #produces it in thier own way. Funke has done hers perfectly maybe you should give it a try and let us see how you would produce it since you remember how others did theirs.

Style and fashion are meant to be recreated and made to look better and as long as she has acheived that(which she has) we dont want hateration small or big, give kudos where it is due.

Let Mr skinny jeans, Mrs shift dress or Auntie Maxi dress come and arrest everybody.

• Mochi May 15, 2009 at 10:44 am

I toatally agree with Pam. A designer cant design in isolation but outright duplication of local designers doesnt make sense to me. That yellow dress is on Deoa Sagoe,s website in the exact same colour!

• Rowz July 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm

All u haters cant u just admire and let it b.so what if she got her style from here &there,every 1 does it once in a while.Funke,dont let them bring u down,u r doin great,relly great.tumbs up dear,keep it up