From Big Tee to Healthy & Happy

Posted on Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 at 8:05 PM

By Wana Udobang

tolu-bn-inspires-beforeWeight loss can sometimes be the challenge of a lifetime. Tee tells BN Assistant Editor, Wana Udobang about a challenge that changed her life.

Where do I start? I’ve never been known to be slim, since I was little, I’ve always been the biggest amongst my friends and peers and all I’ve always heard is “ you are too big for your age” hence my nicknames Tol-Fat and Big Tee…And so the baby fat in that little girl eventually turned into solid fat.

My mum has a mini-mart in our house, and I think my love for junk food started from there…gulping several bottles of coke and Fanta daily, I couldn’t have taken less than 10 bottles a day, ice cream, yoghurt, biscuits and sweets, I never left home till I was 22yrs old (went to the boarding school in secondary school for 5 days, but came crying back) so you can figure out how much junk food I must have consumed in those years.

Apart from my love for junk food, I could not do without eating rice and bread daily, I was eating large quantities of rice morning, noon and night, same for bread and was eating either of the two at least twice daily. I would only stop eating because I felt like it, not because my stomach was full, it could never be full, it was like a bottomless pit!!!

Reality check set in about five years ago when I was having irregular periods and the main reason according to the doctor was my weight, even then, I wasn’t really bothered because it was less monthly stress for me, but my wakeup call was in November 2007. I bent down to pick up my keys from the floor and it was a big struggle to stand up. About two days later, I had to run up the stairs to pick a phone call, I kept panting heavily and it took a while for my breathing to get back to normal, but prior to those occurrences, I was constantly having stabbing pain in my chest. I just knew I had to do something, I was scared of dying young , so much more for me to enjoy in this life.

So on the first of January 2008, my only resolution was to control and change my diet. I made up my mind not to eat rice and bread on Mondays to Fridays and if I had to, it would only be on weekends, I also stopped buying biscuits, yoghurts, ice cream and luckily for me, about 4yrs earlier, I stopped taking fizzy drinks (must have had enough to last a lifetime). I developed a new found love for beans and moinmoin, boiled plantain with vegetable stew, weetabix, fruit and fibre cereal and crunchy nuts. I stopped eating meat and substituted with fish and chicken without the skin and started grilling food instead of frying, I reduced the quantity of my food intake, eat fruits once in a while and drink lots of water.

By mid march 2008, I dropped a dress size and that spurred me on because in the past, I had used some herbal stuff, which made no

Tolu After

Tolu After

difference, though I never drastically cut down on my food intake, a year down the line, I have dropped three dress sizes and lost 30kg.

When people ask me what I have done, I tell them I have only changed my diet and that is simply the truth, it’s been a big struggle constantly fighting the temptation. My period has been regular and I no longer have the stabbing pain in my chest. Most importantly, I feel really healthy now but the down side is that my boobs have shrunk a bit, but all in all, I am proud of myself.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 34 Comments on “From Big Tee to Healthy & Happy”

Comments
    • *Dith* June 9, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Congratulations missy!! Your story made me smile!

• Dami Ashafa June 9, 2009 at 9:45 PM

wow…. im going to do just like what you did… i have never been slim my whole life too…. my mind wants to do this but my will power is zero.. i already started gyming but the food i eat is the problem… i may not eat a whole lot but i do not eat the right things either….
      thanks for sharing

• tatafo! June 10, 2009 at 2:07 AM

In one year? Wow!!! Great job!

• Uzo June 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Fantastic story.

I am inspired….

• Jummy sawyerr-Adegboye June 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM

wow!!! you look really good. This is my inspiration oh!! i have started as well and already i can see the difference. Keep it up!!

• Movie fan June 10, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Wow! You are indeed an inspiration and you look fab. Well done girl!

• efelicious June 10, 2009 at 10:28 AM

wowwww….am so happy for u babez…u really do look happy n healthy…am not what would b regarded as ‘fat’ but wouldnt mind droppin just a size…if u could achieve it then i know i can…good 4 u n hope u mentain it coz u sure look prettier

• mesole June 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM

My inspiration……..my diet starts now.I have noted down what you did and im going for it……..Wish i could have your personal mail to ask more.You look pretty

• Wow June 10, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Wow! you look amazing! more like a smallie now…

• jazz June 10, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Wow Tolu, this is so amazing and inspiring

• bamby June 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Great job! I tell people all these crash diets will only have you gain all the weight and more if you slide. keeping the weight off means a total change in diet. You are healthier and of course feel so much better about yourself.I lost 25kg doing the same thing. Keep it up!

• seyi June 10, 2009 at 11:11 PM

am so proud of my auntie Tolu…much love…. and Wana keep up the good work….

• NK June 11, 2009 at 11:38 AM

wow…aunty tolu … not seen u in a whole but thats a huge difference from when i last saw u…awesome

• yenge June 11, 2009 at 1:20 PM

she is my inspiration!!
      am starting today

• yenge June 11, 2009 at 1:21 PM

did u exercise tho?

• Teetolu June 11, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Did not exercise at all, only changed my diet

• Toyin June 12, 2009 at 5:04 AM

Congratulations! Losing that amount of weight takes a lot determination and discipline. I hope more people begin to realize that crash diets are not effective in attaining a healthy weight. It’s really about a change in one’s lifestyle!

• ogoo June 13, 2009 at 4:52 AM

nawa a a a!!!!! am still battling with my own! i envy u now, just imagine how u look old & banza b4 but now lovely. advice me on what 2 do . i felt my problem is that i over relaxed & sleep.

• ayodele adekola June 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM

aunty tolu, this is all so amazing. iv been struggling with the same thing myself. you are an inspiration.

• Silkywave June 18, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Very Impressive…. Staying in shape or keeping fit depends 80% or more on your diet. All we need is discipline.

• Nike June 22, 2009 at 5:13 AM

wow..you look great..thanks for being an inspiration to all of us!

• titi June 23, 2009 at 3:15 AM

welldone Tolu!can i be ur friend?i m having challenges with my weight,it s been a struggle i need inspiration

• blj June 23, 2009 at 12:27 PM

woah, you are an inspiration o! I am not giving up too. I am also on a diet to drop a dress size.

• Dupe June 23, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I am inspired. I need to do this, i need to drop at least two dress sizes. Thanks for the encouragement

• ESTEE OLOKO July 7, 2009 at 10:07 AM

i find it hard to believe ur d same person in the other pic cos the change is really amazing

• zeeynah July 13, 2009 at 4:33 AM

wow. I am amazed, talk about a true success story, you look stunning. I am truly inspired to do this now. well done Tolu you look fabulous. thanx 4 sharing ur story……

• Dora July 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM

welldone….am so inspired….ave also changed my diet…so its good to see somone who has done it and is reaping the results…God bless

• Ifeoma July 14, 2009 at 12:38 AM

am happy 4 u, how i wish i could do same.
      after reading ur write-up am determined 2 cut down tooo

• stella July 17, 2009 at 6:56 PM

u look amazing girl

• uj August 24, 2009 at 3:38 AM

I am soooo inspired,i have been strugglimg with weight issues, for a while now,i just havent got the will power to stick to the diet.After two kids i moved from a size 12 to a 16 and going. i really want to loose weight and your story and pictures have inspired me. infact tomorrow diet begins………..Amen.lol. seriously

• myra September 15, 2009 at 12:49 AM

thanks 4 inspiring me

• Bisi Majek-Kuti October 15, 2009 at 2:11 AM

My dear Tolu, i am indeed happy you could do this. I know since our childhood days it’s been a struggle…love you girl,pls keep it up.

• Bisi Majek-Kuti October 15, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Well done Tolu love, i am indeed proud you could do this. I have always known it’s been a struggle since our childhood days. Bravo girl and i have also started on this path. I pray it work for me.

• zingy December 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM

yes what tolu did works,i decided last month, to go off carbs because I was just tired of my arms and thighs. I love my body,but to be honest, no harm in getting rid of some unwanted fat, so its just protein for me and its working.I have lost a bit of weight and its showing. I was feeling very dizzy this morning after using the bathroom and had a bottle of fanta for the sugar and ran off to the scale almost immediately,lol.