Obsidian: The Muse

Posted on Tuesday, July 7th, 2009 at 1:19 PM

By Ijeoma Ndekwu

Designer and no new comer to the BN style page Isoken Ogiemwonyi talks about her latest collection for her fashion label; Obsidian.

What role did your muse, Nicole play in the design process of  this collection?

She was the focal point in the creative process of this collection. The quirkiness she lends to the glamour of each Obsidian piece, is part and parcel of the image I had when designing the pieces.

What’s the inspiration behind the collection?

Apart from my muse Nicole, Bianca Jagger was also one of my inspirations for the Muse collection, but it was the idea of Jagger that came through—the easy grace and simplicity of Bianca in the 70’s , with just a touch of the theatrical bent she was known for (evidenced by her Studio 54 entrance on a horse).

How was the  Obsidian label aesthetic captured in this collection?

The Obsidian spirit is definitely here – a garment designed to make the wearer feel special. Although its quite a small collection, it displays all the Obsidian hallmarks, beauty and glamour with a hint of drama.

The collection features a lot of modern cuts combined with traditional fabrics, was that your intention?

Yes, I wanted to find a balance between traditional and modern. I played around with the ‘traditional’ fabrics of lace and damask. Worked into special pieces like the pink damask and satin strapless dress interpreting the clothes in a new way.

What’s your favourite piece in the Collection?

I especially love the sea green top and silver trousers, the simplicity and ‘airiness’ of the sheer chiffon top and the harder, more rock ‘n’ roll vibe of the skinny pants.

Who should wear this collection?

Young fashionable girls/ women 18-35 Who enjoy fashion and can mix it up and have fun with the clothes.

The Muse collection by Obsidian features artistically crafted designs with a hint of glamour, elegance and dramatic details. The pieces in the collection are feminine and adventurous. With this collection, traditional fabrics are cut to embrace contemporary design influences.

My favourite piece in the collection is the white silk jumpsuit. What gets me is the simple and appealing combination of the asymmetric detailed sleeve, the waist sash and the floaty harem pants. She successfully balances elegance and glamour with free spirited playfulness.

muse14

Model: Nicole

Creative Consulting, Hair and Makeup: Teepha Adams

Stylist: Ada Onumonu for Style Junky

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 26 Comments on “Obsidian: The Muse”

Comments
    • LD July 7, 2009 at 1:36 PM

The model is bold! Good for her!

• fatima July 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Well done Isoken! They look beautiful.

• me July 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM

WOW this is really creative and beautiful, u go girl, mwaah

• Bola July 7, 2009 at 4:12 PM

my fav has to be #5- the green exciting piece

• shi July 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Ist to comment!..yay!…this calls 4 a celebration, as in u know, see u, catch ya larer…..lol.. The outfits are not bad!…pretty nice….Keep up the good work Obsidian…..

• sweetie July 7, 2009 at 5:42 PM

i will say it again and again…. your designs are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love every single one, but girl i am pissed with you, after your seeing your first post here, i added you to facebook so i could see more of your designs and my request is still pending…. anyways no hard feelings i still love your work, big ups!

• Kelechi Chukunyere July 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM

ok, this blog is officiallly getting boring!!!

• Tina July 9, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Nice work…but i feel like ive seen these before… I guess thats the problem with nigerian fashion industry..everything has to be replicated..

• plomo July 9, 2009 at 7:33 AM

tell me about
      very very boring…usually i check everyday but i just realised i have stopped coming here…
      yawn

• bella reader July 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM

i love her designs ……Bella wha gwan with ur site mama? u hardly update or is it me? twas a daily stop for me now i visit once in a while and still see the same cover stories so my guess is that u’re not updating as much as u used too in the past…….:(

• nandy July 9, 2009 at 10:25 AM

bold ke,think say she dey sleep,2 boring

• Oge July 9, 2009 at 12:07 PM

very true….

• buffy July 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM

nice word tina,nice bt still dsame kinda designs seen wiv diff designers esp d new,young &upcomin designers i ve seen on ds site…is nw gettin boring…

• Bee July 9, 2009 at 1:47 PM

very very true…bella please fill us in on this your prolonged leave of absence o…abi gist don finish ni?

• Qeema July 9, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Nice designs. Love the colours – I especially love the dramatic green little dress. The white jumpsuit is great too. Isoken is very creative and has a great sense of style.
      I have to agree with others that this site is now dry sha. Bella, your blog on blogspot.com was much more exciting than this. Maybe it was too early to move to a full-fledged entertainment portal. When you had your blog, you updated frequently and were usually the first to blog about the latest events, e.g. by now you would have given us the lowdown on the recent R Kelly concerts. These days, it’s a different story. An entertainment portal that is not frequently updated amounts to a huge yawn. I don’t want to discourage you and your team, you are all still doing a great job, but maybe you need to get some more hands on board so that you’re able to update more frequently.

• Nma July 9, 2009 at 6:40 PM

love it!
      looove the green dress!

• Tumi Jẹgẹdẹ July 9, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I love this designer, I just wished her stuff was global.. UK perhaps.

My favourite has to also be the turquoise blouse with the silver/metallic looking cropped trousers. I think the accessories also lend themselves to the outfit, the pictures are gorgeous and Nicole is really ‘selling’ the clothes to me. :)

Thanks for sharing with us.

• beautiful iris July 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Fantastic designs Obsidian…..

True talk Bella..i’ve been expecting the RKelly concert gists and redcarpet,a teeny about Micheal Jackson,KOKO MANSION and its objective,the face off btw that UK based designer(Emmy Collins???) and This Day,and more oooo………………..Get your groove on Bella.We still love you.

• tom crown July 9, 2009 at 7:41 PM

she’s doing her thing. with God nothing is impossible.
      new blog alert! please check it out & leave a comment. thanks http://atsworld.wordpress.com/

• switch July 12, 2009 at 5:38 AM

these are nice! … i clicked on http://atsworld.wordpress.com/ its very cool. & funny! lol. the “dope kids” are really dope too. lol

• zeezee July 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Really feel her designs!! More original than some of the designs I’ve seen on a recent highly publicized fashion show. Her use of fabric is vert astute and her dresses are too die for!! meloves!!!!

• BAYO O August 30, 2009 at 12:49 AM

this is so beautiful

• teresa May 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM

lovely please i need .isoken contact for an event asap

• judith iwejua July 7, 2010 at 4:22 PM

dis designs are terrific,model is great

• judith iwejua July 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM

fabbuuuuuuuuu—loussss

• valentyne blacksmith December 21, 2010 at 3:49 AM

the green the purple n the turquoise blue top re my favoryts. they can be on the catwalk n grace the red carpet too…i love it