My Style: Chika Uwazie

print final

It’s your regular dose of the BN feature; My Style! If you are interested in appearing on this page, simply send two pictures of yourself or that of a friend depicting a typical Day and Night Look with a short summary of your style to my mail box: ijeoma.ndekwu@bellanaija.com

When your entry is approved, you will be required to send in more pictures and personal commentaries on your style or that of your friend as the case may be! Thanks to those who have participated so far, keep the emails coming.

Let’s remember that this feature is about appreciating an individual’s expression through clothing!

BellaNaija reader, Chika Uwazie is constantly in competition with her stylish mum, who she acknowlegdes has a great influence on her personal style!

CHIKA’S STYLE:

My style has definitely evolved over the years. I choose to wear clothes that fit my shape and highlight the best parts of my body. I look to fashion blogs for some inspiration, but not every trend appeals to me. When I buy clothes, I keep in mind how I what to appear to the world that I am part of. It is important that my style expresses my personality and people get the proper impression that I display. My Mom and Kerry Washington are my style role models because they display elegance and sophistication when they’re dressed up. And that is something I strive for! I shop all over the place, from designer ends to forever 21 and to vintage stores. You never know where you are going to find a great buy and a lot of my clothes I buy on sale. My friends always assume that I spend so much on the clothes I wear, but the fact is I am a big bargain shopper!!! I just happen to combine my pieces in a way that I come off looking and feeling l like a million bucks!!!

WHY DO YOU LOVE YOUR STYLE:

I love my style because it is simple. I adapt to any look from weird prints, to bright colors, to floral and I have fun with it. I am also open to difference, so every now and then I explore different styles, and if it works, it ends up being something new I add to my collection. You may not agree with some of my style choices. However, I have a lot of people that respect what I wear. From a young age, my mom always insisted that I dress like a lady. Which to her means, always wearing a belt when needed and making sure my under garments are kept hidden. These principles have made me lady-like in my appearance.

HOW IT EXPRESSES CHIKA’S PERSONALITY:

I am a very bubbly person, always laughing and trying to have a good time. I also am very random and you never know what I am up to. I feel that my personality definitely comes across with my style because I wear a wide variety of colours, cuts, and looks. I am comfortable in my own skin and I never want to look like I am forcing myself in a certain type of outfit because it is a trend. If the outfit doesn’t make me feel happy or good then I simply will not wear it.

HAIR:

When it comes to my hair, I pretty much keep to certain styles because I believe they frame the shape of my face the best. In the past, I wore single braids or micro braids in the front and attached a weave at the back, but I am tired of braids and have moved on to weaves and lace front wigs. I usually keep my hair a little bit past shoulder length with either loose curl, wet and wavy and every now and then straight. Dark brown was my choice of colour, but now I have seen that black suits me the best. Occasionally I have done my hair is short curls which gained complements from my friends, but it makes me look too young so I rarely have that hair style. My natural hair was just cut super short back in June because I am going on a natural hair journey using only natural hair products and I have seen great results, hit me up if you want to know what products I use!!

Hair Final

MAKE-UP:

I love make up and I acquired that love from my mom. Also, when I was an all-star cheerleader it was required that we wear make up for performances so I am use to it. I really only buy MAC products, but occasionally if I do see an eye shadow that catches my attention from another brand, I will buy it. On my face I just use MAC’s powder blot and it does a good job in keeping my face from getting oily. On my eyes I tend to use a lot of purples and golds as my staple because I believe those colours highlight my eyes best. I try not to be so dramatic with my eyes because I want make up to enhance my facial features and not over dramatize it. Quite often, I mix the shadows together to create my own colours and I have seen that it really works for me, and doesn’t come off as over bearing. Also, I sometimes apply blush to make my cheeks warmer and apply a tinted lip gloss. I never wear lipstick; I think my lips are too big and that lipstick will only draw more attention. As far as my mascara I have naturally long eyelashes so I look for mascara that can separate my eyelashes. During the day I don’t really put too much on my face just possibly a sweep of gold just to bring out my eyes and my blot powder. At night, that is when I play with colours to go with the outfit that I am wearing.

Makeupfinal

CHIKA’S WARDROBE STAPLES: I have a few items that continue to stay with me over the seasons.

Leggings:  I think they are very versatile. I can dress it up for a night look or just throw it on for a day look. Especially because I live in Florida, sometimes a pair of jeans becomes too hot so leggings allow my skin a bit of a breathing space.

Vests: I also love vests because it is great to use all year round and can make you look edgy, classy, quirky; whatever look you are going for it is a great addition!

longvest1

The colour Gray: I love the colour gray, I feel that grey is my neutral. It looks good with a lot of colours and to me is the new black.

Skirts: Skirts are another staple of mine. I like skirts because once again you can use them all season long. In the fall and winter just put some tights under them when it is cooler. Also if the skirt is a bold colour, it becomes a  a great way to incorporate colour to your outfit. During the spring and summer I wear skirts with sandals for a day look and at night I add heels.

Skirt final

Rings: I think I have more rings than earrings. I love big rings that jut pop such as my flower ring or my green and gold ring. My friends are always taking my rings so I am constantly buying new ones, but I just love the way it highlights your hand and just adds another dimension to an outfit.

DAY LOOK:

My day look really just depends on where I am going to be located for that day. Most of the year I am at school and it pretty much stays hot all year round so I try to stay cool but still showcase my own unique style. I like to wear a lot of prints and mix patterns up. If I wear a neutral like gray then I like to add a pop of color whether it is in my shoes or accessories.

flower final

Blazer Final

jumper final pic

Jumpsuit: Forever21; Shoes: Sam Edelman

Vest Final
Tribeca Final
whitefinal 3

BAGS:

I have a weird taste in bags and I have them in all shapes, colours and sizes. I like my bags to make a statement and a lot of times I want my bag to be the focal point of an outfit. Usually there is one bag that I splurge on, and that becomes the bag that I carry around daily. I love getting unique clutches to make my outfits pop; The bags below are a few of my favorite bags for this year:

Bags

JEWELRY:

I see jewelry as the finishing piece to any outfit. I also believe that jewelry can dress up certain items such as a plain tee or a simple tank. I love rings and bangles, but especially pearls. I feel that pearls is the definition of a woman and I have all types, from simple strands to intricate embellishment on them. For some reason I do not wear a lot of earrings, most of the time I stick to studs or simple clip earrings. I rather concentrate on my neckline or hands.

SHOES:

I have a lot of shoes due to the fact that I am in competition with my mom. She has so many shoes that it is ridiculous and lot of them she does not wear. I want to have a colourful collection like her so I am always looking for new shoes to add to my collection. Since I school in Florida, I have a lot of sandals that I wear but I make sure they are dressy sandals that I can wear to play up an outfit or dress down a dress but still make my outfit look classy. I love heels but I rarely buy heels that are too high because I am always about comfort. A lot of my shoes are from Nordstrom rack and DSW I love these stores because you can find unique designer shoes at bargain prices.

shoes final

NIGHT LOOK:

My Night look varies and I can be wearing a dress, skirt, leggings, or jumper. My night look just depends on what look I am going for. I really don’t like a simple dress I look for dresses that have a special print, embroidery, or embellishment. I also don’t do the Little Black Dress; I prefer the Little Bright Dress. This consists of a dress that has colour that accentuates your skin tone with minimal jewelry.

LBD Final

LBD highlightfinal

bluefinal

mixture of clotes

TRADITIONAL:

I do not get to wear traditional a lot because being in Florida there aren’t many Nigerian functions to attend, but I did get a few dresses made when I went back to Nigeria last summer. They all have a gold tone to the print that makes the dress shine. The first dress I designed myself and I got the seamstress to make the dress for me. It has a band across the hip which allows a person to add a brooch to it and then there is a split in the front of the dress. The second dress , I also designed and I just wanted a pretty long flowing dress. I told the seamstress to make a band in the middle to create the illusion of a smaller waist and then on the top part of the dress I wanted my shoulders to be exposed a bit. The last dress was made by my aunt and she made a cute party dress for me that has a ruffled skirt and then a tube top to match the skirt. The last dress was made specifically for my birthday party and I wanted a short dress that was elegant. The top has an elastic in it so I can make the dress fall off one shoulder, both shoulders, or none at all. Sometimes when I wear this dress I use a belt in the middle.

Traditional

final trad

Ending Signature

53 Comments on My Style: Chika Uwazie
  • miss mini me August 24, 2009 at 11:02 am

lol.
    Ok so i just put the word “nice” and i got an error my comment was too short.
    Really??
    lol
    Ok.. NICE

• oga o August 24, 2009 at 11:19 am

nice and simple :-)

• chika August 24, 2009 at 11:34 am

Wao, what a coincidence of name. Your style is fantastic, i think i love it, is cool.

• Coco August 24, 2009 at 12:00 pm

i like your style,you look confident in your skin…and kudos for putting up your hand for the next dose of ‘My style’ cos after the way the last lady was literally ‘butchered’, i didn’t think anyone would put themselves through this feature…so well done!

• nikki August 24, 2009 at 12:40 pm

not bad,nice one

• olachi August 24, 2009 at 12:42 pm

liked one or two of her combinations

• Kemchi August 24, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Love ur style girl, not quirky but very fashionable. Also luv d fact that u’re a bargain shopper, well done!

• Sultana August 24, 2009 at 2:47 pm

very safe style but niiiiiiice

• burramint August 24, 2009 at 3:17 pm

i love your style Chika, just like you said its simple!! i love ur shoes and bags!! and those white pants are so classic! good job

• Opium August 24, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I love the simplicity of the white pants and blue top..tres chic!

• ronke August 24, 2009 at 3:25 pm

BEST SO FAR!!!!!!!!! your style is mature yet so elegant reminds me of myself!!!

• Elpee August 24, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I like ur style… kinda similar to mine.. when u said i bargain shop but still come off as classy.. i’m like she’s me.. and the lips thing also applies to me but i just learnt wat shades to use and not to use.. i like attention in the right doses…

• Let me August 24, 2009 at 4:01 pm

More than anything you look comfortable and confident with what you wear. That’s what makes your style ‘pop’. :)

• Bola August 24, 2009 at 4:06 pm

this is my fave so far…

• Omo August 24, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Mehn…babes….no allow car hit u o this one wey u dey pose on top freeway

• Odunayo August 24, 2009 at 5:58 pm

You look exactly like a friend of mine but otherwise you’re style is very comfortable looking…and being comfy is my first priority!

Kudos!

• Ego August 24, 2009 at 6:05 pm

ya i love it very chic,sexy and simple kudos!igbos is repping! :)

• blessed child August 24, 2009 at 7:20 pm

very nice…lovely dresses. love the white pant n blue top…thumbs up

• THE AMAKA August 24, 2009 at 7:55 pm

really cute! i like.
    and she’s cute too :)

• Dorah August 24, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Hey…I know this girl. She’s sweet and used to (or maybe she still is) a cheerleader. Her style fits her and it’s great to see that she’s doing well.

• Chika August 24, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Thank You everyone for the comments so far I am glad that I am relatable to you guys. A lot of time naija babes get so caught up on trying to be so different that their style gets lost in translation. Thank you again : )

• miss b August 24, 2009 at 8:06 pm

LMAOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Chika August 24, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I just started to use a little more color in my lips as well. I have seen if you go to the make up counters like MAC they can usually help you out on discovering what color fits best with you shade. I have learned with darker shades burgandys and deep reds look best.

• Chika August 24, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Yes I was a cheerleder two years ago but I am on academic scholarship and it was hard to balance both.

• Dorah August 24, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Wow! Thanks for the info. School is always number one!

• Fashion stylist August 24, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Oh wow, chika is pretty!! Your style is very cute and refreshing, nice shoes, dresses, skirts, hair and makeup!
    Lovely!!!

• Nma August 25, 2009 at 3:19 am

hexcuse meeeee. Did u say the blue ankara clutch under the “night look” category is “vintage”??…interesting. Didn’t know they were making ankara clutches b4 b4 o. I thought it was new.

• Elpee August 25, 2009 at 5:00 am

bravo…. definately those colours wor… some shades of pink also r good…

• mia August 25, 2009 at 6:47 am

I don’t like ur style jo..hisss
    I kid i kid.. lolol.. wow chika lucky uu.. a lot of chics on “my style” have bn hated on..and u are d ist that i won’t see any hateful comment.. hehehee.. pple are getting mature thank God…
    me likey ur style :) oh and ur pretty..no homo!

• MiaJadore August 25, 2009 at 8:31 am

Very nice!………………………….

• africajose28 August 25, 2009 at 8:47 am

ONE WORD FEROCIOUS. GET IT CHIKA , WE NEED A FOLLOW UP.

• Lamide August 25, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Cute, cute , cute!! Love most of the looks
    And I see that pinky in the air! ;o)

• gbeborun August 25, 2009 at 6:24 pm

wao!! first my style where ppl r actually mature and not ripping d girl apart!!! big achievement o bella, u should celebrate.

• Chika U August 25, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Yea the clutch was found at a vintage store and there was no label in it either so I could not really tie it to anything but now that I think about it ….it is becoming a booming trend !!!!

• Fashion stylist August 25, 2009 at 8:46 pm

This has nothing to do with maturity, chika looks great and comes across as very nice and sweet, she just states her style without overblowing it!..Everytime i come back to this post, i see another thing i like..she has good taste!….most of the other girls described their styles like it was the best thing ever, when it was just womp womp….lol..

• aka1 August 25, 2009 at 10:18 pm

skeeweeee soror ur outfit is on point….

• Ms E August 26, 2009 at 12:41 am

Thank God, fashion stylist approves! The comment war will not ensue! Or is bellanaija censoring comments? (Just saying!) Chika, great style. It’s simple, tasteful and most importantly, you pull it off well. Love the grey sweater with blue shoes etc. Rock it girl! After seeing the demolition of the last ‘my style’ you could still put up your pics!!! Kudos to your bravery!

• Chika U August 26, 2009 at 5:06 am

thanx soror
    gamma tau
    spr 08
    the dyme
    are u a nigerian soror ???

• MsPerfect4 August 26, 2009 at 5:41 am

Beautiful as Always Soror :-)

• BRIDGET OTUBOR August 26, 2009 at 9:29 am

chika can l tell you a secret? you look fabulous in white.

• onyx August 26, 2009 at 9:43 am

awww…well done! girly….u just gave me on brilliant tip.. hope the experiment works on me…

I’m just smiling ..i luv luv luv..ehenn!!!..this is more like it..I am shoe crazy too mehn… i just love em.,..i luv your blue bcbg sandals..really classy..

nice one chika…nice one!!!

• onyx August 26, 2009 at 9:57 am

i have to agree with fashion stylist….there is nothing like people are getting matured…Chika presented her style as it simply is…most others were trying too hard and it just ended up so so…off! :( …if something is bad it is..if it is good it is good.,..ah ah!!! na wa oh!

I like her style because she wears her outfits.. they don’t wear her…you don’t get distracted by her outfit…it’s appealing and attractive without being offensive…and the make up is just on point…what more can i say.. I hope mia and co. understand. A++++++++

• africhika August 26, 2009 at 7:04 pm

it’s refreshing to see a “my style” post by a mature lady. chika comes across as down-to-earth, classy and fresh. her style is natural, and SIMPLE. i’d love to see her new haircut. au natural is the way to go! kudos

• Chika U August 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Thank you BRIDGET OTUBOR for the secret lol I never really wore white before so I am glad that I am getting such a positive response. As far as people getting mature I feel like you will always have haters regardless maybe this time they just did not have enough hate to comment on this page. I tried to make sure I kept it real I didn’t want to paint a picture that is not realy there or make it seem like mysyle is best thing ever and everyone needs to get with it. Anyone that knows me knows that this is how I really am just simple and I just do what is best for me. Thanks again for those who were able to see that in my style

• nelly August 29, 2009 at 11:06 am

one word… u’re a chic

• Tumi Jegede September 2, 2009 at 6:03 am

Hi Chika,

Nice style page my favourite outfits is the Forever 21 dress with the Nordstrom Italian shoes, simple yet effective.
    ………………………………..
    I just want to stand up for all the people who previously posted on Bella Naija style pages and just reinforce that this is an example of Chika’s style. It expresses her, and it appears from all the comments that she has got a pretty good combination, it is not only ‘her’ style, it is also well received by viewers. Most people don’t realise that personal style is not about pleasing other people, but communicating your personality through your clothes, if someone has clothes that appear to be over the top, well maybe they have a larger than life personality, equally maybe someone who has plainer clothes, is not a person who likes to stand out or grab attention. Who knows..

• Tumi Jegede September 2, 2009 at 6:08 am

‘Most of the other girls described their styles like it was the best thing ever.’

I think the impression I got was confidence and not arrogance, and there isn’t anything wrong with that.

• FirstIWantToDanceWithYouPere September 2, 2009 at 1:12 pm

na wa o!odikwa very serious!

• Uche Iheuk September 8, 2009 at 4:19 am

see i concur with Tumi…its HER style!!! and no one elses
    its fresh and cute..i like being dramatic…so shes the opposite of me
    nice combo!!

• Uche Iheuk September 8, 2009 at 4:23 am

tumi….who gives a f**k about fashion Stylists opinion?? if shes so great then she shud be famous by now….
    shes nothin but…womp womp….waste of space!!

• chinelo September 11, 2009 at 2:53 pm