The ‘Taé’ Lifestyle – Bisola Edun’s Taé reveals new collection

Posted on Thursday, October 29th, 2009 at 9:03 AM

By BellaNaija.com

On a recent episode of MNet’s Studio 53, Bisola Edun – creative head of Taé stated that ‘she would like Taé to be the first fashion label listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange. Ambitious? Yes; Possible? Absolutely!
Taé clothing is not haute couture instead it has a certain easy-to-wear quality that make them extremely versatile a la Tory Burch. Though the label is known for their ankara pieces, it is great to see them exploring other areas; their newly added line of tunics has to a lot of commercial potential. Definitely a brand worth watching.
Tae New Collection Bella Naija007Tae New Collection Bella Naija015Tae New Collection Bella Naija018Tae New Collection Bella Naija002Tae New Collection Bella Naija011Tae New Collection Bella Naija004Tae New Collection Bella Naija012Tae New Collection Bella Naija006Tae New Collection Bella Naija008tae nicole

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags:

• Custom Search
  • 35 Comments on “The ‘Taé’ Lifestyle – Bisola Edun’s Taé reveals new collection”

Comments
    • Bola Aduwo October 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Luvly… just hope they are not too pricey…

• dlapikin November 1, 2009 at 4:27 AM

the model is beautiful but the designs completely lack of originality…

• sweetie November 1, 2009 at 4:59 AM

looks good , wouldn´t mind some for me self

• Bola #1 November 1, 2009 at 5:01 AM

lovely, and best of luck getting on the NSE

• Just saying November 1, 2009 at 9:16 AM

…. lovely and very overpriced! i have never been able to understand how people thing they can sell ankara for 25k, come on, the thing cost 2k for 6 yards, then u add trimmings that cost 95dhs ($32) and then bam price tag N25k! i dnt know how u want us to support naija designers when there is no originality whatsoever. just saying.

• a mon avis November 1, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Nice designs bt it’s nothing out of the ordinary….dey are infact popular designs…..bt it’s good to know she’s doing something and people will buy them…

• Buttermint November 1, 2009 at 7:57 PM

i so second that………………makes no sense even if you add labor, e no reach that price

• ladi November 1, 2009 at 8:41 PM

When I get the lipstick jungle job, I can confidently support Nigerian designers like Tae.

I will probably equate this to H&M, Mango or Ann taylor: The designs not being exactly unique, relative exclusivity, and ‘moderate’ pricing.

I’ll definitely support Nigerian business by my tailor sewing for me with Nigerian-made ankara instead.

And many of these designers don’t even use made-in-Nigeria ankara like Nichem and Target but Vlisco Hollandais, Super Wax and co. Thats why they are quite pricey.

• Bola Aduwo November 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM

By the time you through some tailors that have ruined about N25,000 worth of ankara material you will understand why some ple can pay anythg to get a good dress!! Agreed when you buy the fabric for N2000 and you give some semi-illiterate seamstress who sews you a dress because your amateur drawing of a skirt and blouse was drawn together, you will understand! I have been dealt with by tailors thats why I buy ready to wear but if I have a few squid to pay, I will most certainly buy one or two of her clothes… Im paying for her talent as a designer not just the fabric. You dig?

• Noni November 1, 2009 at 11:09 PM

luvs da designs ma gurl Nikki doin it big ..)

• THE AMAKA November 2, 2009 at 1:09 AM

the model didnt do it for me
      (here we go, i might get the hater talk lol)
      and the designs over all were okay.
      i dont exactly remember but there was one designer that bella featured that i LOVED!!
      but i would hate to go back all those pages just to look for one thing.
      anyway, it was okay overall.

• Ibo Omoge November 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM

One thing I know is that I can never buy any ankara dress from a “famous” designer. It doesn’t make sense. Ankara in itself is a very glamorous material. Because of this, you don’t have to sew any complicated style to make it look good. Most of these styles are very basic, as in I have these dress styles but in another material. The ankara just makes it “pop”. They are beautiful no doubt but sorry, I ain’t doling out N25k upwards for a dress when I can get the material and give it to tailor-loran. Someone earlier asked why naija peole don’t usually patronize most of these ankara designers, this is the reason. And like someone else said, they are not original. It’s just the ankara talking. My tailor can sew all these styles.

• DAMI November 2, 2009 at 3:04 AM

nice..model looks like nicole chukwueke..am i right?

• Rebecca Roberts November 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM

Most people do not understand business, who is going to buy common Ankara for 25k, this woman/designer needs to wake up

• dlapikin November 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM

@ justsayin…
      Precisely my point.. the outfits look nice but they are not originals. The same old designs you can pick up at any mall around the globe: the only difference is the fabric… I mean is it enough to use ankara on played out designs to call one’s self a designer?
      I’ve been visiting this site for a while ( I’m not nigerian so I am discovering these people )and I must say I was wowed by Kosiba, Lanre Dasilva and a few others that really stand out… I think that they exults chic and creativity that could make anyone pay in the hundreds of dollars without feeling cheated.
      However when I see stuff like what this Tae is showing off i feel like I could go to any local seamstress with a forever 21 design and a colourful ankara, price it high and call myself a designer…

• Kayode Nerzxers November 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM

they are lovely designs. i love them .

• Lydia November 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Your tailor wont have time to detail your dress like TAE does. so, spend some money abeg.

• luvlife November 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM

please where does the article state the cost of each piece? where’s this 25,000 naira talk coming from?

• adora November 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I beg your pardon, some of these ankara cost as much as 16k to 20k, some clothes maker do not necessary use 2k ankara as you said.
      How much do you think the fabrics likes of H&M, Zara, Mango, Karen Millen, etc use???? sometimes they cost as little as $1 to $10 a yard (they buy in volume) but yet you rush in there and pay as much as $50 – $100 for an outfit and you think you are getting a bargain..shame on you!..and they also lack originality..they are copied off the runaway..so please let us try to support our Nigerian dress makers, they are running a business, not charity..bearing the costs of diesel, power surge, which leads to constant machine breakdown, etc. , cost of rent (in Millions of naira)..Why can they not be as rich as others in foreign land. Do nto be judgemental, if you can not afford it, keep quiet…butter on’se onje obo!
      adora

• adora November 2, 2009 at 11:08 PM

ask your tailor to sew an ankara without to copy these styles and spend days embellishing them in details and please let us know how ‘well done’ your tailor can make it. But yet you buy an outfit from a high street shop, the zips breaks or the threads pops, you do not complain because you do not know the designer face to face

• adora November 2, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Yes i dig you, o jare!..i am so with you!!!.. why can’t these people buy chiffon,and copy the dresses from IN-style, Vogue, etc… bear in mind chiffon can cost as little as N500… Ignorance!

• titi November 3, 2009 at 3:19 AM

my dear pple buy,o.infact ur s faithfully was planning to and is still going to get some of her outfits,went with a friend who got some things and as a matter of fact she wore the skirt when i saw her today and it s sooooooooo beautiful,i tell u it s money well spent,worth every dime if u can afford it

• ladi November 3, 2009 at 4:24 AM

the 10k-16k fabric is not even ankara that is made in Nigeria. Hollandais Vlisco, Dutch Wax etc. I’m from the Hausa North (and my mum used to sell) and we live on Hollandais so I know its not from Nigeria. Thats why people like Boxing Kitten and Matthew Williamson use the fabric without acknowledging Africa (I digress).

There are definitely other avenues (for lower income earners and for students like me) to support local designers eg. my tailor and Nichem, Nigerian made ankara.

• ladi November 3, 2009 at 4:26 AM

There are people who can afford. It is just not majority.

• BiggestBossThusFar November 3, 2009 at 6:09 AM

If they were well-designed and tailored, would you?

• Ibo Omoge November 3, 2009 at 6:32 AM

Oh please! Spare me! Embellishing my #$@%. Do you have to be special to be able to embellish clothes? The styles you are even talking about are NOT original so what’s all this talk about “copying”?

• Just saying November 3, 2009 at 9:48 AM

my friend keep quiet there. take a look at the pictures agan, half of the ankara that is there i have and they cost 3k at the most. so dont come and spew this nonsese about 16k ankara abeg.

• Support local design November 3, 2009 at 11:45 AM

@just saying, you made some important points earlier which I agree with. The cost of the ankara isnt really that important, its when you combine it with a basic unoriginal design like the second to last image that people feel ripped off. I dont know what the price of that piece is but if it was expensive I would question why.

In her defense, Zara fabrics are a lot cheaper than 3k a yard but they spend a lot of money creating a perceived value for their product that Tae might not have, they also dont have to contend with their customer having access to the same workforce as they do so they never have to worry “how much would a local tailor make this for”
      This is the reason nigerian designers avoided this fabric for so long, and jewel by lisa has to bead it for days to make it acceptable, when the truth is chiffon is cheaper than ankara, but you can make a flowing gown call it “couture” and have people fighting to pay you 50k.

In this case though the creativity level of these designs is “high street” and I think the prices should reflect that…but not the london or new york high street.

• LOLLLLL November 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM

ladies, ladies, why can’t we all just get along? put the claws away, click “save as” on the styles you like, stow them away in your “inspiration” folder on your computer (*smiles*), show them to your tailor, give the overpriced ones you don’t like the side eye…and keep it moving. you know that’s what several of you have already done anyway…the “save as” bit, i mean ;-) while we’re here having a go at Tae, Tae’s in her store in GRA cashing out and laughing all the way to the bank. there’ll always be folks who’ll pay her prices – rant from now ’till tomorrow…it won’t change nada. for those who can’t/won’t, console yourself with the knowledge that you can copy them for much less. she copied them anyway ;-) my rule is this – copy what you can replicate, pay for or pine over what you can’t.

oh, and let’s be a little nicer where our african/nigerian designers are concerned. they’re not that much different from their western counterparts and have to put up with everyday bullsh*t (rent, diesel, etc.). why are we happy to fork out big dough for designers like black halo and tory burch anyway?? a good naija tailor will make a fiiiiiiiine black halo dress for you! i speak from experience! LOL. less hypocrisy and more honesty and the world’ll be a better place :-)

p.s. that waistcoat is totally getting copied, LOL. the fabric’ll cost me 2,000 or less, the sewing’ll cost me 1,500, and my chief sequiner (lol) will hook me up for 2,000 or less sef. i tire for you ladies who sit here and type when you can follow my example. tae: tens of thousands. tailor-ran: 6,500 or less. for everything else, there’s the ability to leave anonymous comments on bellanaija :-D

• NNena November 4, 2009 at 4:18 AM

I love your spirit ojare…

• Zaine November 4, 2009 at 1:05 PM

but then you can’t exactly get an outfit from most of the Nigerian designers for $50-$100…maybe a piece of the material since it costs about that much to buy…so technically, Zara an Co. would be a bargain….not that i’m against the Nigerian designers though….

• lifeofastranger November 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I guess I would like to add my 2 cents :).

Well I’ve been meaning to purchase a whole lota materials from that vlisco website. I tried calling my great friend whose mum happens to sow really nice sturves, to find out if its worth spending the 60plus euros (cause I saw like 20 of them I really really loveee), cause my plan was to contact my darling Zebra to design them into her lovely chick urban outfits (with my own fabrics from vlisco of course). So gulu tells me that even in the US they don’t spend that much on fabrics, and besides Vlisco is high quality material and so I am actually paying for the quality.

Going back to this debate. If each of the 6yards fabric I wanted was round about 14,100 naira; in the end the cost of getting a designer (be it a low cost or a high end tailor) would cost me quite a bit. And I think if you are purchasing something from these designers, then you would expect that they are using high quality materials (plus the cost of their time (per hour) and the cost of the design). Which I dont mind really. They may not be Dolce and Gabbana or any famour designer we may know, but I guess everyone has to start from somewhere.

I think in the end, I am still going to get me those materials. I’m saving up, so I dont feel guilty when I splash out on them. Plus the consultation fee with the designer. Auch, but I’m saving :).

• wow! November 9, 2009 at 12:17 AM

be a sweetheart and send your tailors digits to me!!! :-)

• Soraya November 11, 2009 at 12:30 AM

‘To a certain extent, pricing in the fashion industry is ruled by fashion itself. High fashion is all about exclusivity – and to exclude people, you have to make things too expensive for them to afford. This is one of the reasons why some high fashion items cost a lot more than they appear to be worth. A genuine Prada beaded bag may feature better workmanship than a River Island copy made from the same materials, but it doesn’t feature a hundred pounds’ worth of better workmanship. What matters is its exclusivity.”

• kelechi May 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM

long and short,if you can afford it,buy if you cant quit hating.good tailors are hard to find and we know it.factories have closed in naija because the cost of production is way to high!!!!!so lets stop pretending and besides do you think your tailor enjoys the nonsense you pay him/her and you wonder after all this years,why they are still in the ragedy shop you first met him in and your still uncomfortable while you are in the shop.