‘Retro Sexy Redefined’ – NouveauRiche 8485

Posted on Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 at 8:45 AM

By Ijeoma Ndekwu

We all love us some Ankara, don’t we? And there are a good number of African designers who work with it and create fabulous pieces for us to lust over. However, a big challenge for them is differentiating their brand from others who work with the fabric.

NouveauRiche 8485(NR 8485) has managed to give their Ankara pieces a different “song to sing” . Their pieces are captivating and I get no sense of déjà vu with them.

NouveauRiche 8485 was born out of the desire to create one of a kind pieces infused with culture and a refined edge. Creators Tolani Aremu andKolapo Alex-Oni aim to bring the polished stylings of their native Nigeria to the fashion forefront.

The intent behind the brand is to overcome style barriers, continually challenge convention, and push the extraordinary. Empowered and inspired to create these distinctive conversational pieces, Nouveau Riche 8485 sets out to present a brand of undeniable dimension, depth and aesthetic.”- NoveauRiche8485

Their debut collection features 5 pieces mostly in traditional Anakara, but with fabric mixes with cotton and mesh. I like how they work with Ankara; their designs come off as a contemporary interpretation with tulip shapes , dramatic sleeves, body conscious dresses and bodycon skirts, and inserts like mesh, zipper details and chain links .

It’s  retro sexy re-defined; from the short lengths to the bold cuts and styling. Although a small collection, the pieces are very strong; immaculately finished, polished and refined.

I’m really liking the personality I’m getting from this brand and I look forward to their future offerings.

View NouveauRiche 8485 debut collection:

W: Nouveauriche8485.com
E: Info@nouveauriche8485.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 42 Comments on “‘Retro Sexy Redefined’ – NouveauRiche 8485”

Comments
    • shade October 6, 2010 at 8:55 AM

This is really nice! Definitely feeling it. Totally wearable too. Loving pics 2 and 4. The models and hair are also amazing.

• Africhic October 6, 2010 at 9:37 AM

What is this! i particularly do not find any of these styles appealing. I sense a lot of Deja Vu to respond to the write up. I am sorry but thats my take.

BTW i am first to commenet ….(now hand me my prize)

• tama October 6, 2010 at 10:07 AM

horrible make up sorry to say

• gwen October 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm , coolllllllllllllll

• tolu October 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM

this is sooo bad! the make up looks horrible.

• RMG October 6, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Apart from the poorly postured models and their not so fantastic hairstyles,I love it!!!

• fokasibe October 6, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I like pix 2, 5 and 5 (without the chains on the back o)…well done guys, gives me ideas for some ankara I’ve to send to my tailor…

• fokasibe October 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM

2,4 and 5 I meant*

• anonymous October 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM

love it

• sholly babe October 6, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Hmmm….na waya!

• gbeborun October 6, 2010 at 2:08 PM

This dresses are hot, love love love it

• Theresa October 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I’m loving the thread hairstyle in the 4th pic. Wish we could all go back to having our hair like that…lol

• Omada October 7, 2010 at 12:37 AM

me too!!!!!

• moki October 7, 2010 at 4:47 AM

Nodding my head about the threaded hairstyle. Very Organic. Now if only I could get away wearing that instead of weaves, i will save A LOT of dough. lol. I love it though. First time seeing it in high fashion. GO GO GO!

• hawtncool October 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I absolutely love this….its refreshing, stylish and most of all Wearable…Good job guys

• Tawni October 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Loving the designs..wearable, fashion forward with an ethnic twist…I’d rock it!!!
      The Tawni Logues (freelance writing services) add it on Facebook!

• Anonymous October 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!… creative yet sexy

• hawtncool October 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM

cant stop admiring the creativity…..one of my new favorite lines

• nuella October 6, 2010 at 8:14 PM

errr… wat creativity?? d dress wit mesh top? i’ve one just like that from Asos.com from 5months ago. you cant just copy RECENT styles (emphasis on RECENT, esp highstreet) in local fabric and think we buy ur ‘creativity’.
      I’m annoyed. try again pls.

• Ms P October 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Thank you my sister…exactly wat i was thinkin! English styles with African fabrics. hiss!

• lahlah October 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I love the model’s look especially the simbi is a girl hair

• zoe October 6, 2010 at 11:18 PM

real retro sexy. not deja vu at all. @ tama and tolu, the focus is d clothes. horrible makeups and funky hairstyles tend to go well with a great deal of fashion designers. nice pieces NoveauRiche8485

• Tosin October 7, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Well done to the designers

• kenora October 7, 2010 at 8:51 AM

i love th dress

• lapseyberry October 7, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Dis are rily nice designs tolani……….nd d model wore all designs well…….weldone temmy

• Ginika October 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I am feeling all of them!!!! Kudos and the hair styles esp the African ones… Very Very proud of what designers are doing in my Naija… keep repping!

• kemmy October 7, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Pls i need to know who did this makeup. As in this is awful…. not fair at all… nothing creative about this piece.. Not impressed..

• Oluchi October 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM

horrible meke ups and hair dos. Abeg give us something better. The dresses are okay; Nothing I haven’t seen.

• Debbizzle October 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM

d dresses r realy nice

• Oladips October 7, 2010 at 8:39 PM

A new Perspective, I like it

• D.O.T.M.H. October 7, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I like that the model is not skinny

• bee October 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM

who took these pictures??

• Toyin October 8, 2010 at 1:01 AM

All the negative comments lets me know the world is still full of haters and people that no nothing about the fashion industry. Half of the naysayers, I’m sure, are printing these pictures out to take to their tailors. White America (Gwen Stefani) is getting rich off using native fabric with Western style….why not one of our own??!! I think these designs are wonderful and a modern contemporary take on native traditional wear.

• truewords October 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I couldn’t have said it any better. very true!

• Ujubaby October 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Dat model’s really working ‘em dresses. Nice one, kudos!

• LERATO October 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM

OMG THE 2ND PIC!!!!!!!!!! WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE MAKEUP ARTIST? IS THIS THE BAST NIGERIA CAN OFFER? OH MA WORD, I HAVE NO WORDS

• zeenie October 9, 2010 at 6:55 AM

love it! love it !! love it !!! the clothes are wearable and they looked good on the models… thumbs up!!!

• LUSCIOUS LUSH October 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM

truly inspired,truly nigerian

• bada bing bada bang October 14, 2010 at 7:32 AM

NAWA o my naija ppl please learn to not say anything if you do not have anything GOOD to say…lets stop tearing each other down; instead encourage each other!

Great clothes!

• ms floetry October 14, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Whats with allthe negativity . you guys are taking this too far. Have you stopped to think that the makeup is borderline as part of the styling. very futuristic esp in pic 2. i agree on the fact that the designs are not that original but face is they are good and wearable

• Nifesimi November 5, 2010 at 1:21 AM

iLove the last dress with the 3 chunky black chains in the back.

• Folake March 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa! i laughed till i peed on myself!!!! what on earth is this? and the girl looks bozo