BN Hot Topic: A Christmas to Remember

Merry Christmas All!!!!! I trust you are all having a wonderful Christmas!

As I type this, I am sitting in my Uncle’s living room with a full stomach. I can hardly move as my body slowly releases digestive juices to soften the colossal amount of food I have eaten today. Yam and eggs, plantain, rice, gizzard, chicken, cake, custard, fruits, pepper soup, wine, juice, you name it, I have eaten it today!

Then again that is what Christmas is all about. Family, fun, food and the memories shared during these times. Today, as we had our usual family Christmas champagne breakfast, my family and I reminisced on the events of the previous years. We all concluded that God had been faithful and before we could say anything my uncle started singing a hymn and the whole family joined in. Before long we were all on our feet, our voices resounding of the walls and our glasses in the air. It was all I could do not to get emotional. I realised there and then that my family is possibly the most important thing to me and that many of my fondest memories are the ones I have shared with them, especially at Christmas time.

I remember when I was younger, my whole extended family would troop down to our home town of Asaba, Delta State. Like sugar crazed children, my cousins and I would wake up bright and early and begin to crusade from one cousin’s house to the other leaving a pile of dirty dishes, empty mineral bottles and messy living rooms in our wake. Only to wake up the following day and start all over again. On Christmas day, we would gather at my dad’s older brother’s house and eat. We would eat, drink, play video games, watch movies and catch up. We would then brag about who got what for Christmas. At the end of the Christmas period, right before we all returned to our respective city homes, our aunties and uncles would hand us plenty naira notes. This was usually the highlight of the Christmas period as we all tried to see who got the most cash. As mundane as this account may seem, this yearly tradition is what I believe is responsible for the close bond I share with my cousins. Today, many of cousins are my best friends, sisters, brothers and confidants. There is hardly a move I make in my life without getting advice from at least one of them and the feeling I believe is mutual. So while I don’t have one specific memory of Christmas, the sum of my memories of this festive occasion is the love I have and continue to share with both my nuclear and extended family.

But enough about me. What is your favourite Christmas memory? Is it from when you were a child or is it more recent? What made the memory special? Or are you more like me and the sentiments behind the Christmas events are what you recall more fondly? What family traditions did you enjoy?

Let’s all share our Christmas joy, cheer and memories!!!!!

Let me just use this opportunity to send out huge Christmas greetings to everyone. We at Bellanaija.com wish you the very best of Christmas joy and the choicest of God’s blessings in the new year!

Photo Credit: www.karateperth.com

27 Comments on BN Hot Topic: A Christmas to Remember
  • chichi December 26, 2010 at 12:54 am

my best christmas memory would def have to be last yr xmas coming back to NIGERIA for the first time after living in the states for 7yrs………. mehn the feel of that hot air, the vibe of the people i felt so at home… i loved everything, clubbing, the weddings, and meeting family members…… ill be there next year hopefully also as Miss AfricaUSA 2011………….
    follow me on twitter @chichi_of_NIG

• TinaIke December 26, 2010 at 12:57 am

One of my favorite christmas memory is similar to yours as a kid my family would take road trips from Kano to Imo State, the joy of travelling with family(mom, dad, siblings) all in one car, also seeing grandma/pa/relatives in the village, hometown scenery and food was always fresh and memorable, and connecting with my roots are my fondest memories of christmas, i miss home esp during this holiday,but am glad i had those memories to share with my adopted new country! Thanks BN team for great content always! Keep it up…

• bb December 26, 2010 at 1:13 am

Yay first

• Pizzazz December 26, 2010 at 1:31 am

YEAH!!! Merry Christmas to all of you too! I can’t say exactly which xmas has been my best cause I always hope the next is better,but I think the ones spent in my grandparents house with all my cousins around and before everyone dispersed were the most heart-warming. I would give anything to have all my cousins and aunts around for one more Christmas, and most of all, my grandpa.

@Glory,this is ur twitter follower pizzazz890! Hi! merry xmas!

• Gbemi December 26, 2010 at 1:34 am

While I have many fond memories of Christmas as a child; new clothes and shoes, parties,presents and all that food, my favourite Christmas by far would have to be the one after our wedding. We had only been married about 6 or so weeks.

We didn’t have a lot of things. In fact, our mattress was on the floor cos we couldn’t afford a bed yet. We also didn’t have dstv, so we spent the whole day in bed (or should I say on the floor *cheeky grin*), watching a dvd of prison break and stuffing our faces… pure bliss…

It was a very different Christmas for me in more ways than one. Besides being my first Christmas in my own home, my father had passed on earlier that year. That was my first Christmas without him and I missed him soooooo much.
    You know what I did? I made a conscious decision that day to focus an the things I had and be grateful to God for them instead of being sad about what I didn’t have and that has changed the way I celebrate Christmas every year.
    Now I spend the day, or most of it at least, in bed, a real one now, thank God :-), spending quality time with D and the munchkins. I also take time out to review my goals for the year and I find that I always have reasons to be thankful cos God has been faithful.

• NNENNE December 26, 2010 at 2:07 am

No comments yet? Unbelieveable! Just back from work. TTYL.

• Justme December 26, 2010 at 3:17 am

My favorite Christmas memory takes me back to my childhood. We start cooking for christmas the night before, cooking and frying meat, blending tomatoes, onions, tatashe and boiling it ready for stew, while at the same time listening to Christmas carols. Then we got ready for night mass. When we got back, we went to bed and woke up early the next day to continue cooking where we left off. We kids would fight amongst ourselves pertaining to who will go and bring xmas food to the neighbors. We knew that our palms will leave with naira notes once we deliver the food. Then we got ready for Christmas morning mass. When we got back, the festivities began. We kids hopped from one house to the other and each house with left gave us money. That was the fun part. My cousin, siblings and I also went to those 4 or 5 star hotels. They always had xmas activities organized for children such as father Christmas (santa claus) along with prizes to win and live music and entertainment. We dived into the hotel’s pool that was packed with kids enjoying themselves. It was fun. Those were the good old days. Now, here in America, Xmas is boring as hell! All we do is cook, eat, open gifts and watch movies. Nothing dey happen. Sigh!

• Nina E. December 26, 2010 at 3:56 am

Christmas 2008…all the members of my immediate family, abroad and in Nigeria, reunited. It was so wonderful being with the ones I love most. *tears*

• mary007 December 26, 2010 at 4:38 am

This is just to tell BN thank you for being part of my life, you make my idle time worthwhile. God bless you and your team really good. Happy new year

• medina December 26, 2010 at 2:22 pm

for me, xmas meant new clothes, new shoes, exotic soft drinks practising for the ‘CLOSE Party’ which takes place on the night of christmas.
    The funny thing is: im from a muslim family BUT my parents never left us out in the celebration… i remember one xmas where we all thronged to the National Theatre to watch a movie(film)the place was jam packed and i remember how my mum spread a mat, we offloaded all the goodies from the car and munched away, i also remember throwing up much later after eating soooo much.
    In my adult life, my first christmas with my husband was very ordinary, He slept most of the day while i browsed the internet….after over-cooking.

• jummie December 26, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Bless u BN,we have a family tradition of travling home every xmas.my mom is always in the kitchen cooking for every one.not only on xmas but each time we come home pple come to our house to eat until we leave.both my parents has past away. Am glad my brother has continued with tradition, but the only snag is his wife is a selfish person she does’nt like to see pple around.but Tk GOD for my sister and my late brother’s wife they are forever in the kitchen cooking and sharing until we leave.i beliv both my parents will be happy watching wat’s going on in our home.

• NINA December 26, 2010 at 3:58 pm

XMAS GROWING UP IN NIJA WAS A BLAST WE WOULD TRAVEL TO THE VILLAGE FROM LAGOS WHICH IS A GHOST TOWN AT XMAS…UPON ARRIVAL TO THE VILLAGE..WE WOULD VISIT OUR COUSINS AND ALL EXTENDED FAMILIES’ HOMES, EATING AND BEING GREGARIOUS…WE ALSO ATTENDED CHIEFTAINCY TITLES. TRADITIONAL MARRIAGES, NUMEROUS FESTIVITIES AND CELEBRATIONS..AND PPL WOULD DISH OUT NAIRA NOTES..NOW HERE IN AMERICA..XMAS IS LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE AND DEPRESSING..THE ONLY PPL THAT SEEM TO ENJOY XMAS ARE MY YOUNG KIDS WHO ARE SO EXCITED ABOUT XMAS..AND I AM TRYING TO FEEF OFF OF THEIR ENTHUSIASM…I HAVE BEEN SO EXHAUSTED WITH MY FINAL EXAMS FOR MY SECOND MASTERS PROGRAM, AND RUNNING AROUND FROM ONE STORE TO ANOTHER TRYING TO BUY THINGS FOR THE FAMILY AND FOR XMAS…I ALSO HAVE TWO KIDS BIRTHDAYS IN JNAUARY.MY ANXIETY LEVEL LITERALLY UPSURGES DURING XMAS…AND THIS ISNT HOW IT WAS FOR ME GROWING UP IN NIJA

• Get Nigeria Jobs December 26, 2010 at 4:58 pm

My Christmas is -ed as i live far away from my family so know way to eat that nice delicious Christmas rice and pounded yam my family always make every Christmas. So i guess am still holding my last year Christmas celebration with my family on my head. This year i ate my Christmas meals in a fast food Restaurant. which is not like what mom and my sister use to prepare for Christman. wel, i guess thats what becoming a man is. a time will come when u have to leave ur family and start one of ur own.

• Anyi December 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm

hey,xmas with my family is usually the best time for me,because that is when I connect at most with everyone and there are no hard feelings…No matter what people say,having a family is one of the most important things that has probably happened to mankind,with a family there to support u,advice u at all times of the and to encourage u when one falls.Spending time with one`s family in God`s name is really one of the best way to celebrate this period of festivities.Merry Xmas and a prosperous New Year to u all.

• kreamy December 26, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Last year’s xmas was d best as I had 2 go 2 d villa 4 my uncles wedding. Its wonderful wit all my cousins,uncles n aunts around wit so much 2 eat. Spendin time wit family is d best feelin in d world.

• Timma December 26, 2010 at 11:19 pm

My favourite xmas memory was 4weeks into my marriage, we postponed our honeymoon until the xmas week and spent it @ Miccom golf resort Ada,osun state, it was very quiet and peaceful after which we joined his family @ Osogbo, where i was treated like a queen, 3years later to this xmas i greatly treasure this memory as he passed on early in the year after a brief illness. That memory kept me going this xmas. Merry xmas and a happy new year in advance everyone.

• Ready December 28, 2010 at 2:40 am

My sympathies. I pray that God gives you unimaginable strength to carry on as well as the courage and happiness you need. I wish you a better year filled with joy and immeasurable peace. Happy New Year babes.

• lizzy December 28, 2010 at 10:53 am

Aww, so sorry about your loss. May God continue to strengthen you and all those he left behind. Always remember that he’s not going to ever be ill anymore ok?

• Gbemi December 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

awww…I pray that God would comfort you the way only He can… words fail me *sigh*

• Aibee December 31, 2010 at 9:53 am

Timma, so sorry about your loss. May God comfort you and give you the strength to carry on. And may you find true love again.

• Vinny July 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Alakazaam—information found, problem soevld, thanks!

• Rita Ohai December 28, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Gosh Timma, I truly admire ur strenght. I pray you find true love again. Godbless your heart, hands and mind. 2011 is your year, all the best dear!!!!

• bcgeorge December 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm

merry xmas y’all

• myne Whitman December 28, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Merry christmas to you all too and may 2011 be a great one!

• Aibee December 31, 2010 at 9:52 am

My best Christmas memory is the one form the Year 2010. Just last week. On christmas day, I watched the MAMA Awards on T.V with my siblings, went to my Aunty’s place for the Annual Christmas Lunch. On Boxing Day, we hosted the annual Christmas Party(for the extended family). My nuclear and extended family had so much to be thankful for. I was delivered from Rapists/Robbers/Kidnappers on 1st December 2010, my mother survived a car accident in Ogun State, my brother’s broken leg was healed with narry a scar, my siblings gained admission, two of my siblings were delivered from death in a burning vehicle on the way to school. My extended family was blessed with two babies in the latter part of the year with one born just 3 days to Christmas. Thank You Jesus for your faithfulness.

• missboss January 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Am so sorry Timma, the Good Lord will be ur comforter and he will reach u at every point of your need.