BN Hot Topic: Keeping Safe!

While the whole of Nigeria is engaged in heated debate over who will be our next president, my office was thrown into utter turmoil yesterday afternoon by something of an entirely different nature.

At exactly 2:30pm, my colleague who had received a telephone call from an unknown number let out a loud scream and fell to the floor crying. The whole office gathered round her and tried to make sense of her tear filled babbling. A few moments later she left for home and it was only this morning that the exact details of her situation became entirely clear. Her 16 year old son had been the victim of a group of suspected 419/ritualists in Lagos. According to her, it was only by the sheer grace of God that the young lad managed to escape the hands of his captors.

The day began like any normal day, as her son who is currently preparing to retake his JAMB set out to the Library as he did every morning. As he walked towards his usual bus stop, and was approached by a man who spoke to him first of all in French and then later on in broken English. The man claimed he had some goods with a customs officer near by and needed help calculating the costs of such goods and their equivalent in his foreign currency. He went on to claim that he did not understand Nigerians and was afraid he was being cheated, so he needed the boy’s young and bright mind to help him. At first, my colleague’s son ignored him, but the man persisted and some seemingly innocent passerby’s also encouraged him to help. Reluctantly he agreed. It was only later he realized that these innocent passerby’s were also in on the deal.

Two hours and two bus rides later, the boy found himself in Ajegunle being forced to enter a house which his assailants claimed housed the Customs officer and said goods. Sensing that something was amiss he refused insisting instead that the goods be brought outside. A few moments later the Customs Officer came out of the house and also began to coax the boy. Sensing that the boy wouldn’t budge they tried a different tactic. The duo and their accomplices began to discuss the financial potential of the goods and asked the boy to swear an oath of secrecy with them by drawing crosses on the floor and making a blood oath. Now utterly petrified, the boy refused and suggested instead that he would swear using the Bible in his school bag.

At this point his captors lost patience and began to beat him. They explained that their real purpose for abducting him was to kill him and that he was making things very difficult for himself. The boy began to plead for his life and for some reason his captors released him. They gave him N40 and asked him to keep running without looking back. He did as he was told, entered the first bus he could find and collapsed in tears. It was while in the bus that a helpful passenger gave him a phone to call his mother.

Goosebumps permeated the surface of my skin as my colleague recounted this story to me this morning. What was even more surprising was that almost everyone who heard the tale either had personally experienced something similar or knew someone who had. Although their experiences may not have been as diabolical and dire as my colleague’s son, they were chilling and frightening none the less. I am sure we can all remember the various kidnapping incidents that occurred recently. When 10 month old Enioluwa, Ify Eneli and Micheal Neri were kidnapped in Lagos. Thankfully all parties where safely returned to their families but we can only imagine what turmoil the families faced during the period before their successful release.

Stories of attempted 419, alleged ritual abductions and kidnapping seem rife in our country and it gets even more worrying when these stories hit close to home. But what is the solution to this issue? Have we as a country become less vigilant or aren’t there enough punitive measures to deter such offenders? Or has the state of our economy become so dire that people are willing to do absolutely anything to get ahead? In times of complete anarchy and insecurity, where is our safety as a nation? In the hands of the government, police or high fences with “Beware of Dog” signs hanging loosely at the gate? Have you or someone you know been the victim of such attempts? How did you/they manage to escape?

Let’s discuss!!!

68 Comments on BN Hot Topic: Keeping Safe!
  • Tiki April 15, 2011 at 11:28 am

I am FIRST!

• Nonye April 15, 2011 at 11:33 am

May God help us! people need to properly educated on these REAL issues….. thanks for sharing Glory!

• Tiki April 15, 2011 at 11:33 am

Two months ago, I was attacked by a group of armed men on my way home from the airport, we had car trouble and ended up stopping in a quiet area.My two girlfriends and I lost our bags and everything in it, the thieves tried to rape a friend but her jeans were so tight they had trouble removing them, and neighbours who heard the commotion began switching on lights, so they ran off. I’ve never been so scared in my life, and my friend still has nightmares! I cant imaging how the poor child must have felt, but I’m glad he’s ok. It’s not surprising we have lost our sense of solidarity and empathy towards our fellowman, when things like this happen. Thank God for His protection.

• TAMA April 15, 2011 at 11:47 am

its a pity
    wat pple do for power

• honey koko April 15, 2011 at 11:48 am

Sad indeed.

• FumzyO April 15, 2011 at 11:50 am

Chilling!

• Gemma April 15, 2011 at 11:51 am

You know what’s shocking about this is how popular it still is. I remember the days of Otokoto years ago in Owerri. The person that was sent out to find a scape goat cornered this little boy in the bush, unfortunately for him a palm wine tapper high up in a tree saw him when he cut off the boys head and put it in a sack abandoning the little boy’s body. The tapper took the boys body to the police station and there was a hunt for the killer. They found the bastard and bunged the idiot in prison then they made him hold the boys head and took a picture of it and published it in the ‘Times’ newspaper (I think that was the name). Anyway the mother sucker was killed in prison and Otokoto’s hotel was raided, they found heads and limbs buried all over the garden. A massive riot ensued as people took to the streets burning down houses. As far as they were concerned if you had a nice looking duplex you were a ritualist and your house going down. These people forget that there is a GOD!!

• MsLuffa April 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm

how horrific!!! i understand the outrage, but to then go about burning houses – that’s insane. Sounds like it became a class war – poor people mad at rich people etc…

• LovesPost April 15, 2011 at 11:52 am

Dear Lord, please have mercy!

• Someone April 15, 2011 at 11:54 am

hmmm

• DU April 15, 2011 at 11:55 am

The same story the day I encountered them around Yaba, but I was very vigilante and quickly walk pass them, cause u can not tell you have such huge business and u re soliciting help on the street. My advice to people is to be very vigilante and careful. GOOD THINGS DON’T COME CHEAP N GOOD BUSINESS DON’T WALK ON THE STREET. Shine ur eyes

• DU April 15, 2011 at 11:58 am

Thank God the boy was not hurt.

• isy April 15, 2011 at 12:08 pm

something quite similar happened to me earler this year, however it didn’t get to the point of following them or getting beaten. .

• Miss J April 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I had goosebumps reading this. Thank God he was ok. I think peopel have to remain vilgilant and avoid becoming complacent. If something doesn’t feel right, then run!
    Again everything is not the fault of the government, we as individuals must also be on our guard.

• Biggie girl' April 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

that’s a great write up.

• Lil miss sunshine April 15, 2011 at 12:26 pm

It is no longer news that during elections ritual killings and kidnapping are on the increase. People invest so much money and resources during the elections and are hell bent on winning even if it means using diabolical means to achieve their interests. God help this nation!.

• Ima April 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I’ve witnessed something similar to this before. I stayed at Abraham Adesanya, Lekki-Ajah then. I went for my driving lesson to learn to drive a manual car. I decided to take a drive outside the estate where you have those new developments and almost empty roads. Suddenly, we noticed a girl crying cross the road begging me to stop. I told my driving teacher that I couldn’t stop in the middle of nowhere (it was just us, bushes and this girl with a bike driving off) for a girl I have never met. This was as early as 9 to 10AM. We finally stopped and she ran to us pointing a bike that was driving off. Apparently the bike driver and his passenger had convinced her of some goods they had to see and whatever. She was on her way back from mass in the morning when she met them. She said she didn’t want to enter the bike but couldn’t explain how she finally agreed and got to where they where. They had been in this bike ride for at least 15mins judging from where we met her and where she told me she lived. As we drove her away she began to remember more details. The most she remembered was that she was praying with her rosery. I eyes were so red with tears and she was shaking. Seems she had lost her memory on meeting these men. I’ve never seen such a thing in my life. She was shaking badly. I asked my tutor to give her transport cos I didn’t come out with any cash and she didn’t have any cash either as her church was a walking distance from her house. Please be careful people. This happened around August 2010. I remember her telling me she wanted to help the men and I asked her “how do you think you can help two grown men, she was barely 15! This was certainly the hand of God in action.

• Ronke April 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Most of the people that solicit assistance or discuss business with you on the street are dubious people. They are always lurking around bus stops waiting for preys,we all have to be vigilant especially now that a lot of people believe in blood money.

• Ex-boy April 15, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Uh!!! I REALLY DON’T KNOW IF IT IS NIGERIA THAT HAS FAILED US OR IF IT IS NIGERIANS. I am very glad that the boy survived. Thank GOD for his GRACE upon his people even in a Country such as Nigeria. Be careful all.

• THE AMAKA April 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm

i believe its simply a dominoe effect of the corruption and the wrongdoings of the Nigerian government that lead its citizens to do unimaginable things. smh.

• MsLuffa April 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm

i don’t think this is a country specific thing though… it’s more to do with poverty. Poverty makes people do crazy things across the world.

• Jay April 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm

had a similar experience when i was much younger. was on my way to my mum’s place of work when a guy approached me and was trying to ask directions, i was confused cos i wasn’t sure of where he was going to and he quickly went on to say that i was on my period(which was true, only God knows how he was aware of that) and that there were some people trying to hurt me but he could be of help. i crossed over to the other side of the road only to be approached by another guy (guy no.1 crossed with me) who said the first guy had a gift of seeing things and i should listen to him, that he had told him things about himself that no one knew of. i still did not utter a word but just kept moving.i wont say i was too smart for them but the grace of God was more than sufficient for me that day.they got tired and stopped following me when i obviously wasn’t responding.these days, i hardly give beggars money, even good looking people that might be genuinely stranded, i wont talk to you and certainly do not give directions to anywhere….may the good lord continue to guide and protect us.

• The real miss pinky.. April 15, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Hmmmmm, thank God this boy survived.
    I also have a similar story of something that happened to me in primary school.
    A lady came to start a conversation with my brother and I while we waited in front of Fountain primary school for my mum to pick us up from school. She asked about all the members of our family and we were convinced that the lady must be a friend of the family.
    She them proceeded to get rid of my brother by asking him to go and look for her son in a “non-existing primary 5 purple”. My brother protested but eventually left, leaving me alone with this woman. She then told me to come along with her to buy ice-cream. I do not remember what happened after then but I was later found 10 minutes walking distance from the school. I had no idea where the lady was or what I was doing there.
    All I know is that God saved me that day and he has a purpose for my life.
    We all have to be very prayerful for ourselves and our friends and family.
    My greatest fear which prevents me from moving back to Nigeria is the safety of life an property… The stories I hear are so scary to the extent that I have already started fasting and praying regarding my wedding in Nigeria in December….
    God help Nigeria….

• Dr Dee April 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Whilst not trying to trivialise this issue, I’m certian that this was not a ritual killing attempt. I encountered some people around Tinubu square on Lagos Island with a similar story some years ago. One of them was a foreigner who needed money to “wash” some dollars he had stolen from his boss. I still cant explain why, but I actually followed them to a house in Idi-Araba to see the “unwashed dollars”. I realised it was a scam and left them with a lie promising to return with the money they needed. Please lets all remain vigilant!!!!

• Temi April 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Thank God he escaped oh! May God protect us all…

• dubem April 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

wow! hell is rily breaking loose all in d name of election nd getting rich quick. Stakes are rily high during elections especially in Nigeria I guess dast wat one gets wen dere are over 20 political parties. Thank God d boy is alive

• Doubie April 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm

We live in a scary world. Thanks for sharing this.

• Miss ATL April 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

This world sha! May God have mercy on us all.

• nicky minaj April 15, 2011 at 2:17 pm

This thing is quite common. Growing up i remember my neighbour gave all the electronics to two men who accosted her and asked her for directions, next thing she knew she had given dem all in her parentes house. It also happened last year also to a frnd who gavve her office money to dubious plp who asked for help. Its so sad cos when people try to ask me for help i just turn a blind eye and ear.

• Chipii April 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Na wa o! Nicki M, is ur nyash real?

• pam April 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm

LOL. is that why we’re here?

• Simangi April 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm

The days are evil . And the heart of man…?

Thanks for the reminder Glory – that’s how I choose to see it.

• nony April 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Praise God the boy is ok. May God have mercy.

• tbn April 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

This happened to me a few years ago shortly after I had my baby, my natural hair was long and glistening then. I went a short distance from my house in VI to run some errand (I’ve forgotten what). while waiting for a taxi to take me home, a young man approached me and told me that he’s a scout for a modelling agency and that because of my hair and looks I could model for the company he represented. I dont know why i fell for this, maybe because I had been couped up at home for so long before and during the pregnancy, I just thought i needed to do something different. So i went from VI to somewhere in Lagos Island with this man. I got to the so called office and was surprised to see it was a dingy storey building, that was when warning bells started ringing in my head. For some reason I still entered the “office” and was ushered into the presence of his boss. To cut the long story short, after I had filled a phoney modelling form, two men came in with 2 luggages and when they were opened, they were filled with so much money than I’d ever seen, but all of that cash had huge stains on them which would definitely prevent one from spending the them. Before I knew it, the “boss” brought out a chemical that could clean the money. Then they wanted me to contribute to the money tht would clean the money so that I could share the money with them. By this time I knew I was in the presence of 419 scammers, I had heard so much about and knew I could be in trouble. Then I started praying within me that God should help me out of this situation I’ve found myself in, especially with three or four men and I was the only woman there. But I kept on acting like I was interested in contributing to their scam. Luckily my phone rang while they were still talking, I made an excuse that I needed to take the call outside. That was how I never went back in I just found my way out immediately. Its only God that helped me to get out of that place on that day without being actually duped or worse raped or killed. Its been over 6years ago now but everytime I think about it I shudder at what could have happened if God had not intervened.

• NKASI April 15, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I make it a point to remain mum when strangers walk up to me on the streets and start asking questions. One can never be too careful these days. I believe its the Spirit of God that prevented him from coming to any harm. God is great. People please be careful and advice your family and friends to do likewise.

• brownie April 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm

The days are evil but there is a coverage that keeps us from been consumed on a daily basis thats the blood of the lamb. It redeems,protects and grants us peace in this wicked troubled world of ours.

• faith April 15, 2011 at 4:58 pm

dis present govtment has fail wofly in terms of security…the police dont even help matters atallll…my guys sister was kidnapped last yr dec just 2wks after her wedding.it happened on a sundy wen returning from church.dat same day dey cautght four men with the bus used in kidnapping my frds sister n her handbag, hair tie n shoe was found inside d bus….do u know dat wit all dis dat d police discovered dey were able to do NOTHING!!! MY guy n his family paid 4mollion naira for dem to release her.she said dey culdnt RAPE her cos she was seeing her period..we need a change in govment…i live in ph and i have so many stories abt kidnappings ,robbery and 419 dat happened to pple close to me…cant start tell d stories…pple pls go out tomorrow n VOTE for a change in Government….

• Handsomep April 15, 2011 at 6:49 pm

“My life is hid with Christ in God” Colossians 3:3. Now that’s double protection for me and for all who daily put their trust in JESUS. His blood is a perfect covering in these terrible times. No Country of the world is immune from security issues, its just a matter of degree. I have a testimony to God’s glory and praise that I have never fallen victim to robbers or accident. Its just grace! I travelled to Obollo afor, in Enugu state on Monday from Onitsha, the driver of the Peace Mass Transit informed me that some robbers operated on the Nsukka road earler as there were several road blocks on the road. While I was returning back on Tuesday very early in the morning on a chattered Taxi ( I was rushing to meet up with Court for a client at Issele-uku that morning) the taxi had a flat tyre shortly right in front of a vulcanizer’s shop, and the driver didn’t have a spare. I was worried that I might not meet up with court but didnt know that God was doing his own thing. He had to buy a new tyre, fix it and before we moved a kilometre, we met vehicles parked along the road with gist that a robbery operation was going on in front. shortly after we arrived the spot, oncoming vehicles started passing us telling us that the road has been cleared by the Police. We moved on immediately, crossing the robbery spot. When I got to 9th mile and boarded a bus heading to Onitsha, two victims of the robbery joined the bus and told us their story. It was pathetic, they were attacked and robbed by fulani, whether they were herdsmen i wouldn’t know. GOD SAVE NIGERIA!

• Alagbon April 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm

These are really troubling times in our dear country. Ultimately this story and those of Ify and Mike O’Neri had happy endings, but there have been many who have not been as lucky.
    Ultimately, everyone is responsible for his own personal safety. Here are some tips to remain safe.

1. Beware of ‘one chance bandits’ on public transport buses. Do not embark on any bus if you are the only one at the bus-stop, and all the people in the bus look dodgy.
    2. Teach your kids not to talk to strangers on the road. There are hypnotists who use charms to hypnotize innocent, and lead them to slaughter
    3. Try as much as possible to get a family member or friend to pick you up from the airport, or use a Lagos Red Cab
    4. Do not flash your valuables in public – BB phones, cash, forex, jewelry or talk reckless , putting your personal business out there.
    5. If you are travelling to say, the East or South South or places where kidnapping is rife, try as much as possible to tell few people about your trip. Silence is golden.
    6. When you go out to a party, bar or a function, never leave your opened drink unattended. If you have to step out for a bit, finish up the drink before leaving. There are wicked people about lacing drinks with substances.
    7. Do not be fooled by your surroundings when you are about. It can pop off anytime, so always be alert and keep your guard up. Yes, Ikoyi and say, Ogba are not the same place, but you should always keep an eye out.
    8. Quit flossing or boasting recklessly on facebook, twitter and other social mediums. Posting boastful pictures or telling your business via your facebook status, is like inviting ants to a picnic. EVERYBODY and their dog is now on facebook in Nigeria.
    9. Be prayerful. I dont care if I sound preachy, but only God protects. Your gateman or the professional security guards at your crib do not. Trust me. Give my gate-man Indomie noodles as bribe, and he would tell you my life-story.

God bless you all

• Ayodeji April 15, 2011 at 10:46 pm

All your rules are on point! I do NOT talk to strangers except I met you in school or at work. No BRT conversations sef. It has been drummed into my ears since I was a kid. I won’t even answer if you say hello to me. If that makes me paranoid, I will take paranoia and safety over kidnap! Thank GOD the boy is safe.

• Miss Face April 15, 2011 at 11:15 pm

#9. I am with u on that one! All other points spot-on. God bless u

• Theresa April 16, 2011 at 2:17 am

Thanks for those practical tips Alagbon..even the Bible admonishes that we WATCH and PRAY!

• say it as it is April 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Alagbon, permission to copy your points please?

• Alagbon April 18, 2011 at 12:02 am

Granted bro. In fact I hope everyone finds it useful.

• rosebud April 15, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Wow thank God for the boy’s life. i’ve heard of quite a number of similar cases but never leading to killing or the intent to do so. i guess the election is taking its toll on power and money hungry people.
    In all cases ive heard outside of this, giving audience to the perpetrators is the first mistake any victim can make. the best thing to do is to ignore them cos some of them actually use diabolical means to retain the attention of the victim once they have their attention.and they usually always have accomplices who tell you to help. Come to think of it, those asking you to help what stops them from helping too? Or why would someone walking by just suddenly get interested in a conversation a stranger is ‘trying’ to have with you?
    First things first, we all need to be prayerful as we leave the house each morning cos the truth is times are evil. Its well, God will help us

• niyoo April 15, 2011 at 10:43 pm

a friend and I were robbed. We were ambushed by armed men on the highway, and taken deep into the bush. we were there with them for about 2 hours while they negotiated and spoke in scary code words. Thank God we weren’t harmed, because there were about 5 of them, and they could of done anything with us, and noone would have been any wiser. we were dropped by the roadside around sagamu with just 1 of us ATM card. very traumatic incident. :(

• RedHot~ April 16, 2011 at 5:30 am

Something similar happened to my Aunt in 2009, on New Year’s eve. My father had just dropped her off in front of Lagos country club and she was waiting to get a bike to catch an appointment because of traffic. Some random guy came up to her saying he needed her help. Having heard numerous horror stories about talking to strangers, she kept mum and ignored him. He went on telling her that he is a pastor that was just transfered to Nigeria and that he received information that his wife and daughter were involved in an accident. He begged her in the name of God to follow him to the police station as he did not know how to navigate the ‘nigerian system’. On hearing ‘pastor’ and ‘God’ my aunt decided to speak and that’s when kata kata burst. By replying the man, some sort of charm was activated where she had to obey the man and do whatever he wanted. He took her into a car and told her to take them to my house and get all the jewelry and valuables in sight. The funny thing was that my dad was still stuck in traffic so he saw her getting into this strange car. He wanted to call her and ask who she was with but he didn’t think he should be keeping tabs on a 26 year-old woman. She got home, told my sisters not to tell my mum she was around and she packed all the things she could lay her hands on and left without my mother realizing she even came home. She was also compelled to withdraw all the money she had in her bank account and hand it over to them. You’d think this horror story stopped there right? No. The bundled her back into the car and headed out of Lagos. On Lagos-Ibadan express way, the ‘pastor’ inserted some charms, a padlock and some cowries, into mu Aunt’s private part. While all these was going on, my mum was calling her phone frantically because it was about 10.30pm and my aunt wasn’t home yet. Tears streaming down my aunt’s face, she could see her phone ring but she couldn’t answer because she was a force paralyzing her. Sensing in her spirit that something was wrong, my mum started praying and kept calling my aunt’s phone. By God’s grace, the spell they cast over her broke and when the kidnappers realized this, they dropped her by the express way, in the middle of nowhere and sped off into the night. God continued to protect her as she was somehow able to flag down a car that took her to town where she was able to find her way back home.
    People, it’s God’s unmerited grace that keeps us oh! If not, for God ehen…

• Miss Face April 16, 2011 at 11:47 am

If not for God………………………………. so sorry about your aunt but i believe it is well with her.didnt know these hypnotism stuff is so common, this is truly a wake-up call for me.I could be so trusting and naive at times.

• didi April 16, 2011 at 11:40 am

A cousin of mine 2 years ago got missing for 3months. We all thought he was dead until my mum got a call on a sunday evening by a woman asking her to come to badagry to pick up a stranded little boy who turned out to be my cousin. According to him, he was sent home from his boarding school in oweeri to go call his parents because some students accused him of stealing their stuffs. my parents were his sponsors in school but he was so scared to come to the house plus lagos was too far from owerri so he decided to go to his parents in onitsha. He got into a bus with 4 men in it. As they drove, they picked more pple making him not suspect what was going on. After a while, he fell asleep and woke up in a very dark room. He said he didnt know how long he was in that room for but he was wit 8 other kids, some men will come in, give them food once a day and give them an injection that kept them really weak. Occasionally, they will be transferred to other places via ”cargo truck” used for goods transportation. On one of such transfers, the driver left the boot of the truck open and was negotiating with another man in the compound not bothered about the kids because the injection makes the drowsy. By the special grace of God my cousin stood up, tried to make the other kids move with him but they were so tied and were just staring at him like zombies. Noticing that he could get caught if he keeps trying to make the other kids come with him, he left them, jumped out of the truck and ran into the bush nearby. He said he didnt stop or look back, he just kept running until he got to a place in badagry where he saw the woman that gave my mum a call after he narrated his ordeal to her. My family had a massive thanksgiving service and the school authorities were sued for letting a boy under their care leave the school premises without supervision. I pray for those kids in that truck, let God in His infinite mercy protect them. But most of all i pray for our country Nigeria. Na for God hand we dey!

• someone April 16, 2011 at 1:20 pm

BELLA BELLA BELLA you’ve really scary stories around here o! You go fear fear.

Padlock and cowries inside private part ke????? Oga o.

Anyway the root cause of all these things na poor man’s stigma. Nobody wants to be poor in N|igeria and nobody wants to work. All these rituals, rapes+robberies, accidents, kidnappings and assassinations, I paryu they won’t lead to war o! AMEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• someone April 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm

*pray*
    all this showing off of oyinbo toys must and all this social class thingy must stop. another cause is lack of electricity and the resulting poverty. if only we have light , business and knowledge will boom and spread, people will come in droves from abroad to establish industries, everybody will have their own specialism not just buying and selling.

mechanics, vulanisers, barbers, will be able to afford basic necessities of life and tere wil be satisfaction in society from grassroots up to elite level.everybody dey important and we are all precious and of equal value and potential b4 God.

but thanks to alaye lugard who amalgamted us in 1914 and turned us to british creation, we have chaff and wheat together. IT IS WELL.

• Miss T April 16, 2011 at 2:26 pm

It’s happened to me and it’s happened to my friend. May God continually be merciful to us.

• pam April 16, 2011 at 2:43 pm

the reason why my dad feels particular about us travelling to Lagos alone is that. during his time, he was one of the first jamb writers so he had to travel to Lagos to write it. on getting there by bus, he couldnt find the jamb center. a young man came to him and called him by his name. told him that shebi hes going to write jamb ,that hed drop him off. being a 19 year old village boy with litle experience with the “big city” he entered. my dad said he woke up into chaos. he was suddenly in this car in the middle of the market at OGUN!! with market people throwing stones at the car. screaming that the man should release who ever he has trapped in the car. when my dad finally got out of the car, he watched the market people open the guys trunk to find HUMAN HEADS . Dad was shocked. he was later briefed by market people on how they have head stories about this particular man before and they knew they should stop him. the market people burnt the guy alive . my dad says it was terrible and horifying.

• toyin April 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm

The same thing happened to me about 3 yrs ago,on my way to work,some guy said he was going to ojota and dat he was a taxi man,although the taxi was not painted i jst thought i was already late to work so it wont hurt to take d so called cab, that is how the story began, on our way we met some guy that was speaking french too! and was grumbling that he doesnt trust nigerians and needed a ride to get his goods at customs,he begged me dat he only trusts females so i shld please help him, i jst dont knw how i took pity on him but i did and folllowed them to some house somewhre in agege, we got dere(just like this boy’s story)they brought out pure water for us all to drink and make an oath( there were 2 men and just me a girl),i drank the water, and then they brought out money and needed some chemical to chnge the papers into money and i was asked to donate my own quota, i told them i had to get to the atm cos i didnt have money,thats how they dropped me off and said i shld call them when i get the money. i just know that my story was a miraculous one cos thats how i just escaped! i realised i was in d hands of the 419 and ritualists just when they dropped me off! i cried and didnt leave my house for a week after the incident! we should all please be careful how we enter transportation in lagos.

• molarah April 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm

God is indeed merciful. I had such an experience, around Yaba bus park, but the two fellows were putting up a show I only see in really bad Nollywood movies, so I just walked away. I just realized what I got saved from. We need to be really prayerful, we can’t afford to ignore everyone we see in need, we just need God’s help for discretion.

• Gennyz # 1 Fan!!! April 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Something similar happened to my cousin that lives in Asaba about three years ago, she stepped out of the house to go somewhere that was no more than 15 minutes away. She stopped one of these cabs that carry more than one passenger at a time, a few minutes into the ride, the cab stopped to take another lady who was a banker, and that was it! According to my cousin the next thing she remembers is opening her eyes and finding herself in what seemed like a meat market, with flies everywhere and a horrible stench of rotten meat.But it wasn’t an animal meat market, it was meat of actual human beings!!!She could see diferent body parts hung up, and they were several other women there as well who had their hands and feet tied with ropes. All of a sudden, she saw six very huge and muscular men come and take the lady that had been in the cab with her, then one of the men suggested they take her(my cousin) first, but the rest said “no we go kill am last” .So they took the young lady away and my cousin said she could hear her screaming, apparently, raping the victims was the first step, before killing them. Long story short sha, after some 12 hours,the men seemed to be no where in sight, and some other lady managed to untie herself and out of all the people there it was my cousin she decided to help (Thank God!), she untied my cousin and they ran as fast as they could. It was when they got to a busy junction that people told them that they were in Benin city! A young lady was nice enough to give her a wrapper and take her back home. Its been 3 years, and till this day my cousin who is 26 btw cannot go out alone without being accompanied by someone….God Help Us!!!

• mariam April 16, 2011 at 10:30 pm

God help us ,something similar happened to my friend in ajah yst,she entered a cab the men in tha car started talking abt 1.6m dollar in the trunk of d car bla bla bla,she was told they were going somewhere to sort the money out but she insisted she does not want to be a part of it,she asked the cab guy to drop her off,it was then she realised God had saved her frm kidnappers/419nerrs.it is well o

• NNENNE April 17, 2011 at 4:22 am

In these days of cell phone and improved technology, be vigillant. If you see or suspect something, U must say something.It’s only sad that there is no law enforcement and security in Naija.Any how, beautuful days lie ahead, I hope. With the new national consciousness that seems to rear its head in Nigeria now, there is hope that things will improve. There is hope that our leaders will do more to address unemployment, poor or lack of security…

• benny April 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm

This is no new as far as Nigeria is still Nigeria..cus it happens very often that almost everyody knows about them …..I’ve been caught up with this guys twice …WELL GOD IS GREAT…This people are big time scammers not retualist,,,they are everywhere ..the main tribe in this deal are the Igbos…I’m an Igbo too but sorry to say that.,,,If anybodys walks up to u and speak another language or claim to be a foreigner just forget him or her and walk to the next shop or house…Until the ay is cleared for u to go… …BELLA IT WOULD BE GOOD IF WE HAVE A SECTION IN THIS SITE WHERE WE CAN SHARE SOME TIPS FOR PEOPLE VISITING HOME FROM OVERSEAS WHAT TO AVOID AND WHERE TO AVOID WHEN VISITIN HOME….THX

• Bukola April 19, 2011 at 2:43 pm

It is really great of u to share this. My story is similar to that of tbn. I was staying with a friend in Fadeyi area of Lagos on my holidays, i then took a walk, A lady came to me to say they were lookimg for beautiful ladies for adverts. Since i was so bored and she was a lady(in her late forties), i believed r, tho i was weary. She asked me to come with her to their office around, until we got to a close which was isolated, we met a man there who appeared to be repairing his car(the car bonet was up) she asked him for the “forms”, he asked if i had passports etc. They then asked where i live, i gave very vague answers and told them my dad is a cop. Anyway they say the forms were elsewhere so we should get into the car. I became terribly scared when the man entered the car without testing it or closing the bonnet( a coverage), but i didnt panic. I sat behind while he and the woman sat in front, they were speakin ibo. Within seconds, another man who was so huge came from no where and tried to enter into the car from the other door, and i told myself” girlfriend if u dont drag your behind out of this car now, you are a gonna” hence as soon as he opened the door and tried to get in, i acted like i got a call and scrammed, they didnt ask me questions and they looked at me as i left. I immediately wished i could report to the police and then i remembered that we dont have those! I was so scared that i cried. Only god knows what they would have brought out once the man entered with me and with the bonnet up, no one would have seen what was up. My stupidity was also appalling to me, since i had even graduated from the university at the time. I thank God! We must be careful and pray hard cos we got only God for Naija. Thanks Bella.

• Doris Maya April 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm

In Abuja, babes have to be very careful, actually every part of Naija, recently, two of of friends took a taxi at about 9pm. They were so engrossed in their conversation, all of a sudden there was a push from the back and my friends head hit the sit in front of her. They then realised someone was hiding in the booth. The man was tryin to get out and he was pushin the seat, . One of them reached for the dooor handle, and the driver pushed her hands off and gave r a slap,thats when they realised they were in for the fight of their lives. The man in the booth kept pushing and was almost out and he was dealing them huge slaps. one of the girls gave them her purse and phones but they hit it away showing that that is not what they were interested in. My friends kept calling JESUS and tried to get out. They tried to drag then back in to the car. They had body aches for days and to this day my friend will always check the car back seat to see if it has been cut and connected to the booth and someone hiding in there. People are soooo desperate! Imagine the stress of cutting car seat and hiding in the boothe for hours. You go fear rituals. Govt should provide jobs, it will reduce rituals and 419 even if only a bit.

• starry eyed June 8, 2011 at 11:45 am

@ Red Hoti had the same experience too recently but am so scared rite now cos the fake pastor removed cowries, padlock from my body part too. am just want to know if your aunty if fine and it had no effect on her life! am so scared cos i dont know what would happen in the future. is your sister fine??? please reply

• starry eyed June 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm

i need to be re assured…. someone please reply!!!!

• sussy ddiva August 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm

wot happened to tbn also happened to a friend of mine,but they just brought out money and said they would give her a share if she would take an oath,though luckily for her since they were outside the guy went in to get something and one of his neighbors a female quickly warned her and she took to her heels.lets also be ours brothers keeper