BNM Critique: Timi Dakolo’s ‘Beautiful Noise’

Posted on Thursday, August 11th, 2011 at 9:50 AM

By Nono E.

Timi Dakolo is famous for winning the debut edition of Idols West Africa in 2006. He was tipped to be the next big thing for his unique voice and fantastic vocal range. It really has been a long wait for his album from people who first fell in love with him on the show. Was the album worth the 5-year wait?

Hear BNM Contributor, Nono‘s thoughts on the album, Beautiful Noise.

Enjoy.

____________________________________________________________

With the influx of albums that are ridiculously senseless to say the least, Timi Dakolo‘s Beautiful Noise is a deep breath of fresh air. The first thing I noticed from the Intro was the production quality. Can somebody say Genius?

Cobhams Asuquo produced the album. I can’t talk about Beautiful noise without giving this great man his very own paragraph.

Let It Shine is probably one of my best songs on the album because it talks about being able to achieve whatever we set our minds to. Timi shares with us his own life experiences and the challenges he faced while getting to where he is today. This little light of ours, we’re gonna let it shine. Don’t give up no matter what you’re going through.

There’s a Cry brought tears to my eyes. Apt title I must say. Even before Timi started singing I was already dabbing at my eyes. The voices, the sobs of the woman, the gunshots and the sound of feet running at the beginning of the song came together perfectly to create this breathtaking effect. Sorrow. Again, wonderful production. A definite favourite from the album.

“Write me a love song, send me a letter, say that you love me and I’ll be ok.” The first line from the seventh song on the Beautiful Noise album. This song talks about a couple that are no more together but one’s still pining for the other. I’m sure a lot of you can relate. Don’t lie o! It’s nothing to be embarrassed about. Write her a love song, send her a letter, tell her you love her and see what happens. If it err…backfires, call Timi on 080230420Y0

Possibly the most upbeat song on the album comes in at Track Eight. Raise the roof, is your quintessential party anthem on which he features CobhamsSo Beautiful featuring Elvis Larri is the first song on the album that reminds me of the fact I’m listening to a Nigerian album. I loved the play with the trumpets and traditional drums. This is a song that will definitely be a staple at weddings very soon.

The album has a total of seven love songs. For a twelve track album including the intro, that’s a lot of for want of a better word, ”awwwwwwww’ing” for the ladies. Love of My life is as the name implies, one of the album’s love songs. I had one of those cheesy grins on as I listened. I know he wasn’t exactly singing to me but with a little brain fine-tuning, this fact becomes totally forgotten.

In short, I’m unafraid to say that this is a FABULOUS album. I’ll defend it anywhere. I’ve already bought six copies for some of my friends that I know love great music and I’m certain I’ll buy more.

In my opinion, Timi outdid himself with Beautiful Noise. This album is totally worth the wait. Now I look forward to everyone finally receiving the memo. Beautiful Noise is one of the best albums from Nigeria this year. Nice one Timi Dakolo.

Track List
1. Intro
2. Let It Shine (Watch The Video below)
3. The Woman I Love
4. I Love You
5. Heaven Please ft MI
6. Is It Over ft Joan Ekpai
7. Love Song
8. Raise the Roof ft Cobhams
9. Love Of My Life
10. So Beautiful ft Elvis Larri
11. There’s a Cry (Watch The Video below)
12. I Love You (Remix) ft Jesse Jagz

In case you missed them, you can watch his two videos below:

There’s a cry

I Love You

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 23 Comments on “BNM Critique: Timi Dakolo’s ‘Beautiful Noise’”

Comments
    • Mike August 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Good stuff,will surely get the album

• Babs August 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Good review. I’ve been hooled on tyhe Album for a week now. I think its a lot better than the words here potray.

Track 3 is a dark horse track. Track 7? WoW! I had no idea what he was saying in the intro but I had it on repeat for a whole day. Soothing sound. Welcome Timi, the stage is now yours

• connie August 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM

INCREDIBLE is an understatement. The guy can sing and he sound alot like seal. I pray God continues to take your music to great heights. Please where can i get the full album in the u.?

• Pearl August 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM

awwww, “there’s a cry” is so touching! There’s a hope for the future

• fokasibe August 11, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Will mos def grab a copy this weekend…Thanks for the heads up..

• NIGERIANGIRL August 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM

dis guy is sexy oh!!!! saw him perform @ a friends song listening party! up close!! dayum!!! i was dreaming…. :)

• dayo August 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Bo se 1 bo se 2 bose baby baby o, you look so beautiful…..track 10. One word. AWESOME

• love dat ting August 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I just want this guy to do well. I just love him. Just love him.

• pamela August 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM

can our politicians watch the song “there is a cry”. well done timi.

• THE AMAKA August 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM

AMAZING VOICE. I love the second video, its something new, different. im glad its not the same old club video day in and day out. good job.

• Cool August 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM

More power to ur elbow Timi Dakolo….

• Dare August 11, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I have to get this album

• Damsel August 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Beautiful song lovely video.I don’t knw y naija people refuse to recognize talented people like Timi,Djine,Etcetera and Gtman.

• Olivia August 11, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I’ve been a huge fan like foreverrrr!!! ‘There’s a cry’ is just one of those songs that pierces your soul and spirit. I love another song of his that he sang in homage to his now deceased granny who raised him. I think its titled ‘Heaven Please’…..Naija has talent in loads sha!!

• kizito August 11, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Timi has alwayz been fabulous abeg where I go c d album buy for abj?

• connie August 11, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I wonder why all those award they give all the time in Nigeria have not recognized this Guy. He is over ripe deserve. He even deserves a Grammy.

• eloho August 11, 2011 at 8:47 PM

There’s a Cry should really win Most Conscious song and give him Best Male Vocalist at Hip Hop World Awards! Fantastic song! The album is awesome!

• na me August 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM

TIMI ROX BIG TIME…..Delay really is not denial….Wonderful and Unique Album……KIP ROCKING ,

• U-min August 13, 2011 at 11:19 AM

wait…is it just me or does the i love you song not sound alot like ego’s fall in love :s

• ibe August 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Beautiful Noise…No doubt Great piece!
      However, I’m just worried there was no hype and it makes me wonder what the plans are for the promotion else this great work is prone to go unnoticed.
      This album is way beyond what we hear some of these ‘prolific’ guys churn out.

God bless ur hussle, TIMI!

• kate September 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Where can I buy a copy of this album in South Africa.

• monalisa October 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM

@Eloho, i was heart broken There’s a Cry didnt win Most Socially Conscious :( I cant understand it. Timi’s stuff is sooo good for the SOUL!!!

• eloho November 2, 2011 at 11:45 PM

You got that right. I was in the hall and more than 50% of the people there thought he should have won. Na wa! Well, one day, one day! There’s a Cry from me sha! lol!