Catching Up With Stylist Extraordinaire- Dimeji Alara

Posted on Saturday, August 13th, 2011 at 11:33 AM

By Zainab Imichi Alhassan

He is one of Nigeria’s top celebrity stylists and the Editor in Chief of Mania Magazine. Dimeji Alara gives Bellanaija.com an insight on what it means to be a stylist and his opinion on Nigeria’s fashion industry.

***

Zainab Alhassan: So how does one become a stylist?

Dimeji Alara: There is more than one way to become a stylist. Whatever you decide to do in life is always a matter of choice and passion. You should also be ready to sacrifice a lot.

ZA: What did you study in university?

DA: I studied fashion, The Business of Fashion.

ZA: How was it like growing up and being a guy interested in fashion?

DA: I grew up in the city of fashion, Paris. My mum studied fashion, my dad loved fashion too, so I guess I was not in a strange environment to grow up loving fashion. I would have looked strange to others if I did not like fashion, it is the other way round here.

ZA: Have you ever been stereotyped for being in the fashion industry?

DA: I get stereotyped everyday by people I do not even know. People judge you without even meeting you, but it is ok, it is just the way the world works, and I am not complaining. People have the right to have opinions on you.  The public has a right to dissect you once you give yourself to them and when you are a  public figure, you have given them the right to do whatever they want with you…they own you, or so they think.

ZA: How would you describe your style?

DA: I dress for comfort, and my style is very simple, though I try to go over the edge when I feel like, and I also get knocked down for that a lot but that is also ok.

ZA: What inspires your style?

DA: A lot of things determine what I wear, like the environment, the weather or how I feel.

ZA: What are the wardrobe must haves for this season?

DA: White shirts, white pants, comfy slippers and leather belts.

ZA: Is there something in your wardrobe that has passed through the test of time?

DA: A belt I have owned for over ten years, I still wear it.

ZA: What is your favorite stylish TV show?

DA: I love Absolutely Fabulous

ZA: What is your take on non-conformist style expression?

DA: I do not believe in conforming, whatever it is you do in life, being yourself will always work for you whether people like you or not.

ZA: What is the name of your styling company?

DA: It is called Styling Concept.

ZA: What sets you apart from other stylists? When I see one of your clients, how do I know that he/she has been styled by Dimeji Alara?

DA: Everyone is unique, and I think we are all different in terms of the way we style. My style is different and so is theirs.

ZA: Is there a profitable market for Stylists in Nigeria?

DA: I do not know about other stylists but for me, yes, there is a profitable market.

ZA: What is your take on Nigerian designers and their position in the global fashion industry?

DA: I think we are still yet to get to the core of what the industry is all about. I am waiting for the time when designers will get the business side of this industry. Fashion is serious business, not some form of entertainment. The global position of things determines what we wear and buy, so it is all connected.

ZA: How do you think the media; especially social networks have revolutionized Africa’s fashion industry?

DA: I think it has put us out there to the world, and now it is time for us to take full advantage that.

ZA: You are the Editor in Chief of Mania Magazine, what do you hope to achieve through this magazine?

DA: There are a lot of things I hope to achieve with Mania Magazine, one of which is to make people see fashion in a totally different way and make it a commercial avenue for designers and everyone involved in fashion. Everything has its challenges and of course there are people waiting for me to fail, but it is totally normal. Too bad, they will be disappointed.

ZA: Is it strictly a fashion magazine or a life style magazine?

DA: It has everything a woman needs; a woman’s life is beyond fashion.

ZA: You have worked at GQ, Elle and Glamour, are there any Nigerian fashion magazines that have the potential to be on the same level with these magazines, in the next 2 years?

DA: I think yes. Magazines are improving and the industry is changing.

ZA: What is your mantra?

DA: Nothing is impossible!

***

Contact Dimeji Alara: dimprince2000@yahoo.com
Twitter: @ReineMichi
Blog: http://uberchicmichi.blogspot.com/

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 26 Comments on “Catching Up With Stylist Extraordinaire- Dimeji Alara”

Comments
    • Yeoal August 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM

He is one of the people who have given stylists in nigeria d much needed respect. Bcos of him, they r being looked @ seriously.

• istidele August 13, 2011 at 12:37 PM

eye candy

• El Bee August 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM

He is a cutie ;)

• Berry lewis August 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM

He is handsome.its gud sum1 v a unique perception n passion about fashion.o n i luv paris

• steezz.com August 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM

“Fashion is serious business, not some form of entertainment”. Well said cos i see all these fashion shows and i wonder if they’er just trying to entertain us. 9ice interview. I love FAB mag and i like Arise Mag but i’ll definitly pick up a copy of Mania next week to see what they’er all about.

• Homely August 13, 2011 at 5:04 PM

All the best Dimeji Alara.

• mary007 August 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I like the bit when he talks about the public perception of him. Yes Dimeji I dont have to know you one on one to judge you cos you are in the public eye, Like you for accepting the fact

• sweetie August 13, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Tres HOT!!!! meowww

• buchibazuka August 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Good Job Dimeji…kudos to what u’ve achieved so far!!!…plus u’re so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Naomi August 13, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I’m not really impressed with this interview; there’s really nothing very attention-grabbing about what he said and the matter-of-fact answers make him seem rather shallow. I hope he knows his onions though and is worth his mettle.

• reeha@cheap desinger handbags August 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Agree with you that Mania Magazine is finest and biggest magazine of Nigeria. nice style post.

• missy~spectacular August 14, 2011 at 1:43 PM

he’s so hot! he can style me anyday!

• aisha August 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I love the fact that he said “A woman’s life is beyond fashion”.
      Well said, and your momma taught you right!.

• Kemi Adetiba August 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Sweetest man I know!! GO DIMEJI. . . You ROCK!!

• Ty August 14, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Seriously bella naija u r losing ur touch no gist ur site is so annoying this days maybe u should change ur staffs every its alwz same news or something stupily boring. Grab some cos u r losing out fast

• spikinmamind August 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Supported. Or does it mean people are no longer getting married or is it that bella does not know where the show is these days. Please bella keep up the good work dont let it drop pleaseeee.

• Hot-Angel (Hottu Babe) August 15, 2011 at 5:51 AM

He’s Cute. Looking a little bit short behind that model though. I love his words. Dude makes sense. More grease to your elbows.

• Eerinmide August 15, 2011 at 6:08 AM

He is soooooooo cute!!!! a lil short dough…bt kute!!!

• Tosin August 15, 2011 at 8:13 AM

I like him too, and we’ve never officially met.

• Ifeoma-adiagwuagwu August 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Congrats. Is he still a blogger? Or he has left blogging for now? I’mjust asking :)

• Aibee August 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Is it just me or did this interview come across as condescending? I like Dimeji’s redcarpet style sometimes and think he’d go places.

• Bex August 16, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Dry interview. He seemed tired.

• LEONA August 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM

… OR bored… tres uninteresting!

• JC son August 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Sound man of very few words

• Ready August 16, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I concur with those who thought he sounded tired/condescending.
      Is he talented? Yes. Is he hot? Hell yes. But this interview was just…yawn.
      Sounded like he grudgingly permitted the interviewer to ask questions at the end of a long day. Nothing new or exciting.
      But again, I don’t want to judge him since I don’t own him. :-)

• nwosu christiana August 23, 2011 at 10:49 AM

it is fab having clothes like dis