Abuse of Power in Nigeria: A Personal Account of Assault by Lagos CBD Agents

Posted on Monday, August 22nd, 2011 at 2:44 PM

By Lola Talabi-Oni

Almost every Nigerian has a story to tell about government officials abusing their power. Perhaps the policeman who demanded for money to do his job or the NYSC platoon leader who abused his/her position. Even Nigerians in diapsora have their fair share of tales from various Nigerian High Commission offices.
Not all government officials are “bad” or corrupt. Some of our parents have dedicated years of service within these systems and we are definitely not labelling everyone with the same negative tag.
However, the actions of a few within this system is causing major damage.
BN reader, Lola Talabi-Oni shares a personal account of the distressing experience she went through in Lagos just last week.
***

I’m sharing this hellish story for two major reasons – (1) to add my shout to stories of injustice and wanton immoral behavior of Lagos State Agents on our roads, and (2) to ensure that all Lagos residents are treated with dignity and respect by officials who are paid with the enormous taxes that we as residents pay to the Lagos State Government.

On Thursday morning (18th August 2011), around 11am, I stopped at a shop by the foot of the Apongbon bridge going into Marina to make a purchase. As I was placing my bags into my car, I saw several Central Business District “agents/officials” clamor around my car with their tow truck angling to clamp my car. While still asking what was going on, one of the CBD men, jumped into my car and told me to drive quickly if I “didn’t want them to clamp my car”. His name was Mutiu Balogun as I would later read on the tag of his shirt.

In the midst of the confusion, I get in the car and just start driving. I asked him where exactly we were going and he responded, “Onikan Swimming Pool.” Still confused and shocked by what was happening, I asked Mutiu exactly what I had done wrong and what the fees were. Mutiu said he could not tell me my offence and cannot tell me what the fines were. At this point, quite frankly, I started to get really fearful and asked Mutiu if I could veer to the right and call my husband to come and meet me at the CBD “office” at Onikan Swimming Pool. Mutiu barked and said that I could not call my husband.

I had no choice, and I had been told not to call anyone. So I continued driving.

Since I live right by Onikan Swimming Pool, I proceeded to drive there using the route that I normally use and I have used for 3 years since living in Lagos Island – Marina, turning into Joseph Street, turning into Catholic Mission Street, turning into Military Road, then onto King George. I have taken this route many times. As I turned into Joseph Street, this Mutiu Balogun immediately starts agitating and asking why I had turned, saying “that is not the way to swimming pool”. I started to explain to him that this is the way I know and since he didn’t give me any directions, I was just taking the way I knew.

Before I knew what was happening, this man who is taller and obviously stronger than I am, raised his hands and strongly smacked me across my chest as he attempted to shove my hands from the steering wheel.

How can a public officer put his hands on me for any reason?

The car was swerving at this point and of course a crowd had started to gather in front of Mr. Biggs on Joseph Street. Mutiu then proceeded to use both of his hands to pull the hand breaks while the key was still in the ignition, and I was still driving. He then started yelling about how he was going to teach me a lesson and that by the time he is done with me, I would “pay more money than I’ve ever paid in my life”. Through all this I was still traumatized, and a sizeable crowd had started to beg said officer Balogun. He stood by the driver’s door of my car, refusing me entry into my car and called his colleagues on the phone saying “the madam is proving difficult now, bring the towing truck.”

I am not sure how many minutes passed here, finally, the towing truck arrived, clamped my car on Joseph Street, no word was said to me and they drove off. I quickly flagged down a taxi, the taxi driver told me that it was likely that they are towing my car to their makeshift “office” at Onikan Swimming Pool. I called my husband at this point and he met me at their “office.”

This is where the true nightmare starts. A man by the name of Abayomi Adetoro, hands me a Notification of Offence for N20,000 to be paid to “The Office of the Special Adviser on Central Business District” with a handwritten account #003503010000259, and a teller for N10,000 to be paid to City-Wide Eko Enterprises. The Notification of Offence had no offence written on it, just the amount. I asked Abayomi Adetoro what the offence was and he said he couldn’t tell me, “I should just go and pay”. The back of the notification showed that the highest fee was for “Towing of a Trailer or tanker” and/or “Driving in a direction prohibited by Road Traffic Law”.

I was neither driving a tanker, nor driving in a direction prohibited by law so I have no idea where the fee came from and no official wanted to tell me even though I asked severally for what offence it was I committed. Furthermore, who is City-Wide Eko Enterprises? No one at the makeshift Onikan Swimming Pool office was inclined to answer any of my questions. Abayomi Adetoro even said “Mutiu just pushed me a little bit and so that was of no concern to them.” How can a state official assault a woman in her car and his superiors respond to me that “it was just a small push”. The man was already in my car and we were already driving to his office – Why had this man assaulted me?

I asked to speak to the manager at the makeshift office and I kept being passed back and forth to several men who upon speaking to them would tell me “Sorry I work with the fire service” or “Sorry I don’t work for CBD”. There was no derogatory word or insult that was not thrown at me in the process. I was yelled at, ignored, shoved aside, laughed at. After finally reaching who was supposed to be the H.O.D, my lawyer being present at this time asked for his name, he refused to give it. He reiterated that his “boy” was doing his job and that this is Lagos not London, and he was going to teach me a lesson.

Is this the mandate of CBD agents?

Am I to be assaulted and harassed for refusing to bribe agents and to follow the law and procedure? Is there no recourse to appeal fines and levies? That being that, I asked if Mutiu Balogun was doing his job as he assaulted me and this man said again, “he just pushed me”. Are CBD Agents mandated to assault drivers in the course of fining for an infraction?

While this was going on, my husband had gone on to in fact pay the N30,000 naira total, complete with a Lagos State Government receipt. The said H.O.D who we later found out was called a Mr. Masorun, refused to order the release of my vehicle. The minute I mentioned that I was heading to Area A police station to report the assault of his officer, he ran, jumped into his van and drove off. My car spent all of Thursday, all of Friday at CBD Swimming Pool. I paid the fine on Thursday at 2pm – Why did my car spend two days at CBD? On Friday, they refused to release my car still and said that myself and my lawyer have to come and apologize to them and that I have to hand over all the notes I was taking during the whole incident so they can use it – direct quote – “to wipe their a***s”.

Is this how Lagos works? Are Lagos State agents above the law? Above procedures? More importantly, are tax-paying Lagosians not deserving of being treated with dignity and without physical assault?

Update – 24th August 2011
Thanks to everyone who’s called, emailed, or otherwise commented and shown their concern and outrage at my ordeal in the hands of CBD agents.

I spent the better part of yesterday Tuesday, August 23, at the office of Ms. Derin Disu, the Special Adviser, Central Business District. I appreciate that she did meet with me, last minute and without an appointment. I did iterate my ordeal in the hands of CBD agents last week, submitted an official complaints letter, and photocopies of both the complaints letter and all receipts involved were promptly taken by Ms. Disu’s office and signed by her in my presence. She called in a man referred to as DFA. I don’t know what DFA stands for but I assume he is an assistant to her in these matters.

After listening to my story, the DFA spoke up to say that the fee tendered to me (N20,000) plus N10,000 for towing was in order, and that in fact it is to the discretion of the CBD agents to charge anywhere between N5,000 and N50,000 for what I presume is any infraction. This in of itself is an issue. Essentially any CBD agent can charge you with an unpublished offence and based entirely on his judgment on any given day, decide to give you a fine of anything between N5,000 and N50,000. This obviously does not promote transparency or accountability. Lagos citizens should know exactly what constitutes an offence and how much exactly they can expect to pay if they commit a traffic offence.

Be that as it may, Ms. Disu did seem genuinely outraged by the behavior of the CBD agents, called the H.O.D to her office right in my presence, apologize for any and all harassment and embarrassment they might have caused, and promised to thoroughly investigate the matter. She and the “DFA” took my phone number and promised to update me on matters. At this point I’m waiting until Friday to hear from either party. I’m still wondering though, should an issue of assault be treated through this process?

Until then I’m open to any suggestions on how to use this horrible incident to ensure that these public traffic officials are brought to book and made to understand that Lagos residents have a reasonable expectation to be treated with dignity and respect.

Photo Credit: Africa Business
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is a personal account from Lola Talabi-Oni’s perspective, BellaNaija.com welcomes a response from the CBD

Be Sociable, Share!
  • Custom Search
  • 116 Comments on “Abuse of Power in Nigeria: A Personal Account of Assault by Lagos CBD Agents”

Comments
    • aosgrl August 22, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I hope someone forwards this to Gov Fashola. I truly hope this article drives some action. The assault against women in Nigeria by men in “positions of Authority” is unbelievable.

• http://mynaijalifestyle.blogspot.com August 23, 2011 at 8:01 PM

i really hope so o, cos dis really sad :(

• Temi August 24, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I hope so too mehn. I remember something similar happening to Ufuoma. I hope justice was served then and will be served now too…

• BN Contributor on all things Fashion August 22, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Hey hon. So sorry about your ordeal. Please take a moment to breathe. We live in a lawless society. The key is to accept this fact and move on with your life. This is what the do. This is what they have always done. Big hug hon and ask God to help you to forgive them.

• Truth be told August 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM

i’m sorry but why should she ‘accept’ it and move on? It’s a good thing she wrote this article. I really hope Fashola gets to read this. It’s so annoying in that officials can do this and get away with it and it’s because of comments like accept it as a fact and move on that makes them actually get away with it

• Kunbs August 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Are you an imbecile or just simple? how can you say this is ok and she should more or less ‘take heart’ – People like you rage my nerves, and I bet your a woman. If we all accept this then your child and daughter will be harrassed and embarrased in public for no just cause or through means tha

Sometimes I think Nigerians enjoy the wana wana they go through because of their bloody attitudem, your mates in north africa are driving change, you are theere stagnant. This is why So help me God my children will not be cursed with overburden of sole nigerian nationality – where they will undervalued, treaded upon and cannot even ask for basics.

• Girly August 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM

I salute you for ur statements, u just said my mind!Kia! Nigerians and there lackadiasical attitude…..we never learn. Change will never come if we keep behaving like this!

• Gorgeous August 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Hiya, I dont think we should accept lawlessness, its just not right!!!

• Nollywood Forever August 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM

this is the problem with Nigerians always waiting for God to do something. Let me tell you now. you will be waiting forever.

• Oby August 22, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Pls @ Nollywood Forever, I hope you are not taking a shot at God? if you are, just take it easy, there is no need to be bashing him, its clear you have no fear. Lets just focus on what the issue is about. If you are not insulting him, then I’m sorry for posting this comment.

• ojaybaby August 22, 2011 at 5:42 PM

my dear u don talk am,God gave us mouth and ability to do things and make change,instead of us to do it ppl will sit down and do nothing mchew

• UPNEPA August 22, 2011 at 11:46 PM

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? Accept what? Accepting it is why they continue to do this to us. She needs to lawyer up and sue the Lagos State Government, the CBD and all the officials involved jointly. I remember when Attaches to the Speaker of the House beat up that Actress last year. This is f_kery!!!

• tbn August 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Its so annoying when Nigerians like you accept indiscipline, assault and abuse meted to innocent people including yourself everyday. Why must you be complacent in the face of injustice. I have met a lot of people like you who always say “accept it”, “this is Nigeria” . This is the reason why we’re where we are today, not moving forward. Our leaders are looting us blind, corruption is rife, the poor are getting poorer and the looters are getting richer in the country. When people keep saying accept your fate and move on, how do we change our country? Developed countries that we admire and love to live in did not get to where they are today, by accepting mediocrity and injustice, they fought to be where they are and fought to eliminate the bad eggs in their society, rather than accept and celebrate them like we do in this country. this is a food for thought. I really hope that something would be done about what that woman went through in the hands of those wicked and heartless Lagos state officials.

• myopinion August 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Nigeria is the lawless society it is because of this “accept and move on mentality”

• ceo August 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Hmmm!!!!! thank God for christianity(i keep telling myself this). else, its an eye for an eye oh. i will shoot all of them on the knees! one by one! these same people in top seats hire a bunch of hooligans and lliterates as lawmakers to misbehave on the streets. i really do hope fashola or even GEJ sef gets to read this cos its a nationwide disease.there should be some sort of help line(only if nitel, mtn and dem lot can fix themselves) or a website one can complain to.

• Kayzone August 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I disagree with you. Do we rather be apathetic and hopelessly hope for things to change for the better? I don’t think so…

• ade August 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Dear Lola that sounds horrific! Just for info there is no law that allows anyone to enter your car and ask you to drive anywhere. Police officers can seize your car but LASTMA and all the other Lagos ‘officials’ have no enabling power in the legislation that set them up. I have passed your story on to Governor Fashola’s office – I hope they will respond. @BN Contributor on all things Fashion – I disagree that we should accept that this is how life should be – Lagos continues to be run by lawless idiots because we don’t speak up. My cousin was killed by one of those lawless idiots before I realised that if I don’t speak up, they will kill so many more people – not because they are killers but because they have no idea about how dangerous their behaviour is. That Mutiu guy could have killed people as he wrestled for control of a moving car – total insane behaviour!

• Lamide August 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

THANK YOU!!
        I think it is the most ridiculous thing to say we should just “move on”. That’s why young ladies are being picked up on the streets for “loitering” in Abuja and being accused of prostitution, or why Senators would rather pass bills on “indecent dressing” than address the fact that the people supposed to be enforcing the law are the very ones breaking it willy nilly!! If the young lady who was beaten and stripped on the road for not moving out of the way of the Army convoy had “moved on with her life” and said nothing nko? It is by doing nothing that we allow worse things to happen.

• Truth be told August 22, 2011 at 4:17 PM

thank you Ade jare. this is really what we need. Solutions. Really sorry about your cousins. These government officials should be taught how to respect citizens

• Truth be told August 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM

*cousin

• ade August 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Thank you! @Lola we sued Lagos state government for her death and we won after a long and exhausting battle. I would strongly suggest that if you have the energy, please sue – it is not about the money but it is the principle that servants of the state should ‘serve’ its citizens!!

• Tosin August 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Well done. I went through a traumatic ordeal the night before Nigeria turned 50. Mopol officers, guns and everything, and I was aware the entire time that a youth had been killed in that area (Lekki) in the past, so I was verrrry careful until I saw my opening and drove off (and they came in pursuit too…long story.) Thank God that our generation does not give up. If we have to fight for everything, then we will. We will have a fab country to live in.

• Lola Talabi-Oni August 22, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Thank you for your concern and your help. I really appreciate it. I hope I would hear something (anything) from some who could help further the complaint as well. Thank you.

• Woah!nigeria August 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM

This story has made very upset. What especially gets my goat, are officers who can’t speak proper English are able to quote verbatim, the rules and laws an offender has purportedly broken, and off course the penalties as well.

A chap I know, Femi, once I had told me about something that happened to him. It was just past midnight on New Year’s Day 2000, Femi and his brothers were walking from street to street somewhere in Ikeja, engaging in ‘banger’( knout-outs or firecrackers) wars. Almost every street had youths doing the same thing – they would light up and throw bangers into compounds as they passed, and then the inhabitants would also throw some back at them.

Femi had a stack of bangers with him, you know the types that have a red eraser type nose, and was feeling like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando. He saw a house where some chaps were throwing fire-crackers from, so he lit 4 bangers and threw them. He was rejoicing with himself when he heard a loud thud.

KAAABOOOOM!!!!!

Femi felt dazed! When he came to, he found himself on the floor, with his eyes hurting from sparks of light around his face. This is it, I am screwed, he thought to himself, thinking that maybe he must have thrown the bangers near a gas pot or cylinder in the house or maybe at a petrol generator or canister of fuel.

Then suddenly he heard some voices shouting directly behind him: “You de craze!! Oya, quick stand up, you de follow me go police station. You go go court for morning. You no know say dem don ban knock-out for Lagos State. You done commit serious crime. Number one, possession and use of dynamites and explosives for armed robbery and public nuisance in Lagos State. Number two, conspiracy to distribute explosives and gun-powder in Lagos State. Penalty na 25 years imprisonment for Kiri-Kiri.”

In his dazed state, Femi looked up and saw two policemen looking down at him, with menace and disgust on their faces, guns drawn and all.

Apparently the “kaboom explosion” hadn’t been the sound of the bangers detonating on any inflammable substance; the sound he had heard was a very, very big slap that one of the policemen had crept up and given him from behind, just after he threw the bangers. The slap was so mighty that the policeman must have jumped just before connecting (think of those punches in the Garth comics from old school Vanguard newspapers.

What is this country turning to? http://woahnigeria.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/mr-officer-mr-officer/

• Lola Talabi-Oni August 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Thank You Ade. I truly appreciate any help you can render in this matter.

• bola August 22, 2011 at 10:07 PM

this is the governor of lagos state’s Facebook page. we should all write on his wall complaining about this issue until he responds. he seems active on that platform so it is worth a go.

• Kemi Adeleke August 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I hope the governor gets to read this. Honestly it is getting too much in this country and unfortunately we are helpless.

• Teegold August 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM

it’s a lawles society, sorry about ur ordeal!!!

• Oma August 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Mouth hanging open. Wow!!! Has it gotten this bad?? Jesus!!!! I dont know if it would help cos i don’ t trust the Police either but you can make a formal report of the assault to the police and forward it to the Office of the Governor. I think you can sue the CBD for Assault.

• Oma August 22, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Let me add that i’m sorry dear. it can be very traumatising

• Effect August 22, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Your experience was horrendous. I am very sure that they are not allowed to do that and my goodness, the guy was absolutely wrong to lay his hands on you in the car. As it is in Nigeria today, you have to be someone or knows someone in higher position. I was in Niegria in end of June for a short holiday. My first day on the road driving was terrible. Traffic was bad and drivers on the road were totally insane. I know I should be used to it by now. However, after complaining to my parents, my dad adviced that one of his men (a soldier) escort me whenever I need to go out. In doing so, though this is part of our problem in Nigeria but I was able to do whatever on the road and no one could do anything about it. Especially after seeing the uniformed guy driving me around. The laws of the country are not adhered to in some matters. I need to point out that my parents are good citizens with a Godly morals and character so they are not part of the problem. Not saying this just because they are my parents but because I know who they are. Nigeria needs a revolution. A dedicated and radical few who are ready to stand against these injustice and perverse rulers. Obviously, with the help of God. I’m sorry for your bad experience. You could take it to court if you are determined but it will be long and whinding process.

• Jan August 22, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Actually no offence, but people like you are part of the problem. I’m a woman, and have been driving in Lagos DAILY for five years. I have never needed a police escort. I sit in the traffic like any other person. Or I leave my house early and get to where I’m going ontime. Why would you want to do whatever you want on the road? Don’t you realize it’s these escorts that cause problems for normal drivers like myself? In fact, I recall that it was some silly couple’s “escort” that almost ran me off the bridge because they had just gotten married. What is that. Are we lesser beings because mummy and daddy don’t have connections to the police or military? Bad traffic/drivers is no excuse to join in the madness.

• aosgrl August 22, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Thank you! And the fact that your parents, Civilians as it seems can hire a government paid official to escort you around when you do not have any official government responsibilities yourself is evidence of the decaying structure of our government and society. Where else in the world can someone pay a soldier to escort a private citizen? Nah beans?

• Effect August 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I understand how you feel and I was contemplating writing this initially. However, like I said, I do not believe my parents are part of the problem. I am very proud of my parents and their unassuming attitude and character. An officer was allotted to me simply for security because we have had a traumatised experience as a family in the past in relations to all these rubbish going on in the state. After telling my parents my experience, my mum being a mother decided to use what she knows best at that particular point in time. Need I point out alos that they did not hire any officer, they work under my dad’s supervision so automatically they are also meant to protect his family. Which I believe every single person on this forum if in my shoes will do the same. My parents might be invovled in the government but they are upstanding citizens of the country and they are a part of the minute few who render selfless and dedicated service. I am pround to call them my parents. There are some people who think they are above the law and would intimidate and exploit people> They will always be around until some catches them and deal with them. I also need to point out that after reading this article, I sent it to my dad and I can assure you that Gov Fashola will see it.

• Lummy August 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM

*goosebumps*

• Ready August 22, 2011 at 3:27 PM

The sad thing is that because of dumb idiots like Mutiu Balogun and his crew of degeneraters, people will quickly forget that Lagos is improving in its delivery of public service. I am so sorry that you were assaulted and mistreated. If this gets to Fashola, I have every confidence that something will be done.
      Please don’t give up on our country, everyone. We’re finally getting a semblance of order–think about it, now we actually know their names and have a forum to vent. We can fix this, we can’t just give up.

• Written August 22, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Lola, you definitely have done the right thing and I hope this gets to the office of the Governor. I had a similar experience during my visit to Nigeria in 2008. Luckily there’s was no physical assault but I was asked to pay a fine for being in a car with a company logo on it by what looked like a group of touts. Till today, I do not know what I was supposed to have done wrong. After a long and heated fracas at the roadside, My companions and I went to the local government ‘office’ where I was asked to pay a fine for – according to the document I was given- a crane. Even worse, a local government officer attempted to tell me that the word ‘crane’ on the document meant car!!!! After realising their stupidity eventually, they let me go without paying but having wasted two hours of my time. It’s disgraceful to say the least.

• http://diaryofsnw.blogspot.com/ August 22, 2011 at 3:39 PM

it is sad to hear your story and hopeful the government can explain who is who in Lagos authority. What they can and cannot do

• Julz August 22, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Sorry for your ordeal! Its traumatising for a woman to have a man put his hands on her no matter the circumstances that surround it. And then to be further victimised by other men who laugh at and ridicule your ordeal is even worse.

Stay strong my sister.

• Onyx August 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM

I’ve been assaulted by a Nigerian mobile police officer in the guise of “protecting convoy” and this is one reason why a part of me hates Nigeria too much to live there anymore. So I have a fair idea of how royally p**sed and absolutely frustrated you must be about the inability to take anyone into for the assault Mutiu inflicted on you.

In my own experience, the NDDC director’s convoy tried to force itself next to my car, stranding me on the edge of the pavement and a crazed soldier came out to whip me through the window of my car for “interrupting convoy”. This happened in PH, I still have the scars and when I chased that convoy to the Hotel Le’Meridian where they were headed, to confront the so-called director about the actions of his officers, all I got was a dismissive apology from a smirking protocol toady. I sued but the case got thrown-out for insufficient evidence.

I hear things are getting better in Nigeria so write your governor and do not let anyone tell you that “to accept the fact [that] this is what they do”.

• Socris August 22, 2011 at 4:17 PM

hmm, thats all i can say. Port-Harcourt is just the same. The state of lawlessness in this country, only God will see us through.

• Teris August 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM

gosh. that’s so god awful!
      there’s a trunk full of really vile things i wish i cud have done to that ass-hole and every other like him.
      i feel upset like it happened to me and wat’s frustrating is the impotence u feel wen there’s nothing u can do about it but be sympathised with and urged to “be strong”.
      before i start swearing-

• boo August 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM

You should post this on Fashola’s page on facebook

• kidi August 22, 2011 at 4:38 PM

i thank God for blackberry.we need to broadcast this and many more issues like this round with the hope that it would one day get to someone who reads and understand. i am so so angry and i wish i could do more than just being angry.

• Nollywood Forever August 22, 2011 at 4:42 PM

This is unbelievable! No wait I’m sorry it is TOTALLY believable that this could happen in Lagos. I would never manage living there.

• Aibee August 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Dear Lola

I am really very sorry to read about your ordeal. I urge you not to accept it as a fact of life in Lagos and ‘move on with your life’ as some idiot up there urged you too. Please lodge a report to the Governor’s Office (seems to me Coomentator Ade up there has some connections in Alausa, you may wish to contact him/her) and press charges. Assault is both a criminal and civil wrong so even if the police is unwilling to help, you can proceed to court for damages. It will cost you some time and money but it’s a sacrifice to be made. Uzoma Okere paid it when Admiral (can’t remember the precise Rank now) Arogundade’s goons beat her on Adeola Odeku some years back. She has set a precedent. Take courage and do what you must do. God bless you. Lot’s of love.

• Tope August 22, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Please, use all the media and resources available to publicize this the more. Forward it to the governor, and any other officials you know of, as well as relevant TV shows that you can get in contact with. This type of thing really needs to stop.

• love-me-jeje August 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM

sorry madam. God will definetly heal our land.

• miss B August 22, 2011 at 4:56 PM

So sorry to hear about your ordeal, its very very bad , reading it alone sends shiver down my spine, but for me personally no one can do that to me in lagos and get away with, Nobody!!!

• lolade August 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM

sorry oooooo.i ntink u shd press d case.officer mutiu is an idiot n he will meet his waterloo.infact d whole lot of demwill mit dre waterloo.pls press charges.

• yep! August 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM

@ Kidi .. Finally someone is suggesting a solution! Most of us have BBs Abi? Let’s use what we have! Broadcast their names and location all over BB. Let’s start from here! Copy their names and broadcast! Sooner or later, it would get to the people in charge. Remember, this could happen to YOU tomorrow or anytime soon!

• AJCiti August 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM

That’s a very good idea! It’s time Nigeria started using social media for reform, enough is enough.

• Ijeoma Aniebo August 22, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Nigeria is slowly deteriorating. I live in Lagos and two days ago policemen tried to force us into a van because we were coming out of a bar at 11pm. The police men said we have to provide identification that is work ID before they’d let us go because national ID is not enough. This happened in Ikeja GRA so we can say there are no boundaries. Despite the fact that my cousin who was with me had her work ID, they wouldn’t let her vouch for us. They wouldn’t let anyone vouch for us. It took an ASP who was passing by t effect our release. I don’t understand, is Nigeria now saying women who aren’t employed in an organization can’t walk around after dark? There are prostitutes all over allen with police check points everywhere and it’s decently dressed young women that get harrased daily. I have heard stories of police men sexually molesting these young women they pick up under the guise of them being accused of prostitution and unable to prove otherwise. I’m scared of hoodlums picking me up and raping and harrasing me and now I have to worry about the police too? Something seriously needs to be done.’

• Mimi proof August 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Uhm…Ijeoma- it happened to me at Ikeja GRA. The day I picked my visa, I was in cab who couldn’t find the exact location of well I was putting up for the night. We both came down to ask around for help and before you say Jack – Some really rough police men started asking for identification and all sorts, I showed them my work id and they started going on and on about proof of address, I was like I live in a different state and I only came to do something in lagos for a day or two- Next thing – I was in a bus with several girls, confused and traumatized. I called everyone I knew and thank God, my friend who is married picked up and came to the police station to get me. Unlucky for me I spent 5 mins locked up, and they were saying to us, if we don’t pay up- they would transfer us to Kiri Kiri. Words cannot xpress how scared I was, or even traumatized at the thought of my passport in my bags or the money I had on. Long story short, the said prostitutes were let off and the innocents were treated like trash. God help us in Nigeria because the Police is not our friends

• tj August 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM

We have to speak. We have to revolt. We have to deliver ourselves from these dogs!

• Dipo August 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM

this sucks….very UNACCEPTABLE….The lawlessness of our country is getting to be too much.

• Lola Talabi-Oni August 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for your comments. It truly was a horrible, nightmarish episode (those are the only words I can find to describe it). I do want to push this as far as it can go because I want to believe that every little person that tells their story, even if nothing happens in the end, can help push things further along. No public official should have the right to strip someone of their dignity and respect.

• Ijeoma August 22, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I am 100% behind you! Go ahead, use what you have and push this forward. Imagine if you didn’t even have your lawyer? This is so crazy and scary! I am sorry you had to go thru this but use this and do something. By writing about your ordeal, you have already done something. Now, push even more further. “This is Lagos not London” are you kidding me?! What rubbish! Such rubbish gets me so agitated i swear! Move on my ass! Do something and make sure your voice is heard! I’m totally sharing this article with as much people as i can. Again, sorry you had to go thru all this. “This is Lagos not London.” can you imagine the audacity of these bastards? So we should be treated like animals because it is Lagos?! RUBBISH!

• Truth Teller August 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM

@Lola PLEASE, I am not just 1001% behind you, but would like to know the outcome of this story. Someone has to pay for being an idiot!!! It just has to stop. I live in abuja and we equally get harrased by not just uniformed men, but sirene blaring beer and pepper-soup drinking, pot-bellied politicians as well. Persaonally, i’ve had more than enough.please keep us posted and we as individuals would do whatever we can within our means and even push boundries to make sure this stops. you won’t believe how my heart was beating so fast in anger while reading this, how dare he touch you?????????I am soooooooooo upset!

• Babatunde O. Gbadamosi August 22, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Let’s use this on twitter, and we ALL link this story on our Facebook wall, as well as retweet Bellanaija’s tweet, which brought me here, and rebroadcast the link on our bbms. It should get someone’s attention rather rapidly.

#StopCBDExtortion or #SackMutiuBalogun

• Mimee August 22, 2011 at 5:54 PM

whether its a male or female that this happened to…this is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. To all those that are advocating that you should wait for God i say..CONTINUE WAITING…and to those advocating that yo move on with ur life…TOO BAD DTS Y TINS WOULD NEVA I MEAN NEVA EVA CHANGE…changes starts from here not accepting wrong tins and make efforts to correct the ills and wrongs of the society. we may not be able to totally eliminate ths bad eggs buh we sure can make Lagos state habitable by reducing this madness..

• Mimee August 22, 2011 at 5:55 PM

*CHANGE, *MAKING EFFORTS

• AJCiti August 22, 2011 at 7:00 PM

This is absolutely absurd. Police and state officials are meant to protect citizens and maintain order, not assault people! Nigerian still has a long way to go.. the corruption runs so deep.

• Tony August 22, 2011 at 7:04 PM

It is a pity what we experience in the hands of people in Uniform in this country. I have had several encounters with them and i usually say to my colleague that it will be easier for a camel to pass thru the eyes of a Needle than for Nigeria to be a better to place to live in. In one of my encounters with the Police i was reversing to pack my car properly abt 9pm in the night beside my office because we were informed that we will close very late that day, On reversing i saw an in coming vehicle so i slow down to allow the vehicle to pass to my suprise Armed policemen came out from a van cock their gun and told me to pack or they will shot me. After packing we argued for awhile which led to them deflating my four tyres . It took the intervention of over 10 colleagues of mine to talk(egunje) to this guys before the left me that night.
      If u can sue this Bastards and their Godfathers that place them there in order to fulfill their election promises to this Agbenro i am 100% behind u.

• Marchesa August 22, 2011 at 7:31 PM

This is totally unacceptable. We should use any medium available. BB, Twitter, create a Facebook page, post this on President Goodlucks page, good old handwritten letters to Fashola, radio stations, tv stations,create an online petition and blogs.

It could be your sister or mother treated in this shameful way tomorrow. Thankfully Lola lived to tell the story, how many haven’t?

Please everyone let’s get together.Little droplets make a mighty ocean. Nigeria must change. I’m totally in tears here. I weep for my nation. We can’t continue to let this happen.

Lola be strong, we will see this to a justifiable end.

Mutiu & cohorts, we will rid our precious land of you!

• lowo August 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Lola,please sue them, you have all their names and join the governor +/ the DG of the CBD in your case. It make take long to get to a logical conclusion but if we keep sweeping stuffs like this under the carpet, someone else will suffer the safe fate. And please try to bring this to the attention of the governor e.g if you can, paste your story on his facebook page. God will be with you!!!!

• SD August 22, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Lola, I thank God for your life cos God knows there have been people that have not survived such an ordeal. That said, you have done the smartest thing and I pray that Fashola gets this and sends a big message to this CBD agencies and the like. I thank God for your husband that he is a very level-headed person… People like me, God knows I would have been facing a murder charge by now cos I God knows “I would have strangled Mutiu” at the CBD office.
      God help us all…!!!

• SD August 22, 2011 at 8:01 PM

*cos I know*

• rosellar August 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Shameful acts from a law enforcement officer

• MelonX August 22, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I am certain if the Gov. hears about this it will be investigated and the mutiu guy and his friends will be dealt with. Our Gov. doesn’t play. I ones heard a story of a lady that had a similar experience, instead of driving the guy to his office/depot she sped to the 3rd mainland bridge like a mad woman, then intentionally crashed the car on the passenger side. The guy crawled out and started begging her…he told her to leave…that she was a “we re”.
      The lesson here is never give them an opportunity to get in your car in the first place. If they do get in, don’t get in…you could have been molested or even kidnapped and there will be no record of it. He refused to allow you to call your husband…what kind of law enforcement is that?

• Tinu August 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Its crazyyyy, a similar ordeal happened to my mum near the Lagos local airport rd. On her way back from church she pulled up onto a side road to remove her ‘gele’ and adjust herself comfortably before proceeding with her journey. As if she knew how difficult traffic wardens she clearly avoided the main road and so as not to commit a traffic offence pulled up on a quiet residential road. But to her surprise 2 minutes later two towing vehicles arrived one on either side of her car cornering her in may i repeat a quiet residential side road. With my mum still shocked sitting behind the wheel the wardens instantly attached the tow bars to her car and ordered her out of her car. She now hod to walk all the way to the office to pay N20,000 before getting her car released. When will such lawlessness end in Nigeria. Worst when will men of authority stop taking advantage of women’s vulnerability.

• Marchesa August 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I’ve created an online petition. Please use the link and let our collective voices create a change. http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stoptheassault/

Today Libyans are free from tyranny, because they collectively proclaimed to the world, their displeasure at their oppression .

If this needs to go to NTA/CNN/BBC/SKY News/Al Jazeera/Fox news,to create a change, we need to make it happen.

Stop the assault on our wives and mothers, on our brothers and sisters, on the young and on the old. Don’t assault our senses. Don’t bruise our bodies. Don’t demean our integrity and honour. Protect us don’t punch and punish us! Serve us, don’t inflict on us, pain and suffering we don’t deserve.

Simply STOP THE ASSAULT!!

• Mary007 August 22, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Dear Lola injustice anywhere is injustice to us all, I pray for strength for you and your family as you battle these individuals who have no value for others, do not be afraid there are those of us praying with you

• Steaming August 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I don’t know if it was a soldier or mobile police that kicked me, as in flying kick- the kick landed on my chest- because I did not step aside completely for him to pass when I saw him coming from the opposite direction and his shoulders brushed mine. This was in Marina as well. Okada guys and passer bys had to hold him back and beg him cos he was hell bent on beating me… For reasons like this and more, I can almost say that I HATE uniformed men. I CANNOT STAND THEM. LASTMA, CUSTOMS, POLICE, SOLDIERS. I DETEST THEM FOR THEIR LAWLESSNESS AND STUPID ABOVE-THE-LAW BEHAVIOR. That’s how one customs woman asked me for 10,000 naira at the airport, saying I had to give her that before she let me through. MScheew!! I praying and hoping seriously that all the people involved in this Lola’s case and every other uniformed person that causes grief to we “civilians” are ridiculed and humiliated!! Nonsense!!

• oladapo ayomipo August 22, 2011 at 10:07 PM

This is nt new 2 me.pls ds case shud be reported like in newspapers&other magazines.all dose public officials to police men are bunch of irresponsible people. A lot of frustrated people get employed into this services so they do not have the right character to deal with people&dispense their job wisely&without defilin human diginty.pls u can sue him for d breach of right 2 human dignity which is very easy,festus keyamo&a whole lot of female lawyers will be interested in this,so also d media.if we cannot curb corruption among politicians,we can still protect our human dignity.pls ds story must not be hidden,u will be surprised people will publish weorse scenarios.pls let us av our own nigerian awakening

• Bukky August 22, 2011 at 10:55 PM

@ Lola, you have done the right thing by speaking up.Silence equals to consent and if we all keep quiet then the status quo will remain. Hopefully, this gets to the appropriate authority and something is done about it.Words cannot express my anger right now It is such a shame that innocent citizens are subjected to such treatment.

• Bukky August 22, 2011 at 11:02 PM

All these stories are so scary.Imagine throwing girls in jail for no offence.In what world is that done?Instead of them to find ways to combat armed robbery, they are busy harassing innocent women.

With social media and all the various tools we have , our generation should be able to effect change.We should mobilize ourselves and seek for change.We cannot keep accepting the BULL CRAP from these lawless imbeciles.We can all start by posting this story on our facebook pages and twitter.Enough is enough!Kilode

• sweetie August 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM

This is too much, this is absolute rubbish , i am so angry i am breathing heavily. Why should anyone go through this because you want to tow her car, i am sick and tired of NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, they are a disgrace and serve no purpose but to bully citizens, i feel sick to my stomach, all parties involved nned to be sued for harrasment, battery and emotional ordeal the woman must have gone through..oh wait, this is naija, so nothing like accountability not to talk of suing…ok, i shall now go and pour cold water on myself and hope a sensible lawyer and fashola get into this matter.

• tokunbo August 23, 2011 at 6:36 AM

This is appalling! I notice many have suggested posting this to Gov Fashola’s facebook … that is a great idea. I just posted this on there… looks like I am the first so far. I hope more of you will post this on there as well. The more, the merrier and hopefully this will force a response.

• Ba Ni kidi August 23, 2011 at 8:14 AM

#JAILMutiuBalogun trending topic on twitter! Leggoooo!!!!

• iyabo August 23, 2011 at 8:39 AM

sorry Lola. Access to BRF is as difficult as you might think. Even if you send him a sms, he will most likely reply, maybe not immediately but he will.

• iyabo August 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I mean access is NOT as difficult as you might think

• Asake Sexy August 23, 2011 at 8:58 AM

very pathetic, it good that Lola took note of names of these corrupt and illiterate officers. it takes discipline and human feeling not to be carried away cos one is working for the government. the mentality is that once you are a govt worker, you are above the law. that is why some of them at old age wallow in poverty due to the corrupt nature and causes received from people they maltreated. i hope the officers in relevant ministry in charge of CBD would take the necessary actions over these men.

Lola, please find below:
      Special Adviser CBD – Mrs. Derin Disu (08039600190)
      Commissioner for Transportation – Mr. Kayode Opeifa (08075005411) opeifaeko@yahoo.com

• tahakeino August 23, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I definitely do not think she should forget it and move on, I think she can go on ahead and pester the offices of the government officials, it might take forever , it might not work out for her but it’s certainly a step in the right direction. Do all you can anf you might have paved the way for the liberation of Lagosians.

• Jules August 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM

This is so sad… Tola sorry for your ordeal. we live in a lawless country. Last year around mile 12 a lastma officer jumped into my car and i was driving him all d way to the island and then i started speaking in diff tones the guy was so scared and begged to come down… they r silly people. I hope the Governor does something about this.

And there are different uniformed officers on the street of lagos, the governor needs to explain what their roles/duties are. Most of them are the area boys i see in lagos island around my family house smoking weed. i know the gov does not want them to be idle but are they trained before being sent out to the public.

Therefore the Lagos state governor needs to train them and educate them before sending them out to harrass us. if not Lagos will be a jungle cos now i want to have pepper spray and taser in my car and bag.

• moses August 23, 2011 at 10:25 AM

i am sorry lola…. this is totally unacceptable and its a matter to look into..

• My thoughts August 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

This story is disturbing on soo many levels. I hate the harassment and the insecurity we all face at the hands of these government officials that decide to go rouge on their jobs. It is especially more terrifying as a woman because this reckless “official” could have done worse.

Someone suggested we post this on Fashola’s page. Please ladies, there are about 70 of us that have responded to this story thus far. Why don’t we all re-post the story on our personal facebook page so it catches someones attention. I like the fact that the authour has provided all the names.

Lola Talabi-Oni, do you give us your permission to re-post your story on our personal facebook pages and that of the state government in order to bring attention to it? Perhaps we post the story and then call for action points we want addressed. Since you went through the ordeal, you can tell us the action points you want articulated. We have read the story but it can not end there. We need to work together to bring an end to this madness or at least reduce it. This official may not be fired at the end of the day (though he certainly deserves to be on the unemployment line right now) but at least he has to answer some questions as to his actions, and provide an apology! I can not stand this constant injustice.

This may be a small battle but little battles need to waged before we can conquer the war on indiscipline and immorality in this country.

• adams arikora August 23, 2011 at 10:29 AM

these people you find on the streets were not giving training on their jobs on anything concerning human relations…all what the government did was to gather some bunch of nuisance and sewed uniform for them.the best word to describe them is they are just less animals wearing some piece of clothes denoting them as public officers and lagos state government shoild really look into these issues of molestation and harassment of citizenry.

• clay August 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM

GOSH! which kind yawa be this, well I am not surprised at all, I have always witnessed such yeye stuffs happening in Lagos, imagine KAI arresting vehicles and Okadas for disobeying there own so called traffic law. Is KAI in charge of that. Nothing for Lagos o, make we no dey deceive ourselves. All dem Fashola/Tinubu runs na film trick, dem just dey bread whip out hot soup. LOLA, if you can sue the guy, please go ahead. Sue the Mutiu guy, his oga, and the CBD, or whatever they call themself. NO gok urself o!

• pynk August 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM

rule #1, never allow anyone into ur car. Even if they are going to tow ur car, sit in ur car and let them tow it.
      #2, if they are following u, drive to the nearest police, soldier or naval barracks. If you get to the gate, give a random but popular name. if you are a woman, identify yourself as Capt Mrs. Okoro, or Ayodele. The Lastma or whoever will fall back immediately.
      The sorry truth is that these bastards are hungry, and they believe folks are unwilling to fight back. FOr those that are making noise about having escorts, u are not entitled to a paid army man guarding u, bcos u are using communual investments to ur own benefit.
      Lastly- it takes crazy to fight crazy. Never get out of ur car, or roll ur window down to the point where anyone can force their hand in ur car. I stop for police, and i rarely roll down my window. I drive off shortly after, if ur goal is to see the person in the car, then look @ my face. The truth is in Nigeria its when you pretend to be scared they take advantage. I need to start the Nigerian ipetition. Folks start taking pictures of abuses, eventually there will be an outlet to embarass all these folks.

• yemisi August 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I’m in support of this struggle. Who knows what could have happened when he hit you on the chest.

• Tobe August 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM

This is really absurd and grossly irritating! The excesses of these so called agents in Lagos are really too dangerous for silence! The lagos state government and of course the Nigerian government should think of a better system of public service and management. Lola’s is just one out of so many abuses recorded by these glorified “Alaye” or better still “Agberos” parading themselves as gents of the Lagos state government! THIS HAS TO STOP!

• Truth Teller August 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I am terribly sorry about the whole ordeal, and most have wirtten of my own grievance as well. As far as i’m concerned, that balogun guy MUST loose his job,PLEASE do everything you can to make sure he does. when we start having scape goats, the others would learn to behave themselves and stop harrasing inocent citizens when the morons are in need of some cash for some cheap high!

• ageebola August 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM

This is just illegal. It has become a growing trend as i experienced almost the same in Ibadan by some touts who said they were working for a local government. Their office was a makeshift of informal chairs and tables on the ground floor of a dilapidated building belonging to some local council. I was tricked there, on the pretext that i would fill a form as a first time offender because i dropped someone off on a road that didnt have any “no parking sign.”

We must fight this trend. I felt like i deserved a gun after that incident.

• Phoenix August 23, 2011 at 12:29 PM

This is totally unacceptable behaviour, i am so upset. I pay way too much tax to Lagos State to be maltreated by any official especially if i am being obedient and cautious. WARNING TO ALL ROAD/TRAFFIC OFFICIALS (NOT POLICE, they carry guns), IF YOU JUMP IN FRONT OF MY CAR WHILE IN MOTION, MAKE SURE YOUR LEGS ARE MADE OF STEEL OR YOU HAVE PROSTHETICS AT HOME BECAUSE MY BRAKES ARE FAULTY.

• Anonymous August 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Lola, so sorry about what happened to you. There are so many stories of police and state officials injustice in this place. We need to fight against this and find any avenue to reach the Lagos State Government and get those officials the punishment and disgrace they deserve! This is absolutely unacceptable!

• Phoenix August 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I am calm now. @ Lola, am so sorry for the harassment and assault you endured.

• Frau Reis August 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Accept it and move on? I refuse to read comments anymore! Accept it and move on!!! THAT RIGHT THERE, is our problem. We live in a lawless society so we should live like animals??

• ibinike August 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Hi Lola, I shared your note on my facebook page and a friend said I should give you her number. I guess she could help you with getting due justice. Do call Kemi Toso-Gbangba on08023232338.

• ao August 23, 2011 at 1:08 PM

The Lagos Government needs to make an example of these criminals. But on another note, the reason why such things happen is because the people on top, so-called elected officials, are generally corrupt, and therefore, lower level government employees take their cues from their bosses.

• eyiwunmi August 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM

this is what they do and they MUST be exposed! they do that to poor traders and sieze their wares while raining insults on them. i work in idumota and you need to see the way they play God! they allow area boys in danfos to park on the road and their “girlfriends” sell kai kai etc to these bus drivers. but when you park with your private cars they arrest and now harrass you. i think Gov Fashola should step into this and into idumota’s case particularly around Eyin eyo in front of GT bank! most times the CBD guys are scruffy, dirty and un professional! they eat on the streets, assist “agberos” to load busses…. the list is endless. i think fashola should pay them a surprise visit and just disguise so he can observe the rot in CBD!

• dewowo August 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM

i hv posted this on my fb wall and the response & awareness is gr8. start from anywhere there are many more Mutius out there waiting to strike! may they suffer abuse in hell!

• iyabo August 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

i meanNOT as difficult as you might think

• cathy August 23, 2011 at 3:34 PM

it just too bad that such is happening in our beloved country and some people just advice us to accept it. GOOD LORD!!! i hope the governor gets to hear it and do something about it. we are not safe here, i wonder were else we can find safety in this world

• Odior August 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Its so sad that abnormal stuff are seen as normal in our society, ITS VERY SAD. if u have the power to deal with the pple involved pls do

• Godlovesme4me August 24, 2011 at 6:20 AM

This is definitely such an insane behavior of all these lagos officials. They dont know how to do their job at all. I wonder if they get trained before they put on the uniforms…abi what kind of crazy inproper uneducative training are they getting if they are infact getting any. This is ridiculous for real. Lola, i’m very sry that this incident happened to you and I pray someone like Ade or any1 else that has such power will help in passing this case to the Lagos State Gov. Its truly getting out of control and something most definitely has to be done, otherwise these crazy officials will just kill people for nothing. We have to stand up for our rights and not take rubbish from them folks, they dont know how to handle the job situation and most certainly not fit to be wearing lagos state uniforms. All these different official names sef is just a way to launder money from citizens. They are all thieves and I strongly think that Lagos State Gov. shld account for all them officials cos I think some of these folks may not be truly hired by the Gov. directly they may be touts and area boyz wearing the uniforms cos they know someone in house. This is just pure craziness for real…very upsetting!!

• ........just saying August 24, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Lola,

In Apogbon, there are car parks which are to be used for that purpose. Stopping at the foot of the bridge to shop is breaking the traffic law as that area is a No Parking Zone. This however is no excuse for the official to physically assault you but the unfortunate reality is that you were on the wrong side of the law so you are partly to blame for this ordeal

• tgal August 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM

It is so annoying and demeaning. It just scares me living in Nigeria,though I am in Nigeria now I feel so unsafe cos u never know what these crazy uniform men can do. Pls let us all stand up and fight for Lola cos there will still be more cases like hers if we don’t.

• nwando August 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

This is just awful! Please do not let this matter rest until you get some form of justice. The way public officers conduct themselves in this country is just plain unacceptable! That was how one of my mum’s workers was arrested for having a gallon of petrol as he was leaving d fuel station. His offence? He was going to use the petrol to burn down d shopping complex.

• devina August 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM

just because it is lagos does not mean that sanity should be thrown into the air, and lets insanity becomes the order of the day.if lagos becomes the first city in africa to behave reasonably, where public office holders respect human rights rule, it will indeed be a worthwhile achievement.enough of these rubbish and lack of respect for the womenfolk.lagos state govt should please take note of this, and please rid the city of touts, drunkards and smokers who hide under the cloak of ‘government official’ to carry out nefarious acts.eko o ni baje ooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Abdulhameed Abubakar August 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Really sorry you had to experience such an arrogant and profane display. I hope they track down each individual involved in this scam and I really hope they get fired and prosecuted.
      Regardless of whether Fashola is doing well, whether he is straight or not – we all know that LASG officials are extremely corrupt. They all feel like they have some strange monopoly over morality, the law and justice. Anyone who forcefully or without invitation enters your vehicle is, as far as I’m concerned, a hijacker and that person, LASG official or not needs to be treated as a hijacker and made to accept responsibility for his/her attempted crime.

Guys pls post this link on your facebook, twitter etc

• Benedicta .I.O. August 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I’m so sorry about you story.that was real assault. Your lawyer should have instituted the action in court. So that that officer would be thought a big lesson, coz no one is above the law. The officer should tender an apology letter to you.

• B. Balogun-Ologolo August 24, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I am sorry Lola for the unspeakable behaviours of those worthless parasitical so call officials. You should allow your Lawyer to deal with the wick minded officer. He is not above the Law

• Oluwabee August 25, 2011 at 5:45 PM

well saw a similar case dis mornin. the lawlessness of our so-called law enforcement agents is sometin else.

• Dotun Ajayi August 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Please take the matter to court for assault. A public official who has no respect for the right of others, particularly awoman, another man’s wife has no business being associated with authorities like Lagos state. Really unfortunate that has become the culture in that dirty establishment as shown by his colleaques and even superiors, who did not see anything wrong in what he did to you. It’s clear that most of them a mistakenly born by human beings and such people should never be trusted with public responsibilities. You should charge him for asasult.
      secondly, you should report the case to EFCC. A lot of things are not clear about the establishment, operations and fine charging process. This is a good opportunity to look into their books, get them to establish systems and processes and move away from discretionary fining by hoodlums. A ‘system’ that allows one mutiu to arrest you without telling you your offence, arbitrarily give you a fine, judge you and even after paying the fine refuses to release your car for days needs to be changed. They over did it by playing God. Thankfully, we are still withing a federal structure, please call EFcc and the special fraud unit of the Nigerian police into this and lets turn the table around. This will send a strong signal to the both domestic and international investors ( and Lagos needs a lot of Forein Capital inflow, going by the untiring efforts of Govenor Fashola in major capitals of the world making a case for investment inflow to Lagos) that there is no more room for impunity in Lagos.

• Moibi Rasheed Adeniyi November 23, 2012 at 8:31 AM

This morning 23/11/12 at Ketu bus stop two non uniformed men who pretended as a commuter jumped into a vehicle that i boarded going to VI on filmsy excuse that the driver picked up passanger i wondered allowed how come Touts now work with LASTMAN. I pray someone can help to stop these guys.