My Breasts and I

I was thirteen when I got my first bra and I was already a C cup. Unlike most other people I knew, who started of with training bras before moving up the alphabet scale, I never saw my breasts grow. I woke up one day and they just appeared and since then, they have never stopped growing. I recall memories of being teased in secondary school that when I have children all I would have to do is fling my breasts to my back and breast feed from behind. There were also fond memories of my brothers reciting the anthem “Bobbie won tear shirt” anytime I wore a shirt with buttons.

In some strange way, my breasts have formed a huge part of my identity to both myself and other people. As perverted as it sounds, everyone looks forward to those cushiony hugs and however much I complain about the aching back its induced, or the fact that it doesn’t permit me to wear all the clothes I would like, I have never envisioned a me without these moulds of H cups that adorn my chests and make me obsolete every now and then. As I was once told “There will be no Wana without the boobs”

In the past I have been opportuned to speak with women who have had their breast taken out and one question I tend to ask is this; “What goes through your head when they tell you that your breasts have to go?” The response often sounds as though at the time of diagnosis, they are placed under an autopilot hex, so some of their replies go along the lines of “If the breast is going to kill me, just take it out”. The thought in itself is harrowing and I can barely imagine a fraction of what a breast cancer victim goes through. From what I am told, treatment is a sickness on its own not to talk of loosing a large chunk of who you are.

This October, I will be raising funds for women diagnosed with breast cancer who cannot afford their treatment. I will be collaborating with a charity called Sebeccly Cancer Care and Support Centre. Through a campaign titled 1k4Cancer, The hope is that as many people that can support the cause by donating one thousand naira, the better chance some of these women have at surviving.

To collect the funds, I am doing an office and church tour, where I go to offices doing the day for collections and churches on Sundays to seek donations as well. We are also encouraging direct donations to the Sebeccly account. I will take photos at the offices and the photos will form part of my weekly diary that will be published here on BellaNaija.com. Besides detailing the emotional and psychological ups and downs attached to convincing Nigerians that I am not running a scam (I almost gave up during planning stage), the photographs would add some form of accountability and transparency. I will also give daily updates on twitter on funds being raised.

I currently have a list of 7 women whose treatment comes to a cost of 8 million Naira and one lady’s treatment alone runs up to 5million amongst the lot. I remember her speaking at a cancer workshop telling the audience that she was better off dead because she could barely afford two meals a day.

According to Andy Warhole, everyone will be famous for 15minutes but I feel opportune to have been allotted a few extra minutes. I don’t know how successful this will be but I reckon I might as well put the little popularity I have to good use, whilst I still have it.

If you would like to support the “1k4Cancer” campaign, you can donate directly to

Sebeccly Cancer Care And Support Centre

Guarantee Trust Bank 0010849209

If you would like me to come to your office or church or perhaps you would like to help gather funds from your family and friends, (I call those office and house prefects) you can call me on

08090088922

Email info@sebecclycancercare.org

Visit www.sebecclycancercare.org

For daily updated on funds raised, follow MissWanaWana on twitter

One persons one thousand Naira can turn a victim into a survivor.

32 Comments on My Breasts and I
  • nwando October 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Great idea wana! I applaud your courage and perseverance at what must be a daunting task.

• FlourishingPillar October 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm

This is the best thing I’ve seen anyone do as regards the breast cancer campaign. thumbs up!

• Natoday? October 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Good job! u’ve got a large heart dearie…

• www.c5wk6.blogspot.com October 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Someone asked me when I harassed him for a donation, “Why breast cancer?” My reply, having a pair I believe is a good enough reason. THINK PINK

• Uchechi October 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Good initiative!

• Bibi October 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm

God be with you.

• ‘Mina October 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Good job Wana! I’m gonna try and do some PR for u;so that my friends would give towards it. God bless U big Wana..hugs

• Duvy October 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I so knew it was Wana… Just after the First line. lol. Im in Wana what do we need to do?

• Damsel October 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm

May God bless your effort and i wish all honest hearted people will be motivated and donate.

• Debo October 5, 2011 at 3:29 pm

How do we donate outside 9ja? Notable cause and I would love to be part of it. Had a lump removed from my breast at 16 and another early this year (fortunately neither was cancerous) and each time I keep wondering what life would be like if either was cancerous and my breast had to be removed… May God bless you effort… Oh now I remember, a GTBank transfer would work. Just clicked.

• Debo October 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm

And GTB’s online banking refuses to work… I tire for that bank o…. other options please

• wana October 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Thanks all for your support. To help, just spread the word and you can reach me on 08090088922, i will be at Silverbird Gallaria this saturday pleading for direct donations from the general public. many thanks again

• Bibinie October 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Nyc work Wana!

• Aibee October 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm

BellaNaija, where is the ‘like’ button when you need it?

• ogonna October 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm

abi oh!

• Pearl October 5, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Good One Wana!God Bless You And Your Efforts

• Chioma U October 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm

i will def see you @ the galleria this weekend. Good Job!

• Queen October 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm

i’m a tripple D & i love my ‘babies.’ even though somtimes I gt backaches & somtimes d cloyhes i love cant fit in bt i neva stop thanking God for them. I’ll donate 1k4 in 5 places on behalf of my 4sistas & my mum. I pray God will touch more well meaning nigerians 2donate & may d lives of women b changed. God bless u real gud Wana.

• Adia October 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Go Wana! Go Wana go!

• Tiki October 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Thank you for speaking up and out and doing your bt for breast cancer awareness, luv. I’ll be sending my contribution. And good luck with those H cups! Mehn! I’m a E cup and i’m dying here…

• ‘Nifesimi October 5, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I had the same experience growing up, I never even got to know what a training bra is till later on. Even though I know it’s not right to be vain but my breast is a large part of who I’ve become and I can’t imagine not having them. I’ve started making people aware of this. May God bless you and everyone involved with this initiative.

• Onyx October 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I am going to do what I can to support from outside Nigeria & will spread the word here as well. Thank you for raising awareness about this.

• eloho October 6, 2011 at 12:42 am

Absolutely Impressive! I will try to be at Silverbird since i have a sale to be at. Pls let us know you next venues so we can come oh! May God be with you and grant you favor and Grace!

• faith October 6, 2011 at 1:14 am

U̶̲̥̅̊ r a wonderful person Wana…av copied d acct number will be going τ̅☺ d bank very soon ….thumps up dear…

• Mummy October 6, 2011 at 8:25 am

God bless u…I am inspired and I will def do my part!

• fisayo aluko thompson October 6, 2011 at 2:19 pm

nice one wana,im well endowed too nd il luv to help anyone who’s havin trouble wiv diers.i knw wat it feels like to av a part of ur body at risk of sending you to d world beyond.

• Big Fan October 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm

i love this piece and i love you tons!!! My God go defn make you BIGGER!

• TJ O’Karo October 7, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Wana this is a lovely initiative! The requested sum is not too much as to discourage people! I will definitely pitch in. An idea just crossed my mind however, and i pray you do not think that i’m a perv or something. As a lover of big women i was thinking that perhaps you could have sort of like a “Hug-fest” where guys (or girls) could give you a hug and you “charge” them the baseline donation of N1k? You could do it at the Galleria and I’m sure with enough publicity, guys (esp lovers of big women like me) would oblige! Just a friendly-for-cancer-hug. Make it fun is all i’m saying!! *nowgoingbacktomyregularself*

• wana October 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Tj did that in England during red nose day but and but dont know how it would work in our supossedly conservative society loll. but good one tho. all for a cause ey

• Bi October 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Well done Wana !

• Qutey… October 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Well done Wana, thanks for getting me moving… as for anybody hating u for ur outburst on d rape issue, I refuse to pray for them to experience the same, but rather dat d spirit of ignorance shld be uplifted from their lives n d gift of a sound mind be restored to them along with some common sense!!!