BN Prose: Crystal Vapours by Yane K

Posted on Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 at 1:21 PM

By Yane K

It was a cool Friday night in the city and instead of going out on the town and having a good time, I was sitting across from the man I loved, Caleb, but I didn’t recognize him. His eyes were red and droopy and his cheeks were sunken. Clearly something very wrong was happening to him but I didn’t want to care anymore, it hurt too much.

I had been on this rollercoaster ride before and I wanted out, now! I  wouldn’t have let him into my place but he said he wanted to get the last of his personal effects and I needed to exorcise him tout de suite.

Sitting across from him now, I wondered what I ever saw in him- was it the way his lashes curled when he blinked, or the way his smile lit up his face? No, I do not like this man, I do not like his widow’s peak, or the slight limp he has when he walks. I especially do not like his arms when he carries me to bed after I fall asleep on the couch or the way he raises his bushy eyebrows when he gets mad. Most of all, I do not like that he knows how to get me to sit here and listen to what he was saying when I was done with him, with us. So it was a huge shock to my system when with tears streaming down his face he uttered the words….

“……I’m addicted to crystal meth”.

I had only been half listening to him but all my red flags went up.

“…isn’t that like a d-d-drug?” I managed to ask.

Yes it was. It was a very lethal drug, a cheaper alternative to cocaine as such more deadly and more readily available.

This whole time I thought his Jekyll and Hyde routine was part of some psychotic games guys played. I mean, just two months ago I had to stand in line for 8 hours at the county jail to bail him out because he had been arrested for unpaid speeding tickets. The time before that, he disappeared for 3 days on his ‘way’ to my house. It was the longest 3 nights of my life. I couldn’t eat or sleep and I called everyone I knew but no one had seen him. I feared the worst when finally on the third day he called me saying he went to a concert and was now sleeping off the after effects at the home of a girl he used to know in school. I went through fits of rage and took out my frustration on whatever belonged to him at my place (what can I say, not my proudest moment). A week after his disappearance, he nonchalantly told me he thinks we should be friends (imagine, after 2 years together he wants to be friends?!) because he needed to relive his school days. I was so shocked I couldn’t speak. And now this, it was the last straw in a long list of things. He was breaking me and I was letting him, no more! He had become an alien to me and I was determined to send him back to the mother ship even though it hurt like hell.

How? When? Why didn’t I see it? Why didn’t I know? Questions I asked myself. But how could I have known? I had no experience with drugs or addictions, I couldn’t read the signs. The drawn sunken look, the forgetfulness, the red eyes, the insomnia, oversleeping (sometimes he’d sleep for over 12 hours and I would fear he was dead), the under-eating, the aggression, the delusions, oh my God the DELUSIONS! NO, I did not want to be here!

But here I was, sitting in a room with this man again and getting sucked into a battle with his personal demons which I did not have the strength for. I had two choices, stick to the plan and get him out of my life (the choice my head made) or stand by him and help him beat this demon (the choice my heart made).

The next morning at7 am, I showed up to the Abused Substances Rehab Center not really knowing what to expect. True to his promise, Caleb was already in the lounge waiting for me. When we approached the receptionist, she asked him what his addiction was, then, had him fill out some forms after which he was to go into the first room down the hall to his left. While he was carrying out her directives, she turned her attention to me and asked what I was addicted to. I was completely shocked at her assumption, wondering if any part of my appearance could be misconstrued as that of an addict and only managed to stammer my way through a response

“I-I-I’m only here for s-s-support” I replied heat rising to my neck.

At this she went back to doing her mundane task of nonchalantly sorting through files.

Caleb looked at me with a crooked smirk and I had to restrain myself from wanting to wipe it off his face with a slap. Because of his bad habits, I was being mistaken for an addict and I didn’t think it was something to smirk about.

“What’s funny?!” I just about growled into the early morning silence

“You” he said. “You said you don’t have an addiction but you do”

“Oh yea, what’s my addiction?!” I spat, my nostrils flaring

“Me” he responded. “You’re addicted to me”.

I felt like someone had just dropped a ton of bricks on my head as his words rang in my ear. Without missing a beat, he handed the forms back to the receptionist and walked down the hall to a room marked “Step 1” leaving me behind as the pieces of my crumbling self esteem slowly hit the floor.

What do you need to go to rehab for?

Photo credit: rehabclinic.org.uk

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags:

• Custom Search
  • 39 Comments on “BN Prose: Crystal Vapours by Yane K”

Comments
    • hauwa b. January 24, 2012 at 1:34 PM

cute story

• teebee January 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM

wow! she should just drop him off like a bad habit!!! why do girls love bad guys? if he cannot get his act together by himself he will never ever do in the future. ANYWAY i wish him the best, no one is irredeemable…

• murewa January 24, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I hope she leaves his stupid and cocky ass behind and never looks back. I wonder why the last couple of lines pissed me off instead of make me laugh. Maybe, cos it wasn’t funny.

• sensation January 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I concur. you are right.

• Tops! January 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Pity what some ladies go through all in the name of love.Girl you deserve better. Put his stuff in a bag and send it to the rehab. Never ever look back.

• Chinazar January 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Interesting…

• emi January 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

pepo!!!!!!!!!!!! The question is “What are you addicted to?” Its not a real life story!!!!!!!!!! so theres no need to hope she leaves him or offer advice. You do realize that you’re in the BN prose section don’t you? The essence of this story is for each one of us to look into our own selves and identify our addictions. Its quite easy to look at the one whom the effects of his addiction is open for all the world to see but its a lot harder for us to look at ourselves and admit to those addictions whose effects may not be so noticeable by all.

• Akpeno January 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM

LOL! No mind dem! Naijas and their flare for drama and romance!
        The question na wetin you dey addicted to???

To ansa d the question…. NADA! I rarely “Hold on” to things and can’t let go… but I neva born pikin so who knows?? Maybe I’ll be addicted to my pikin :)

• moi! January 24, 2012 at 2:52 PM

@emi. Exactly! well said. look into ourselves and see what we are addicted to.

• kerie January 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I totally agree with him. When the receptionist asked the question, I wanted to scream out, him. You are addicted to him :-)

• kerie January 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I actually thought that was were the story was going :-)

• D gurl next door January 24, 2012 at 3:52 PM

i love the end.. what you in a rehab for? like @emi pointed its a prose.nice one Yane K

• sides January 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

fantastic write up…wow

• belicious44 January 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I hope this is not real. looks like fiction to me..

• emi January 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Are you for Real??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kindly note the header which by the way is at the top of your screen. Just look up and you’ll see it…..do you see it now???? yup baby you’re in the BN PROSE section (note the caps) it doesn’t just look like fiction , IT IS FICTION!!!!!!! full stop. It’s the writer’s imagination come to life simple……
        btw .. What are you addicted to?

• Ready January 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

@ Emi, babe calm down. It’s not wrong if someone hopes aloud that the story’s not real…the use of ‘prose’ does not equal fiction. Prose can be non-fictional and as such based on/be a real story…Truth is afterall, sometimes stranger than fiction, and this story is quite plausible.
          Having said that, I’m addicted to mental penny pinching…I worry so much about money even after having spent it…at first it was necessary but now not so much. I should let go and not fret so much.

• pwinces January 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM

beautiful peice…..what am i addicted to?hmmmmm….
      tnx Yane k.

• Osama January 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM

No I’m not addicted to FBI..

• Myne Whitman January 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM

A topic most of us don’t like to think about, but you’ll be surprised how many young professional people are on one drug or the other. And then there’s love. Hmm…

• Kawanki a' Boston January 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Good Job Yanny!!!Well written

• Kawarki a London January 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Na gode :)

• Erhuvwu Akpoghiran January 24, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Nice write-up I loved the Dr jekyll and hyde analogy

• Temiloluwa January 24, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I guess it becomes easier to break an addiction when you identify you have one and accept it is bad for you. So yea, what’s MY addiction? Hmm…

• faith January 25, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Can a lady b addicted τ̅☺ s*x?…

• mike January 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM

yes its very possible, i know i am addicted to something but can just place my hand on it

• cathy January 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

how can you be addicted to something you can’t place your hand on? well im addicted to men with intellectual power and successful people

• jasmine January 25, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Yankeetah! so proud of you i can hear your voice in my head on said mother ship reference! i loved it…when’s the next one being published??? – Meetah

• Weeta January 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM

lol, bring on the TPS’s! Love ya!

• ada January 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I hope she turned and left him there. What rubbish!

• Bolanle January 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM

very interesting! although it is fiction, i did think that if i were even in such a situation I prob would have done the same in terms of helping him through the addiction, but in terms of staying with him after that would not happen.

but this happens to so many men/women alike. Why are we addicted to the things that bring us pain, sadness, sorrow, that are no good for us, that do not elevate us but bring us down…..it makes me wonder!

Although cheeky, he could see the hold he had over her which is quite scary yet manipulative!

Good prose

• NMBW January 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

She should have filled that form and gone in for thorough de-calebification!

What am i addicted to?? Men?? (in a safe way, tho) lol

• Redcarpetgoat January 25, 2012 at 12:30 PM

@Faith that question is K-leged.
      nice read!

• pingfourpentahydrate January 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Addiction
      Sweetpain
      Fantasies
      They all go together like traffic and weather
      The weakness of women lies in one thing…trying to make real what exists in the movies they watch… and then wishing they could take the lead role in real life..

• onyx January 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Shopping. I’m addicted to shopping :-( Slowly and determinedly breaking myself out of the habit though…

• onyx January 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Btw, can you say “I love shopping” without admitting any addiction to the sport?? Isn’t that as delusional as saying “I love cocaine” without admitting you’re an addict?

Just asking out of curiosity…

• ladybird January 25, 2012 at 4:11 PM

@ Emi, thanks for the explanation, I admire your patience. BN, it is indeed a good read. I can say I’m addicted to control. I am a control freak!!!! Where can I get help??? Answers anyone???

• Tee January 25, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Dis got me tinkn………

• faith January 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I asked if a lady can b addicted τ̅☺ s*x cos a gf of mine might b!as for me , am a shopaholic n not stopping anytime soon!

• doll January 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM

There’s a certain person in my life I think A̶̲̥̅♏ addicted Τ̲̅☺….I don tire for myself sef