Posted on Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 at 9:20 AM

By Nolita

I was watching re-runs of TLC’s addictive TV program “Say Yes to the Dress” a few weeks ago and got really excited when I spotted a Nigerian bride! For the “unaddicted”, “Say Yes to the Dress” is a TV show about brides shopping for their dream wedding dresses at the famous Kleinfeld Bridal wedding dress store in New York.

On a particular episode focused on brides with sky high budgets, we met Liza. Liza is a Toronto based Chiropractic Doctor with Nigerian Parentage. Liza had already found an amazing crystal top and skirt by Pnina Tornai which cost about $17,000 for her “Nigerian wedding” (Wedding in Abuja, Nigeria) and was looking for a dress to top that for her “Toronto Wedding” (Wedding in Toronto, Canada).
She searched through all the high-end options but in the end, she couldn’t find anything to top her first choice. It was interesting to watch! No need for me to explain, you can watch below.

Liza’s Search for a High-Fashion Dress

Liza and her fiance Basil celebrated their first wedding in grand style in Abuja. You can watch the video below. Amazing cinematography by Film Style Weddings.

Liza + Basil – A Royal Wedding in Nigeria from Film Style Weddings on Vimeo.

They also made an cute wedding music video using P-Square’s “No One Be Like You”.

Music Video: My Queen from Film Style Weddings on Vimeo.

Finally in 2011, they celebrated their Toronto wedding at the luxe Ritz Carlton in Toronto, Canada. I was really curious to see the dress that Liza would choose for this occasion. In the end, she wore the same crystal embellished top which she debuted at her Nigerian wedding with a different skirt.
Check out photos below via amazing Canadian wedding blog – www.wedluxe.com

Liza’s Toronto Wedding – Video

Liza + Basil – Toronto Wedding from Film Style Weddings on Vimeo.

Photography by ZMolu Photography

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags:

• Custom Search
  • 72 Comments on “Liza’s Showstopping Wedding Tale – The “Say Yes to the Dress” Wedding Dress, 2 Weddings & More!”

Comments
    • MIMI February 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

na wa oo>> is a serious simething!

• lily February 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM

LWKMD

• yeye February 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Lovely wedding! I love ‘say yes to the dress’, too bad I missed the episode with the Nigerian. Cos I was always wondering whether we would ever see a nigerian on the show, I even imagined being on the show yself, lol. Happy married life to the couple!

• Ready February 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM

There’s been a Nigerian on the show before. A beautiful dark skinned Yoruba girl who came in with her Yoruba fiance. She fell in love with a very haute dress–high collar, full skirt, gorgeous dress and twirled around in it for a while. It was pretty expensive…about $10,000 if not more. Ase they were not ready to pay…her bobo was all “babe you know we just came to look, we have to come back with the money.” She was sad but vowed to come back…never did. I felt ashamed.
        Also, TLC has done a special program about a Naija wedding in the US before, it was classy and colorful..it was one of like two or three weddings that they put together for a random but entertaining show. I really should stop spending so much time ogling weddings.

• me February 22, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Yeah the girls name was Sola. The dress was a White Chocolate Label by Scott Corridan. I have tried to look for the episode to post here. It was quite embarrassing cos the fiance wanted to take a pic of her in the dress. We all know that Kleinfield does not allow you to take a pic until you have purchased the gown. At the end of that episode, the narrator was like “Sola never came back”. LOL!!!! It looked like they did not have the money to begin with but wanted to be on the show. SHAME!!!! Next time don’t pick a $10,000 dress and not have the money ready to drop. She should have known how much it costs.

There was another Nigerian girl Kemi that was on the show too. Her dress was…ok!!!

• Tudbee February 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Lol. I actually saw both episodes too so its not just you .

• HiroHairven February 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Why do you assume it was because it was too expensive? Why were you ashamed? and embarrassed? Hia na wa. You ‘Say Yes to the dress’ addict KNOWS not to take pics, why do you assume that the fiance had known? cos you have assumed that he had ever watched the show before? loll.. Couldn’t there have been other reasons why she never went back for the dress?? Please don’t criticize when you don’t have the full facts of the story… Thank you..

• cleo February 24, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Yes i watched the episode of the naija gal and her fiance….me sef suspected that she would not come back for the dress…lol…but was still nice to see a naija gal on the show though…

• Sauve March 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Ashamed about what?? Would you have purchased a $10K+ dress. A lot of people leave say they are coming back and never return!

• Irene September 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM

What was the name of the dress she tried on? Who was the designer? I’ve been looking for the dress.

• onyi February 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

my sister na real wa oo…congrats sha nice

• OmoBolanle February 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

It is a real wa!

• @_Iyore February 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Awww they look really happy together! Her family is rich!

• babe February 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Say yes 2 d dress is a vri addictive show. Love it

• lolly February 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

chiropractor… ok!

• Pjobaby February 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I am impressed! When you’re big, you’re big!!

• MAMA PUT February 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM

WOW! Extra special post. Very happy Bella. Must have taken ages to put all these different elements together. Thank you. The video was amazing, loved all the elements of the wedding. Beautiful. The bride reminds me of Wendy Williams

• omamwen February 22, 2012 at 12:53 PM

very beautiful! I was thinking the same thing too, she reminds me of Wendy

• Babe February 23, 2012 at 4:48 AM

my thoughts exactly and almost same personality

• simi February 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

this is a very serious wedding oooo!!! God have mercy!! When a Nigerians wants to spend money we are sooooo good at it!!!

• ruzy February 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM

no be small thing……..congrats

• BukiOni February 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Wow…Wishing them a happy married life filled with love, joy, peace, progress, fruitfulness and prosperity x

• DINMA February 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

kai the Lord of chosen would do my own! AMEN!

• NIno February 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM

There is something wrong with my country….17k dols for the dress and half a million for the “Nigerian” wedding….
      I wish the couple the best but…again…there is something wrong with my country….

• blgtrl February 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM

the dad was in government, so no biggie…………..

• Lue February 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

its real wa o..hmnnnn. when money talk……………..
      and ermmm…ppl should please stop saying “they look so happy together”.,,,,,,,,,they are getting married, shouldnt they be?!!

• Mari-anne February 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Waouw!!! i really like nigerian weddings!! im a french cameroonian, and i let tell you that your way to celebrate is just amazing!!! your culture is also rich and colourful.

• ona February 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM

When did Chiropractors become “doctors”?
      Very glitzy wedding. She looks alot like Wendy Williams.

• Tania February 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM

In Canada and America they are. Go figure!

• bettyB February 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Chiropractors are not medical doctors. They are healthcare professionals in their own.They can call themselves “doctor” as they complete a doctorate programme.

• ona February 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM

ummm no. I live in America, and i’m a medical doctor. Chiros are not called doctors just like physical therapists arent doctors. Unless ofcourse they have a PHD in which case any PHD is a doctorate degree.

• bettyB February 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM

@Ona You live in the U.S.A but the lady in the article lives in Canada where they can use the title of doctor

• boo February 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM

If not Doctors, what are they??? Google is your friend

• jamie March 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM

you need to realize that not only MDs carry the title “dr” as you might think. you really need to broaden you thoughts as your knowledge is only restricted to that which you have acquired at medical school. there’s more to life than the MD you carry behind your name. Its only a title lil girl…… Besides, not all MDs have $$, at the end of it all its not about the title, its about the $$$.

• jbabe February 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM

na wah ooooooooo,this one na serious matter ooooo but thw wedding gown is just too beautiful. i wish u all the best and a blissful wedding.congratssss

• faith February 22, 2012 at 2:33 PM

money talkin….

• Francesca February 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM

The first dress is absolutely gorgeous!! Wishing her all the best in her marriage.

• Personal Shopper February 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM

ok…No comment for now

• shadeow February 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

hian…….no comments

• Ronnie February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I Loooove “Say Yes to the dress”.. I’m looking forward to trying on dresses for my own wedding too Ooo!

• PD February 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM

saying to myself….dont turn green with envy girl….just say congrats n smile….so congrats …..may Almighty God bless ur union!!! Amen!!! *cough*

• cynthy February 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM

See dey shud not go and break up oooo,bcus tis one no be small tin,i love the whole sitting arrangement tho

• pynk February 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM

WOah! Wendy williams has a twin and she is Nigerian.

• Gorgeous February 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Lol, She does look too much like Wendy Williams. As for $500k though for the Nigerian wedding, ermmm, ok. Let me leave it at that. Cute wedding any way.

• Pendo February 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM

awwww i saw this a while back love love love their p-square video very creative

• yoyo February 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM

please whats the name of that church in abuja?

• Babe February 23, 2012 at 4:49 AM

no be any church. na that christian centre opposite CBN

• T-baby February 22, 2012 at 7:29 PM

NA BEANS??
      Odikwa serious!!!

• Truth be told February 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM

i love the fact that they had fun. the bride seems like a likable person

• ojaybaby February 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM

too much money like woah no be my fault!

• Namesake February 23, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Yea, I remember watching this almost 2 years ago on Say Yes to the address. I was wondering how could she afford such a gown, like seriously on that show, she was one of the top 5 highest priced brides. She was asking for $35k – $50k gowns. Of cos, the family has some oil connections (ex-minister of petroleum). O dikwa serious o!

• finemocha February 23, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Oh my God, this wedding is lavish and wonderful, i wish you two a very happy married life. i remember seeing this lady on kleinfeld. you have very good taste

• kehinde February 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM

odikwa serious my sister.hmmmm

• NNENNE February 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Watched the videos,especially the one they were dancing on the mountain top and wondering what Nigeria would have have been if we had adequate security… How our tourism would have boomed.Any how, I still love love my country!
      Happy married life, Lisa and Basil.

• Mary Young February 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

This is the best wedding Bella Has ever posted… Words can not describe how excellent this looks…

• OmoBolanle February 24, 2012 at 1:29 AM

na wa o. My sentiments exactly….odikwa serious o! Lord have mercy!

• Ejiwunmi February 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Odikwa serious

• Margaret February 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

This is very cute. Over the top but very creative. Loved every minute of it !

• funke bucknor-obruthe February 29, 2012 at 3:38 AM

i wonder who planned the abuja wedding

• Funmi March 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Display of wealth gbaa lele yi o Oluwa ma gbagbe mi o

• Sewa March 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    • Debra March 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I saw the episode of ‘Say Yes To The Dress’ and loved it. However, I was a bit disappointed that she did not do anything with her hair. Bad weave job. Surely, with all the money she spent on this wedding she could not hire a decent hair stylist. Not sure about Canada…but Nigeria, New York and LA…full of good stylist. Overall…loved her wedding.

• Frann May 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM

My thoughts exactly… bad hair with all that money!

• CC March 16, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I remember her Abuja wedding, the reverend pastor started the wedding without them and when she walked in even though the reverend didn’t allow them to do a wedding march, everyone turned to look at her, the corset, the hair, the whole effect was very WOW.

• YeyeB March 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Wedding amazing! Had an older gentleman who was glued to d iPad watching, he wanted to see more and more as did I!

• kesha March 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

who sing the song at 10:50??

• JADE March 23, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I ODNT UNDERSTAND Y ANYONE WILL SPEND SO MUCH ON A WEEDN DRESS OR HAVE 2 WEDDINGS. U ONLY FET MARRIED 1 TIME BUT U WILL CONTINUE TO LIVE IN UR HUSBANDS HOUSE, NO MATTER HOW RICH ONE IS IT MAKES NO SENSE TO SPEND SOOO MUCH MONEY.
      I HOPE THE MATERIAL STUFF LASTS FOR THEM

• jtk April 2, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Every1 is different. That’s the way she wanted to celebrate her big day (it doesnt have to make sense to any1 else). BEAUTIFUL WEDDING AND I WISH THEM THE BEST IN THEIR MARRIAGE.

• majo April 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM

that hair in the TLC episode is the same hair in the wedding…which is the same hair in the dance video and the same hair in the canadian wedding. Blonde weave. i mean … can we change it up? geeeez

• anita April 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I like

• andrea July 11, 2012 at 8:55 PM

COOOL

• Josephine Nhlappo December 14, 2012 at 7:02 AM

First I want to congradulate the GORGEOUS BRIDE – may god bless you ubandantly. It makes me feel proud as a fellow black African (South African) woman to witness one of my sisters having a wonderful accasion. To all the negative comments, stop being jealous!