BN Music Friday Top 5: Young Nigeria

Hi, my name is Onos O and starting from today, Bella Naija Music promises you a weekly specialized Top 5 countdown. This week’s BNM Friday Top Five is “Young Nigeria”; we picked the top 5 hot tracks from the youngest stars in Nigeria.

I picked “Young Nigeria” for the first edition because, cheesy as this sounds, I believe that the youth are the future and well, I’m pretty young myself so I couldn’t find a reason why not to; charity begins at home anyway.

Speaking of the youth being the future, one of my uncles never agreed with that saying and justly too. His argument was:

“When I was in primary school, my teachers would say, ‘the youth are the future leaders of tomorrow’. Back then, OBJ was president. Years later, when I had gotten married and had kids, OBJ became president of Nigeria again. Now can you please tell me how the youth are the future leaders of tomorrow?”

I could never argue with him though with his facts, but I digress. Out of the multitude of young Nigerian artists out there, we picked the best five so without further ado, here are the top 5 (and their most recent singles):

1. Mo’Cheddah – See Me

It’s not because of common courtesy, “ladies first”, that Modupe Oreoluwa Oyeyemi is number one on this top 5. They may say “what a man can do, a woman can do better” but Mo’Cheddah is just living proof of it. She’s the official first lady of today’s countdown not because I like her or have a crush on her but because amongst this list, she’s the most versatile and all-round well-branded artist with her ability to both rap and sing… well. “See Me” is a super catchy and entertaining song. Its video was directed by Clarence Peters.

2. Wizkid – Pakurumo

Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun is a highly talented artist; he is the one responsible for putting the word, “lowkey” into everyday Nigerian lingo. He is just one of those people who everyone knows once he’s on a track, the song is a hit. “Pakurumo” was most people’s favourite song off his “Superstar” album. Its video was directed by Clarence Peters and Banky W.

3. Davido – Dami Duro

With his hits “Back When” and “Dami Duro” and a few features, David Adedeji Adeleke seems to be taking over this year. Just when non-yorubas were just learning what “manogere” meant, Davido hit us “Dami Duro” and has been touring everywhere that there is land. The “Dami Duro” video was directed by Clarence Peters.

4. Skales – Mukulu

Raoul John Njeng-Njeng had been on hold from the music industry until he finished school. But, as soon as he stepped out, he has been hitting us with freestyles and songs to prove his worth and rightful place at the apex of Nigerian superstars. “Mukulu” has been rocking airwaves since its debut. Its video was directed by Clarence Peters.

5. Yung 6ix – Oh My Gosh

Onome Onokohwomo took his place in the industry seemingly by force. Since his “Oleku” remix that brought him his initial popularity till his signing with Storm 360, Yung6ix has not relented in his efforts to keep churning out songs that we love and proving his Hip-Hop credibility. “Oh My Gosh” is one of those songs that prove the rapper’s prowess with punchlines off his “Green Light Green” mixtape. Its video was directed by Bobby Boulders.

Is it just me or was Clarence Peters like a trending topic in our countdown? Well, there you have it BNM Friday Top Five: Young Nigeria. Here’s a recap:

1. Mo’Cheddah – See Me

2. Wizkid – Pakurumo

3. Davido – Dami Duro

4. Skales – Mukulu

5. Yung 6ix – Oh My Gosh

So, with all that said, I’ll be right here waiting for you next week; and as I always say vivere senza rimpianti” (to live without regrets). Have a great day.

Photo Credits: campusheathq.com | sheifunmi.net | gidigroove.ning.com | olamildentertainment.com | questionmarkmag.com | 360nobs.com

66 Comments on BN Music Friday Top 5: Young Nigeria
  • sib February 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm

davido shuld be on top joorr…dis is cheating ….davido NO 1

• TaMa February 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm

nice one ….. i think 8 out of every Nigerian Music vidoes are directed by Clarence..

P.S pls what does “manogere” mean?
    am Yoruba but i cant figure it out

• rogotigi February 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm

As in….I cudnt help but notice d ‘Clarence Peters’ all over… Kudos to him, his works speak for him!!!

• vicky February 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm
  • eesha February 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm

manogere means dont dull

• bebe February 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm

oh my god that girl in young six video is she naked? transparent tights or what? she just exposed her stuff

• this_is_crap February 24, 2012 at 2:12 pm

this is crap. Whatever happened 2 Mistah Cole presents

• obi Nwanchukwu February 24, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I was about to ask the same thing. They got our appetite up with the introduction of that compilation and then suddenly stopped it. In my opinion, these your weekly compilation isn’t as good as that one because this is just one persons view

• lol February 24, 2012 at 2:32 pm

plz wat is mo chedda doing in d d 1st place..plz put wizkid..and i still find her voice annoying

• Barbz February 24, 2012 at 2:34 pm

David O should be on top abeg……Pakurumo of 1920

• Nneka Peters February 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm

yep for me no 5 – skales (just manage enter)
    no 4 – yung6ix
    no 3 – mo chedda
    no 2 – wizkid
    no 1- Davido

• Prajiro February 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm

U aree 2 correct.. dz how it shud be………

• Curtis Nwabela February 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm

ok i agree with davido and wizkid being on top but Yung6ix should have being the third , firstly because he’s not Yoruba and he’s video wasnt shot by clarence which makes him stand out from everyone else, then again everyone did the normal Nigerian routine song that could earn them a spot on this blog and yung6ix did RAP-HiP-Hop and made it to the list which is another outstanding factor ,how else can you define talent ? also listening to his song simply shows that from the above list it has the most content and from an A’n’R point of view the only reason i put him third is because it had fewer things to recite in the verses than Davido and Wizkid’s song. Wizkid is bigger than the list thou but i see Yung6ix and Davido going places and lastly i love this blog. Winks to Bella

• adesoye February 24, 2012 at 3:36 pm

seriously mocheddah is doing well and let’s be proud of her ladies.d list was well written

• Lola February 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm

am so happy for yung6ix you are truely making southerners proud we will always support you , and i know one day i will date you

• olanrewaju aka Lanshycole February 24, 2012 at 3:43 pm

4 me young 6ix should b number one followed by davido skales to follow den wiz kid mo-chedda u all are grate people…….I can wait to see yung 6ix davido sing together is gonna b vry cwezyyyyyyyy…..love dis bolgs bella nija kudos to u guys peace out lanshycole say so boooooooooooom#

• Personal tuvs February 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Mo & Whiskey looks younger in the pics

• christy February 24, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I wil alws luv mo cheddah,she s cute nd talented,luv her unigue voice,I jst wonda y sum one wil say her voic s annoyin? Seriously I dnt get it.aside Asa nd Nneka as n female artst she s my best.I cal her naija rihanna

• onyinye etie February 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Yung6ix is so far gone.. He should be on top…………

• Prajiro February 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm

disagree with dat, mine

• Prajiro February 24, 2012 at 4:09 pm

well, 4 me its
    no 5 – skales (just manage enter)
    no 4 – wizkid
    no 3 – yung6ix
    no 2 – mo chedda
    no 1- Davido

• annie February 24, 2012 at 5:57 pm

#GBAM na mannge o cos EVA ALORDIAH should have been dere

• Avoseh aka Lil Breezy February 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Ma 1st is ma bro YUNG 6ix,followed by Davido,followed by Wizkid and any other!!!!!!

• Dr. precel February 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm

• Dr. precel February 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm

And even if I shorten dis list, yung6ix will remain my no.1…..our own southern rap king who will soon perform in front of millions, I mean every race……yung6ix is one of d brightest stars

• jaffizy February 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm

My nigga 6ix should be number 1,he is the rap future in 9ja,keep doing ur thing bro

• Tink jewellery February 24, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I disagree with this list. Wizkid should be 1st on this list then, davido, mo-chedda, skales then Yung 6ix.

• osagie jerry February 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Haba! With all dose #punchlines .For me I think yung6ix aka naija carter shld be on top *shikena*…

• @mexzy February 24, 2012 at 4:35 pm

6ix is yung nd hot..any track he gets in he kills ..seriously we are. Lokin at. D best up comin rapper. In 6ix a

• @mexzy February 24, 2012 at 4:38 pm

6ix is yung nd hot..any track he gets in he kills ..seriously we are. Lokin at. D best up comin rapper. In 6ix .. Lil wizzy in 9ja (yung 6ix)

• RoLi Thompson February 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Yungsix shuld be No1 infact he is no1 cos hes d ONLY real,gud,tight.youngest,cutest,etc. Rapper right now in d industry#seriousFact# ..thumbs up 2 u six fanks 4 makin us proud..kudos 2 yal 2 davido wizzy mo cheda skales yall doin great

• clinton carter benson February 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm

6ix is meant to be ontop….just saying

• Grace February 24, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Obviously Yungsix’s family members are all over this post. I think the list is accurate!

• chief agambi February 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm

My broda 6ix is my number one and always my number one

• Muffylizo One Million February 24, 2012 at 5:23 pm

First of all I gotta give respect to all the nominees cuz they’re all young, gifted and talented mofos…. Its not an easy feat, but without much further adoo my top 3 (irrespective of heirachy order) goes to any of these 3 niggaz—» yung6ix, davido, wizkid… To me their music stands out beyond the rest, yung6ix being my personal favorite. I can imagine all 3 of ‘em spittin’ onna beat, intant hit!

• Iyosi February 24, 2012 at 5:28 pm

@ Curtis, what does this have to do with being Yoruba or Igbo, this is not a quota system.

• eso February 24, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Its Yung6ix all the way!!!!!!!! South shout to my bruv…..”They say lime is bitter, I say not with the lights” yung 9ja carter 6ix!

• Spawntanios February 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Well we all know where the future or our rap is heading and its for the Yung.
    So for me it YUNG 6ix up in thissssss…….

• UsaveOne February 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Am going for Mo’Cheddah any day any time. Give it up for the gurl, she is 10/10
    Check..

• DJ PHAT February 24, 2012 at 6:52 pm

‎​ L♥√ع young 6ix. He is a ‎​G̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡D̶̲̥̅ RAP

• @yungboyflip February 24, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Ya shud know yung6ix is a legend in d fucking making, Its KASH KAMP baby n we always sitting on top… Vote yung6ix for numero un, that’s number one by d way..if the cheque aint gat 1,2,3 comas then please 4 get them.. Who says that??? 6ix iz just crazily talented in every possible way.

• @yungboyflip February 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Elevating from the bottom, same place where the rest be, now they find me at d top above where the best be, your choice don’t count here, na God na select me, I fear God not man just reespect HIM.. @yung6ix flow

• lalicious February 24, 2012 at 7:17 pm

yung6ix is my no 1…………..nd davido as my no 5

• Arab style Apeh February 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm

6ix should be ontop of the list jor…..isn’t easy to come out of waffigi 2 lasgidi…

• vwedz February 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Well for me young6ix is doing his thing and his doing it well,upcoming but one day he’ll be where he want to be.young6ix got the flow a different way of rap,am an artist as well and I’ll always respect young6ix based on who he be we rep south south.
    Young6ix you’re number one go get em

• Me February 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm

so For me only yung6ix stands out! 1stly for being able to make this list via the hardest route to A-list in the 9ja music industry! And taking to mind where he hails from! And his tribe! I say only TRUE talent Could’ve Landed the Nigga where He Is! So yung6ix 1, the rest can be any!!! #gbam

• mereal February 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Dey are all gr8 artistes….but i feel dis yung 6ix sha…..dis ma 1st tym of hearing his song and i like! But all d same, i would av loved it arranged in dis order:
    no5= Skales
    no4=Mo’Cheda
    no3=yung 6ix
    no2= Davido
    no1= Wizzy

• ayo2cute February 25, 2012 at 2:45 am

Well, no one is perfect and a big south shout 2 BNM. I really dnt see mo’chedda on top sha, it shld b #1 skales cos he’s tite and has and believe me u, he has don it b4 and mukulu jst rocks. 60 comes in #2 cos he’s new and also tite. #3 wizkid, big name but does songs are jst hoter. #4 davido. He’s hot and I’ll like 2c him do it again. But speaking of d hotest yung nigerians, I really tot brimo shld ave been in d list cos he’s jst d best his type but well, its all good. Signout

• iJha¥ne February 25, 2012 at 3:27 am

This comments are hilarious tho’. My guess is, these 5 have been picked cus they are all young n obviously talented. Personally its hard 4 me 2 rate this cus I listen to/enjoy every 1 of this songs buh I dnt think the rating is fair. See me, pakurumo, dami duro and mukulu I’d say belong 2 d same category, buh der’s definitely gonna be a misjudgment wen u’re trying 2 rate a rap music filled wiv punchlines 4 lyrical minds (oh my gosh) with a song that’s basically about the beats. For me I feel Yung6ix has a raw talent, I mean he can make a music without the beats, let’s imagine wat d content of the other songs will be wen d beat is shut out, meanwhile Davido on the other hand has the craziest beats ever(my opinion), Wizkid (whiskey according 2 Funke Akindele) just has a way of makin any1/every1 love every music he’s on, dunno how he does dat. Nonetheless, I love Mo’Cheddah n Skales. Just saying its not a fair grounds 4 rating. However I’d love 2 see Yung6ix and davido on a track, that’ll be the height of it mehhn!

• This Is Lucento February 25, 2012 at 6:30 am

Any day any time, our own yung6ix delivers. most times charts and numbers are irrelevant, as long as ur getting satisfaction from your what u hear. kudos to bella naija. Nice line up doh, but 6ix is all i see. Its LucentoMedia up in this

• drflezzy February 25, 2012 at 8:25 am

Africa all the way 9ja all the way south south all the way WCC all the way yung 6ix all the way…

• general boss February 25, 2012 at 8:57 am

Yung6ix should b on top come on guyz dis guy is so hot he can even make d sun sweat davido kudos to u brov

• jennifer February 25, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Teamyung6ix all the way..his got talent!!!!!!!!

• miss serious February 25, 2012 at 9:05 pm

These r all realy great talents but there r also other good ones out there who are understated. I hope this platform gives them a good opportunity for the right exposure. Watch out for falz,dude is hilarious and talented

• lisa February 25, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I don’t know y ppl r taking da list so personal…i think da list is based on who came out first, you guys have to remember dat mo cheddah has been out since 08, she was featured on wonberi by knighthouse ft sauce kid…….yung6ix is last on da list bcos his still very fresh in da game and besides havent u guys ever heard that ladies come first????

• soak February 26, 2012 at 5:09 am

This aint a category fo yung6ix, his music is a lot deeper dan d rest of them. Y’all shld hav d top 6ix category! WiZkid, davido, mochedda, Skales uR music is tyt! Buh am a fan of punchlines, 6ix is DEFinitely a standout.

• jmayaki February 26, 2012 at 5:54 am

for me yung six shld be 1st, any other can follow. his lyrics r tight!!!!!!!!!

• Kissmy ass February 27, 2012 at 5:32 am

Ibo or Yoruba or hausa we all from naija. I love yung six but yo pple are taking dis top 5 thing personal ooo like it dia life at least person wey do the count down na ibo. So stop complaining about Yoruba or u love him cose he’s ibo like he will pay ur bills.

• Bianca February 29, 2012 at 8:17 am

Dang, yung six got his whole village all up in here. He’s a new artist, and has a bright future ahead of him.
    The list is so right. Mo cheddah is my girl, she got the swag, it might be annoying to some people but I like it. Keep representing for us girls.

• ojo March 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm

nic one

• Queen April 20, 2012 at 8:31 am

No i didn’t believe this,i hrd a song entitled ‘my name’ by noc.z dat song makes me like the type of music i did want in Nigeria.That guy deserves the best among those mentioned.

• Yung mexzy October 19, 2012 at 11:07 am