Dear Dangote, I Will Be Your Driver For 500K

Last week, there was a fair bit of buzz  in Nigeria. Not about politics, our economy or even Boko Haram. This buzz has to do with drivers and five hundred thousand Naira. In case you haven’t heard about it, (which would be surprising with the furore about the matter), Alhaji Aliko Dangote is allegedly looking for drivers for the Dangote Group of companies. The salary? N500k. The requirements? Applicants must be graduates.

For obvious reasons, the whole matter has taken the Nigerian social media circuit by storm. Opinions are sharply divided as to whether this is a positive action or an insult to everyone who has passed through a University.

I’ve been reviewing the matter since the hubbub started and I don’t think it’s such a bad thing. Permit me to share my reasons with you.

1.  Alhaji Dangote is neither a social activist nor the President of Nigeria. He is not the Minister of Labour and Productivity. He is a business man. His decision making process therefore, will be what’s best for his company. Why am I saying this?  A lot of people seem to think that he is undermining the education sector or providing a short term solution to a long term problem. The truth is, it’s not really his business whether our educational system is good or poor. His first and main priority is his bottom line. We need to put things in the proper perspective. He is a highly significant figure in Nigeria, but he is first and foremost, the chairman of a business conglomerate – that is his career, and his first priority. It’s a bit unfair to condemn his actions in the light of our current educational and economic situation.
  2. For Alhaji Dangote to be specifically requesting graduates, it’s quite possible that there is a skill set that he feels is lacking in non-graduates. Perhaps he is importing a range of GPS SatNav enabled trucks that plot their own route from factory to depot and he needs drivers that can use the technology effectively, or maybe he wants drivers that can write and defend productivity reports. I have no idea. What seems clear to me however is that he feels for some reason that graduates will better carry out his expectations.
  3. 500k!!! I’m sorry, I’m really sorry if I sound materialistic, but in a country where most entry level graduates earn less than 50, 000, five hundred thousand Naira is a lot of money. When I started work after my NYSC, my monthly salary was Twenty Thousand Naira. Five hundred thousand Naira will give some lucky young people the opportunity to work and plan for their future without overly fighting to make ends meet. Smart saving practices could help you to save for your Masters, prepare for the business of your dreams or even buy a plot of land.
  4. In many ways, it is a stepping stone. The overall impression seems to be that there is no future in driving a truck. But working in Dangote Industries might give some the opportunity to manoeuvre a lateral change into a department in the company more suited to their educational qualifications and future plans. It gives you a valuable insight into the running of one of the the biggest companies in Africa, and might even help you to gain a better knowledge of business strategies for use in your own business. It’s not the job in itself; it’s what you can make it do for you.
  5. One of the biggest complaints about our educational system is the un-employability (if there is such a word) of our graduates. The driving job is a skill based job, meaning that whether you studied Zoology or Engineering, you have the same chance at doing well as any other person. You can build or display your strategic, planning and logistical skills in a job like this. This job has nothing to do with whether your lecturer came to class or not, it is not affected by how many strikes your school went on, or even if your University was accredited. What it is however, is an honest display of your ability and willingness to learn.
  6. Our educational system is in a shambles. There are so many graduates who graduate from school with not much more knowledge of their chosen course of study than they had when they started learning. We have placed so much emphasis on the paper that we forget that education is supposed to give us the skills to function in the work force. The number of unemployable graduates proves that this is not happening. This is a job people, in an economy where the average youth is unemployed or underemployed, we’re turning down a perfectly good job due to an over inflated sense of the value of our qualifications.

Finally, isn’t there supposed to be dignity in labour? When did driving become something only unschooled people could do? Do we honestly think that the guy who drives President Obama is a secondary school graduate with no better options? I grew up believing that it was my responsibility to do my best in every job I encountered, working hard and keeping an eye out for better opportunities. This mindset that “there are certain jobs I cannot do”; when the jobs in question are honest well paying jobs, and when there seem to be 5,000 graduates for every available position confuses me. If you had to choose between being unemployed or earning a good wage as a Dangote driver, would you rather stay at home?

I’m not sure what Alhaji Dangote’s plans for his new drivers are, but it seems to me that this is a job with a highly competitive salary and the potential to make highly advantageous career choices. Before we start turning our noses down at the thought of “wasting” our 4 – 8 years of education to become “mere” drivers, let’s consider the positive implications of this job. Imagine a country where our plumbers, mechanics and yes, drivers are actually educated and well trained individuals with a strong understanding of the mechanics and theories of their professions. Wouldn’t it automatically ensure a rise in our expectations of such people, leading to a rise in the quality of their work? I would like to think so.The Dangote vacancies are not a tragedy. They have much less to do with our current educational system than we think. In my opinion, it’s an opportunity for 2,000 very driven and ambitious young men and hopefully women, to get a jump-start towards creating a different type of future for themselves.

93 Comments on Dear Dangote, I Will Be Your Driver For 500K
  • LPS August 6, 2012 at 7:12 am
  • wendu August 6, 2012 at 7:30 am

i agree with you

• Adesanya Daniel August 6, 2012 at 7:47 am

Right on point guy.

• Layo August 6, 2012 at 7:48 am

This is some serious news, don’t even know what to say but i know one thing for sure Dangote’s Company…Dangote’s way of running it..He doesn’t owe anybody any explanation plus am sure a ton of people r gonna fight for this job.

• cynthia August 6, 2012 at 7:49 am

First and foremost..thank u Alhaji Dangote for creating employment.he has offered shell and chevron workers salary for you to come and drive his trucks in a country he is not the president and someone has the nerve to criticize.please sir do u need female drivers?..500k jobs u dnt see everyday

• kingsley August 6, 2012 at 7:55 am

Hmmm, me i was a big critic of this employment opportunity by Dangote. However, after reading this your write up, am inclined to have a rethink. . . but wait o, no one ever mentioned the 500k payout, i doubt thats true. . . Its too expensive for a truck driver (even the OIL COMPANIES don’t pay exclusive drivers that high)

• iceking August 6, 2012 at 7:58 am

Well said…………I also share ur view,atimes its not that type of job that matters,but what are U able to make out of it.Many goes to the office 6 days a week,and 24 days a month as executive workers,yet nothing to show for it as an achieved savings at the end of the calender year.Isn’t it better to work as a driver with a multi-national such as dangote Groups,and after 5 years move on with the money U’ve saved to start ur own choice of business?……….Many are even complaining,that ur Uncle or aunty in overseas U look up to for help after first degree,do U know what he/she does there to earn a living?………..I think its high time we reason sharply and tap oppurtunities around us…….being conservative,and believing only in status quo will not bring the change we want.

• Tosin August 6, 2012 at 8:05 am

I don’t believe this posting sha. 500k job in Nigeria? You wan cause riot be that.

• kay August 6, 2012 at 8:51 am

question pls.. 5ook annually or monthly cos i did’nt see dat specified

• Concerned Native August 6, 2012 at 8:52 am

my parents alays told me that a hungry man has no pride or ego, and the truth is that most graduates are hungry and since dangote is willing to pay you more than 10X what you would make in a job that u see as worth you degree then na you sabiooo. I already told my brother who graduated for two years now no job to go apply. dangote is setting a new competitive salary for nigerians as a whole and imagine you might be able to move up in his company. And I agree with the poster here, dangote has a reason why he is requesting a graduate, because some drivers may need to checklist regarding the pickups they make and if they cannot read properly or understand proper english and gets dooped dangote is the one that looses out. Plus in the USA drivers of major companies usually have standard education,some maybe not college, but some got training. But if you drive trucks like armored ones for transporting money and important goods, you butt better be college eduacted, have a squeaky clean background and be street smart. So please people should not come here saying dangote is trying to insult graduates, and if most say the reality is that some of these graduates might have cheated or paid professors for grade…seriously. Now my question is,is it 500knaira per year salary or per month, because if its per month these drivers will be making more than most teachers in the usa, with higher educational status. So at the end of the day, Dangote is actually lifting yall up, not bringing you down.

• olasunkanmi August 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

Still find it hard to believe,500k 4 ordinary driver.can’t wait to c d end of dis drama

• zeella August 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

My take on the issue, Jokes! Do you really think Dangote would count out 500k to pay to drivers? A business man like Dangote looking to maximize profit, count out 500k for every graduate driver? Puh-lease! I know alot of people that work for Dangote group and their salaries are well….not fantastic!

• kaffy August 6, 2012 at 8:53 am

Well said!
    for 500k abeg dangote do u want female drivers?

• christy August 6, 2012 at 8:57 am

That too huge amount!

• Marian Ejechi August 6, 2012 at 9:08 am

To me I think its a really good offer,since d federal government has refused to give jobs to graduates,as for those thinking its an insult instead of sitting @home after. Sch no job please seize this opportunity,500k isn’t a small cash,lives can be changed

• NellieDiva August 6, 2012 at 9:10 am

Ermm, how sure are we that it is 500k? I dont fnk many people (Yours truly included) will mind that kinda pay whether na driver or na househelp

• O Y August 6, 2012 at 9:22 am

The writer is on POINT,Arit couldnt have said it better.there are so many unemployed graduates out there and the job is an honest job with a mouth watering salary(if its true though, cos i find that hard to believe). who decides these things anyway? i mean who determines what is appropriate as a job for a graduate and for any other person for that matter!as long as you are not breaking any law, and you are not hurting anyone then by all means take whatever job you can find as long as its an HONEST job,it beats being idle!

• Mz Socially Awkward... August 6, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Nigerians, that’s who. Some people will rather do credit scams, lay on their backs for money, or “borrow” cash 24/7 than take an honest job.

Even if Dangote’s paying 500K per annum, I’m telling you that’s more than what I earned when I practised law in Nigeria – 25K per month. No joke. Thanks to living in my parents’ house and getting a car from them, I only needed money for petrol/day-to-day expenses. And who am I kidding, the parentals were still dropping cash on the side for hefty expenses like fixing said car they already gave me….

So a professional job in Nigeria isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. Even with your multi-national companies, I’ve seen the salaries they offer to professionals – 3.5million naira per annum? To live in Lagos (plus let me not even go down the path of the oyibo man doing the same job as you in the same Nigeria but getting 5x your salary & OTHER ALLOWANCES because that could take all day)??? How much is your damn rent ? And that’s what a driver’s job in the UK, pays – 3.5million naira = £14,000 per annum. So it’s always relative… although I suppose everyone’s got individual career motivations to consider …

• Sols August 6, 2012 at 9:38 am

Don#t mind the complainants, is it not Nigeria graduates, even Phd holders working for 8pounds per hour in Jand, washing plates, cleaning flours and even serving in restaurants. But the ones that ve a sense are using the tough period as a stepping stone to achieve another step or greatness. Even if you are shy, will anyone see u if u wear facecap and ur usual ´´24hrs sunshades´´ or who will complain when u later make so much of it. pls o, incase u did niot calculate well…it is 6million naira per year plus access to how to get ur break in business if you have God on your side.

• Prince Simeon August 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

Abeg…let me go and dust my certificate joor! Arit, your head is there!!

• Love August 6, 2012 at 9:42 am

500k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sarafina August 6, 2012 at 9:45 am

Good move, I only hope Dangote will actually pay this amount of money.Cos most of these private orgs promise very fat packages but never keep to their promises. Its either they are not paying on time, or the end up not paying the advertised amount as a whole…..You hear of staff being owed 6months salaries and all……..A close friend of mine experienced this is Dangote’s Lagos sugar company while she worked there few yrs ago, she was always owed for so many months………..

• tbn August 6, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Very true Sarafina, it is one thing to promise to pay 500k, and it is another thing to actually go through with fulfilling that promise. I also know that a lot of private companies don’t pay workers salaries for months, when the salary is not even up to 100k per month, how much more when its 500k especially for drivers how much will the higher cadre of workers be paid? Lets watch and see what comes out of this though. Good analysis though Arit…

• Ginika August 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

Infact, I will wash his car, walk his dog and drive his car any day for that amount with my MSc. You know why??? Because I want to learn.

• dee August 6, 2012 at 9:50 am

i strongly doubt its 500k infact i’m sure its not.. don’t know where BN got that information from. If you know dangote firms well, you’ll know that’s not even possible.
    plus if he says he needs graduates, he probably has a good reason.

• ti August 6, 2012 at 9:52 am

Please is it monthly or annually

• Fulani hair August 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Even is its annual. Its better than nothing. Over 50% of our youth are unemployed. Some ‘i’m-a-graduate’ will sit home broke because of pride. Better educated drivers than those crass, frustrated/non-stop honking/noise polluting bus drivers that dominate our streets.

• Precious o August 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

exactly! dats wat we need to find out jare

• missA August 6, 2012 at 9:56 am

The condescending attitude we place on certain things stops us a society from advancing. If you do not feel this position is for you, why thrash it?! As undergraduates and graduates studying in other countries outside of Nigeria, many of us take on menial jobs to augment our Living allowances, some even serve as Security guards, Valets etc, but come back to Nigeria and they condescend to same jobs because the society we belong in is materialistic. It irks me to hear people thrash this job opportunity, if you dont want it, some one else does, lets use our heads for once. kmt!

• Gold August 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

The man is free to set teh criteria he wants. Afetrall it’s his money and not ours. However i agree with the writer, isn’t it better to be busy at somethg constructive than staying at home waiting for a “better option”?? For those who are jobless, i advice you apply and if you’re shortlisted, start the job whime u search elsewhere for somethg more “befitting”

• Gyann August 6, 2012 at 10:34 am

U cant call this insult on graduates with the amount of money in question; no u cant oh. are u saying a graduate does not deserve that amount of money, no mater what the job entails (at least so far its legal)?
    And just like the writer pointed out, I believe there’s a little more to this than just moving a car from one station to another. I think he would be expected to operate some devices and this will need someone who is qualified/learned. I sincerely wudda called it an insult if the pay was “chicken change”

• ofilispeaks August 6, 2012 at 10:43 am

Great write up…different angle to consider. I like.

• pynk August 6, 2012 at 10:58 am

Yall are over-reaching. It is not 500k per month. It is annual. No one is paying a driver N6million per year, that is mid manager level at many corporate establishments.

That aside, Dangote hasnt put a gun to anyone’s head to accept the offer. For graduates that are tired of sitting at home, it is an opportunity to really go out and see what Nigeria has on offer. I am sure there will be promotions in line for those who do well on the job. In addition truck driving is part of a logistics chain, those that are able to understand it realise there are many opportunities that will arise if these folks open their eyes. No man became president in a day, sometimes it takes ridiculously small steps to get anywhere.

Nigerian graduates seem to get anywhere between 1.5 million and 3 million to wear suit and tie and struggle in offices. SO this opportunity isnt so bad, considering they will probably dress down, liase with storage facilities, meet with merchants and might be able to transact their own supply businesses on the side – “not with dangote’s trucks now”. But there might be opportunities such as arranging honey transportation etc for their side businesses.

LIFE IS ALL WHAT WE MAKE IT! its not about where you start, but how you value your entire journey.

• Gee daY August 6, 2012 at 11:02 am

Dangote is a nuisance for putting this out. a real twerp!

• Nneka August 8, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Reallllyy? And how many job opportunities have YOU created in your lifetime again?

Nigeriannnnnns. We need to learn to spend less time condemning people’s ‘small’ contributions to whatever cause. While you are brushing your darn brazillian locks and cooking up your next yahoo yahoo runs, ask yourself: “How am I making the world or (at the very least) my immediate environment better?

Dangote build his business from scratch: no rich dad inheritance or what not. Get off your butts, leave your pride at home and apply for this job, especially if you’ve been job-hunting for over one year. If you show up to ork every day and dress for where you are going NOT where you are now,,, if you speak intelligently seek to know more than is required of the goods you are transporting… if you always try to find out about other opportunities available within the Dangote Enterprise while leveraging on your acquired skill set, YOU WILL MOVE UP. Simple and short. But ofcourse, you read the first couple of comments insulting Dangote and think this is rubbish. God help you. If life throws lemons at you, yank out your blender and make some lemonade people! Stop comparing yourself with your former classmate at Zenith bank ( who probably posted the comment insulting Dangote simply because they cannot relate). “The only thing worse than failure is not even trying at all”

Get wisdon (Nigerians)! And with that get understanding!

• AmberSchultz August 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm

You couldn’t have said it any better.

• new bride August 6, 2012 at 11:07 am

It’s probably 500k per annum and even at that, it is still more than what some graduates earn! Go and ask the graduates who roam the streets of Lagos selling insurance and they’ll tell you that they earn 30k or less every month.
    When there are tons of ‘graduates’ who’ve been sitting at home for year without work, you want people to complain about 500k per annum. Fine, not everyone went to university with the hopes of graduating and becoming a driver, but as they say, a beggar is not a chooser!

• buchi August 6, 2012 at 11:08 am

my people it cld be for real. A govt parastatal in abj pays 120k/month as starting salary to drivers. I don’t even earn that much yet :-(

• NELLIEDIVA August 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Awww, sowie dear. I feel ur pain ;)

• demmy August 6, 2012 at 11:22 am

well said …………………..God bless dangote…….

• saphyah August 6, 2012 at 11:33 am

@ Sols correct. Anyways, whether its 500k or less, the point is Dangote is giving back to the community and he’s not forcing anyone to take the job either….. @ Ginika sharp girl.

• honeymix August 6, 2012 at 11:39 am

Oh! My own opinion is dat I don’t rily fink he is recruiting them as drivers.I just fink he wants 2 use another tactics in recruiting them.buh it won’t be bad if some1 sud apply.just swallow d pride and do it.buh moreso,realistically ow many drivers does he want to be paying 500k a mth,so ow much does his workers rily earn.I doubt that 500k ish jor.buh I rily fink he is recruiting this graduates 4 anoda job specifically.if he had said that he needs graduate 4 specific positions,do u know ow many millions of pple wud apply,both those dat even already av ph.d and dos dat don’t.well if only I cud drive a truck I wud av applied.

• NELLIEDIVA August 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Errm, he said no experience needed so u can still apply :D

• Bewi August 7, 2012 at 3:43 am

Please stop writing like a retard.What is “Fink”?

• esan August 6, 2012 at 11:43 am

Drivers to become one of the highest paid employees in Nigeria…wont be surprise to find out that there’s already an increase for driving lessons now sef. http://bit.ly/NdUUcw

• omosho August 6, 2012 at 11:47 am

pls it the pay 500k per month or per annum, pls kindly clerify

• 2blunt August 6, 2012 at 12:02 pm

guy, leave d mata, dangle no go pay 500k for driver, even if na phd d person get, na business man him be naaa, haba pple!

• Sassy August 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm

My questions: 1) what value would a graduate be adding to a driving job; with his four year of college degree, that a non-graduate is clearly missing? 2) What would be a trail of career build up? – If you present your resume to me with your major experience being a driver for a non-driver job position. You won’t even be considered, as i do not see how a driving experience could add value to any business or other professional jobs. 3) Bella Naija, kindly get your facts right, a manager in Dangote earns approx. N200k per month, how will they now pay a driver N500k per month? Lastly tweak it the way you want it, but this so called job opportunity is demeaning, not only to the individual who went through four years of college, but to the Nigerian education system.

• Nisa August 6, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Dangote can afford to pay his drivers 500k…annually. That boils down to a little more than 41k monthly (if the 500k is the net annual salary), which is about twice what the average truck driver earns and in the range of what govt pays entry-level…maybe more, maybe less.

• Sam August 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm

N500,000 for a monthh or a year? If its for a month even a year, I see no reason anyone should hesitate.

• Yinny August 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm

It’s per annum and after tax it can’t be more than 35k per month which is the usual coy drivers’ salary in Nigeria. Even a manager in any arm of Dangote group isn’t earning 500k monthly.

• saphyah August 6, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Dangote Group to recruit 2,000 into Drivers Academy

In line with its policy to create opportunities for gainful employment for jobless youths in the country, Dangote Group is set to recruit about 2,000 Nigerians into its Academy to fill its transport division’s needs.

The scheme which will revolutionalize the road transport sub-sector of the economy is designed to improve the professionalism in the transport division of Dangote Industries Limited by engaging graduates and other educated Nigerians as drivers after months of training.

The recruitment, which will be conducted by Dangote Academy, a centre of excellence for talent development within Dangote Group, will see physically fit graduates in several disciplines being shortlisted for the training to be jointed undertaken by various agencies dealing with road transportation.

According to the Group’s spokesman Tony Chiejina, “the Academy seeks to provide the talent pipeline for the Group while filling the industrial skill-gap in Nigeria. As a result, the Academy just initiated a project called, ‘The Drivers Academy’ which aims at recruiting and training 2,000 Nigerian graduates to become professional heavy-duty vehicle drivers for the newly established Super Fleet of the Group.

“It is hoped that this initiative will assist to uplift the operating standards in road transport industry, promote entrepreneurship and open up various career opportunities.”

• Mariam August 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Like my brother(biological) said and I feel inclined to agree with him, if you want to take the opportunity of working with Dangote go ahead however if you have another better option with more pay then it is your decision to focus on that and let other people have opportunities as well. I applaud Dangote, seeing as he is the only person who has considered the employment situation in Nigeria.

• Sarah August 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Nigerians and their ‘BIG MAN’ mentality. So, because you have a University degree, you cannot work as a driver. In the UK, Nigerian graduates work as cleaners, traffic wardens, train drivers, bus drivers, etc., the jobs that are regarded as low paid. Its because of this backward attitude that there are so many ‘RUNS’ girls and armed robbers in this country.

• Princess of Zion August 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm

It is no graduate’s dream to become a driver but in a country where good jobs are scare, I think it is definitely better than nothing. You can certainly save to start up a business or as a graduate, work your way up the company.

• Anny August 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm

500K monthly or annually. If is annually then what’s the fuss about!!

• Lulu August 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Dangote didnt get to where he is now, by not being a smart business man. BN, please clarify well, and dont add to the rumour mongering. BN is supposed to have class abeg, befroe you turn to the 9ja Daily Mail. It is 500K per annum. Haba. My husband is mid level management, and his salary is some thousands shy of 500K, so please, lets not get ourselves hot and bothered. Even 500K per annum is great for a driver.

• blaize August 6, 2012 at 2:27 pm

500k?????? PLEASE WHERE CAN I APPLY?

• nich August 6, 2012 at 2:28 pm

except you came to the united states as a nurse or with a work visa u must be washing dishes for atleast 4yrs………….truck driving is so lucrative in america that if u can do it….u will be making so much money every month…………………..it is only people with pride that can refuse such opportunities……….

• Chattyzee August 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I have to say I have mixed feelings about this one …. both good and bad….

• jane August 6, 2012 at 2:53 pm

my dear,you are right. If u see the kind qualification they have to drive truck or even greyhound in canada..u go fear now..no be joke o. I just think that nigeria regards some professions as useless,which is wrong. I applaud dangote for wanting to have them well paid..it is indeed a blessing. I definitely agree that educated people will do a better job at not only following safety precautions but can better keep track of inventory(for example) than uneducated people.

• funsho August 6, 2012 at 3:18 pm

This is too good to be true

• cathy August 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm

too much talk talk jare, abeg i want work oh lol

• femi August 6, 2012 at 4:09 pm

How do you apply for d job please

• adey August 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm

If u guys refuse to try your luck now, it will amaze you that by the end of the recruitment process UK/International graduate will be 75% of the selected candidate.
    They have started looking back for something that will give them soft-landing/integrate them back into the Nigeria system, for those that are not ready to become illegal immigrant. BETTER ACT FASTTTTTTTT.
    £2000.00 NO BE SMALL THING OOOOO

• ooooyesshedid! August 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Pls stop deceiving yourself how much does Dangote staff make a month, He should start paying his staff that before this first timer drivers. … This issue is not the issue of 500g or not, You don’t need a degree to drive a big machine Haba, don’t other countries have heavy duty drivers. Its is training you need, to do this job. Lets just call it what it is this man is taking advantage of the 40% unemployment rate in Nigeria…

• klaw August 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm

dangote cant pay drivers 500k a month .bcuz thats 6m p/a and x 2000 people.=1.2billion as overhead on drivers salary alone .hell no…(even if he stole to start the business).500k/12 seems more realistic .thats about 40k monthly..(+/- perks if u lucky)…..if u dont v a job its worth considering cuz like ma people always say ..@all<@all na im bad pass/or na whinch…

• irokoroots August 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Honestly, I feel the factors anyone should considering before taking the job should be the pay and the amount of miles he/she would drive daily. 5000 trucks seems a bit excessive for hauling cement or whatever else it is Dangote makes. I would assume he plans to branch into another market, say logistics. I personally don’t think Nigerian roads are safe enough but people still drive on them. UPS is of the highest employers of Truck drivers in America and believe me they get paid well (I believe $65000/yr. Glassdoor.com) and I can bet that there are some university “graduates” doing that job. I doubt Dangote would offer perks like health or life insurance but then again who does in Naija. Anyway my point is if the salary is as real as the story claims and you don’t have a problem driving on Nigerian roads for long hours then this job could prove to be a great opportunity for you and your family. Being afraid to be called a “mere driver” by unemployed people whom you make more than shouldn’t be a deciding factor.

• brandigest August 6, 2012 at 6:42 pm

If this true, some managers would consider a career shift. “keep branding”. http://www.brandigest.wordpress.com

• tee August 6, 2012 at 6:44 pm

a lot of nigerians drive taxis and trucks abroad…kini big deal. thank you dangote for this job post.

• Aminu August 6, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I work with dangote n aliko ain’t gonna pay no driver 500k a month. Most likely a year.he has his personal driver already that has been with him for years n I doubt he’s planning to change him. So free theissue, it’s a hoax!

• ArabianPrincess August 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Is this the same Arit of ‘The Debaters’…Nice write up miss!

• KathyLiberman August 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm

This is the problem with Nigerians, everyone looks at jobs like : Driver, Housemaid, Gateman as an ordinary shitty job. Everyone thinks they are too good to do these kind of job or treats people with these kind of Job like crap. A lot of people call it an “ordinary job”. It’s not just an ordinary job, the people doing it are human beings and for some people the job is fulfilling. It’s sad when you see people stomping or disrespecting people with these kind of jobs. I can remember when I was 7 and still in Nigeria, we had this housekeeper and my mum treated her like the same way she would treat us her children, she sent the girl to school and provided her necessities. My mum always taught my siblings and I to respect people regardless of the job/occupation they are doing. No one knows what tomorrow brings. This same girl who was an housekeeper with us when I was 7 is now a Lawyer in New York. She works with a top notch Law Firm and whats funny and amazing is that when I went to New York on vacation last year she hosted me in her own house. What I am trying to say is the people that do these jobs are human beings and you should treat them well. Don’t think you are too good enough or better than them. I will leave you all with a quote “If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well”
    PEACE!

• sumptuous August 6, 2012 at 10:43 pm

@kay nd sols nobody will pay u 500k as a monthly salary, that’s if this story is true

• Nnamdi August 6, 2012 at 10:58 pm

He is not trying to insult anybody. it is part of his company’s social responsibility. Apart from creating job opportunities, he is trying to encourage education amongst the lower class. by crating incentives such as 500k salary, a lot of lower class citizens might consider getting an degree. This will of course foster economic growth by having an educated labor force.

• medina August 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Aliko is a shrewd businessman. i bet he’s realised that transportation is very important to the continued sustainance of his industry(ies). a trailer of cement loaded with 600bags is roughly 950k. if a driver embarks on 20trips in a month, they would have conveyed goods worth N19m. if he offers to pay 500k monthly, these drivers will not only safeguard the goods, they’ll drive carefully, take extra care of the vehicles and return to base promptly which in the longrun save costs for the Coy. The problem with us in Nigeria is that hungry monkeys are asked to watch over fresh bananas….. what do you expect? You find a Director in the Civil Service earning less than 250k monthly and you make him negotiate deals worth Billoins for the Country?????? the System itself triggers corruption or make honest citizens face undue tribulations. Let us start by paying our staff realistically.

• NNENNE August 7, 2012 at 1:11 am

Dear readers, all of those your relatives living overseas that you write a wish list what do you think they did at some point or are still doing?
    My uncle who was a medical doctor was washing dishes in a hotel.Another one with a masters degree was driving illegal cabs and running each time a police siren blew nearby. Today they are all distinguished gentlemen living in homes worth close to 700,000k!
    There comes a time, when one just need to put his/her feet in the door so as not let it shut on
    their face.
    There is dignity in labour. What matters is the end not the beginning. It pays to earn an honest living. Thank you Mr. Dangote.

• nnenne August 7, 2012 at 3:12 am

Thanks for this write up! Its about time we woke up to reality. Its about time we realise we need to pay the bills without begging rahter through honest paying job. Thank you for talking about the productivity reports because Nigerians need to understand that, thank you for telling them the job requirement may be more than just “drive oga back and forth”. Thanks for this as I will like to call it an expose! Let our people be more enlightened beyond the paper certificate. Everybody wants to own a posh car, home et al but you must have a starting point which includes humility. Humility, unfortunately islacking in Nigeria hence the outrage on the position, the requirements and the compensation. I will drive the guy for that amount of money albeit being a ldy!

• Missus August 7, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’ve read a lot of the comments, and some common thread is that Nigerians do such jobs abroad anyway. Not everyone does such jobs, and I dont mean that a driver’s job is demeaaning, bcos it is honest pay. A driver has more worth than a corrup politician. I just would like if some of us dont automatically assume that those who go abroad do menial jobs before they make it. A very very large population of people never do it, so, before you tar everyone with the same brush. Everyone has different opportunities in life. Some manage their money well during school time (ant not rich men’s children o, just very prudent), and are driven and focused, with a little bit of Grace they walk straight into jobs from university. I know so many, I cant even count. So to rubbish everyone and say, no be those kind jobs una dey do for obodo oyinbo, una come dey look your nose down at drivers is soooo wrong. If those are the expereinces of the people that you know, broaden your mind please. It irritates me, when I hear people make assumptions like that. We dont serve our countrymen well, if that is the kind of assumptions that we make. Not everyone too is illegal, and running from the police, or marrying oyinbo. Haba Nigerians

• TruthTeller August 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I’ve realized that most people are not adequately informed before writing. Anyone who calls people that drive rather operate heavy equipment/machinery “regular” or “ordinary” is an ignorant person. It’s very possible that each driver will be paid N500,000 /month, but they would probably run shifts and he won’t have to pay 2,000 drivers each month. In any case, he can afford to pay each driver that amount per month. Try finding out how much companies like Dantata and sawoe, Julius Berger,RCC e.t.c pay drivers that handle their heavy equipment/machinery. I learnt just 2weeks ago they earn nothing less than 250,000. No one said they’ll be driving saloon cars!It’s clearly stated that they’ll be trained to become Professional Heavy vehicle drivers, that’s not ordinary and no one pays professionals like that N500,000 annually!!!

• TruthTeller August 7, 2012 at 4:41 pm

@Aminu I doubt you work with Dangote. You’re so misinformed in the first place.Did any part of the article mention Aliko seeking for a chauffeur or private driver? You and everyone else can make their inquiries. Drivers that operate heavy duty machinery are well paid, it’s not like driving a saloon car, 4wd, or van, it’s called heavy duty! Read, it’s written there! I don’t see why anyone would condemn a gesture like this. Nigeria’s almost hopeless in so many aspects, the economic sector is deteriorating daily. Here comes this man that is creating jobs yet all we do is condemn. jeeze! We will never move forward with this empty pride.

• :) August 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Its an admirable scheme but is this really what Nigeria has turned into ?

• Bianca August 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Lets be honest, the man has certainly done well,let our government provides jobs if it’s an easy task,he has done what our government could’t do or refuses to do.

• Id August 14, 2012 at 11:18 am

Its 500k a year. The man is not stupid

• Nas August 23, 2012 at 12:55 am

Who go pay u that much to drive Truck for Naija

• luis January 11, 2013 at 7:14 pm

when i was in school(uniport) i did some businesses in calabar. it costs 70k for a truck driver to travel to ph on one trip of concrete so am not surprised. the job is not easy at all