Yesterday in Jalingo, the Taraba state capital, some members of the National Youth Service Corps, NYSC, at the Family House of the Redeemed Christian Corps Fellowship, RCCF were attacked by gunmen.

This has generated some apprehension among Youth Corps members especially those serving in northern states.

According to Vanguard, the bandits stole three laptops, 24 mobile phones and the monthly allowances of the corps members, after gaining entrance into the building through a toilet in the female wing.

One of the corps members said the armed robbers asked them of their states of origin and religion and threatened to behead them if they refused to cooperate.

He said they also threatened to rape the female corps members. Thankfully, no life was lost in the attack.

During the last mobilisation of youth corps members across the country, there was a public outcry against the posting of the graduates to some volatile states in the North. Parents, graduates and some organisations kicked against the mobilisation of youth corps members to such states for safety reasons.

Youth corps members, especially those serving in northern states, have in recent years come under attack from members of the radical Islamic sect, Boko Haram.

Many of them have been killed, raped and robbed of their belongings. During the last General Elections in Nigeria, a number of Youth Corps members were brutally murdered in the post-election violence in some northern states.

With this attack, their fears have been renewed.

The spokesperson of the Taraba State Police Command, Amos Olaoye who confirmed the attack said: “I can confirm the attack but it is not robbery. We have not made any arrest yet but the police are investigating.”

Hopefully, this would serve as a reawakening to the relevant authorities to ensure the safety of Youth Corps members across the country.

15 Comments on Youth Corps Members in Northern States get Apprehensive following Attack on NYSC Lodge in Taraba
  • odunayo September 7, 2012 at 10:30 am

dis is not fair oooooooooooo

• jonesboot September 7, 2012 at 10:39 am

They have the right to be apprehensive! it’s their lives we’re talking about here!

• Femi Gabriel September 7, 2012 at 10:51 am

….. and i thought Taraba state was safe (don’t blame me, it was when i served there in 2008). To be frank, what is the relevance of NYSC in Nigeria today? Quoting Fed. Govt, “The NYSC scheme was created in a bid to reconstruct, reconcile and rebuild the country after the Nigerian Civil war”, but i think we’re having the exact opposite now as i don’t think anything is being reconstructed, reconciled and rebuilt with the senseless killing in the northern part of the country. I’m not calling for the total scrapping of the scheme as that would make lots of people more unemployed, but making it voluntary and youths serving within their region (or anything more reasonable). A question i’m yet to get a response for is “Of what sense is the reconstructing, reconciling and rebuilding process when the youth (so called leaders of tomorrow) are being slaughtered, brutalized, maimed, raped to mention a few?”
    My stay in Taraba was ok to an extent, but when the few friends i made there invited me to come for vacation, i jokingly told them I SHALL NOT GO ON A JOURNEY OF SELF-DESTRUCT.

• Tess September 7, 2012 at 11:11 am

Imagine how scared they must hv been of been beheaded! Sadly this may get worse…those corpers shld just come back, next time they may not be so lucky.

• pynk September 7, 2012 at 11:35 am

there has to be a better way to go about serving the nation. this NYSC crap is just becoming ridiculous.

• brandigest September 7, 2012 at 12:15 pm

SOS, Corpers need help and protection in this country.

• NWAICHI September 7, 2012 at 12:49 pm

i also thoygt taraba was peaceful i served there 2008 and it was awesome
    May God help this country
    i am so happy they did not touch any female corper cos their HIV lEVEL THERE IS HIGH

• obanla adams September 7, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Oh God! Come and help us ooooooo! We do’t av a better government and security again.

• Lois September 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm

It is a matter of choice that a parent or coprer serves in the North. I for one was posted 3 times because I rejected 2 previous postings in 2009-2010. The first one at Rivers State, the second Jigawa state and I settled for the 3rd one at Enugu state though I still redeployed to Lagos. I said to myself, I will never serve at any volatile area. Be it of kidnapping or terrorism because the children of the influential and affluent don’t go there. So, why should I go to those places? Nigeria has not done anything, I repeat, anything for this generation and 2 previous generation to deserve any commitment of service to the country. So, if anyone in excitement or for any other lame reasons choose to go up north for NYSC, it is just like the common messages posted at the car park of public places “Cars are parked at owners risk”. Bauchi state governor -Yuguda had once said that the death of the brutally slained corpers during the post election violence was their lot and destiny. I have since then prayed fervently that his own children will be macheted, butchered, roasted, rapped, sodomised like what those ‘pre-destined corpers’ went through. Then, will I take his crap talk of “its really no big deal” as no big deal indeed. My fellow young Nigerians, come back home. Losing your life is not worth it at all especially in the hands of those who will take chieftancy titles and wear the robes to their offices the next day after you have been unwillingly cremated while breathing! I have been at home with no Job since after NYSC with having a 2:1 from the most reputable university in Nigeria. Don’t make your parents regret having you in the first place!

• Oma September 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm

This just shows how much we value lives in Nigeria.
    So they are still posting corpers to troubled northern states?
    why na?after some of them lost their lives a few years ago?

• rew September 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm

We know our leaders are heartless and do not have value life so i blame the corpers that actually go to these volatile areas. I also blame us Nigerians as a whole for not protesting and fighting against this.Your life is more important that some dumb ass NYSC scheme.

• konnie September 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Make una pray for safety ooooh

• MEE September 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

Well..u all hav made good points, @Lols,u rejected posting 3times? Hmm obviously ya papa get influence, cos am still trying to understand how u did dat one. For d records, graduates mobilised to dis troubled states protested seriously in Abj, and d federal government finally asked dat they b posted outa d state after orientation, n dos who wanted to stay shuld indicate n stay. Here is D thing,wen u hear of killings in all di states,it usually seems like its a war zone, but trust me,wen a corper gets to camp,n he or she realises people are walking freely n doin dia businesses, some wuld just decide to stay, I sat dis cos I work with nysc in jos, n after we giv corpers d chance to apply for redeployment,some wuld reject d letter wen it finally comes out, cos they may hav liked d state for oda reasons n decide to stay ,though lately wat we hav is mostly married women whose husbands live n work in jos, so all u see is pregnant n nursing mothers in khaki evrywhere.,n am sure u all know dt each time d debate about not posting corpers to dis states comes up in d senate or house of reps, d people from dis states argue with dia blood dat they want to disenfranchise dem, n at d end d matter is left so,cos believ me a lot of states especially dos volatile ones benefits from d services of corpers.haven said dat, I expect people to be angry cos to me o, its only dos who hav no one to help dem influence dia postings dt get posted to dos areas,n @ d end,if u unfortunatly die, u are so on ur own, we can only pray dat God heal our land of dis madness.

• alimi gbolahan April 20, 2013 at 12:39 pm

they are the leaders of tomorrow,police pls guide and secure them 4 us.

• alimi gbolahan April 20, 2013 at 12:40 pm