In the wake of the release of Nollywood star, Tonto Dikeh‘s songs, “Hi” and “Itz Ova” on Wednesday 17th October 2012, BellaNaija Music spotlights 6 Nollywood stars who have also been involved in the  Nigerian music industry.

Some of them have completely put a hold on their music careers and others are still in the game. Today, find out who makes the list of actors turned musicians, exclusively brought to you by BellaNaija.com

Check out the list!

Genevieve Nnaji

She is one of Nigeria’s most celebrated actresses and red carpet style star. The award winning actress who was featured on the Oprah Winfrey Show in 2009 on the TV mogul’s list of Most Famous People in the World, delved into the Nigerian music industry.

On Saturday 11th December 2004, the 33 year old Mirror Boy star, launched her debut album, One Logologo Line in Accra, Ghana. To promote the album, Genevieve officially released a video one of her singles, No More.

The 8 track album which retails presently on Amazon for $7.92 consists of the following songs; Ma Bre’Wo feat. Obour, Thinking Of You feat. Kojo Antwi, Native Doctor feat. Dede, One Logologo Line feat. VIP, Bunp It Up, No More, Missing You and Genevieve.

Watch Genevieve’s No More Video

Jim Iyke

Known for his bad boy image in lots of Nollywood blockbusters, Nigerian actor, Jim Iyke has gone on to become a household name and a bona fide superstar.

Just before the actor launched his clothing line “Untamed Closet” last year, he made a foray into the Nigerian music industry by releasing the video of his first song, “Who am I” featuring one of Africa’s most undisputed entertainers, 2Face Idibia. He later followed-up with another video for his other song “Born To Do This” featuring Puffy T.

We are not sure, if we should expect any more music from Jim Iyke as he publicly announced on stage while hosting the 2011 Africa Movie Academy Awards with Phone Swap lead actress, Nse Ikpe-Etim, that “Actors should stick to what they do, including me”, after Nse teased him about his song “Who am I”

Check the videos of Who am I and Born To Do This by Jim Iyke

Patience Ozokwor

This Nollywood veteran actress, Patience Ozokwor is racking up endorsements and smiling all the way to the bank. But a few years ago, Patience who has starred in over 200 Nigerian movies delved into the music industry under the stage name “Mama G”.

She released lots of videos for her songs including Ihe Neme N’uwa, Iyo Ngwo Ngwo, Adaeze, Make We Jolly and National Moi Moi, where Nollywood actors, Tonto Dikeh and Charles Awurum make cameo appearances.

Watch the videos of National Moi Moi and Make We Jolly by Mama G

Nkem Owoh

We can’t forget the Nollywood actor, Nkem Owoh‘s hilarious roles in Osuofia in London and Okada Man. The actor who is also an MTN ambassador alongside Patience Ozokwor, has also been involved in music.

He has released not less than 5 videos to promote his music career including songs like I Go Chop Your Dollar, Olamma, Akalaka, Marry Me and School Na Good Thing.

Check out the videos for I Go Chop Your Dollar and Marry Me by Nkem Owoh

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde

Currently in London, promoting her latest flick, Amina, where she plays a character of a woman with a mental disorder, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde is among Nigeria’s most renowned entertainers.

The 34 year old movie star, who joined the Nigerian music industry a few years ago with her debut album Gba, told BellaNaija’s Adeola Adeyemo that she decided to join the Nigerian music industry because ” I have things that I want to say, I love to sing, I want to express myself through music which I can’t do through movies.”

Her first album Gba, was released in 2005 to critical acclaim on the record label “Sound Factory” and the songs included Show Me Love feat. Sound Sultan, Dance feat. Ruggedman, Things You Do to Me feat. Nana King, Don’t Flip, Honey Boy, Life or Death, What You Looking At, Baby Girl, Things You Do to Me feat. Pasto Goody Goody and the album’s hit single, Naija Lowa (Gba) featuring Six O.

Later on, Omotola teamed up with Paul Play, Del B and Harry Song to produce her sophomore album “Me, Myself and Eyes”. It was launched on Friday 24th September 2010 under the label, Red Hot Records. Songs on the album included; Feel Alright feat. Harry SongBarren Land, Call Me, Get Busy feat. Harry Song,  Harmony, Missing You, Through The Fire feat. UcheNever Let Me Go feat. Tito, Keep Going, Through The Fire feat. Paul Play and Stop The War feat. Mode Nine.

Is Omosexy slowing down on her music career anytime soon? Apparently not. She told BellaNaija’s Adeola Adeyemo that she will be releasing another album before December 2012. So keeping refreshing BellaNaija.com for the exclsuive launch

Watch the videos of Feel Alright and Missing You by Omotola

Stella Damasus

Even before she became a household name in the Nigerian movie industry, Stella Damasus was known to only a few as a professional singer. Critically acclaimed for her dramatic movie roles, Stella also proves she can battle with the songstresses in the music industry.

Her music résumé includes being among an all star studded cast in Tade Ogidan‘s “OGD All Stars Jazz” album, the soundtrack for the movie, Bent Arrows titled “Cause I’ve Got You” and proving that we are going to hear more melodious music from her, she released a new song tilted “Love Me Quick”, just yesterday.

Watch Cause I’ve Got You  Video and listen to Love Me Quick by Stella Damasus

Tonto Dikeh

Tonto Dikeh’s certainly towing a path here. She’s got a line of A-listers ahead of her. If you missed the feature for Tonto’s spanking new songs, click here

BN Music Extra!
In 2006, renowned Nollywood director, Tade Ogidan gathered some of Nigeria’s most famous actors and actresses to be a part of his OGD All Stars Jamz album. The album which consists of highlife, hip-hop, gospel, folklore and kiddies’ school medleys, featured the voices of Stella Damasus, Bimbo Akintola, Richard Mofe-Damijio, Segun Arinze, Tina Mba, Teju “Babyface” Oyelakin, Ramsey Nouah, Funke Akindele-Oloyede and Shola Sobowale.

Watch OGD All Stars’ Aye Le video

56 Comments on Rocking the Mic! BN Music Spotlights 7 Nollywood Stars Who Have Delved into the Nigerian Music Industry
  • Ms. Jayee October 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Huh? Genevieve launched ‘One logologo line’ 11th December 2012? I’m sorry what year are we in?

• Teris October 19, 2012 at 3:51 pm

either you didn’t read the article right or BN pulled a fast one with their editorial. (cheeky ;D )

• jantofubu October 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Every road leads to MONEY only in Nigeria, if Nigeria actor and actresses can suspend acting and pick up the mic, I guess we can all quit our Jobs and start singing too.

KMT pure Nigeria rubbish. Everybody wants to sing.

• avo October 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

is Tonto Dikeh not supposed to be on this list with her sorry excuse for a song???

• Concerned Native October 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm

the difference between theses songs and tonto’s is that we can actually tolerate these ones, and can actually enjoy some of them.

• ArabianPrincess October 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm

The caption said “…Nollywood stars who have delved into the Nigerian music industry” So if Tonto Dikeh and her cacophony she called music haven’t been included. Then its safe to conclude that she is not a ‘Nollywood Star’…#kapish!

• Yve October 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I think Stella Damasus is a good singer and Nkem Owoh’s ‘I go chop your dollar’ was an entertaining song. The rest though….

I sing in the bathroom everyday and have recorded my singing on tapes a couple of times when I was younger but I don’t think that makes me a musician so….

KarmaYve@blogspot.com

• destined for greatness October 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Never thought there would be a day that I would be saying this but out of all these fine babes the best singer is Nkem Owoh “Praysident na ma sister broda” loool his song mak comedic sense d rest waste of energy.

• Uju October 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm

But on a second thought, these ain’t so bad.gen and omo were just okay not so bad like the first time I heard them. Truth is we don’t just want to hear them sing .

• ricky October 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Lets make it a competition……i say
    1. Stella
    2. Nkem
    3. Mama G
    ……
    10000. Omotola
    10001. Genevieve
    1000000000. Tonto

• coper October 19, 2012 at 10:53 pm

ha ha ha ha!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA AH AHA

• tina October 20, 2012 at 1:18 am

i totally agree with you. out of all of them Stella is the better singer. don’t know what Tonto was thinking. she should just stick to her acting career.

• M October 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm

You are mad funny, fell off my chair however u are right

• kenora October 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

patience ad nkem song are not bad at all ,as 4 others no comment

• dami October 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm

i have that of omotola’s both album i.e Gba and Me, Myself and Eyez, i am really impressed with her honestly, missing you is my favorite track of all the album, she really did justice to it with all sincerity.

• Janded October 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm

They should all stick to acting plsss.

• teepee October 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm

burning the fire by omotola is my favorite, she really showed the real talent in her, that woman is a super natural being to the core. i love her in every sense.

• D_eyecandy October 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm

all comical…

• Honeycoco October 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Stella Damasus is on a different level o, abeg. shes always been a singer with her late hubby. They even have a band. That said, even if Genevieve croaks, i will buy n listen. I love her that much. Altho, she has laughed at herself a lot about d album. The truth is Mama G, Gene were approached by marketers to do the album. Its d greedy marketers u shld blame, they just feel it will sell wit dia names n faces attached to it. Just like marketers have all d power in d stupid nollywood films, those regular ones wit parts 123……… They just pay one big actress n one big actor, cook up a stupid storyline n produce it. Very sad.

• sunday October 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm

omotola never let me down with that song never let me go, she showed that she is indeed a bundle of talent

• http://ashirigbakaute.blogspot.com/ October 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm

So what about other tracks in Genevieve’s album? How come the only one ever played was ‘no more?

• davido October 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm

we all konw that some are flop while some are not, so kudos that did well, dont wanna mention names oooo

• adola October 19, 2012 at 4:17 pm

i give it to omotola, then genny, they tried.

• AHOW October 19, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I love Gene, but Stella is the only one with the ability to branch out… Just saying!!!

• esther October 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm

feeeeeelllllllll alriteeeeeeeee, that was a nice song coming from a talented thespian omotola, i have the song as my ring tone cos i love it so much

• Bukki October 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Truth is Omotola is a good singer! We all know GBA was a National anthem … Her lyrics are meaningful and if she wasn’t an actor , a lot would see her totally as a fierce act. I think stella is good too. People need to chill. How much do we critique singers trying to act? Even when most of them sulk at it?

• lol October 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

STELLA CAN SINGGGGG!!!

• ogene October 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

it’s not as if they are all great but atleast we can categorise them, some are wack while some are ok, we all know them, stella, nkem owoh, omotola and genny are ok while the others are ……

• damsel October 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I give to Stella and Omotola missing you is not bad.

• Sexxie October 19, 2012 at 4:41 pm

This Aye Le medley is epic! Still got goose bumps…thanks BN for d video. Made my day :-) Apart frm Stella D, d rest should please stick to acting.

• Msunderstood October 20, 2012 at 12:35 am

Me too. Goose bumps all d way with dat Aye le song.

• adekunle October 19, 2012 at 4:45 pm

stella is a real talent in music

• mary October 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm

no no no, this missing you is something else, there is a kinda feeling going through me now that words cant explain, omotola really did well with the song, the video is unbelievably sweet.

• adeola October 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

nice one there my queen, how i so much love omotola….

• Missy October 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Lol @ genevieve no more i am pretty sure she wants to put this behind her she no try @ all and plus omotola was just fooling herself back then claiming Nigeria beyonce thank God she put that behind her.

• tybay October 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm

@missy, someone here seems to disagree with you. To quote him/her: “Omotola is a super natural being.” We are waiting with “bated breath” for her new album which she plans to drop before the end of this year. Personally, i dont think Omotola sings very well. She’s just averagely talented in that aspect, though she is a brilliant actress.

• Egusi October 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Ok BN must have pulled a first one on their editorial this page has been open for a while on my laptop and looking at the comments i am confused coz on my page Genevieve’s music date is 2004 and Tonto is featured ah well only Stella can make it in the music industry if you ask me

• igbosua October 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

omosexy with a sexy and touching video, really love it.

• Shee October 19, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Tonto Dikkeh what a name, what an actress and whatever she calls herself. I was not expecting anything less. More vegetable oil to your elbow instead of (grease) because I would make you look posh. People guess what, her strategy is ATTENTION. She would no succeed at all. Crappp why am I making this comment as well. But I would oh cos I rarely make comments. Guys you also need to see the way she was bragging on twitter in regards to the crapppp she calls single.

• Demmy October 19, 2012 at 5:32 pm

when I was younger I loved that No More song by Genevieve and I still do actually :)

• Msunderstood October 20, 2012 at 12:37 am

It’s actually not bad. D beat is catchy.

• Itohan October 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Tonto should be banned for ‘noise pollution’ that she regards as music. Stella, without any shadow of doubt is the best – and to some degree the best in acting in portraying the character in every role she has taken in the movie. She is quite a natural actor – no gragra. Genevieve is good – I acknowledge that. But I am not a fan.

• rew October 19, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Stella’s background is music…

• Cool cat October 19, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Must 2face collabo with everybody? Even jim Iyke???

• Let them say October 20, 2012 at 5:42 pm

As dem dey beg the guy, Wetin u wan make he do. Infact, majority of them will do anything to have him feature/collaborate. I don’t blame them though, it’s a strategy to sell.

• Deedee October 20, 2012 at 6:52 am

They should just stick to acting I beg, there are already too many wack talentless musicians everywhere . Make dem pity us.

• teamgenny for life October 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I just luv the accolade BN pour on Genny! There is definitely a wide margin between her and her counterpart

• huh? October 20, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Jim Iyke is one hell of a fine Dude….mean,that pix took my breath away,never save a guy pix before,bt I’m just tempted to do…his acting prowess is equally mad…never knew he sang anyway

• feyi A October 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm

so far as am concerned genevieve album was good highlife music. i liked native doctor and no more. it is the younger generation that didn’t like it and people who expected her to do something rnb song. she has a good voice and sings well too. as for nkem owoh and patience their song is good for east market. stella has a nice voice she is a correct singer. as for the remaining….. whatever…..

• faith October 20, 2012 at 11:42 pm

i wonder how tonto will b feeling now…lol…

• Tade October 21, 2012 at 4:55 am

LOOOL.. Thank you BellaNaija for this post. Genevieve’s “No More” was totally and still is my jam.. I wonder how she would feel when she looks back at this though.. #LevelDonChange
    Jim Ikye, Omotola, and most of all “SiSTer ITz PoKo BAby- ToNtO DiKEH” can like to all grab several seats.

• mii October 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm

there s nofin wrong in hvin more dan 1 career as long as u do it right!!!

• Efkay October 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Ah you didn’t include Desmond Elliot ooo. Wonderful Saviour

• kokomilo October 29, 2012 at 2:03 am

couldnt bring my self to finish listening to Tontos song lol… i just cant with these nollywood celebs mehn

• Chimex January 13, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Hmmm…..i rili luv stella’s voice, its wow, kudos 2 d queen of nolywood, genevieve, she murderd her söngs, a bundle of talent i must say, mama G, nkem and omot. Rili did well. I knw desmond, hanks anuku, chioma akpotha, chiege alisigwe also sang bt alas, dy re nt in d list. Luv genny nd stella more. Jim iyke, coment reservoir…………