Everyday, hundreds of Nigerians apply for Visas to foreign countries for different reasons – better standard of living, employment opportunities and the most commonly used “in search of greener pastures”. However, a large number of these applicants are refused visas for different reasons.

The Vice-Consul, United States Consulate, Lagos, Christopher Richardson, has said that with regards to the United States of America, many Nigerian applicants are refused visas because they have not visited other countries.

Punch reports that he said this yesterday at a seminar on the ‘American Visa Regime: the role of lawyers’ organised by the Immigration Lawyers Forum in Lagos.

The majority of the visa applicants prefer the US as their first outing. This creates doubt, especially when the applicant has not visited any other countries before.”

Richardson said applicants were also rejected visas because of the kind of answers they give to test questions during interviews.

When a question, such as ‘do you have a relation in the US?’ Most often, they are quick to say ‘yes’, which of course, is in order. Such an answer creates doubt that since the person has a relation, there is every tendency that the person may not want to come back. So visas can be rejected on that ground.”

He also said that Nigerians were among the countries with highest number of visa rejections.

His responses put Nigerians in a tight position. To obtain a visa to America, one stands a better chance if he or she has visited other countries. What if one has no intention of visiting other countries and just wants to go to America for valid reasons? And the part of having relations in the US is also interesting. Nigerians, with our history of overstaying our visas have reversed what was supposed to be an added advantage in the visa application process. Now they think we probably won’t come back to our country because we have relations in America. How sad.

What are your thoughts on the Vice-Consul’s statements? Have you ever tried to obtain an American visa? Were you granted the visa or not? Please share your experiences.

147 Comments on “Nigerians are Refused American Visas because they have not Visited Other Countries” – US Vice Consul
  • Bellanaijathegreatest November 14, 2012 at 9:26 am

Generally, I find them stereotypical in attitude, and also rude too. But they are adjusting to the fact that most petitioners have lied in one form or the other in their petition. The overall fault lies within the Nigerian state that do not offers a varied opportunity for economic advancement other countries offers for individuals, heightened level of security both of which will contribute to ability for adventures within the country.

• adenike November 14, 2012 at 9:36 am

Really shameful. Shameful on the part of the consul and shameful on our part. So because I’ve never visited another country before, I shouldn’t be allowed into your country? Absolute bollocks. Now they’re helping people to lie. Why should i say I have no relative when i have tens of relatives? Another hogwash if you’d ask me. Just say there’s a particular quota allocated to Nigerians on a yearly basis and once we exceed that quota, you start rejecting. These reasons are just embarrassing. On your part Mr Vice Consul.

• Aminat November 14, 2012 at 8:34 pm

No be small story!After touring the whole Europe,I felt I was entitled to a US visa ooh,lol!I applied a couple of times was,I consulted a friend who was issued at her first attempt and she said to me ” you’re too damn honest,that’s your problem”and honestly,the day I went to the embassy,right in front of me,people where literally lying through their teeth,and were being granted visas.I went and said the truth,and had my passport thrown back in my face…Do you know what?I went again,re-arranged my story,exaggerated a little on some things and na so ooh,they gave me visa!One hand!The people want to hear lies abi…their ear go full!

• Anna May 14, 2013 at 11:16 am

I guess what u said is true. The first time i applied for a US visa the consul told me that my son is a US citizen and he i need to apply him a CRBA. Now that my son granted a US citizenship and has a US passport.,I’m the only one that needs to apply a US visa.I am from the Philippines and I have been to Singapore for a Holiday. I told them the truth that i and my son are going to visit the grandparents of my son.I and the father of my son are not married. So the consul said..That i do not have strong ties to my country to prove that i will comeback and i honestly..i will return to my country.I told the consul that i do not work and i am a housemaker. Even the grandparents of my son paid twice for our visa interviewed.I think you were right..If u told them the truth they will deny you but if you lied they will grant you visa..

• Andrew February 19, 2014 at 10:16 am

You are so right!

• ADEBAYO ROTTYMMY May 5, 2014 at 2:19 pm

ADENIKE I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR OWN VIEW, I’VE BEEN TRYING US VISA SINCE 1999, JUST FOR VISIT,AND TILL NOW, JANUARY THIS YEAR I TRIED WITH MY WIFE BUT WE’RE NOT GIVEN TOO DESPITE THE FACT THAT WE’VE GOTTEN TRAVELLING EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WE BOTH TRAVELED TO SOUTH AFRICA LAST YEAR, FOR VACATION, THIS YEAR JANUARY WE BOTH WENT TO THE US EMBASSY ABUJA FOR B1/B2, BUT WE WERE STILL NOT GRANTED THE ENTRY PERMIT,ALL QUESTION ANSWERED CORRECTLY, I WORK AS A UNIFORM PERSONNEL LIKEWISE MY WIFE TO UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA.TILL NOW I DONT KNOW WHAT THEY WANT TO PROVE I WILL COME BACK.

• Partyrider November 14, 2012 at 9:38 am

Well he has a point..
    It’s the same way another country will hardly refuse you a visa when they see you’ve been to the US or several countries.Sincerely the more stamps you have on your passport, the higher your chances are of getting any visa.
    Plus with our(bad) reputation you can’t blame them.

• versence November 14, 2012 at 9:47 am

They are silly! I recently was rejected, besides i am not a jobless child. I have been to other countries and i also have siblings in the US( American citizens). What are they talking about. Acting like their country is ‘Heaven’. SMH! I am very upset with them seriously! So now i have my people there, chances of getting a visa is zero? Nonsense!

• Aij November 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Compared to Nigeria, their country is Heaven

• FAB November 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Lol

• e-bukun November 14, 2012 at 3:54 pm

hahaha!!!

• ayo February 8, 2014 at 2:15 am

LMAO . In my ratchet voice, U ain’t never lie. hahah

• Yankeeboy November 15, 2012 at 8:38 am

Their country is even,while Nigeria is hellfire :-)

• ugwu jaclyn November 14, 2012 at 9:48 am

What the US Vice Consul has said is not entirely true. I’ve applied twice for an American visa but haven’t been quite lucky in spite of the fact that I have a 10 year valid UK visa on passport as well as previous UK visas. And no I didn’t give dumb answers to their questions. I don’t look suspicious or criminal either. I just think they have different considerations. They should tell uus something else abeg!

• damsel November 14, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Sorry to read your story luv, but it will further upset you to realise that your 10 years valid vis is the more likely reason they won’t grant you the US visa.

I heard from an insider to the US embassy that the more years you have on your passport shows a desperation for not wanting to stay in your home country and if given an opportunity you won’t want to be living there. Except for old ppl, the more valid years you have on your visa (5years, and worst more 10 yrs) the lesser chances you have to get a US visa. Someone who has had just a 6months UK visa per each visit stands a better chance at convincing them that she is not planning to abscond to the US

• Theodora November 14, 2012 at 9:49 am

Sad……………….

• versence November 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

They are just bags of diluted RACISTS….

• ayo November 14, 2012 at 10:03 am

i dont agree with the idea of visiting other countries before applying for a us visa. one country must always be the first. if everyone is waiting for someone to have visited another country then no country will issue out a visa. i have visited two other countries and was still refused a visa so their theory doesnt hold any water.

• muyiwa June 10, 2013 at 8:00 pm

you are right this people fooling themself and our government is to blind to see, i live here in south africa for almost a year now and i have 5yrs working permit but toi my greatest surprise i applied for an american visa summit ed all the necessary document but the interviewer said i can get the visa because i have not said up to a year in south African please house help me on this matter does that count too.

• temitope November 14, 2012 at 10:08 am

yea i agree, the more stamps you have on your passport, the higher your chances of getting any visa….most especially if its d stamp of any asian country like china and malaysia and even dubai…my first trip outside the country was to malaysia and when the immigration officers at the airport saw that my passport was a fresh one, i was given a tough time and delayed and almost missed my flight..afterwards i also visited dubai and when i applied for a uk visa, my application was granted in less than a week and i faced less interrogation at the airports by immigration officers……i havent applied for an american visa before but i think one stands a greater chance if you have a someone over there who is a citizen or might not even be a citizen but has a good job and a clean record.

• Anna May 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

Dont think that s true. The father of my son is a US citizen and a US navy and our son is a US citizen. I am the only one that is a Filipino citizen. I applied a visa twice and told them the truth but they deny me and said that i do not have strong ties with my country.

• chuks July 31, 2013 at 8:37 am

the only thing is to apply for family reunion if u tell them u want to visit they will refuse ur application based on the fact that you and i know u are not coming back.

• Manuel April 21, 2014 at 10:39 pm

you punch of Nigerians with stupid intention of coming to our country, to cause commotion and intentional insanity.

• chinenye July 3, 2014 at 5:54 pm

manuel,it’s shameful how u are publicly displaying ur stupidity and incompetenc to speak good english.no 1 is coming to ur stupid country to cause commotion…..and yea did i mention dear.its ‘bunch’ not ‘punch’.dont be a dilletante.mtchew

• Nomy November 14, 2012 at 10:11 am

Shey na some of us wan escape go their land? Shey na still some of use huzzle America like say na ticket to all things good? Toh. Mr.Vice Counsel biko continue to tell us why you won’t give us Visa you hear? Maybe that will make us improve our own country and stop running abroad.

• Mousepad November 14, 2012 at 10:13 am

I totally agree with Adenike. I was denied visa regardless of having been to 3 African countries and the UAE….well maybe if UK was included then, they may have given..dunno

• LAdy Mel November 14, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I dont think other African countries matters to them ~_~

• Yvette November 14, 2012 at 10:13 am

He has an excellent point, the answers people give at the embassy are comical…seriously someone should make a show about it. People go there with cartons full of documents and even more lies to tell about what they want to do in the US…i had a conversation with someone who worked there an he said they can tell within 10 seconds whether they are going to give you that visa.

• Mariaah November 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm

LOL…. UK border Agency has a show about immigrants coming frm their country to the UK.. They actually showed this heavily pregnant lady going to the US but passing through London.. They didn’t let her travel eventually.. That show is too funny!! You should see Nigerians/Asians lying they ll be killed when they return home, 40 yr old bros forming 16yrs… LWKMD!!

• jj November 14, 2013 at 6:34 am

For the fact that u are pregnant will make them to refuse you an american visa

• chui July 20, 2014 at 9:42 am

Hi I wish you could explain further what they are looking out for that they can determine within 10 seconds if one should be granted a visa.

• versence November 14, 2012 at 10:45 am

• Andy November 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

I don’t blame him. Up till the early 80′s; UK and USA “begged” us to come, 75k=$1. If that blackman Obama was not fixing the US economy, in a few years America would have become like us. Nigeria’s motherland is better than theirs, our people work harder, even now the US govt agrees their education is very low. Our only problem is bad leadership caused by a handfull of Mediocres. ALL WILL CHANGE, IT’S A MATTER OF TIME.

• Tosin March 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm

>>Although I do agree that being selective in the visa application process is wrong, I’d like to point out that the United Kingdom is also selective with offering visas. Afterall Great Britian colonized Nigeria, why do Nigerians require visa to visit London when as an American you can stay for approximately a month with ease. Unfortunately, the a number of Nigerian leaders and citizens that have tarnished Nigeria’s reputation and the people are suffering the disadvantage. But in all honesty, America can never be close to being like Nigeria, people invest in America’s economy like crazy. Nigerian politicians spend their own money for campaigns, you’re comparing it to a nation that fundraises for politicians. Nigeria can be great but people have to understand it takes a collective effort and not that “every man for himself,” mindset.

• FASHINA AYO June 22, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I THINK WE NEED TO TAKE OVER OUR LOST GLORY FROM BAD LEADERS BEFORE WE CAN DEAL WITH OTHER COUNTRY THAT HELD BAD RECORDS AGAINST OUR VISA’S REQUEST

• nammy November 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

To me, dis is bullying of the highest order! so i must go to other countries first b4 applying to go to “Almighty US”???

but when we want to order goods from US online, why dont they ask us if we have ever ordered goods from other countries b4 ? yeye!
    and yet we dey jump in jubilation when obama win second term!! i daresay its gonna be more stringent!!

am so pissed! lemme go & relax wit dis, joor!

• biofela November 14, 2012 at 11:07 am

To me i will say i disagreed with what the vice consul said i was invited from my family to visit i was denied visa twice is it a crime or bad luck to have family in us have been to two different countries in Asia and Europe so why?let our leaders learn from this and improve our standard of living then we all have no reason to travel abroad

• tee November 14, 2012 at 11:17 am

please this is bullshit, i have been to other european countries and i also schooled in England for 4 years before i moved back to Nigeria. Last year I applied for the American visa and i was denied.

• unknown February 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Why did u return to naija? I think it’s a mistake people make

• Lani November 14, 2012 at 1:02 pm

People, people! They have only given some reasons. So if you have been to other countries and still denied a visa, there must have been other reasons. Why is everyone struggling to go to the US? There are far more exciting places to vacation. Cyprus – amazing beaches, Greece – economy is failing so they want tourist’s money, Barcelona in Spain – again failing economy so they need your money. UAE – absolutely beautiful country. Trust me, a holiday in these countries is far more exciting and luxurious.
    But everybody wan go America.

• Lani November 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm

By the way, the relatives you say you have can affect your visa application. Are they shady people? Do they have shady children? I know someone who kept getting rejected because of her brother’s record. Another friend who has lots of relatives in the US got her visa application rejected because they thought she didn’t have sufficient ties to Nigeria. There are all sorts of reason. When you go to the airport and see the scores of people flying to US on Arik and Delta (not to talk of people connecting on various other airlines) on a daily basis, you will know that they go give out visas generously.

• Otunba November 14, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Wetin una dey go find for America sef? U no fit sidon for your country?

• Gimmer November 17, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Thank you o. If only some of them put this american visa energy , determintion and ishan toward better and productive things.

• Yeni November 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm

its deir country and thats d way dy want it.

• sunnee deee November 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I think the man has failed to tell us the simple truth, They are only after Nigerian Money, recently in Feb. 2012, My wife apply with Kids for us visa though granted, myself apply but was refused and advise me to reapply and the fees was jerked up from 22k to 26k, I think they used the money they make here to run their mission and remit heavily revenue back to America because Nigeria has money.
    God will help us here, so Nigeria will be better too?

• yinx November 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm

i dont think its the fees, the fees to them is peanuts to what uk charges….do u knw how much uk charges for 6months, 2yrs and 5yrs visa. i think us visa fee is reasonable. i think its a situation whereby most nigerians go and never come back.

• person pikin November 14, 2012 at 6:40 pm

E fit be say ur grammar bin dey confuse them, who knows?

• anonymous November 14, 2012 at 10:30 pm

LMAO!!! I was just gonna say. U just stole my comment

• troy April 16, 2014 at 2:27 pm

lol na wa..u wicked oh haba

• Brandigest November 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Please BN I want to hear about Canada, the Sister Country to US. They too refuse visas a lot. i was denied Study Visa just 2weeks ago after making sure I presented original and authentic documents and BS…. I don’t blame them one bit, it’s their country, their interest supercedes foreigners’ own.

• Honey November 14, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Canada na die o, no go try dat one. They r so strict, a woman must do pregnancy test bla bla. they dont give visas ata all but its good cos we still ve a relatively good record here (Canada) than UK n US.

• Victim November 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This is total bullocks!!! Funny enough my interview was today and I was rejected visa. I have been to the states severally, Lived in the UK for 7 yrs and travelled to several countries. I work and own my own businesses to support my stay in the states. As far as am concerned they have a quotar on the number of people they can let into the country at a particular time and thats what is happening. They are extremely annoying and the vise chancellor cannot say if you have a relative there you would be refuse. its nonsense.

• toun July 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm

vice chancellor? reason you were refused

• nich November 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm

africa has had their chance to improve and they did not. somebody is hoping that the government will wake up. the truth is bitter. nigerian government will never wake up.

5 years from now will be the moment of truth for africa….america will become the largest oil producer in the world. by 2035 america will become completely energy independent.

once american oil companies start pulling out of nigeria and stop buying from africa. in 5 years…….africa will start crumbling into ashes……..once america reaches energy independence in 2035 if this world still lives on, europe especially russia will start heading to abyss

”oh africa why has thou fallen out of favor with God. I thank God for jacob in the bible who was the behind the america that we here of today……..in case some of you do not know (mennasah and efraim) are the present UK and USA.

I am sure you all remember that version in the bible that says” the senior shall serve the junior. anyway if you want to learn more read about the british people and the tomb of jacob.

i can’t thank God enough for making me to step my foot inside this country. most people who live here certainly do not want to relocate back to their country……..whether the economy is perfect or not………

all said and done i want to tell those of you who are looking to come to america to invest good amount of time in prayer and fasting……that is the secret i know in getting american visa……

sometimes it is not about documents or what u say to them……14 days of fasting and prayer………make sure your appointment matches on the day u are closing your prayers.. if america means so much to you then attach a vow to God in your prayers……this kind of prayer is better done in isolation……good luck

• Oma November 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Wtf are u on abt?

• nene November 14, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Oma can’t you read? nich is saying tha america is exploiting africa in everyway possible and it will eventually cause us o be forever dependent on them by the time they use us and dump us.

• vivian November 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm

• vivian November 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm

hi

• vivian May 12, 2013 at 2:19 pm

that,s nt enough reason of denying visas to nigeriens so if i dont have anything to do to order countries bicos i need usa visa i most aply fr another country,do we tell them lik dat before they get into our country. Anyway i knw blem them people wey go talk fr us no talk wetin we go do

• martins June 23, 2013 at 5:42 am

hi
        hw u

• phummie November 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Even if our leaders improve our standard of living, i only believe the frequency with which Nigerians travel abroad might reduce but will not be erased. Vacation is a way of life and people will always want to tour and relax in exotic places. America is not the only country in the world, neither is it the most beautiful place to be. The vice consul should really give a better reason.

• TruthTeller November 14, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Well, I was rejected the first two times I applied (for a student visa)but had visited other countries and had their valid Visa’s stamped in my passport, at least South Africa, UK, and a recent dubai trip (that expired already). I guess it just depends on the person because after that I applied again, told them the whole truth, and have since been getting 2 years visas till date. one thing they hate for sure is conflicting stories.

• Dekemi November 14, 2012 at 7:57 pm

This is B.S. having a relative in America should under no circumstance be viewed as an applicant not returning to Nigeria. It should be seen as the applicant having a place to stay when they get to America and not being a burden to the government. This dude is just looking for any excuse to stay relevant in the news.

• ayo February 8, 2014 at 2:57 am

While I am not in complete accord with the council comment with rejection based on the premise of not having other countries’ visas in your passport, I’m afraid I’m going to have to disagree with you just a tad bit, Dekemi. As an American citizen and someone who minored in Race Crime & Immigration as a student, the official raised a valid point with rejecting visas based on the premise of knowing someone in the States and here is why. One would be a burden on the government when you enter the United States and refuse to leave simply because you could now reside with your family – who are most like earning some type of federal benefits that are generally stemmed from tax payers fees. You will be a burden if you decide to stay and you hurt yourself because – now, the hospital will be obligated to treat you (on tax dollars) and you have no status, no way of paying your bills. The list goes on, but i do not think this is the sole premise.

The whole point of the B2 Visa is for you to enter the country, spend your money without getting any benefits and LEAVE. The spending starts from the visa application, to plane tickets, to HOTEL(s) where you should stay, Tourist attraction fees and by the time you spent 2 weeks to few months, you should be running low and cash and will then return. This way everybody is happy. But in the last 5 year, over 50,000 Nigerians emigrated to the US. THAT IS A LOT OF PEOPLE. If we develop a good reputation of returning to 9ja and Dept. of State can regain confidence in Nigerian citizens, doors will open.

• atutupoyoyo November 14, 2012 at 9:15 pm

its all just bullshit…….if america is where i wanna visit first y not…..i went to geneva, south africa, singapore and even lived in the UK for 2 years before i went for an american visa cos i had a 2 weeks training……i was given just a 3 months visa…..it was so annoying cos i had to go back again the next year.though i have a sister who lives in the US i told them i had no relatives cos i didn’t want the drama and all the questions that will follow.of course i stayed with my sis when i visited….in as much as they have the right to give or not to give having a relative or not having traveled to another country is not a legit reason to deny anyone based on that…..

• Née November 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Funny enough I have never have a visa application denied including my siblings. My brother who haven’t even paid his full school fee with less than 3m in my mum’s account was granted a student visa last year and fortunately also got a good job with the top 4 in US. I have always answered I have siblings in the US but the truth is I have never spent more than 10 days in all of my trips.

I just feel I can’t be rejected. Most of the consular officers are trained psychologist and they also do their research before you come before the interview. Some people don’t even spend 10 secs with you before they reject you. They just want to corroborate their doubt about issuing visa or not. Once you start on the wrong note. Finish! My last visa interview was less than 2 mins.

It all start from when you feel your visa application form and also try and put yourself in the place of the interview and imagine question you will be asked and provide convincing answers before you go.

• Luther November 15, 2012 at 1:34 am

Interesting comments from everyone. Here’s my situation guys. I’m a medical doctor,currently working in Saudi Arabia for 3 years. Prior to when I left Nigeria for Saudi Arabia,I had an American visa application rejected surprisingly. My application was quite simple. I had gone to only UAE for vacation but I had a stable job in Nigeria and I wasn’t married at the time. The consular officer rejected my application based on the fact that I didn’t have strong ties in Nigeria(whatever that meant). So fast forward 3 years later,I’m now married and my wife lives in this country with me. I’m wondering if I’d still be rejected…or maybe I should travel to Malaysia/Thailand for vacation instead. What do you think?

• Nosky November 15, 2012 at 5:43 am

Before coming to America I had never visited any other country. On the other hand, my friend who has been to several countries was still denied Visa. The consuls reason doesnt make sense. There is no logic in it. It is better to have a relative where you are going, that way you wont be stranded or have problems. I just showed this post to my American friends and they were astounded. They don’t know what Nigerians are going through just to visit.

• Gimmer November 17, 2012 at 6:38 pm

America is not do or die….nor by force to visit. Trust Nigerians to only be bent on visiting the country that OBVIOUSLY doesn’t want you visiting ? You all need to have some shame

• rrr July 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm

you are very right

• Yankeeboy November 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

Their country is heaven,while Nigeria is hellfire :-) and you haven’t visited the US you haven’t travelled ;-) easy on me guys!

• ANNON November 15, 2012 at 9:14 am

Intreasting Comments. i guess i should count myself favoured then cos i was given 2yrs visa without previous travel experience. i was pregnant then and told them i want to go have my baby there. was asked to supply documents from my Dr stating how far gone i was and also get an hospital in d US giving me cost estimate.the intreasting thing was that i had less than 500k reading on my account printout at d point of the application and interview and yet i was issued the visa.

• vivian November 15, 2012 at 10:16 am

Dear BN friends,i had 6 months mutiple last year to the uk, visited uk once on the 3rd month before the expiry date, stayed 1 week and came back to nigeria because of my work. now i submitted same documents for renewal 2 years. they refused me after delaying my passport. now i dont kw if US will give me if i apply as UK has put the refusal stamp. please advice me

• Expert November 15, 2012 at 1:02 pm

You may have been rejected the UK visa because you didn’t stay for some time for atleast 2 weeks except you were going for work or business or medical appointment which of course would reflect on your application form. So then if you said you applied for a holiday to the UK, why stay for a week then? it’s not very practical as not what a lot of people would normally do just for a holiday. Then again in your second application you requested for 2 years, meanwhile the 6 months they initialy gave you, you only spent one week. The thing here is, they have a minimum quota as in number of visas for Nigerians each year and they can’t exceed that range so if they feel you don’t really need the visa, why waste it on you? they rather grant it to someone who has proven to be a real holidayer!

About your US intending visa application, all i can say is good luck! if you have a job in Nigeria, make sure your employee gives you a recommendation letter which states that you are employed by them and you are just going to spend your leave and it should state your resumption date back to work. As others have stated, don’t make it seem like you have relatives there already. Better to say you’l stay with a friend or a hotel (in that case pay the hotel bills and show evidence of hotel reciept in your embassy docs). Above all be honest and let your story be coherent! such that even if it was you that was told the story, you won’t doubt it either

• Gimmer November 17, 2012 at 6:33 pm

But what are you looking for lobbying for visa so desperately? UK jabo you, now US is ur backup? Are you coming here to study? Are you coming for medical treatment ? I mean Is it that serious? You don’t see Americans clogging ur embassies desperately trying enter your country by force. Some of you need to have an iota of pride and shame too?

• Matt November 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm

They don’t go there because Nigeria is crappy. Who in their right mind would leave a country with 24/7 power supply, good infrastructure, one of the best medical systems in the world, fabulous education system — to end up in Nigeria.

• vivian November 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm

THANKS. BUT MY OFFICE GAVE ME 9 WORKING DAY LEAVE. AND BESIDES I STATED IN MY 6 MONTHS APPLICATION THAT I WILL BE SPENDING 7 DAYS TO LEAVE ON THE 8TH DAY. I THINK ITS REASONABLE ENOUGH.

IF IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE DURATION THEY WON’T GIVE ME THE 6 MONTHS IN THE FIRST PLACE. AM JUST SCARED AS UK HAVE ALREADY STAMPED THEIR REFUSAL, IF US WILL IGNORE IT AND GRANT ME IF AM CONVINCING WITH MY ANSWERS TO THEM

• Expert November 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Regardless of how long you intend to stay in the UK even if it’s for just one night, as long as you applied for a visiting visa, the 1st visa is always 6months

• Amaka February 12, 2014 at 9:49 am

I think there is a need to look at the reasons for the UK rejection and address those reasons. With a job and having travelled to the UK before, you stand a chance of getting a renewal. Just make sure you were not careless in your application (speaking from expereince cos it happened to me too and i re-applied and was granted). There is need to make right your relationship with the UK, before applying to the US, it is very important.

• Boppy November 16, 2012 at 3:26 am

My nigerian boyfriend has tried 4 times to apply for visitors visa to Canada and denied every time for reasons of not having a job (he is student), not being rich (not enuf $ in bank), not having travelled (same thing as not being rich!), not having enough ties to Nigeria (he is only child supporting his mom). We too told the truth the first time then learned that the truth was not what would get a visa. We later were told that I should not have told them I was his CDN girlfriend. Then we tried (again x3) for a UK visa to visit his family there (father/ cousin) and were declined again for lack of previous travel. How in the world can the average Nigerian afford to travel when there are so few countries that will accept a Nigerian and those that do cost so much money to travel to? Not only is this sad for Nigerian but it shows a distinct discrimination against all Nigerians. I read the comments on this site and feel discouraged that even if he tries to travel, like to UAE , that it is a waste of money. I feel the governments are just taking money off applicants – we have spent thousands of dollars on applications, photographs, copies and more…but the rules allow all the wrong people in….like liars with money.

• Margarita April 30, 2013 at 4:03 am

You are so right, all they want is the money!
      They already know their going to deny you. So why bother taking applications?
      History repeats itself… Government is full of criminals and they are the ones who conspire with rich criminals to travel the world to fill their own pockets and don’t give a damn about their own people. Isn’t it about time GOOD, Hard working people get rid of the criminals!?
      Stop letting the RICH GET AWAY WITH IT!
      I for one am so sick of some members of government pretending to care about their people as they fill their pockets and have you killed while lying to cover up their evil deeds as they walk away free!!! I’ve seen what government has done to honest people, including children! All for the sake of making themselves richer! Does every country have criminals such as these?… just about, I’m sure. Nigeria is full of God Fearing people who want to be honest and work but their government just like many other countries don’t care about anyone except how much money their going to make. Just like criminals all over the world, They learn from other countries on how to get away with treating you as personal slaves! Good honest people have to work months just to make the amount of money for fees and things… they don’t want you to leave because they want your money. I’m sorry to say but I think they want their people enslaved….
      Slavery is not dead in Africa!!! That’s the way they want to keep it!
      It would be better if you just traveled to your boyfriend and marry him…
      Good Luck to you both and God Bless!

• Gimmer November 17, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I dont blame them….small time these bloody Nigerians will turn the USA into the immigration A.k.a naija junk yard mess that is the UK

• sara December 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm

i have no comments

• Elle January 28, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I concur with those who say the embassies probably have a quota per time. There is no other logical explanation. However, for those who really need counselling before submitting their visa applications, you can email me. Mention Bella Naija & i’ll give you some free tips that will increase your chances of getting a visa. No harm in trying anyway ellejacobs11@gmail.com

• Princess January 31, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Hi every1, please I need some advice concerning a US visa application, I’m a 29yrs old Accountant presently working for the Lagos state Gov. I applied for a US non-immigrate visa March 2012 to visit my partner and was refused wit a letter that says no strong tiers in Nigeria, I have a gud job, lovely family, assets, property which the interviewer never ask and yet refused me under the no strong tiers to home country. My guy was sad and ask that we meet n spend de vacation in Italy which I also applied without de insurance due to lack of knowledge (no visa without insurance), and I was denied but with a letter dat I should get insurance and come back. Although my guy had to come spend the holiday with me in Naija last Christmas ans now I want to re-apply for a US visa to visit him as my leave comes up March but the issue is I have Italy denier stamp on my passport! Will it affect my application or not? Kindly let me a useful answer. Thanks and God bless.

• Happy February 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

All Nigerians are conmen and fraudsters. You are on the watch list of every Western country. I would never give you scum a visa !

• just me October 23, 2013 at 10:48 am

Can’t believe how people like you display their ignorance publicly ! you are uninformed, uncultured, biased and extremely judgmental. Well i know we have some (or a lot) bad eggs in nigeria, but Nigeria still has some good citizens.I AM NOT A FRAUDSTER AND I’M SURE THAT THERE A LOT OF OTHER NIGERIANS IN THESAME BOAT AS ME.
      Next , time, pls THINK before you open your mouth to speak( or use your fingers to type)

• Inem February 11, 2013 at 7:25 pm

@Happy- God will punish you for that statement. Idiot.

• Bob February 14, 2013 at 7:54 am

Well i study in china for almost 4years now, so i tried to visit my relatives for inter vacation. i did everything gathered all the required document, but at the end i was rejected in just 3 minute of interview and they could not give me the main reason why i was rejected but said my country does no have a strong ties with china so i have to go back to my country and apply. how sad it was.

• jerry February 19, 2013 at 1:09 am

pls let them give me ooooo

• kuttas February 19, 2013 at 1:15 am

the almight God will touch them to give me visa,in christ name….

• wiklo February 19, 2013 at 2:53 am

Fast for 5 days including visa day and sleep one night @ bar-beach before going in for your interview!!!!

• Collins February 21, 2013 at 11:53 am

All well and said.The bible says No man receive anything good except he be given to him from heaven.Fasting and prayer is d key to visa possession.

• Chike March 12, 2013 at 11:06 am

I think the vice consular has a strong point why Nigerians are refused visa to USA, however this should not be a basis for refusal. I was issued a visa after answering three simple questions. I have visited UAE and South Africa before applying for US visa. The most important thing is ingenuity and purpose of your trip as perceived by the consular officer.

• Collins March 13, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hello chika wat are d questions asked during ur interview.

• Angelica March 16, 2013 at 5:29 am

I am a usa citizen born and raised. After reading the comments, I am ashamed of the usa for not allowing Nigerians to visit the usa. My dilemma is this…I met a guy online and we have dated for more than a year now. We have yet to meet but I want to marry this man. How do I go about getting him here to live with me. I’ve learned that you have to show a certain amount of income on a bank statement which I don’t have saved, however, I make more than enough to care for him until he finds a job. I have my own home so he will not be homeless. I have the means to care for him just not saved in a bank. Would I have to go there and marry him in order to bring him back? Even at that it’s probably no guarntee he will still get the visa right?

• Jacobson April 3, 2013 at 6:39 pm

@ Angelica, your case is simple. Just make sure you have met with him for once. I mean, visit him here in Nigeria; go back to US and file K1 petition for him with USCIS. And trust me, is undeniable.

• ay January 7, 2014 at 7:04 pm

after you marry him. You need to visit the embassy with him. you are going to be given priority. visit nigeria ambassy after marriage and they are going to give him the visa

• Angelica March 16, 2013 at 5:36 am

Am also wondering why is it so much easier for a usa citizen to enter into Africa countries and so hard for Africans to enter into usa countries?

• wonderer March 18, 2013 at 5:29 pm

it is unfortunate that they would rather grant visas to people who lie, and provide fake documents as per employment, salary, marital status, etc….and ignore genuine applicants who have none of these and would really return back to Nigeria.

It is sad what the situation has become. Some has to start having some travel experience starting with a country at some point. What if the person only has relatives to visit in the US? they are so myopic.

• wonderer March 18, 2013 at 5:30 pm

It is sad what the situation has become. Someone has to start having some travel experience starting with a country at some point. What if the person only has relatives to visit in the US? they are so myopic, and that’s why they are having the problems of people not returning – because they encourage people to lie.

• Jay April 4, 2013 at 2:13 am

Angelica, be careful of that dude you have been dating online for a year. his only aim is to get to the USA and after he gets here, gets the green card, he will dump u asap. most of these online scam artist already have someone here in the USA they really love (Nigerians or Africans) like them. the thing is that those people they love dont have the means (legal status: permanent resident card or citizenship) to bring them, hence they encourage their nigerian lover to go online to look for gullible people like u to decieve, I have been a victim before, i almost brought someone here, i visited her in nigeria and all that k1 thinhg was running in my head, one night, she failed to log out of her facebook account and i read the chat she was having with her real boyfriend in sacramento, CA. Who was coaching her on how to play the cards with me. I confronted her when i returned to the USA, and guess what she told me? Now that you know its a game, no regrets, i will simply move on to the next person, i have 7 of your types…. imagine!

• lawal July 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Mr . B careful of what u post bcos d guy may n may nt b a fraud, just av to tell her 2 make sure she meet him and b sure d guy is real. though we av lot of scammers in nija bt u neva can tell if d guys is 4 real . cos dis kind of what is bn discussed here dat nijas are denied visa due to people over stayin were as is nt everyone who wants 2 do dat. same might apply 2 dis guy u r talkin abt

• united slavery of america April 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm

why do u want to come and be a slave in United Slavery of America. 99% are slaves. Opera ascend to the top 1% is a calculated move to further enslave her own people with crappy TV programs. Condol eza is another one, dumb as hemp, o well, got a phddy from stan ford political science, how had is it to turn in a thesis full of biases and lies?? that nigerian oil dude in tx, busy ferrying out naija’s resources at chicken change and all the money in the white man’s bank, not doing anything to his homeland. Oh, obomber, gamely positioned to go and kill his blood “father” gadah fi; oh i forgot, na only gadah fi be dictator? why them no go kill them for n. korea or china. americans are running to china, taiwan, singapore, and all these fine places with cheap semi-conductors. the so called apple computer, the factory is based in china. you naija people need to wake up. if yankee is going to asia. then go to asia. and cut out the middleman, which is yankee. the so called yankee education is nothing but re-written copy-cats after china and eastern europe. china leads everybody in the math olympiad competition and ibm programming competition. wake up africa. everything on u.s. media is lie-lie. hil lary come tell u guys make u no trade or give oil to china due to global warming, another big lie, where as here in yankee, everything is from china. yankee is only administrative and artificial sugar coating. they don’t care about anything but your money. they don’t even care about their own 99% people, that have debts drowning them from head to toe. they give aids to other countries b/c they no they know them dey get exponential higher returns, in cash money, yankee security, or use them against bigger powers like china and russia. in fact, me i dey seriously dey learn mandarin china now. See how prosperous south africa is being a member of the BRICS. tell naija make them forget UN or IMF. UN na yankee benefit only. even them self no dey listen to UN. like when UN tell them make them no go irak. yankee top phddy schools dey form campuses in asia to spy and tap on their talents. a word is enough for the wise before you grow grey bear-bear o. chinese pple no the system say na slavery. as them do for yankee, maybe semiconductor invention or build bridges for yankee, them don do like 1000 of them for their country china. only african people they stay put and no dey do anything for back home. no country in the world thrive with its people waiting on the govt. the people rise up and do!

• united slavery of america April 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm

how come they never refund your money after they reject your visa. russia and chinese embassies will refund you if they reject you. is that america too good a country? stupid media-driven slavery ploy, greedy asshole usa, preying on well-intentioned but ignorant people.
    the other day, many times i was confronted by children (high school age, both white, black races). they ask how come we africans sold our people to american slavery. i sat them down. the history book you read is written by who? white! & you don’t think the white publisher will rewrite it to their own advantage? Again, i ask them: Have you heard of Jaja of Opobo. I read this in history book in 3rd grade (pry 3). Guess what? This king fought the Europeans, British especially, to abolish slavery of his people, forced them to regulated trade and levied duties on British traders. Guess what they arrested him, sent him to jail cross-continent, and killed him.

China did not engage in africa slave trade. america did, europe did. china built all the railways in naija. so, when will africa know that china is their best friend!

• Swain Songz April 11, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Hi HATER, Some Of This Whith Peps Hates Blacks… Well We Are Happy, Glad To Be Black And Africans… You Haters Down Grade Us, You Underate Us… The More You Hate Us The More God Will Favour Us… Keep Pushing Us To The Walls…And We Shall Surely Break Through with Strong Shiny Flying Wings ”SUPER EAGLE” Baby! WOooo!!!

• Omole O. Telvin April 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I am a Nigerian and my own US student VISA interview is a couple of weeks away. I read the comments of US vice consul and I am indifferent. However, I feel the major problem is that Nigerians are difficult to trust. Too many fraudulent people. It is therefore difficult to figure out or isolate those with genuine intention. The reputation of most Nigerians abroad is negative and something to speak on. Consequently, everyone is seen as a potential fraud or FRAUD. Change in attitude and absolute repentance is the key. ” the world is passing away with its desires but he that does the will of God remain forever”. so my brothers and sisters, make una no worry, very soon there wont be need to travel. God go soon come. America na the last super power! The time left is very very very very short!!!

• babee50 April 27, 2013 at 8:14 pm

You needd to be enlightened! You think america got to where dey are 1n 50yrs it took dem 200yrs of sacrifice and hard work to be dere. Now Nigeria is 50, we are moving forward, touring andd getting new insights will hasstened dat for us, but we are not desperate. We will get dere anyways it may take time but we will get dere. What americans should do is stop painting us as beggers and misfortunes and help if ddey wanna help. they r opprtunists and dey only refuse visas wen dey av nothin to gain by letting you into deir country. So either you got a lot of money to spend or a business affiliation. Nigeria in 200yrs will be a great nation. And frankly, in 2013, with the crashing financial crisis in the usa, i would rada be here, makee a lot of money, dan make mediocre salary bcoz i want to stay in america! Mind you, dey r sharing mark of the beast.

• Uche April 30, 2013 at 5:03 pm

You guys are funny

• Uche April 30, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Americans have always been paranoid about their country. Who can blame them? They happen to be the most hated country in the world. Some fundermentalist will stop at nothing to see the destruction of America/American citizens. America as a country deserves to protect itself from economic and physical harm and are within their rights to impose strict measures for people who want to visit their country. I am A british passport holder from Nigerian parents. Holders of british passports are allowed to travel to America visa free due to the visa waiver arrangement. However, any UK citizen that has a criminal record or has ever been arrested by the police is now required to obtain a visa before visiting the USA. They will need to obtain a criminal record certificate from the police authorities as part of the visa process. So you see, its not just about Africa or being black. It is about a country ptotecting itself in an ever changing world of uncertainty and people who are only out to destroy

• Dolphin ico May 2, 2013 at 5:43 am

i have a good job, and some nice money in my bank account, i am single, i have not travelled out before.
    now my friend a USA Citizen wants me to visit, i have All i have in Nigeria even my grandpa’s dead body is in Nigeria, and there is no how i can stay outside without coming to see my widow mom and siblings.
    do you think i can get the Visa when I apply my friend has wanted me to visit and has sent many letters inviting me over.

• chris May 12, 2013 at 2:12 pm

• Damola May 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I frankly belief,d vice consul is economical wit d truth,my 65yr old mom in law was denied,even wit a resourceful,well paid,US trainned Professor son & highly comendable invite frm his university employer.D VO simply ignore d old woman’s documents.

• Madueke linus June 14, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Please friend I need urgent advice, I got appointment for interview in U.S.A Embassy on 21th of June why my wife own is on 26th so my questions is
    (1) since we have same documents can they allow us to be interviewed at same day?
    (2) if we get seperate interview, will they accept photo copy from my wife?
    Please any body with reliable answer should email me chibyikedon4real@yahoo.co.uk

• FASHINA AYO June 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm

• Obaga Clem June 16, 2013 at 3:01 am

Chiby,
    This is a very big mistake, how can you and your wife get different date
    Add ur wife appointment to your own or simply cancel her appointment and rebook to ur day
    or cancel your appointment and rebook for her day so that you can submit same day.
    This is my advice for you

• moscodione July 3, 2013 at 4:21 pm

i need an advice and need to know the rules and requirement in the interview because am having appointment interview on 12th july 2013. Am going for a visit to see a friend who invites me and i believe a copy invitation letter in with the Embassy. the person in question inviting me is a US citizen and a close friend. i have never travel before but i have the believe and faith that my visa will be granted. God bless you all.

• danny chuks July 4, 2013 at 11:02 pm

i learn t from my cousin in the u.s that there is currently an embargo of student visa as a result of the boston bombings. so out of fifty applicants only like 2 is issued so the countries wuldnt know the law is working. so is only prayers.

• plain revolutioners July 14, 2013 at 4:12 am

US are too wise, but Nigerians are wisest.. Fraud is everywhere in the world, mind you US introduce Scam into Nigeria early 70′s but sounds business and development to help us stand as a country by opening our leaders eyes and instead of our leaders to wise up and destroy their intention, rather they using it to destroy our Nigeria reputation to the world, and that makes an hungry country to rise even when you said Nigerians are fraudulent country I think and fire you back by saying you are CAPITALLY wrong so think? we are hard working people even do without our government but God, if Nigerians are scamming US through internet that’s what the sole and surely what they will reap even God that gave US the upright figure to set things right as the most powerful country and secure themselves and their citizen as they thought but is useless because they are destroying and confusing themselves because US is not secure at all, If I can go to US I will not open an account or have a credit card because my credit card will be hacked by US enemies and sold to an Arab man or an African brother to use for shopping online and he or she never being to US before ..(You see I just link one secret, so US contact and pay me for that)… For me Nigerians are good in business because their mentor are US so this goes to US, is a very good advice, Nigerians is a God caring country and God is here in Nigeria always (forget boko Aram oo) and God is no in US, because the people out there are Devil brothers and sisters, They eat the good people with guns and sent the Godly ones to jail long.. The mark of the beast as the bible said is really going round, even a responsible man have a tattoo and they said is fashion, US swallow all the wonderful talented people that have ever made it as blacks because they hate the truth, US US same them are causing trouble to confuse all countries and make citizens suffer,… You that’s going to US is good exotic and fun country because you thought there’s opportunity right (for your mind) I love their talent but can’t be compare with the talents Nigerians got because is natural, If a 15years old in US can own a 7 houses and ride a car of 3m, Man there’s a place really where they are sucking other people blood to make that money, and power and please check them at they age of 45yrs old later, you would see their body turn old man even with their money, and if you ain’t with them and saying the truth, the will kill you.. crimes.. drugs.. racist, man we Nigeria don’t have it here because then we used to say that Igbo man , Yoruba man or Hausa man you know though is mentality but still controllable, and I think it depends on the kind of human you are definitely we are understanding ourselves and relatively showing one love and we understand each other so God is here in Nigeria, maybe in a little time the whole world will understand that Nigerians are really the best, and everyone out there will want to visit Nigeria and there’s no doubt we would do shakara too and make our visa strict, that’s if all the officials in government now are buried six feet, I didn’t discount one, I mean and said all of them even the current president naooo and the formal one even they one that came out of prison to be president..You get. then Nigeria will be a revolution. If fire can pick from not lighting it and runs through the ground and burn a whole city in California and earthquake, tornado can suddenly happen and people die all day, if not by natural disaster , it may be that someone shoot you or machete you to death. I love US because of the great people they have, and is a pity how they killed them all because of the truth, not sure they can get great people those buried in their soil, I don’t want to mention them because they are many and all their cause of death is killing no one just dead. I love my country Nigeria and you don’t dare call Nigeria a fraudulent country because if you that think that way is gonna be a regret to you for saying that.. Does Nigerians commit crime more than Mexico, Italy, Russia, Colombia, Spain, Philipines, even US, Uk and many more countries to mention umm answer? (Just like I can see the most wicked country in Africa in South Africa)…those mention do drugs more than anything and are masters of frauds .. but to them is business and so it keeps on expanding because is politics and all the government officials do it, eat it and smoke it.. is business.. I’m glad our young boys are helping themselves and family with doing internet business and no differences from the rest, is all business.. get your money and invest it well, if you feel like to go to US embassy feel free and talk like a big man in the interview, I believe you will get it and if they denied you, just know God is saving you because you may get their visa and go die there so is better you don’t complain because all I want is a Visa to heaven where I will see my God and not devil. God is great lets honor him because only him gives Visas health, visas wealth and visas long life.

• Ngor… August 12, 2013 at 9:04 am

Who the hell do you think has time to read this poorly written and very pointless rant? Your grammar alone is appalling!!! Semi-literate people like you are just the worst!! You think you know everything and you won’t shut the hell up!!! Please step away from the keyboard…

• amusa babatunde July 26, 2013 at 9:48 am

i applied for america visa twice in lagos last year and i was refused without reason. stated with what the statement released from the embassy ,you can only be refused with two reasons.
    Question
    (1) if the applicant has not travelled before.
    Answer
    have travelled to 3 african countries without over stay (south africa,ghana ,togo).
    (2)Qestion
    the applicant must confused the person that will interview him/her at the embassy.
    Answer
    I presented the necessary document which includes my bank statement ,invitation letter ,bank details of the person inviting me,invite data page, my wedding certificate ,my wedding picture,letter from my working place ,my leave letter ,my appointment letter.
    i provided all this document with the best time and i confused the person that interviewed me but at the end he said he can issue me the visa after this refusal have travelled for holiday to malaysia ,dubai ,tanzania,south africa and uk with my documents that was refused from america embassy.
    Before any refusal of visa confirm the neccessary document presented at the embassy and confirm it before given your judgement to your applicant

• Anonymous August 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm

America the Idea–Values

AmericA the Idea
    America a Nation born of an idea that all men are created equal
    America a Nation conceived in the idea of Liberty for all
    America an enclave born of the idea that freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are not ends in of themselves, but rather, are journeys to be forever undertaken and guarded
    America is an idea that a warm embrace awaits the poor, the weary, and “the huddled masses yearning to breathe free”
    America an idea born of hunger, famine, gives thanks to the almighty for bountiful harvests America is an idea of an innocent, but gracious and determined ballerina who lost a foot in a senseless attack
    America the idea—ethics and Politics
    America an idea that imperfections while they exist can be made perfect
    America an idea forever mired in slavery; a people made free
    America an idea that injustices wherever and whenever detected should be made just
    America an idea that while differing opinions, culture, religion, race and ethnicity may separate, there is always a common ground because…………
    America is an idea about life…and the pursuit of happiness
    America the idea—Foreign policy
    America is the idea that while China, Russia, and other major powers seats on the sideline while Tyranny ravages the world, America will act to free the oppressed…because in the words of an African author, “The man dies in all who keep silent in the face of tyranny”
    America is the idea that a Nation and a People can shine light to illuminate the darkest corners of the globe
    America, while an idea, will go in pursuit of all who threatens it
    America is an idea in progress, an idea in search of a more perfect Union.

An ode to America written by a first generation immigrant is based on how the author sees America. It is based on the aspirations and quotes from various authors and leaders over the years as they reflected on the “idea” of America. The ode is divided into three verses values, ethics and politics, and foreign policy.
    The inspiration for the ode arises as the author ponders on the events of the Boston marathon; why do they hate us? The author wonders. The author compares life in Nigeria to life in America, and asks himself again; why would anyone hate America this much? The author does not know the answer. As the author pondered, it occurred to him that America while it is the richest nation on earth, is an intangible…it is an idea. America is not the physical wealth of its people, nor is it its people; it is an idea, the people only bought into that idea. That is why generations may come and go, but the very idea endures. Our wealth, country, military—tangibles—may be threatened, but the idea will endure. Americans will never be broken. Our goal therefore, is to protect, nurture, and instill and promote the idea to future generations. That is the duty of all of us. To do otherwise is to give an opportunity to those who seek to destroy us.

• adebayo clement seun August 15, 2013 at 9:43 pm

please sir i am adebayo clement seun i won visa lottery last year 2012 may with case number 2013AF7390 D OB 1978. But i was denial 4 visa with my legal wife MRS adebayo bukola . Pls kindly help us because i spent nearly what i on this programme before 30th September 2013 .i was charge 4 human smugging while my wife was charge for mispresentation on 16th Feb; 2013 @ US embassy lagos help me

• adebayo clement seun August 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm

i need your assistance to reappeal won visa again our family was denial on 16th feb 2013 immigrant visa case number 2013AF7390 D OB1978 MR&MRS ADEBAYO CLEMENT

• Chinedu August 27, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I don’t blame the US Immigration officers and their laws for any reason at all, they are doing their jobs which they should do. Think about it this way ” If United States of America is you own private home, will you allow just everyone who can’t take care of their homes to enter into yours?. The problem is right there is front of us, OUR GOVERNMENT

• Tee Tee August 31, 2013 at 7:20 am

Nigerian visa is abt N75,000 and alot of people are rejected also…so plz dnt think it’s only U.S. n U.K. dt bounce applications….

• crazy September 17, 2013 at 3:57 am

And how is this our – problem , come to think of it we are wised now . we are here to make our own country good at least we are growing fast and are smart.

• BlameOurGovt September 26, 2013 at 1:46 am

I say blame it on our selfish govt who only cares for their pocket, because they don’t care to better naija so everyone wants to run out of the country, why blaming US for not granting visas? If they grant visas just like that then Nobody will like to remain in this “mere geographical location ” called Nigeria. I’m very ashamed of our corrupted Government

• BlameOurGovt September 26, 2013 at 2:10 am

I’m yet to see a review talking about how to tell the corrupted govt that enslaves us that enough is enough “revolution” but such is very hard to happen in this country where everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die. The bitter truth is that they knows if they grant visas in such way only 20% out of 100% will come back to Naija. So we need to solve our internal problem first before expecting the world to grant us visa free.

• Nikki Azeez October 2, 2013 at 3:52 pm

For solid information , check.out http://www.visajourney.com its extremely useful as far as giving you information in laymen’s terms. They also have a FB group, visa journey. Good luck.

• Teebabe October 14, 2013 at 11:42 am

Lmao!

• Deesilva October 24, 2013 at 6:09 am

American embassy are stupid. I had a two year visa, went to the US once, I did not over stay, spent only three weeks and actually have 5 years on my uk perm residence and used 3 already and I get my British passport after my five years …only for the guy at the American embassy to deny me visa for renewal …if I wanted to run away would I not have in he two years that I had the visa?

• Deesilva October 24, 2013 at 6:20 am

And their stupidity about Nigerians not going to other countries. First of all I only speak English…so I will like to go to an English speaking country, secondly dollars is cheaper to pounds and America is good for shopping, why shouldn’t Nigerians want to go to another English speaking country where I have friends to holiday…. We are not oyinbo. Most black people go to countries they know people for holidays not where no one speaks their language. There is racism already , then I should carry my head and go and spend my hard earned money in a country I can’t speak their language and a country that eggs can be thrown at me for being black all in the name of holiday …..plsssssss. American embassy needs to wake up, not everyone will live in their outcry illegally for what reason.

• Peace Respect Love and Prosperity October 26, 2013 at 4:19 am

This is very heavy on my heart…… I’m a African American, in black and born in America. It breaks my heart to see my race which is African, american which is BLACK born in the usa. I really wish my people could come here easily. It’s simply not fair And obvious to me its racist and ignorance for majority of the denial for these visas. I have never been to Nigeria and planning on visiting within 12 months! I do feel and hear everything Nigerians are saying. No matter what my people from Motherland I sincerely hear you. I will say this being black weather in the usa of Africa we have never been free. It should never be so difficult for anyone to move anywhere on this earth. It’s clearly obvious they aren’t treating Nigerians right. People need to stop speaking down on Nigerians because if tables were turned…….its not easy there. So im positive the rude comments you would bite your tounge off having to live in such a deprived country as Nigerians. The nerves of some people. And u wouldn’t last a month in such a country while they have survived their whole lives in such poverty. I love Africa and respect them cuz I’m African American and I hear my race clearly.

• Peace Respect Love and Prosperity October 26, 2013 at 4:24 am

The majority of the Denials for visas is not fair. Very plain and simple Not fair.

• Peace Respect Love and Prosperity October 26, 2013 at 4:38 am

Oh and let me add this comment as well. Why is it that
    anyother country besides Africa has is easier to get a visa? Why is
    it that whites can come here and stay so easily? & so why
    is it soo complicated sometimes impossible for Nigerians to get
    that same respect and treatment? So the disrespectful comments
    putting down Nigerians calling them scumbs and whatever else…..
    please go wash your month with horse s*** they deserve the same
    respect guidlines in the visa process but it’s clearly not the
    case.

• Apero. October 30, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Hmmmm speechless. I reserve my comment.

• Tracy Charles November 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Hello,I applied for the Canadian study permit I have been called for medicals and I have done it for over two – three months now and still haven’t gotten any response, what do you guys think might be the problem

• AUtria November 30, 2013 at 5:56 am

hello house i greet u all.,i am SAM a Nigerian..i am planing to move to Austria by December please can any one help me with my Visa assistance ,please email me at samuelsnize@yahoo.com

• AUtria November 30, 2013 at 5:57 am

i need Austria visa..any agent in the house,my email is samuelsnize@yahoo.com

• adedipe oketola felicia March 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm

it is tue i applied fot america visa twice and they didnt give because of their useless thought tha i will not come back.is it a crime to go and visit somebody country

• adedipe oketola felicia March 14, 2014 at 9:18 pm

• adekoya adekunle amos April 7, 2014 at 2:55 pm

if you refuse someone a visa, return the visa fee to strengthen your pride and reputation as a world class economy. am sure you guys give visa on quota base system and anything aside that you refuse bluntly irregardless of any documentation. i had traveled to other countries and i was rudely refuse an American visa on the note that i had no strong tie to my country where i have three children, one wife, lived in my own house, got my car and am gainfully employed. she did not ask anything pertaining to my tie to my home country before concluding and telling me she was sorry am not eligible. eligible my foot! rubbish!

• Dont be Haste July 14, 2014 at 9:28 am

Consulars are acting on the preference given to them. Imagine a superior Nigerian Uniform personeel booked an interview to attend security conference in Gorgia denied visa for the excuse of not having a tie in Nigeria. Has his employment with his caliber not enough to bring him back? Well, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Its Nigerian Government or so called Ambassador are to rise up against the task.
    America or no American, I will never beg to visit any country.