Posted on Tuesday, November 20th, 2012 at 8:46 AM

By Adeola Adeyemo

On an almost regular basis, we hear news of wives seeking dissolution of their marriages on grounds of domestic violence and maltreatment from their husbands. On the other hand, reading news of a husband seeking for divorce from a wife who maltreats him isn’t so common.

On Monday 19th November 2012, a 32-year-old trader, Sunday Olagoke,  pleaded with the Grade ‘B’ Customary Court, Orile- Agege , Lagos to dissolve his 16-year-old marriage, alleging maltreatment by his wife. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that he told the court he wanted dissolution based on “threat to life, constant fighting, lack of care and absence of love”.

The report further stated that he testified in tears that his wife, Christianah, treated him like a slave, ruined his business and did not respect his family.

“My wife does not cook for me, the worst is that she beats me whenever I confront her. She behaves like a man and I was scared of her all through the period we were together. We had no issue together, we lived like cat and mouse and she eventually left the house a year ago without telling me. I really suffered in her hands; I was the wife while she was the husband. But I thank God it is now over,” he said.

The trader, told the court that his wife ruined his business before she left him.

“I taught her how to trade, I made her my accountant and she ruined my business. I do not know where she took my money to, she owed many people money in my name. I heard she is now married to another man and I want the court to dissolve the marriage so that I will be free from her bondage.”

The Court President, Mr. Joseph Adewusi, told the petitioner to maintain the peace and adjourned the case till November 29 for judgment.

Domestic violence has been the cause of break up of many marriages and it is sad that it is not only a trend, but that it is manifested in different forms. What are your thoughts on this story? Have you heard of any marriage where a wife beats her husband? What could be the cause?

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

• Custom Search
  • 17 Comments on ““My wife beats me when I ask for food” – Man Seeks Divorce from Wife over Alleged Maltreatment & Lack of Care”

Comments
    • Nairaoffer November 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

domestic violence at large… !! The man need help

• Ginika November 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Shyaiiiii! Odikwa risky ooo!

Some women, can mold you by just standing next to you. Dont mess witht them h’at h’all!

• Ginika November 20, 2012 at 8:59 AM

When a woman, goes cold…. that is disaster. A lack of compassion and kindness can be dangerous (may our hearts never grow cold in Jesus name, amen)

• giggy November 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

married for 16 years and he’s 32? hmmmmm……. domestic violence is taking another dimension these days. God help us

• Jossey November 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Na wa oh… God help us from the troubles of marriage.

• extemy November 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

abi married for 16 yrs n ur 32 yrs…who r u deceivin n u r a man!

• Fashionbabe November 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Everything don dey vex na oo! Abeg, ladies make una take em easy o. ‘This is men on the run’ part 2. Women don turn actor by fire by force. lol

• Fashionbabe November 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Ebi like say the man no dey bring moni na e make the wife deny him of food o.lol

• Purpleicious Babe November 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I think violence is a big deal and anyone that is controlled by it can do anything…. it as if the beast in them comes out or they are overpowered by one. I like to think (assume) that their sanity is over taken hence the inability to sense/think and be rationale. so whether man or woman it is an issue.

People need to deal with the roots of the issue.

It just so happens his case seems to be funny…lol.. But i bet they are grown men scared of their wives and their capabilities.

• nsidibe or Godson November 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM

See let me go striaght to de point Mr man send her back tm their parent dat tin is a cause if u get children na so dey will copy sorry to say dis maybe her mother de tread him father like dat but i want u 2 show her u are de want married her not her married u . Sent her away went 1 door close another door open, even do she is dey most beautiful woman sent her packing, unless she is dey 1 dat giv u life . If u people hav pinkin if she 1 carry dey pinkin make shhe carry u will go hey regular 2 visit ur pikin my man God will help u out

• lol November 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM

my issue here is did u marry at 17 ni bcuz at 32 married for 16years i don’t get derz smtin wrong wiv dis story

• Dayo November 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Without condoning violence, any grown man that cannot get his own food deserved to be (tongue) lashed! SMDH

• Partyrider November 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

But wait,the guy is 32 and they’ve been married for 16years , so he got married when he was 16yrs old? I don’t understand ..oh well

The court should kindly grant his request. Such a shame!

• iamfascinating November 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM

hmmn, doesnt really add up,

• jyde November 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM

There is no way on this earth im gonna allow my wife to flog me.YEYE MAN Which kind of love juju dem take hole u sef.You no even get shame b4 u go court talk am make people hear.Haba dis na real injustice i beg.God i pray make love no turn me into foolish woman wrappa O. Imagine going home to collect beating from your wife.?As if life no hard reach 4dis world.You get luck say she no kill you.GOD DEY.Dat no mean say make u come dey beat any woman wey follow u O.

• jyde November 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I bin forget sha i bin wan ask d guy wetin en wife dey do am if en ask for sex,since food na flogging offence,to get grovvy must be capital punishment.I can see all you women wey dey clap hand since na woman dey suffer pass at man hand.I wonder wetin go make woman beat man like dat.Ebe like say sometin dey wey bobo never talk.How e go just stand and collect slap without complaint.I bgo begin ask woman if dem like boxing from now on,just in case.
      Dis nijah na wa, E pass me O.

• Joyce December 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Take it like a man! Women have for centuries. It is 21st century and women have the strength to kick ass. If you don’t want the beating, obey your wife. Keep in mind your wows, love, honor and obey! Women now fight back, if you are man enough to fight her defend yourself, otherwise, just be a bitch and listen and obey, you will not get ass kicking but love from her.