James Mwangi, CEO of Equity Bank Kenya named Forbes Africa 2012 Person of the Year | Beat Dangote, Elumelu & Others to Clinch the Award
Posted on Friday, November 30th, 2012 at 9:26 AM
By Adeola Adeyemo
James Mwangi, the CEO of Equity Bank, Kenya has been named the 2012 Forbes Africa Person of the Year by Forbes Magazine. Mwangi beat four other nominees to earn the honour during a ceremony held last night in Lagos.
Dr Mwangi was honored for playing a central role in making Equity Bank the largest bank in East and Central Africa, with more than seven million accounts in Kenya alone. He has also played a crucial role in ensuring banking services, including loans, are available to low income people who previously have in the past been left out of banking services.
Here’s what the judges had to say about him:
“Mwangi is an example of what it means to make it and to overcome the enormous challenges facing the average person in Africa. His influence and contribution to society, in a difficult environment, is significant.”
The other nominees shortlisted for the award include Nigeria’s Aliko Dangote – Africa’s richest man and Tony Elumelu – Founder and Chairman of Heirs Holding; Joyce Banda (President of Malawi) and Stephen Saad - Co-founder of the Aspen Pharmacare.
What are your thoughts on the winner of the 2012 Forbes Africa Person of the Year?
Tags: aliko dangote, Equity Bank, Forbes Africa Person of the Year, Forbes Magazine, James Mwangi, Joyce Banda, Stephen Saad, Tony Elumelu
- Who Will Be the Forbes Africa Person of the Year 2012? Nigeria’s Aliko Dangote & Tony Elumelu make the Final Shortlist
- Forbes publishes Inaugural List of the 40 Richest People in Africa – Aliko Dangote ranked No 1, Mike Adenuga, Jim Ovia, Oba Otudeko, Theophilus Danjuma, Hakeem Belo-Osagie, Abdulsamad Rabiu & Mohammed Indimi on the list
- Top Nigerian Banker & Philanthropist Tony Elumelu Covers the June 2012 Issue of Forbes Africa
- Nigerian Billionaire Oil Tycoon, Folorunsho Alakija replaces Oprah Winfrey as the World’s Richest Black Woman – Ventures Africa
- President Goodluck Jonathan hosts the Super Eagles at a Special Reception | Presents them with National Honours, Plots of Land & Money
- Genevieve Nnaji, OC Ukeje, Funke Akindele & Kalu Ikeagwu Make the 2013 Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards Nominees List | First Photos from the Announcement in Lagos
- BN Exclusive: Ini Edo, Chidi Mokeme, Uche Jombo, Julius Agwu, Genevieve Nnaji, Omoni Oboli & More at the Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards Nominees Announcement in Lagos | Photos
- “Africa’s Richest Man” Aliko Dangote gets quizzed by 4 young & enterprising Africans on MTV Base Meets…with MTN – Watch the Episode Here
- “Africa’s Richest Man” Aliko Dangote Covers the May Issue of Forbes Africa
- Aliko Dangote Tops Forbes Africa’s 40 Richest List – 11 Other Nigerian Business Moguls, including Mike Adenuga, Folorunsho Alakija, Hakeem Belo-Osagie & Jim Ovia also Make the List