Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: The 2012 Ball Drop

As my eyes flickered open this morning, the thought that popped into my head was the last one that was settled in it before I went to bed: Tonight, some people will go and stand in the cold at Times Square to usher in the New Year.  I burrowed deeper into my duvet as if to reassure my body that I wasn’t going to subject it to any extremities because it was the last day of the year.

Being the lazy bugger that I am and have always been, New Year’s eve has never been my favourite time of the year! It always involves being out of bed at an unholy hour. However, it was the norm to pray into the new year and thank God for seeing you through the past year and it’s also a time for ***drum roll*** RESOLUTIONS!

It’s that one day when you swear to get rid of all the physical, emotional and psychological junk in your life. Surely, nature abhors a vacuum so you pledge to fill in the space with all the good things you want. Lofty goals are set, great plans are made and with a sense of self-assuredness, you step into the new year (which is basically the following day but we need to do this for great dramatic effect!) Anyway, you find that you make all these nice promises under bright shiny lights and the beautiful display of light, love and happiness, but something happens.

January begins to unfold and people start taking down the Christmas lights, your bills start coming in and the full effect of the holiday splurge is setting in both on your wallet and your mid-riff. Then you find that it’s more difficult to meet those goals set under the euphoria of the bright lights. So what do you do? If you’re the typical Nigerian by the first week in March you’re saying “Wo, I can’t kill myself abeg!” and it’s down the slippery slope again.

I’ve given up on making resolutions of my own. From vowing to stop the consumption of rice, to getting myself a man, to growing 3 inches taller and failing at all times, I’ve resigned myself to the wonderful arms of fate, my favorite song being “Que Sera Sera”. I can only say that every year I say to myself, it’s just another day on the calendar and I’d do what I strive to do on other days… live, love, be fulfilled and try and bring joy to people around me. It doesn’t matter if it’s the 4th of June or the 29th of August. I’ll just be me, be happy, remember that I have just one life and there’s a purpose for which I’ve been placed on earth.

So, whatever you do today; how ever you choose to spend your new year, make sure you’re happy, and you’re doing what you want to do, when and how you want to do it.  And if you have to spend New Year’s eve at Times Square, make sure you keep warm!

Oh! don’t forget to share your most memorable resolutions and if you’re a champ and you’ve stuck to them, please tell us how you did it! Also, share how and where you’ll be spending the last day of 2012!

Peace, love and cupcakes!

Toodles!

P.s! Watch this video from last year’s New Year’s eve.

Photo credit: encarnasanmiguel.orgfree.com

7 Comments on Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: The 2012 Ball Drop
  • Mimi December 31, 2012 at 11:10 am

I don’t make resolutions, never had but rather i pray to God for direction to go through the year one day at a time……….. Happy New Year ya all

• Abana December 31, 2012 at 11:19 am

I am going to be sleeping tonight. Amen!

• adenike December 31, 2012 at 11:50 am

I don’t make new year resolutions either – I see them as ‘to-do lists to for the first 2wks in January’. That being said,a good part today would be spent at work, then head to church much later in the evening, get back home in due time cos I’ve got to be at work as early as 7am tomorrow morning.

PS: Thanks Bella Naija for being part of my 2012 – you inspired me all the way,you guys are more than amazing. And also to everyone that took their time to post inspiring comments – you sure have no idea how they worked for me. May God be with you all. May we all have a productive/successful 2013.
    X

• Nkan be December 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I don’t believe in new year resolutions,never worked for me.i believe you don’t have to wait till a new year starts before making changes. Resolutions to any stage in someone’s life make the beginning of a new year.

• Dammie December 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I made just one resolution beginning of 2012 and that was to finish reading the bible in one year and I am proud to say I did it and even finished reading the bible before the end of November. It was not easy o because there were days I missed or forgot 2 read but when next I read,I just start from where I stopped and continue to where I was supposed to be…..I think d key to resolutions if you make any or are in the habit of making any and not been able to meet up with it by the second week of the January as someone said is to just keep your resolutions to yourself,don’t talk about it to anyone and just go from there. I say this because it worked for me and I know the sky is only my starting point not my limit. Also want to wish everyone an awesome 2013,God’s blessings,long life and prosperity,have a great one.

• Somebody’s Pikin December 31, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I’m an ex-believer of making new year resolutions (to say the least) bt as the years have passed by and I’ve grown older (and hopefully wiser) I’ve realised that new year resolutions don’t mean jack man!!!! All I neew to do is remain focused to achieve my aims! With the kinda person I am, I always end up never achieving any of my resolutions! No matter what they are!! Now all I do is set goals and try to achieve then! No matter when, where, or how!

• Somebody’s Pikin December 31, 2012 at 3:56 pm

*need *them……typooooo’s men! Always tryna mess up my flow! Smh!