The Nigerian Professor who was widely reported to have found the cure for HIV/AIDS a few days ago has recanted his claim. In a five-paragraph statement, Professor Isaiah Ibeh, Dean, School of Basic Medical Science of University of Benin (UNIBEN) expressed regrets over the publication of his acclaimed discovery of a drug that could cure HIV/AIDS, saying that the publication was a misrepresentation of what actually transpired.

The true position is that some observations of our Research are preliminary and the research is still ongoing. I am very sorry for the embarrassment this has caused the University of Benin and Professional Colleagues, realizing that there are procedures of reporting such Scientific result,” he said.

Authorities of the University had earlier debunked the claim made by the Professor in an official pronouncement saying the University was not carried along in the research and the Professor did not follow due process.

In another development, the National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has begun a probe into Professor Ibeh’s claim that he had discovered a herbal drug capable of curing AIDS. The Director-General of NAFDAC, Dr. Paul Orhii, told Punch on  Thursday that the agency had invited Ibeh to prove his claim. He warned members of the public against buying the drug because it had not been subjected to standard scientific protocols.

He said the don was wrong going public, saying it was the duty of the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, to make the announcement after tests by NAFDAC.

The agency wishes to state that this herbal drug, which he claimed to have undergone a series of successful tests, has never been presented to NAFDAC for evaluation of efficacy and safety.”

“This bogus claim of efficacy without following the appropriate procedure for drug evaluation is capable of misleading the public, especially those that have HIV/AIDs infection as there is no known official or scientifically proven cure for HIV/AIDS infection till date,” he was quoted as saying.

34 Comments on UNIBEN Professor Isaiah Ibeh Recants his HIV/AIDS Cure Discovery | NAFDAC Warns Against Buying the Drug
  • Tosin January 11, 2013 at 9:37 am

I smell threats here,they have probably threatened the Professor,Naija we hail thee,lets help each other make progress!!!

• pynk January 11, 2013 at 12:05 pm

In Nigeria we dont even need scriptwriters to give us drama. We just have loonies everywhere. SOap opera tings.

• adex January 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm

who’s kidding who?

• Nwoguji Abel O January 11, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Why is that Nigerians doesnt like new inventions. The major they ought to do was to try in knowing the eficacy of that drugs than criticising it. May God save us from fraudulent leaders.

• LOLBOY January 11, 2013 at 6:58 pm

True talk, them don threaten him life tire… God help us!!!

• Stryker January 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Why can’t nigerians cultivate encouragement rather than critisism? If he wasn’t a nigerian,he would have been given credit.

• Godwin Japhet January 12, 2013 at 8:16 am

I must candidly express my unhappen feelings over the attitudes of Nigeria ranging from the president down to a common man. It’s a pity that Nigeria is such an anti-progress society; why can’t the so called ‘NAFDAC’ who have failed us for several years which we have had fake drugs try to test the discovered drug and know its efficay and if at all there is any side effect? Well, from my candid view, this officials of NAFDAC are jealous of this professor and even the Nigerian government is corrupt asuch they do not want to admit this discovery. This may be because; they are making money from the HIV antiretroviral drugs which do not cure HIV but only inhibit its (HIV) destructive activities.

• weke chembarline January 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Prof. please be strong and face what ever challenges Nigerians are coming up with. I am very sure that you ment well for all.

• peaceto January 13, 2013 at 6:36 am

why wil nigerians b doin like dis? Is it wrong if nigeria discovers h.i.v cure? Must it b only d u.s.a nd britain dat wil discover everythin? I smel a rat in dis nafdac pronouncement, nafdac shud v tried to test d so called efficacy first b4 condeming d prof. He shud b encouraged so dat other profs. Wil emulate him nd go into reseach… I bliv nigerians n so called nafdac are afraid of d u.s.a or dy hav bin bribed to denounce d pronouncement so dat dy only wil invent evri tin…curupt ppo.

• Roy Matthew January 13, 2013 at 10:25 am

I wonder why wont Nigeria, the Federal govt and the senate support this scientist who is about to make history……….oh, i know why……jealousy….they themselves have NOT achieved any academic or intellectual record.

• Prof. January 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

Am sure dat Prof.Isaiah Ibeh wil vindicate at last…instead 4 us 2 encourage him.but we proceed into redicule him.Which kind stupid country and leaders ar we having self…..

• ogags January 13, 2013 at 11:29 am

U guys should chill out,its not about the threat if a cure was discovered,there is a procedure not just going out and announcing when he knew there was no verification

• Turayo Tijani January 13, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Can you all calm down. All you have typed so far is the reason NAFDAC made this announcement. They are going to test it in order to prove that it does what it aims to do—all to protect the public. Nigerians sef

• lotanna January 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

its kinda stupid d way they’re criticising him.
    Scientists overseas would invite him to prove his discovery and even sponsor him.
    our leaders would end up being so sluggish till universities abroad would invite him and keep him there forever, the way Philip Emeagwali is now a permanent resident in the USA.
    God Bless Naija.

• muyo January 14, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Why are we talking like this? Doesn’t this country have leaders who would safeguard the health of the nation? Are there not laid down rules for every conduct? Every drug is subjected to analysis before it is circulated. Have we forgotten that NAFDAC checks even imported drugs? We understand that some of us need such drugs to reverse our condition of HIV infection and the attendant syndrome, but no one impatiently consumes scorchingly hot soup. We should be careful lest a cure become another curse through the side effect of unscrutinized drugs. Professor,I salute your mental prowess and laud your achievement but I will enjoin you to allow the transition between scientific hypothesis, theory and law run its course.Once again Prof,I doff my cap for you.

• osas harry January 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Let’s look into dis matter verry well before doin anything or is it becos he is a nigerian dats y we are hidding d cure?

• ebaco January 18, 2013 at 7:09 am

if he is being freigtned we can make the diference making this
    informatio go more public on facebook, comments on bbc, cnn, times website. lets tell everyone, every day, in all news websites that there is this nigerian professor and his descover,

• ayo ojo January 18, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Typical Nigerians are EXPERTS in all fields outside their hometurfs. It is again the time of ”
    All kinds of knives at the death of an elephant”. Nothing portrays and give away the level of our backwardness and illitracy ranking than when ALL are Experts in every field. Regretably this has NOT ranked our country among those making waves in scientific breakthroughs. Soon many super coaches will come to the gallery when the AFCONS kicks off in South Africa Saturday 19.

• om January 26, 2013 at 7:48 am

Dr.if you discovered such hiv curative medicine then please tell it to media with proof.just think about the patients who will die any time.please please make the medicine available for whole world.

• Orode Franklyn January 26, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Let d truth be told.d prof did not follow proper protocol.

• joshua January 27, 2013 at 5:32 am

pls wot NAFDAC wnts 2 do is called quality assurance nd control so lets gv dm sme breathing space.

• IBRAHIM DELE March 1, 2013 at 11:27 am

nigeria is a agreat nation. however,our greatest undoing is inadequate support of one another. pls, let us change.

• Ayoola Ojo March 23, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I do not understand how things are done in Nigeria, even so called professionals do not follow professional protocols, things are just done anyhow….quite unfortunate.

• Justina March 25, 2013 at 10:40 am

I think a nafdac are only doing there job. Sinse there is a procedure for publishing the drug, i think the nafdac is right

• Oyerinde April 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Wc protocol are we still waiting for. If this nation has been following protocols in all ramification of life, we wouldn’t hv been a crawling nation like dis. This man has done something centuries to come wouldnt hv forgotten. In my own opinion, i tot so called NAFDAC shld hv subjected d drug to proper scrutinization and see d efficacy of d drug and tell the public whether the claim is right or wrong instead of criticizing this man. The truth is still hidden now n dat is what they wanted. But i know some day dat dis drug will thrive n it will be a silence to dis unsrupulous people dat we call leaders. Well done Professor, we are proud of you.

• Oyerinde April 18, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Wc procedure are we still waiting for. If this nation has been following procedures in all ramification of life, we wouldn’t hv been a crawling nation like dis. This man has done something centuries to come wouldnt hv forgotten. In my own opinion, i tot that the so called NAFDAC shld hv subjected d drug to proper scrutinization and see d efficacy of d drug and tell the public whether the claim is right or wrong instead of criticizing this man. The truth is still hidden now n dat is what they wanted. But i know some day dat dis drug will thrive n it will be a silence to dis unsrupulous people dat we call leaders. Well done Professor, we are proud of you.

• Adeboyekun Gbenga Samuel April 23, 2013 at 10:07 am

A country where all the rulers are liers, so therefore is not possible 4 them to believe u are right.No any encouragement but discouragement. how will how scientist develop when no resources and even the ones dat discorver are called liers because of this country situation i regret being a science student

• annie April 24, 2013 at 7:24 pm

help me thank Dr samoda for what he has done in my life, i never think of being alive today if it wasn’t for his help and i am so happy to let the world know that spell from Dr samoda really worked well for me so i will advice anybody having HIV AIDS should contact him now in other for you to gain your health and your physical strenght back and if you have any problem or having symptoms you should contact him now okay.. you can contact him now at for help….

• frank April 30, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Who Dr samoda please,somebody needs help

• Akeem May 2, 2013 at 5:59 pm

When Nigerians start developing confidence in our locally made drugs and scientists?

• Rafa Torres September 14, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Wondered someday, why the scientists don’t dead of hiv aids?, the answer is easy, they have the medicine for hiv aids, but they hidden totally it.
    a hundred of persons knows about the existence actually of cure for hiv aids.
    but a group of genocidals in the world called “scientists” and pharmacists ,
    are hidding the medicine of hiv -aids by long time.
    for that is necesary a research for find guilts and they will be judges the scientists and big pharmacists for genocidals, because now they are killinng millons and millons of people in the world.
    these “assumptions scientists” receive billons of money of pharmacists only for hide the medicine for hiv. and sale only POISSONS called inhibitors or antiretrovirals.
    the judged in the world must investigate about this group of “genocidals” called “scientists” and execute death penalty join to international pharmacists.
    Hitller, Pinochet, Pol pott, “scientists” and international pharmacists are genocidals in the world.
    Is also known that they hide large amounts of virus in laboratories
    the world ask penalty of dead of genocidals scientists and pharmacists.

• daglas November 5, 2013 at 3:11 am

My name Douglas dash from England, Oxford,UK …HIV has
    been ongoing in my family for long..I lost both parents to HIV and
    it is so much pain have not been able to get over. As we all know
    medically,there is no solution or cure for HIV and the cost for
    Medication is very expensive..Someone introduced me to a man(Native
    Medical Practitioner)in oxford..I showed the man all my Tests and
    Results and i told him have already diagnosed with HIV and have
    spent thousands of dollars on medication..I said i will like to try
    him cos someone introduced me to him..He asked me sorts of
    questions and i answered him correctly..To cut the story short,He
    gave me some medicinal soaps and some herbs(have forgot the name he
    called them) and he thought me how am gonna use them all..At first
    i was skeptical but i just gave it a try..I was on his Medication
    for 2 weeks and i used all the soaps and herbs according to his
    prescription.. that he will finish the rest himself..and i called
    him 3 days after, i arrived and i told him what is the next
    thing..he said,he has been expecting my call.. he told me to visit
    my doctor for another test..Honestly speaking,i never believe all
    he was saying until after the test when my doctor mention the
    statement that am, HIV negative and the doctor started asking me
    how do i do it….Am telling this story in case anyone may need
    this man his email is: Dr Oyekpen here is via email address
    (droyekpenspelltemple@outlook.com) Thanks Regard……. Good
    Luck…

• Dr.Oyekpen January 5, 2014 at 8:45 am

Hi,Dr.Oyekpen I heard of your remedies and I to is HIV positive and I will appreciate your opinion on what can cure me.please respond at cingram0613@gmail.com

• Carolyn January 5, 2014 at 8:52 am

Hello Dr.Oyekpen I am HIV positive and I heard of your remedies I will appreciate any advice you can give me.I thank you in advance.