Posted on Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 at 5:49 AM

By Adeola Adeyemo

The Super Eagles of Nigeria kicked off their participation at the 29th African Cup Of Nations (AFCON) taking place in South Africa yesterday evening with a draw. The expectations were high, nerves were tense, but the team only managed to square a draw in their match against Burkina Faso.

Nigerian striker, Emmanuel Emenike, scored the opening goal for Nigeria in the 23rd minute, raising hopes for Nigerians. However, just when Nigerians were about to claim victory, Alain Traore of Burkina Faso scored the equalizing goal in the 94th minute.

Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi put up a bold face during the post match press conference claiming his players did not do too badly even as a they conceded a last minute goal against Burkina Faso.

I’m very proud of the boys, they did everything that I wanted them to do, and for the last 25 days it is the fourth game we played together as a team because we are building, I’m just gonna let everything die down tonight, let them sleep off and tomorrow I will pick it up if I have to go in the middle of the night I will do that, this game is gone and I will prepare them for the game against Zambia,Sahara Reporters quoted him as saying.

Nigeria will now have to beat Zambia in the group’s next fixture on Friday to keep hopes alive of advancing to the next stage.

We wish the team the very best at the competition and hope for victory.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 7 Comments on “Super Eagles of Nigeria Kick Off with a Draw at AFCON 2013 | Concede Last Minute Goal against Burkina Faso”

Comments
    • Beckly January 22, 2013 at 6:12 AM

It was an impressive game….the eagles went on a defence @ the last moment,but moved out on a chase of scoring the B.Faso,the reverse bcame the case. We thank God,they are informed. Up S.EAGLES

• Cold truth January 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM

You’re right bro, they played so badly that I kinda was thinking what the hell has Keshi been doing as head coach? Just in the name of regrouping. F- that shit!!! No passion, no courteousness.. Nothing! They realistically displayed what an underdog is. F-ing losers ( technical crew) … S- gat worse instead!

• DAN January 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

THEY TRY BUT OUR DEFENCE MAKE A MISSTAKE.

• Eugenia January 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I think Keshi should wake -up. play d right people in their rightful positions without sentiment….

• Rhal-trina January 22, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Why did ambrose Kaitarize us yesterday?

• Ejiro January 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM

The Super eagle did play to some extent well. I washed the match i saw poor officiating fromthe ref. I really do not know why no one seems to be looking the game from that direction. Look at the Red card given was it worth it? The coach should look at Echijile’s position. That was weak position the bukinababes capitalised on the coach failed to acknowledge that. He should work on him or replace him in our next match

• Francis Kyne. November 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

We need 2 do more than this,thnx 4 making us proud.