In my young mind, Mile 12 market in Lagos was synonymous with unending baskets of fresh tomatoes and pepper. It was the market to go for fresh farm produce in wholesale quantities.

But, what really makes Mile 12 market the thriving commercial hub that it is? It is the men and women who are constantly on the grind. It is the strive, the hustle to work as hard as their physical strength can allow them.

Lagos-based photographer, Bayo Omoboriowo, in his documentary ‘Hustle on A Mile gets into the market and talks to the people who make their livelihood from the Mile 12 market.

Enjoy!

27 Comments on The Pulse of Mile 12 Market in Lagos! Watch Bayo Omoboriowo’s Documentary “Hustle on a Mile”
  • Sonia February 11, 2013 at 11:09 am

Wonderful! So inspiring.
    But what did he say he wanted to study in Uni again? I did not get that part lol

• MKM February 11, 2013 at 11:51 am

I think he said politics.

• Kola S February 11, 2013 at 1:31 pm

It sounds like “I want to study only how to teach…”. It’s supported by the fact that he says he wants to help his people become educated and help the illiterates.

• Omo Jesu February 11, 2013 at 2:10 pm

he said he wants to learn how to teach

• God bless my country! February 11, 2013 at 11:56 am

seeing this vid makes me appreciate my blessings.i don’t think i’d lasted a day if i was in their situation.May God continue to bless all the hardworking people in Nigeria.it breaks my heart seeing how people are suffering just to make ends meet.you are the true heroes of our time!much respect!

• HEPHZIBAH February 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm

God continue to bless their hussle. This brought tears to my eyes. I especially admire his stance on self dignity, and respect for hardwork. Good job Bayo Omoboriowo! Good job!!

• kickpolio February 11, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Very touching and inspiring..I had to share it with my younger brother right away so he understands the privileges he has and to know what young men his age are doing to survive….what can we say…May the Almighty Allah bless Sani and all the youths of this country who would rather work hard than resort to criminal lifestyles… Amin..

• Peachy_mo February 11, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I was always in awe of mile 12 market. I grew up listening to aunts and cooks talking about what they had purchased at mile 12, how cheap and fresh it was, how far it will take them e.t.c. and I fantasize about visiting this heavenly market of fresh cheap produce. I had the imagine of a foreign food market…stalls in neat rolls, people looking fresh and happy, exchanging banters and kids running around stall. Only last year did I have the privilege of visiting my “dream market” with an aunt. The first shocker I got was when I had to rent a rubber boot before entering the market! not only that, my feet had to be wrapped in a black nylon before entering the boot…I was waohed. The curtain was finally lifted from my face, from then, I saw Iya Beeji alata, mama elefo and mallo the orange seller 0n my street in a new light. Many respect to these people who hustle everyday in dire conditions to bring necessities to us in our comfort zone. But one thing didn’t change from my “dream market”…they are happy people exchanging banters and very good customer service! ironic isn’t it? If people in such position and condition can be hopeful, positive and optimistic about each day, who are we to even think of throwing in the towel? I learnt a refined definition of hope…everything good will come.

• Que February 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

The best thing for me is seeing his drive to preserve his dignity…..There is certainly dignity in labour once u’re not trying to live beyond ur means, God bless his hustle, Bayo’s hustle and all Lagosians pushing it daily, and doing legit hustling both big n small… May our labour bear sufficient fruit always, Ami.. Beautiful Documentary!!

• rola February 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm

@peachy mo truly everything good will surely come. i had the privilege to visit mile 12 as a teenager with my mum.As we grew into adulthood ,agreeing to go shopping with her in mile 12 gave u extras of many things @home , i was always and i am still thrilled by the happiness i see in the workers and the joy in the environment. I salute the guy’s pursuit of dignity and pray they all find fulfillment in all spheres of life.

• tomeloma February 11, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Bayo..God bless your hustle, really inspirational documentary, makes you appreciate the opportunities you have in life

• 5’5 February 11, 2013 at 6:23 pm

this reminds me of Welcome to Lagos as done by the BBC. shows the same indefatigable spirit and how they triumph over Poverty, tribalism and how they embrace love and their situations. very inspiring. We all can learn a lot from this. See how he didn’t one time cast aspersions at the government? because he realises that there is so much the Government can do.

• peye February 13, 2013 at 1:06 am

I agreed with the you on that hundred percent. I was telling someone all the aspects of Nigeria that’s working well are those areas where government consciousness is low. The music industry for example and Hollywood.

• Myne Whitman February 11, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Great job Bayo, well done :)

• lilly February 12, 2013 at 6:57 am

wow!!! this showed me how to thank God of my life even though it is not perfect

• Adedayo February 12, 2013 at 8:09 am

God bless our hustle and the works of our hands!

Amen! Amin!

• Chidinma February 12, 2013 at 9:01 am

Very very inspiring. I admire your creativity. Hope this encourages us to appreciate the privileges we have and keep striving to be the best. Seed thou a man diligent in his work,he will stand before kings and not mere men.

• nnenne February 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

like Peachy said, i respect the women who bring these food stuff to our convenience. for someone like me who doesn’t really like going to the market, i salute the women who sometimes even go with their babies strapped at their backs in order to make a livelihood. it’s not easy! i hail all the hustlers doing sth legit rather than resorting to the seemingly easy way out. God bless your hustle! Baba god, i might not have a tenth of what i desire to have yet but i just want to say thank you for the lil you have blessed me with. Bless the works of our hands oh Lord. Well done Bayo, more grease to your elbows.

• nnenne February 12, 2013 at 10:03 am

*God*

• uby February 12, 2013 at 10:29 am

God bless their labour.

• esther February 12, 2013 at 10:32 am

i was moved to tears when i saw this video….i cant stop appreciating GOD for how far he has brought me even till now….if u think you re going through a lot ,there are others out there that are going through worse situations than your mind can even phantom …MAY GOD BLESS OUR HUSTLES

• Joshua February 12, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Waohhh!!!! Mile 12, How did i miss going to this market oo??? I love the positive attitude of Aminu Sanni, God bless him and all hustlers. Funny part- where the lady almost upset Sanni wt her N350 (Does that reaction from Sanni indicate that you have the best bargain?).
    What’s ringing in my head now is how to automate some of these tasks….and how to stop peeps from wrapping their legs and wearing rubber boots…..deep sighs
    Great work Bayo and BellaNaija…

• Honourable. February 12, 2013 at 11:15 pm

What a touching video. I pray for God to bless me financially So I can help the less priviledged.

• splendour February 12, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Bayo ds is wonderful! Kudos!

• tyna February 13, 2013 at 12:07 am

Well done Bayo!

• NNENNE February 13, 2013 at 4:00 am

There is dignity in labor. May our God continue to bless all the people out there hustling to earn an honest living everyday. You all are the real heroes.
    We need peace in Nigeria, so that other cities can open up for enterprise not just Lagos. Our infrastructure need to be spread around Nigeria,too. People rush to Lagos for employment because everything is located there being the former capital of Nigeria.

• BA February 15, 2013 at 2:40 pm

“Hustle on a Mile” has been shortlisted for the Afrinolly short film competition.(DOCUMENTARY CATEGORY) Please we need your votes to win. Kindly go to http://afrinollyshortfilmcompetition.com/vote.php and vote for #19. hustle on a mile. Thanks, please spread and share.