Celebrating Goldie’s Creativity! A Look Back at her Videos and Fearless Style

It was an ambiance of sobriety this morning as tragic news of the death of vivacious and daring Nigerian Singer, Goldie Harvey, hit the fan. The star unfortunately died after complaining of a brief headache after her return from the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on Thursday 14th February 2013. The Nigerian Music scene has truly lost an amazing singer who stood out from the rest and made herself a force to be reckoned with.

Goldie 1

Instead of focusing on the fact that we have lost such an amazing icon in the Nigerian Entertainment Industry, we have decided to celebrate the fact that we had her in the first place. Goldie was a daring and creative personality who was never timid in her style and always stood out on red carpets and award shows. Her performance in the Big Brother Africa “Star Game” house, where she won the hearts of so many people shot her to International heights and she will always remain there as well as in our hearts.

****

The style that we have come to know Goldie for started taking shape in 2008. She burst into the entertainment scene with her first song “Komole”

Goldie in 2008

Goldie in 2008

Just like her favourite musician who also has a controversial style, Madonna, Goldie started gaining recognition not just for her music, but for her style as well. Her video ‘You Know It’ featuring ElDee won The Best Video at the Sound City Awards in 2010 and also nabbed the NMVA  award for the Best Use of Costume that same year. This established her as serious competition and made ‘Goldie’ a name to look out for.

Goldie at the Guinness 250 launch in 2009

Goldie at the Guinness 250 launch in 2009

Goldie at the Airtel Africa Music Awards in 2010

Goldie at the Airtel Africa Music Awards in 2010

Goldie at the 2010 edition of NMVA

Goldie at the 2010 edition of NMVA

From then on her red carpet presence started to intensify and get more creative as Goldie started to come into her own. In 2011 we got a dose of her futuristic side. She wore this blue number to the 2011 Nigerian Music Video awards looking fierce. From 2011 it was clear that Goldie had found her style and it was not the norm. She loves to use bold make up blonde hair, eccentric fascinators and loud and shiny dresses. She was truly something different and special.

Goldie at the 2011 Nigerian Music Video Awards

Goldie at the 2011 Nigerian Music Video Awards

Miss Goldie Harvey at the 2011 Headies

Goldie Harvey at the 2011 Headies

Goldie at the Henessy Artistry Red Carpet in 2011

Goldie at the Henessy Artistry Red Carpet in 2011

Goldie at the Nigerian Music Video Awards 2012

Goldie at the Nigerian Music Video Awards 2012

Goldie’s creativity wasn’t limited to her red carpet style, they broke free in her photoshoots and music videos as well. Her eccentric sense of style and music turned her photo shoots to wonderful bursts of imagination and artistry that made her niche stand out.

The songstress’s style that can only be described in one word ‘out of this world’. She loved her fans so much that she came up with her very own custom made Zodiac calendar to be closer to the fans. The calendar shows the star in different outfits all symbolic to the various signs. When she was asked about her calendar she said “Since I believe in the stars, the movement of the planets and how it affects our environment, moods and eventually our personalities, I decided to create a Zodiac calendar because I want to share my perception of the zodiac signs and how it affects our personality traits with my fans…”

Here are the different pages from her Zodiac calendar;

Goldie went a step further in her innovation with her album covers. Her debut album “Gold” which featured hits like “Don’t Touch My Body“, “Jawo Jawo” and “You Know It” ft. ElDee had a very seductive and soft cover with Goldie covered in pearls.

Check out the Photo shots for the Album Cover:

Her Sophomore album was titled “Gold Reloaded“. It has an upbeat tempo through most of the songs but slows down towards the end to give a more toned and emotional finish. It shows the mind of a confident woman who is coming into her own in the world. The album also included bonus tracks “jawo jawo”, “Don’t Touch My Body” and “You Know It” from her first album.

Check out the Photo Shots from the Album Cover;

Goldie’s “Gold” and “Gold Reloaded” albums launched her career; her debut video “Komole” kicked it off. It was shot and released in the early 2000′s and the song was produced by OJB Jezreel before she was eventually signed on to KennisMusic where she built her career.

Watch her “Komole” video here:

Her debut album “Gold” which had hits: “Don’t touch My Body”, “You Know It” and “Jawo Jawo” brought more shine to the singer as she featured other entertainers such as Denrele and ElDee ‘the don’

Watch the “Don’t Touch My Body” Video Featuring ElDee Here;

Watch her “Jawo Jawo” video featuring Jaywon Here:

Watch her “You Know It” featuring ElDee Here:

Her “Gold Reloaded” album with tracks like “Say My Name” and the “You Know It” Remix was her last album but definitely her best work. The “Say My Name” Video featuring DJ Sose and Freeze is all about her and her ‘man’.

Check out all the behind the scenes footage here;

Goldie and Dj Sose

Watch the Video Here:

This year Goldie attended the 2013 Grammy Awards with her record label Kennis Music, after which we unfortunately lost her. She was working on her ‘African Invasion’ album with hits like ‘Skibobo’ featuring AY (Tanzania), ‘Miliki’ ft. NAVIO (Uganda) and ‘Give It To Me’ featuring J Martins.

Goldie 2013

Listen to ‘Give It To Me’ Feat. J Martins Here:

Listen to her “Miliki” track Here:

Watch her “Skibobo” video featuring AY

It’s unfortunate that we lost such and amazing and talented individual who helped the industry realise that it’s not a bad thing to be different. We will truly miss her. Our condolences to her family and friends. Rest In Peace Goldie!

61 Comments on Celebrating Goldie’s Creativity! A Look Back at her Videos and Fearless Style
  • nnenne February 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm

really creative. the only time i was mad at her was when she was @ BBA but we all got to see that that is really who she is and loved her for it. we can’t question God, rest in peace Goldie.

• Ajoke February 15, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Way too sad, gone too soon RIP Goldie.

• Yemy February 15, 2013 at 5:52 pm

RIP Goldie!

• Show some love February 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Didn’t realize how creative she was. Wow RIP Goldie. Life is transient. So sad

• Myne Whitman February 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm

She was such a creative woman, it shows through her dressing ideas and her music persona. May her soul rest in peace.

• Teefah (www.that1960chick.com) February 15, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Looking through pictures of her as I do some research for my site I am struck by how creative she was, she paid so much attention to her image and fashion it was unbelievable. Sadly like many only now am I realising this, Goldie served %150 fashion fierceness, her pictures were truly amazing and she was a beautiful woman. She wasn’t the greatest singer, and prior to her death the comments from a lot of readers were mostly negative, but she didn’t seem deterred by it, she pushed on, hustled to be heard, and for that I admire her.

And she worked that blonde hair!
    It’s sad that it takes death to appreciate someone..so sad
    Rest In Peace Oluwa Goldie.

• Mayor February 16, 2013 at 2:17 am

Well said. God rest her soul in HIS Bosom. Amen

• oSinakachi February 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Let us all while we re still alive make our Peace with God cos no man knoweth the time or the hour that christ shall come. Let us all submit to our maker bearing in mind Romans 8:1 therefore there’s no condemnation to those who are in christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh but after the SPirit.RIP Goldie

• Nan February 15, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Way too sad…….. RIP goldie, its a shame that it took your death for people (including me) to realize u were a huge talent!!!!! RIP girl…………..

• salsera February 15, 2013 at 6:48 pm

she really was creative for sure, her risks with fashion were so unusual. But i always loved her hair styles best and those fascinators with lace trims. Then her skin tone….correct

• chai February 15, 2013 at 7:09 pm

don’t wait for you to get severe headaches before you give your life to Christ. Do it now. I hope this young lady is in a better place. “I hope”

• Chris Ayo Joseph February 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

In my opinion, i think Goldie Might Have Died as a result of Blood Clot From Long Distance Flight. Whoever that was around her at that point when she slumped should have given her a thorough Heart Massage (10 Times), if that was done, i trust God that my Goldie will still be alive. We Nigerians sometimes are ignorant of little things. Anyway God Knows Best. Is just hard to say Goodbye to Yesterday. (Tears Drop) This is more than Crush… @Chris_ayojoseph

• Babydoc February 15, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Heart massage cures blood clot????

• Knut February 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm

And what is your profession? Pray tell…..

• DocDeola February 15, 2013 at 10:52 pm

A sudden headache usually signifies subarachnoid headache (hammer in the back of head pain) or burst aneurysm. These things happen quite quickly and even in the west, cause young people to die unless urgent neurosurgery is instituted. Even then it is touch and go. May God grant us good health, and long good lives, amen. Hope she enjoyed her time here on earth. Carpe Diem!

• Luther February 18, 2013 at 12:13 am

‘Subarachnoid hemorrhage’ you mean?

• gistyinka February 15, 2013 at 7:34 pm

rip to the late singer.. truly fashionasita….

gistyinka.com

• kemi February 15, 2013 at 7:43 pm

with a headache, that usually means it is a stoke. massaging her heart would do nothing. RIP. we need better health care in nigeria. people should not be dying like this atleast people should be taught how to take care of themselves and what do look for. we need to take of well people in nigeria not just sick people.

• Nneka February 15, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Our very own Lady Gaga…. RIP. You will be truly missed by many.

• lola February 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Sigh, she wasn’t one of my best artists but I respected her for her work and understood her personality for d soft person she was under d exterior from watching BBA, its so sad for someone so young and full of life,to pass on so suddenly, it brings our own mortality to stare us in the face, she left her mark on the sands of time and will be well remembered by family, friends,fans and people who weren’t even her fans, may she rest in peace and may her family and friends be given the fortitude to bear this loss! Rest on Goldie when your time is up your time is up!

• Bee Dazzler February 15, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I don’t know her, neither does she know me. i just read about her, talk and blog about her.

But honestly, i did cry when i heard the news of her death. She’s gone so soon. i wish i could question but who am i to. Only God knows the reason.

i just regret her death. I will miss her and am sure others will.
    Rest in peace Goldie

• Sweet February 15, 2013 at 8:22 pm

This is very sad, and suspicious was she poisoned in america ???? i mean her death was just too quick on arrival, this is not the first time she travel abroad.

• temmy February 15, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I wasnt one of her fans, but its hard to believe such a talented and creative girl is gone! RIP Goldie!!!

• House of ZINNO February 15, 2013 at 9:32 pm

You remain one of the best fashionistas…good night Goldie, will foreva love u.

• Lammie February 15, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Only God knows.. my heart is so heavy.. I dont know her but her songs I listen to them all from “You Know it” with El dee was my fave and now she is gone just like that. Oh God! so sad.. she was very creative and very talented. I never saw her on BB cause I heard way too much negative things then and I didnt want to spoil the creative image I had of her.. now she is gone.. Goldie Oluwabimpe you’ll be missed.. everywhere! Rest in Peace.

• poshilla! February 15, 2013 at 9:42 pm

@TEEFAH U ARE RIGHT SHE PAID SO MUCH ATTENTION TO HER IMAGE ,WHICH WAS WAT ATTRACTED ME TO HER EVN B4 BBA,@ SWEET MY THOUGHTS TOO,COULD IT BE SHE WAS POISONED IN AMERICA ? WE NEED AN AUTOPSY IN AS MUCH WE AFRICANS DNT BELIEV IN IT.COS WE ALL ALWAYS FEEL D CORPSE WONT BE D SAME!! DIS IS NT HER FIRST TIME OF =TRAVELLING.I LL ALWAYS LOVE U MA ‘BARBIE’ RIP 24K GOLDIE

• Mum Enoch February 15, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I couldn’t help myself crying this morning when I heard my Goldie is dead! Rest in peace Angel!

• Timma February 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

RIP. Goldie

• Wilhelmina D. Cooper February 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I’m deeply truly sadden by her death. I admire her creative and innovative side. She’s a fashion goddess, and she will be greatly missed by family, friends, & fans.

• Beediva February 15, 2013 at 11:09 pm

RIP to the beautiful talent. May her soul rest in peace. It could have been brain aneurysm (bleeding in the brain), which is very difficult to detect and let alone treat. I had a class mate that died from a brain aneurysm, she was perfectly ok, except complaining of few headaches here and there, until the day she slumped, fell and died. Smoking is a major contributing factor of this disease and can also be hereditary. Everyone should be careful of “these here and there headaches” attributed to stress. Please see a doctor often and if possible, please quit smoking. I know bad habits can be difficult to change, however with God and yourself, all is possible.

P.S: Shisha is worse than smoking. No one knows the next minute and what going to happen but you can prolong your life by not doing certain things that can cause early death.

• Oluchi February 15, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Lady Gaga of Nigeria,Wot a loss,May ur soul rest in peace GOLDIE

• AfroMerry February 15, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Very creative artist she was. Such a huge lost. May her soul rest in peace. And may God grant her family the strength to live through the pain and loss.

• jto February 16, 2013 at 12:11 am

ask illuminati, arrived from grammy na waa oooooo.

• Sara Adebayo February 16, 2013 at 1:04 am

So Sad!! we have to pay more attention to our health!! Do often general chexup… we pay too much attention on material things and neglect our health. I remember returning last year from Tunis from ABD and that was a long long flight from NYC-Frankfurt-Tunis.. my legs were all swollen and my heart was aching right after we landed.. when i tried to breath i felt chest pains ( like needles). I took aspirin and ignored it. The following day, I could not move like my heart was having the same needle chest pain. I was rushed to the ER.. and had EKG and X-rays.. they found water in my lungs and feet… due to the long travel. I was given Antibiotics and bed rest. My advice, when anyone is traveling long distance avoid salty food, or food rich in sodium, drink plenty of water three days before your trip. I have learned my lesson and never neglect your health. I travel all the time and i always stay away from salty food and food rich in sodium. RIP !! at least you died at home surrounded by people who love you most.. it could have been worst if you were overseas. May God bless you and accept you in his eternal kingdom. Amen!!

• Sbaby February 16, 2013 at 2:52 am

RIP Angel

• Sir chi February 16, 2013 at 5:39 am

Well some times it happens like magic cos its only our love one that use to left us behing an u can not Question the almight one MAY U FIND PEASE IN UR GRAVE R.I.P GOLDIE WE LOVE U

• linda enwerem February 16, 2013 at 5:49 am

so sad, RIP Goldie’ u will always remain in our hearts.

• Chioma February 16, 2013 at 6:25 am

It’s so sad that she just passed away like that not even up to a year that her very close friend Sussan Yusuf that was killed at 1004 Flat . How come these girls quickly rose to fame and were off just like that in their early thirtys ? Or there was more to it. Please autopsy should be carried out so that we will be able to rule out drug from this episode.

• Dosumu Akinola Oloyede February 16, 2013 at 6:39 am

R.I.P It really hurts to lose u….honestly cant explain how sad i am, *tear drops*

• Tosin February 16, 2013 at 8:48 am

Loved this artiste. Great body. Amazing soul. Very intelligent. Great visuals. Smart career. I wanted more, and now she’s gone. She has fans across Africa, not just Naija, and they’ll be missing her bad. I will always love you, my sister.

• CAMRON February 16, 2013 at 9:13 am

So its true she is gone. Accept our heartfelt condolence from Cameroon. Such a lovely girl

• feyigold February 16, 2013 at 9:27 am

still shocked!! like am just waiting to hear it’s a rumour… sad sad sad

• nikus February 16, 2013 at 9:52 am

please keep all these negative comments and shallow thinking to yourselves please!! she is dead and gone !! how does going for grammy’s make you illuminati??

• Temizzy February 16, 2013 at 11:05 am

Very creative, she was never afraid to show the world who she was. Bravery I must say.

• Opsy February 16, 2013 at 11:20 am

RIP Goldie. You lived your life to the full though it was short. You were daring and didn’t get discouraged by hateful comments. Going into the BBA house also showed us your softer side and dispelled any comments about you being a snob. You were just like every other girl; loving, caring, hardworking and also vulnerable. You are a legend and will be talked about for a long time. I wish other young people will live their lives to the full like you did and dare to follow their dreams like you did inspite of criticism.

• Ochuko February 16, 2013 at 12:13 pm

some where deep down in my heart im still waiting to hear this is a rumour. i got to know Goldie better during her stay in BBA house. na wa o…..she had such a beautiful heart, and she was really talented. this is toooo sad.*sobs

• Anonymous February 16, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Damn shame! It takes death for people to see the beautiful side to a person. All these lovely pictures were in existence yet people choose only her very ugly pictures and scene from BBA all along. As far as am concerned all this comments don’t count and it irks me to high heavens! Learn to appreciate people when u still got them cos all this as far as am concerned? Don’t count one bit!!! RIP Goldie

• ochuole agwu February 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm

RIP,MAY HER SOUL REST GENTLY.

• Chioma February 16, 2013 at 2:45 pm

So she was actually married? Na wa oooooooooo

• Caligula February 16, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Was never a fan but it’s pretty sad and devastating. No warning signs too. Pray God keeps her nd her family.

• still in shock! February 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm

When I heard about her death,I was shaking,and was praying it should be another Rumour,but hell no it was true..I’m one of her few fan,luv her track “I know it”,”say my name,”Don’t touch my body”..I have never been shock by any celebrity death like this blf….will Darey still hold his Val feast”?

• Anoni February 16, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Ndio maana mwaambiwa nipende bado niko hai! Ukinipenda wakati nimeshakufa ni sawa na kulitupa pendo lako hewani! Habari ndiyo hiyo. RIP Goldie

• Djenebo February 16, 2013 at 11:23 pm

rest in peace dear!

• Meeeee February 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

Wat happened to Goldie? The real truth cos the severe headache story doesn’t add up

• Meeeee February 17, 2013 at 12:05 am

I suspect she was poisoned but I also wonder why and who would want to do such a heartless thing.

• Casandra February 17, 2013 at 12:32 am

Hmmmm so so pathetic, may her beautiful soul rest in perfect peace.

• laurencia February 17, 2013 at 12:39 am

lv u and will always do. RIP GOLDIE

• Temzit February 17, 2013 at 6:15 am

The only explanation and with reports that i got is that she suffered fro embolism, this is when blood clots flow in your blood around the body , if it gets to the heart or brain it is deadly. After surgery last year i suffered from it but was saved in time with thining injections to my stomach to thin my blood which i took for almost 5 days as they checked my blood every day. People it has nothing to do with drugs or smoking. It even happens to so called healthy people, it takes a short time. it can be caused by stress and pneumonia. Apparently a woman had died 2 weeks ago in that hospital because of the same thing and the hospital did not want to take chances. I was fortunate. Please people let’s keep showing her love and give her some dignity. She was a soft hearted kind woman who was not perfect just like us, but deserved to be happy.

• my story February 18, 2013 at 4:17 am

am not saying that this might have caused her death, but i almost died two years ago from a strange headache i got out of no where, which caused some nerves to burst in my head( hemorrhagic stroke) .and after sedation and lab tests, they found out that my body had accumulated so much lead and mercury for my body to handle and it was attributed to the creams i used to use to get fairer. But after me almost meeting death, I was told to stop and had to go through some blood draining and had new blood put into my body, so i dont keep hemorraging. The doctor had told me that coupled with stress and lack of sleep the dopamine- natural mercury started using fight or flight reaction against the foreign new accumulation of mercury and steriod in my system that over the years had built up due to my use of the creams.( plus i used to use 3 different creams at once with high mercury level and that was never a good idea), but the doctor said it was the build up over the years. I survived and stopped using the creams, and slowly got darker but healthier. Plus it caused a lot of nerve damage to my system, like it takes me longer to form sentences, and my right side of my body at times goes numb with warning. So, but i . i was in the usa ,and was taken to methodist hospital in texas. i also blame the nigerian health system, for if she was in the states, maybe she would have had a fighting chance. RIP Goldie. You will be missed.

• SAD DVT February 19, 2013 at 12:55 pm