Nigerian Supermodel Oluchi Brings “Next Top Model” to Africa

The great news hit the web last night, when CBS Studios International announced that the African format rights for hit reality TV show competition, ‘America’s Next Top Model’ had been given to Nigerian supermodel Oluchi’s production company, LuLu Productions.

According to Worldscreen, It is reported that the Reality show competition series is slated to hit screens this 2013 and air pan-regionally in Africa on the M-NET Africa Magic channels. The show will be shot primarily on location in South Africa, with Oluchi Orlandi serving as the show’s host and executive producer. Here’s what she had to say:

“I am excited to be hosting Africa’s Next Top Model and it is great to be part of the successful America’s Next Top Model franchise that Tyra Banks created and has hosted for an impressive 20 cycles thus far in the U.S. The African version of the franchise is long overdue and I expect the show to be a smashing success across the continent. My company, LuLu Productions, will be partnering with Never Machine productions with Gavin Wratten as co-executive producer and also one of the giant media houses to help make this show a big success.” – Oluchi Orlandi

Congratulations Oluchi!

Click here for the full article from Worldscreen

Photo Credits: HauteFashionAfrica

72 Comments on Nigerian Supermodel Oluchi Brings “Next Top Model” to Africa
  • nene April 27, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Africa’s next top model ke? it’s silly to do a contest for the whole continent, nothing like “latin america” “north america” or “europe’s” next top model. you have brazil, germany, canada, america, etc. if Nigerians want to do something, why do they always have to name it Africa? it’s a huge continent, and it just makes the whole world still think Africa is a country. yet the Nigerian producers don’t even try to involve other countries, neither do they organize these shows well. and again, no offense, but there a soo many better countries in Africa than Nigeria, and we have to stop thinking that we are the “giants”. I have spoken my mind as a concerned African and Nigerian.

• slice April 27, 2013 at 4:22 pm

ok they’ll be hosting in south africa. If anything at all, your article should be about S.A not Nigeria. Seems you saw Oluchi’s name and just assumed it would be based in Nigeria

• Partyrider April 27, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Why are you ranting? First the show will be shot in South Africa.
      Secondly it a franchise that has branched into Africa. Nigeria as a country has nothing to do with it. Read and understand before you start shouting.

• maya April 27, 2013 at 5:52 pm

i think a train hit you and that’s why u missed out oluchi’s press release in the article! ‘my people perish for the lack of knowledge’ please go and chew gum! i’m sure that if u read it u would’ve said why would she not do it in nigeria! shes not proud to be nigerian!! there’s no pleasing u people! be happy that the thing is even in africa

• Aanu April 27, 2013 at 8:22 pm

First of all. I agree with Nene. Why do we even need it? Is there no more Nokia face of Africa? Why Africa’s Next Top Model. Why not give every country their own Next Top Model. Better still, why not each country comeup with their own modeling competition? The world is so fond of grouping Africa countries as one big country. That is a franchise, meaning a great percentage of profit made from the show will be returned to the United States. Are we not tired of foreigners looting the continent?

• Tunmi May 3, 2013 at 4:52 am

I agree with you. It should not have been called Africa…just call it South Africa.

• Demmy April 27, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I can’t for it to start.Hopefully it will be interesting. xx

• paula boroh April 27, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I want to participate in the event, how do I register

• ANTM July 5, 2013 at 9:36 am

Hi, you can download the entry form at antmAfrica.com. The auditions will be taking place in Lagos on 23 July from 7am at the Federal Palace Hotel. Good Luck!

• Partyrider April 27, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Good stuff..looking forward to it.

• i no send April 27, 2013 at 4:29 pm

oluchi is always reinventing herself..i jus luv her..she settled down, had kids, still doing well and adding more feathers to her cap…..wish some others can emulate her sometimes and stop running about the place

• Myne Whitman April 27, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Congrats to her, I enjoy the American version of that show, Tyra is a good presenter. Oluchi has big shoes to fill.

• nma April 27, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Africa is a continent not a country. Geeze can this oyibos learn their Georgraphy already . Good job oluchi

• Mz Socially Awkward… April 27, 2013 at 4:36 pm

But will she have the bat-shit crazy of Aunt Ty-Ty which has endeared ANTM to my heart and makes me eagerly await each new season just to see what ridiculousness is being unleashed on those poor aspiring models? The insanity of ANTM just takes the cake, man.

That said, well done Oluchi. I hope you make some girls’ dreams come true and hopefully, you’ve got a great entertainment format to roll this out on.

• Jane Meadows April 27, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I love oluchi ;Such a graceful and grounded lady. I am looking fwd to seeing the show. Congrats Oluchi :-)

• Nk April 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Nene is always so bitter with negative comments, please change that attitude and know that the people you bash up and down are human too. That being said, well done Oluchi and we are proud of you

• Matt April 27, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I thought i was the only one that noticed Nene and her always resentful and sour comments. It speaks a lot about her character. She definitely needs some kool-aid.

• gistyinka April 27, 2013 at 7:10 pm

nice achievement and congrats to Oluchi :-)…

gistyinka.com

• Rukky April 27, 2013 at 7:35 pm

there’s no pleasing some people. I’m excited as hell. A pan and pro African event like this endeavours to re-unite a separated Africa. So, it has a lot of socio-political advantages too. Stop complaining and appreciate Oluchi and her team.

• mama April 27, 2013 at 10:08 pm

am now so convinced that nene who i have crowned ”madam negative” is a half baked illiterate….also known as madam know know, I Too Know…..pls learn to read and consult your brain before your hands run amork to type…..your shake body and negative comments don too much…….Oluchi pkaro lo jo, nothing do you…..we await your programme and wish u the best…..witches like nene will not see you in Jesus name….Amen

• A April 27, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Oh wow! Nice one Oluchi! :) I’m glad they had someone reputable in the modelling industry (such as herself) bring Next Top Model to Africa as a whole…. personally, I’d rather they called it: Nigeria’s Next Top model (if only to match other franchises) even if they’re shooting the series in South Africa as long as all the would-be models are of Nigerian origin…..if not, then I guess ‘Africa’s Next Top Model’ is more appropriate.

• ronny April 27, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I love oluchi but her presentation can be lacklustre at times.or maybe its her voice which sounds flat.ANTM needed tyras craze?can oluchi jack it up a norch? Don’t forget she used to judge mnet face of africa?

• lolo April 28, 2013 at 1:28 am

@nene. i concur.i think i would have preferred Nigeria’s next top model ( NNTM).

• Yomoba April 28, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Beautiful lady!

• new bride April 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm

FINALLY!!!!! I’ve been hearing/reading this gist since I moved back to Nigeria in 2006.

• Nawa OOO April 28, 2013 at 9:48 pm

EXCUSE ME!! why is this africa. Northern Africans are different from sub-saharan so please i hate all this lies that Africa is one continent and we all represent each other. it is a lie!!

• LaizaLounge.com April 28, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Finally! I cannot wait for this to start. I’m an ANTM fan no matter what :D

I hope Oluchi brings her A game to this…sooo proud of her

• salsera April 28, 2013 at 11:21 pm

She revived the same mnet face of africa that she won – then it got sponsorship to nokia face of africa. that show has been laid to rest now. so it great that she got this franchise as well.

• Anonymous April 29, 2013 at 8:46 am

She’s probably not hosting it in Nigeria coz of BOKO HARAM and all the insecurities going on. Asides they can start fighting up north again as they did when they wanted to host miss world here.

• Warri Pickin April 29, 2013 at 11:27 am

@ Nene hah na wa dear 6ta, your comment as opener fire chineke !!, you just dey vex like vesper…..abeg cool down 4 Jesus, allow Oluchi try first if she succeed phine, but she no succeed dem u cant blow dia nose. My opinion sha

• Berry Dakara April 29, 2013 at 11:39 am

Nice! I would totally watch this.

berrydakara.blogspot.com

• Tara April 29, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Nice one Oluchi, i am in total support with Nene, do we have to read the entire article? No? if Oluch wanted to help bring out new models, her first focus should have been to bring this to Nigeria, this is going to be another Nokia Face of Africa. Oluchi, you definatly have big shoes to fill regarding our lovely, beautiful and FRIENDLY Tyra Banks. Yes! i emphasised on friendly because if you ever meet Oluchi you would know she is nothing close to friendly, she is very stuck up, not pleasant at all, i dont want to run her down but really she should chill out and be nicer to people, Nigerian models are excited to see Oluchi, they are so proud of her, she brought Nigeria out in terms of modelling, but no matter how happy the models are to see her, the lady is just not pleasant to them, acts like they are nothing, no words of encouragement, she looks down on them and publicly embarasses them when they want to take a picture with her…..She is no role model……Love you Tyra!!! you would always be the best!!!!

• sharon April 29, 2013 at 12:57 pm

so looking forward to the show,

• My Own Business April 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Nice one…..I think Africa’s Next top model will have a greater global presence than Nigeria’s Next top model at the time…..maybe after some time, we can break out into NNTM, on that note Kudos to Oluchi, you got some great shoes to fill and im sure u will do great

• Banny April 30, 2013 at 8:43 am

errm but is Africa one continent? Is there Europe next top model abi is Europe or Latin America grouped as one? No wonder when you tell a non African that I am from Nigeria, they all say “I have a friend in Kenya, do you know him or her?”. Good job anyway for even thinking of it. By the way when they say Africa, do they mean including Egypt and Tunisia too or I don’t know self

• kemi April 30, 2013 at 9:47 am

Good job! oluchi. And for the hater comments, since you guys really love nigeria why not meet Tyra and buy the franchise for NNTM. You guys really need to change such negative attitude.

• bubbles April 30, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Great endeavour Oluchi i must say, but please let us learn to take criticisms as what they are…criticisms!….every one has a right to their opinion, Nene and Aanu simply stated intelligently what some people have failed to see.Personally i cant keep up with all these cat shows being thrown down here and to top it up are very poorly planned and executed…..besides the word isn’t “negative” its “constructive”.

• African hybrid May 1, 2013 at 9:18 am

What are people saying good job Oluchi for? you display ignorance she just bought a franchise which is not even going to be in Nigeria. If it is in SA its not even creating jobs for Nigeria. And yes Africa is continent grouping is irritating

• A May 1, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Loool @ ‘what are people saying good job Oluchi for?’ Well, approve of it or not… this is a BIG achievement for her also for Nigeria/Africa in terms of ‘reality’ TV. For the fact that the show won’t be shot in Nigeria doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t create some jobs for Nigerians or in Nigeria (I won’t go into that) or that there aren’t plans for shooting to take place in Nigeria in future. Whilst I agree that grouping can be very irritating, in this instance it makes plenty sense if the girls will be of diverse African origin (think Face of Africa). Anyway, let’s see how the whole thing pans out sha….#can’twait! :)

• folusho May 2, 2013 at 10:06 am

Gbam i agree wiv a on this calm down african hybrid

• chidi May 1, 2013 at 9:35 am

I would like to Tara’s comment. OLUCHI isnt a friendly person. The show wouldnt last. No be swear. It takes a vivacious personality to pull something of this magnitude off. See tyra. Unless she is going to train before she starts o. Cause thay snooty , nose up in the air attitude for reality tv. Doesnt cut it. I wish it was her bestie Ojy that got the franchise jare lol

• Zero May 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm

E no fit am abeg….

• folusho May 2, 2013 at 10:09 am

Congrats oluchi

• fulem wase May 28, 2013 at 3:06 pm

hi greatest show eva,wish to participate in the show,how do i register?

• ANTM July 5, 2013 at 9:41 am

• fulem wase May 28, 2013 at 3:10 pm

hi i wish to participate in the show so badly how do i register.its so great

• oluwanifemi May 28, 2013 at 9:13 pm

can’t wait to see show @oluchi i’m proud of u

• peace gawu-mensah May 30, 2013 at 11:46 am

hi i wish to participate. how do i register

• ihongbe blessing May 31, 2013 at 8:08 pm

i wish to participate.how to i register

• Fatima June 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm

How do i apply

• Ashu Murriel Ojong June 2, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I want to participate how do i apply? am from Cameroon but i live and work in South Africa pls let me know

• Ashu Murriel Ojong June 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm

lets just do what is expected of us and stop arguing about the title and the continent this can be sorted out later

• nawti June 4, 2013 at 6:43 pm

enough of the argument how can a sister apply?

• nawti June 4, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Africa is Africa,Nigeria or south Africa,doesn’t still matter we should be thankful that they even thought about bringing it to Africa.SMH!!!!!!!!!!!11

• lethabo June 6, 2013 at 8:15 am

how does one enter

• Gift June 6, 2013 at 9:02 am

How do i apply

• ANTM July 5, 2013 at 9:41 am

• Gift June 6, 2013 at 9:11 am

I want to participate in the event, how do I register plz.

• faith tsotetsi June 11, 2013 at 11:07 pm

i’m a 19 year old gal who aspiring 2 be a model so bad,i’m passionate,confident,creative nd intelligent dis is de opportunity i’ve been waitin 4 my whole lyf ,how do i enter.

• Yolanda June 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm

How do we apply for the auditions or where do we get the entry forms?Please i cant find the details on how to enter,I dnt want to miss this opportunity,please reply to me.Please please!*
    thank u.

• christabel June 12, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Please how do I be part of these models.

• ANTM July 5, 2013 at 9:40 am

• joy June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am

Pls how do I register.

• ANTM July 5, 2013 at 9:39 am

• d-black June 22, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I’l lyk 2 paticipate in d show hw do i register

• ANTM July 5, 2013 at 9:39 am

• Honey June 29, 2013 at 8:12 pm

wow how can i register

• ANTM July 5, 2013 at 9:38 am

• George Sammyafroh July 5, 2013 at 5:59 am

Hi. Call me Sammyafroh, am in Kenya and this is where i was born. Guys negative or positive anyone is to be given a chance to post their own views, nene is negative and what she sometimes says might be negative but always food for thought. She approves of all the positive but decides to only handle the -ve, i mean.. well all said and done mine is to first of all thank Tyra Banks for opening that Multi-Billion door to a simple humble lady who is driven by her passion to realize her dreams. To oluchi, i will say, our parents always encouraged us to build CASTLES IN THE AIR, well Girl you just figured out a way TO BUILD ITS FOUNDATION, my only question is, do you have the right material and formula to BUILD THE PILLARS? Piece of advice let this not get to your head. Respect everyone… All said thumbs up and that we will support your course. MAY GOD SEE YOU THROUGH TO GREATER HEIGHTS. GOD SPEED OLUCHI AND LONG LIVE TYRA. Afroh

• ANTM July 5, 2013 at 9:38 am

• Madam Ngy. July 25, 2013 at 11:02 am

I don’t know what i was thinking I intended getting the form for my daughter,she was born the year Oluchi worn the face of Africa.She has the features,Is there room for late entry?

• nolu September 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm

when is the first episode of this and in which channel and what time