Capital FEMI

When it comes to R&B in Nigeria, there are only a handful of artists who stay true to its ‘original’ sound and Capital F.E.M.I. is one of them. Being the artiste of the week on Channels TV, the “I Found My Wife” crooner came in for an interview on Channels TV’s Saturday Morning Talk Show “Sunrise”.

During the interview, he expressed his love for live music and bands which sparked up a very interesting question from his interviewers. They asked why most Nigerian artists, except those who do Fuji or Juju, don’t usually have bands and perform by ‘miming’ or ‘lip-syncing’ their songs played over the speakers.

Although caught unawares, Capital F.E.M.I. explained why he thinks they do.

Check on it!

For the full interview, watch part 1 here

23 Comments on Why do Nigerian Artists ‘mime’ on Stage? R&B Crooner Capital F.E.M.I. Explains in his Interview for Channels TV’s Sunrise
  • bukky May 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm

dis questn has bin on my mind for like forever….like i jst dont get it either y i wld pay so much money N go through d stress of getting a naija artiste concert ticket n at d show d artiste only givs HIS/HER best to me by miming d song which is so un proffessional,which is as gud as buying d cd n listen to it in my home.naija artistes criously needs to wrk on dis dere boring trend except for a few ones like omawunmi.Clearly most of dem seems to always want to emulate d ways of oyinbos DEY should as well do it RIGHT!

• Bey May 15, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Lol Tiwa is their oga cox she no get voice @ all..see the wey she flopped during iyana’s album lunch..she was just screaming..oya her voltrons should come to her rescue hehehehe

• her May 15, 2013 at 7:56 pm

totally agree with you….

• Oge May 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Hmmm no be small voltrons lol. They will soon call you a hater lmao,

• Onyi May 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Same quetioning i hv bin asking,its soooo annoying.they dnt even put any effort into d performance all they do is to lip sing.most of dem dnt even hv beta voice sef especiall dat girl dat follows inyanya on stage,its as if i shld get a can n flog her off d stage.sometimes wat d r singing doesnt even go inline wit thier CD playing in d background.

• Bey May 15, 2013 at 5:50 pm

*iyanya*

• Debo May 15, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Huh? Sorry but what has not having a live band got to do with lipsynching?? Why cant they sing over a instrumental burned unto a CD? Please.

• Diya May 15, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Only a few artistes put out great music. Olamide, phyno, Brymo are some of the people that I respect. Wizkid is nice but his music recently is just like the many others…gibberish. Davido is a talented child but I have not followed his work recently.
    That Tiwa’s song with Don Jazzy is an outdated mess but it’s doing quite well on the charts. It sounds like a song Ashanti would have done in 2003/4 to simply just add to her album…because she can. Tiwa should know better but Nigerians make it possible because we bask in nursery rhyme music, noise, and mediocrity.

• Sephora May 15, 2013 at 8:36 pm

This interview makes sense. Capital F.E.M.I is eloquent, the interviewers are well spoken, asking meaningful & relevant questions. 2 thumbs up to Sunrise. Capital F.E.M.I you haven’t found your wife o! I’m still here!.

• Retrochic May 15, 2013 at 9:40 pm

this capital F.E.M.I makes massive sense

• tu May 16, 2013 at 4:39 am

Hmm!Tiwa cannot sing and she was on american x-factor abi?Y don’t you put a video of yourself singing for us to judge cos I’v heard Tiwa’s vocals and she sure can sing,doesn’t overrule the fact that she should keep lipsncing on stage but some pple r just pure hater and would jump at any opportunity to criticize anybd at all,most of us would most likely follow the trend if you go into music,for now,its easier to sit and criticize all day.Nyc interview by the way.

• tu May 16, 2013 at 4:40 am

Haters*

• RA May 16, 2013 at 9:20 am

BN aren’t you tired of using the word “crooner” for every artist? its becoming too repetitive.

• ade May 16, 2013 at 9:32 am

Even If Tiwa was on america xfactor whatever ws she picked?? Abeg she is voiceless and u knw it..the only ladies that can sing well is waje,omawunmi and ms jaie..Tiwa is in the league of Niyola..voiceless ladies..

• If you are a wedding lover/enthusiast visit my wedding blog @ www.cakesbymizvuitton.blogspot.com May 23, 2013 at 12:51 am

What??? Niyola can’t sing? Ha! That’s really stretching it hunty

• london’s finest May 16, 2013 at 10:28 am

Ade, well said. but add RUBY to the list .

• ade May 16, 2013 at 10:45 am

Lol Rubby sings well too..just listened to her new single *Down*..I’m nt hating Tiwa but she is over hyped and I can’t knock her hustle

• london’s finest May 17, 2013 at 9:16 am

Ruby has got SOUL. i love, love her songs.

• london’s finest May 16, 2013 at 11:00 am

i remember going for nigerian ”show” at the o2 where flavour and Davido disgracefully mimed to their CD. SMH.

even ”have beens” such as Dru Hill, Keith Sweat, etc all sing LIVE with a full supporting band.

and to think people pay top money to listen to such ”miming”. mschewwww. i’ll rather watch their music videos on youtube!

• Purpleicious Babe May 16, 2013 at 11:06 am

I think the camera position or is it the layout that could be better?

Something is off. Anyhoo, it simply nice to see his whole face or any other guest.

First time hearing about him.

• Missy J May 16, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Love me some omawunmi and waje…meeeeeehn those gals kill it live on stage with their liveband. Tiwa got d voice but she isn’t making judicious use of it on stage, maybe if she had GLO-ambassadors’ campaign wouldn’t have passed her by#justsaying#

• nene May 16, 2013 at 1:33 pm

nigerians like to spend money for rubbish. i don’t go for any shows, unless its a mixture of comedy and music. so i should go and pay money to see someone sing over his/her song when i can probably sing and even dance and perform better than that “musician”. let them watch beyonce perform, her songs may not be the best, but when beyonce performs her songs, u instantly love it, on the other hand rihanna has amazing songs and beats but rihanna is the worst performer..EVER!

• nikky May 16, 2013 at 1:51 pm

More like lip syncing its very annoying