BN Beauty: 10 Natural Hair Truths You Should Know

The argument pro and con natural hair has been going on for a long while and even though people have their reservations about going full on natural, there are those who want to embrace the look  but don’t know the first thing about it.

Undoubtedly there are a lot of things to consider like deciding if you want to go natural with or without cutting your hair, if your hair will have a natural curl pattern; and thirdly, if this is the right choice for you.

But despite these questions there are those who have decided and want to take the first step in their natural hair journey. This post is for you. Here, we are going to tell you the things you need to know before you make the big decision to go “natural”. If you haven’t seen an article we published a while ago by Oshokeme, then click HERE. It’s all about tips to help make your natural hair journey easier and now here are a few more to add to your think tank.

First of all you should know that going natural is not about staying off weaves as some people perceive to be. It is letting your relaxed hair grow out so you can enjoy your natural hair’s texture. Now that we have gotten that out of the way, let’s begin.

1. Before you begin this journey you should come to an understanding that hair is personal –  It is individual and it is your decision. Be sure you want to go natural before taking the step. This certainty would make the journey that much easier and smoother for you as you would have to be dedicated to making it work.

2. To transition or not to transition – There is the question of the loss of femininity when going natural. Some people thing that cutting off your hair aka ‘the big chop’ would make them seem more masculine. There is another option; you could choose to leave your relaxed hair on and just grow it out. Maintenance can be done here by washing or co-washing (washing hair with only conditioner) your hair regularly to maintain a healthy head of locks. Eventually when your new roots get to a stage where you’re comfortable with them, you can then cut off the relaxed part.

3. You can never get too much information about your hair – Don’t limit yourself; Knowledge is power. Search for more information about natural hair  maintenance and what it really requires to be a natural. Be sure to visit a professional natural hair care specialist to get advice on hair products and help out in the process. You may not need to treat your hair often, but you would need a hair specialist to help customize a hair care regimen to suit your own hair needs.

4. You may/will become product crazy (‘Product Junkie’) – With your new natural hair you would have the urge to invade YouTube and try all the products natural hair bloggers show you. This is not advisable. Using too much at once could interrupt your hair growth and natural pattern formation. Once you have found your hair regimen, stick to it. If you want to change it, wait until you have exhausted the one you previously used then make the switch.

5. You still have the option of using weaves – Using curly weaves is a great way to help you care for your natural hair. How? Get a weave that has a similar curl pattern to your hair, this would be great practice for you if and when you decide to go all natural.

6. Protective hairstyles help prevent your hair from breakage while you are transitioning. They could be in the form of buns, braids, twists etc. However make sure you do not tie or braid your hair too tight; it could cause tension on your scalp and this could lead to permanent hair loss. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn’t it?

7. Keep an open mind – Most times when people think of natural hair they think of Solange; truth is your hair may not turn out that way. It may be more kinky than curly or otherwise. It is important to note that everyone has an individual curl pattern that could involve two or three different types of curls. You have to learn to embrace it and style it to suit you. Don’t worry it is possible.

8. Sometimes our natural hair doesn’t grow into a defined pattern or curl – You can manipulate this with plastic coils, flexi rods or straws. They help give hair that pattern and bounce and lasts a few days.

9. Maintaining natural hair takes time –  Whoever said going natural was going to be easier, lied. It takes almost as much time and attention that relaxed hair does, maybe even more. Like we said before, you have to come up with a regimen that suits your hair, it wont always be a wash and go process, you would have to work at it.

10. You will still have bad hair days – With relaxed hair you couldn’t afford to let that happen, but now that you’re natural, is okay to let that happen. Your hair having a little frizz is normal and sometimes might be necessary to pull off some hairstyles.

The journey to natural hair growth is something you have to decide on your own. It shouldn’t be part of a band wagon mentality and hopefully you will enjoy your hair as you continue. Are you a natural? Do you know something we don’t? Do like the next line and…

Photo Credit: Deluxe-mag.com

99 Comments on BN Beauty: 10 Natural Hair Truths You Should Know
  • Ngozi May 26, 2013 at 9:11 am

I started the journey properly in January this year. To be honest, the first few weeks were frustrating and some of my male friends made comments like ‘are you a boy?’ The most damning revelation was that I wouldn’t end up with solange type hair! But I’ve stayed true to going natural! The combo of deep conditioning, co washing, castor oil, olive oil and she’s butter has given my hair a fuller, healthier look. Plus the big chop has given me a different look, a bit like a fresh start hehe. Apart from the normal shrinking, I love my new hair!!!!

• Damsel May 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Ngozi i think i know you…lol. If you are the Ngozi i know, I like your natural hair. You do a good job styling you hair. If you’re not the Ngozi, well….lol.

• bosbos May 26, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Pls where can I get castor oil in lagos!very urgent

• Abiola May 27, 2013 at 9:53 am

You can get castor oil from any neighbourhood pharmacy/chemist.

• Bisi May 28, 2013 at 6:04 pm

You can get Jamaican Black Castor Oil from Hair City. I usually get mine from them. Simply send a mail to: todaysnaira@hotmail.com

• bbgirlnaija June 5, 2013 at 12:15 am

You go girl – try curlformers for a different natural look and its all diy – so no one does target practice on your hair at the salon (some of those girls eh!)
      bbgirlnaija.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/curly-curly-hair.html

• Spotter May 26, 2013 at 10:05 am

Solange hair is diff from ours. She is mixed with orishirishi blood. All dem african Americans on youtube are mixed and have orishirishi blood hence their curly and soft hair unlike our kinky, coarse hair. For me I use tressemme conditioner on my hair as shampoo, I also use the conditioner as my hair cream whether my hair is dry or wet. I mix it with coconut oil or castor oil and my hair is moisturised and soft the whole day.

• ola May 26, 2013 at 10:57 am

I believe Solange wears a lot of wigs

• Feyi May 29, 2013 at 11:16 am

she absolutely DOES wear a wig

• Ore May 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Please I’m not mised with “orishirishi blood”; I am fully Nigerian and my hair is extremely soft! Genes play a part in your hair but it’s not the only determining factor in the texture of your hair.

• CEO May 26, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Who told you you’re not mixed? There’s no such thing as a pure race. We are all mixed. Our mixing may not just be as much as African Americans

• ADA May 27, 2013 at 6:04 am

I’m also 100% nigerian, and i don’t have rought coarse hair! it’s soft and curly. the same with my mother and brother ! they are pure african, dark skin and all

• Titi May 26, 2013 at 3:16 pm

That’s really not true for everyone. I lost all my hair due to a medical treatment and it has grown back a different texture than before. It is now very soft and very curlly. Someone actually asked me once if I was mixed and no, I am 100% undisputed african! Loving the hair now though I battle with urges to relax again as the hair is still only about 3 inches. I was my hair every other day and wet it with water daily.

• Bunmi May 26, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Please people! do not listen to Spotter. Stop spreading false information.
      Solange’s hair is kinky! Her hair isn’t like her son’s hair. If you go on Youtube or blogs, you will see the different textures of black hair such as 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b,4c. Not all African Americans have the “mixed hair” texture. Besides, I know a Yoruba girl who’s hair is curly. I have coarse hair and I think they call mine coils instead. Ladies, please educate yourselves about your natural hair just like how you would do anything to find the stores that sell weaves from desperate Brazilians and Indians in need of quick cash.

• deep May 27, 2013 at 6:28 am

LOVE! @Spotter is just miseducating here. Solo wears wigs, her hair is kinky…

• Tinkerbella May 28, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Most nigerians have 4c hair which is the kinkiest! Solange is 4A… that’s 2 types softer and loosely coiled than most nigerians. So spotter is quite right.

• Feyi May 29, 2013 at 11:18 am

she absolutely DOES wear a wig

• Adeola May 29, 2013 at 8:10 am

Not “all dem African Americans on YouTube have orisirisi hair”… There are those that have tightly curled 4c hair like you and me probably, there are those that have hair with absolutely no definition. There are even Nigerians that have hair that’s so fine and soft, you would refer to it as “orisirisi hair” so… you just need to check properly, know your hair type and what works for you. For example, you could check out Naturalme4c on YouTube, she has 4c type hair just like mine and I find her vlog very informative, there are so many others too

• Mimz May 29, 2013 at 7:52 pm

My hair is like cotton wool (not a good thing by the way, wish my hair was coarser) and I’m 200% Nigerian!!

• Tinkerbella May 26, 2013 at 10:11 am

People with relaxed hair should not be allowed to write about natural haircare.

• Nafisat August 25, 2013 at 11:39 am

Loooool….Tinkerbella…are you relaxed or natural??

• Spotter May 26, 2013 at 10:46 am

@ tinkerbella I agree with you. The writter get relaxed hair? Then babes leave matter. Bella Naija u guys should hire me to talk about natural hair. Have had natural hair for over 10 years and knows how it works. All them african Americans on you tube get curly soft hair and its different from kinky coarse african hair . I have african Americans as friends so i know what I,m talking about. My hair can Neva look like Solange’s hair ! African hair is kinky, dry and coarse and I know how to maintain it

• Partyrider May 26, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Please share a few tips with me. I went for the so called big chop..

• tzipporah4 May 26, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Hello Partyrider…I am fully natural and I have a mini blog where I share my tips for natural hair…you can check it out on tzipporahskinks.blogspot.co.uk.

• Ore May 26, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Not all African hair id dry and coarse, mine isn’t. I suggest you do your research before trying to teach us how to maintain natural hair. Knowledge is power!

• hawa May 26, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I so agree with you. I am 100% Sierra Leonean and my hair is loosely curled.

• adelegirl May 26, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Spotter, have you got a blog on natural hair where you share your natural hair care tips?

• Hussler! May 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm

My hair is soft, n ‘rubber-ry’. not dry n coarse. and i’m so Nigerian n Natural.
      genes + protein-water balance, is the key for me.

Read the Science of Black hair. good info.

• deep May 27, 2013 at 6:31 am

@Spotter God forbid that you ever have a say in kinky hair talk…. u’re beyond uneducated in the matter and should refrain from spreading the ignorance. MANY Africans with generations of Black Africans running through them have fine but kinky hair. NOT every African’s hair is coarse!!! I have fine hair while my brother has coarse hair,and we’re of the same parents. It just depends.

• salsera May 26, 2013 at 10:50 am

i’m 10 yrs since a relaxer and to be honest i dont miss it. i didnt like relaxers and couldnt stand hair dryers and most salons. I’d say enjoy the journey, it made me have a good look in the mirror and be happy with whatever i saw. youtube is very encouraging cos it shows the wide range of curl patterns we can have.
    Enjoy the journey biko at every length there is always something creative you can do, hair will always react to weather bare that in mind and pay attention.
    I eventually cut mine and coloured it, wanted a new look as well as to have fun with short hair.
    And please use weaves, braids, wigs in between, the beauty of being a woman is being able to change ur look but still treating the real you with special attention.

• Anita…. May 26, 2013 at 10:52 am

I chopped of my hair and went natural….currently using African Pride “Shea butter miracle” products and I noticed my hair color is changing to a diff shade of brown but apart from st I’m really happy with my decision.B now that I know my hair may not turn out like solange’s it just makes me want to put more effort into caring for my hair..,,,,,

• Vasco Da Gama May 26, 2013 at 11:19 am

Nice 1

• yeahisaidit May 26, 2013 at 11:30 am

i find the choice of cover pic for this article interesting. especially as the vast majority of your readers with natural hair are likely to have more coarse, non-mixed race curls. why not use images that your readers can relate to?? how many nigerian/african girls have natural curls like that? it is annoying.

• hawa May 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm

why you so pressed?

• Teddy Bear May 26, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thank you, jare! I was thinking the same thing! Smh. While I appreciate that an article was dedicated to natural hair, I rolled my eyes at some of the points. ” Most times when people think of natural hair they think of Solange”… Who are these people? Abegi, please let me know who they are. I for one, don’t! I think of my ancestors when I think of natural hair and wish most if not all of my people wore their hair the same way. The key to natural hair is moisture. Simple.

• Jo! May 27, 2013 at 6:47 am

Think of your ancestors when you think about your hair? Like seriously?? Please which ones, Moremi or Amina or (need an ibo one here plix). Lmao.
        But seriously this”connecting with your roots” ish is getting a tad annoying. I mean, we’re already wearing Ankara which these our “ancestors” didn’t wear, using Shea butter (which they did)& now carrying our hair because of them. C’mon.
        Please let’s be clear o, it is important that you make key decisions For Yourself. You want a healthier lifestyle, go natural &use shea butter for your skin. You don’t like oyinbo clothing, wear Ankara. I most definitely was not thinking of any Moremi or Efunsetan when I went natural. I did it for ME. Ancestors ko *snigger*. I’d rather think of solange than think of any ancestors. Ancestors fire

• Teddy Bear May 28, 2013 at 12:46 pm

LOL! HA! Your response made me chuckle! Thank btw. Next time you choose to reply to a comment, carefully and thoroughly read what is typed. No where in my response did I imply that I choose to wear my hair naturally because of my ancestors. I simply said that I do not think about Solange when I think of natural hair. I think of those way before me i.e ancestors. In other words, the concept of natural hair doesn’t make me think of Solange. I am not really sure how or where the shea butter and Ankara logic came about, but I made mentions of none of those. Going off on a tangent maybe? I totally understand your argument, however, it does not apply to what I said. To be succinct, I did not say that I decided to wear my hair naturally because of my ancestors; I said that Solange is not the name that comes to mind when I think of natural hair. Thank you! :)

• Teddy Bear May 28, 2013 at 1:51 pm

*Thanks

• Alorye April 2, 2014 at 12:02 pm

What you’re seeing is a twist out. I’ve done lots of those and my hair does sometimes look like that. Use the right products or as it for natural hair, keep hunting for the right styling products for natural hair and you should be able to have curls that look like that. True Trus.

• cindy May 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Thanks for the post BN. you can do an update with pix to show diff. hair texture for natural hair. Btw im a Nigerian, my hair is super curly. I hated it before until I went on youtube. youtube is a lifesaver. my hair is 16months old. I do twist out often protect my hair. avoid single braids with attachment/extension. wear weaves, have one or two stylist that can manipulate ur hair. wen u travel to lagos bcarful of their hair stylist or u’ll bcome BALD. No time to edit

• Sarah Adebayo May 26, 2013 at 12:41 pm

i don’t understand why every comment is about solange? why every body is aiming at solange’s hair? just go natural for your own liking! PERIOD

• Abeni ebony May 29, 2013 at 6:25 pm

%110 agree. Solange as far as I’m concerned is waaaay late in the natural game. Although being natural shouldn’t really be considered a fad since black we’re born that way, but seriously, since the “going back to natural hair” trend has been resurfaced there have been tons of ppl celebrity and non that have greatly inspired black woman to having fab natural hairstyles. PLUS, Solange doesn’t want to be considered a spokeswoman for natural anyways, leave her out of this abeg…she would want it that way anyway. If anything I think she’s drawing more inspiration from us full blooded African ppl. From her clothes, crew, and hairstyles…the world is watching US now! Let our names be one called out as true reps of beautiful Africa-the source of black natural beauty.

• Ebun May 26, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I decided to go natural in April. Had my last relaxer treatment in January. So i’m transitioning till the end of the year. Honestly it’s has really been challenging. all you need to do is study your hair and create a regimen. I actually enjoy co-washing & deepconditioning. I can’t wait for my BC and start rocking my fro. And not forgetting MOISTURE very important day and night!!!!

• hmm May 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Hi Bella great article…………..BUT you missed one very important…I am transitioning at the moment…and one thing ive noticed..is that Black hair is usually dry and when it is, it breaks. …..So its good to moisturize and MOST importantly when sleeping, WRAP your hair with a SATIN scarf….or get a satin pillow case…you find that when you wake up your hair is still soft so it is easier to style…..if you do not wrap your hair , or you just sleep on your cotton pillowcase or use a cotton or any other dry material scarf the oils would dry out , thereby making your hair more difficult and painful to style…..from personal experience it is important to wrap with satin when sleeping on the bed to maintain the hair oils…if lazy to wrap every night, get a satin pillowcase….

• princess linzeey May 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Nice, But how I wish I have a natural hair……………………Yet I still love my hair

• hmm May 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I have to give it to solange ..she has inspired a lot of girls with her style…..i guarantee that if every black celeb went natural…black women would follow suit ..hehe…..anyways variety is good, still do weaves and braids……whenever i look at pics of my parents in the 70s and 80s and music videos…i always wonder how they were able to perm, style their hair and it still looked full and long , compared to now…

• deep May 27, 2013 at 6:35 am

do ur parents still have long full hair??? I’m 100% positive it’s thinned out and badly damaged…

• jinx May 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I’ve not permed my hair since ’09. But my ‘new’ hair’s 8 months old, and the length is shoulder length already. I found that one of my fav protective hair is twists (not too small). But have a partial weave at the moment which I’m also lovely.

I’m 100% Nigerian, at first I thought my natural would be unmanageable but actually it’s quite soft once treated well. My point is our hair doesn’t have conform to the ‘hype’ of how to look, but every African hair type can be soft & manegbale in it’s own right.

Don’t go natural thinking your will look like the girl in the pic or anyone else. Do you and be happy. If your hair texture is not like that, then your natural hair will not be like that!

• nene May 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm

natural hair gets easier and softer with time.

• Aibee May 26, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I began my natural hair journey in March ’13. Prior to that I had “baby curls” with my hair retouched and curled with a curl activator. I stopped retouching/relaxing my hair in February and cut off the relaxed bits in March. the hair was short anyway so it wasn’t much of a big chop.
    I’m about 3 months into my natural hair journey and so far I’m loving my hair. I discovered that I can rock my “afro” for days so long as my hair is properly moisturized. I use a mixture of Olive Oil, Coconut oil and castor oil even though I find the smell of the castor oil a bit nauseating. I also carry hair in cornrows made as didi/matting even though that gets untidy within 3 days because my hair is still very short.
    Meanwhile, I foolishly fixed one of those styles where they bond the weave to cap which you can then wear as a wig and some of the bond/glue got on my hairline in the front. Let’s just say I look like an Iya-Eko with my bald hairline.
    Now, fellow Bella-Naijarians, I need your help with the following
    1. A good salon that is versed in taking care of natural hair of whatever length.
    2. Good hair products that work well with natural hair, especially a sulphate-free shampoo.
    3. I have a bald spot in the middle of my head. Not sure what caused it. Any tips on how to get hair to grow there?
    Thank you.

• CHINWE May 28, 2013 at 12:26 pm

ASIDES FROM PRODUCTS WHICH PRODUCE RESULTS, U MAY WANT TO DO A SCALP MASSAGE. TO GET THE BLOOD FLOWING TO THE ‘BALD SPOTS’. BLOOD FLOW HELPS HAIR GROW. USE AN OIL/BUTTER/CREAM WHEN DOING THE SCALP MASSAGE. DONT USE YOUR FINGERNAILS, DONT SCRATCH, MASSAGE. AS FOR THE SULPHATE FREE SHAMPOO. THEY ARE AVAILABLE BUT QUITE EXPENSIVE. A REALLY NATURAL ONE IS THE BLACK SOAP. WASHES WELL TOO. BUT IF U CANNOT GET AROUND TO USING IT, U CAN USE CONDITION TO WASH. NOTE THAT THE CLEANING OF THE HAIR IS NOT A FUNCTION OF THE SOAP BUT A FUNCTION OF YOUR SCALP MOVEMENT ACTUALLY WASHING/MASSAGING THE HAIR. CONDITION WILL WASH IT CLEAN AND LEAVE YOUR HAIR FEELING SOFTER

• Titi May 28, 2013 at 3:07 pm

B vitamins especially biotin. Buy a high dose of about 1000mg and take daily. Or wellwoman the one for hair, skin and nails

• Aibee May 30, 2013 at 12:50 am

thank you for the tips.
        @ Titi, thank you too. Will look out for the Wellwoman.

• NATURAL 4 LIFE August 23, 2013 at 1:05 am

GO TO APPLES AND ORANGE SPA HAIR SALON

• Olamide September 29, 2013 at 1:52 am

O’naturals is a newly established natural hair salon. visit onaturalsbeauty.com/salon/ for more information about their location and natural hair care system.

• Emi May 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm

These kind of articles make me laugh because they always come up every year. I have been natural(no relaxer, texturiser, no weave on etc) for 17 yrs when my hairdresser left relaxer on my hair for too long and cause third degrees burns to my head. In regards to hair you actually find you have about 3-4 textures of hair running though your head. Therefore, you need to manage your hair differently. Weather also dedicated how you manage your hair also. The girl that mention the writer Jennifer Obiuwevbi relaxes her hair how do you know that? How do you no, she just doesn’t press her hair with a hot comb?

• ITS JUST A MYTH May 26, 2013 at 4:02 pm

i am pure african and my hair is MAD SOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ENVY COARSE HAIR !!!

not all africans have that !!

i have seen mixed people with 4C HAIR TYPE !! just go on youtube and watch videos on natural hair! and my yoruba friend has 3C HAIR !!

the mixed and soft hair thing is JUST A MYTH!!

anyone can have soft hair !!

you dont need white blood !

please free yourselves from the mental slavery

• Deelicious May 26, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Thanks BN for the links. very helpful! i have been going to BlackGirlLongHair.com alot since i had my BC a month ago. been loving the short hair and getting to know my hair in its natural state. its quite exciting. so far ive only used shea butter and olive oil on the hair as well as shampooing n deep conditioning with black soap (dudu osun) cos apparently it has so much thats amazing for the hair (honey, aloe vera, lime, camwood, shea butter, etc). Im going to gradually include other things into my regimen as time goes on…this month i plan to do a deep conditioning with honey, avocado and an egg (for cholesterol) cos i read that whatever is healthy for u to eat is most likely great for ur hair too . my edges need alot of TLC so i shall be looking out for more info here defo! thanks again and wish me luck!

• Nawa OOO May 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

plz if your hair is not curly no one wants to see that natural mess. now if it is curly and not DRY that is lovely hair.

• The Real Madam the Madam May 26, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Spotter please do not come and shove your nonsense opinion down our throats. Not all African hair is kinky, dry, and coarse. Mine isn’t. How can you authoritatively speak on ALL African hair and expect anyone to take you seriously?

I’ve been natural for 12 years and only just learned to really take care of my hair about 5 years ago. I keep my routine simple: moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. You can’t go wrong with water, coconut oil, and Shea butter. If you follow every YouTube blogger, you will spend money on a ton of products so find what works for you. The 3 products I mentioned always will be a great addition to anybody’s regimen.

I co-wash and deep condition about 1-2x a month and found that this helped with making my hair really soft. I’ve always done the big chop several times over the past 12 years and will admit that the in-between phase is the most annoying.

• meldibson May 26, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Solange wears WIGS! Her natural hair does not have the same texture as her wigs most of the time! I went back to natural in 2007 when I landed in the UK because I heard and saw all kind of stories about the water and weather negative impacts on our hair. But my natural hair has always been very soft. After 12months plus, I chopped off the relaxed part and started exploring and rediscovering my hair. I had sole bad times when I could not do anything with it but I never thought about relaxing it again. Since then I cut my hair 2 times. I make hair so, it might be easier for me to take care or my hair since it’s mu little passion. I do a hot oil treatment, shampoo and put some conditioner mixed with other oil and products before I rince it. I don’t blow dry my hair. I might do it 2-3 times a year. So when I wash my hair, I towel dry it and do some propre african threading style to stretch my hair out. When I go out, like clubbing I either style my hair or wear one of my wigs. But when I go to the gym, I don’t care; I wear my thread or a scarf depending on how old the style is; I wash my hair every day since I exercise and sweat a lot.

• AngelD May 26, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I love my natural hair! I haven’t relaxed my hair since April 2005. My natural hair is very tightly curled but there’s nothing dry and coarse about! As some of the ladies have already posted… moisture is the key to keeping our lucious locks happy. Aslo bin those synthetic pomades and oils and go as natural as possible. Raid your fridge and kitchen cupboards for moisturising and protein conditioning ingredients such as banana, honey, avocado, egg and yoghurt to name a few. I swear by my honey, banana, and avocado oil deep conditioner mix. Get some Ori – unrefined shea butter! I mix this with castor oil and that’s what i use on a daily basis. There’s so much information out there for all us natural curlies… there is no excuse for dry, coarse hair. If your hair is dry and coarse then something isnt right with your hair regimen. I can even have my natural hair put in rollers and blow dried out and you’d think it had been texturised! All thanks to my hair regimen that I have finally perfected. S

• Anita…. May 26, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Somebody pls tell me what a twist is and how to do it?

• Lolo May 27, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Part a small section of your hair out (like the size of a pen or pencil). Divide am into two – and apply small hair cream. Hold both sections tight with your fingertips. Cross one hand over the other. Continue doing this until you reach the ends of your hair. Do NOT “borrow” hair from one section to add to the other. When the sections get too small to twist, hold both in one hand, roll around your fingers. TADA! Na twist be dat :D

• Chic May 26, 2013 at 10:15 pm

And go natural because it is what YOU want not because it seems “in vogue” infact when I look at my mom’s photos from the 70s all the girls are natural. So there going natural is not new people are just more vocal about wearing their hair in its natural state than before I believe we are now recreating the 70s coz thats when natural hair really rocked remember all dem Afro head pictures the 80s belonged to the jerry curls the 90s I believe were the beginning of long ass weaves which came to be even more popular in the 2000’s aka Brazilian, peruvian and whatevian

• deep May 27, 2013 at 6:41 am

I wonder where so many of you guys get your poor info from. GOING NATURAL IS ABSOLUTELY NEW! Our parents never had to “go natural”, they wore their hair natural because relaxers were not popular until the 70s but it caught on like wild fire once it did. We are having to GO NATURAL because of the mistakes they have made, embracing such a mentally and physically damaging procedure all in the name of being progressive. Oh, the irony!

• Chic May 27, 2013 at 1:17 pm

For your info relaxers have been around for almost 100 years and were definitely available in Africa at least anglophone Africa by the 60s and 70s maybe even earlier and yes there are African women in Africa who had permed hair in the 60s and I have photographic and passed down oral evidence of that so going natural is absolutely not new!!!!!!

• imagine the self insult hahahah May 26, 2013 at 10:25 pm

nawa oo NOBODY WANTS TO SEE THE CHEMICALIZED MESS ON YOUR HEAD..

• Marina Oloko May 27, 2013 at 12:40 am

Only if some Nigerians can be polite for once… and be specific and focused in sharing their own personal hair experiences ….. What has solange’s hair got to do with this, defining your own hair type doesn’t mean everyone has the same hair type as yours because we Nigerians..? Please learn to be specific and talk about your hair experiences… Ladies regardless, respect people’s views and be more polite esp when referring to others using @”…. ( The real Madam for madam) … **shove throat*** who says that…. sounds so awkward and typical….. Courtesy is key!

• Okwy Rose May 27, 2013 at 1:10 am

The best thing I ever did was go natural, I hated, hated going to the beauty shop wasting up to 6 hours, argggggg!!! and my hair never growing past nape/shoulder lenght. tThe scalp burns from relaxerss, arggggg!!! agony!!!. Freedom was cutting it all off and working with what my mama and nature gave me. I was a product junkie, boy did I go off the deep end but now I have narrowed it down to suave anti dandruff shampoo and conditioner, olive oil, curl pudding and mositurizer. My hair is a mixture of 90% 4c texture(the most tightly coiled, dry, coarse and worst shrinking hair– but I love it) the back is just 4a,, makes no sense does it?, I have learnt to appreciate and love it, I like washing and styling my own hair. Sometimes I dye it red(am I still natural? yes, cuz the curl/coil pattern is still the same) Sometimes I add marley hair extensions for a nice updo, and most times a massive fro. The styles are limitless. Whenever you go into natural hair know that it is not that easy however it gets better soon as you figure how to handle it the best. I know it is so much easier for me to was my hair if I have it 2 strand twisted, then wash it.

• yep May 27, 2013 at 8:45 am

i need a blog where i can connect with 100 percent Nigerians with their natural hair

• Lavender May 27, 2013 at 10:21 am

I have been natural for as long as i can remember. usually i would braid my hair all year round. i have a mix of 4b and 4c texture. my edges got won out and last year i decided to let my hair breath so i can run my fingers through it. my cousin would always ask me why i had nt relaxed my hair. how annoying is that? the truth is i luv my hair as natural as it is. it was so difficult for me to wak up in the morning and style it since i had early classes. so i went back to braiding again. i do the braiding myself instead of going to the salon jst to save some money. i finally took off my braids on Saturday and twisted my hair. it looks ok but hopefuly i will improve on my styling techniques. my cousin teased me about it but ‘m cool. i want to wear it in protective styles.

• pynk May 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

all this jumping on this wagon or my hair is not mixed. Please quit comparison, even two people from the same gene pool dont always have the same hair. Just decide on the kind of hair you want to keep and work and find out what you hair likes. Mine loves shea butter, coconut oil and glycerin with water- moisture and more moisture, but i have to wash every 3 days so it doesnt get too heavy with product. I’m mixed, and i realised my mom had no clue how to care for my hair bcos she believed keeping it clean and slapping B & B grease in it was good enough – because it works for her.

• Twenty Six 85 May 27, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Most of these tips are very helpful and we always tell people that no two heads are the same. Our hair textures can be wavy, course, fine, dense, etc. We have seen Nigerians with different hair textures and not be mixed with any other race. Most of these tips are pretty standard across the board and work for almost all hair types. The variances may come with the types of products one may need to use compared to another hair texture and also how you treat your hair. This is where an individual should learn more about their hair texture and focus on what their hair responds to or needs. Natural hair is an on going learning process hair can change with age and weather. Visit our site TwentySix85.com “A Hair and Beauty Utopia” delivery in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, and Benin.

• The Real Madam the Madam May 27, 2013 at 7:26 pm

@Marina, oh hush it.

• lolajags May 27, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Thank you poster (Jennifer O) for informing us with this article. I hope it would give people an insight as to the benefits of going natural or just plain simply taking care of our OWN hair (relaxed or natural).

The craze of wearing another ethnicities hair on my own head when my cells are still dividing and sprouting 0.5inches of hair (as these same ethnicities) still baffles me. Personally I refuse to believe or accept that my own hair the way God created it is inferior to or looks less appealing than Miss Brazil or Peru’s hair. My truth is mine and not what the media projects.

I really struggle with this and have been praying for God to give me eyes of grace, but I hate looking at SOME black people and seeing ‘our’ hair so untidy in ALL forms (weaves, natural and relaxed included); it takes away from our physical presentation. I am in no way perfect and understand we all have bad hair days…but that’s what it should be…days..not months or years.

Generally, I find that when the hair is ours and well looked after, it brings out our true beauty because it is 100% us.

Anyways I am a long term transitioner (3 years and counting) and even I will say the journey has had its ups and downs but overall, there’s nothing like wearing your own hair on your head.

• Vivian May 28, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Hey guys. I totally agree with this article that going natural is a personal decicion however, the sooner it is made, the better for every one. A lot of Black and mixed race Nigerian women succumb to the propaganda of having straight hair and many will never learn to love their curly textures. I began my transitioning journey about 9 months ago and finally did a big chop about a month ago. To be honest, it wasnt’t a difficult decision for me because I am pretty strong-willed. I discover new things about my hair everyday and I believe I made the best decision. Please follow my natural hair journey , tips, techniques and product reviews on my blog viviannesblog.wordpress.com

• tybay May 28, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Just did my BC on the 18th of this month after transitioning for a little over a year. I’m happy with my hair length and texture as its very full and long (still battle shrinkage and need to get used to caring for my natural mane). I wont stop braiding and fixing from time to time though, since I love to switch my looks. The key is to take very good care of one’s hair with natural products and less heat… Natural hair is versatility !!!!

• Olaniyi May 28, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I think every lady should just skin their head, so there’s no more hair, save cash, stop body rash, stop bad hair days, stop dandruff, a lot of mega things would stop. Sides its gonna be much easier and shes not gonna need a salon anymore. Just plain hair cream and hair brush on some low cut coupled with waves. Lets see that African skull rocked on point….go beauty queen, whoop whoop!!!

• Cherie May 28, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Very interesting views…

I have relaxed hair (full, healthy and quite long). I relax my hair 3 times a year and in the period I stretch it my natural hair grows out soft mostly as loose curls, ringlets and very less so , coils much like the girl in the photograph. I have to take care of two different textures most of the time as my hair grows very fast so if I went natural I have an idea what my hair would look like (and I love it). 3 weeks or so before my relaxer I usually twist out the relaxed bit of my hair so the pattern imitates my natural curls.

That said, I also love my relaxed hair. And no I don’t straighten it because I feel inferior; I just like the added versatility. I read these articles because I am curious about general hair care but it is slightly disappointing to see others’ judging another person’s afrocentricity by their hair ..

• Jess June 1, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Not really, hair type can completely change when it doesn’t have relaxed ends to hold on to. If you love it why do you continue relaxing? I’m just curious
      IMO afro textured has more versatility. Once you relax your hair that is it it can never be the same again, unless you cut it off. I personally don’t jusde a person’s ‘afrocentrcity’ based on their hair but we really need to look at the context and hsitory of relaxer. Why does natural hair have a stigma? Are we conforming to european standards of beauty? Can we actually take care of our hair? Why do give excuses as to why we relax our hair?
      Peace

• Sabun beras thailand May 30, 2013 at 5:13 am

what should I do so that my hair is not dry and soft???

• hawa June 5, 2013 at 7:55 pm

You should do hot oil treatment and also deep conditioning.

• Miss Anonymous June 5, 2013 at 11:10 am

My hair is a mix of 4b and 4c. When I wash it it comes out with loose curls so now I dab in some curl activator which maintains the curls and keeps it soft.

• ScratchDaddy June 5, 2013 at 7:54 pm

There are “No Cons” to wearing your hair is natural styles.. Learn your products and prosper!

• The Mane Captain June 21, 2013 at 6:25 am

I couldnt agree more with all the points mentioned.
    Going through the product junkie stage is inevitable. Because we have different genes, our hair texture will be different. So please don’t go relax your hair just because your hair doesn’t look like Tracee Ellis Ross’s Hair.
    You will definitely spend MORE time with your natural hair than you did with your relax hair. Curly hair is more difficult to handle than straight, that’s a fact.
    Knowledge is key in Maintaining healthy natural hait

You can visit my blog for more tips
    themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

• Going Natural July 4, 2013 at 11:25 am

First of all really thankful to you , today I have a confidence after read this blog.Great view given by you in your blog.Thank you so much.

• Bubbles July 12, 2013 at 3:52 am

I am mid 30’s and have had natural hair for most of the past 15 odd years.
    I find it patronising and irritating when people go on and on about natural hair being something ‘unusual’. To all those who plunge their fingers into my hair asking ‘is this your real hair?’ Pleaeeeeease, STOP!
    Just get on with i if you want to. If not all good too.
    Most nija women hide behind some sort of weave or wig saying ‘you are brave to be natural o’. Shame. If you take off 90% of weaves, the wearers cant live without them. Rant over!

• chioma August 20, 2013 at 7:25 pm

i am a Nigerian (igbo) with 4a hair and my hair is extremely thick! its also very hard. idk what to do :(

• CheLinda August 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Why so much disdain for those of us who are Black and not 100% African!? We didn’t get to choose who we were born to and mixed with. We live the life we are given and not all of our hair is soft or curly because we’re not 100% African. I’m disappointed to see the amount of hatred toward blacks. Saddening.

• MikeEggs September 13, 2013 at 6:23 am

There are many products out there that can be very helpful.
    But, one must know how to use hair care products properly. If you don’t have time then go to a salon and ask the experts. Here’s a useful tip: instructables.com/id/Hair-Loss-Treatments-and-Options

• kay November 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm

i really need to keep my natural hair but i need to make it soft. iknw i have a fast growing strong hair. if i can just make it soft nd make it easy to comb through….. then am ok staying natural forever pls i need some tips on how to make my hair soft

• DonnaMay April 2, 2014 at 11:59 am

No matter what texture your hair is, be it 4c, 4a, 4b, 3c, 3a and so on you can have soft healthy and manageable hair, its takes time and dedication, you have to deep condition, co-wash, moisturize and stay off heat and relaxers, if your natural is coarse and harsh, its probably damaged, and needs a lot care and repair… moisturizing your hair makes it un-coarse and soft and most of all manageable

• Mary June 16, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I agree.. These are truly the facts to know about natural hair. Article was well discussed. Very helpful and informative. Good job! :)

• Didi August 6, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I hate it when Nigerians are so Myopic. I have 4a hair and i have seen a lot of Nigerians with that texture. All my siblings are 4a too. 4a hair is too common i prefer 4c.

• Mary November 9, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Great article! Interesting, well written and informative. Thanks for posting this. Enjoy your day!