He Plucks His Eyebrows & Finishes My Shampoo! Meet My “Metrosexual” Man

Male Grooming - BellaNaija - August 2013It’s Monday! I usually wouldn’t add an exclamation mark behind the most dreaded day of the week but what the heck, I’m in a good mood.

I especially thank the little voice in my head that told me to look for what to wear last night instead of my usual Monday morning struggle. It’s the same thing every Monday “Should I wear a dress or a top & trousers? Is black too gloomy for a Monday morning? What bag should I carry?” The questions are sometimes endless. I often wonder if guys take the same time to get dressed for Monday mornings?

In my mind it probably goes something like opens wardrobe, grabs a shirt, grabs trousers, picks brown belt, dusts brown shoes and he’s off. Simple!

Personally, like it when a man takes his time to look good. Shave (your jaw & underarms), cut your hair, polish your shoes, match your shoes with your belt etc. For me, neat & looking good is a double plus. I don’t know if I’ve been watching too much Mad Men, but there is something about seeing a man who has clearly taken the time to look great everyday that makes me super happy.

This reminds me of a friend of mine, Shewa who ran into some metro-sexual issues with her boyfriend. Apparently, she was finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that her boyfriend spends about an hour everyday to get ready for anything. “He always goes the extra mile with his dressing, he carries ‘man bags’, uses face powder and grooms his eyebrows.”

To her, that is not the way a man should get dressed. She likes it when a man looks rugged (sort of like a lumberjack) and manly. Shewa wants her man to have a manly musk, under arm hair, a beard, rough features…*sigh* Frankly, I think she has been reading too many romance novels. “To top it off, he uses facial products like facial washes and cleansers, what kind of man does that?”.

Today, a man who dresses well and takes his time to look good is tagged as being metro-sexual, but is there anything wrong with looking good? On a regular basis women are expected to look their best; get their hair done, wear heels, put on some make up, work out, put on earrings, dress to impress, the list goes on. But is it bad to expect that from a man too. Does being a man exempt them from grooming? Even if he uses skin products, does the fact that he is a man deny him the pleasure of keeping his face pimple free? Don’t they need it even more because they grow facial hair?

When I asked my good friend Musa about the issue of metro-sexual men, his answer couldn’t have surprised me more. “I think metro-sexual men are okay. I am not saying they should go over board like my friends who squeaks every time he finds a stain on his shirt, but just take care of yourself. I can tell my girlfriend even appreciates it because when we go out, she holds my hand like she walking a prize winning dog that can play the piano and recite poetry. Besides your appearance is the first thing people notice about you. It might as well be a great one.”

In all sincerity I do agree with his points but there are still a lot of people like Shewa who would rather have a caveman to Scott Disick. So the question still stands, how metro sexual can a man be? Is it wrong for a man to take extra care of his appearances? How can you tell a guy that you think he takes his appearances too seriously? I would really like to hear your thoughts so Shewa can get some proper advice.

Photo Credit: Theguardian

49 Comments on He Plucks His Eyebrows & Finishes My Shampoo! Meet My “Metrosexual” Man
  • Africhic August 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm

A man should be neat and clean, use cologne that’s it. The problem for me is plenty face washes and cream and lotions. A man should not take too long getting ready.

• Been there August 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm

lmao @ scott disick….btw many guys see him as their model when it comes to swag.

• Busarni August 5, 2013 at 12:22 pm

yuck; a true african man is suppose to be rugged joor. leave all dose pampering for de ladies. That is why opposite attract mehn. Girls adore rough buh neat looking dudes. Look rough n neat and leave the eyebrow plucking, facials ,powdering for the females. Abi you wan swing both ways. Lolzzz

• Anita.... August 5, 2013 at 12:29 pm

personally i dont think there’s anything wrong with a guy taking good care of himself,as long as he isn’t a sissy…it’s all good. I think your friend Shewa should just chill and appreciate the fact that she has a guy who is willing to take the time to look good.A lot of ladies will gladly swap their “one -month -one -pair of socks -wearing -boyfriends” for him. my opinion tho!

• nikky August 5, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I definitely appreciate a man who takes care of himself, i don’t know that “true African men” taking care of them self makes them less rugged I just like my men well groomed.

• Idak August 5, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Shewa, your boo might be an ‘after 9′.
    You have been warned o!

• Akos August 5, 2013 at 1:16 pm

A man looking good is not bad at all but the fact that he spends so many hours to do that is the problem

• clarice August 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Take good care of yourself but pls don’t over do it. Can be annoying

• bree August 5, 2013 at 1:21 pm

i do like a man who looks good… but face cleansers is a bit much, plus weekly manicure n pedicure will be over the top… however i am of the opinion that a man must look smart and smell greatt at most times… scot is fabulous, his son is growing up to be 1 too… plus I think uti, banky w, n alex ekubo r fab.. they do pass as metrosexuals though…regardless …they look awesome…

• Que August 5, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Words cannot fully express my HATE for Banky’s eyebrow clipping ways! He fine n weird as hell at d same time- Thank God he doesn’t have hair on his head- God only knows wetin we for dey see!!!

• Que August 5, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Biko for me-clean cut, crisp clothes, nice cologne n trimmed nails on any man gets my attention…. but if we have to start exchanging beauty tips and hairdressers—honeeyyyyy- time to check out!

Lol @ Anita and d “one -month -one -pair of socks -wearing -boyfriends”……… for real- who does dat???? hahahahahahaaa!!!

• Purpleicious Babe August 5, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I don’t mind him looking good but moderation is key… over excursiveness in any area is not acceptable before we know it is him that is making us late everywhere cos his eyebrow isn’t perfect or the shoes aint matching..

I prefer guys that like to look good, keep it fresh and nice…. nothing more… abeg
    leave the armpit hair oo maybe abit of trim every now n then but likes the manly thing o jare,.. *renewsmind*

btw, its been forever since have commented on such posts.miss BN.

• Anita.... August 5, 2013 at 1:47 pm

@ Que…u’d be surprised.Its a crazy world out there!

• Darah August 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I love a Scott Disick and would alwaiz prefer to a caveman except he is the wolverine (hugh hackman)

• Naveah August 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm

There is a line that can be crossed from Metrosexual to Homosexual, ladies so watch your man very carefully. I don’t have a problem with a man using shampoo after all I prefer a clean smelling hair to a dirty head messing up my pillows besides it is only recently that they now have separate lines of shampoos, face/body washes for men and some would rather use what is at hand than go to the store to buy specific brands. However, if dude comes home with fruity herbal essence…hmmmmm.

I don’t have a problem with a man waxing his unibrow after all I do believe eyebrows should be separate or if he plucks stray hairs to keep from looking like Grizzly Adams but if he is getting those suckers shaped then hey, I might have to raise one of MY eye brows in a huge question mark.

There is a huge difference between a man who likes to take good care of himself and a man who a preening queen, the difference will be very clear. I like a man with a nice hair cut, nice clean shave, nice clean buffed finger and toe nails (no clear polish please), pressed clothes, polished shoes and so I see nothing wrong with a man trying to look good for me as I do for him.

• Joan August 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Well this is interesting. I’ll take a well-groomed man anyday mehn, it’s a really sexy attribute. My man does the eyebrow thing once in a while, uses facial cleansers because he gets bumps easily, and yes, he shaves some facial hair here and there every morning lol. Do I complain? No! for two reasons: 1. it keeps him fresh and clean and looking like a million bucks, who doesn’t want to walk hand in hand with her man and be proud? 2. With all that, he is ALWAYS the first to finish getting ready when we have to go out together lol. I think that’s moderate enough o, I have seen men who do not have a clue how to take care of themselves so I can appreciate this one :)

• Concerned_Boyfriend August 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm

This article might be directed at me. Well, I don’t like the term “Metrosexual”, I’d rather say I take time to groom myself. Appropriate care for facial hair, haircut, under arm, nails, feet are all essential to a healthy and sexy modern man (lol!) and I firmly believe they should not be exempted from our daily routine. In this day in age where “Packaging” is the catch-phrase, your presentation will get you half way in.. It is also fair to note that I’m against narcissistic expressions. Plucking your eye brown and the likes is a bit over-reaching in my opinion. I had a problem with spending too much time too but gradually worked on my time and now I’m doing sub 30mins from shower to the car instead of 1+ hr before. Here is my checklist, anything above that is doing too much :
    Haircut – Check
    Facial Hair Lined and Trimmed – Check
    Deodorants – Check
    Lips Seals (For dry and chapped lips) – Check
    Cologne – Check
    Clothes Cleaned and Ironed – Check
    Shoes and Belt coordinating – Check.

• ij August 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm

i dont know how to quantify my hatred for when guys grow just their pinky nail

• Dora the explorer August 5, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I love Scott Disick a lot! In Naij do we know metrosexual? “all are gay” is the common assertion! lol but metro guys can be tolerated to some extent I havn’t had a metro boyfriend so I can’t say much.. But I definitely admire the way they step out looking great!!!

• labelle August 5, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Lord Disick! all the way

• Hafreekan August 5, 2013 at 8:10 pm

That’s what I said too!

• pynk August 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm

i just remembered this guy in NY that used to wear actual makeup. It was funny as hell.

• mujer casada August 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm

no problem. Then he just needs to be the source of funds for the makeup tray!

• dlapikin August 5, 2013 at 4:14 pm

Not every man is blessed with smooth skin and if using facials can help him why not!? I’m a very low maintenance chick and my metrosexual man makes me pay more attention to myself. He doesn’t have to say anything, I just feel compelled to rise up to his do a little extra more often.

• anonymous babe August 5, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I introduced my husband to OLay body lotion and make sure he uses it religiously and now he has amazing skin and I love it.I once dated a guy who never flushed his toilet so I’ll take a metrosexual man anyday.

• chinco August 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Liking the reference to scott dicsick, don’t like him though,neither am I a fan of the khardashians…(Don’t even know if I spelt any of the names right), also don’t know why the irritating guy will be a role model to guys(like sm1 said), yuck!!!. Anyway grooming is important for guys but in moderation.

• Sandra August 5, 2013 at 6:08 pm

The correct name spellings: Kardashians and Scott Disick. The people saying they like Scott Disick are not referring to his life style or him being a role model. They are talking about how he preps and grooms himself as a man.

• e-bukun August 5, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Er guys, please take care of yourselves. Some of my guy friends laugh at me cuz I buy them chapsticks for their dry lips or scream that they have to wear deodorant (sorry, but there’s nothing sexy about BO). My ex-boyfriend and I even joke about how I groomed him and now he drives around with the essentials in his car.
    No need to go over the top, but please shampoo, pluck if you must, use some chapstick and deodorant (for the love of Jesu), and some hand lotion for those gritty palms. Don’t do the most, just the bare necessities ;)

• kilipot August 5, 2013 at 5:27 pm

my boyfriend is metrosexual…I have no problem at all

• Sho. August 5, 2013 at 7:29 pm

All I’m saying is Hugh Jackman over Scott Disick anyday, anytime, anywhere. Ah hah. Carry On.

• e-bukun August 5, 2013 at 8:41 pm

And you think Hugh doesn’t get a manicure and all that jazz? pssssh! Check out the list of metro prototypes askmen.com/daily/austin_100/102b_fashion_style.html

• FK. August 5, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Plucking eyebrows is a no no…

• Suyacrush August 5, 2013 at 10:26 pm

A well groomed man is always nice to see ( nice hair cut, well trimmed nails, clean and simple outfit, no flashy colors, simple and nice cologne or body wash). It kind of brings a sense of self respect from my view. Nonethless, I stand many feet away from any man that is over groomed; e.g. Facial masks, plucking eyes brows and worst of all bleaching!!! I definitely despise the long pinky nail, nose and underarms hair and yellow teeth. That’s just me.

• kilipot August 5, 2013 at 11:22 pm

you can be a hunk and still be metrosexual… why the mix up! you can have d body of tyrese and be metro.
    Anyway, I love my guyz to be metro.. For me the opposite of metro is dirty. You dont even need to do much.shave promptly,groom nails, wear clean clothes, smell good body and mouth- I mean go for oral check up from time to time, I mean real good at all times, clean undies too..boxers, briefs whatever ( God forbid i date any guy that just slaps on this pants/jeans)..ability to clean up after himself.Great turn on.apply body cream for God’s sake…Just be spot on.Is it that hard?

• meldibson August 6, 2013 at 12:06 am

hum! make up for man?? thats too much. I cant have a boyfriend who will take 1 hour to get ready because thats the amount of time I need to get ready myself! unless whe have 2 separate bathrooms and lots of mirrors n space when we can get ready at the same time. I like scott styles, I dnt know hw long he takes to get redy bt I like his style.

• Adeleke August 6, 2013 at 7:49 am

I use facial powder.
    I have facial scrubs.
    I wax my armpits.
    I even use lip gloss during harmattan seasons….
    Most of all, I’m a suave dude.
    C’mon, what a woman can do, a man can also do better :)

• jinkelele August 6, 2013 at 10:50 am

cancel powder and change your lip gloss to lip balm or better still shea butter it works better to keep off dry lips.
      All that gloss on a man’s lips is not suave

myafrolifestyle.blogspot.com

LOL!!! I just love this post especially the comments! you all are hilarious, this made my day! And ij I can’t either understand the pinky finger nail thing, my boyfriend has it and every time I threatens him to cut it off for him he becomes a big baby lol! But I like my man clean, just not overdoing it, I believe every man looks better with a beard, I hate men with only mustache ewww. Continue posting things like this love it!

• IM August 6, 2013 at 10:27 am

abeg it all boils down to the guy and what he likes. I see nothing wrong with a guy looking clean and smooth. And to all the ppl who dont like it, you think all those guys in tv adverts with smooth faces and flawless bodies look like that naturally… come on!

• hello August 6, 2013 at 5:21 pm

theres nothing wrong with a man taking care of himself. but when it gets too much. it becomes a problem. the way i see it. if a man has acne issues he can use facial cleansers. if a man has chapped lips he can use lip balm not lip gloss o. lip balm. and theres nothing wrong with a man using shampoo and/or deodorant. but theres a line one must not cross. i feel a man should take care of himself. but he should know that women are attracted to masculinity.

• birdieblue August 7, 2013 at 12:36 am

As far as he doesn’t use my stuff or hog the bathroom when
    I need it I’m cool.

• Tam August 7, 2013 at 7:09 pm

When i first heard that word, “METRO-SEXUAL” and how David Beckham inspired its coinage,i had to look it up and i must say, as a guy who pays close attention to his looks,”looking good is good business” but…i cross the line at make-up,clear nail polish,plucked eyebrows and the likes.Ladies,don’t tell me you wouldn’t appreciate a man who shaves his underarm,has clear facial skin and manicured nails. if i love my lady properly groomed,why shouldn’t i do the same for her without competing of course…

• jinkelele August 9, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Women do but makeup we disagree with.

• Tam August 7, 2013 at 7:12 pm

lip balm and well shampooed hair work for me as well… You don’t want to do that kiss with chapped lips. lol!

• Omolara August 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Come on! I bet that if some of the females here saw their significant other with one serious unibrow, more bumps on their face than the Bible in Braille or hair dirtier than the sole of a housegirl’s slipper, they’d be dropping them off at the nearest spa to get all sorted out!

It all boils down to simple hygiene & feeling good about yourself. If I take the time to get ready & look great when we go out, you should be able to match me if not surpass me. I’m all for men getting a pedicure at least once in their life – your feet can’t look like Fred Flintstone 24/7! Facial cleansers? Great – more clean, bump -free skin for me to kiss on. Just saying…

• sparkles August 9, 2013 at 3:07 pm

a well groomed guy? yes!!! my bf is clean shaved altho is hair is quite something but i love it cos its well trimmed, he uses deodorant, makes sure his belt, shoes n watch cordinates. he just simply looks good n it makes me wanna step up my game. i think a guy who tries to look good isnt bad, just dont over do it, and yes, i love scott disick.

• Tosin August 10, 2013 at 10:33 am

Metrosexual is good. Scott Disick is not an example o – I think most would agree. Metrosexual just means nice, not all hung up on traditional male-stereotypes, picks up some good hints from the universe on how to take care of himself and his loved ones.
    I definitely seek this out in a guy, cos I need the help lol. I don’t need a master, a provider etc, but I would like someone that adds beauty to my life.