Chika Ike - August 2013 - BellaNaija

Here you have it world, Chika Ike is sharing one of the main reasons she divorced her husband.

Last month, the 27 year old Nollywood actress announced that her divorce is finalised. Ever since her separation, she has received lots of backlash on social media on her failed marriage – from speculation that “she was not a loyal wife” to rumours that “she got married for money”.

Chika Ike's Wedding Day

Single, happy and living life to the fullest now, she shares the reason why she filed for divorce. Her husband, known as Mr Eberibi physically assaulted her for years. One of the many fights resulted in a miscarriage.

Read Chika Ike’s Heartbreaking story;

The past three years has been a very emotional period for me, I focused my energy on work and to build back my self esteem.

It’s been really hard for me to come out straight and talk about this because sometimes, I pinch myself to wake up and not believe that I was a victim of domestic violence. I’ve been through a lot in my life, faced a lot of challenges but this is one topic I’ve tried so hard to avoid and have been waiting for the right time but I have come to a resolve that there’s really no right time because every second of the day, lives are being lost due to domestic violence.

I was a victim of domestic violence in my marriage and that was the singular reason I left my marriage, aside other reasons.

Growing up as a girl, I was always known as the sweetest kid on the block, before I got married, I have been through some relationships and for once no man had ever laid a finger on me. The first time it happened in my marriage I didn’t understand it because I am not the type of woman a man beats but I guess there are no types.

It just happens and no woman deserves it. As a young girl I thought it was love or his way of expressing his emotions,after every beating he pleads , cries and says it won’t happen again, once again I thought it was love and made excuses for him.

Over the years when it kept happening consistently, I started looking for other definitions for it. I started loosing my self pride, self esteem, self worth, and most painfully I lost a pregnancy (Miscarriage). I almost lost my life in the process then I realised how serious and abnormal it really was.

I have heard and read a lot of accusations from ignorant people who don’t know my story, I guess that’s why they are ignorant. I was 20 yrs old and very naive to the world when I got married . “They said I married for money” LOL. I was married to a corporate guy, who had a 9 to 5 job in a bank, lives in a rented 2 bedroom apartment at Egbe.

So do the math! I married for love. I did a traditional wedding. A white wedding and a court wedding. So that’s how much I wanted to be married forever. For five years I hoped, prayed & wished that one day it will all change. But the last straw that broke the carmel’s back was during a heated argument he threw a glass jug to my face and I dogged it and it shattered on d wall.

I saw death flash before me and I made a decision to save my life. I left my marriage.

I am not saying this to draw pity from anyone because we are entitled to our opinions and believes.i am not also saying this to discourage people from falling in love because it’s a beautiful feeling and I still believe in it.

I am saying this to educate, share and talk about my experience as a victim of domestic violence because it is real.

67 Comments on Chika Ike: “I Left My Marriage because I was a Victim of Domestic Violence” | Nollywood Actress shares Story of Physical Assault
  • chichi August 10, 2013 at 11:11 am

Eh yaaaa, I feel you, it. Is well…

• bindiddy August 10, 2013 at 11:56 am

ride on darling

• Deedee August 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Ride on sister…….

• shola August 10, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Eya pele.. Enjoy ur life to the fullest

• happy girl August 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm

we are not sorry but happy for u.God bless u.

• NAIJA 4 LIFE August 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

27 years?

• Onye August 10, 2013 at 1:14 pm

So sad! Glad she got out before it ended badly. My aunt was in this same situation. She didn’t get out even when her brothers tried to help her do so. She eventually went mad and he left her anyway. She’s now saddled with 2 kids, a mental illness and her brothers are supporting her. Get out before it’s too late. It’s not your fault, he’s hitting you. A real man would never touch a lady. You are worth more than having a man lay his hands on you. You deserve so much better.

• jinkelele August 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

mmmm…sigh it was better you got out than you becoming a headline. By the way BN should have edited this excerpt before posting at least replace ‘believes’ with ‘beliefs’

• prettyglo August 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm

just too bad. Thank God 4 everything. He must be a drunkard.

• The Fairy GodSister August 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm

BN, nothing wrong with editing her speech. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Chika, happy for you that you left.

• milly August 10, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Chika you want to kill an Urhobo man abi?committing adultery while you were still in your matrimonial home? Please take a chill pill and rest this matter the guy has moved on with his life. Thank God that he is really a professional and he does not care! And continue with all the politicians money you are whoring for now! My dear you think you are enjoying these men ! But you are wasting your life, at 27, you look 40, please go and sit down Liar!!!

• Haba! August 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I feel sorry for you.

• nene August 10, 2013 at 8:59 pm

sorry for what? is it not the truth?

• iba August 11, 2013 at 8:51 am

please dont bring that level here. dont sweetheart i dont know her personally or what she did in her marriage but let me address your custom. if that were the case i think more women would have died because we know between a man and woman who cheats more in a relationship.
      so why will this work for a man and not a woman? go sit down please…

• Mariaah August 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Iba if its the African Adultery custom I know of that happens in some tribes that I know of then Milly is right. It actually kills the man (husband) or (and) first son before it pounces on the woman (wife).

Now, don’t get me wrong. That doesnt excuse domestic violence.. If ur wife commits adultery and you can’t get over it divorce, ask for her parents to return your bride price (in the case of traditions)!! You wan kill pesin pikin??!!

• Kia August 11, 2013 at 1:02 pm

U must be the ex husband!

• CarliforniaBawler August 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

wow!!! This domestic violence thing scares the crap out of me!!! It really can happen to anybody…damn. In one little corner in my head, I believe all men (especially African) have psychopathic tendencies due to their egos being fed unhealthily over the years even by their own mothers and that just freaks me out. Well, I’m happy she got out alive and is getting back on her feet.
    The statement is well written and she stated all her points clearly, so someone complaining about a spelling or grammatical error or two may have missed the entire point.

• LondonNigerian August 11, 2013 at 8:19 pm

here here… our women need to stop spoiling their sons and making them feel like they can do whatever the hell they want to their women with impunity. In the long run any woman with such a man will leave and then it is the mother’s fault for spoiling her sons life by not teaching him respect for women. We have ourselves to blame. Train your sons properly!!

• pabaibintu August 10, 2013 at 4:47 pm

My dear thank the Lord for your life cause some of our brothers behavior is like animal with no pity at all.

• say what? August 10, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Hi Bella i am glad you shared this story but I just wanted to say that as I much as i like Chika im not 100% sure you should have shown her husbands pic(I like that you did actually just confused as you didn’t do so in another article).what if he is innocent?…if you refused to post the name of the – guy during Chika Oduahs article why then do you post this pic especially as her husband is not even a celebrity…..im just confused if your against character assasination or not…..

• BellaNaija.com
      BellaNaija.com August 10, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for your comment. These are 2 distinct scenarios

Chika Ike has made a public statement detailing what she allegedly went through during her marriage. She publicly named her husband and provided specific details on what allegedly happened. This was the same information which led to her being successfully granted a divorce in a court of law. This is public knowledge which has been used in a successful court case during which her ex-husband had an opportunity to deny or counter the allegations.

Chika Oduah’s article highlighted an alleged incident of sexual harrassment with NO NAMES mentioned by the author. If there was a past or ongoing legal case or formal complaint and she was also willing to name the harrasser. That would be very different.

To put things in perspective, if a former colleague or employee of yours insinuated that you harrassed him or her and commenters on a site published your name without any evidence or formally filed complaint, what would you do? :)

• Flakyjeez August 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Fenq god u got out wt yr lyf.Dnt listen to haterx cuz dtey ddnt mary im u did. Xo go out,shop and party cux d devil’x out of yr hair.

• ogefierce August 10, 2013 at 9:55 pm

erm *clears my throat * i have this strong feeling that you might have been high on something as at the time you posted this comment #justathought#

• chi August 24, 2014 at 6:34 am

Please go to school stop writing crap.

• kelvin August 10, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Its best u left the marriage before he does harm to you.
    Its a shame that some men have chosen to turn themselves into wolves

• Baby for real August 11, 2013 at 3:14 am

Am glad u left. Am not in support of domestic violence. YOLO…..

• chicadimples August 11, 2013 at 11:19 am

Tank God for ur Life!

There is a law against D V in Lagos, ladies take advantage of it!

• forbisi August 12, 2013 at 3:52 am

She looks nothing like 20 in dt wedding pic!!!

• Shade August 12, 2013 at 11:03 am

Issues! Men with issues.
    Soon, women will kukuma stop marrying them!
    I saw tweet post by a fashion designer in USA – EstelleCouture that she can relate with Chika Ike’s story. Another DOmestic violence victim??? I cant wait to hear her own story! Thess Nigerian men will not finish killing our hard-working successful chics O! Marriage is not a do or die affairz abeg!
    #StayAlive! becos if he kills u, he will remarry! Kpakam!

• Ernest August 12, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hmm if u want to marry a nolly wood star just try n do away wit suspect n work wit reality, ur d 1 dat made ur choice not me so be ready to face ur challenge, fellow youth be wise

• Nancy August 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

the best thing to do in a situation of domestic violence is to leave the marriage. but most woman don’t have the courage to do that, they are so scared of facing the society and thinking to themselves what would people say forgetting the fact that if they lost their lives….people will live on. Chika God has blessed you with such courage, move on dear and be happy.

• Don Supremo August 19, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I bow for this kind of stories of divorce weh dey happen for our country 9ja, Chika and ex, we know no the truth; na only una and Baba GOD know.

• Peter enyinnaya August 29, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Chika go and plead to your husband for forgiveness because no smoke without fire.

• damepenelope August 31, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I know that sometimes ladies can be can push men to the wall,but it still is wrong to beat your wife.Differences occur in marriage,but if both are committed to making it work,it usually does.There was one time I tongue lashed my husband so severely,of course he could not match me for words,and I refused to stop…he was so furious that he threw a metal pan at me,and I docked.That was ten years ago and we are still married…fighting,making up,and loving each other more..lol.! I think the truth is you both just keep working at it. Fights occur in marriages,offices,and even National Assembly! That there are fights and quarrels in your home is no reason to give up.There are however some relationships that are Really Abusive,and ladies,if you fear for your life,RUN! End of sermon.

• curious January 7, 2014 at 9:59 pm

your man has somehow convinced you that it’s what you said that made him throw a pan against the wall. Has he thrown pans against men? His boss? His colleagues? Yet i’m sure other men have abused him before. Anywa Well done. He’s got you properly brain washed. Make sure you invite us to your funeral.

• damepenelope August 31, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I know that sometimes ladies can push men to the wall…………….

• Jp September 2, 2013 at 11:52 am

It is gud 2 “look before u leap” don’t u know is a voilent person before u marry he? Marriage is 4 better 4 worse. Be wise my sis.

• Tosyn September 15, 2013 at 11:18 am

Nothing like that justifies domestic violenc. Thnk God she’s out of the marriage. I’ve seen a lot of people bin involved in domestic violet and it doesn’t end well 4 them. U’re young and attractive, I blived there’s a lot of men out there who deserve ur love. Just be urself and ignore haters. I love ur personality. U’re an awesome person.

• Kemi July 4, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Abi oh! But God will surely deliver her, set her free from the bondage of the wicked ones.AMEN.

• Uko kalu onyekachi September 28, 2013 at 9:01 am

My dear tank God 4 ur life n also remember dat what so a man soul dats what he wil reap

• Sunday azogor enya September 30, 2013 at 8:58 pm

But to me dat is nt a gud reason for a gud woman 2 leave her home

• mary October 5, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Its well,carry on,dear,life is not juz alwayz sweet…!itter n sweet sides.

• Gloria October 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Chika i tank god u get out cos my sis is in dis too and she dont want to get out b4 it we be too late 4 she wil die my sis life first b4 any other thing

• mary October 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm

thnks be to God, let him go mama.

• mary October 28, 2013 at 2:12 pm

God loves you just save him

• Chuks November 8, 2013 at 11:32 am

Both of you are not born again. U should first give Ur lives to Jesus Christ, ask God for 4giveness. God hates divoice. Any marriage of two is bound to work, be sweet and enjoyable amidst UPs & DOWNs when U make God Ur NO 1 in all things. – the 1st commandment. Do this & U wil C evry area of Ur life falling into place including MARRIGE.

• chuks November 11, 2013 at 8:14 am

u’ve jst narrated ur own side of d story, u didn’t tell us wat u did dat made him beat u up bcos i know he’s not a mad man. Y is it dat u nollywood actresses do have a reason to divorce.

• Nwoye paul ifeanyi November 11, 2013 at 9:18 am

Well….is far gud u realis on time u better be thankful 2 God 4 saving ur lyf

• CHRIS December 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I sypathise with her. I feel most of our actresses down there dont fit inproperly with most of our guys at home due to cultural limitaions and extended family interference in most of their marriages. Therefore, they can extend their interest in getting hubbies abroad, mostly Nigerians who have acquired abroad culture of respect for women in accordance with the laws etc etc . I am one of her fans for yrs. It is a pity her marriage broke down. If she is interested or any of the actresses down there in getting hooked up with mature and God fearing guys, she can reach me through my email address

• STEPHEN EJEE January 5, 2014 at 11:02 am

Nawa for Nigerian actist and actress oo

• Kennedy Clane January 8, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I don’t think chika ike is being completely honest here. And even if the court granted her a divorce based on wat eva evidence she provided, We all knw our judiciary system in 9ja is flawed. I’m not trying to justify DV, but if a man is driven to a point where he resolves to beating his wife, den she must av rily erred. What if the man is the victim here? I believe there’s more to dis story dan she’s telling. And in her wedding pix, she looks 26 not 20, and i don’t think she’s 27 like she claims. She’s clearly in her mid 30s

• mrs chidukane February 25, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I’m sorry but when it comes to divorce, Nigerian Judiciary is not flawed. Are you suggesting she bribed the judge to give her a divorce? I’ve been to Family court so many times, often the husband ie the party being taken to court doesn’t bother showing up.They don’t care enough to even though papers are served on them over and over again. And she’s saying this boldly to the world, her ex should feel free to contradict her and tell us the truth.Even if I call my husband names, he should call me back not beat me up.Just because your dad beat your mum when you were growing up doesn’t make it right. It doesn’t justify it

• Aloysious Effiong Afahaene January 28, 2014 at 2:11 am

Hello mrs chika nancy ike i thank you for your action.but there this saying that says ” to air is human and to forgive is divine “.please marriage is a long time institution and it is for better and for worse.so please the bible also tells us that what God as join no body should put a

• Eve February 2, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Chika good for you , you are beautiful. Don’t worry about it, you will get a good husband that will cherish you.

• AMAKA February 4, 2014 at 11:36 am

Well Chika its only God dat kns the whole truth, but if bioth of u re born again ur marriage wd ve bn sweet nd successful

• AMAKA February 4, 2014 at 11:39 am

PLS BOTH OF SH GIVE UR LIVES TO CHRIST SO THAT U DONT END UP MAKING ANOTHER MISTAKE, GOD BLEZ U.

• bridget February 18, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Chika ike u beta go back to ur husband.

• Que February 25, 2014 at 3:59 pm

For what exactly? Na by force?

Personally I dont know of her domestic violence accusations, but I’m not buying the act yet! Cos I know firsthand dat she was sleeping around asaba while telling d husband she was shooting movies….. her job naturally entailed lotssssss of travelling n he didnt object… now if she said she was claiming to be a victim of multiple infidelity n dat was her excuse, I would agree, except that even on that front, she gave as good as she got! She got a taste of a richer life n it was suddenly time to jump ship.

At the end of the day adults need to take responsibility for their roles in rship breakdowns…. n no point crying over spilled milk by detailing what she did or didn’t do. If they get to a point where they rethink their decision, then its their business, untill den it is not our business to force her back to him!

• CECELIA JOUAH February 25, 2014 at 2:00 pm

WOWW, U HAVE MONEY N U WERE TREATED LIKE THAT MY DEAR, THEN, WHAT’S MORE ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE US WHO DO NOT HAVE? SO SAD MY BEST ACTRESS, BUT GOD ALMIGHTY IS IN CONTROL. BE STRONG!!!!!!!!!!

• Evanschinasa February 25, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Baby Stay

• Zumatex@email March 4, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Government should create an attitude orientation camp 4 our iresponsibl actors and actressis

• Michael Kenya April 28, 2014 at 11:16 pm

your story is soo touching and i admire your courage…. wish i was old enough to marry you Chike hehe.

• Precious cindy June 20, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Pls get marry 2 another man who will luv nd cherish u nd who also no d value of a woman in a man’s life.

• angel June 26, 2014 at 7:18 pm

U r a cherished lady, u worth who no man shuld touch,u did d right thin by leavin there 4 him so he n those tale bearers wil knw u were nt there 4 his moni bt 4 luv.

• 6ko July 2, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Domestic Violence vs for better for worse… Lets wake up… Let her start being a family woman, take care of her busy husband… Take charge of her home & stop seeking sympathy.. Note that in that quiet place, this forum will be faraway, your conscience will be right by your side and you will realize you lost that modest life everyone is craving to have… Then salty tears will roll down you cheek. Your husband needs to be checked though because he could just be patient with you. Accept you flaws and forgive you. Please, go back to him or ask yourself “IN THIS SITUATION OF MINE, WHAT WILL JESUS DO” do not listen to these people encouraging you to leave your husband because they may be facing much more but they are still managing… If you leave him, he will move on and be happy…. be wise… A rich man may not be a good man…