BN Beauty: What You Need to Know About BB & CC Creams

What You Need to Know About BB & CC Creams - BellaNaija - August 2013Just like fashion, the world of beauty grows everyday. We have had so many new ideas and concepts from foundations that cover and treat blemishes on the face to a whole new way of drawing and filling eyebrows.

Last year and early this year we had a new innovations called BB & CC creams. Now, I know some of you may be rolling your eyes this moment but I have come to realize that being in-the-know when it comes to beauty can save you a whole lot of stress. Apparently Blemish Balm Creams/ Blemish Base (BB creams) are great multi-taskers. They literally take over the job of your moisturizer, primer, foundation and sun block.

CC creams, on the other hand, are more or less a modified version of the BB cream. It has a lot of names but the most popular names are Colour Control & Colour Correcting cream. They incorporates all the ingredients and effects of the BB cream + nourishing ingredients and the aim to give you a more even skin coverage.

Thinking to myself, anything that is rumored to work that well has got to have some quirks. So, I called up one of my very good friends – the internet – and went in search of all the facts about BB & CC creams.

Check out what I discovered.

BB Creams

1. BB creams were first created in Germany by a doctor called Christine Shrammek as protection for her patients skin post-surgery.
  2. After its inception, its popularity grew to the North Korean region where actresses swore by its beautifying qualities. From there, it spread to the western areas.
  3. If you are buying a BB cream, make sure it is mineral based. This makes the cream a lot more gentle on the skin.
  4. Different BB creams apply to different age groups. Women in their mid 20s – 30s should go for BB creams that are thinner and have a light consistency. They absorb better into young and firm skin and can be worn alone or under a powder. Women in their 40s and above should go for BB creams that have anti-ageing properties, sunscreen protection and Vitamin C. This thicker formulas will help reduce the look of pore size, fine lines/ wrinkles and pigmentation.
  5. Not all BB creams give full coverage or a glow. Whatever you are looking for, be sure to cross check the pack to determine what you require and what is being offered by the brand you want to buy.
  6. Weather still affects what type of BB cream you use. For cold weather it is best to use added moisturizer if you notice your BB cream isn’t supplying enough. In hot weather a matte BB cream would serve you better.
  7. BB creams come in limited shades. They usually adapt to most skin tones and not all of them. If you discover your skin tone is out of the skin tone range, then perhaps you should stick to your regular foundation and add a light moisturizer base to keep up with your needs.
  8. BB creams are not highly recommended for people with oily skin, but if you do need to use one be sure it is oil free. You could also decide to use the BB cream alone without any added coverage.
  9. You can mix your BB cream with other beauty products like moisturizers, foundations etc. Just be sure to take your skin and its needs into consideration.

CC Creams

1. They’re lighter than BB creams and are aimed at evening out skin tones, lightening redness on the face and illuminating the complexion. They are best for people with lighter skin tones.
  2. Because of the sheer base, if you have slight uneven tones it is better to use a CC cream. It provides a light cover that evens out your skin.
  3. CC creams usually aren’t as thick or oily as BB creams. So if you need a light cover or have oily skin and don’t want the thick consistency of the BB cream, the CC cream might be better for you.
  4. BB creams often give an oily & ashy finish especially with dark skin tones while CC creams give you a more matte finish.
  5. Based on some studies like the British Journal of Dermatology, consistent use of CC creams can correct skin discoloration within 6-8 weeks.

BB Creams have been said to be better for dark skin tones. Here are a few BB cream reviews from beauty bloggers that have been created for darker skin tones.

Sleek Be Beautiful BB cream with IjeomaUna

Smashbox Camera Ready BB cream with Destiny Godley

Maybelline BB cream with Tiarra Monet

So, have you used any BB or CC cream? What brand did you buy? Don’t forget to share your reviews and tips with us. Have a beautiful day ahead.

Credit: Destiny Godley | Tiara Monet | IjeomaUna | Beauty&Sugar | IjeomaUna

20 Comments on BN Beauty: What You Need to Know About BB & CC Creams
  • Chinny August 14, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for the article!
    I bought the maybelline BB cream a couple of months ago. I used it twice and gave up- it made my face so oily. By the end of the day, my face looked like I had put vegetable oil on it. It was horrible! My sister and friend both tried it and experienced the same thing. Could be that we all had oily skin which the Bb cream intensified.
    I’ve heard good things about the Iman BB cream though- I might give that one a chance and see…

• Kem August 14, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I used Garnier BB cream. I didn’t feel like it had a good finish. I have been using Mac liquid foundation or Mary Kay liquid foundation and I am satisfied with those. Finding the right shade with BB cream can be difficult. I had to settle for a shade that wasn’t really perfect. Well, will try another brand sometime soon. Has anyone heard of Stila makeup? Amazing!

• Berry Dakara August 14, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I’ve wanted to try both, but I have a compact and bottle of foundation that aren’t finished (or even close to finishing) yet, and I’m not a product junkie. I’ll wait until what I have is used up.

• tatafo! August 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm

ladies! ladies!! ladies!!! The only BB cream you should use is Origins BB Cream. For those with oily skin, use it sparingly. You should apply a pearl size drop on your forefinger and apply all over. A little goes a long way. Also use a finishing powder to dust your face, that keeps the oil away for the day.

• Mz Socially Awkward... August 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Do tell… I’ve had two tubes of Clarins beauty balm, which have been gathering dust in my room. They came as freebies with purchases I’d made but never actually bothered to find out what their exact function was.

Well now I know. And Jennifer, I better end up looking like those YouTube beauty bloggers when I slap that under my makeup tomorrow morning, oh!

• Kumbaaya August 14, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Sleek and Gosh’s BB cream are good – use a skin finishing powder like the Mineralise range from Mac to set. I use it during the week for work – for light natural coverage and also under foundation for nights out and weddings etc. also if you have oily skin use a primer – Gosh have good ones

• lola August 14, 2013 at 3:30 pm

lol. you could also mix your facial moisturizer with your liquid foundation for a lighter coverage. will save you money. ive also heard a lot of good things about iman’s bb cream.

• Person August 14, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I swear by Sleek Makeup BB cream. That is the only one I use. I use Iman Pressed powder to finish it up. It stays put for up to 8 hours. even in vigorous club dancing and the sweltering Mediterranean summer heat! Love it.

• igbagbogbo August 15, 2013 at 9:03 am

i tried the Keihls BB cream… definitely not made for black folks..

• ziki August 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

dis is my first time hearing abt BB nd CC cream, nawao, wt is it again? maybe cos im nt really into make ups.

• B August 15, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I use the sleek bb cream in dark! I love it. I usually just use alone as my foundation and use my bare minerals loose powder foundation to set and it lasts. Everyone comments on the glow it gives me and my sister even commented yest that my skin looked flawless. I would recommend it to anyone! It lasts a long time as a little goes s long way. Ive just bought a new one today as the one i bought in october (10 months ago) has just finished :)

• Barbara August 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I have the Smashbox BB cream in Dark and it works perfectly for me. Infact, I did a review of it here barbara1923.com/2013/04/product-reviewfotd-smashbox-camera.html
    I even recommend it to others. I was so sad to realise that they don’t have a shade darker than ‘dark’. AJ Crimson and Iman also have BB creams specifically formulated for African skin

• Susy Qui August 16, 2013 at 6:23 am

Why bloggers or news never talk about the Rachel K CC cream?! This brand was the pioneer launching the first mineral CC Cream on the market in 2010 ! They are very successful in asia and I recently read that they are now going to be on UK (and other europeans market) & US soon.
    I have been using this brand for a year and half now and I am totaly sastified bu the coverage and the texture which is way better than any BB Cream. You should have a look or give it a try. Like any good brand they have a facebook page, twitter and a website rachelkcosmetics.com

• Simplybecause August 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Can anyone recommend a good primer to use under bb cream for very oily skin?

• Queen of Everything August 17, 2013 at 8:02 pm

@Simply because…
    Try the Cover FX Mattifying Primer.
    It works wonders, I know because I’ve tried all sorts and my skin is so oily that you can fry eggs off my face on a bad day.
    But this primer works for me, it also has 1.0% Salicylic acid to help treat your acne should that be a concern.
    It is a bit on the pricey end but coverage is really good with a tiny portion.

All the best!

• ene August 18, 2013 at 4:42 pm

@simplybecause… no time for creams. use milk of magnesia by dr phillips you can get it at healthplus or medplus

• lizzychika August 18, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Pls I need the cc cream, where will I get it. U can call me with this number 07085705020, If u can help.

• èlla August 19, 2013 at 12:26 am

I use flawless by sonya bb creme , it so suits my oily face.

• susan August 20, 2013 at 8:36 am

Hi ,for awhile now iv been researching on makeup and I came about bb creams right now I’m using the maybelline and I like it but not full coverage ,for everyday use cos its so light,pls does any1 know where I can get the asian bb creams like skin57 ?

• hh October 25, 2013 at 10:55 pm

please people of bella naija where can i get Clinique’s Age Defense BB Cream with SPF 30 broad spectrum with vitamin E in lagos. apparently its the best for oily skin and knowing that clinque is a good product i’ll rather search for this one than invest in something that would lead to more breakouts.

pls pls pls reply