Posted on Thursday, August 29th, 2013 at 9:07 AM

By BellaNaija.com

Each and every African at home and in diaspora has a unique story. Many have been through experiences which can only be described as miracles. Tragedy and strife turned around through faith and perseverance. So in July 2012, BellaNaija embarked on a mission! Our mission was to share OUR Stories and OUR Miracles. The response we received has been overwhelmingly positive and BN Our Stories, Our Miracles is now an ongoing feature on BellaNaija in 2013.

Ayodeji Osowobi is the personification of strength, drive and purpose. This 22 year old woman has chosen to share her story with us. From an average Lagos family, Ayodeji pursued life with a certain vigour and focus. She went on the government mandated NYSC program and was raped in 2011 by election touts who wanted her to compromise on her stand to do the right thing. Violated but unbroken, she pushed forward and strove to achieve even greater heights. We hope you enjoy her inspiring and motivational story.

Who I am
I am a 22-year-old simple, jovial, prayerful and goal-oriented person. I am the only girl from a family of six, but recently lost one my siblings to sickle cell. My parents and siblings stay in Lagos and I had an awesome childhood growing up in a family filled with love. Although I didn’t grow up with a silver spoon, my parents gave me all I needed. When I’m not working, I’m either watching movies or engaged in discussions on social media. I’m adventurous, sociable, teachable and a go-getter!

I attended St.Bernadette’s Nur/Pry School, then proceeded to Government College Ketu-Epe and transferred to complete my secondary school class in Barachel Model College, Taju-Bello, Ishaga. I had my post secondary school education at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria where admission for prospective students from Ogun State was competitive, but God helped me. At that time, I was plagued with severe menstrual pain and always ended up in the hospital every month. On the day of one of my exams, the attack started and I was rushed out of the exam hall to the hospital. Unable to rewrite the exam, I was failed with my CGPA dropping really bad. I did a lot of prayer and fasting. I sought the face of God. I graduated with B.A (Hons) Local Government and Development Studies and  eventually I was one of the best 20 students in a class of 300 –– as stated on my reference letter.

The Tragic Turn
I was really excited when I was informed of my posting to Rivers State –– a new phase of my life. I always wished to work in a bank or oil company, but it didn’t work out for me as I ended up as a teacher! But I loved it when I was able to broadcast and anchor events on the Orientation Broadcasting Service (OBS) during the three weeks camp.

In the course of the service year, I was raped. The rape incidence was like a dream. I was raped of my innocence, self worth and dignity, I was dying daily. It was during the election period in 2011, when I had refused bribe from a prospective Senatorial candidate not knowing I was going to end up regretting it. I received threats from the community members as they wanted their son to win, but I decided to stand for transparency as I craved for a change in Nigeria.

The rapist, a family member of one of the representatives of the River State Assembly, dragged me on the floor with my braids falling from my head on the day of the incidence. It was the last day of the Redeemed Christian Church of God fasting, which was obviously ruined for me. I summoned courage to inform my mum of the incidence, as she is my support system and I had grown up trusting and felt free to talk to my parents no matter the situation. My mum spoke to me about the reality of life and inspired me to advocate for others.

The Effect of Being Violated
It  impacted my life and mindset, as I felt so ashamed of myself having lost my virginity (that I had kept for so long) to a man who didn’t deserve it. It was at that moment it dawned on me what a prevailing issues this is for most girls.

I tried to seek  justice but it was a futile effort in a system which wasn’t built to protect me. After being nursed for days by my housemate (who was once a victim), I decided to lay a complaint at the police station. It was pathetic when they requested that victims must report such occurrences with blood still gushing out, in order for a female Sergent (who has no medical experience) to check (with torchlight I guess) to find proof of force and the cuts inflicted on me during the process. Waste of time I guess! The culprit however, called me to apologize, stating it was the devil that pushed him –– typical. My mum asked me to ignore him as the more I speak with him, the more I recollect my ordeal.

Solace & Life After
I found solace in God who consoled me with His words in the bible. I also felt alive again from the soft spoken words of my parents (especially my mum) who never for one day reminded me of the incidence.

A year soon passed by and I moved on with life. Getting a job after NYSC seemed difficult as I had only gained a one year experience in teaching. My mum and I deliberated on the next step and thought the best was to get a job in Lagos and also enroll for a part-time Masters degree.  A friend then advised me to go abroad while the resources were available. Then I decided to study international relations. I believed it was a direction from God.Also my mum’s advice to study a course that will equip me with the necessary information I need to achieve my cause –– advocate for rape survivors.

Post Graduate Education
It was difficult getting into school because of the financial commitment but my mum was ready to support me. I gained admission into Swansea University and was in school in no time. I had God, and also focused people around me, who motivated me to be the best I could be. The first difficulty I faced was the struggle of assimilating the teachings of my tutors (accent shock). I thought I was going to fail, but my parents encouraged me. Then, the problem of job hunting with no success surfaced but I persisted. I wanted to relieve my mum of the burden of stressing about my feeding and housing. Also, I wanted to be independent and was working towards starting my NGO after my Masters programme. I was able to get a job, but it became difficult when I had to combine working five jobs with schooling. I am hard-headed, so I was able to survive because I constantly reminded myself why I was in the UK studying in the first place.

During dissertation period, I struggled with work and also, my research topic because it was new and much research had not be done on it. With hard work, relentless effort, a supportive supervisor and prayers, I succeeded. I graduated with a Merit in M.A International Relations with my specialization in Gender Studies and was one of the top students in my class. My memorable moments were; when I got baptized by immersion, when I got my U.S. visa and when I graduated from school –– July 8, 2013.

Through all the challenges and difficult times, I had someone I could run to (God) and he saw me through it all.

Internship at the United Nations
My friend’s location update on Facebook prompted me to ask questions. She informed me about the United Nations internship programme and I was immediately spurred to apply. I knew this was a good platform for my career path and also, the skills will be instrumental in implementing my cause.

It was difficult getting a UN internship because millions of people from different parts of the world were competing for the same position I applied for, but God favoured me. At some point I had two offers, but all of a sudden I lost both not knowing were I had gone wrong. God intervened and even when I wanted to pursue other causes, I was practically begged to take up the offer as they had begun sorting my UN official documents (It was just God!).

Immigration was a major challenge. My UK student visa was going to expire same month I was applying for a US visa. The immigration rule stated that applicants must either be a citizen or must hold a visa that permits them to return to the country they are applying from. None of this did I qualify for, but I tested God. I got my visa against all odds and traveled to New York.

My internship program at the UN was great, I served as the administrative and communications intern to the Public Information Officer and the Head of Admin for Capital Master Plan, United Nations New York. My unique moments were; working with Michael Adlerstein (top US architect), having passes to all UN functions and meeting Ban Ki-moon (Secretary-General of the UN).

Support System
My support system has been God and my parents. Without them, I might have taken my life after the rape incidence, and I won’t be where I am today. Thanks to my friends and people who encouraged me,  they played an immense role in my success. I am currently interning with an NGO –– Half the Sky Movement –– in the U.S., where I am a USAID project and Social Media Intern. I am pushing to bag a Ph.D., side by side with running my NGO.

Words on Marble
If you are going through any challenge, I tell you, God helped and sustained me through it all, because “…It is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.” Romans 9:16, Psalm 121. Just hold on to Him and don’t let your past be a stumbling block, rather make it a stepping stone.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 110 Comments on “BN Our Stories, Our Miracles: Violated But Unbroken! Ayodeji Osowobi’s Faith & Inner Strength Guides Her to Victory”

Comments
    • leigh August 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Awww ..stay strong .bless

• Ella August 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM

This is inspiring.
      God Bless your struggle.

• babyboo August 29, 2013 at 9:23 AM

my goodness. this is truly inspiring. God bless her.

• NaijaBiz August 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Wow!

• NaijaBiz August 29, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I really have no words.
      I know someone that was raped too.Its so sad that these things happen but may God be the judge.

• Bleed blue August 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Now this is one inspiring story. Rape, even when it doesn’t kill, can sometimes end a life in its own way; but you conquered.

Ayodeji, I don’t know you personally but I’m proud of you. Your faith, resilience, hardwork, determination, openness, maturity etc are just very evident and even infectious. Your parents certainly did an excellent job raising a woman like you.
      Keep it up dear. God bless you loads more!

• Tincan August 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Echoed!

• Tosin September 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Echoed once more.
        Thank you Ayodeji for sharing your story. Wishing you great happiness, all life long!

• ME August 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Thanks for sharing, inspiring indeed I must say. God bless you greatly

• Berry Dakara August 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM

YOU GO GIRL!!!

• miss fab August 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM

truely inspiring!

• darry August 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM

This is so inspiring..may God strenghten you..when are we going to put an end to all dis(rape) gosh…!!!!

• dorcas August 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM

TRULY INSPIRING.GOD CONTINUE TO UPHOLD U.KEEP GOING WOMAN OF STRENGTH!!!

• Dame August 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Am so proud of you dear….God bless u

• eniola August 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Bless you girl, the Lord is your strength, I’m inspired.

• mii August 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Extremely torched,through/while in storm she still persevered, it was only just God dat can do such miracles nd d luv shown 2 her by her luvd ones, i give it to You girl!!! u have conquered a great obstacle i say…

• M August 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM

such an inspiring story from a beautiful young lady

• FEI August 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Very Inspiring

• Meandyou August 29, 2013 at 10:45 AM

BELLANAIJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      You see this is why i come here, not all that instagram #workflow articles….
      You go girl, you have just motivated me to get the hell off my seat and stop making excuses!
      you will go places and may your faith always see your through!
      Damn! this was a good read

• Ada August 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

wow!!!, I am so so inspired, well done dear.

• Payche August 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Yes oh wish people like you who had such experience will open ope like you, for you your God, family, and friends was your support system, for me I only find my support system in God after being raped at the age of 10 with a church brother who claimed to be a ‘pastor’ I told my parents and they swore it never happened so I decided never to stay with anybody cos I find it very hard to trust people esp. the religious kind of people. don’t get me wrong I make friends with guys but once you claim to be a religious brother I give you my other side. funny thing though, this same man will always pretend to be friendly anytime he sees me esp. when am around my parents. I have forgiven him but my children will never stay with anybody esp. males even if your live depends on it. cos I stayed with this man cos the wife was pregnant and was in the hospital that day it happened. Am getting stronger by the day and am so thankful to God for making me strong.

• tutsie August 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Wow! This is so sad especially the fact you were able to tell your story and was disbelieved… :( it is well with you and i pray the Comforter grants u strength to persevere!

• Bleed blue August 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Terrible thing to happen :(

Even worse when your parents refuse to believe. Stay strong dear. This rape matter sha… :(

• Rox August 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM

He who started will surely see to the end of it all,,, you are an overcomer ….. am so inspired

• tutsie August 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM

wow! this is so inspiring on many levels!!! bless u and continue to soar above and above!!!

• chinny August 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM

This is inspiring. My own experience is loosing someone I loved very much,my husband in feb this year,its 6mths down the line and God has been my source of strength. No kids,still expecting after 4yrs of marriage, but God took him on the day of our 4yrs anniversary, just at the moment of our celebration that day this tragedy struck and killed my joy. I didn’t know what to do but I decided to go to GOD in prayer, stepped up my faith by giving my life to christ, had mu water baptism by immersion n got closer to HIM. Since then till this time HE has been blessing me all round,even in d midst of obstacles, challenges, stumbling blocks.I could conquer all through Christ who strengthened me.So hold onto GOD, HE knows all,from your beginning to your end.Have no fear!

• Tess August 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM

May God continue to give you strength to go through this difficult period in your life…and may your dear husband continue to rest in perfect peace. Take heart my dear sister, just continue to trust God for everything, it is well.

@Ayodeji, your story is just remarkable! I really felt so sorry that you had to lose your virginity that way. It is hard! But look whee God in His mercy has brought you! He has promised to give us double for our trouble, and so He has indeed. He will continue to favour you and cause you to soar. You will be a blessing to many others who have faced similar trials. I am very happy for you dear sister, the Lord will continue to perfect His plans in your life. When the time is right, He will give you a true life partner, a man who will treasure you above everything. God bless you dear sister, you will only go higher. And as for the rapist…leave him to God, don’t curse him, forgive him for your own peace of mind, and let God deal with him in His own way. God bless you dear daughter of Zion and your supportive mom!

• jcsgrl August 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM

And here was I complaining about not having children but God has blessed me with a wonderful and supportive hubby who loves me die….hmnn. God will change your story around and you will be like they that dreameth. We might not understand why God allows certain things to happen to us but in the end he will be glorified

• slice August 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

i think you’d make a fun mother. hoping that happens for you soon :)

• Cat on a hot tin roof September 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM

And by the grace of God, they’ll be here soon in Jesus name. Amen. I agree with slice, I think you’ll make a great Mum!

• adelegirl August 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Chinny, I am encouraged/inspired by your faith and strength. May God continue to uphold you in strength and in the warmth of His everlasting love. It is well with you and you shall know true joy again after such a difficult loss.

• Rose August 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Such an inspiring article…… your blessed Ayodeji Osowobi

• Eugenia August 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM

so inspiring……U ARE BLESSED dearie.

• Thatgidigirl August 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I really needed this. I am entering a new and uncertain phase in my life, and this article has allayed all my fears and doubts. Thank you so much for sharing your story, may God continue to strengthen you.

• Zayt August 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Very inspiring I must say! May d good Lord always be with you and see u through. amen.

• Mz Socially Awkward... August 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM

To Ayodeji – Well done, you!!! I’m applauding you in my mind for being through so much at such a young age and still being able to inspire others by your story of perserverance & determination.

You have strength, you have God and you have a fantastic support system in your family. Therefore you have all the resources needed to keep climbing. And don’t you ever stop, that bastard animal that stole a precious part of your life from you only heaped curses upon his own forsaken head (and one blissfully ignorant female will estatically dance down the aisle with him, all in the name of “husband”). Yes, you may have forgiven him but trust me when I say that no taking of innocent blo0d will go unpunished. He took blood by force, from a child of God, no less. Ahhh, the evil that men do will live to find their descendants.

You on the other hand, will soar. You will know new heights of personal and career achievements, your pain has already been traded for incredible joy. And I pray that you will rejoice in discovering how loving and beautiful the relationship between you and the man who truly cherishes you as his mate, wife and lover, can be.

Your story touched me very deeply, I cannot lie. And may God in His mercy not cause any of those police officers to have their sisters, mothers, daughters (of any age), or even their wives, to ever exprience the trauma of rape.

• Ok o August 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I pray for more strength for you. God will surely deal with the culprit!.It is well!

• Mz Socially Awkward... August 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM

And on a general note, the lack of safety for youth corpers just really troubles my soul. You keep hearing stories of young graduates who should have their whole lives ahead of them, being maimed injured and even killed, all in the name of serving their country. My friend’s sister was raped by not 1, not 2 but 3 hefty armed robbers who invaded her room during her own service year. And of course, none of them used protection. Ponder on that, if you will.

Why?? Nigerian Government, what is it all for? To fill your pockets with Naira while other people’s children are being punished for your greed???? Bastard demonic fiends sent from the pits of hell to do evil. You will NEVER enjoy that money, you hear me so?? May their blood be marked on all your doors and on your heads. YOU WILL NEVER SEE GOOD WITH THAT MONEY!!!

• jcsgrl August 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Ami o my sister!!! Rubbish!!!

• jcsgrl August 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Oprah was asking Tina Turner what kept her going despite the abuse she suffered at Ike’s hand and she said there was something in her that refuses to give up…something that wants to keep fighting and get to the finished line. Ayodeji, you found yours and you have caused all the readers to find their fighting spirit. God bless you immensely.

• adelegirl August 29, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Inspirational testimony Ayodeji. God bless and keep you and uphold you in all your ways. You are a shinning star and I celebrate you and the grace of God upon your life!

• TI August 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM

very inspiring. Gods blessing ayodeji. And thank God for the support of your mum. So what happened to the person that raped you?? Its so sad, we dont have justice system in this bloody country.

• nneka August 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Wow such inspiring story. may God continue 2 strengthen u

• Ifeoluwa August 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Ayo what can I say? Wished we had been closer in Swansea. Proud of u dear. God bless you and take you onto higher heights

• The Real Madam the Madam August 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Very inspiring testimony. May God continue to bless you and your family, Ayodeji. You are a strong and very resilient woman and I give you props.

• Wale August 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Inspiring! I feel touched by the message. Thanks a lot for sharing and may the good Lord continue to show His mercy in your life. God’s mercies with your NGO. Success my dear

• tobi August 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM

sometimes i wonder if the bible was right to say “In EVERY situation, give thanks.” although i stil dont understand it, i thank God for the height he has taken u to

• Oy September 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I get you Tobi, but the bible is right, we give thanks not because we love the situation we are in, but so we can move past the pain. I have been through a lot in a few months and i realised wallowing in sadness and self-pity made my matter worse…when i started to maintain a positive outlook; rather than worry about not having children yet, i became thankful that i av loving and supportive hubby, rather than worry about being sick, i am thankful that i am alive..SInce i started to thank, i felt the change in my health..JACKPOT! I’m maintainig the attitude and keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a BFP…

• Ola August 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM

This is what my people mean when they say ” a mo nnkan ti Olorun fi se” May all our trials and challenges spur us to great testimonies in Jesus name.

• Sassy August 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM

God bless you for your courage Ayodeji. Many of “us” are not that brave! you inspire me!

• konne August 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

God bless you in your endeavours

• Doks August 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

WOW. This is truly inspiring. May God continue to bless and keep you. I see you soaring higher and higher!!!

• Adaeze Ibechukwu August 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Aww…this is so touching. God is your strength dear. Your Virginity is still intact for your right one. Never ever feel less than you really are. May God promote you further and more wherever you go! Thank you for sharing! You are truly blessed.

• AAsh August 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Really inspiring. Thank you for sharing this, you are gonna soar higher. You’ve conquered the cross and shall wear a crown. GOD bless you!

• Soraya August 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Thank you for the beautiful story. May the man who violated you of your dignity never know nor enjoy the peace you have; may he never go far in his endeavors and may he never have children!

• Concerned_Boyfriend August 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Wow!..Truly inspiring. I don’t know but this song just comes to mind after reading your story..(youtube.com/watch?v=PD-B1uR6IBY) .. Never give up my people!…Never!!!

• B! August 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM

This is a very sad story. But I want to ask. What is his name? I’m not trying to tell her what she should do or anything, but is it really right that he gets to enjoy anonymity after doing something like that? I’m happy for her , that shes moved on is not an easy thing to do but I would love to see him being shamed for what he did. It seems to me like rapists always get away with rape and its rather depressing.

• obitalk August 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

B! you are the one that pulled the thot right from my head but then again I felt maybe it was intentional to leave his name out maybe she is holding onto forgiving him, because with his name out, the public will hunt him and community will make him an outcast. there are people who will personally make sure he suffers for what he did. We dont have strong laws and investigative processes in this country. that man ought to be in prison even if his victim forgives him, he ought to be a known sex offender so taht other girls will not fall victim to him. remember that sex offenders are repeat offenders and they prey on lil children. Honestly this matter of sexual assault is a big issue in Nigeria and something has to be done!!!!!!!!!!

I pray that our sister who has shared this story will continue to flourish and help women. Godbless you my sister.

• B! August 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Exactly ooo thank you. I was also thinking maybe she is scared and I don’t blame her for not saying anything but it really saddens me. The worst part for me was when I read that the son of a bitch called her and said it was the devil and he was sorry. Of all excuses to make… I feel like crying.

• theNigerian August 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Where is the rapist? he needs to face the law. I am surprised that nobody has said anything about sending him to jail. How can you rape a girl and walk scott free???????

• slice August 30, 2013 at 1:13 AM

unfortunately, no evidence. never ever clean up if you get
        raped. and in general, don’t touch a crime scene before the police
        get there.

• slice August 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM

You are very pretty :)

• X-factor August 30, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Speechless….Go gurl!

• onyeka August 30, 2013 at 3:02 AM

shocked @ ”reporting the incident with blood gushing out”
      how nau???..smh. Ayodeji the Lord is your strength.

• ty August 30, 2013 at 6:50 AM

All I can say is that I’m totally encouraged n i’m not
      giving up

• funmi junaid August 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Wow! Deji as fondly called used to be my neighbour in in
      ogba quarters. She is wel l behaved and very brilliant. The sky is
      your stat off point. Kindly send your cell phone number to my email
      address its siyanfunmi@yahoo.com. I will give you a call asap cos
      ilive in the United States now…xoxo

• jenifer August 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Wow! so inspiring #mspeechlessrightnow#
      God will surely crown ur efforts
      Go Girl!

• jenifer August 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Its unfortunate dat we have so called illiterates has
      security officers # imagin e asking to see blood stains of a
      victim# Yack! POLICE WAKE UP

• Uche August 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM

God is good !!! thank you for sharing with us.. Ayodeji Osowobi you are Blessed!

Police in Nig is a BIG shame..

• spareme August 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM

beware ladies abusers are every where, close relatives, domestic staff,bosses, religious imposters, medical doctors ( a lady was once sedated and as she was coming round the evil DR was abusing her). Please mothers I plead of you teach your sons to respect women and have genuine fear of God. All this men doing this came out of women and do not think of what their mothers suffered just to get them to this world and then do this to a woman!

• Cat on a hot tin roof September 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

So true, so true.

• Ayo Thompson August 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

God bless you Ayodeji, you are an inspiration indeed and I truly admire your strength. xx

• Gloria Jacobs August 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Highly inspirational.

• Mmesoma August 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Proud of you baby. Your best days and your better days are still ahead.

• Oyin August 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

You are such an inspiration! I hope major agencies fighting for women emancipation and empowerment will make use of your knowledge and make her an advocate for girls, and dump all those so-called celebrities that have no idea of what they are doing. This is a call to NGOs to please make use of this talent and help her achieve her dreams. Well done Ayodeji! You really are aimed for the top!

• Nikki August 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Wow! I am so proud of Ayodeji! I met her here in the U.S.
      and she is one humble, respectful, responsible and hardworking
      Nigerian I ever met! When I look at you, you make me want to give
      birth and ask her to come stay with you for lessons. Your drive,
      resilience, enthusiasm is highly commendable. Rape is a terrible
      thing, but let’s celebrate her for turning it into greater things!
      This is really inspiring! @Oyin, I totally agree with you, her
      skills, experience and knowledge qualifies her to be an advocate
      for rape survivors! NGOs should pls see this young talent and help
      her give back to the society. @BELLANAIJA, could you kindly send
      her info to agencies just for them to know about her and see what
      she can do. Speaking out alone is an act of bravery and we should
      make it worth it.

• JJ August 31, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Victory in Jesus Name. Your closing words speak volumessssss……………. Restoration abundantly in Jesus Name. Your are destine to reign…………. You Impact thousands billions zillions for Christ
      God blesss you.

• jojo August 31, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Ay dear u r a very strong woman.I am inspired.so proud of u babe.dnt even knw wat 2 saycnt blieve u actualy went thru dis n I neva had a clue until now..may d good Loord continue 2 strengthen u dear

• buki August 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM

ProUd of u baby girl wish u many more success. story, greatness and a fulfilled life in Jesus name, love u darl

• jasmine beau August 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM

its not easy to be a rape victim cos the memories are too bad,luv ur courage n charisma gal.

• Cat on a hot tin roof September 1, 2013 at 7:23 PM

God bless you Ayodeji.

• Nenye September 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM

so touched.this story made me cry.loosing one’s virginity to a tout is so so painfl and devastating.MAY GOD BLESS UR STRUGGLE!

• ohplease September 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM

May God Almighty continue to bless you and all your endeavors. Your story greatly inspired me.

• funkyunique September 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

God is really faithful. He gives beauty for ashes.

side note: NGO work is sweet… money wise…It can also be stressfree(depending on the NGO and if you are a field staff…). however, if can be really, really, really boring for long spells of time. i remember my days working with one international NGO. boredom wan finish me. lmao

• Anonymous September 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Very Inspiring. It is courageous of you to write this God bless you & keep.
      I also pray you meet (if you haven’t yet) a wonderful young man who will love you dearly & surpass all your expectations.

• milly September 2, 2013 at 7:03 PM

God is always faithful and we should be forever grateful .

• Emmanuel Sofa September 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Ayo, I was moved to tears reading your story. Its funny how you meet people and cant see the pain that lies deep in their hearts. How sweet, jovial, kind, respectful and generous you were, with a positive attitude towards the people you met during your volunteer work with SOFER Initiative in Port Harcourt. I hadn’t the slightest idea you were raped even though you called me big brother. You always made me feel the world was going to get better because I set my heart to make a difference. God knows i would have done everything in my powers to protect you. But like you know me, I dont hold on to negativity just like you – see how you have turned out. Thank you for sharing and also for all the love and support you show me and our initiative. May God give us the strength to hold up our heads while we watch you climb your ladder of supernatural success. I’m most proud of you.

• Funke September 2, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I’m proud of you sweetie. Very inspiring story. The Lord will perfect all that concerns you IJN.

• lulusky September 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM

so proud of you and I Pray that God continues to lift you to greater heights in life, remain blessed

• Purpleberry September 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM

This is simply amazing! You go girl!

• ify o September 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

God bless you for sharing your story

• RJ September 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM

amazing!!! God bless you

• Isabella September 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Truly inspiring! I read this piece and shed tears! Is it a
      crime to be patriotic? Did the community have to punish her that
      bad for wanting a change? What kind of society are we living in? I
      am so inspired by your story and praying that God will take you
      places. I hope people can identify with your story and help you
      fulfill your dreams. God bless you Ayodeji. I just don’t know what
      else to say! Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece.

• Merciful1 September 4, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Daughter of Zion, I give God the glory for your life. I
      pray that your life should serve as a point of contact especially
      for those who are yet to know God. God can do the impossible. God
      bless you dear.

• Kayla September 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

This is most inspiring and am going straight on to share it on my blog. I have dedicated my blog to issues on child molestation, rape, and all forms of abuse. This menace has to stop. Am happy for Ayodeji that she could raise her head up after this ordeal. There are many others who can’t and even die in the process or from the aftermath. I would work hand in hand with Ayodeji and anyone else to see that we curb this evil.

• Kayla September 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM

kaylachanai.blogspot.com

• Dubem September 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM

This has made me cry. Awodeji- you are truest inspirational! Do thank your mother lots, you are blessed to have had such a wonderful support system. She would live to reap the fruit of her labour.
      Payche-stay blessed. I can’t imagine how you felt so young with no one to believe you.

• bukola September 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM

God bless you Ayodeji….i dont know what else to say…GOD BLESS YOU REAL GOOD.

• Noola September 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Certainly moved by this piece. May God give you all the comfort you require. Now we youths have to stand up and sort these issues out .Obviously those old furniture we call leaders can never protect us. I understand you have forgiven him because you are indeed an exemplary Christian but the man should pay for his crime, bless you! Kindly release his details

• seyiakano September 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Wow! I really must say this is an inspiring article. Sad that the rape incident occurred, but grateful to God for the transformation that he has brought out of it all for his Glory. The light of God will always prevail through any darkness, if we let Him to. Thank God you did let Him through, there’s still much more He has in stock.

• Bee September 5, 2013 at 4:38 PM

…..the only reason i click on the Bella naija page. Very inspiring story!!

• belle September 5, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Your story made me so sad, but I am so happy that God is healing you. You are amazing, and I hope you always remember that!

• Adeola September 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM

SHE IS MY COUSIN!!!! I am happy for her because she succeded not minding or letting her past hinder her from succeeding.Who can stand stand the situation,many people have killed themselves over this same issue of rape.GOD WILL CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU,AMEN.

• Ayodeji September 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Truly inspiring! Don’t ever look back gurl…just keep moving!! The Lord is your strength and shield. So happy for you. Stay blessed.

• Curious Cat September 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

the lord is your strength

• mama September 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

am happy you have moved on from this incident girl…..its the rapist who obviously will be lining a sad and sorry life, an i hope for his own good he has truly repented of his ways…..i pray a lot more people will come out to share their rape stories and at least try to persecute offenders because people make rape victims feel guilty, ashamed and try to blame them for being raped…..no man has any right to rape anyone

• themanecaptain (all natural hair & skin care) September 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM

congratulations on your success. and getting an internship with the UN! I feel sorry for men who feels the need to rape someone. I still think the man has to be punished, be an example for men who might be thinking of doing something similar.

• Ayodeji Osowobi September 18, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I just want to say thank you to everyone who commented on this article. Your comments have given me strength to soar higher. I have started my campaign to help rape survivors already, you can visit ayodejiosowobi.blogspot.com/ for more information about we can can help other survivors –– stop the stigmatization.
      For those who said I should call out the name of the perpetrator, will that help me to heal? . It’s only going to kill me the more, but I have decided to punish him with my success story. God has healed me already and I am moving forward. Most people expect victims to lose hope, but I decided not to follow the train. I am only trying to educate people that suicide isn’t the solution to your hurt, but your success will take you places. To all the rape survivors, hang in there, I won’t give up on you. Together we will get justice and work towards erasing this menace from our society. Please join me in this fight, together we CAN #StopRape

I am very much grateful to Bella Naija for this platform. Thank you once again.

• Manny October 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Ayodeji you are right not to disclose the identity of the guy. Knowing the way things work in Nigeria, a smear campaign would be directed against you and you will be distracted.
        You just focus on what you are doing and the Lord that has called you will continue to lead you and take care of you.
        Special greetings to your mum, she made a lot of difference.

• Adenike October 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM

This is so touching girl, I’m happy u’re now a success story and i’m inspired by ur effort… Continue to shine as God leads u