Ofilispeaks: More than Just Names, Meet the Boys called “Aluu 4″

lloyd_edited-1On October 2012, I had the privilege to meet with Jane Toku-Mike the mother of Lloyd  several days after her son had been fatally beaten and torched for a crime that he did not commit. I was nervous about the meeting, I mean what do you tell a mother after losing her son in such a brutal manner? But we spoke and there was one thing she kept saying. And that was that she and all the other parents wanted people to know who their children were, that they were innocent, that they had dreams, that they had aspirations, that they were just like us…you and me.

So last month roughly a year after our first meeting, I asked Jane Toku-Mike if she had pictures of her son that I could use for a project I was working on … you can imagine my surprise when I received not just one but several dozen pictures of Lloyd and the other 3 children. Pictures scanned from a brochure titled ‘Four Friends’ that was made in honor and remembrance of the Aluu4. A brochure filled with never before seen pictures of the children, as babies, in church, in school on visiting day. Just normal everyday pictures with words from family describing their sons.

And I just had to share it, not to stoke another endless debate about the hopelessness of Nigeria or whose fault it was that aluu4 happened. But rather to do something to ensure that the  Aluu4 victims get justice and to remind the parents that we the people of Nigeria have not forgotten. But more importantly that we will not forget. We will keep fighting for their sons, until they get justice.

And we can fight this fight. All they need from us is to keep their children in the news cycle so that the courts know that we are watching and that we will not be silent if justice is stolen from them.

Lloyd Toku-Mike

The name Lloyd means excellent, little wonder he was a wonderful child even from birth. At the age of five was able to draw creatively anything he sets his eyes on, including the Nigerian coat of arms. Born on the 21″ of November 1993 to the family of Mr. & Mrs. Toku Mike of Okikike War Canoe House, Ogbogbo town in Okirika Local Government Area of Rivers State.
lloydIn primary school, he was given double promotion from primary four to six because of his brilliance. He then attended New Covenant Secondary School, Borokiri. Port Harcourt where he met one of his childhood friends the late Tekena F. Elkanah. He later enrolled into another Secondary School the Niger Delta Science School where he met his roommate, soul mate and closest friend, Late Ugonna Obuzor. He was the winner of the third edition of the Silverbird Musical show called turp rap battle for upcoming artists in Rivers State.

Lloyd was a very sociable person, though shy, he was able to mix easily among his peers.

Tekena Friday Elkanah

Master Tekena was fondly known as TK. He was born on 20th November 1992, to Mr. and Mrs. Friday Elkanah in Elkanah’s Family of Olobofika War Canoe House of Kingoli/Fuamakiri/Orumokpo Group of Houses. He had his early education in Port Harcourt at the Nigerian Navy Nursery/Primary School, Borikiri in 1997.

He enrolled with the New Covenant Group of Schools at New Road, Port Harcourt for his Secondary education in 2004, where he met his childhood friend Master Lloyd Toku Mike.

In 2010 they met themselves again in the University of Port Harcourt, Choba where he started a Pre-degree programme (Basic) to study Mechanical Engineering but he was not favored. In 2011, he repeated the programme without success.

tekena

As a determined student who saw life as though difficult, but worth struggling for, with the support of his parents and siblings went again in 2012 for a certificate Programme in computer science curriculum. It was while running this programme that this young star met his brutal death together with his friend Lloyd Toku Mike and others, on October 5th 2012. He was the only son and last child among four(4) girls.

Late Tekena was very handsome and quiet person and also shy amongst girls but did blend very well with friends (boys). Always well dressed, looking sweet and teasing.

Ugonna Kelechi Obuzor

Ugonna was born on Monday May 30th 1994 into the families of Mr Messaiah Amobi Obuzor and late Mrs Uwen Jane Obuzor (Nee Bassey).

He had his primary school education at the staff nursery and primary school (SNAPS) of the Federal College of Education (Technical) Omoku.

He started his secondary education at the Demonstration Secondary School Omoku where he did JSS 1-3.

When Ugonna’s mother in October 26th 2005 passed on, he was by circumstance compelled to change to Niger Delta science school (NDSS) of Rivers state Arts and Science, Rumuola. Port Harcourt where he completed his secondary education, SSS 1-3.

He Wrote both the May/June WASSCE and NECO in 2009 and obtained excellent results in all his subjects. He sat for both examinations at the age of 15. He gained admission to study geology at the University of Port Harcourt in 2010/2011 academic year.

He was very sociable, respectful. humble, caring and mixed with friends easily. He was an admirable young man and a gifted child.

ugonna

Ugonna had musical talents. He featured in some musical competition like the “Rap Attack” that was aired by Silverbird Television. Port Harcourt.

Ugonna was fondly called “Ugo boy” by his Dad and Tipsy by his close friends Ugonna was indeed the best any sibling could think of and have.

He was a young man that always dreamed big. He had a thinking mind and believed that dreams could come true if you put your mind on it. He had always said, he will be a graduate at the age of twenty (20). Ugonna, as a geology undergraduate was already looking forward to his industrial attachment and youth service programme.

Chidiala Loroson Biringa

Master Chiadika Lordson Biringa was also known as Aladdin. Born on 23rd September 1992, Chiadika was the first of four male children of Comrade & Mrs Biringa O.S.

He started his nursery and primary education at Staff Nursery and Primary School (SNAPS) FGC Rumuokoro and his Secondary education at the Nigerian Navy Secondary School, Borokiri.

Based on his love for music, dance and other social related activities, Chiadika chose a career in Theatre Arts and gained admission into the University of Port Harcourt in 2010 to study his desired discipline (Theatre Arts).

Late Chiadika Biringa, a sophomore student of the University of Port Harcourt and was known for his good sense of humour, generosity and friendliness to people and respect. He was a person filled with so many dreams and aspirations.

***

Those are the four boys we refer to as ‘The ALUU4′. They were people with friends, and families – just like you and I. We should never forget that. So feel free to share these pictures, this article, but get the word out. You can start with publicizing their November 14th court case at High Court 21 in Port Harcourt. If you stay in Port Harcourt, go out there and support, take pictures. Report the news, post it on your blog, ping it, Whatsapp it, Instagram it, let it spread. It’s the little we can do.

I was moved and I am sure you will be too.

_____________________________________________________________________________

twitterCompiled By Okechukwu Ofili. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or subscribe to his blog for more honest talk and as @ofilispeaks on Instagram for more sketches!

81 Comments on Ofilispeaks: More than Just Names, Meet the Boys called “Aluu 4″
  • Hurpeyeahmie November 13, 2013 at 10:34 am

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! God help us in this country this is so touching

• oma November 13, 2013 at 10:36 am

may they continue to RIP. its so sad

• Luchiz November 13, 2013 at 10:39 am

God bless you Ofili. God bless you for this.

• yinka November 13, 2013 at 10:52 am

What can I say? Shame on the Aluu community! We hold them responsible for the senseless, brutal death of these promising young men. The book of history would faithfully record the part they played in that infamous murder..We won’t forget! God comfort the loved ones of these departed youngsters.

• Mz Socially Awkward... November 13, 2013 at 3:41 pm

You’re missing the bigger picture if you hold just 1
      community responsible for the serious evil that happened here. It’s
      honestly reaching the point where I can’t take Nigeria’s chronic
      injustice anymore. Look at their faces and ask yourself why their
      story has to be so different from those of the kids a few pages
      away whom Tatler celebrates as being the young Nigerians with
      privileges including a well-protected existence in the UK,
      completely insulated from the madness of being beaten to death in
      Aluu, is it merely because these 4 were students at Uniport? Don’t
      ask me to explain the connection – unless you want the specifics of
      how siphoning the country’s wealth makes funding unavailable for
      key priorities like training and equipping the domestic security
      forces so people understand the importance of having the police
      involved and the policemen themselves actually rise up to do their
      jobs when they happen to be among a mob about to kill 4 young men.
      There’s a proper connection. The blood of these boys is plastered
      on everyone and their children who’re enjoying the money that
      Nigeria badly needs to get fixed. Keep enjoying misappropriated
      wealth while you all heap curses of the living and the pain of the
      dead upon your lives. I know the obvious culprits were at the scene
      but a large number of others exist in the shadows, looting while
      life in Nigeria becomes less and less valuable. But God is watching
      every single little detail….

• ides of march November 13, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Couldn’t have said it any better myself!

• Bleed Blue November 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm

JEEZ! Mz S.A, I want to like your comments in every way digitally possible. You’re so full of insight and you’re completely right. Aluu is one piece of the really big sad picture…sigh…

• slice November 13, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Sadly everything has levels in Nigeria. These kids are even getting more attention than the kids of the real “no name” people that are killed in markets all across Naija for stealing things no one would even miss. hopefully, their case will end that evil trend for even those with no names

• chydee November 13, 2013 at 10:59 am

Thank you for this Ofili, this is so- so- so touching. I’l do my part and prayerfully hope that one day, mob justice will truly be “never again”

• Anne November 13, 2013 at 11:07 am

Ive become a mother for the first time since this very sad incident happened and i just cant find the right words to describe how their mothers must be feeling. What is the human’s life value in Nigeria? I attended University of Cape Coast, Gh and can’t imagine the inhabitants of one of the villages near the campus killing any student for any reason. They take pride that they have such a higher learning institution on their land and are quite protective of the students. How can a human being be so wicked to take someone’s life just like that? Someone’s son. Someone’s future. Can these people sleep at nights? What can make a person this heartless? Why? Heavenly Father, pls comfort these grieving mothers. I hurt for them.

• Product of public Education November 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

Nice one @Ofili * * * * * #we will never forget you guys. # justice4Aluu4

• Raindrops November 13, 2013 at 11:28 am

I am still in shock from the barbaric attack on these young souls, a senseless murder that I will never forget. My sincere condolence to their families and to anyone out there who has ever lost a loved one in such a brutal and senseless way. I will be following the court case and I pray that justice will prevail. I had always wondered what had happened so far in obtaining justice for these souls and thanks to Ofili for bringing this to our attention. I am not sure how feasible this is, but would appreciate it if Bella naija could keep us informed as well.

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Raindrops I think we can keep people updated. Linda Ikeji has been doing a good job on her site as well on this with the court dates and court progress.

• Iris November 13, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Yea the Aluu 4 is one where I have to give her props. She’s been on it on an almost monthly basis

• Juddymak November 13, 2013 at 11:35 am

Always remembered ALUU4 RIP

• kiki November 13, 2013 at 11:36 am

so touching

• aivie November 13, 2013 at 11:37 am

trying to hold back tears, and fight back the vivid images of that incident which keeps playing back in my head anytime i hear the word aluu. my prayer is that justice is served, so that the families of these guys would at least have some closure in their hearts. God bless u for putting together this piece

• kiki November 13, 2013 at 11:38 am

i knew these boys. Tipsy ate from my pot. honestly i thnk i really had a crush on him. bt naaa he was my “small brother”. he wanted to date my “smallie” and begged me to talk to her on his behalf… on the day they died, even before the blogs n news, i heard all the way from india and i wept. then i woke up, it was on all the blogs. to insult me injury, i stupidly went down to the comments. that was even harder. i know its too late i should stop crying over spilled milk bt really, they were innocent. Ofili God bless you. i finished from uniport and i lived in the same aluu community. i dated an aluu guy and i have frnds from that place. again i ll say, theres more to this case than we know and im sure someone is paying the police to shut up n relax. God dey.. it is well

• Enne November 13, 2013 at 11:49 am

Its really pathetic how these young promising guys lost their lives. God grant the family the fortitude to bear their loss.

• Bamz November 13, 2013 at 11:56 am

Thank you Ofili; God bless your heart. This is a great & creative way to keep them in our hearts. My heart still breaks every time I think about them and I haven’t forgotten I still pray for their families & remember them 5th of every month. Even this past October 5th. I use my little fb space to keep us talking and thinking about them. I also would like to use this opportunity to commend Linda Ikeji who has made the ALUU4 story more than just a news report. She also always remembers them. May they truly be at peace. If only I can do more, I wish there was something I could do for their memory and their families. *deeply hurt*

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Yeap Bamz…agreed. She (Linda) does a consistent job
      remembering them and tracking the court proceedings. And sometimes
      that’s the little we need to do.

• Ngobeke November 13, 2013 at 11:57 am

Hmmmmmm…….I always wondered what was going thru the minds of that mob…What would make human beings soo depraved to mob human beings like themselves to death? Frustration, Jealousy, I wonder…Soo soo sad!

• AMY November 13, 2013 at 11:59 am

so touching. May they continue to RIP. Their families will surely get justice.

• nonye November 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Well done Okechukwu for taking the time to do this

• viv November 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm

A Picture is worth a thousand words..to think they could pass for my younger bro fills me with dread. continue to rip

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Yes…everyone of them has a fragment of my siblings. Lloyd’s double promotion is like my older brother. Tekena’s shyness is like my immediate junior. Chiadika’s love for dance and theatre is like my youngest brother and Ugonna’s rap skills is like mine…I kid I kid. I can’t rap to save my life. But they are us though, our children.

• Vee November 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Fighting back tears. God bless you Ofili. May their souls rest in peace. Only God knows….

• zamunda November 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm

*horrified*mouth open in shock* My God,I can’t believe they were so young!Its so disheartening. I really hope true justice prevails here. May God give the parents the power to bear this loss. Thanks Ofili,for showing us what we can do.

• Judith November 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm

May their souls rest in perfect peace.

• Judith November 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm

This is wickedness, RIP

• rootwoo.com November 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm

God help us

• QueenBee November 13, 2013 at 12:41 pm

This brought tears to my house, may their souls rest in peace… and the Killers, have they been prosecuted?

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I am not a lawyer. But the killers, the main culprits are in jail. The last court date was to analyze evidence and see what they would accept or not. The main evidence…the video was accepted, so that is very positive. That’s about all I know.

• TA November 13, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thank you Ofili.

• Bamz November 13, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Dear Ofili, pls if you have a foundation or know of any other thing we can do in addition to keeping their memory alive via social media pls count me in. I am so in support of this project. I will gladly volunteer in any capacity to see justice done and to ensure this tragedy never happens again. I had plans to go round schools to teach the young to say NO to violence but I felt it wasn’t gonna work so I just gave up but in my heart there’s a burning desire to do something so this doesn’t happen again especially after the Badagry lynching. I need to do something to help & @ Viv I feel you; I have a younger brother who finished this year and dread a thing like this happening to him *so broken*

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Bamz there is a foundation. I am working to get the Family or Family rep to give official details on what activities they are doing. Once I find out, I will let you know.

• Tess November 13, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Thanks Ofili. When I heard about them last year, my mind went to my kid brother who was also born in 1992 and was an undergrad in one of the universities. It made me realise that it could so easily have been him. No one deserves such a brutal death, not especially young men like these. That’s why I refuse to watch the video of their death, it would be like watching my own brother’s death.
    I hope we as the youths of this country will realise that what affects someone in another community or state also has the potential of affecting us eventually. If we keep silent when another is being hurt, it is only a matter of time before we too face the music.
    Let’s make the effort and sacrifice necessary to fight against injustice and evil. For those who live in Port Harcourt, please take time to show solidarity with the family of these young men. Go to court and show interest in justice. We have to let the Nigerian Judiciary know that this case is too important to be swept under carpet.
    Continue to rest in peace dear brothers, we will never forget. May God continue to give strength and comfort to your families and loved ones, amen.
    Thanks again Ofili and Linda Ikeji for your efforts to remind us of these young men.

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 8:02 pm

“I hope we as the youths of this country will realize that what affects someone in another community or state also has the potential of affecting us eventually.”

Great point, like the Yobe killings in the north…it affects us. But we rarely ever put a face to those incidents, our politicians rarely visit…they just die and we move on. If our journalist and bloggers in the North could also push to get identities of victims of hideous acts, we could bring some level of humanity to Nigeria.

• Idak November 13, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I had this pessimistic view that the death of these boys will not change much and nothing will come out of the outcry.
    I feel pained to be proven right.
    Bit by bit humanity is losing itself. With such acts, bits of humanity dies a slow death.

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I don’t see your point. We just said that the parents are in court tomorrow and culprits are in jail and on trial. Are just being pessimistic to be pessimistic? I mean Nigeria is not heaven, but sometimes we can get things right.

• Bleed Blue November 13, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Ofili thank you so much for this and my prayer is that the fervent fire of your social consciousness will never ever dim. We need people like you. We must never forget.

These boys’ suffering still gives me nightmares and I do wonder how their family and close friends feel if I, an outsider who never met them, am still having difficulty moving on from their gruesome murder.

Looking forward to hearing more on the court case. May justice and transparency prevail.
    RIP ALUU4 :(

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 7:36 pm

You will hear more. I just spoke to Jane Toku-Mike (Lloyd’s Mum) via BBM and she said she does not mind giving an update (via interview) on life after aluu4 , the negatives and the positives and what they are doing to make sense of the whole situation and honor their kids.

• gracious November 13, 2013 at 2:09 pm

so SAd….really Sad!

• www.weddingdress.ng November 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

This brought tears to my eyes. To the families involved… I am so sorry you had to go through this. I am so so sorry.

• Cancel reply November 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Goosebumps all over as I read this!

• oma November 13, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I can’t help crying….. thank you so much Ofili for this……. Anne u said it all.

• yemi November 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Thank you Ofili for sharing dis. May God continually strengthen u. And to d families of these boys, may God comfort them. Really hope justice is served soonest….

• Nene Morgan November 13, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Our dear country is dreadful. The world is dreadful.
    After this incident, I learned that there was another mob attack on a young man in some area around Badagry or Ikorodu or so…but there was another incident.
    Where are our leaders? Why do we keep licking the bacteria oozing out of their asses? Are we a bunch of loud-mouth, trumpet-blowing, toothless bulldogs?
    Nigeria, please arise! Enough is enough!
    Your silence today means you have already sold out your destiny; you have already co-signed the damnation of your generations to come.

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I hear your anger, but again this article is not to talk or criticize Nigeria all over again but to find out ways we can practically help. Not saying everything is all good here in Nigeria, but focusing on the negatives might discourage us. I don’t know all the solutions but we can try by seeking ways to help.

• Yaw November 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I have not seen the video of their murder yet cuz I can’t! I hate 9ja because of this!

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I have not seen the video myself, that’s the funny thing. But we can still help out without seeing the video. Simply by spreading the word and keeping people talking about it so that the culprits are not set free.

• Yaw November 14, 2013 at 11:03 am

Yes! I already shared the link on my facebook wall. You did well Mr. Ofili.

• The Real Madam the Madam November 13, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Thanks so much for this Ofili. So very very touching. Please share details of their foundation when you hear about it. Any bit that we can do to help will count. May their gentle souls rest in perfect peace.

• Leah November 13, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Sad. Rest In Peace.
    Good Job Ofili.

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Its not just me o. There are a lot of people helping out, we hope to get an update interview with one of the parents very soon. Will keep you updated.

• Yaw November 13, 2013 at 6:39 pm

BN Has inspired me in a lot of way and am very grateful. My life has always been about me and my family but now I have broaden my reasoning and all thanks to God and Bella Naija.

• Unsocial butterfly November 13, 2013 at 6:44 pm

#lest we forget. My first thoughts when i heard the story was how could humans do such injustice to another. How could a group of people decide to take 4 lives? Lives which they didnt create, it doesnt matter if they were innocent or guilty, right now from where their families and friends stand, it doesnt matter. They are gone. Reading this story reminds me of the Trayvon Martin case which i stumbled upon today. Social injustice seems to be the norm, a boywas killed and they found his murderer not guilty? How does that work? God forbid that this should be the case of the#ALUU4. The system may not work in our favour, but I know there is a God and Him alone will pay a kobo to him who deserves a kobo. It is well

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Unsocial you are right about the Trayvon Martin case, even though it ended sadly, the effort in bringing it to the international scene cannot be understated. From celebrities to politicians, everyone was involved and asking for Justice. Sometimes Justice does not prevail, but that does not mean we should stop seeking for it and speaking out against it.

• marculey November 13, 2013 at 7:17 pm

No matter how bad the situation, no one is suppose or should take justice into his hands as to taking the lives of humans cos u ain’t God who giveth nd taketh. I cry anytime I see their pics, I watched the video that day nd I wished it never happened. It may be u, maybe me or someone close to us. Thanks ofili nd may their gentle soul continue to rest in peace

• marculey November 13, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Them no go live better life oooo, aluu community as Una dey put tears for my eyes this evening, Na so God go continue to make Una restless All the days of Una lives, as I cry for the death of these boys this evening anybody wey get hand for this death go dey cry endlessly in jesus name. Rip Aluu 4

• nene November 13, 2013 at 7:51 pm

ofili this is really good of you. however, i still have some questions:
    1. why did these boys leave their houses between 1-3am to collect a debt (as reported in the news)?
    2. were they affiliated with any cult or did they have friends in a cult?
    3. did they personally know the people who caused their deaths?

I think in all, while propagating the message of saying no to violence, we need to also preach the message for children in nigeria to be careful of staying out too late. nigeria is not a place where teenagers or anyone should go out early in the morning, especially a community that is already angered by the recklessness of some youths in their community. the community took out their frustration on these boys, which happens everyday as millions of nigerians are frustrated, you hardly see anyone smiling in this country.

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I don’t know, early this year I went to the club in Lagos between 1am and 4am and came back home. So I am not sure the point of the question.

2. were they affiliated with any cult or did they have friends in a cult? No they were not part of a cult.

3. did they personally know the people who caused their deaths? Yes and no. As reported in the news the person that started calling them thieves was the person that owed them money who they knew. From them on the mob was made up of community members who may or may not have been known by the boys.

4. why didn’t the police stop the mob from burning the boys after they were brutally beaten? I honestly don’t know. I don’t know why Abacha stole millions and people watched. I don’t know why Ken Saro Wiwa was hanged as people watched. I don’t know. But I do know that they are dead and we need to try our best to make sure it does not happen to other people as best as we can.

On your summary, yes we need to tell our youth’s not stay out late. But mob lynching has happened in the morning and in the afternoon and in the evening in Nigeria. And it will probably happen again. So telling children to stay at home at night will not exonerate or protect them from mob actions. Unless you want to go Hansel and Gretel on them and lock them inside the house with chains.

• nene November 13, 2013 at 10:48 pm

you went clubbing to enjoy yourself, no one goes clubbing
        by 9am obviously, and there were other people at the club, so ur
        answer is very different from the scenario of these boys. why would
        a group of boys go and collect a debt at that time when others are
        sleeping? it was not reported that they went clubbing, so that
        whole debt collection story at such ungodly hour is my main
        concern. why couldn’t they wait till the next morning or even
        inform their parents? they were young boys, not even in their
        twenties. like i said, children have to listen to their parents to
        avoid trouble, till they become responsible for themselves. as for
        mob action, it will never stop in nigeria because there is no
        security, so people have become the law. mob actions happen only in
        communities and countries where there is no security (policemen,
        etc). i’m not trying to be negative, but i’m just saying that we
        need to be real and speak on the real lessons and questions other
        nigerian parents have been asking about the killings of these boys,
        which is parents educating their children, and children listening,
        and secondly, the fact that the nigeria police force and security
        needs to be overhauled.

• Okechukwu Ofili November 13, 2013 at 11:24 pm

“like i said, children have to listen to their parents to avoid trouble, till they become responsible for themselves.” These were University students Nene not Primary school children.

“We need to be real and speak on the real lessons and questions other nigerian parents have been asking about the killings of these boys, which is parents educating their children” So if you Educate your child automatically they will become safe in Nigeria…hmmm. I doubt it.

“and children listening” Are you saying obedient children cannot get lynched or that they are safer?

“why couldn’t they wait till the next morning or even inform their parents?” So if they waited till the morning and informed their parents they could be alive. I dunno if I agree. But to each his or her own.

• Bleed Blue November 14, 2013 at 10:50 am

@nene your questions are exhausting and absolutely distracting…brings to mind the same old victim blaming I see everyday when a female is raped.

“Why was she too in his house?” Why did she too wear that dress?” “What was she too looking for in a male hostel?”…Please let’s not digress, even if the boys went to collect a debt at darkness o’ clock, so what? So will finding out their rationale give us plausible answers as to why they were murdered? Did you consider that they may have tried at more “godly” hours to locate this debtor but he was always slippery?

I see sense in warning our kids to stay indoors at night time, and yes that’s the norm everywhere in the world. Mummies tell their kiddies to stay in and be safe. BUT, this issue is beyond being out late. These boys went through sustained torture for at least 2 hours in DAYLIGHT! Please nene, let’s focus.

• omada November 17, 2013 at 12:39 pm

are you for real??????????? what about those lynched to death in broad day light in marketplaces? Stop this nonsense of blaming the victim please.

• NNENNE November 14, 2013 at 3:08 am

May their gentle souls rest in perfect peace. God forbid that this should happen again. Once is enough.

• jinkelele November 14, 2013 at 3:15 am

ofili – abeg leave nene
    Dumb questions, like lynching doesn’t happen in the morning or students in university don’t move about at night to read in class sef. Are they in primary school? I knew of a girl who got slapped by random man at busstop (broad daylight)accusing her of all sorts of atrocities like he knew her from Adam, b4 you knew it mob formed and joined him to beat her despite protests that she didn’t know him. Or is it the wedding reception where money was stolen and the waiters were accused and right their before my eyes the male wedding guests beat up all the waiters with chairs and tables till they bled (wacking their heads with those iron tables). Women were shouting ‘don’t kill them’ and I still recall one of the guests saying ‘u tink say na so e easy to die’. I was a teen then – Jungle justice is common in our culture.

• nene November 14, 2013 at 11:16 am

i am not asking dumb questions. point is, were they going to read their books? no. they were not even in the school premises because they lived off campus. i just think this is a biased article. why didn’t ofili interview people from the school, community, teachers, friends et al. if a student/person has a good character, everyone will talk about the death of the student/person, and highlight the person’s character, but we have only been hearing information from the family members of these boys. i’m only analyzing the case, and there have been loopholes since day1.nigerians don’t like to hear the truth.

• maya November 14, 2013 at 3:38 pm

you have no point at all! even if they were cult members no one deserves to die d way those boys did! i haven’t watched the video but from what i’ve heard it was pretty horrid! the question should be why couldn’t the aluu community call the police? they had those boys and they couldn’t escape, but no they chose to be barbaric instead. Nene you would’ve gladly stood by and watched them kill these boys if you were a member of that community! there is no justification for the horrible death of these lovely bright boys! Nene please act human and stop being insensitive

• Endowed November 14, 2013 at 5:33 am

I cry everytime especially when Linda Ikeji updates us every months. Wow time flies. It’s been a year since these young men were killed. Two of the boys would have been my age had they still been alive. All I could do today while reading this was smile seeing all their pictures can only put smile on your face. May the RIP

• nene November 14, 2013 at 11:10 am

i still believe aluu4 had affiliation with cultists, their parents might not know about it, although because it was a rumor then and most rumors have a element of truth. i won’t say more than i know about this case (because i have facts and sources), but lets see what happens in the court case and if these boys were truly innocent. again, the governor of rivers state didn’t even comment on this case, and we didn’t see friends of these boys come out to shout and cry for their beloved friends (i would do that if my friends were completely innocent), we are only hearing stories from the family, which i believe is slightly biased, since every parent wants to protect their child.

• Mz Socially Awkward... November 14, 2013 at 12:06 pm

People like you stood by in the crowd that day, with their
      minds already made up (like you) to let the boys die because there
      was a strong belief in their hearts that those 4 boys had
      affiliations with cultists. I don’t care what they were or what you
      or the others thought they were, the undisputable fact remains that
      absolutely nobody had any right to condemn them to death and any
      allegation of guilt should have been proved in a court of law
      beyond reasonable doubt. If you can’t create life, I see no single
      reason or excuse that can possibly be given for the taking of
      it.

• nene November 14, 2013 at 7:19 pm

if you have had ur family member or loved one killed by cultists or armed robbers, it is very hard to pity anyone who is labelled a cultist or armed robber. it’s just a personal issue for me and takes me to a sad past. either way, violence is never an option. anyway, i’ll shut my mouth now.

• jcsgrl November 14, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Oh come on now nene…I pray that you are never found guilty of something you were innocent of o! What if they were cultists? Did they deserve to die that way? Yes our justice system is flawed but they could have been arrested and follow the due process of law. They didn’t kill anybody. They only went to collect a debt owed them. Lets not forget that cults in naija get levels. Not all of them are as evil as they are proclaimed to be. Some are just a community of brothers and sisters who look out for each other and not necessarily with the violent route. All I’m saying is they did not deserve that kind of jungle justice and that’s the main issue here. Like you cautioned parents and young people, Nigeria is a very different ball game. You just do whatever it is within your power to avoid these kind of situations and the rest you leave in God’s protective hands.

• Modella November 14, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I was touched reading through until I got to see the most daft comment @ Idak..who let him out again!

• Wooooo November 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Ofili, Nigeria’s case is also spiritual. And you don’t
    fight spiritual with physical. Now to fight spiritual, you need o
    be clean, no lies, no premarital sex, no abuse, no sin, etc. How
    many people are ready to be clean to pay the price. I tell you,
    it’s spiritual thats why some western countries are selling their
    heirlooms to muslim countries or cultist countries. At the end of
    the day it is about Isaac and Ishmael.

• Eve82 November 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Continue to RIP!

• Retta November 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I will never forget you guys, i keep watching d video and its all saved up on my m/card so to remind me of how heartless humans can be. Rest in Peace guys. For everyone else,keep your eyes open,be careful and pray more. Trust nobody but God…

And Nene please shut the hell up. you think if they were real cultist dey wouldn’t have guns and weapons wif them at that hour? Do u even know what a cultist or a cult really look like? you think they would b some bunch of teenagers who go about weaponless at such an ungodly hour? do you think other members of the cult would be this silent after having their members brutally killed, u think say to b cultist na beans? let alone in PH,dat harsh city, abegi!… Well since you have experienced dis guys (cultist&robbers) sure u should know how they operation and u should know they are not easy on the eyes,not like this guys.

For ur info. the reason dey went dat early is to catch the guy b4 he goes off to work, like he’s been doing for the past few days they’ve been looking for him. it’s a guy thing, dey do dat often especially when u owe dem such a huge amount of money. the money was for 1 person (lloyd) and d rest were escorts,dey were suppose to head 2 class for morning lectures after that, they seized the debtors laptop and fone so he could raise the money and then come get his stuffs after dat, only for the d debtor to scream “thief,thief” knowing fully well how dat community’s vigilant group were hungry for any culprit dey could find. these guys were just scape goats. If they were guilty of these crimes, trust me d debtor (lucky) wuldnt b MIA ryt now. Plus they had friends (even dou they were a close knit) that pulled stunts on their behalf. you’re just too closed up in ur own world (deaf&blind) to listen and see. Are you aware dat tekena’s sis was in the crowd when they lynched her brother? (sure your not,remember deaf and blind like i stated) nobody heard her cry,instead dey threated to throw her in there too. Now imagine u watching ur bro die that way. B4 she could mobilize her crowd,d deed had been done ,and dats how we got to know dat the police were with d crowd and dint do JACK! Instead dey gave dem a go ahead including d community leader…
    I just get angry and sad every time i remember cuz i have broda of these ages too.keep thinking of there safety too. i need to stop b4 i get too deep.

Nene take ur time and stop being selfish here. everybody hurts sometimes.

• Amiphat December 4, 2013 at 9:04 pm

A banker closing late one night walked from the bus stop
    towards his home when someone ran past him. Before he knew what was
    happening, a group of people surrounded him and began beating him
    and tearing his clothes. It was after the tyre had been placed on
    him and his body doused in petrol when someone who had been trying
    to yell over the fracas entered the melee and pulled his Bank ID
    card out of his pocket to tell the mob he was innocent. This is NOT
    a work of fiction, but a true story. 11pm is an “ungodly” hour to
    be walking out at night but do you now blame the young man for
    earning a living? The Bank for keeping him late? The buses for
    being filled and not running regularly? Nene, this article is NOT
    about you but your comments have to be the MOST INSENSITIVE CRAP
    I’ve heard in a while. God rest the souls of the departed – If you
    cannot create life, NO ONE deserves to die like they did.

• coco December 10, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Were aluu four were brutally murdered was in front of my
    friends house, people were watching them been murdered.nigeria is a
    country were citizens have to protect themselves cos the government
    wont do anything some of the culprits of aluu4 walk the streets of
    aluu and port Harcourt freely without anyone doing nothing. Girls
    have been raped, ,robbed n also killed and the government has been
    silent all this while.Godbless Nigeria