Former South African President & Human Rights Icon Nelson Mandela Passes on

Posted on Thursday, December 5th, 2013 at 10:55 PM

By BellaNaija.com

Former South African President and human rights activist Nelson Mandela has passed on today, the 5th of December 2013.  Nelson Mandela was jailed for 27 years for his fight against apartheid in South Africa. Mandela was 95years old and he was loved by millions.

Mandela was most fondly referred to as Madiba which is the name of the Thembu clan he belonged to. Referring to him as Madiba is a sign of endearment and respect and he would be truly missed.

His life was an inspiration to Africans, home and abroad.

According to the release by South African President, Jacob Zuma: “He is now resting. He is now at peace,” Zuma said. “Our nation has lost its greatest son. Our people have lost a father.

Rest in Peace, Nelson Mandela

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 68 Comments on “Former South African President & Human Rights Icon Nelson Mandela Passes on”

Comments
    • Pinkfunky December 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Adieu Mandiba!!!!

• Anon December 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Greatness. Rest in peace Mr Mandela. You inspired us all.

• Hmmm December 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM

RIP Sir

• Endo December 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Though we all know this day will come , it’s still hard to take in. You are now at peace, Sir. Rest in The Lord .

• Trace December 5, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Rip sir. You lived your life to the full.

• ankara December 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Rest in Peace…..

• Kiks December 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Rest in peace Madiba!

• Simdamsel December 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

RIP Mandela .

• MelonX December 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM

The Iroko has fallen! I remember when he was released from
      prison, and how hard I cried when SA had its first elections. I
      even remember reading his autobiography, The Long Walk to Freedom -
      which to me is still one of the best books ever written. We should
      all take a few minutes to reflect what impact he had in all of our
      lives and to Black Africa. Ironically, a movie based on this
      autobiography will be released tomorrow here in the USA. Maybe he
      wants us all to watch it and remember again what the struggle was
      about, how far we’ve come and how much we still have to accomplish.
      God Bless You Madiba, God will receive you well. May you rest is
      peace. Amen.

• Mz Socially Awkward... December 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I’m not South African and I kinda feel like I’ve also lost
      a father of sorts :-( We didn’t really want to let him go in our
      hearts because of how iconic this one human being was to the entire
      world but he must have been really tired of all the health battles
      and ready to rest. I pray that you’ve gone to rest with The Lord,
      Madiba. May your legacy inspire more like you to continue to fight
      against injustice in generations to come.

• Mz Socially Awkward... December 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Actually, I’m just thinking about how long he lived and the
        events of his life. God must really be a generous God because this
        man lost over a quarter of his life in prison. 26years in jail,
        thrown away just like that just because he asked for black people
        to have a share in their own country. Their own damn land. He must
        have been handed back those years to have lived until he was 95.
        And I know he preached forgiveness but, damn, they kept him in jail
        until he was 72 simply because he wanted a better life for black
        South Africans, what kind of evil creatures were those white
        people?? Steve Biko, Martin Luther King, the numerous other amazing
        black activists killed off because the white man didn’t want to
        give up supremacy. I know I’m ranting emotionally but racism is
        such a terrible, needless, stupid attitude. It’s only skin,
        dammit!! Wasn’t slavery enough?? Sticks and bones may break our
        bones, names may crush our spirits, bullets may take our lives but
        God created the black man to survive. Oh yes, He did! We have so
        much power in us, if only we fully understood how to make our
        futures better with it…

• Ewa December 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Well said…

• Vee December 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM

My dear, this comment of yours has left me feeling quite emotional.
          Mandela the Legend, lives forever.

• Olanma December 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Awww, Rest in peace Mandela. You did well for South Africa
      and you were/are an African (even international) icon. May God
      grant you eternal rest and give your family the fortitude to bear
      the irreparable loss.

• Larakingz December 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Finally, Madiba rests on… Nelson Mandela finally bids
      planet earth good bye

• I said So December 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Rip Papa Africa! A Leader!

• mama mia!!! December 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM

RIP my role model… you’ve done us proud… we love you! A good name is better than silver or gold…

• Cocobutter December 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I am still in shock!!! Rest in peace, the great Nelson
      Mandela, you were indeed an icon.

• darkchildlovethyhair December 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM

You’ve had an amazing life

• rootwoo.com December 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM

If money can buy you then i will sell my gold.
      RIP mandela

• Lawlah December 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM

MAN.Delivered on.Earth to.Liberate.Africans!
      MADIBA, you’ll forever remain an inspiration.(Sad Face!)

• Eve December 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Rest in peace Mandela. Talked about your greatness in most
      of my school presentations.

• Iris December 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM

And this man right here is how to be a leader. To fight for what you believe in; go to prison for 27 years because you believe in justice; come back and insist on leading together with some of the people who sent you to jail instead of inciting bloodbaths against white people and emptying out the old cabinet (naija *cough cough*); and then leading for one term and gracefully exiting, even as you know there’s still so much work to be done. He’s almost surreal. Because of Mandela alone, South Africans should be proud to be South African. Even as a Nigerian I claim him as a fellow African.

• nene December 6, 2013 at 12:09 AM

he is the MAN! RIP! we should be celebrating mandela day
      instead of thanksgiving, hanukkah, and halloween that nigerians
      copy and celebrate.

• peyton December 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Rip sir

• FASHION POLICE December 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Adieu greatest icon!!

• fuzylizy December 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM

The great man who freed the oppressed and the oppressors,
      who showed that shackles or cells can not hold the human spirit,
      who was head and shoulder above his peers for his political moral
      stature, who studied the Boers and beat them small and above all
      this He radiated forgiveness on the long walk to freedom. Adie
      Mandiba.

• fuzylizy December 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

*Adieu*

• KingsQueen December 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM

an Icon, A Legend, an all round AMAZING MAN… We’ll all be forever thankful to God that he was born…

• Miss_Flygerian December 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM

RIP Papa.

• babes December 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Dear Mandela you are one of the greatest reasons why we
      Africans are free. You are truly the FATHER OF FREEDOM.

• Ivy December 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM

goodbye Madiba…your legacy shall remain
      forever…

• woreva December 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM

RIP Madiba!!! We will always love and remember
      YOU!

• woreva December 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM

RIP Madiba!!! We will always love and remember
      YOU!

• Ohmine December 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM

RIP your memory and the impact u have had in the world will
      live forever.

• KOOL OLA December 6, 2013 at 1:24 AM

WOW…..OUR AFRICAN HERO IS GONE. REST IN PEACE MADIBA
      !!!

• NNENNE December 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Sleep on, great one! Your legacy will continue to tell your story.

• temtem December 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM

MADIBA!!!!!!! Rest in PERFECT Peace!! #Africa’s#1HERO! *sniffs*

• ao December 6, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Mandela’s legacy is that of forgiveness in the face of profound oppression, humiliation, and loss. He demonstrated forgiveness on a grand scale in the tradition of Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr, and by this, he moved his country and mankind forward just as the other great men before him. From a blibical perspective, he acted in a Christ-like manner. God bless you Madiba for bringing peace; espcially on a continent that seems to be consumed with war and strife. “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called Children of God.”

• Leah December 6, 2013 at 5:16 AM

He Lived A Great Life. Rest In Peace.

• Afolayan A I December 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Adieu great hero of our time. You’ve left a legacy for the
      African leaders to emulate. May your gentle soul rest in perfect
      peace.

• Loveth .O December 6, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Good Bye Great Hero

• Thelma December 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM

He served his purpose on earth. Changed the destiny of millions. True greatness. May he rest in peace.

• ady December 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Our leaders should take out time n reflect on this great mans life, his selfless service to his nation. The leaders should ask themselves one question . Would they be celebrated this way when they are gone. The whole world mourns just one man. He would used his poer as the president to fight those who put him prison as Goodluck jonatha is suing d police and other means to oppress people . Him jonathan and other leaders should take time n think what would be become of them when they depart. Its

• Ruri December 6, 2013 at 8:00 AM

As a South African who was born in 1990, i thank God i did not go through what my black South African experienced during the time of Apartheid.
      uTata Madiba tought us the spirit of uBuntu. (humility) though he has passed on now, we, the born free’s of South Africa will try our best to continue with the values he hsa taught us , i.e , Forgiveness, Peace, Love, Humanity, Ptience and perseverence.
      Viva!! a Legend, A hero, Father of the Nation. Si zo hlala se ku khumbula njalo nje.
      RIP Tata Madiba. :-(

• justme December 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Goodnite Papa Madiba we will see you in the morning sleep tight!

• Temitope olayinka December 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM

GOODBYE TO U.YOU ARE SUCH A RARE GEM,MAY YOU FIND REST IN THE LORDS BOSSOM.AMEN!!!!!!AFRICANS WILL FOREVER REMEMBER U,U AVE WRITTEN YOUR NAME IN GOLD ON THE SAND OF TIME NEVER TO BE WASHED AWAY BY WAVES AND WATER,NOT EVEN FOOTPRINT OF OTHERS,COS U ARE UNIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE U,I MAY BE A NIGERIAN BUT U ARE LOVED BY ALL.ADIEU PAPA!!!!!!!!

• Edmond-Joe December 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM

RIP TATA MADIBA YOU FOUGHT A GOOD FIGHT AND RAN A GOOD RACE..MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PEACE….

• stella December 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

YES hes gone am not going to b sad or cry over him hell No, we appreciate almighty GOD for how long he lived.. Now hes RESTING….thank God cos i was sad wen he was alive and suffering…SLEEP ON PAPA glad i was born in his generation. now i need to go grab his movie ;LONG WALK TO FREEDOM’ then i will Cry and rejoice.

• I lost my grandfather Madiba last night December 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Adieu Madiba Rolihlahla, Eni ti Olorun o pa. Your spirit of forgiveness is one thing that inspires me. Wish I had half your inner strength. They took away over a quarter of your life and you still preached forgiveness and reconciliation! Wow! People do to me not up to 1/100th of what they did to you and your people and I struggle to let go of my grudge against them. But when I remember you, it helps to let go of grudges. Men like you are far and in-between in Africa. No scratch that, in the world. I pray your sacrifice and the sacrifices of your comrades who didn’t live as long as you will not be in vain. South Africa and Africa as a whole, do not let their sacrifices be in vain.

Oh and Fuck you Britain and America! 30 odd years ago you called him a terrorist and now he is a hero? mchewww

• I lost my grandfather Madiba last night December 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

You stepped down after one term where others would have clung on to power (African leaders are you listening?). If you had decided to go for another term I am willing to bet my last dollar that no one would have opposed you. It shows you are someone who gives others chances and sees power as for the use of the good of others, not creating some oppressive dynasty I am not a sentimental person but my sentiments come flooding when it comes to Madiba.

• whocares December 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

we all knew his death was imminent.. he was 95 and had serious health problems, but it is still a shocking and disheartening news. this man has done so much for Africa. His passion and drive to fight for his people, and his courage and heart. The world has lost an irreplaceable person. RIP Mandela.

• Nath Ekanem December 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

You shall surely be missed- Rest in Peace Madiba

• frances December 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I didnt cry/will never cry at his death.I smiled when I heard the news.
      I celebrate u Mandiba.u showed forth the greatness in u.continue to rest in peace.

• Tincan December 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Madiba! Your legacy will live on our hearts. Thank you for teaching us forgiveness and humility. Thank God for blessing South Africa and all of us with you. Rest well… you fought a good fight.

• Adaeze December 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Goodbye Madiba! Rest in the bosom of the Lord. Amen

• Funmi December 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

May your beautiful soul rest in peace sir.

• ogeAdiro December 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM

He came, he saw, he conquered. A life worthy of emulation. Sir, I salute you.

• AA December 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Africa in particular and the world in general have lost a true hero!!! I have always prayed and wished he lasted hundred years or even more but God knows best. Rest in peace madiba, you will forever be missed!!!

• Tokunbo December 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

You CAME, You SAW, and you definitely CONQUERED!!! Farewell Madiba

• Turi December 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Stong! Resilient!! Powerful!!! Viva Madiba

• Gattie December 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Rest in Peace TATA Madiba above all you have taught me what forgive ness really means.i didnt want you to suffer at the same time i didnt want you to live us.God knows best.Africa is blessed.Our leaders who still hunger for power should reflect /and take a good picture at your life THEN AFRICA WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN.

• Madonna December 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The world have lost a great icon Madiba will never be forgotten his legacy will always live with us

• Nyasha Mabhedhla December 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Lala ngoxolo ….sizohlala sikukhumbula njalo !
      Rest in Peace, your legecy will live on Tata Madiba

• fescolink December 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM

He faught for his people nt only SA alne bt to d whole generation in africa rest in peace , onlike people on earth ar sayin ur deeds may god reward in heaven a place of honor . Great iroko has withdrawn .
      Rest in perfect papa africa.

• Thomas December 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

RIP Mandiba. To me, he is and forever will be what people need to emulate. A symbolism of “Let go and Let GOD”. He said this, ” If I can let go of all my anger of my oppressors, then I am just as free as a bird.” Maybe we as a people need to learn a lot more about ourselves not only as what God has given us to have a purpose here on Earth, but every piece of humankind. Surely, some fall short but just know he is in peace because his job is done, now it is our turn to do our part in continuing his job. GOD Bless us all.

• Tosin December 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Once again time to recall this Fuji song from when I was a
      child: Mandela, Mandela, iwo ni o fara jiya nitori ominira (who
      suffered for the cause of freedom), congratulation on your freedom.
      A man loved far and wide.

• Modella December 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM