Isio Wanogho

Isio Wanogho

The Future Awards 2013 was a spectacular sight to behold yesterday Friday 20th December 2013 at the Aztec Arcum Hall, Port Harcourt, Rivers.

Top media personality Toke Makinwa and rap star Vector hosted the annual awards ceremony. 16 outstanding individuals in business, entertainment, politics, science and technology and education, were honoured with the coveted awards.

All nominees were aged 32 were 31 in the period under review – 2012/2013. BellaNaija‘s Editor-in-chief and Chief Executive Officer Uche Pedro, 29, was awarded the Prize in Entertainment Enterprise.

And of course, the event had loads of stars who flew in from various cities of the federation. They include Gbenro Ajibade, Kemi “Lala” Akindoju, OC Ukeje, Isio Wanogho, Julius Agwu and Timi Dakolo as well as Governor Rotimi Amaechi, Adesuwa Onyenokwe of TW Magazine and a representative of the Tony Elumelu Foundation Wiebe Boer.

Check out the photos!

Jesse Jagz

Gbenro Ajibade & Isio Wanogho

Gbenro Ajibade & Isio Wanogho

OC Ukeje, Julius Agwu & Gbenro Ajibade

OC Ukeje, Julius Agwu & Gbenro Ajibade

The Future Awards 2013 Full List of Winners
The Future Awards Prize in Advocacy & Activism: Orode Ryan-Okpu (24)
The Future Awards Prize in Science & Technology: Hugo Obi (32)

Ife Adebayo

Ife Adebayo

The Future Awards Prize in Community Action: Ife Adebayo (30)

Kingsley Ezeani

Kingsley Ezeani

The Future Awards Prize in New Media: Kingsley Ezeani (23)

Inside The Future Awards 2013 - December 2013 - BellaNaija - 028

OC Ukeje

The Future Awards Prize in Entertainment Talent: OC Ukeje (32)
The Future Awards Prize in Entertainment Enterprise: Uche Pedro of BellaNaija.com (29)
The Future Awards Prize in Journalism: Toyosi Ogunseye (29)

Saeed Jumah

CEO Tony Elumelu Foundation Dr. Wiebe Boer & Dr. Saeed Jumah

The Tony Elumelu Award for Business: Saheed Jumah (28)
The Future Awards Prize in Public Service: Dr. Adanna Chukwuma (31)
The Future Awards Prize in Professional Service: Kayode Temenu (29)
The Future Awards Prize in Agriculture: Precious Peter Nweke (31)
The Future Awards Prize in Fashion & Style: Aisha Bello (24)
The Future Awards Prize in Arts & Culture: Kenneth Gyang (27)

Jobberman

Jobberman Wins!

The Future Awards Prize in Enterprise Support: Ayodeji Adewunmi (29), Opeyemi Awoyemi (25), and Olalekan Olude (29) of Jobberman
The Future Awards Prize in Education: Otto Orondaam (26)
The Young Person of the Year: Ashish Thakkar (32)

33 Comments on The Future Awards 2013: First Photos & Full List of Winners – OC Ukeje, Uche Pedro of BellaNaija & Jobberman Trio
  • Madman December 21, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Isis looks like Joy Ighdaro… or is it just me

• Felinda1 December 21, 2013 at 6:58 pm

This dude is soooooooooo overated

• Rhoda December 21, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Congrats to all the winners! Future Awards 2014, here I
    come.

• Leah December 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Holy make up! Congratulations to all the winners.

• nike December 21, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Where is Uche Pedro’s picture???

• Anonymous December 22, 2013 at 8:09 am

Same reason I’m here. HISS!

• Anonymous December 21, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Wow… Nice to see Uche Pedro on the list again… So well deserved.

comicrepublicmedia.com

• Nne December 21, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Ugly green tie backs. Congrats OC.

• http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/ December 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Nice. Isi looks great!
    africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk

• Tunji December 21, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Who is the guy with Isi on orange tie

• Titi December 21, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Somethng is wrong with the way Toke wears make-up, it makes her face look too strong and masculine. She needs to wear less make up to soften her features……..not a hater just candid advice.

• H’s boo December 23, 2013 at 11:47 am

u surely are not a hater! Fact#

• Chigbo December 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm

That Adesuwa woman looks so graceful . Loving the hair and skin. Hope I look like that when I m her age!

• me December 21, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Y exactly do they award this OC Ukeje. Now? I need a honst explanation!me think the media over hype him

• Gloria December 21, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I love the first dress and Kemis Jumpsuit. I love jumpsuits

• Tosin December 22, 2013 at 6:32 am

Awww nice.

• Tosin December 22, 2013 at 10:45 am
  • Poison Ivy December 22, 2013 at 12:51 pm

“OC UKEJE, hyping sef,e too much haba

• The K December 22, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Congrats to the winners. They all MAJORLY looked nice in their respective outfits. I guess those who have been on the look-out for Toke’s knuckles would lay that to rest today :). So she really was bleaching after all? Smh. Aside from that, I admire her very resilient spirit and strong personality amidst all the media buzz and negative words thrown at her.
    Also, I noticed how Uche Pedro’s pictures are never put up in posts that concern her. I can swear so many commenters here are still eagerly waiting for her wedding to be featured here even after all these years. Probably her personal decision?? I will stay hopeful though…

• ami December 22, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Vector looks delicious. hmmmmmmmmmm

• Simplybecause December 22, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I am here for Toke’s weave!!! Ah ah that hair is laiddddddddd!! Please who is her supplier/colorist/installer? Any info will be much appreciated

• dolly December 23, 2013 at 5:08 am

Dear nollywood no matter the hype, or how u force OC Ukeje to be accepted as the next Ramsey Noah or even RMD ya failed. After the sudden hype I tried to convince myself to give his movie another chance, girl was I bored. …..he’s so mechanical I honestly can’t deal but then I ‘ll let rock than have Alex Ekubo or Uti win any kind of acting award

• DAMMY December 23, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Bella whr art you thou

• nnenna December 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

dis oc ukeje or whatever is just too over hyped. ahn ahn we no get any other upcoming actor? he is always like a remote control in the advert of his movies, i cant stand him.

• qq December 23, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I quote ” I have absolute confidence in the strength and ability of the Nigerian youth. All over the world, the Nigerian youth is a newsmaker, known for exhibiting talent, using his brain either to redeem or to reduce whichever system he is in. The Nigerian youth, despite having bad role models, has defied setbacks and limitations to climb up the ladder of excellence. This is why I am among the many upset by the misrepresentation of their achievements by the sham called “The Future Awards” – an award which was designed to highlight these achievements, but has been reduced to rewarding the ‘efforts’ of the organisers and their friends and friends of their friends!
    Whoever is in charge of TFA – a comedian who has recently published a list of 100 most outstanding young Nigerians embarrassingly dubbed “The 100 Guardians of the Future” – has not only misrepresented the achievements of young Nigerians home and abroad, but is delusional for actually believing that cyberspace is a dependable database of successful Nigerians. Going through the list was depressing; I kept muttering, “Are these people really exceptional?” “What here is beyond ordinary?” “How about X?” “What about Y? Z?” The list just validated the obvious, that TFA is really just a haughty celebration of mediocrity. A body with no fund for research in the age of Google has no business scoring the success of Nigerians and if it must, let it not embarrass the nation with a ridiculous list of self-adulatory make-up artists, actors, musicians, bloggers, and small-time entrepreneurs – tired and irrelevant – as the best of us!

This is why I dismiss the average Nigerian online for pandering to delusions that only escalate our woes: the posturing that we are the best, or represent the best mainly because we can afford the luxury of maximising the use of our gadgets. The Nigerians on Twitter especially, ever elitist in their thinking and method of approaching the nation’s political evolution and social realities, allied to nominate friends or Facebooking-and-tweeting citizens who do what a thousand others outside the social media do even better. The honourees are a cheap list of young Nigerians whose peculiarities are praised because the really peculiar do not tweet or are less known.

A click or two into Google search bar would’ve been motivating. There are Nigerians who graduated top of Ivy League colleges at 19 or a little older, became sought-after scientists and are now among the world’s finest scientists. If we must honour academic excellence, there are many of them. We have hundreds of them! Still in their 20s! Despite all the country has passed through this year, we find in the “Advocacy and Activism” category of TFA a list without a people who are risking their lives fighting Boko Haram, exhibiting a measure of appreciable humanity in the land of terror. No, I don’t mean the JTF soldiers. I mean the young and patriotic men audaciously referred to as “Civilian JTF”. Is there any advocacy or activism as dangerous this year? And there are also young Nigerians risking their lives in the peace building efforts across crises-ridden regions – like the organisers of “Peace Football” in Jos, attempting to blur the ethno-religious lines on the map of that awfully segregated city – yet their struggles are not mentioned in our tweets. Those are influential Nigerians, those are Nigerians who have touched lives intellectually, culturally, economically, politically, name it!

The tragedy is, nominating this people is a waste of time. They are virtually nonexistent: no Twitter account, no Facebook account, no friend and no follower. Nobody to promote their cause. Our obsession with the virtual world has affected our understanding of our realities, and that is why I won’t be surprised if Goodluck Jonathan ends up as our President in 2015. We’re embarrassingly disconnected from our realities. And if this list is a representation of our best, then we’re unfit to succeed these extraordinary Vagabonds in Power!

We appreciate only what we know, that I understand. But that is not the essence of an award. I minded my business when TFA used to be awards shared among friends and friends of friends and friend of friends’ friends, but the moment they gathered at Mr. President’s shadow and declared that those indeed are representatives of our best, the fraud became too obvious, impossible to ignore. Some journalists, for instance, risked their lives, and their families’, exposing the evils of, say, Boko Haram. Some were killed. Some were arrested. Some fled. None was considered for recognition. A few journalists sit in Abuja pinging and tweeting and sensationalising what actual journalists have exposed. Yet only the tweeting group is found worthy of an award for excellence in journalism. And nobody finds anything wrong here. Some journalists have been praised for merely contributing articles to foreign media. And there is another now in exile, with his family, suffering – for stirring Boko Haram’s nest in his newsgathering adventures. He remains unsung!

The Future Awards (TFA) misrepresents our achievements, simple. It’s a popularity contest that not only insults the intelligence and sensibilities of hardworking Nigerians, but hauntingly fraudulent. Its mission is bold, misleading and disturbing. How do we actually gauge an awardee’s influence? In cyberspace: by his ‘followers,’ and by his ‘friends’, no doubt. If we must reward our own, let’s do it right. Let’s stop asking for “your” and “another’s” list. Yes, there are people in the list whose recognitions are deserved, but their inclusion shouldn’t be an excuse to shut up. Nonetheless, I congratulate my friends in the TFA list – the best 100 of us! Also congrats to the Lagos blogosphere, the online version of Lagos-Ibadan Press, for its dictatorial representations of our (under)achievements.

As for my fellow northerners, I hope you see the backlash of our un-progressive attitude. This is how a pack of clowns and opportunists, to whom we’re just “almajirai with laptops”, organise cliquey shams to reward their own. It is not too late to overcome petty antagonisms over religious differences and ethnic supremacy to redeem ourselves. I cannot believe that a Nigerian has been listed as one of our best 100 for merely converting our Constitution into downloadable apps when my brother Nasir Yammama develops apps half-asleep, when a friend in FUT Minna has designed a rocket launcher. These are just my friends. A simple research would show there are Nigerian youth more promising, more successful, more influential, more important than my friends! Who knows, say, Uti Nwachukwu beyond Lagos Blogs? He’s not known for any nationally relevant thing aside from winning BBA, which a few other Nigerians have done, and now wearing good clothes and partying; yet he is deemed a representative of our achievements.

The important question is: how do we gauge influence and exceptionality? Who tells the achievements of the North? Ali Nuhu, even though he is not the best in Kannywood, wouldn’t have been recognised had he not crossed over to the South. How, I ask again, do we gauge influence and exceptionality? Answering this question should be the first task of panels set up to select our best. Everything else comes later. May God save us from us!
    ___________________________________________________________________
    By Gimba Kakanda
    @gimbakakanda (On Twitter)

• Bide December 23, 2013 at 10:16 pm

kilo le toyi??

• Confuzzled December 24, 2013 at 3:02 am

Well said sir!

• Idak January 8, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Guy, you make sense die.

• Tosin May 29, 2014 at 2:03 am

Good criticism, Gimba.
      Awards are always incomplete, and I guess always could use a nudge to expand their relevance, and if they skewed this way today, to skew the other way tomorrow.
      Also, in awards, as in so much of this life, empty vessels make the most noise. The most award-winning xyz is often not near the best or brightest in that field.
      Awards have value, anyway, and I respect the organizers for doing this year after year. I actually learn a lot from the profiles of the people selected / shortlisted every year.
      Disclaimer: I’m part of the TFA family, soooo…

• Sola adeoti December 24, 2013 at 6:43 am

Gimba kakanda is making a point here, the organiser hope
    you are taking note. Mr chude, Mr williams and Mr charles ( the man
    with orange tie with isio wanogho presenting an award)

• Sola adeotu December 24, 2013 at 7:01 am

Mr jideonwo, mr williams, mr charles hope you saw gimba
    kakandas point here

• Aderonke January 2, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Hmmmm, I had to just read all through when I read through the last paragraph!
    Well said Gimba, I totally agree with you. That is why I support Usaid and few other groups more in recognition of their own selections of grants and change makers. Like the young Hausa lady that got over 300 Magarin children into school with her own fund for the past 5years and so many unsung heroes….

Good