“There’s no music industry in Nigeria” – Peter King

LAGOS (NAN) ─ One of the nation’s foremost Jazz musicians and teacher, Peter King, on Friday said that Nigeria does not have a music industry.

King told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Badagry in Lagos State that the entertainment industry in the country lacked the required raw materials to succeed.

“I wonder why people keep on saying that Nigeria has a music industry when the truth of the matter is that we don’t.

“You turn on the radio and all you hear is noise which they call music. It makes me sad because we have not gotten to the level that we ought to be.

“The music industry is a vast and big industry in America, the government generates a lot of revenue from it but we can’t say same in Nigeria because we lack the necessary raw materials.

“What I mean by raw materials is having serious-minded musicians who make meaningful songs, not just songs that lack content and people only get to listen to them because of the beats.

“Nigerian musicians are into commercial music and Jazz music is fading away quickly, ” he said.

He lamented that there was little or no Jazz music in the country.

“Jazz music in the country is really going down and it must be revived. The best way of going about that is to have serious-minded musicians.

“Jazz music is the peak of black music in Africa and it can be used to revive our music industry but the problem is lack of interest.

“Countries like Japan, China, amongst others, are very much into jazz and classical music, so the importance of it should not be underestimated,” King said.

King noted that anyone who wants to be trained in the rudiments of jazz music must have the passion for it.

“Jazz music requires passion and determination for anyone to get into it because it is music for the soul.

“Once that passion is there, then you go for training and that is one of the reasons I established my school of music because I have the passion.

King, who had trained renowned musicians like Asa, Dotun Bankole, Peter Sadibo, amongst others, urged the government to introduce music in schools across the country.

“The government should make music compulsory in all schools as this would help to improve the standard of music in the country.

“It would also tackle the employment problem in the country, because people would learn how to play one instrument or the other, and this will serve as an empowerment tool,” he added. (NAN)

Photo Credit: www.mrbongo.com

7 Comments on “There’s no music industry in Nigeria” – Peter King
  • August July 11, 2014 at 8:21 pm

This guy has no idea, what so ever, of what he is talking about.

• nimi July 11, 2014 at 10:47 pm

@ August; it is you who does not have an idea of what you are talking about. There are different genre of music and Jazz is one of them. While growing up I used to be addicted to my radio. I could even listen to my radio and still study but now when u turn on ur radio all you hear is noise Nigerians call music, even in the middle of the night and early in the morning. Everything he has said is 100% true.

• Dora the explorer July 11, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Uncle Peter K the government the government the government!!! The government is not interested in jazz neither is the average Nigerian.. you can’t force a genre of music on people?? Agreed that the music of today is all commercial but nothing wrong with that, these artist are trying to make a living plus people are enjoying it both home and abroad, There is no government support on any level.. Its complicated sir! lol

• Joe July 11, 2014 at 11:48 pm

@August you actually do not know what you are talking about. I have been in the music business for 10 years now and I have to completely agree with Peter King. There is no music Industry in Nigeria…what we have is a music scene. Are artist getting paid for their music? no! Is there any form of distribution? no! In Nigeria, the loudest drums hold sway and money rules everything. If you go to Kenya, the government has thrown thier full weight behind the entertainment industry because it is a huge income earner. Any serious minded government (yes government!!!) should see the potential in Nigeria’s entertainment industry and do something about it. You keep making excuses for the government but here is my question? What is the Nigerian Government actually doing? security? housing? employment? education? the sad truth is that nothing works….my people learn to ask the right questions rather that castigate people who are speaking the truth. nuff said.

• dammy July 12, 2014 at 6:28 am

Well said, people just sing rubbish these days so as to ‘blow’ even now praiz is singing Makossa/afrobeats

• 7starebab July 12, 2014 at 12:06 pm

King is saying the truth! But here in nigeria we don’t want to listen to __̅_̅̅_̅̅̅G̲̣̣̣̥o̲̣̥ό̲̣̣̣̥̥̊ƌ̲̣̣̣̥_̅̅̅_̅̅ music. All twe want is __̅_̅̅_̅̅̅G̲̣̣̣̥o̲̣̥ό̲̣̣̣̥̥̊ƌ̲̣̣̣̥_̅̅̅_̅̅ beat and that not it…. I pray we really know what’s music is all about!

• preston July 12, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Starts from your end Sir. Old GEE, we appreciate jazz, Instead of criticizing the so-called Noises, Use their influence to better your chances with an average joe who would come to listen, hoping to spot one of his favorite artists, the likes of 2face, wizkid or Davido. I think Lagbaja’s style would be embraced. .. Get a jazz bar, i bet good music will sell itself…. My opinion tho