Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_41Kashi and Rotimi did a vow renewal in Nigeria after four years of marriage, to honor her dad who was too sick to travel during her court wedding in 2011. Her father is now resting with the Lord, a few months after being a part of the celebration – which also fell on her birthday.

For the UK-based couple’s vow renewal, they opted for a unique outdoor venue – a terrace at Oriental Hotel in May 2015.

This isn’t our usual BellaNaija Weddings feature, we ask the bride, also a planner, about planning her traditional and white wedding from abroad, advice for couples planning their wedding and more.

Be inspired!

***

~ Photography: PhotonimiPhotonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_008

BellaNaija Weddings: How many years have you been married?
Kashi & Rotimi: Four years.

BNW: How was your first wedding?
Kashi & Rotimi: We had one in 2011. It was a court wedding at the Lewisham registry in London with a few witnesses.

BNW: Why did you decide to do a vow renewal?Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_073 Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_055Kashi: Because my father was unable to travel to England for our court wedding in 2011. He was diagnosed terminally ill, of kidney failure and since he was over 70 years old, a transplant was not an option. He would be on dialysis. While he became ill it was his wish for us to return home for a traditional wedding. So myself and my husband wanted to belatedly fulfill his wish and also get a chance to have the elaborate celebration in front of all our family and loved ones, my wedding planner self also wanted to renew our vows to reaffirm them again, but this time with our entire and loved ones present.Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_070Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_069

BNW: How was the planning process like? As a planner did it make things easier?
Kashi: I have heard nightmares about wedding planners not being able to plan their own weddings but it went suprisingly smoothly for me. I had a cute guest list so running the list it was done in a week and the utmost passion for wedding planning and even though I was planning from the UK I had procured the services of a very efficient event manager in Nigeria who liaised with vendors on my behalf and did the site viewing. Also, thanks to modern technology I sometimes felt like I was actually there in person especially when she Skyped me from the venue we settled on, which was Oriental Hotel. Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_025 Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_030 Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_024 Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_032 Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_034 Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_033Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_001_out Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_41Social media made it easy to follow trend and styles from BellaNaija Weddings and updates from vendors and What’s App made it easy to chat to them and exchange pictures and ideas. The entire process with all vendors I chose was as smooth as the icing on my cake.

BNW: Advice for other brides planning their weddings?Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_14 Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_02 Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_20Kashi: Use a Planner
I would advise brides planning their wedding to use a wedding planner and an event /wedding coordinator to make their day as calm and pleasurable as possible. Also, be sure to incorporate their interests into their day as it is indeed their special day and not anyone else’s. While the guests are important and should be catered for accordingly remember you cannot please everyone, so draw a budget with your planner and stick to it, estimate for excesses but don’t over do it because their is life after the wedding and the marriage is more important than the day. Make the day as personal to you and hubby as possible and you will be more than happy to remember it come anniversary day.

Make Your Wedding Suit Your Personality
For example, I love nature and simplicity so my pre-wedding shoot was shot at a beach. Kashi and Rotimi Pre-Wedding Photo Shoot_Beach 1 Kashi and Rotimi Pre-Wedding Photo Shoot_Beach 2 Kashi and Rotimi Pre-Wedding Photo Shoot_Beach 3It was all about nature and us in our natural look so no make up or formal studio shoot. And my wedding renewal was taken overlooking the seas right under the skies. Meanwhile the ambience of where we would renew the vows mattered to both of us so we had a healthy budget for the venue we felt could provide the atmosphere we wanted. This include shelling out for a decent live music set-up as both I and my husband love a good boogie.

Spend More on What You Care About
While some brides have a higher budget for decor, makeup or even alcohol and some for honeymoon but whatever you choose to make your higher priority please do ensure it is something you will look back and and remember it as intensely personal to you. And please do get a professional photographer to capture those amazing moments, choose your favourite colours you would like to see guests come as your layout. I love earthy colours such as gold burnt orange and rose gold but I like peach a lot so I had my layout outside in gold and peach and inside in rose gold sequin which looked great for the after party, be creative and fun or get a planner that is. Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_059I had my 8 table names 8 love languages and I wanted to include Nigerian languages as well, while it was easy to get it in Yoruba and Igbo as the two most documented languages Google wasn’t friendly with other dialects so I had to get the translation of love in Tiv, itsekiri, Irohobo and calabar from friends who were from that tribe. Thank you Eno Essien.

Make a Guest List … if You Can
Also I have noticed Nigerians rarely have a guest list and mostly have close to a thousand guests. If you come from a large extended or royal family that’s ok and inevitable but if not draw up a guest list, invite your family and just a few work colleagues and close friends you would love to witness your memorable day that can also help slim down your budget or keep it the same but create a better quality experience for a fewer guests. The last thing you want is a massive turn out of unknown faces on your big day, weddings are special events done once I cannot stress enough how personal it should be.Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_15 Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_036Use the Beauty Around You in Nigeria
Generally, I think Nigeria’s beauty is under-appreciated. And I am glad that I was able to take photos that higlight just how wonderful it really is. The scenery in Lagos Island is breathtaking and I felt blessed to be able to return on such a special occassion. I’ll tell you a secret, my husband and I have already talked about returning to Nigeria to renew our vows when we make it to our silver wedding anniversary God willing and already eyeing Calabar town in Nigeria …. 😉

The beauty of it was not just in getting married again but to the same man in my home country in the presence of our family and loved ones on a memorable day as my birthday.Photonimi_Kashi and Rotimi Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel, Lagos, Nigeria_BellaNaija Weddings_40

The couple also wanted to share their Wedding Video by The Wedding TV

We wish Kashi and Rotimi the very best of married life, now and forever.

***

Photographer: Photonimi | @photonimi | www.photonimi.com

Video: The Wedding TV | @theweddingtv

Bridal Attire
Bride’s Makeup: iPosh Looks | @iposhlooks
Hair & Nails: Elaine Shobanjo of Shomya Lekki, Lagos | www.shomya.com | @shomya_lag
Wedding dress: David’s Bridal UK for #MaisonYeya

Earrings: Zena Accessories
Groom and Bestman Shirts and Suits: Saville Row Bespoke
Groom’s Accessories: Emporio Armani, Louis Vuitton
Bride and bridal train Bouquets Floristry: BTG Florists | +234 810 028 5323

Vendors
Wedding Planner: Kashi Isaac-Salawu of Eden Event Planning Ltd | @edenevent
Wedding Cordination & Venue Styling: Posh Event Solutions | @poshevents_solutions
Wedding Cake: Lanre Butter Cream | @lanrebuttercream
Traditional Wedding Cake: KK Crafts | www.facebook.com/kkcrafts/ | +234 805 280 4457‬
MC/Comedian: Ajibade Oyemade | @ajibade
Gospel Live Band: Bims World of Music | @bimsmusic
DJ: DJ Poppeay | @djpoppaey

24 Comments on The Wedding Daddy Always Wanted ♥ Kashi & Rotimi’s Outdoor Vow Renewal at Oriental Hotel
  • queen bee January 14, 2016 at 9:47 am

This is my kind of wedding, less crowd, more personal. not spending millions for people to come, eat and still gossip about your wedding. A wedding should be personal with people that you can count on when the marriage is in its “downtime” period. Perfecto!!!

• Ego January 14, 2016 at 10:03 am

Well done ! We did ours without a planner, to say it was stressful is an understatement . It’s never a waste of money spending on a good planner. Godwilling we will be more bouyant for our renewal and use one , only that we won’t bother doing it in naija again.

• isaid!! January 14, 2016 at 10:16 am

Aaawww, Beautiful wedding / renewal , Gob bless your marriage.

• Kashi January 14, 2016 at 10:17 am

Thank you so much BellaNaija…I am so glad I did it for him before he passed on to glory may his soul continue to RIP

• Ada January 14, 2016 at 10:28 am

Congratulations! I am sooo happy for you and happy that you did it before your Daddy passed on. It is a joy that some will never know again! Congrats again!

• Pat January 14, 2016 at 10:40 am

Kashi congrats once again. May the good Lord give u the strength to bear the loss of ur Dad. Also, I thank God u were able to make it by renewing ur vow in front ur parents most especially ur Dad before he past away. U will forever be grateful u did and ur dad will live to be proud of u both. God bless ur marriage Amen!!!!

• coke January 14, 2016 at 10:22 am

you go girl!
    happy for you Kash…dad got what he wanted!

• Cindy January 14, 2016 at 10:57 am

I love that she planned it the way she wanted. But I have noticed this trend lately with Nigerians bashing those who decide to have big weddings like a comment up there. Yeah we get it, it is about the marriage and not the wedding day. But maybe some people just love to mark their major milestones in life in a big way just like birthdays, inaugural lectures, funerals etc. So long as they can afford it without owing others or going bankrupt, let them be. Wedding could be something personal to you, to someone else it might not be. We need to stop this superiority complex of I’m more intelligent & wiser than everyone else please. Or is it that you can’t afford an elaborate wedding and you want others to join you? Please live and let live joor.

• Athena S.A January 14, 2016 at 11:59 am

@Kashi best wish you can give your father….His soul is surely resting in peace. And loved the wedding – intimate, simply yet classy & elegant. GOD bless you more

• jasmine January 14, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Bride looks so much like her mother. Dear Lord, bless me and my hubby. I love big weddings. Let people come and eat and gossip and hate, I don’t care. It’s my wedding and yes, my marriage will last long coz God will be the foundation and help us grow together. Lol. I just love big weddings jare. Kashi, can I borrow your husband? Lol…no vex

• Teep2016 January 14, 2016 at 12:27 pm

That’s an inspiring story. I also wish the couple happy married life. The wedding planning tips she gave was enriching especially the guest list. Besides, click my name and download workbook on Tony Elumelu business grant.

• ATL’s finest January 14, 2016 at 3:00 pm

LOVELY

• Nammy January 14, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Beautiful.
    I predict that we will soon start seeing more of vow renewals, pple that got married before the era of pre-wedding shot, wearing two dresses, bridal shower and all the wedding trends that weren’t practised 10 years ago would now have an excuse to practise them in the name of vow renewal.
    Well if uv got the money, u might as well spend it.
    Many more years to u guys, may ur children surround ur table!

• Steph January 19, 2016 at 2:12 am

Lmaoooo! I swear I was abt to comment exactly what u said. Was discussing with a friend on ths very topic days back! IG not making it easy o walahi. Well all nah celebration anything to party with our loved ones.

• Funmi January 14, 2016 at 4:02 pm

Cindy, I’ll start by saying you are entitled to your own opinion however I don’t see how stating that she wanted something small and sticking to that is bashing those who decide to have larger weddings. We are all entitled to do however we please but I believe more people should be vocal about this topic. I know a few people who go into serious debt all in the name of doing big “events” to please so and so or. You cannot deny that a large population of Nigerians, home or abroad, live to impress (really oppress) others because we all want to outdo each other and give the illusion of wealth that really isn’t there. For some, fear and pressure won’t allow them go the small wedding route as they would like and can easily afford. At the end of the day, everyone should do as they please but I don’t see were “superiority complex” is being exuded here. She gave sound advice which will certainly be useful to some.

@Kashi this is absolutely beautiful. I pray God continues to bless your union. You have inspired me to seriously consider Nigeria when the time comes. May your father’s soul continue to rest in peace.

• Uber bella January 14, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Congrats Kashi. Your wedding looked lovely. May your dad continue to rest in peace.

• Honeycrown January 14, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Congratulations. It was Beautiful in every way. May your dad continue to RIP. Amen.

• Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu! January 14, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Congratulations Kashi and may God rest your father’s soul.

@ Cindy, your comment made me laugh honestly and I totally agree with you. If you geniunely observe, that comment is usually from people who really can’t afford such weddings. It shouldn’t be anyone’s business how much one decides to expend on ONE’S wedding. This is the annoying Nigerian attitude of helping others spend their money. I’ve seen huge weddings that turned out into amazing marriages while some didn’t last two months. On the flip side, I’ve seen really small weddings that didn’t last one month sef, sos so beating and cheating up and down while some turned out great and they’re still living happily ever after. I don’t get where this idea came from – that not having money connotes happiness. Please.

Your wedding doesn’t necessarily determine what the marriage is going to be like. Unless you guys had major blow ups during preparations. So lets’ calm down with this “you don’t have to spend so much, it’s about being happy”. Yea we know, and we’re happy with this jamboree abeg.
    Money doesn’t buy happiness mos def but some would rather cry in an E-Vogue than in a Keke Marwa.

• Sophie January 14, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Congrats Kashi and Timi. Your made your dad proud. Such a beautiful wedding. May your dad RIP always. He’s watching and smiling over you.

• anon January 15, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Bella naija sha! You guys sure know how to package things. She would have definitely have had to do her Trad, with or without her dad’s health. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy she was able to do this while he was still alive but your caption made it seem like they re-did same ceremony just cos of her dad, whereas they just ended up getting married traditionally and religiously, which they never did before. I wish the couple a happy married life and may her father rest in peace.

• lala January 17, 2016 at 9:23 am

ALANHUBERE…….congrats

• wendypearl January 21, 2016 at 2:00 pm

less crowed people from no where, more dignitaries from somewhere perfect one i love this.