Atoke: 10 Sticky Things I Have To Deal with As a Four-Eyed Ninja!

IMG_0981Did you ever think wearing glasses was cool? You see someone wearing a really sexy pair of Prada glasses and you just wish you had a reason to buy yourself some equally fabulous frames? Well, I’m here to dispel some of the nice notions you might have about wearing glasses.

People who wear glasses are visually impaired! No they’re not cool, geeky or nerdy…this Elite group called the Four Eyes Squad, or OjuIgo United. And as much as we try to make pounded yam out of the dry new yams life has thrown at us, it’s interesting to see that people don’t really understand that it is a STRUGGLE!

So, I’ve put together a list of 10 well known, unfortunate circumstances that OjuIgos have to deal with.

Waking Up Blind
So you know how you wake up in the morning and think, “Ah, beautiful bright day”, we wake up, like poor dear old blind Bartimaeus to a blurry fog. For us it’s “Where my glasses at?”
In the morning, it’s a quick game of pad, pad, feel feel, Oh dear God I hope I didn’t roll over my glasses to figure out where you placed them. When you find them, hope that you don’t knock them over to the floor where you now actually look for them BLIND. This happened to me once in UniLag. My glasses fell into the bucket of water I’d been hoarding under my bed. The struggle to reach it… dearly beloved… it was not fun.

This brings me to the next struggle.

2. The NEED for more than one Pair
Look, glasses wearers don’t have any choice but to have more than one pair. See, it’s not an option. You must have at least two pairs because you have not known real distress until you lose your glasses or you accidentally sit on them, or someone steps on them. The PAIN is REAL, Brethren. It is REAL!
Now, we all know that a good pair of glasses aren’t exactly the cheapest thing. So knowing I needed spare glasses, I headed on to Marina, Lagos Island where I was told I’d get real nice ‘designer’ frames for ₦1,500. Little did I know that was the base line cost. There’s another cost for the actual lenses, and heaven help you if you need specialised lenses… / $ /£ Extra glasses means extra cash.

*weeps* I didn’t ask to be visually impaired!

The 3D Experience
You know there is a problem when your friends invite you to the movies and every time they start talking about the option of the 3D version you anticipate the awkwardness. It’s bad enough that you have to wear glasses, then you have to wear the 3D glasses on top of your regular glasses? Aww shucks! And it’s Triple D alright… and the movie ain’t even started!
We love technological advancements and all, but someone needs to invent something to cater to us. And before someone says “wear contact lenses”, you can’t wear those things all day everyday. So imagine what happens when you have an impromptu movie date on a day you’re not wearing your contacts. Or when everyone decides it’s the 3D version of Star Wars you guys should see!

So, whilst in the area of the social struggles of a bespectacled person, we have to address the issue of kissing (and sex). You know how it’s so cute that nose brushes against nose? His face is right there, you can feel it… almost… not quite… because… yeah BLASTED GLASSES! So you angle your head this way, then that way, then you push your frames right up the bridge of your nose. If both of you are OjuIgos, it’s even worse.. kpam, kpam, kpam.

Danggit! Just take the thing off and kiss what you want to kiss jare! There’s no need to see, anyway. Feel baby… FEEL!

I bought my first pair of contact lenses because I wanted to wear sunglasses. Ahn ahn…I was tired of not being the cool kid. I’m not even going to lie and say peer pressure didn’t get to me. I didn’t mind the scary idea of poking my eyeballs just to wear the lenses. At the end of it I was going to sha wear sunglasses and feel cool right? It was totally worth it.
Unless you get your prescription lenses fitted as transition lenses (photochromic) you and the glare of the sun will be battling who can shine eye more! And those specialised lenses are not cheap (see point 2)

Mascara Streaked Windshield
This applies to women! I swear I’m not being sexist, but can we just take a minute to rant about the maddening frustration that comes with wearing make up as an OjuIgo? No, seriously! The mascara leaves skid marks all over your glasses and your entire vision is altered by the black lines. (Especially when you have really long eyelashes)
Honestly, thinking about my make up, here are my regular concerns: will my eye shadow show? Will my eyebrows be popping above the rim of my glasses? Wait, I have to take my glasses off to wear the eye make up shey? That explains why I can never get my wing liner straight and on fleek! {Check out this piece by Jennifer Obiuvebi on make up tips for girls who rock glasses}

Going Swimming
Hmm… so you think wearing glasses is cool huh? Think again! I love going to swim, really I do. But I have to leave my glasses on the table beside the pool and then walk in a hazy line to the pool. Then you get inside the water and just allow nature glide you across. One time, I was feeling like a smart girl and I decided to wear my contacts to the pool.

Nobody told me about the Chlorine BURN!!!

In fact, let’s not talk about it again.

Weather Changes
Rain, Fog, Humidity, Snow, Harmattan Haze… See ehn… Fix it, Jesus! Just FIX IT! You’re going about your day and it starts raining. Or you’re in the cold, and you walk into a warm place… Hello Foggy!

I always wish I had little wipers on my face to clear that stuff up. If anyone has figured out how to see clearly when you’re wearing glasses in the rain, or the bathroom after a shower…please hit me up!

Oh babies! Those cute sometimes, not-so-cute little humans who like to touch, pull and grab everything in their reach.  I stopped carrying my friends’ babies after a near disaster with little Baby Lily yanking my glasses off my face and flinging it to the far end of the living room. I watched, heart in mouth, as my spectacles glided through the air. Luckily they didn’t break, but if they had broken… it might have ended in a fight. Abi how do you hold a baby liable for damages?

And speaking of fights, I’ll come to my final point…

You Can’t Separate Fights
See ehn, every wise glasses wearer knows that physical mediation of fight is a No-No. Do you want them to slap you and break your glasses while you’re forming separator? The fight might end but you’ll end up scrambling around on the floor looking for the broken fragments of your glasses. What shall it profit a man to try and separate fight and go home blind?

Wisdom is profitable to direct. Use your mouth to act as a mediator and stay far, far away from all forms of fighting.

Anyway, this list is by no means exhaustive. You only have to Google “Struggles of a Glasses Wearer” to see that the Internet is littered with all the issues we have to contend with.  I was going to go off on a rant about roller coasters and theme parks, but I’ll just let you guys share some of your struggles. This is our support group, guys!

So when you see someone wearing glasses, show them some love today.

Or buy them carrots! 🙂

I had this really fancy idea of doing a photo shoot to illustrate each point; but this article has been sitting in my draft for 3 weeks now. Yeah, procrastination is a female-dog. I really, really wanted to do it for you guys… but it’s the thought that counts right?

Peace, love &… oh wait… we ended that!

65 Comments on Atoke: 10 Sticky Things I Have To Deal with As a Four-Eyed Ninja!
  • Bella February 15, 2016 at 4:48 pm

I so understand wht u are going thro becos I’m also visually impaired. I try never to wear my glasses when I go to parties or the night club so I can really look beautiful. But hein!! I see nobody! Maybe thts why I’m still single. A hot guy would have winked at me and I would have just looked pass him. Its not easy, the struggle is real fr the ‘bartimuses’

• Noname February 15, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Na so I dump glasses for clear contact lenses many years ago. The thing na life saver. Keep them clean and you go dey alright.

• ATL’s finest February 16, 2016 at 2:37 am

@ Noname lmao.. U ain’t lieing tho but then again, depends on which kind part I dey but mehn I wouldn’t lie if I can’t see shit, u best believe that glasses is coming back on. I wouldn’t lie I just hate contacts so I barely wear them.

• Taiwo February 15, 2016 at 5:02 pm

This was so me, till I switched over to contact lens. Best decision!

• whocares February 15, 2016 at 5:02 pm

HA! Atoke darling. I will kill you with my rant today cos this is an issue that ehn, hmm (kilenu fe so but I can try to say a little)
    Firstly, I can relate to number 1 the classic “needing your glasses to find your glasses” struggle. Every time it rains, I die a little inside as well and wish for that spell Hermoine used on Harry Potter’s glasses to make it water proof. You also forgot about cooking. So, whocares is cooking abi, the aroma fills the air nicely. Like all appreciative cook, i remove the cover of the pot to look at my handwork as well as take a delicate sniff of it. What happens? the steam fogs my glasses, I cant see so sitrring my cooking pot is always a calculating endeavour.. I remove the cover at least a minute before I am ready to stir.
    Also makeups.. really and truly I would prefer to have my glasses on so I can see properly when i apply my makeup.. but how is a person to apply makeup on the face with glasses on? So we take a leap of faith here and make up nonetheless, you have foundated and bronzed your face and oh joys, forgotten to wear contacts before applying the foundation. That meanssssss – you will have to wear the glasses after all that face beating. The effect is the liquid foundation residue that coats your glasses. If you are now like me who likes to oil my hair as if oil is ebo and my hair is some orisa, then you know some oil will find its way its way to the side of my hair and when i wear my glasses it goes into that part… I have not still finished ranting o, so dont think this is the end. At work? You cannot put in a productive day at work if you mistakenly forgot it at home – you cannot play an impromptu sport. You see your friends throwing a ball around and you want to join? (yimu) if you wear your glasses it might slip off, if you remove it, you wont see the ball. so we just jelely stay on the side lines and pretend that we are too posh for sports.
    As if all that is not bad enough, cleaning the glasses. Yes the optician gives you those nice microfibre cloth but lets be honest, who keeps those little shits? More often than not you find yourself cleaning your glasses with whatever cloth you are wearing at the time (although as an adult now I buy the micro fibre clothes in bulk – amazon people. Thank me later for this tip. They are soo cheap). If you happen to be wearing silk, those transparent materials, lace… OYO. Those glasses will remain dirty, so sometimes, I actually (and I have done this on numerous occasions have to beg someone to let me clean my glasses on their clothes- Kudos to my friends sha. lmaoo)
    Wait, ko ti tan sibe o. Dirty glasses or not cleaned glasses is like plain tv and 3D or IMAX. Whocares’ uncleaned glasses is just “meh” but as soon as I clean it and put it back on.. I swear to gods I go from clark kent to super man… I am a woman with a vision on a mission.
    phew! ok, im done now. loooool
    Ahh false alarm I am not done yet..That kissing one is soooo true. LMAOOOO. That’s why I like kising people with flat nose. Long nose and my glasses is just not convenient at all, and boy does it ruin the moment when we have to stop to take it off.. beht its ok, no one needs vision to kiss sha ;

• Thatgidigirl February 15, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Lmao!!! My chest o! You forgot to mention looking Margaret tatcher ish all the time, quite a number of people especially during uni days thought I was uptight and stuck up partly because of my glasses. Plus as the only black girl in my class I was sick of repeating myself all the time (den say dem no dey hear naija accent), so they tagged me head mistress of the class.
      Then the mark that my glasses leaves on my nose if I take them off after applying foundation. Lastly and most annoyingly the sunken Chinese eyes you get from wearing glasses for a very long time. I blame my parents mr and Mrs bartimeus…..

• oluwakemi February 16, 2016 at 8:22 am

i do so have that sunken chinese look .

• Karonwi February 16, 2016 at 5:05 pm

You have spoken my mind!!!! Oh and people that will tell you your eyes have gone “inside” and rant to you not to wear your glasses too much.
      P.S. There is no such thing as wearing your glasses too much. It is our cross!
      You forgot how our shower times are a blur (except you wear your glasses in the shower)

• winnie February 15, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Lmao! @bella. Seriously,it is a real struggle. I try not to wear my glasses always but when i don’t.. trust me i’d be hitting things anyhow cuz i didn’t see them & the worst of all,trying to fix thread in a needle. So,i don’t even mind anymore,i deal with wearing my glasses always & all that comes with being visually impaired. And i’ve accepted the silly name “Ojuigo*

• @edDREAMZ February 15, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Thank yu darling bcos i will never love any woman with this type of problem…

• Teminiran February 15, 2016 at 5:21 pm

OMG, if this isn’t the ultimate struggle. I’m sorry but I really can’t get down with contacts- having to poke my eyeballs, mba. I fit’nt. While everything isn’t a blur for me (as I’m short-sighted) my biggest struggle has to be people telling me that I didn’t greet them, when in fact I really just couldn’t make out their face. And you’re not lying about that need for more than one pair- I swear my glasses hate me; I’m always losing them. Oh and then sometimes when you have them on for an extended period, they leave that annoying mark on your nose… sigh

• Iya February 15, 2016 at 7:38 pm

YYEEEEEESSSS @ people saying you didn’t greet them when you actually didn’t see them!!!! LMBO!! Sometimes I actually see you but I choose to not greet you and tell you later that I wasn’t wearing my glasses. Looool. .. good times

• El Mago February 15, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Oh! That indeed is the struggle, at a point I started saying “hi” and waving back at any and everything that waves at me – Just to be on the safe side… One time while in the University, the absence of my glasses cost me a test, my friends were busy with theirs(I dont blame them, the lecturer said 5 minutes) and I was too shy to walk to the podium to copy the question.

Another thing is I always lose them, and attaching ropes is so old-fashioned, so for about a year now, I’ve resorted to squinting a lot and looking at things in a queer way that always attracts attention. I’m planning to get a new one soon before I do some serious damage.

• Vee February 15, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Oh mi gosh… I can totally relate. I have been 4 eyed since age 9. and believe me its no fun. From being labeled as a bookworm-I love books sha… but not that much-to being a nerd? Then my 1 year old’s goal in life is to yank the thing off my face every chance she gets…. The worst is when it gets slack and keeps slipping off your nose, so you can’t bend over. Had to pull it out of the toilet bowl once. And my prescription is sooooo awry I only get my prescriptions done when I travel. All the ones I tried to do in Naija just made the eyes go from bad to ‘God have mercy’.So now the other pair is broken I have to guard the slack one with my life. Until I can travel in a few month’s time…. I can go on and on…

• Viv February 15, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Reminds me of my undergraduate days in London. The thing is I’ve been saddled with glasses since I was 10,so when I started A’levels I decided to ditch them as I felt I could cope without them, yea rite!The number of buses that drove past me cos I couldn’t make out what number was on it fast enough to stop it eh,You should have seen me waving the drivers to stop when they get close enough, the expression on their faces is always one of bewilderment.i was always grateful when there were more persons at the bus stop cos chances are someone would stop each bus that went by. Now the incident(s) that made me return to wearing glasses was when persons accused me of being a snob as I pretended to not have seen them when they tried to get my attention….anyway,when it became ridiculous the amount of persons I had to explain to that my sight was poor as such didnt see them, it made it important to go back to my prescription. The funniest part is I have huge eyeballs but i assure you it’s all design. Lol

• whocares February 15, 2016 at 6:11 pm

@Viv- loool. omg me tooooo!! Whenever I dont have my glasses, I know I will be late cos I cant make out the bus numbers.. shopping for groceries too. Those overhead signs that tell you biscuit aisle etc? Unless I am bang underneath the signs, I have no idea where im going so they are not useful for me at all. i just free style the shopping. lol. Yup I walk past people allll the time (sometimes it is deliberate sha. If im going to an area I know I might meet someone I know, I will remove it.. that way, I KNOW I will not see them, and it wont be a lie when I say “I did not see you”. lol) Who says we vision impaired people cant have fun? 😛

• fish February 15, 2016 at 5:52 pm

um…..i wear glasses but its not that bad na! well i dont know the strength of ur eyes though. i alternate between glasses and contacts. considering laser surgery too….but i dont really need it.

• The real D February 15, 2016 at 5:53 pm

For the swimming there are now swimming googles that now provide the basic over the counter prescribed lenses. The 2.1 and co, I know they are not the same as prescribed lenses but they are better than swimming blind. I can’t swim without googles at all, I am just all over the place.

• yvee February 15, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Nice write up Atoke. It is really an ultimate struggle. I have been wearing this thing since primary six. The 3D struggle happened to me a while back. I did not even know where to start from with my six squared D.

• Menoword February 15, 2016 at 6:12 pm

And please can we talk about those certifiable people that take off your glasses and then wave their fingers in the air and say with annoying glee “How many fingers can you count?” Ermmm…hello…short sighted, not drunk.

Plus the struggle of getting the right size…too tight and they squeeze your brain to pulp…too loose and you start having to push them up your nose, too small and you find yourself peering over the top, thus forever cementing your reputation as a school teacher type.

Oh and to all those guys who are toasting us…it is not, I repeat not cool to tell us we look like school teachers. We are sexy sirens dammit! not school marms.

This is why I moved over to contact lenses abeg. Now I can form coo keed with the best of them. And whenever I get extended wear…ah bliss…the feeling of opening my eyes and being able to see without scrambling to find my glasses….priceless!

• sisi alero February 16, 2016 at 9:50 am

@Menoword sooooooo true!!!! truly certifiable people! or they yank the glasses right off your face, without any warning, and ask to try it on! then they ask,”how do you see with this?youreyes are really bad!”…..Really? you don’t say!?!?!?!!!
      ohh, is there anything as terrifying as waking up after falling asleep while you were reading, and you just KNOW that you slept on your glasses? you pray and pray that its still in one piece and not twisted or worse. Then cellotape, superglue, broomstick etc for emergency glasses surgery when it happens, and you just end up looking even nerdier with your oddly shaped frames….. thank God for contacts o!

• glow February 15, 2016 at 6:37 pm

I lost my expensive glasses about 3 months ago…I don’t have enough cash to buy the type I want yet, so I am just managing for now. Luckyy me, at least I can see you from 10m away..go beyond that, and I can only weave at your outline…”glow, u just walked past me yesterday, did I offend you?”…well…I get that a lot….and oh! Ppl assume you are a geek juust because you wear glasses…

• I just waka come… February 15, 2016 at 6:41 pm

I don’t want to start on mine, I’ll just feel more sorry for myself.
    At night nko??
    I said I wouldn’t start abi? True.
    Let me ask, just anyone know where I can get some nifty frames in Lagos?
    Not the ones that will make you look like Iche Oku or village health inspector o.
    Please if you do kindly advise, thank you. ?

• I just waka come… February 16, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Oh and yes, I’ve walked through, or attempted to walk through glass doors, twice.
      I swear, I didn’t see them.
      One moment I was striding purposefully, the next, kPaKan!

Luckily for me, my granite forehead and the glass door, there was no damage.

Just my ego sha. ? *sniffs

• February 15, 2016 at 6:49 pm

“I bought my first pair of contact lenses because I wanted to wear sunglasses”. I wrote this!

• DocDeola February 15, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Laser eye correction
    2 friends got it done
    0 friends looking back!

• PlusSizeQueen February 15, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Hahahahaha this made me laugh. Been a glasses wearer for 22 years (since I was 11) and I can identify with every point made. I’ve been wearing contacts (in addition) for 13 years, purely for vanity purposes tho, because truth be told, nothing beats a good old pair of sturdy glasses that you don’t have to poke into your eyes and/or risk infection. God bless me ohh to afford laser eye surgery soon. I haff tire!

• lotus flower February 15, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Spot on! Putting on makeup is the worst. I don’t even bother wearing mascara. To put on eyeliner, I have to practically glue my face to the mirror.
    Being without my glasses for even a few minutes is very paralyzing. I go into a panic. Even though I know that my glasses are somewhere around (e.g, on the bed, on the bathroom countertop), when I am searching for them, I begin to panic.

• Kokoro Dudu February 15, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I hate glasses because I think they are stupid and analog. That’s until I started going blind. At first I thought the projectors weren’t properly setup but then one day it dawned on me that I was afoju! I got one but lost it last year and I have been miserable since then.

• ‘Diddie February 15, 2016 at 8:50 pm

You forgot to add that people like to associate with glass wearers because they appear intelligent and knowledegable

• Sultana February 15, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Hmmmn, can totally relate. I feel sorry for folks who wear *shakomended* glasses because they do not know what they are wishing for. Last year I went to the movies with lehubs and the only solid movies were 3d. I didn’t bother myself but it’s frustrating for him especially when he plans impromptu outings and i can’t go with the flow. Needless to say I’ve never seen a 3d anything!
    I knew I didn’t want to wear glasses on my wedding day*who does that?* so once marriage was a possibility, off I went to experiment with contacts.
    The first day I wore contacts twas like being reborn. 50/50 vision just like that? Twas a beautiful experience though it took me roughly 3hours to fix them. But with them I can also rock my sunglasses anyhow. Previously, when I wear sunglasses I can’t see a thing and mean people will just laugh away like ‘is it by force to be hip’?

Now I just interchange when I want to be cool calm and collected I use contacts. When I really can’t be bothered (which is almost always) I turn to glasses.

I can’t recall how many I have lost, sat on, stepped on etc. It ain’t easy jere. Thanks
    For the chlorine heads up. Now i know.

So happy to read other like experiences. Thanks Atoke. P.S. sorry for the jumbled thoughts just wanted to Sharp sharp share my experiences 🙂

• Oluwakemi February 15, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I have experienced all.have you ever fallen in gutters?i have scars for that.make up is almost a no can’t just greet everyone u see .sometimes I see men walk as trees.sister atoke,please tell them .the struggle is wonder teenage mutants turtle ninja movie had all the one of the giant turtles wear haff do make I drink water .

• Kay dollz February 15, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Some people wish they are visually impaired ooo. One of my cousins used to squint at every and anything whether up close or far away(the babe didn’t know which one she wanted to be short or long sighted she just wanted to wear glasses),she got this “shakomended” glasses that she used to day she landed in my house and we were watching the news my dad asked her to read out what was written cos he was typing on his laptop na so my cousin begin stammer,my dad looked up from his laptop and said “my friend will you read that thing properly” in his thunderous voice and brethren just like that her vision cleared and she read everything even the correspondent’s name.real life miracle.

• Oluwabusola Adedire February 15, 2016 at 10:54 pm

The mascara one is too real!! I have stopped using mascara altogether.

• tamy February 15, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Hahahahahahaha funny article n comments (most not all),thank God my own no bad reach dat level,i can cook n do oda normal tins in d house without dem glasses. First tym I got my glasses,whn I finally agreed I was short-sighted,i felt lyk one superhuman being,twas lyk I was blind but nw I can see,dey rly laf me dt day bt I didn’t care. Few days ago I was in a specs shops,cnt rmembr d name,d prices were deadly high,in d process of walkn out of d shop I walked right into the glass door,lyk literally walkn into d wall,i couldv sworn it was magically put dere,n to thnk it was a huge shopping mall,my frnd laughd at me even falling on d floor whyl evrybdy kept askn if I was ok,my head was rly hurtin bt pretended I was ok n walkd away leavn my crazy frnd dere laughn,was weird cos I was wearn my glasses,need new ones but d price I saw was rly high,i gas to meditate bfre goin bck (definately nt to dsm shop)…but I better pass sm pple still sha

• Debmara February 15, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Hmmmmm, Aunty Stoke, I can relate. Been wearing it since I was three, I really don’t have a choice as I had an accident with a coca-cola bottle that claimed my right eye.
    So, I’m two-eyed ninja, plus all the hate I had to deal with, Kai! it was hell. Squinting, walking in a daze, putting a book so close to your face, changing prescriptions, photophobia, the list goes on. It ain’t funny at all. The struggle is REAL people.

• Debmara February 15, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Atoke sorry, plus all the side glances, the ‘fine geh what happened to your eye?’, the ‘chais’, the ‘ewos’, the endless squinting, the holding the book close to your face, the photophobia, and yes, falling into the gutter and wondering where the hell you are, the no night sight, Kai! its exhausting. Sha, how I go do na? The struggle is REAL people.

• Papacy February 16, 2016 at 12:38 am

Brethren you have said it all. I’ll add a few, duting surgery and I breathe through the nose mask n d hit air somehow gets into the glasses. Fog. Nurse removes it, wipes, puts it back on, repeat. Children pulling glasses without respect! All these y2k kids eh, I never touched my father’s glasses when I was little o. Those spectacles were and are still sacred. Now all these kids know is to stare at you for a moment when you lift them up and I instinctively start “not the glasses kid, not the glasses! Touch the beard, anything but…” Guam! On the floor! Smh
    The kissing thing is true finally, I do miss with my glasses on. However, once I take them off to kiss, it is going to be a long session. Somehow she now knows so once I start taking it off, she will just interrupt “you have come again this man!”. Wetin man go do? I’ve been so dependent on glasses I have actuall showered wearing them, once I notice the “streaks of water in my sight”, I just sigh and hang it somewhere. I don’t have a spare o! I don use superglue tire on this one, n some stuck on the lens so that part of my visual field is non existent. To gaan buy designer frames that I’ll wear 24/7 feels like I’ll undermine the luxury of it all. Quick question; isn’t contacts on a guy a bit…you know…bleh? (I can’t find a better word now)

• hope February 16, 2016 at 8:55 am

You can always get d translucent contacts. They don’t hv d colors

• Taiwo February 16, 2016 at 10:11 am

Loool!! This killed me!!!

• Papacy February 16, 2016 at 12:41 am

Mehn d typos should be excused. We are all venting abi?

• Shy February 16, 2016 at 12:43 am

Thanks Atoke dear for this article, this is me and more,,, I’ve been called snob for not greeting when I didn’t even see them,,,men stopping for me for ride and I won’t even know till someone say ….na u that man dey wait for since,,,,,finally went contact lens route oh my gosh ! Couldn’t believe it, I was seeing normally ,,,,but I have a problem that is so depressing me right now,I always rub and scratch my eyes been doing it for more than ten years now and I mean daily, at times hours on end without stopping , d result now is that my once very big eyes are now sunken and and old looking ,,,plsssssssss I beg does anyone have any solution to this,,,my eyesight is really failing and I’m just 27 years . D last time I went for new lens I was shock at d test -9.50. I have tried to stop d rubbing of eyes but it’s just a bad habit I find hard to stop.

• Me February 16, 2016 at 5:33 pm

@shy My hubby wears glasses. He also used to scratche his eyes a lot. I was with him at an eye clinic where he was told that the itching is as a result of dry eyes. He was told to supplement with artificial tears. That helped him.

• Oluwabusola Adedire February 16, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Get artificial tears or a gel lubricant. There is one called viscotears, it works well. Try to drink lots of water in the day too.

• Teris April 28, 2016 at 7:23 am

you should see a good opti- eye doctor. rule out infections or an allergy.

• Ivy February 16, 2016 at 1:58 am

Lmao! I have 4 pairs of glasses….1 looks totally like sunglasses, look so cool when I go out on a sunny day & so silly when it’s night time and I’m still out. Plus my darling contacts, mehn! I wear it 2weeks straight (just use my eye drops)! Need to get more contacts just incase. I bought contacts out of vanity cuz I have wonderful “oju come & do eyes” & I love showing it off (bite me). But me & my glasses are one…….relatively cheap too.

• Did I just read the above comment??? February 16, 2016 at 6:38 am

Urm 2 weeks straight?
      You mean you don’t take them out?
      For 2 weeks?
      Rolls slowly to Mbaise.

• Ivy February 16, 2016 at 9:31 am

Yup! I don’t take them out. If my eyes start to itch, I use my eye drops. Plus it’s perfectly safe. I don’t go past 2 weeks though!

• guest February 16, 2016 at 6:52 am

I always have to have a minimum of five glasses due to various annoying accidents. I sat on one the other day, I was wiping another one and it broke into two, another was smashed during a tipsy (clear throat..drunk) moment on the streets of Shanghai and one got damaged by acid rain in Beijing, I am on my last one now. Thankfully though, there is a huge market for only eyeglasses in Beijing, which I will be visiting soon. All eyeglass wearers should visit this market, it is eyeglass heaven! It always give me joy to buy new glasses here! There are millions of eyeglasses, all colors, shapes, sizes, they are extremely cheap and you get a free prescription at any of the shops. The glasses are ready in an hour. I am going to buy like 10 or maybe 20… lol…

I cannot stand it when there is even the tiniest speck on my glasses, so if you ever meet me, I will be the girl with an Afro who is always vigorously wiping her glasses and cursing under her breath… a bit OCD but I’d rather not have a speck hindering my view, thank you! 🙂

• Toks February 16, 2016 at 8:27 am

Hmmm the struggle is real o. Now I understand my DH o. We non glass wearers take things for granted. I never knew this is what it’s like wearing glasses. Everywhere hubby goes, na to turn lights on and I’ll be questioning him, upset that the lights would wake baby and I. Ok no more complaints and just be thanking God.

• atoskin February 16, 2016 at 8:49 am

Finally, a post in can relate to. So yes, i am one of the 4 eyed ninja and the struggle is real for us. I got contacts when i was about getting married cos there was no way i would see anyone at my wedding apart from my husband. The struggle to remove my contact on my wedding night is a story for another day. Never wear contacts when you have artificial nails on

I hate the black mark my glasses has created on my nose and i hate it when people tell me that i look finer with my glasses. Doesn’t that mean that i am ugly without it?

The fun part is that sometimes, hubby wants me to see something on the TV and i tell him i can’t because i don’t have my glasses, he will go and look for it hand it over to me. That cracks me up all the time.

And then i am obsessed with cleaning my lens, my finger touches my lens and i am cleaning it immediately.

• February 16, 2016 at 9:00 am

hmm! my glasses wearing struggle
    1.the mark it makes on my nose showing the whole world i have foundation on
    2.even with my glasses i cant drive at night so i always have to plead with a friend so we can balk together the club i always wear my glasses becos my bf is tired if telling to wave at one of his friend saying hi
    4.tired of people saying am proud becos i do not respond to greetings
    5.after i am out of my car that fog on my glasses due to ac i totally hate it

• Ebony February 16, 2016 at 9:08 am

SPOT ON (Point 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 – Made my own comments below before reading and point 5 came up!, 7 – looks like you’ve communicated all of my thoughts, lol

1) So how do you find your glasses without your glasses? Like you need to see to find it right? Sigh
    2) Some earrings and clothes and hairstyles don’t go with glasses! So you have to start calculating when making these decisions.
    3) You cannot wear sunshades. Lol. Like isn’t your vision already dark enough.
    Some say you can wear contacts then wear shades. So picture this. You on on a vacation in some exotic island (or not), you wear contacts, shades, bikini and a cover up. You decide you need a swim. PAUSE. You cannot swim with contact lenses in your eyes! Sigh
    4) You fear you may actually go blind before you die. Like everything deteriorates right? And I’m already this bad this early??
    5) So you decide to walk around for 30mins without your glasses (You only do this ‘cos you’re familiar with the environment. Say work, for example). Some one waves and you do not see the person. SNOB tag!
    6) How do I work out when my glasses will bounce up and down my face and just frustrate the process even more! 1 more thing to worry about.
    Imagine putting on contacts because you need to run. Sigh
    7) So you get out of a really cold car and the fog is on your glasses, so you can’t see
    8) You’re cooking and the steam is on your glasses so you can’t figure out if it’s time to turn the food.
    9) And glasses just changes your facial structure. Flattened nose here, nose mark there, dark eye ares, sucken eyes, marks, marks and more marks!
    10) I never find the perfect frames
    11) Ehen, dear friends. Before I forget. Don’t snatch my glasses off my face, wear them, take them off a second later with your eyeballs sticking and scream “you’re blind!” Msheeew. Nonsense. So you thought I was wearing glasses without needing them?
    12) You cannot be wearing contacts and suddenly decide to sleep out. You should NOT sleep with contacts on (learnt the hard way). So what do you do when you’ve taken them off and wake up the next morning?
    13) “I could have used this money for new clothes or saved it all together, but I’m here buying frames, and lens and contact lenses and contact solution and spare glasses…..”
    14) So you don’t want to go on a night out with glasses and you wear contacts, but then smoke from people smoking stings your eyes. Or like gele isn’t stressful enough, you have to insert another type of gele in your eyes too

I always thought there should be a glasses community. So we can support each other. Spill on where we can get the prettiest, most affordable frames. Talk about how to look good/make up while wearing glasses.
    If laser is an option and how it can be funded.

• Ivy February 16, 2016 at 9:37 am

Why can’t you sleep with your contacts? I’m not a rub-eye person sha. But there are extended wear contacts o! Fresh look, fresh kon, caucus (or so) brands are extended wear.

Meanwhile, am I the only one that reacts to colored contacts? Wore them for an hour or so and my eyes were horribly red.

• I just waka come… February 16, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Lolll @guest, please let me know when you’re going to Beijing.
    Would love to deal in this exclusively too.
    Thank you.

• I don’t want to be an oju igo February 16, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Dear glasses wearers, what is that blackmark on your nose and sometimes your temple? Is this caused by the weight of your glasses? * absolutely confused smiley

How does one avoid it and the sunken eyed look with black eye patches that most wearers have? I’m asking because these are some of the reasons I’ve managed to avoid wearing glasses and also because I want something that will correct my eye sight not make it regressive.

The thought of poking my eye with contacts….. Na….
    For now squinting ti take over abeg…

• Teris April 28, 2016 at 7:34 am

the marks are caused by rub. if your fit is tight, or there is a friction-al contact with your skin…then you’ll get marked. if you “oil” your skin, you’ll be doing push-ups all day and fetching your glasses off of and out of odd places.

if you are myopic, there is no cure.
      if you choose not to use the right lenses, you risk straining your eye muscles and causing a deterioration.

however, if your problem is really mild, just wing it and be happy.

• Debbie February 16, 2016 at 2:16 pm

It is really a big struggle..i have got 4 pairs, coming from someone who hated them initially, I can’t even remember when I wore my contacts last.. And yes, those ones that try on your glasses and go, you are blind o!!I don’t know what they were expecting.. And yes I ordered for a new pair again, LOL

• Thia February 16, 2016 at 2:24 pm

Talk about needing to take pictures in a group or ordinary selfie sef and needing to remove the glasses before taking the pictures. The other day I was at the mall with a friend who wanted selfies and I said wait lemme remove the glasses, dude now goes why…
    How did he expect me to explain that this is not my real face oo?

• Oyefunke February 16, 2016 at 2:30 pm

I hate been ojuigo big time but we don’t have a choice. Actually prefer contact lens but it’s not easy to get one for astigmatism here in Nigeria. The scary part is at night when I have to remove my glasses and am like “am BLIND” really scary.
    Already broke my spare so I have to get one asap and yes transition lens is a life saver. I don’t get to miss my Sun shades anymore.

And yeah people should be nice to us. Give us cake smile ?

• demashi February 16, 2016 at 8:19 pm

I remember an event in Secondary School over 2 decades ago where I was in the dorm with my mates and a woman was making her way towards the hostel. A friend quipped that “…..isn’t that your mum?”, I responded that my mum wasn’t that short. It turns out the visitor was actually my mum. Fast forward years later into the University, I could barely see the board when lecturers were scribbling stuff and I was usually always at the back of the overcrowded classrooms which I think that affected my academic performance to some extent. I didn’t want to wear glasses cos I didn’t want to look nerdish, people already had that view of me even without it and my parents didn’t really take my call for a pair of specs serious. On campus, I ‘ll hear guys say “guy, we dey hail you that time, you no even send us”. Truth is, I didn’t see them and this myopia was further accentuated by astigmatism.

Eventually had to get one when I started working and bought my first car, needless to say I left it too late. Now I can’t even walk to the bathroom without my glasses, make out my wife’s face when I get up in the morning and my younger son always pokes fun at me saying “Baba, can you see, do you know where you kept your glasses?”

• Tincan February 16, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Ah Atoke, good to see you. Some of these folks be trying with the glasses o. I discovered I needed glasses at year 2, Uni. This was after I’d been struggling for a while to read the board, then I got accused of being a snob – social suicide for ACS VP. Vanity drove me to contracts at that point and I’ve never looked back. In a year, I probably have my glasses on for no more than 1-2weeks altogether. As for the girl who said she leaves her contacts in for 2 weeks, nothing o, I do even longer. They are sooooo comfortable. For those that are UK based specsavers are great. You forget you have contacts on .

• Shy February 17, 2016 at 3:57 am

Thanks a lot @Me and @Oluwabusola. I will definitely try it.

• A August 24, 2016 at 7:18 pm

I wear glasses and I can’t relate to any of this because this articles seems to be for people with really bad eyesight. I understand how all these can happen and I sympathize with you all.. Me I can sha see without my glasses. Small writings and distant faces are not clear; that’s my problem