LagosBellaNaijarian Lola shared this story with us today. Lola is a BellaNaijarian and also a longtime client of BN. It is just sad that our social services system is in a dismal state in Nigeria. This is not about Lagos but the entire country.
We really hope things get better.

Hello BellaNaija, thought to share this story.
On Sunday, while I drove to church, I saw an old woman on the road, (Cement Bus Stop area in front of St. Joseph Secondary School) passersby must have put a tyre in front of her to protect her from on coming vehicles.

She looked sick and needing help. I called 112 (Lagos State Emergency Number) to bring to their notice for possible medical attention or whatever assistance they could render. They had promised to move there swiftly.

After church, I headed back a little late at about 5pm. That was not my usual root but I took that route hoping not to find the old woman.

To my surprise, she was helplessly still there. I met some women who live across the road from where she was. Together we pleaded with some guys who helped put her by the side of the road. We then called this 112 over and over again.

Same stories, they never showed up. I gave her moi moi and some water which she blessed before eating. We asked her about her home, children and all. She talked very gently but not quite coherent. I saw her as someone who barely had a slight loss of memory which might be due to old age or sickness. She had a cloth and a bible in a white Nylon. Appears to me as someone who was on her way to or from church.

She also gave an account of how a Danfo tire had hit her after pulling out on motion. She said that was the last and only thing she could remember as she fell to the ground and the danfo didn’t stop. She also said her daughter’s name is Aisha. And she stays in Alfa nla opposite the mosque.

By now it was getting dark, I called back the emergency line and was asked to take her to the nearest police station. Disappointed, I dropped and went on to the police station. The police officers I met didn’t even seem interested.

Here be hospital?” one of them said.

One later volunteered to go with me to where the woman was. I then suggested we go to the area where she said she lives just in case we could find her family or a lead to them. I was more shocked when I saw the police man disappear into the crowd immediately we got there. He never came back till we left.

Then I gave up hoping to go back and snap a clearer picture of her and perhaps send to a media house. On the side, I was also in search of old people’s home or there about.

But she was no longer there by dawn. I only prayed she’s safe and back home.

By Tuesday, I saw her not too far from there, shivering. I told myself I’ll stop by on my way form work. It was an express road.

I got to the office and a lady calls me from this number 070501881 (Leaving the last 2 digits out) saying she’s calling from Lagos state emergency to follow up on the case I reported on Sunday, I explained to her that the woman was still helplessly there. She said “Eeya…can you call to remind them again?“. I said “who are the them?” she said “112..or 797 or something like that.
I said if you can’t order your colleagues to do their job, why should I be the one calling endlessly.
Then she goes ahead to ask me what their service was like

Me: awful
She: Will you recommend the emergency service?
At this point I just hung up

Sadly by Wednesday morning she had died.
By yesterday Friday her decomposing body is still there. (By that road that leads to old Abeokuta Express Way)

The so called emergency number kept asking if she is dead, “is she dead?” to which we (the women I met there and all those who tried calling the number for help for this woman) kept saying she’s alive but looks frail..not like she’s mad but looks like she’s suffering from loss of memory. I believe even if she’s a mental case since she’s elderly, harmless but helpless she should be catered for by the Government.

It seemed 112 had preferred if we were reporting a corpse.
Even the corpse now has been there 3 days and maybe counting.

When will this country really develop?

I was going to snap the decomposed corpse, but then I realized, being a journalist isn’t just about writing, it takes guts to snap and publish certain types of news image.

PS : I’ll like to be a volunteer at an old people’s home. Any leads please

101 Comments on BellaNaijarian Lola shares a Sad Story about How Social Services failed an Old Lady
  • Layo February 13, 2016 at 9:48 pm

This is really awful, stories like this make me weep for Nigeria. Where you cannot even be provided with social services as is our right, the policemen are also a shame to our country. That man that said “here be hospital”? hope such evil never happens to him, that woman deserved to die honorably ( by that i mean, with family close by at least). We will all be old someday too. It’s sad. May her soul rest in peace. Amen

God i pray to you to knock sense into our leaders, then can sense tricker to the individuals since some of them do not want to think for themselves and do the right thing.

• Caligula February 14, 2016 at 1:55 am

WOW!!!! I’m so sad…. Im lost for words. May her soul rest in peace. The work ethic in Nigeria is just pathetic. People have zero discipline there! When will our country change? When will Nigerians begin to do things with integrity & honesty? I’m so ashamed for Nigeria

• Cindy February 14, 2016 at 4:54 am

This reminds me of when I called the emergency line to report a fire outbreak in my building. The olori re asked me to give the phone to an adult. Huh? What if an adult wasn’t around? Am I supposed to die there? And besides, I am an adult with an annoyingly babyish voice (tatafo things). I was just irritated that day, and I actually shed a tear. It is every man for himself in this country. I don’t trust the government or its agencies ever. They always fail me. In God alone I trust.

• ATL’s finest February 14, 2016 at 3:23 am

What a sad story! Meanwhile some senseless folks will still have d guts to say ‘why am I rubbing America in’? Is it by force to live abroad? Like they will say, ‘I love my Country Nigeria’ mtchew. Pls stop consoling yourself if u belong to this group cuz if u have the opportunity, u will grab it. Yes, America ain’t easy but if u work hard, u will get there. But one thing I know is that SHIT like this will never happen. This could have happened to anyone’s parent. Even the so called police man smh. But I bet if it was Buhari’s relations, Dangota, Aliko or some rich FAM, they wouldn’t ve the nerve to act this way. As a Citizen, no1 is safe. I didn’t click on this article all day until now & I wish I didn’t at all.

• ATLs finest my ass February 14, 2016 at 1:29 pm

You sound like a -, if you have nothing intelligent to say pls shift and park somewhere else, once again you have used this opportunity to compare and gloat, your entire comment reeks of the “I have escaped so what is my own” mentality

• TheRealist February 14, 2016 at 2:09 pm

@ATL’s finest, how did you think America got the way it is? By her citizens running away from their problems? The sad thing is that the more Nigerians who know better keep running away, the more those who know less fill that vacuum. Ultimately Nigeria’s fate is shaped by our collective conduct – whether acts of commission or simply omission.

• ATL’s finest February 15, 2016 at 6:46 am

@ Fake ATL Yes, Ur restarted ass.. U didn’t have to comment next to me so U should the one shifting to the next lane & park it lame ass there.. @ Realist or whatever ok I gerrit but no matter how folks wanna try and help including, my life & others lives matters. No body want crazy folks coming after them Thank U.. It is what it is y’all can face it or keep consoling yourselves.

• Patience February 14, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Social media social warriors would have helped to save this old woman’s life. Better still, send pictures and request for help to stelladimokokorkus blog. She will be glad to post it and in no time Helpers will surface. So sad, she didn’t deserve to die like that.

• Nkechi February 13, 2016 at 9:55 pm

This is what I call sad, sorrowful and pathetic. I was going to write the fact that you could announce on TV or radio so her family can know where she is until I read your article further and discovered that she is dead which is just terrible. God bless you for giving her food. Who oversees the emergency service department in Nigeria though. It is difficult to be negligent in the western world because someone will not only lose their job but pay law suit compensation. Calls are recorded and things are taken more seriously especially the life of another human being.

• Adaeze Writes February 13, 2016 at 9:57 pm

This is too sad. What is really happening to this country? How can we resurrect Nigeria from its state? I feel so pained that the woman died. Later the social services personnels will ask why things are going bad for them, they won’t remember that Karma is b**ch.
    Thank you Lola for helping out the best way you could. May God reward you.

• Reekaddict till infinity February 13, 2016 at 10:23 pm

That is system naija for u very unreliable.

• temi February 13, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Hmmm. If we talk now, they will ask what have we done. This BNer did her best. Called and called and even gave the poor woman food. That country has finished patapata. This woman died a death of a negligent society.

• omo February 13, 2016 at 11:03 pm

we dont even have any system in place! so sad

• Brycee Adiah Bassey February 13, 2016 at 11:06 pm

This completely breaks my heart. This is outrageous. I would absolutely love to volunteer as well. I do humanitarian work when I’m not in front of the camera or teaching, and I would love to help/volunteer with the elderly. Anyone should let me know asap. More light needs to be shed on this as much as possible. Thank you!

• Author Unknown February 13, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Nigerians in developed countries should come back home, abi? This is such a sad story, and may her soul rest in peace. Nigeria has failed us all, but I can’t help but acknowledge that in many ways, we Nigerians are the architects of our own misfortunes, either by commission or omission. We’re never focused on matters that affect us as a people. We never demand anything of our political representatives other than seeking individual favours.

I completely understand the writer’s confusion because for social reasons of distrust (based on safety and diabolical issues), she probably hesitated to take on the matter any further than she did. I would be just as helpless too in that situation, even though the reality is that I could have done more. Maybe I missed it but why with so many people involved did the woman not get taken to a hospital? Locating her relatives should be secondary where an emergency is concerned.

Let’s all remember that we’re human, and regardless of social status just as vulnerable as the other in life. Again, “eh ya” responses will not solve our problem. Today it is the old woman, tomorrow, it may be you or your loved one.

• Author Unknown February 14, 2016 at 5:14 pm

This story has been out now for almost 24 hours, and as expected, the overwhelming response was to blame Lola, the writer of the story. I guess problem solved, right? How many of us, since the story came out, have sent e-mails or called our representatives? I know many likely went to church this morning. How many approached the pastors of their mega churches to start a petition demanding better? How many of our legal minds have thought of the idea to institute legal action on behalf of the family or estate of the deceased once the identity is confirmed, if only to make a point?

Please, let’s be mad enough to actually do something. Bellanaija, you have the traffic. Don’t stand by either.

• Manny February 15, 2016 at 3:10 am

I don’t understand why anyone would blame Lola, knowing the way our country works when it comes to such matters. This thing happens in China too, where nobody stops to help anyone in distress.
        All I can say is that we have social media at our disposal these days. Stop to help people if you can and RECORD everything. That way, if the person dies and the police wants to blame you, you have evidence.

• Exclusive February 14, 2016 at 12:03 am

I almost wish I didn’t click on this story. Now, there is just this heaviness in my heart.
    I pray that God grants her eternal rest.

As for this country, our country, I’ll just keep my mouth shut.

• Apple of his eyes February 14, 2016 at 12:03 am

Sorry if I sound mean, but I feel u didn’t do enough. Yes, u didn’t. All I see u talking abt is what the government can do or give us, how the government failed the woman. U on the other hand failed the woman as a neighbor (the bible kind of neighbor). I know it’s not ur responsibility but that is where compassion, humanitarian acts comes in. Hmmm, so if she was an accident victims, u wouldn’t ve helped her to the hospital but rather wait for d government even if it seems they won’t. Hmmm, u could veasily done more, rather than just calling(that’s wat anybody can do). U saw her in that state for 2 days I guess. Pls stop pretending like u care. U went home and slept and left an old lady on the road for two days, what were u expecting? To meet her on a water bed? Pls, u are not in anyway different from those social services. U are measured not by the good u did wen convenient. Madam, go and rest. Ty Bellport could ve gone on Twitter and rant abt how a beautiful girl like that should be hawking bread, rather she did something out of the ordinary and now we all know the story. Am so mad at u. Foolish woman. U could ve sent the link to bellan b4 she died, am sure there are pple who will not wait for a government we all know is bad b4 doing the needful. God made u pass thru that route at that time because u could help. I can continue on and on. U think those who pay for pple’so hospital bills who they do not know, they don’t know how to call 112. Pls gerroutof here. SO PISSED.

• Nceey February 14, 2016 at 4:20 am

You couldn’t have said it any better.

• Omg February 14, 2016 at 4:36 am

Unfortunately I didn’t want to be the vibe killer but you hit the nail right on the head.I read this story over and over cuz I was certain my comprehension was off but I kept hoping to see somewhere that this lady helped but I am still shocked like how is this possible that she is complaining about the government like who is the government ? The government is you & I.You have time to make all these calls put you didn’t have time to take this lady to a Sade place? Everyone you claimed was around there couldn’t help? I am extremely disappointed in who sent this story like I couldn’t believe I read this went on for two days and no one even helped wow. I remember helping an ungrateful person a few years ago on my way to America, this lady ended up hurting my aunt but I am glad she could have a place to have her baby.

• Netizen February 14, 2016 at 5:03 am

You honestly need to get out of here yourself. You that is talking, what have you ever done to help somebody? Not everyone would even buy the woman food. Don’t discourage little good deeds with your insensitive rant. You don’t know if she is capable of helping the woman like you would have so she tried her best. Leave her alone.

• Don’t Care February 14, 2016 at 5:19 am

Oh please shut up! It’s easy for you to judge and be PISSED. Park abeg. I’m guessing you don’t reside in this country. Have you ever wondered why Nigerian are wary of helping other people? Because if you do and something happens to the person, Nne na you kill am. Imagine if she had carried that woman at her own discretion, and the woman dies in her custody. How she wan take explain am? Will be surprised that it will be the those same police that will arrest her and accuse her of kidnap and juju. You’ll probably be thinking “ehn, but there’re witnesses” believe those witnesses will disappear if kasala burst. You’ll also be thinking “ehn, your mind shouldn’t go that far when you want to help someone. Pls as a Nigerian living in Nigeria, your mind should go very far esp. if you don’t a connection to get you out of prison or prevent you from being lynched. My advise to fellow Nigerians, help ooo. Pls help, it’s very important but make sure a policeman is there with you or you have a very strong witness who’ll be able to plead your case.

• Krasavitsa February 14, 2016 at 3:48 pm

And we’re surprised that the country is in dis state. It’s this kinda reasoning that got us here. My dad was knocked over by a bike once, a good samaritan took him to d hospital as he had lost consciousness and a great deal of blood. Imagine if the person had thought of ALL the things you typed up there and left him by the road side, I’m pretty sure his story would have been different by now. To God’s glory he’s alive and kicking. I’m with @apple on this one – we Nigerians need to try harder. I’ve seen brought-in-dead cases in the hospital. Most of them were John Does and brought in by the good citizens of Minna and trust me, most (the good samaritans) didn’t know the victim(s) had already passed and they had no issues with the police for helping, neither were they lynched. We really do need to try harder.

• Marie Antoinette February 14, 2016 at 7:03 am

God bless you infinitely!
      Lola should have simply taken the lady to a government hospital first, that’s what a good citizen would do, be a Good Samaritan or as she got to church, talked to the welfare department of her church, I’m sure they would have gladly helped.
      What’s the point of this narration? Now she’s dead and rotting away…
      Call me mean but truth is, Lola, this woman’s demise is partly on you.

• I just waka come… February 14, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I was STUNNED. You were on your way to CHURCH when you saw this woman, you came back from CHURCH and you still saw this woman.

Where do you think CHURCH is ? Your empty buildings with your rubber seats? That situation WAS YOUR CHURCH, that woman WAS YOUR CHRIST.

If you had missed the service you were rushing to sing soprano with all your lungs at to attend to this woman, I’m sure your Jesus couldn’t haven’t been happier.

So you were afraid? That the woman may turn int a vampire on the way to the hospital if you chose to take her there? Then we all should hide behind the mask of fear and wait for nothing to happen. Don’t complain. And don’t drag a non existent social service when you had almost 3 days to spare her a most painful and shameful death.

If reaching out on social media could turn a frog like Olajumoke into Cinderella, how much more in finding a solution to this plight via tweets, Facebook posts, blog posts, some blogs will paste this for free … Did you walk into any radio station to report so they good make a quick service announcement? You had her daughters address, though hazy, did you Google it to see if any links came up or check the neighbourhood.

Did you ask for the service of any doctor even online, I have loads of friends who are medical personnel, who give their time for free, aside your moi moi and pure water, what did YOU do???

That you went home to sleep soundly after discussing with a dying person is beyond me.

RIP Mama.

Social Services did not fail you.
        Government did not fail you.

It was everyone who walked by you and watched you die who failed you.

• Praying Mantis February 14, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Why do people just run their mouths like poorly cleaned gutter? Take her to the hospital, seriously? If you live in Nigeria and someone dies in your custody, you have enter wahala be that.

• Cmbo February 14, 2016 at 7:27 am

Pissed about what? Why are you pretending as of you would have stopped talk less of even doing a quarter of what the writer did. And sad hypocrites are busy liking the comment. Get out jorrr. Mscheeew

• Enough of the bullshit please February 14, 2016 at 9:22 pm

Thank God at least not every one is as empty, vapid and self centered as you. Yes I have stopped. Yes I have helped. At great risk, at great discomfort , but I’m glad I got results.
        By all means bury your head further up your ass, but if you must open your mouth, make it count.
        If the old woman was the writer’s mother, and someone else had watched her die, I wonder how she would feel.

• Marie Antoinette February 14, 2016 at 7:53 am

And before any of you will ask, yes, I have done a similar thing before.
      Back in my final year of uni in southern Nig. I lived off campus, got back one evening to my apartment and met a little crowd gathered around a beautiful well dressed woman in her 40s talking to herself almost in front of my door. Learnt from bystanders she has been there all day. Obviously mentally ill, she was unaware of who she was, where she was or her destination and it was getting dark. I was confused, didn’t know what to do. I gave her some food and water (which sparked a rumour within the neighborhood that she was my mother). At this point, going to the police didn’t occur to me, all I thought of was how to get her to the psychatric hospital, she stopped talking to herself a bit so I asked nicely for her handbag which she reluctantly let go, I looked and saw she had some money and her NUT Imo State Chapter ID card, I wondered what she was doing one hour and half hours away from her base. So I got a cab and took her to the psych hospital, there they refused to take her in because I wasn’t a family member and didn’t have her medical history. I pleaded for her to be kept till morning so I can contact the NUT to no avail.
      Next stop, church, so I looked for a sabbath church particularly because their doors are always open, found one not too far from the hospital, after narrating to the man I met there, he agreed to let her stay as long as I stayed with her ( one of the worst nights of my life! Didn’t sleep a wink, she talked all night, mosquitos dealt with us).
      At break of dawn, having thought all night, I called my cab man and we set out for Owerri, at the NUT office, her record showed that she was the younger sister of the then Bishop of the Imo State Anglican Communion and a teacher at a girls’ school. I got his address, though he wasn’t there but the church folks immediately swung into action, put her in another car & took her to the hospital.
      I went back to school burdened with how I was going to pay the cab. But was fulfilled because, though I took a risk doing all I did, I was glad I did.
      The bishop, her son called to thank me. I learnt she had episodes of cerebral malaria as a result of domestic violence, her ex husband had opened her skull with the heel of her shoe during a fight, so anytime she had a fever, it triggers her mental health. I learnt from the son she passed away six years later.

• Don’t Care February 14, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Nne, you’re case was different. It turned out well at the end. What you did was really good and admirable. However, let’s nit be quick to judge, no one knows Lola’s experience with these type of situations. I know a man who entered wahala cos he helped a victim of hit and run. Police dropped it on his head and the victim’s family almost believed. The police had to
        be bribed before they let him go. Now, I’m very very careful when helping lost people. We’re not even sure if Lola had the money or time to carry the woman to a hospital or to go and look for her family. Yes, people should be encouraged to help but I’ll honestly not judge Lola’s action because I understand that it not that black and white.

• Marie Antoinette February 14, 2016 at 7:55 am

Lol! Sorry for the long epistle.
      Happy Val’s Day! Show love everyday!

• Larz February 14, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Marie Antoniette- i expect more empathy from you given the story you just shared. The hospital turned you down becuz you werent a family member. You had to care for a total stranger and be responsible for them (even the church wont accept responsibility for her). Whilst I commend you for your courage, I cant but wonder if you had any thoughts whatsoever of your personal safety. Anything could have happen whilst she was in your custody and placed you in danger. Also, she was mentally unstable, with you not being familiar with her case, she may have dream based schizophrenic attacks. Even experienced psychiatrist/ medics wouldnt take the risks that you took that night.

I do some volunteer work with vulnerable people and the first advice they give you is to make sure you protect yourself. Ever wonder why on the plane they instruct you to sort yourself out before your children/ anyone else. Becuz you need to live to fight another day.

Finally, everyone is different. People have different strengths and ability. As long as you can do the best you are capable of, it should be enough. She was driven by compassion to do what she can, perhaps someof you can do better. Thank God for your strength.

• Mr. Egghead February 14, 2016 at 10:15 am

How dare you condemn this lady’s efforts? You have no shame. It is so easy for you to sit behind your computer and assume the role of Mother Theresa. Gerrout

• Barb February 14, 2016 at 10:31 am

Hmm I think she was being cautious. She can decide to care for the woman and the police will now say she kidnapped the woman or some other kind of nasty talk. So I won’t really blame her ..

• February 14, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Wooow how judgemental
      Do you know the writers financial state? Do you know how much is in her bank account? Or if she has enough to cater for someone else?
      As a neighbour, she tried her best, her best might not be your best, but it is worthy of commendation.
      You have no right to insult her

• kadara February 14, 2016 at 2:16 pm

We should commend the Writer for at least caring enough to stop and doing her bit. If those at the social services and police did their bit that poor woman would have gotten help. I can understand that maybe she was afraid to take the woman to a hospital incase she died and maybe she didn’t have the money, we don’t know the writer’s situation. In case of next thing though and for the rest of us, maybe the OP should have first gone to the police to report that she saw the woman on the road and would like to take her to the hospital, that way she wouldn’t get into trouble later. If she didn’t have the money for hospital how about reaching out to blogs, the social services would have done their work if the story was on blogs for fear of getting into trouble. We need to realize the power of social media , but we should use it early when it can help. God bless you Lola

• kola February 14, 2016 at 2:55 pm

U started well but ended as an asshole. So she shld carry d woman in her car in naija. Ask urself wot if she dies in her car on d way to hospital. Thats when u will know she has family, thats when u will see police in action, thats when ur good samaritan gesture will turn to something else. Most people want to help but naija system doesnt allow it simple. She must av thought abt wot u said. Use ur brain. E be like say u neva enter yawa before. Idiot cos u started it

• slice February 14, 2016 at 4:42 pm

She sd the woman’s body is still there so instead of saying she didn’t do right, you can finish where she left off and help bury the lady with dignity

• jenni February 15, 2016 at 3:50 pm

you spoke my mind and you dont sound mean. so the writer gave her moi moi and so what. like i stated below, you could have taken her to any church or better still media house, none of these 2 will turn you away. my dad once suffered memory loss coming back from morning mass somewhere in aba. according to a neighbour who saw him, he actually waked past our house without knowing. he went for 6:30am mass, my dad was brought home about 7pm same day. it was a disheartening experience for my mum(being the one at home taking care of him). pls note that that was the 1st time he is experiencing such……like someone mentioned, it could happen to anyone’s parents. which is also one of the reasons i want to quit my job and extend a helping hand with the hope of building one someday soon for families who cant afford the service or can also afford but looking for a trust worthy hand. everything doesn’t require us waiting for the lazyass so called government. please send me an email if you come across such opening anywhere. appreciate.

• molarah February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am

Wow. I’m most disappointed in the emergency services (112) people – they should at least know how to manage case of elderly persons separated from their families. I hope someone in authority is reading this and taking the necessary steps to ensure this doesn’t repeat itself.

• mrs chidukane February 14, 2016 at 12:07 am

This story is really sad. Unfortunately this is Nigeria for you. No-one cares. What policemen are after is making a quick buck. Tomorrow all of them will go to church to ask for God’s blessings. However, let’s not always wait for Government, let’s find a way to make a difference where we find ourselves.

• jane February 14, 2016 at 11:20 am

Nw ur seriously sounding personal. Would u have done better?

• *Sigh* February 14, 2016 at 12:13 am

This is just heart-breaking. I was really hoping not to see the word “died”. I feel really sorry for the woman. Nigeria’s system is just a pathetic one. Anything barely works. Different depressing stories everyday. Imagine what the police and those at the emergency services were saying. I pray the poor woman’s soul rests in peace and our prayer should continue being that we should never have to be at the mercy of Nigeria’s failed system.

• ElessarisElendil February 14, 2016 at 12:45 am

The best thing that could have happened would have been to take her to a private hospital and paid out of the individuals pocket, be the good Samaritan in this case. Expecting social services to work in Nigeria is well naive, the simple fact is the taxes Nigerians pay don’t justify the high end social service stories like this demand.

Until we pay more taxes we have to continue to rely on individual not state charity, might sound harsh but its the reality we live in.

• Asake February 14, 2016 at 6:41 am

It is easier sad than done. Lola did all she had the means to do. Yes there are some lessons she can take incase the event repeats itself in future.
      We are in Nigeria, Let’s be realistic
      What if Lola couldn’t afford the hospital bill If the woman had died on the way to the hospital Lola could have been arrested. If she went to the Alfa nla alone, she could have been mobbed.

There was a day I saw a naked man sitting on the floor at the 4 way junction on Governor’s road Alausa opposite LASEPA and RRS. Police officers passed him by. I did the best i could do – Tweet at Gidi Traffic and traffic butter. I got retweets and someone asked me why am i waiting on govt to do something – why didn’t I do anything – and i responded I tweeted at those who know and her followed by relevant agencies – I do not have the means to carry a naked man. Where ll i take him to?

It’s easy to points fingers at what Lola didn’t do what about people who drove by. What about the uniform men that passed by her – they do not see her as a potential security threat – what if she didn’t die? What if she was planted by a terrorist group. What if she was a kidnapper?

My opinion we need to get Lagos government to see this post – taxpayers money is part of what’s used to run the Lagos Emergency agency. People need to do their jobs.

• h February 14, 2016 at 1:05 am

Well done writer, but pardon me o, next time try n do the much you can to remove the victim from danger, instead of hoping the agencies in charge would help, this is Nigeria, atleast we all know how ythings are, igf you hass driven her yto the police station or yto her house, thes story have been different, igf you hadd stopped on your way to work wwwhen you saw her shivering n driven gher straight yto a clinic or even ythe social services offices, it would hav been better. We must always remember that this is Nigeria, untill things change for the better, especially issues bothering on service delivery, then we can take the kind of risk you took.

• Netizen February 14, 2016 at 4:57 am

Ehn….. so that if the woman still ends up dying, it would be her neck on the line. I know you mean well, but sorry that is a bad advice, like to you said, this is Nigeria.

• Mr. Egghead February 14, 2016 at 1:18 am

This is why Nigerians are fast evaporating into developed societies. Despite the racism, cold weather and threats of being a second-class citizen, the social system is there for you when you need it,

• fleur February 14, 2016 at 4:37 am

I tell you. Before you even get to the social system, what about the basic safety net? i.e., the assurances that if you have a mishap, there is help pending when you can help yourself?

• Omo February 14, 2016 at 3:25 am

Dear Writer,
    As I was reading this, all I could think of was how you failed the Woman! Yes, YOU. You are blaming the government but why didn’t you take the old woman to the hospital. For days, you passed that route but all you did was call social services… Are you from Mars, don’t you know that Social services is whack in Nigeria???
    You were the angel GOD sent to help the woman buy you failed!
    Ask for forgiveness and don’t blame the Government! Let the change you expect to see, start from you!

• fleur February 14, 2016 at 4:35 am

This is an awful story on many levels. That woman could have been the victim of an accident – dislodged tyre from Danfo story- and maybe could have been saved if someone in that Lagos State Government office had felt their duties included serving all who are resident in Lagos and ensuring their well-being and safety. If this were a country where the system is at least responsive to crisis, this would merit a hefty lawsuit and financial loss for Lagos State government. The government exists to serve and cater to the people. It has no other function. If it cannot cater to the electorate, is it still a government? The difference between organizations that function and those that dont is simply whether there is an appropriate reaction for each action, which in turn is hinged on the concept of accountability. If people fail to be accountable to their employer, the tax payer of Lagos state in this case, they no longer desire to serve the employer. The reaction should be that they are subsequently relieved of their duties. If people excel at their jobs and just do what the hell they are paid to do, and they get rewarded, they are incentivized to continue to produce quality product. When will we hold each and every government worker accountable? E no hard oh! If this is one of those instances that spurs us to copy oyibo people, fine. But this is not an unknown area of practice. Accountability is as old as government itself. Some people figured it out eons ago.

• Jen February 14, 2016 at 5:48 am

Na wa oooo. “she died” is NOT what I wanted to read. I have to agree, I flt like more could have been done. She was NOT taken out of danger’s way at all at all. She could have been taken to a hospital @bryceebassey (You’re an awesome actress btw) I would love that to join you in volunteering az well

• Corolla February 14, 2016 at 6:00 am

Then someone will tell me “Naija is evolving o”, “our fashion designers can compete abroad now”, “ehn, Naija weddings are the bomb o”, If you ask me, it’s all glamour in the midst of squalor Se na wedding we wan chop, when we lack BASIC amenities! FREAKING BASIC AMENITIES!!! So so sad!

• NoGoodSamaritan February 14, 2016 at 6:59 am

At OP Volunteer at old people’s home kwa? Wetin u wan find go there? You want to go and see how things are run there so you can come to BN and rant again abi? You that couldn’t help a dying old woman to the hospital, you stood there like mumu calling social services like you just landed from Jupiter and don’t know that Nigeria has finished when it comes to things like that. You failed that woman woefully way before social services did. There is something known as being a good samaritan remember. You even passed the route again and saw her and you still didn’t bother to help her to the hospital. To call you a Failure sef na understatement. You are now coming here to tell us tales by moonlight after she don die so we can do wetin? Say you did well for giving her Moin Moin and water abi? You try ooo, Oya goan siddon we’ve heard enough from u #gerraheremehn #sopissed

• I just waka come… February 14, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I swear it’s like my head wants to burst.
      I’m sitting here in the dark and I can’t even create drop, because the poster and this story represents everything that has completely and utterly failed in this country.

If this writer had just walked on by, I would have far more respect for this person.

People ask me why I don’t go to church, this here mighty example of diligent Christianity is the reason why.

• I just waka come… February 14, 2016 at 1:22 pm

• Lady Mo! February 15, 2016 at 10:46 am

Dear, the church is like a hospital where all sorts of people come to be healed- Liars, forgers, fornicators,etc, There’s no perfect human being, so if you’re expecting to see one within or outside the church, then you’ll wait endlessly. I’m a “church attending” christian, i’ve been duped in church, accused of withcraft but has that stopped me from attending? NO!. I’ve realised even the pastor on the pulpit needs to be healed of something. Like i said, we’re all patients and Jesus is our Doctor. The focus should be on Jesus Christ. So pleeeeeaaase, don’t let the actions of someone make u conclude that the whole church is sick. If you don’t wanna attend church, let it be for other personal reasons.
        Let me steal this quote from the movie Thunderbolt- “A man gives gives a bad name to his race even when that race contains a host of angels, but a Man is a Man!… A Race, A Race!

About the main story, Lola tried HER best…That’s all I’ll say.

• Olabisi February 14, 2016 at 7:28 am

I’m pissed and in tears. You could have done better. You could have done better to help this woman.

• Anon February 14, 2016 at 8:05 am

RIP to the old woman. Such a sad story!

• nene+ February 14, 2016 at 9:17 am

Well the Lola tried her best but apparently was shocked at govt’s negligence! Not every one would have other options but for next time since we are the govt and govt are bunch of scumbag let’s get used to links such as Linda Ikeji who has posted several abandoned people and families and others came for their help handy!!!

It’s scary living in Nigeria, yet Fowler and Fashola preaches tax while government does nothing but clowns about junketting all over!!! God will Punish all our selfish leaders!!!

People are now even so impoverished that it is difficult to help others! Churches have played better role than the govt!!!!

Pray for Nigeria, no emergency line work- life in Nigeria is even less than that of a Fulani cow in 2016 sad!!!!

Consider what happens in the northern Nigeria and Lagos will sound like paradise!!!!

Pray for Nigeria

• nene+ February 14, 2016 at 9:24 am

@ Madam apples you need to appreciate and then encourage people!!!! Many people saw her and ignored the victim yet Lola. Stopped and offered her best!!! We need to encourage people like her and not scold!!!
      Clearly she said it got dark and then no picture, ran to police etc! She indeed tried.

I wonder how many you have helped if you have, then give us guide and how we can help!

• ElessarisElendil February 14, 2016 at 3:25 pm

You were making sense until you started your anti-tax rant.

• larrymoore February 14, 2016 at 10:20 am

politician are hypocrites, leaving us to die in our penury. But one thing is sure ; we shall all be dead one day and meet again where there is no superiority as eternal being.

• Gbonjubola Abiri February 14, 2016 at 10:38 am

Well done Lola.
    Sadly, and as most often is the case, we never know how dilapidated facilities and services are in this country until we need them. Things are really that bad. She didn’t have to die, but someone wasn’t just doing their job.
    The provision of these services isn’t just enough, they must be seen to be functioning and actually function.
    I once had a similar incident reported to the emergency numbers about a corpse lying on the third mainland bridge. Three days after, the body was still there.
    For leads on Old peoples homes, Lagos state runs one in on Birrell Avenue in Yaba, close to Queens College. The Catholic church also runs one located at 142/144 Agege Motor Road, Mushin, Lagos. There might also be some private ones located around the state.
    Don’t let the experience make you weary in doing good, as every little helps.

• another concerned person February 14, 2016 at 10:48 am

You guys change starts from us!!!!!!!!!!!! Not the government, not social services, not that policeman in the office but me and you. This story is heartbreaking to read because yes the writer did try to help and we can’t take that away from her but the writer and every single person that saw that woman could have done more. She could and should have been taken to the hospital. Let’s act first and complain later. Yes social services are terrible but that woman could have been alive today if maybe she was taken to the hospital. Let’s treat people the way we want to be treated, just because if i was helpless and sick on the road, i would be grateful for moi-moi but i would prefer to be taken to a hospital. Moi-moi obviously couldn’t and didn’t save her life. This is an eye opener for me and hopefully for everyone else reading this, when you help someone do the most you can. It may be hard but go out of your way because in the end if the good samaritan had given the injured man only apples to eat he probably won’t be known as “the good samaritan now’.

• Ade_suwa February 14, 2016 at 12:13 pm

so sad 🙁 I will also like to volunteer ,

• Green February 14, 2016 at 12:34 pm

With the way some people are castigating Lola for not doing more, one would think that there are no more homeless/sick people on the streets. You people pass people like these daily on the streets and have never been of help, yet you come here and blame another who offered to help in the little way she could. Lola, weldone!

• Half God… Half Goddess February 14, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Please use what is left of your sense.

Have you heard of social services in Nigeria?
      Do you know where they are located, phone number, social media handles etc?
      Of course you don’t. These are things that every Nigerian should know.
      But THEY DONT exist

This woman did not have 11 minutes to die, she had OVER THREE Days from the time the writer found her.

You offered Moi moi and water, what if I tell you that your moi moi blocked her trachea and food was the last thing she needed at that time?

If everyone uses FEAR as an excuse then I wonder what change we are expecting and who we are expecting it from. If I’m going to help an accident victim, then I harden my heart to do what needs to be done.

If not, I pretend I don’t see and pray someone else can help.

So you nursed her to her death, congratulations. Please next time, just walk on.

• Nakoms February 14, 2016 at 1:03 pm

There are two tragedies here. The poor old lady and the poor writer. I sincerely felt the writer could have done more than she did. She obviously has a good heart but she could have gone the extra mile.

Before I come across as been too hard on her, I must state I am also guilty of this too. While she was observant enough and cared to go the much distance she did, I don’t think I would have even cared to stop and see what was going on.

There lies the tragedy of our situation;we have stopped caring. What defines the developed world is not the presence of social services but the sense of community of the people. The average white man would have taken it upon himself to care for the old lady; possibly call social services and if help is not forthcoming take it upon himself to care for the lady.

My take home here is that I will need to do more in helping those around me and going the distance to help my fellowmen even when it is not convenient.

• Mz Socially Awkward…. February 15, 2016 at 1:18 am

God bless you and bless you again. The so-called “cold” oyibos we mock, recognise the importance of a COMMUNITY system that works. Joint commitment by one and all – that is the only reason they have functioning social services & we have zero. Zero power, zero security, zero public road networks…

A grand total of zilch in the so-called “happiest nation in the world” because we “happily” can’t be arsed about these things. Just wearing our oblivious grins each new day as we steadfastly wait for God to fix it.

• duchess February 14, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Lola, you did well, No be everybody fit do wetin u do. so, I applaud you and I say keep it up. I must not fail to tell you this either, you should have pushed further. you should have taken her to a church or something. you should have sent this mail earlier, I do not reside in Lagos, but I know there are good BNers who would have happily helped out. just like some people said, God sent you as an angel to help her, u tried and stopped halfway. you were given a second chance to help her but you kept waiting for other humans. we are in a country where things are not taken seriously. it could be dat you were scared to take matters into ur hands so it does not backfire or something. Sometimes in life we have to take risks I tell u. Surely, if we want to do good with a pure heart, Baba God no go put us for shame! you still have a chance to help helpless people you meet out dre. and to all of us, let us help people in need, we don’t have to wait for them govt. if we can’t do it alone, let’s reach out to others who are willing to help via social media. Rip to the old lady, sleep well now. sorry for the long epistle ma people. 1love

• Do Better February 14, 2016 at 1:26 pm

We need to learn be the change we want to see in the world. As Nigerians we have come to understand that our whole systems are decrepit and that we certainly cannot count on them. Is there anything that works in Nigeria? Certainly not.
    Now Lola, although I’m glad you cared at all and tried to do alittle, darling you didn’t do enough. Sometimes we just need to put ourselves in seemingly uncomfortable situations especially in cases like this where someone’s life is on the line (and I’m talking from multiple experiences). We might berate the government but we also have a part to play. The Samaritan could have fed the guy and told people that there was someone on the road since he was travelling but he choose to go out of his way to do better. Abeg Abeg, as Christians and just plain human beings we need to do better.

• TrueTalkCritique February 14, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Such a really sad story……yes change starts with you and I but let not be too quick to judge Lola. We all have our individual issues and battles, you and I might have been able to do more but what if she didn’t have the capacity to help any further…..i believe that the fact that she stopped, feed and made those calls was because she wanted to help and did so within the remit of what she had and could give. what is truly sad is that had this woman died in Lola’s care, it will be entirely a different story as we leave in a society that witch hunts and punishes people for trying to do good. May the soul of the departed rest in peace.

• Dayo February 14, 2016 at 2:24 pm

The writer was on her to Church. Even if she could not have done more herself or was afraid she might get entangled in inadvertent “good samaritan” trouble, she would have done more good by telling this story in Church and getting them to help (Nigerians probably pay more money in tithes to churches than in taxes to the govt) than telling us post-facto on BN.

• ElessarisElendil February 14, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Exactly!!! Rushed to church, interrupted the service, somebody is dying we need to help.

• Dayo February 14, 2016 at 3:39 pm

…and interrupting the service would be the end of human civilization?

Dude, there are usually more church wardens (and church vehicles) on any given Sunday in Lagos than there social services bureaucrats or ambulances. If we cannot find compassion and assistance for human beings in a church, of exactly what use are they?!

• ElessarisElendil February 15, 2016 at 5:31 am

used to emphasize the accuracy of a figure or description.
      “they met in 1989 and got married exactly two years later”
      synonyms: precisely, entirely, absolutely, completely, totally, just, quite, in every way, in every respect, one hundred per cent, every inch, to the hilt; More
      used as a reply to confirm or agree with what has just been said.

Why am I getting the vibe you didn’t see “exactly”?

• Mee February 14, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I’m really surprised at the comments on here. Do you know what would have happened if she took the woman to the hospital? To start with, they would have rejected her until she paid the full amount. And then if something bad happened, the police would have arrested Lola and that’s another can of worms.
    Guys, wake up please. You are blaming Lola because you have accepted this joke called infrastructure and system in Nigeria. We keep doing that, blaming ourselves, when what we need to do is demand more from the government.
    Lola, you did your best and that’s all that is required from you. Do you guys know who she helped last week or last month? You don’t know how many other situations she has been in and went over an beyond. She took the woman to the police station for God’s sake. How many of you have driven past accidents on the road- did you come down each time to ensure people who needed help would be driven to the hospital? Imagine if you wee Lola and you wake up to see the harsh words above…think of the effect of your words before you type.
    Demand more from your government, not from your neighbor. Your neighbour’s acgions should be the icing on the cake, not the infra attire. Lola, well done.

• Niola February 14, 2016 at 2:54 pm

I am shocked Lola is being criticized honestly you lots shock me.. How many of you have even stopped to glance at someone in need let alone do what Lola did..she has helped to her capability . Lola is very right to condemn the government . They hAve failed every Nigerian since everyone runs it’s own country within Nigeria.It is their responsibility and not hers ..what you lots are doing is administering moral judgment on her and that is so unfair …Nigeria is a difficult place to help others especially in such a situation as that which is mentioned here. Anyway in the jabez prayer lord bless me that I may be a blessing to others that way I can build my children’s home to cater for street children and old peoples home to cater to the old… And for all those past governments including civil servants in every sector of the Nigerian govt who failed us and stole ,your wealth as sinners is stored for the righteous you wait and see.,.wicked lots

• nnenne February 14, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Thanks Lola, you did your best. Please do not in any way feel guilty.
    This is a learning experience for all of us.
    Certainly our government could start from somewhere. At least put policies for safety net in place and have them implemented.

I remember driving through Onitsha general hospital one day, and a lady with presumably, her very ill son waving at us to drop them off. We told the driver to stop and pick them up but he was against it because he said, if the man dies in the car, we will be in a big trouble with the police..Apparently, there is nothing like ‘ Good Samaritan law” that protects individuals rendering emergency cares to strangers.

Change is the only thing that is constant. Nigerian leaders should step away from the status quo. We need to be constantly re-inventing our country.
    Performance improvement is the key!
    NO COUNTRY IN THIS WORLD IS PERFECT, but upwardly moving countries are constantly looking at themselves, what they are doing right and wrong, and thinking out ways of making prudent changes and IMPLEMENTING THE NEW IDEAS. Sometimes it is not money… it is setting goals, planning and implementing those fresh ideas. Life changes and human beings need constant change to adapt very well. People are always quick to say…’ that’s how it is done in Nigeria.”

May the old Lady’s soul rest in peace. May God continue to bless Nigeria!
    SAD, MUCH!

• Cece February 14, 2016 at 8:00 pm

Lola, rather than wanting to become a volunteer, I think you should set up some sort of foundation for helping people in this situation especially as you are uncertain of the emergency system in Nigeria.

‘Be the change you want to see in the world’

Happy Valentine,people!

• Blah blah February 14, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Lola, I hope you read this. Please don’t listen to anyone up there who says you failed the woman. I don’t think you guys understand the society called Nigeria. Let me break it down.
    1. Take her to the hospital. First of all, there’s the hope the old woman doesn’t die in your car cos if she does, you would be arrested for murder.
    2. Lola would have been required to pay the woman’s bills. The hospitals wouldn’t admit her without some sort of deposit. How many of you know how buoyant Lola is? Another important thing is the old woman might be seen as the victim of an accident. A car tire hit her! Many hospitals could ask for police report in that situation.
    3. Look what happened when she went to get the police involved. A police man followed her and disappeared into the crowd!! And you are saying she failed the woman.
    We are talking about a situation where the police and emergency services she reached did not care. The idiot lady on the phone was concerned about rating service.
    Lola, anyone in your situation could have done more and reached roadblocks and the story would have the same ending with you in a lot more trouble. You did your best.

• Can’t deal honestly February 15, 2016 at 12:24 am

Oh that’s all right dear Blah blah, I assure you that your words will be clearly remembered and explicitly followed when any of your family or even you is injured and left to die.

I’m sure you expect Angel Michael and Angel Raphael to fly down and make things right. Keep waiting.

Government is not your problem.
      It’s the mentality of lazy ass shriveled minds like yours that is the problem.

What grates my nerves is that the writer actually said she was on the way to CHURCH and came back from CHURCH…. LMAO…
      Everything you will ever learn in that your church throughout your lifetime, from birth to death, was in that your situation there.

That’s my problem with organized religion. It turns people into zombies, without the ability to think and truly empathize.
      And I can’t even deal with your last lines, really? You wanted to take a picture of the dead body? Really? What for? As a reminder of where your hundred naira moi moi and water went into?

Perhaps if you had sent your chronicles and the photo WHILE MAMA WAS ALIVE, it would have made sense.

• Blah blah February 15, 2016 at 11:09 pm

My family and I will never be left to die. Where did you see me say no one should ever help? So explaining how a society works and trying to make people see why Lola made the decision she made is my crime. Did you not see where I said she did her best? Her best being the operative word? Not the best anyone would or should do. I was trying to make someone who did HER BEST feel better when most of you are putting her down. And then I get this from a cretin who has probably never lifted a finger to help anyone dying. Shut the hell up! Bastard oshi!

• Enough of the bullshit please February 14, 2016 at 9:32 pm

You people make me laugh.
    Where do you think you are?
    You are calling for social services in a country that cannot even offer you 5 of uninterrupted power supply daily.
    Healthcare, comatose.
    Education comatose.
    Economy comatose
    And you expect your social services to be up and doing? Is the writer just coming from obodo oyibo?
    This is the shittiest story I’ve read all year, I wish I didn’t read it. And then you say you wanted to snap a picture of her decomposing body? What for? Are you well at all?? You couldn’t take a picture of her alive, it is when she’s dead you remember your selfie skills.
    Bella Naija I’d really like the full name of this comedienne, please provide.

• Daybreak February 15, 2016 at 4:23 am

So i read ur write up, read comments, then went back up to reread your write up. Lola, u tried. Thank u for that. But, i think u cld have gone the extra mile. She gave u the address of her daughter. U cld have gone there to check it out and informed her if it turned out to be correct. But u tried.

• Daybreak February 15, 2016 at 4:30 am

And u say it was dark so u couldnt take a ckearer pix? I would like to believe ur fon has a flash? Most of us take pics in the dark and it’s really cleat. U could have sent it to any of the blogs that very evening and by morning, i’m pretty sure somebody could have recognised her. Like someone said in the comments, the change we seek starts with us. U really could have done more.

• Only Bs works February 15, 2016 at 7:20 am

I read this once.

Then went back to read the part about you rushing to and from CHURCH.

And I laughed, roared with laughter, made this 5 line comment and shut the page.

• Amy February 15, 2016 at 10:10 am

Just wondering, why didn’t you help her till the end?!! seeing that these people were not forthcoming! you could have at least taken her to the hospital and then try to locate her people! i seriously don’t understand this! you gave her moi moi and water, took her to the police station where you know they can never be of help! like i said i still don’t understand though! Maybe her soul rest in peace!!

• uche February 15, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Soo sad!

• jenni February 15, 2016 at 3:34 pm

its so sad. this is one of the reasons i want to quit my job and start working in old people’s home or orphanage. am so upset at this story and somehow not happy with the writer. you should have thought fast and taken her to a catholic church or any church or even a media house, they always have a place for anyone and leaving her there or coming back to check doesn’t really say much because it didnt save her from dying from neglect. please i am interested in working in old peoples’ home, i dont mind the take home. i just want to help someone who needs it. i used to see this old an on falomo bridge every morning sitting and reading a book or bible and once n awhile he looks up to beg. it is so disheartening. he probably has grownup kids who cant help or choose to live a reckless lifestyle.

please anyone know of any old people’s home especially, please send me an email. i would really appreciate.

• Christiana February 15, 2016 at 3:40 pm

May God bless you for following up, You tried your best. Its quite sad that in our present day Nigeria, social services is poor and the elderly and physically challenged are left at the mercy of people who don’t care about them. I am a product of a Physically challenged mother(blind), she struggled to get me educated and I know how people used to stare at us each time we walked down d road sometimes with the same dress everyday and on hungry stomach. We are alive today by God’s grace and with help from friends and strangers. We must learn to make an impact in our surroundings cos the government does not really care about the elderly and challenged people. #They don’t need pity but your help

• Lola February 15, 2016 at 5:50 pm

This is Lola. I see all the comments. God bless us all. As for the few critics, I actually attached 3 pics to this story. It must have been left out. They were not so clear. Clear enough to see the situation but maybe not clear enough to recognise the face. I also did go to where she stated that was where the police man left me. And obviously I cldn locate anyone infact we went to abt 3 mosque bfr I went home. My son was still in the car all this time.
    As I planned to go there early the next morning, she was no longer there. I planned to stop by at Ikeja general hospital to ask if I cld bring her and what the cost implication will be, but where do I find her.
    It’s ok to have varying opinions though.
    I pray our country gets better and heavens forbid a next time, I pray am able to do better.
    Pls I still need info on a home for the elderly. I’ll like to be a volunteer. Thanks.

• Cece February 15, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Lola your explanation or excuse in shows you still dont get it! Im pissed that you even added your son to the new story you have creatd here which maybe trying to draw pity but failing. Thats if u even have a son at all. When you become a volunteer, i hope you dont take pictures of sick people.

• Fumz February 16, 2016 at 11:44 am

Even after her story, you still codemn her. There’s no need for her to draw pity from vile people like you. Yes, Lola does have a son and lost her own mum less than 6 months ago. You and all those others who say they are pissed, so what?! ‘Who your piss epp’?

Abeg y’all should park well. And stop being hypocrites. She tried HER BEST and if that is not good enough for you, then just walk on byyyy; we await your own inspiring story. I can bet a billion bucks that you’re not half as compassionate as Lola is.

Why should she be silent about the fact that our social services are comatose, even though it’s been like that for decades? If Buhari can choose to fight corruption that has eaten deep into the fibre of the country, why must we ne bullied into silence? Why did Buhari not bring money from hos pocket to give pensioners who haven’t been paid for months? Why are the Federal roads still death traps? You think President Buhari doesn’t see it? Or why is 450 Naira equal to £1? Is Buhari blind? No he’s not. Why has he not taken from his pocket money to solve the issues naa? Think welll before your mouth biko.

• wendifil February 15, 2016 at 7:10 pm

Lolade youve done well. May God rewardcyou bountifully.

• peo February 15, 2016 at 9:03 pm

@piss taker you’re a sick – my mum once helped a woman who had hiv/aids who on dying told my mum to take care of her 1year old child, now you’ll ask how my mom found this woman she went on her usual evangelism on opebi-sheraton link bridge this woman had full blown aids o and my mum took this child to an orphanage later on took the child and became a foster mum to her she continued the usual evangelism at this bridge when one sick fame hungry journalist can’t remember his name again approached her and her team they hit talking about the late lady he saying he was doing a documentary to paint Lagos state government in a bad light to the international public long story that’s how this son of a bi**ch went to the lasg told them my mum killed and kidnapped her child someone my mum took to one of the best hospitals in ikeja before she died o I’ll end it here that’s how they implicated my mum Lagos state put her in detention tortured her case is still in court,this has made me. Develop the look and pass attitude no matter how I see that person dying I’m sorry I’ll just look and pass oloun ma je Kan ko igbo si oluwa e lapo
    People are so quick to run their silly mouths cos they’ve never been in the position of trying to help and getting severely punished for it

Ignore my typos

• Just can’t deal with bs…. February 15, 2016 at 10:25 pm

It’s not just ‘ok’ to ‘have varying opinions it’s ESSENTIAL, that way people learn how best to address situations and not rely solely on the presence or absence of wisdom.

God with you.

• Ebony February 15, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Madam Cece and all those criticising, can u pls help educate others on what exactly should be done in such situations ? Funny pple. Just dropping comments without thinking

• Can’t deal with bs… February 16, 2016 at 6:00 pm

I am sure if you cared to read sensible comments from 1-99 excluding yours of course, you would have seen a number of alternatives suggested.

Or where you expecting these suggestions to be bound, laminated and hand delivered to your front door ma’am? Mtsheww.