FullSizeRenderThose with Natural ‘unpermed’ hair know how tasking it is to come up with quick hairstyling ideas especially when we aren’t on any protective styles… and the sound of the car horn or our boyfriend’s/husband’s impatiently raised voice, asking us what we are still doing in the bathroom or why it’s taking us forever to put our hair in order, right?

Well, I figured some easy styles and a better way out. You’ll be pleased with what you can achieve on freshly washed, stretched hair, with a little moisturizer, oil, a scarf and two hair bands.

Here are a few styles I came up with that you could wear to your valentine date (lunch or dinner) to help you avoid being late or keeping loved ones waiting, and yes, you don’t have to have unrelaxed hair to try them out too.

Steps to take before you begin styling:

Preparing your hair

1. Deep Condition and Cowash hair (You could avoid this if your hair is already clean.
  2. Moisturize (using a moisturizing cream) and Seal with oil (jojoba or Castor oil)
  3. Blow dry with cold air or low heat with combing to stretch hair (be sure to use heat protectant) or see ways to stretch hair without heat here.
  4. Choose what styles from the pictures below you would like to recreate.
  5. Don’t be afraid to get creative, alter a step(s) to suit your taste.

What you need

• Bobby Pins/Clips
  • Wide tooth comb
  • Scarf
  • Little hair bands
  • Little brush
  • Edge Control

Corn-rowed Crown

Image (1)

• Divide your hair into 2 unequal parts (you could part in the middle or in the side like is done in the picture
  • Braid the smaller part in front in 3-strands on both sides
  • When done, put all of your hair in a bun.

Twisted Mo’hawk Bun

Image (3)

• Bring out some middle hair infront and twist individually
  • Brush the sides and pack in a high bun
  • Twist the the tips using a curling cream or moisturizer
  • When ready to leave, loosen the twist to have the curl at the bun
  • Fold in the braided front and secure with bobby pin.

Folded Bun

• Separate all front hair to be folded like in pic1.
  • Fold the left out front inwards all the way to the end
  • Put the remaining hair in a bun using your hair band
  • Fold the tips round to form a donut on top

Don’t forget your makeup and jewelry!

Wrapped Bun

• Like in picture 2, bring out some hair in the middle, like a mo’hawk
  • Pack the rest of the hair in a high messy bun
  • Then wrap the left out hair infront around the bun(you can use bobby pins to secure)
  • Apply makeup wear jewelry…Pow!!

Double Bun

• Separate hair into 2 equal parts, top & bottom
  • Using two hair bands, pack them in a bun
  • Use bobby pins or small clips to hold the both buns together in the middle
  • Don’t forget the makeup & a little perfume at the back of the ears!

Old School Bun

Now this could be in a high bun or low one

• Section hair like in picture 2 and pack the rest of the hair all to the back or in a high bun
  • Fold the left out middle hair infront inwards and secure with bobby pins
  • It would create a folded fringe

A little makeup, brushed edges with edge control, jewelry then you’re good to go!

Scarfed Fold

• Tie the scarf (you can use colored elastic head band instead) around the hair tightly (you can part your hair in the middle or side)
  • Fold the left out hair at the bottom into the scarf
  • Pull scarf backwards

A little makeup and jewelry then you’re done.

What hairstyles would you be trying out this Valentine’s?

Photo Credit: @knotteebynature

16 Comments on Jasmine Zik: Natural & Can’t Figure Out How to Style Your Hair For Valentine’s Day? Here Are 7 Options to Try
  • Jo! February 13, 2016 at 3:30 pm

That wrapped bun nor too werk like that Sha. Everything else is fantastic

• Enny** February 13, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I remember going for an audition back when i used to model. The guy actually used me as an example to show other girls how not to style your hair at an audition. Lol. Got back home and relaxed the hell outta my all nautural larger than life afro.
    Now i dont have the guts to go back to natural.
    Its lovely dear, keep showing us.

• kenya February 13, 2016 at 6:31 pm

I rock natural hair. But those first few pics are a hott mess

• toluh February 13, 2016 at 11:56 pm

i wish i could love your statement a hundred time. and i am natural haired o. Go get styles from Nse,omoni and beverly

• ATL’s finest February 14, 2016 at 9:47 am

@ Kenya God bless U!! I’m so team Natural all the way but if I try a style & can’t get it right, then I pay a pro to do it. My first thought was oh she must be kidding me & @ BN is sure a JOKER for featuring this. If I wasn’t Natural by now, after seeing this; I’d be discouraged.

• cledges February 13, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Very hot mess

• linda February 13, 2016 at 11:21 pm

You’re beautiful! Natural hair is difficult to manage at times and finding styles can be tough. Thanks for ideas and for the mannerless lot above, think before you post. Can think of sth positive, close your Web browser

• zolzie February 13, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Nice job dearie. Wish I could go natural. Keep it up.

• chichi February 14, 2016 at 12:23 am

Pretty girl but these your styles sha” they is not cute.” and that the God’s honest truth. I dodge this your inspiration .Thank God for utube. Pretty sister please visit utube type natural hair styles and get inspired.

• tobi February 14, 2016 at 1:20 am

Dry and lacklustre styles.

• No Joy! February 14, 2016 at 8:53 am

You guys have no joy sha! On Valentine’s Day fa? No bae? Whose fault?

• Passingby February 14, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Perhaps it’s you that has a problem. People are entitled to their opinions. If I came to your saloon and you showed me different hair styles I’m I not entitled to choose which one I want. You can’t force your taste down people’s throat. The girl is pretty the hair styles she’s showcasing in my opinion are not pretty. I wouldn’t be trying any of them. Maybe you can try them for your val. Hopefully your date wouldn’t be as dry as those hair styles.

• Kina February 14, 2016 at 3:32 pm

LMAO I’ll rather be late for a date than turn up looking like I’m having the mother of all bad hair days looool.

• ibi February 14, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Thank God for you tube. The styles she is ‘showcasing’ aren’t encouraging at all. They look rough. I keep my hair natural but not like this

• somi February 14, 2016 at 8:14 pm

horrible pictures. not tidy at all. i have natural too and i style better than this

• Mira February 14, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Nice one, Nma dear. Keep it up!