See Olajumoke’s First-Ever Fashion Shoot! …for April by Kunbi

Olajumoke April by Kunbi 1We get to see the official photos from Olajumoke Orisaguna‘s first-ever fashion shoot. This past week, Frank Ugah photographed her for an April by Kunbi shoot. Many assumed that it was for a lookbook. However, the designer has revealed that it was indeed for her Valentine’s postcard.

The creative director of April by Kunbi, Olakunbi Oyelese also shed light on the story behind the shoot.

Olajumoke April by Kunbi 2

Jumoke giving face!!

For her first ever fashion shoot, she didn’t do badly at all! Thanks to Damilola from her agency @fewmodels for giving her tips on poses and expression. This is just the beginning. It’s no news that Olajumoke’s story literally broke the internet last week, and we were reminded about how amazing God’s grace is and that he’s still in the business of turning lives around and blessing us.

I’d wanted to do a Christmas postcard but my schedule last quarter of 2015 was beyond hectic (Not complaining o! Lol). So I decided to do a Valentine postcard instead…Not a lookbook/collection as a lot of blogs have reported. I mentioned in my post last week that I’ll definitely be booking her and I don’t regret it one bit! It was a pleasure working with her and seeing her transform, taking instructions, moving like she’s been doing it all her life….She’s a natural.

Olajumoke April by Kunbi 4Jumoke’s story has forced me to look closer at my surroundings. There’s absolutely no doubt she is blessed but there are a lot of Olajumokes around us…Hardworking and just want to feed and help their families. You might not be able to get that pepper seller a modeling contract, but the next time she says the price for her pepper is ₦100, please don’t price it to ₦30. I’ve been guilty of this, trust me. To think that someone around me works/walks in the sun all day and her profit at the end of the day is at most ₦500.

I’m happy to have offered Jumoke her first paying modeling job. May it be the beginning of an amazing career. She might not be a runway model but she’s perfect for print and editorial! May God help us all to make someone’s life easier, someone’s load a lot easier to carry. God bless you @TyBello for the reality check. Special thank you to @frankugahphotography you came through for me at such short notice and to @christinecreations!! Christine listened to my brief to the T. You are amazing!!! Happy Valentines Day to every single one of you! God bless you. Spread love not hate.

A powerful message from Olakunbi.

She also addressed the controversy regarding the makeup and styling of the shoot.

Olajumoke April by Kunbi 5

I normally wouldn’t comment on things like this…but To ALL the internet warriors that have criticized the makeup for this shoot (as seen on Jumoke’s page) …please NOTE that if Jumoke continues her career as a model, you will most likely not see her as the ‘bread seller’…she will work with a lot of designers with different ideas and looks for what story they are telling. She has to become a chameleon to project whatever she has been booked for. Makeup for photoshoot is usually more than the everyday ‘owambe’ face beat as it gets toned down with flash and lighting as seen in the finished photographs from @frankugahphotography. Enough of the “let her natural beauty show”, “use her natural hair”. @christinesignatures is an awesome, hardworking and dedicated make up artist. I am offended by the amount of hateful comments towards her and her craft. We need to learn to get our points across without been hateful. She followed the brief I gave her that was befitting to the story I was telling. Well done Christine! Jumoke looked amazing. #SpreadLoveNotHate #HappyValentinesDay

Happy Moments on Set

A video posted by AprilByKunbi (@aprilbykunbi) on

74 Comments on See Olajumoke’s First-Ever Fashion Shoot! …for April by Kunbi
  • ATL’s finest February 14, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Kudos to her! She needs to work more on herself obviously. But she’s not looking bad at all & I pray she utilizes this opportunity WISELY & that includes the people she brings around her.

• Caligula February 14, 2016 at 11:08 pm

Like she’s one of the most naturally beautiful Nigerian lady I’ve ever seen.. I hope and pray she breaks barriers!!! Unlike all these other yeye celebrities all over Instagram…. All bleached out nd all that ?

• Kike February 14, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Kudos to Kunbi for defending the makeup artist, a lot of people would just let her take the slack. What she said about her being a chameleon is so true, a model needs to be able to tell every designer’s story. I love the finish work. She photographs beautifully!

Kunbi has said it all. Stop pricing market women out of profit, they are the real entrepreneurs/hustlers of our society. There is dignity in their work, respect them and pay them their dues.

• Yaseer’s crush February 14, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Ehen….this looks much better dan d first made-up photos we saw. I hope say anty Jummy dn get better manager o

• Miss Wonder February 14, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Does Jumoke want all of this? She seems miserable….

• Anita February 15, 2016 at 1:07 am

Fortune teller na u know how does she seem miserable mtcheew hater oshi

• lola February 15, 2016 at 7:41 am

How can u say that?Awon haters oshi

• LEM February 15, 2016 at 9:19 am

And thats why people are afraid to talk now. Someone makes an observation and is called a hater. Please we all have a right to make comments without everyone automatically assuming he/she is a hater @ Anita and @Lola

• fatimas February 18, 2016 at 6:58 am

Go and pray for your own helper,you bad belle, how do you know she is miserable? Ewure

• raji olajumoke February 19, 2016 at 4:23 pm

U are just being jealous of her success. Bad mouth

• o February 14, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Errrrrrrr……..still NO???

• Kina February 14, 2016 at 8:57 pm

NON of these hyper staged optics can top the bread selling one taken by ty Bello.. Ty was able to capture the essence of this this ladies beauty. All these staged photos have not being able to capture that magic and are not doing her any favours. it either the camera eye, lacks experience and can’t direct this lady or the model is thoroughly out of her comfort zone and this is being captured in her shots.

• RichyGame February 14, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I respect you. I couldn’t find the words but reading your comment was an Eureka! moment…

• Moyo February 14, 2016 at 9:00 pm

I am not a hater and most of the comments on her make up, If a valentine themed shoot, why did the MUA make her look like a Barbie doll. Even runway models still have their natural look unless it is Goth inspired

• Ruth February 14, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Oluchis rise to fame had a very similar story too.
    Am disappointed she hasn’t said anything.

• May February 14, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Excally what my friends and I discussed the other day…. I think Oluchi would be a good mentor for her in her modeling career.

• Experience February 15, 2016 at 4:41 am

Arrogant Oluchi! LOL! Don’t bet on it.

• Tinuke February 15, 2016 at 9:29 am

sorry but oluchi was scouted. she had the features of a model. We not just talking pretty face. I respect oluchi for not getting involved in this media circus created by bella.

• Engoz February 15, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Why should Oluchi get involved? This is how some of you kill other people’s career. Some of you are just unbelievable simpletons. Is that how you jump into anything because it is trending? That is how Nigerians jump into any trend and are not satisfied until they bastardize it.

• Uranon February 14, 2016 at 9:29 pm

MAy I say what everyone is thinking but afraid to say? I love Olajumoke’s story but she is definitely not model material. Very basic looking…but nice for a bread seller sha. Might have been better for her if they helped her into another career instead of modelling. I hope this leads to real opportunities for her.

• Aunty nobody February 14, 2016 at 10:04 pm

very basic looking but nice for a bread seller. wow, you must be miss world. i wonder why you are still an anonymous nobody and this girl is famous. If they helped her into what career exactly, the one in your father’s company. My friend gerrarahere. She is just starting, in a few months to a years time, the so called basic bread seller you will want her autograph. veiling your obvious jealousy with “i love her story”. We know your types. I wonder if you would look better if you were plucked from your anonymous obscurity. Mschew

• Jaygirl February 14, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Thank u Aunty Nobody.

• stone February 14, 2016 at 10:08 pm

Couldn’t have said it better. my sentiments exactly.

• nene+ February 14, 2016 at 10:26 pm

Haba how else should a model look? Until she turn a skeleton??
      She is a beautiful girl by modelling standard! Besides she just started! your bias is that she once sold Agege bread!!! She is a beauty please.

I hope she is able to manage it and that they make provision for her husband!!! Poor husband I hope he can fit into all these paparazzi?

Congrats Jumoke! Please take your hubby with. Jare!

• Ijebujesha February 15, 2016 at 2:32 am

Nigerians and this social class thing..haha! And if we dig well, you or your rich parents are most likely thieves that we call politicians or government officials- same people that denied her opportunity to go to school. Well, selling bread is more honnourable than stealing in any sane society. Better get off that rubbish mentality..Yeyenatu…where is Maryam Babangida today? 6 feet naa ni last, last. Very shallow thinking people

• Aj February 15, 2016 at 2:59 am

Omg! People are really hateful! How can you say something like that? Ty bello is a photographer and works with models what opportunity do you think she should have given her? Plus the way the entire thing happened led to her landing a modeling contract. This is just the beginning for this girl. Why can’t people just be happy for people. Well if people don’t react to your success this way then you must be doing something wrong so I’m not surprised.

• …just saying February 14, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Kunbi, “Internet warriors” ?.”… Enough of the “let her natural beauty show”, “use her natural hair”. Really? why so rude? As a professional, there were a million and one words you could have used to address this without being so uncouth

• Noname February 14, 2016 at 9:48 pm

It’s sad that people don’t appreciate natural beauty anymore. Why not enhance her already nice eyebrows instead of spoiling it with the Nike logo? Chika Emmanuel rocked her low cut for a long time. Why that long hair and why not an Afro? Anyway Kunbi is a copy major and she sees nothing wrong in copying. Rude girl and no wonder she’s besties with Gbemi.

• FasholasLover February 14, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Pls. whatever happened to the other girl that was discovered in Abuja selling noodles on the street? She looks every inch a model. (Unfortunately, l cannot find the story) Lagos peepu pls. epp the other girl too.

• RichyGame February 14, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Additionally, I think they – whoever they are – should find time to educate her before all this ‘glam’ overwhelms the poor soul… there’s her hubby too who would feel the pressure of a new and upscale but somewhat relegated status kind of life. A mentor that can really give her time to hold her by the hand so she don’t make silly mistakes as the mullah and fame reach dizzying heights needs to be in place.

• Eliot February 14, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Uranon. ……..Please just listen to urself. ……so Jumoke should remain a bread seller?????……your comments frightenes me.

• God Punish poverty February 14, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Na wa oh ….na so this beautiful girl for just waste for this life ….say na bread she dey sell…diaaris God oh!. I pray she gets some education and continues to soar. hmmn the ironies in this life …It is well !!!

• concerned9a February 14, 2016 at 10:21 pm

@Uranion…When things go awry for you…ask God who did I offend..some words just carry too much weight..

• Christian Sister February 14, 2016 at 10:21 pm

You know, I actually agree with Uranon. I think her grass to grace story is very inspirational, and she’s undoubtedly beautiful. But is she model material? Uhm not exactly. Her body isn’t there yet, neither are her poses top notch, and I can’t imagine how she would do on a runway. For a face model, probably yes. But there’s nothing really interesting model-wise to see in her, yet.
    And I totally agree, helping her harness her strenghts (like hairmaking), rather than pushing her into a world she may ultimately not be able to survive in on her own i n the long run would have been the way forward.
    Still happy for her tho #nohatehere

• Hadiza February 15, 2016 at 11:12 am

My dear yes her by is not there tethers allow her body to be there yet nah .,. Should she stop everything still her body get there according to you … Remember she nystagmus started all this … Give pple time to grow n Learn

• bekee February 15, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Can you try making some sense? Any sense at all?

• Vision February 15, 2016 at 5:34 pm

I disagree with you, I think she has great skills as a model, go look for the shots with tinny tempah, I could never achieve that in my wildest dream and perhaps you couldn’t either. Have you seen her hair making skills on display? No you haven’t ….
      Take a closer look before you support a comment because if you did, you would have been able to process that she was overwhelmed and that’s okay. Like the other folks said all she need is a mentor that can relate to her an education and a good personal trainer.
      Note that Ty bellow is a super photographer who has worked with turns of models and stars and if she says olajumoke has something amazing then you best believe she does.
      Ps: Visit to TY bello’s page for more info and also check the shots on Thisday Magazine.

• cindt February 14, 2016 at 10:24 pm

to be honest.. I would prefer if she took more pics like ty bello’s or art related.. not all this make up and the likes of it…

• Hadiza February 15, 2016 at 11:13 am

Ty bello can’t b her only photographer … She is just like a blank canvass m she can b remodel for anything

• j’suis belle February 14, 2016 at 10:53 pm

give this girl time she fell into this,hope too much pressure and critics don’t take the best of her

• chichi February 14, 2016 at 11:00 pm

She looks great! If these photos were just taken without us knowing she was a bread seller we would just focus on the clothes. I love these clothes and she does it justice. And to people who said about Ty capturing something in her in the first accidental shoot, well the fact is as a model you should be able to adapt to so many roles. You can’t look the same in every shoot, you cant be a bread seller in every shoot ha ha. And I agree she may not be run way model yet but for now she is a commercial model and currently she works as that. Anything else is not for us to say, she might hate this in a year she might love it or it may take her years to be major but in the end people are getting way too over the top with their judgement talk. PS, some commercial models never walk a run way and they make unbelievable money. Its not just about the runway. Print and endorsements is where the money is.

• concerned9a February 14, 2016 at 11:27 pm

U agree? ?….go back and read again..”not bad for a bread seller “….it’s Sunday and Val day so I’m gonna keep it peaceful

• Bokun . February 14, 2016 at 11:36 pm

To be honest pick up any girl/young lady from the village and with a little help from Peruvian, Brazilian magic, false lashes and a fish tail dress and viola you get Cinderella at the ball. Let’s not forget that Ty Bello is a seasoned photographer. Her picture which featured this young lady was art, the WHOLE picture was awesome largely due to TY’s expertise. I, like many others appreciate the “rags to she deserves better”story but she is far from being a model. By the way I hope she got paid for that picture with tinnie.

• tuulz February 19, 2016 at 12:25 pm

i sense envy here ….you wont die if you wish her well and be happy for her Jumoke you are one beautiful woman…. we thank God for this open door may it open more prosperous doors for you to fulfill your destiny

• Jadesola February 14, 2016 at 11:50 pm

This story just makes my face glow up everytime I remember… I showed my mum this post and she was like “Ojojumo ni girl yi n fine si” meaning “it’s everyday that this girl gets more beautiful”…

While we await God’s blessings we should never pass the chance to be a blessing to others… At least that’s why we keep asking for the blessings of Abraham.

• Benny February 15, 2016 at 12:23 am

The person who said the “not bad for a bread seller” comment or whatever deserves all the misery life has to offer. You are a sad soul.

Kunbi, your words betray a shallow and rude character… Learn to take correction. Sorry that your messiah moment was ruined by people correcting the atrocious work of the makeup artist.

We are thankful for Jumoke’s breakthrough but she was not a destitute. She was doing her business with dignity. Understood she has a better life now but these “the Olajumokes around us” narrative like bread sellers are downtrodden beggars is aggravating

• Dele February 15, 2016 at 1:13 am

In my opinion she looked a million box in the first picture she was featured in. That picture should be in her portfolio. In fact it would be really wonderful if bella naija could sponsor her so that ty Bello could help compile a professional portfolio for her. All these random pictures, are immature and really shouldn’t get into her portfolio.

• Amh February 15, 2016 at 3:12 am

She looks every inch a top model..lovely body beautiful face. Perfect. If we do not know her story. Would you refer to her as bread seller? Can uraon or whatever kindly show your real pic on your avatar. She’s a natural. May she continue to soar.

• Corolla February 15, 2016 at 3:31 am

“but the next time she says the price for her pepper is ₦100, please don’t price it to ₦30″…..

Er… ok., so should we just go about in the market and not haggle for the best bargain ni sin?

• Hawt Talk With Tosan February 15, 2016 at 5:42 am

She is so modest and I hope she keeps her integrity. I can’t get enough of this story! So heart warming.
    Please watch my new Hawt Talk here youtube.com/watch?v=ZPXZcrWduBQ

• Rachel February 15, 2016 at 7:33 am

Some pple are just haters…haba she us ok naa? Wetin una want from DS gal…all she need is time for to adjust to her new life….make una leave am..bad belle pple

• Tinuke February 15, 2016 at 9:19 am

Can anyone up here professing a modelling career for this lady define what a model is?. And why must her physical appearance be the only criteria for her ?betterment. How about an education? Or investing in her business. Okay now that she’s being disrobed of her trading standard street clothing and refurbished in the emperest new clothes are we also going to replace her husband. We need to stop selling this idea of get rich quick mentality to our youth. Pretty girls can also make use of their brains. I have looked at before and after pics of this lovely young girl and as a model Scot I can not see any model features that stand out, the bone structure is just not there. She just looks like any pretty Nigerian girl on bella asobi. should they also be models? A models face is a canvas it’s use to create an illusion. It needs to be symmetrical and have angles as these features make for photogenic pics. Most models are NOT PRETTY OR BEAUTIFUL in REAL LIFE they often look awkward. You can teach a model how to walk, and pose in front of a camera everything else has to be given by mama and papa. Now we have all awwwwed and being amazed at her makeover now bella get your finger out and help propel this lady into a career she can realistically soar in. and I am not a hater as moronic peeps may suggest. Unlike most of y’all I am not underestimating this girl and misjudging her based on her physical appearance alone. Ce.

• D’Roks February 15, 2016 at 11:34 am

what exactly are you saying??

• Tinuke February 15, 2016 at 1:00 pm

@D’Roks What exactly is your question?!!

• sigh February 18, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Is it possible for her to get this look of a model from exercising? Imo Gigi Hadid doesnt look like a model to me, same with Chrissy but they are celebrated models yeah?

• Kehinde February 15, 2016 at 9:45 am

Beautiful woman

• Uranon February 15, 2016 at 11:49 am

LOL …Pls don’t curse me too much . I’m defo not even half as fine as Oljumoke and in my heart not actually hating.

I think I was just trying to say if no one knew her background or the story would they hire her in a casting call? I’ve seen a lot of these rag to riches one hit wonders that I really rooted for . An example is BBC Documentary “Welcome to Lagos” Vocal Slender was plucked from obscurity and from diving the Olusosun rubbish dum rubbish dump. Flown to London for appearances and concerts . I met him in person because I was that excited that I paid £20 to go to the vent organised for him. But it was all well intentioned hype with no view to his real future.

Please where is he now?

What I was trying to get across but perhaps didn’t articulate well is that I wish she would be pushed in a direction where she will know true success and be able to sustain it rather than be popular for 1 year and then return to her previous life. I don’t know where vocal slender is now or what his situation is and I was trying to say I don’t want Olajumoke’s story to be similar.

• No Need February 15, 2016 at 1:23 pm

They don’t need to curse you — some things are almost automatic.
      Scroll back up and read what you wrote.

• yele February 15, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I agree. My biggest fear for her is that all of this will die down. I am really praying she goes international and leaves the shores of Nigeria like Oluchi

• Engoz February 15, 2016 at 12:19 pm

Absolute rubbish. This makeup is the everyday owambe face. I have seen this makeup on every Nigerian girl. Look at the picture where she was barefaced, compare both eyebrows, why was her eyebrow overdrawn like the typical, generic Nigerian woman? The width of her natural looking eyebrow was perfect. When did this madness start for fattening the eyebrows?

• TobeReal February 15, 2016 at 1:20 pm

@Uranon…wrong again!!…why do you want to tie Vocal Slenders Destiny to Jumoke’s.?
    Do you know there’s nothing like a bad experience…you might not see Vocal Slender on TV but I’m sure he isn’t where he was…besides that was a BBC story not a 9ja rags to fame story.
    As for those 67 or so that liked your comment…guess this girl’s story just rubs you up the wrong way..If we search hard who know’s the status of some of y’ll great great grand parents now forming levels!!
    Not a crime to be happy for someone…to have someone like you as a friend…scary!!

• zzzzzzzzzzzzz February 15, 2016 at 1:54 pm

All I can say is I wish her all the best and she could do with some more grooming. I think she would also need a mentor

• papermoon February 15, 2016 at 3:01 pm

I will love to see her take more pictures with her natural hair some time..yep she looks good with that too.

• prince February 15, 2016 at 4:11 pm

This brings to mind again SINACH’s Song “He did it again”. she said “WHEN I THOUGHT THAT HE HAD DONE TOO MUCH, JESUS DID IT AGAIN”
    I’m grateful to God for ordering your steps Olajumoke. Keep growing in that grace that has brought you thus far and never stop thanking God. Dance if you have to , shout it out, Scream it loud.

• yele February 15, 2016 at 4:35 pm

April by Kunbi on her ig page blasting people. Sorry this shoot is tacky (except the one in the white outfit). Who put that wack ugly wig on her, and dont get me started on the Nike eyebrows. The quality of the photos is so wack. In ABK’s mind she has done editorial tins. Abeg go and siddon and learn from Ty Bello. I get the whole glam thing but this one is just the typical tacky april by kunbi stuff. what is the shine shine red jumpsuit. Please TYBELLO come and take the wheel before they make her start looking basic. You can do a nice glam shoot without the tacky oversized wig and shiny clothes. ABK just doesnt get it and instead of taking criticism, she is bashing folks for having an opinion. Please keep your shiny clothes, artificial wig and Nike eyebrows for Toke Makinwa next time.

• Toese February 15, 2016 at 5:28 pm

I love the videos
    Lol @ her ‘hai’ (reminds me of Jenifa)

• nnenneky February 16, 2016 at 1:53 am

The designer rubbish
    The makeup artist rubbish.
    The photographer should destroy his camera and bury it.
    Jumoke please collect your money and go, leave the picture for them.

• Bola Adekile February 16, 2016 at 6:02 am

She is so on fleek! Her story is a proof that nothing is impossible.

• Jamcybaby February 16, 2016 at 8:18 am

Hmm God is wonderful. Frm busy to efizy. Person were no fit write A fr paper see hw God put her ontop of degree holders.. Muv on grl

• Nono February 16, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Y’all mehhn…….., the things we are bothered about sha, which one is make up and hair? that’s the least of her worries. God has definitely blessed the works of her hands.

• vocals February 16, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Well, thank God for Jumoke #soarhigh. For those who are expressing fear on her behalf concerning her husband, go check TY Bello’s instagram page, with what I see, he’s being carried along. And for all worrying for her,please, she just got into this, with time if she can’t cope, she would opt out, but for me, she is doing well as her first major shoot. And for more information, she is also being helped to get better in “hair styling” work which she has learned before, she is being trained educationally too and she has also been given a luxury apartment in Lagos. These whole story isn’t up to a month yet and people are already expecting too much. Give the woman space pleeeeaase. Applaud those who render to help her, with time everything will come together. SHALOM!

• Tosho Akinrinola February 17, 2016 at 12:57 pm

God uses different means to teach us lessons; to start with, this lady appears as a dedicated and supportive wife to her husband, she in her bid to support the husband took to hawking bread, leaving behind a more conducive, less challenging and easier life in Ire to Lagos. She has not forgotten her husband and her purpose, hence the heavy pile of bread she has to carry everyday. God has smiled on her giving her this new life, the Bible makes it clear as concerning her that he who has started the good work in her, shall complete it. She will not derail and the Lord shall continue to guide her steps in this new terrain.

• Maxwell Okeke February 20, 2016 at 5:34 pm

From zero to hero. God can change your situation in a twinkle of an eye.

• kkay February 28, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Let’s all look out for hardworking people in our sphere of contact we could help lift from grass to grace. We see them every day on our way to work, in our ‘hoods, at the markets and shops. Olajumoke is just one out of millions of Nigerians struggling to make a living off the harsh streets of this country.
    Pay school fees, help someone learn a trade, take interest in the less fortunate ones around.
    There are many ‘Olajumokes’ waiting to be discovered and uplifted. Be the next T.Y. Bello, make someone a success.