#FreeEse – Rescued teen tells Punch Newspaper “I am Not Fine”

ESE-ORUSU
While there have been conflicting reports on Ese Oruru, the Nigerian teenager kidnapped from her family in August 2015 and taken to Kano to get married, one thing is for sure, she will need lots of counselling and support over the next few months.

Yesterday, Premium Times shared this video of her resisting going with Police officers.

While today, Punch Newspaper has published this brief interview.

In an exclusive, but brief chat with our correspondent at about 9.45pm, Ese sounded happy on the telephone.

She said, “Hello,” and laughed when our correspondent spoke to her.

“How are you?” Our correspondent asked. She laughed and replied ‘Fine.”

“We are glad you are safe and on your way back home.”

“Who is this,” she asked.

“How was your journey?”

“We have not started the journey, maybe tomorrow,” she said, probably referring to the onward trip to Bayelsa.

“Hope they treated you well and you are fine?”

“I am not fine,” she said curtly.

“Why?”

She replied, “When I come we should see. I don’t know you.”

“I will be looking forward to meeting you,” our correspondent replied.

What all this shows is that Ese needs Nigerians support and prayers. After the media cycle moves on, we really hope she gets all the love, help and support she needs.

48 Comments on #FreeEse – Rescued teen tells Punch Newspaper “I am Not Fine”
  • Tolu March 2, 2016 at 7:33 am

She looks really pale and sick here as against her previous images. Awon aboki yi ti tewo bo aye omode yi….
    Someone should better go to prison for this.

• FasholasLover March 2, 2016 at 10:13 am

They should first remove that nonsense on her head. It is an afront. I just couldn’t bring myself to comment on this matter before now. I am beyond angry. Emir Sanusi has a case to answer. Bottom line, in this animal farm called Nigeria, some animals are above the law. Imagine the inability/helplessness of the police in a secular/sovereign state. This is just beyond comprehension.

• sally March 2, 2016 at 7:40 am

This is soooo sad!!!! May God heal and replenish the Oruru’s in Jesus Name…Amen!!!

• I’d rather remain anonymous March 2, 2016 at 7:42 am

My prayers are with you child. Please be okay

• pasiphae March 2, 2016 at 7:54 am

If I see anyone near my daughter eh!!!!

• seyi March 2, 2016 at 8:00 am

I read the father thinks she ha been hypnotised. I believe!! Cos I grew up in the North.it happens often. They jazz the people.She needs serious prayers. Or she wil lose her mind and be reciting quran until she passes on insisting on being a moslem. They do It often. Pls people pray for her because she needs it.

• Shomawale March 2, 2016 at 9:00 am

Ain’t No prayer can save her. It’s over for her. She is done! Bad Life decision.

• mimi March 2, 2016 at 9:27 am

As long as she is alive….there’s hope……prayer can turn anybody or any situation around…..you are not God

• gabby March 2, 2016 at 8:10 am

Now this is a case were people’s charity is needed. A sponsor to get her in school and save her from poverty. It will then make sense when people say things like God’s blessing, when God says yes no man can say no. I am appalled by how little exposure is given to this true charity case.

• stockholm March 2, 2016 at 8:12 am

Signs of stockholm syndrome. People pray. That’s all we need to do.

• ELLA March 2, 2016 at 8:13 am

My prayers are with you Ese, May God see you through this hard time… God bless you darling… #innocentsoul

• AW March 2, 2016 at 8:20 am

I find the video very confusing. I thought Ese is from Bayelsa? She was speaking Hausa like a native born and had a noticeable Hausa accent. She achieved all this in 6 months? Or was she fluent in the language before she left Bayelsa having associated with the Hausas in Bayelsa? Yes, I know it is irrelevant but I am curious and I find it strange.

• Celeste March 3, 2016 at 9:24 am

Yunusa probably used charms on her, and maybe invoked an evil spirit controlling her enabling her speak hausa (they call it al jenu in the north). Its possible that she speaks the language considering that her mom sells food and the hausa community maybe her customers – some people learn language easily.

• Celeste March 3, 2016 at 10:22 am

Which way forward Nigeria? English professional football player, Adam Johnson has been found guilt of sexual activity and grooming of a 15 year old minor. The girl is being protected and given an anonymous identity – persons that illegally published her identity are currently being investigated and prosecuted.

Here in Nigeria, the reverse is the case: A victim of statutory rape is flaunted all over the media, while the adult offender is protected and shielded when he should be the one out in the media – this country is so wrong on many sides!

They release audio and video recording of her desperate to stay with her abductor to tell us the girl is an accomplice, but hey! That girl is a minor, and their action is not excusable. That video of her refusing to leave is absolute rubbish! You don’t abduct a minor away from her parent or caregiver, even if she is running after you. And we don’t care if she eloped with Yunusa, she is below consent age, period! If Yunusa is below 18, then there is no case, but he is an adult and so should face the law. And whosoever is found culpable should answer for it, including the emir. This matter should not be swept under carpet.

Even if your religion permits you to marry a minor, sorry, Nigeria is a secular state so relocate to an islamic state that’s cool with it! And even in those countries that allow child marriage, you don’t abduct and marry another’s daughter without her parents consent – it is criminal!

• Celeste March 3, 2016 at 1:34 pm

An 18 year old is officially an adult. The MAN here is above 18. Whether they’ve been dating or not are mere speculations, and even if, it doesn’t still make him right. He abducted, raped and married a 13 year old girl – that is the crime here, don’t twist issues!

• Bubu March 2, 2016 at 8:30 am

Pleas let’s #Pray4Ese. I said it yesterday. Her mind will be totally disorganised.

Please a quick one, how do I cut out a part of a chat or like thr way pple cut out the comments part on instagram, is there an app that is used or how is it done, Someone should help me out biko!!

• Bleesing March 2, 2016 at 11:00 am

you screenshot it if you are using Android

power button and volume Up

• Tee March 2, 2016 at 8:33 am

My heart is broken watching this. God please heal this child. I sincerely pray that people in the right quarters will arise to help this girl come back to herself. She needs all the medical, emotional, social, psychological and spiritual help she can get.

• o March 2, 2016 at 8:38 am

My goodness….hmm. One can never be too careful. In my house at a point the aboki (security guy) brought like 5 of his friends to be sleeping in the compound at night and bathing in the morning before going out to do whatever they do during the day. Quickly I called my landlady n complained because I have a young daughter plus I myself didn’t feel safe. One just has to shield n protect children as much as possible. God help us… I pray Ese gets all the support she needs.

• keke driver March 2, 2016 at 8:39 am

I hope the people involved in this wahala won’t go scot free, isn’t it high time we gave these Hausa guys space?

• TotallyUnrelated March 2, 2016 at 8:54 am

So BN, according to a story I just read on tmz, Ciara is in Africa visiting underprivileged children… you might want to check it out

• I just waka come… March 2, 2016 at 9:14 am

@totally unrelated You can’t be this stupid in 2016? We are talking of important things.
      Why don’t you carry a microphone and tambourine and go’ check it out’ yourself?

I pray that when you are going through really difficult times people will also dismiss your plight and go watch Telemundo, twat!

• TotallyUnrelated March 2, 2016 at 12:29 pm

@I just waka come… Relax ok, no need for voilence, I’m sorry i hurt you with my post. May you be blessed beyond measure….xoxo

• Shomawale March 2, 2016 at 9:06 am

Nigerians Always want pray. “Pray pray Pray.”

-Pray for the corrupt church minister

-Pray for the corrupt jihadist president

-Pray for poverty

-Pray for Egusi Soup

-Pray for coco yam soup

-Pray for the weather

-Pray for praying

-Pray for the drunk man lying on the road almost getting ran over

-Pray pray Pray!!!’

THEN They Go and Do stuff like Dis!

Do u know what hypocrisy syndrome means! Or this be easier…do u know why the Jewish religion was expelled …. ?!

God Pray For You!

• emmy March 2, 2016 at 4:37 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with praying.
      If the so called praying people go ahead to do stuff like this, then they are deceiving themselves.
      stop worrying about what they do o; you’ll give yourself migraine

• Mallama March 2, 2016 at 9:12 am

Its just unfortunate this happened to her but that doesn’t mean all mallams/abokis you see are bad. Lets just pray she gets better.

• nawa March 2, 2016 at 9:34 am

…why is she insisting the yellow guy should come along with her? …plus the fluent hausa? …this story is confusing ooh.

• Bey March 2, 2016 at 9:52 am

Real Stockholm syndrome at hand…………… the parents really need to watch this girl 24/7.
    I see this girl running away back to kano.
    Most importantly she shldnt be doing any type of hawking while being at home.
    She needs a scholarship to an all girls catholic school or smthn of that nature, dis girl needs to be re-orientated with Christ, but most importantly needs a lot of parental love.
    I wish her well.

• Spicy March 2, 2016 at 10:32 am

Pardon me as I haven’t been following this story intently..However has anyone considered maybe this little girl fell in love/like with this guy and really did elope to kano with him and from the clip above it looks like she is now upset about being separated from him? It’s Not the first time a young girl has fallen for an older man’s wiles.

• Iris March 2, 2016 at 2:19 pm

I’m trying my best to stay calm after reading this comment. Even if she fell in love with him -which I doubt – he should have said NO like I am sure you would expect a grown man or woman to do if YOUR child ‘fell in love’ with such a person. I’ll bet anything she has Stockholm’s right now which isn’t surprising. It is likely the same thing with the Chibok girls at this point.

• Spicy March 2, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Thank you for staying calm. I’m sorry but I’m tired of people throwing around the word Stockholm syndrome anyhow and diagnosing for every thing when it could simply be as it is presented….In this case it appears to me this young girl fell for an older man and ran away with him because she knew her parents wouldn’t approve. Now she’s upset she’s being separated from him. Note that i never said he is right for allowing this to happen, as a matured individual he should have done the right thing and said NO but when his religion or culture allows him the right to do this then isnt that the problem and shouldnt we be facing the root cause of this problem? We should be teaching these men that it’s unacceptable to be with an underage child as well as teaching young kids that they are not emotionally or physically ready for such a relationship at that age. Ignorance, illiteracy and cultural/religious influences plays a massive part in this issue.

• Tolu March 2, 2016 at 10:33 am

How is it that ese is so fluent in hausa? She is also speaking english with an hausa accent. Na wa ooooo. All this tori sef

• M& March 2, 2016 at 10:58 am

I do not believe the girl was ‘abducted’. I believe she followed the guy, by choice. I think it is a case of “elope-ment”. The guy was wrong to let her follow him back to Kano, knowing that she is under-aged and vulnerable, and without the consent of her parents. I think the girl wants to stay with the guy, and I think now that she has been returned, she may try to run off again…so they should hold her tight.
    I know of a child, now also 14 years old, who runs away from home constantly to meet men, sometimes for months at a time while the family is thrown into panic. And she’s been doing this for the past 3 or 4 years. After some time they bring her back, then she runs off again, abandoning her schooling. The police had to be involved recently when one of the men she was running off to meet was discovered.
    I believe the root of the problem lies with the family. Parents should be close to their children especially during teenage (though this relationship should be built before this age), know their emotional state and be there to advise them with love, so they can pull through. During teenage many children do not like their parents and want to get as far away from home as possible, it’s all part of the transition period…from childhood to adulthood…and gaining independence. Only time, growth and maturity can cure this. Also they go through so many emotional rollercoasters, learning about love, falling in love for the first time, etc. There should be vigilance on the part of parents, understanding and emotional support for children at this time. Its the only way to get them to value and take our advice.

• anon! March 2, 2016 at 11:30 am

Whether she eloped or not is irrelevant, the case here is an older man felt it was right to take an under aged child with him and felt there was nothing wrong, and if you don’t see anything wrong with that then there is a problem.

• Momoki March 5, 2016 at 12:58 pm

I’m happy that the benefit of time has proved your all shades of foolish theory WRONG!

• Anon today March 2, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Sad! Like FFK said, it’s slavery, rape, abduction, paedophilia.. all in one.. I’m glad the girl’s liberation has started. From Aisha back to Ese, this might take a while.
    Meanwhile, I have a friend, northerner, nice guy oh, honest guy, speaks only Hausa and English, wants to marry an Igbo girl (adult), really likes her. He told me his malam had promised to make him speak Igbo as fluently as any other Igbo man in record time whenever he’s ready for the malam to commence the work. He sounded pretty confident. I told him I look forward to that day. After all, Criss Angel’s mindfreak is one of my favourite shows on tv. Lol.
    He has told me some other crazy, incredible stories of what his malam has done or can do. So crazy you might think I’m not serious if I type them here.
    I’m not saying I’m sure Ese was ‘jazzed’ in similar fashion. But, what cannot happen? I hope she recognises her family when they meet.
    Stories of juju/jazz / hypnosis are not exclusive to nollywood. Like they say- truth is stranger than fiction.

• random March 3, 2016 at 7:50 am

Anon today…..Please don’t be quoting FFK …it completely ruins the integrity of your argument. He is not a good example himself and a pot calling kettle black.

We live in a very know it all, judgmental and heavily tribalistic and spiritually biased society.

Only God knows what truly transpired here……there was definitely highly irresponsible behavior by all adults involved in sheltering or abducting this child but making all these speculations and allegations based on random and unclear eye witness accounts makes many of the comments irresponsible as well.

Many self righteous holier than the pope sympathetists who are not adding value but making wild fire speculations to this delicate story. Characteristics of gossiping…talk talk and speculate with no added value.

Glad she has been rescued and hopefully she will resolve all the conflicting issues in her life with assistance from the appropriate professionals.

• Deezzer March 2, 2016 at 2:55 pm

This is not the Ese Oyuru girl I believe…. this is another story entirely that was mixed up or purposely remade for commercial purposes by Premium Times. Please watch the Vid to the end, the production date was 2014….

These Aboki Premium Times(an Hausa run media outfit) would be also part of the sabotage group who do not want to let the innocent girl be freed. They want to make it look as if Ese is not ready or willing to go again….

BN Readers, read beyond the pictures!!!

• Mskim March 2, 2016 at 5:28 pm

This is all just very unfortunate….
    but dont forget. these are kids. The ‘man’ himself is an 18 year old boy.
    i do agree with ‘AW’ .. her accuracy with hausa is astonishing, I also read in the papers that they had been dating for 2 years before all this happened.
    where were her parents when all this was going down?

• Celeste March 3, 2016 at 1:35 pm

An 18 year old is officially an adult. The MAN here is above 18. Whether they’ve been dating or not are mere speculations, and even if, it doesn’t still make him right. He abducted, raped and married a 13 year old girl – that is the crime here, don’t twist facts!

• nna March 2, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Wonders shall never end. Chai, my country is really a jungle.

• mulikat March 2, 2016 at 9:10 pm

she said not fine, maybe pregant @ 14 will be mother God.

• Carla March 3, 2016 at 5:19 am

I started living in the North since 2007 and believe u me Ese was hypnotized.
    Secondly, @AnonToday, ur friend is not lying I have seen a case of a lady who never spoke hausa speak fluently in three days after abduction for three days in Katsina. I don’t know how they do it but it’s possible, very possible. I hope/pray Ese will be well but as far as I knew back then Ngozi didn’t remember who she was. It’s sad how the authorities allowed this linger for so long.
    I pray she recovers from the atrocities that was committed against her and that Yinusa be made to pay for his crimes.
    This for me is heart wrenching.

• Momoki March 5, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Carla, it’s called ‘Mind Control’. Read up MLK programming if you’re interested.

• Momoki March 5, 2016 at 1:02 pm

I meant MK programming…

• nnenne March 3, 2016 at 5:25 am

Why is this girl’s face, a minor , not covered, while the adult offender is protected?
    No one has even seen his face!

The media has ruined this girl’s life by showing her face.
    She is a minor, for crying out loud!
    Only in Nigeria.

• Celeste March 3, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Here in Nigeria, the reverse is the case: A victim of statutory rape is flaunted and plastered all over the media, while the adult offender is protected and shielded when he should be the one out in the media – this country is so wrong on many sides!