Naija Single Girl: How I Feel About BellaNaija Commenters

dreamstime_s_46186482

When I think BellaNaija audience, I imagine a group of ladies listening to Beyonce’s pretty hurts on their headset as they surf through the internet on their Macbook.
I imagine a group of men and women listening to ‘jazz’ or ‘country music’ as they jog along Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge in the mornings.
I imagine a lady hugging a mannequin crested with ‘My Imperfections & scars’ first thing in the morning before having a breakfast of pure lemon smoothie.
I imagine a lady who eats half egg  and soul food for breakfast, orbit chewing gum for brunch, a slice of pizza for lunch and 4 sips of white wine for dinner.
I imagine them seated in Silverbird theatre and reading the contents of Bella Naija from the big screen. People at the front row include the likes of Toke Makinwa, OC Ukeje, Chimamanda, Banky W etc etc
I imagine them reading the features column in British accent and having their thoughts in American accent.

Bella Naija audience appear like they roll with the same class of people & I keep wondering why I forgot to add BN comment section as no 26 on my 25 places to meet a rich husband in Lagos.
For instance if the caption of a post reads “George Tinubu Fashola weds Damilola Tonto Obanikoro, the comment section takes the following formats.

“Really? No wonder I saw Fred Agbaje, the younger brother of Tinibu at Walmarts on Saturday”
“Awww…so happy for Tonto. Tonto if you are reading this say hi to Kiki, Bimbo and Eku. We should have lunch sometime”
“Coventry Class of 2012 rocks. Already getting ready for Tonto’s bridal shower!!!”
(They even hate with class e.g below)
“The gigolo George finally gets hitched? Oh well!”
“I’m happy Tonto embraced her scars and accepted George proposal.”

Other upper class behavior they exhibit include;
They all speak a foreign language or 5.
The ladies are advocates of TeamNatural.
They grew up in Aberdeen and they vacation at Seychelles every year.
They don’t can’t about watching 30-min Vlogs as data izz not a problem.
They are mostly lawyers, consultants and senior business development executives.
They are happily married or happily single.
They are passionate about making a difference in a small African community in Rwanda or Ajah.
Their favorite motivational topic is self-love.
Irrespective of their ages, they refer to their fathers as ‘daddddy’ or ‘daddddd’
They are usually s3xually active or celibate for 20 years and counting. No in-betweens.

Examples of their most commonly used words are tacky, ugh, damn, 4c, Aberdeen, Yale, beau, my scars, spot on, go girl, yummy, yawns, whatever, seriously and BASICALLY!

Actual comments extracted from the website.

Nigerians need to wake up. We worship titles and hinder creativity. I grew up in Ekiti state. I know a lot of Harvard, MIT, Yale trained PhDs and professors who could not put a roof on their heads while my father’s friend, a carpenter who specialized in office upholstery had beautiful mansions. I am sure this groom to be is university trained.

Basically, you are right in your assertion- human beings will make time for the things they feel are important. They will also make time for the things they understand are non-negotiable to the people they feel are important.

I’m sorry but do women in Nigeria not know anything about “strapless bras”? It is quite irritating to see many of them wear see through/net/chord lace with bra straps showing. Quite tacky…geez.

My hair is 4c, so I know this isn’t 4c. She’s most likely 4a or 4b, it’s a lot more manageable than 4c.

I have never understood why alot of Nigerian schools like to shove Christianity down ppls throat… especially private schools..

Natural hair is so lovely but the sad thing is most ladies don’t know how to take care of it. One thing that gets me pissed is the amount of money spent in buying natural hair care products. All we need to take care of our natural mane is in our kitchen.

My face the whole time

My face every time I am reading comments on BN

Samples of post titles that rakes the highest comments.

Standing tall against Acne, Vaginismus, obesity and Nigerian men. 189 comments

Isio Knows Better: Because I am a woman, and because I know I can! 142 comments.

AsoEbiBella Edition 500. 62 comments

Accepting and learning to love my birthmark scar at 26. 85 comments

Mai Atafo: I am a feminist, so? 101 comments

My super daddy: Receiving an apartment at Lekki as birthday gift. 170 comments

Learning to love myself in the UK despite a disappointing CGPA of 4.82. 121 comments

Tiwa Savage opens up about her son being able to walk at three months. 94 comments.

Overcoming Tunde. 266 comments
(Forgive my humour but I have never met a Tunde that is not promiscuous. Lol)

All the luxury details in Prince Abayomi and Toke Fregzz Wedding. 91 comments

Learning to survive while earning N500,000 peanuts. 103 comments

And then whenever you settle to read comments, a dictionary would come in handy or else you are going to finish with a headache.

Title sample of posts with little or no comments. In cases where there is only one comment, it comes from a Nigerian internet virus known as Ed Dreamz.

Popular Akwa-Ibom witch machetes husband in broad daylight. 2 comments

Duncan mighty releases chop your port harcourt money remix featuring Bracket. 3 comments

Water Tanker falls ontop Gala seller head at Abule Egba bridge. 0 comments

YABATECH students protests against school fees. 1 comment.

Ekene Dii Chukwu motors slashes bus fares by N650. 2 comments.

Darling Yaki releases new brand of synthetic wigs. 0 comments.

Third Buhari trekker finally arrives Abuja after 40 days and 40 nights. 1 comment.

The price of garri rises along with the dollar. 6 comments.

Ain’t nobody got time.

LIB Commenters and SDK Commenters, see you next week!

***

This article was originally published on NaijaSingleGirl.com – it has been re-published here with the author’s permission.

Follow the fun! Go to Naija Single Girl’s blog for more hilarious posts.

To read her post on Linda Ikeji Blog’s commenters, click here.To read her post on SDK blog commenters, click here.

For more posts from Naija Single Girl on BellaNaija, click here.

151 Comments on Naija Single Girl: How I Feel About BellaNaija Commenters
  • Noname March 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm

LWKM. @I have never met a Tunde that is not promiscuous. Pastor Tunde Bakare nko. Kai you dey wicked @Nigerian internet virus known as Ed Dreamz. Abeg oh leave am for us the guy dey hilarious.

• Fani March 8, 2016 at 3:33 pm

That was before the site became more mainstream, now the crowd here includes a few posh people but majority are the same crowd on the other blogs. The day I realised the people here are not as upper class as one would think is when majority proudly admitted they buy fake designer products. Bella lost most of its posh readers when it went more mainstream which business wise is not a bad thing. More people posh or not means
      more advertising

• Me March 8, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Linda ikeji’ was the funniest, I didn’t find the SDK one funny though. Maybe because I’m one of the typical upper class Bella naija commenters that lives abroad, that doesn’t read SDKs blog lool.

• Amaka March 8, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Very funny. The Akwa ibom witches machetes husband. ..hahaha.

• Ifeoma March 8, 2016 at 3:02 pm

LMAO she is actually right! BN commenters are kind of stuck up but then thats what makes them classy. Good one NaijaSingleGirl

• Que March 9, 2016 at 2:11 pm

How does stuck up = classy???? Stuck up = ill mannered adult and there’s nothing classy about that

• Favy March 8, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Hahaha, this is so true.

• the other ebere March 8, 2016 at 3:12 pm

#blankface I forgot to laugh.

• Mr. Egghead March 8, 2016 at 3:13 pm

“The Nigerian Man and his controlling overbearing mentality – 1000 comments”

• Cindy March 8, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Lol, I read this on her blog last week. I just read the one she did about SDK’s BVNs too. The most hilarious so far?????
    I’ve been following NSG for over a year now. I don’t always agree with her but I can relate with her struggles. Luff ma girl, I see her going places on this naija blogsphere???

• honey omo lekki March 8, 2016 at 4:38 pm

what does the BVN they use on SDK mean?

• Cindy March 8, 2016 at 5:10 pm

I think it means “blog visitor’s narrative”. ‘N’ could mean something else. Not sure.

• lily March 9, 2016 at 10:38 am

It means blog vistor (just BV)…But during the infamous BVN registration by banks, mischevious pple just converted it to BVN too.

• ty June 17, 2016 at 3:04 am

Blog vistors

• Amaka March 8, 2016 at 5:10 pm

SDK commenters writeup was the funniest. I read everything and laughed almost through out.

• nwanyi na aga aga March 9, 2016 at 2:22 pm

I swear the SDK own was the funniest. I never comment there but she was so apt, that I shed tears laughing..Chai! this girl na cray cray person shaa

• Lol March 8, 2016 at 3:22 pm

This shit is bogus.

That doesn’t describe BN commenters at all.

• TA March 8, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Hey! Relax. It is a light hearted article. 🙂

• Bey March 8, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Lolllll

• Dee March 8, 2016 at 3:27 pm

You know its funny that I like to say I don’t like elitists, but I have started to observe such traits in myself, and one example is definitely my preference for BN over LIB and the stelladimorkus (I hope I didn’t butcher the name).
    Jeez, there is just something classy about BN and its commenters, that I don’t appreciate about the other blogs, so I don’t go there. Perhaps, I should work to make myself more comfortable with the other blogs too.

• Bleh March 8, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Perhaps you should swap the word ‘elitist’ with ‘pretentious ‘?

• Olu March 8, 2016 at 5:51 pm

EPIC!!!!!!!!! chop knuckleeeee

• O March 8, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Big grin…

• Engoz March 8, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Some of you are so insecure, it is unbelievable.

• Doxa March 9, 2016 at 12:20 pm

You should try thenakedconvos commenters. If you are not sure of yourself, you will have inferiority complex.

• Fulfilledlaidy March 8, 2016 at 3:28 pm

I couldn’t stop laughing ?. Dear writer, it seems you are in my head. One of the reasons I hardly comment on BN, almost everyone seems to be living and schooling abroad. Each I time I read comments, the vibe I get is people who feel they are posh and know better. I mean almost every one has a good job, drives nice cars, shop in designers stores etc. To me they are just not real, I could be wrong though.

• Busarni March 8, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Madam fulfilled; you are very wrong. Real recognize real. We don’t currrrrr…..lol.
      Professional minds drop comments here and you can learn a thing or two about other issues. There is nothing elitist about that; if I have ever bragged about my accomplishments on BN; I really don’t regret it darling.
      When you work work hard ; it’s only fair you ball hard. I love my BN fam.

• St.Yves March 9, 2016 at 9:48 am

Spot on. The reason why I visit BN more often than other blogs is because of the comments. It irritates me to see a topical issue and someone just says..”end time” or “who he help (written as epp)”. I also hate to read where women clamour for another woman’s dirty laundry to be spread in public. Naahhh! I love me some BN!

• Engoz March 8, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I’ve always had the intention of writing a post on what constitutes as being real in the Nigerian lingo. I find that until you garnish every single word with pidgin English, always have a louder voice than average to exemplify your ‘nigerianness’, have a unidirectional and conventional thought on social issues will the Nigerian consider you real. All these qualities you typically see in today’s ‘real Nigerian entertainer’s. Unfortunately, some of us were not influenced by the Tufaces’, Psquare or Davidos. We were infact influenced by the Wole Soyinka’s in the 80s and 90s, the Ego Boyo’s in the entertainment scene, and thankfully in our generation we have a Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It is not a front we are trying to pull off, we just have an upbringing that prioritizes on certain etiquette. And no I’m not rich nor have a dad in politics sucking Nigeria dry, I don’t know anyone in Yale, lol, would love to travel to Seychelles, though. We need to stop equating realness to being as crass as you can imagine in polite society. When I think real Nigerian, I think Chimamanda, Wole Soyinka.

• St.Yves March 9, 2016 at 9:53 am

@Engoz, wish I could like your comment over and over again.

• 4evaphoenix March 11, 2016 at 11:16 pm

I’m sorta kinda too lazy to find the best words to describe how I feel about this comment…but trust me when I say, that I was compelled to say SOMETHING really says it all.
        I’m a long time visitor (read ‘lurker’) of BN and a super lazy commenter. But this comment is EVERYTHING!!!

• Nahum March 8, 2016 at 5:04 pm

WAIT!!!! Auntie no make me off earring for you! So, because I have a good job and I drive a car, I am not real???? Who the hell do you think you are to pass such unfair judgement on us? I am as real and you are so get the hell over your self and your stupid pity party. Don’t you dare try to diminish me, I have my cross as well, I have my burdens so don’t you dare think you know about life more than I do.

• Bey March 8, 2016 at 8:40 pm

@Nahum, honey don’t bust an artery. It’s not that serious, it’s just a blog.

• Bey March 8, 2016 at 8:42 pm

*burst

• Oh sigh! March 8, 2016 at 9:23 pm

You really lack understanding and comprehension. Mehn! I don’t even know where to start. SHE DID NOT SAY PEOPLE THAT HAVE GOOD JOBS AND DRIVE NICE CARS ARE NOT REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my goodness! She doesn’t even know or care about you! She meant that everybody commenting on BN for some reason always schools or schooled abroad, has a great job, drives a nice car(s), owns a posh apartment, flat or building and the crowning one to add to her list, the ladies are always self made and independent, not wanting a man to define them, always super hardworking, got a job immediately after they finish school, have the best spouse/fiancé because she’s so good and he respects her some much because she carries herself spectacularly. None of them stay with or have cheating husbands/bfs, nobody is a side chick etc.She didn’t mean some people who comment don’t have great lives, she meant that it’s either some people are lying just to fit or some are delusional about how great their lives are! Mehn, this lady you really got to chill, The same goes for the commenters that attacked her.

She’s actually very correct. You don’t need special data plan to access BN, so if other “razz” people have access to other blogs, they can also access BN’s, so why is it that all or most BN Commenters all happen to be living great lives. There’s never anybody in search of a job on BN, never anybody looking up to God and waiting for a spouse, never anybody waiting for an interview and hustling in Nigeria. Every commenter happened to have schooled abroad, there’s never anybody on BN that jumps buses, not one is worried about something, the women are always working mothers, every girl in BN has been in awesome and not abusive relationships. Anytime a commenter deviates from this BS norm, they get the most replies and hate. That’s why she stopped commenting because she does not fit into the lives of BN commenters, not because she thinks people who actually have all these are not real!

• Ready March 9, 2016 at 11:15 am

@Ohsigh

Your last paragraph is wrong. BN Weddings posts are always filled with tappers and ‘Baba God, your daughter is waiting’. There are Dear Aunty Bella posts with people searching for jobs and boos. Just wanted to clarify.

• Que March 9, 2016 at 2:23 pm

@Oh sigh…….. hold up….!!! Do we read the same BN at all?.?? Abi ur own is published in Mars……

You men No BN reader ever agonises about anything,…… you must be reading some4hing else not BN…..cos this is the same BN where I personally got help from a stranger for just ranting out some personal issues…… it rains rants from time to time, dont you dare try to dehumanize us, in a bid to sound correct…please speak truth or dont speak at all.

Ahn ahn you didnt even fear Aunty Bella!!!

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 11, 2016 at 12:33 am

Nah,,, @ Bey, I prefer “bust”… that’s keeping it real-EST. ?
        (since all man go need to dey nack broken engleeesh, among others, to rep Naija properly…)

• Fulfilledlaidy March 8, 2016 at 3:34 pm

I couldn’t stop laughing ?. Dear writer, it seems you are in my head. One of the reasons I hardly comment on BN, almost everyone seems to be living and schooling abroad. Each time I read comments, the vibe I get is people who feel they are posh and know better. I mean almost every one has a good job, drive nice cars, shop in designers stores etc. To me they are just not real, I could be wrong though. ?

• ….. March 8, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Shey you call your self fulfilled… ehn!!!…the imaginary BN Commenters that shop in designer stores should not bother you from commenting na

• chichi March 8, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Ha ha ha! you are wrong, @fulfilledlaidy, I have lived abroad all my life and I don’t drive a car or shop in designer stores and I’m self employed, So by Nigerian standards I’m probably not doing much. But in the end its a choice how I live. ps people say i sound posh but I far from look it. Point is everyone is sooooo complexed as human beings that we can’t get a pure sense of someone from their comments, even if they tell us who they are it could all be a lie. lol. And I sometimes comment in pidgin but its all for fun, in real life I can barely speak it.

• fleur March 9, 2016 at 1:49 pm

What is not around you is unimaginable to you and therefore unreal. Don’t feel bad.

• Briishqueen March 8, 2016 at 3:36 pm

I had a good laugh and funny enough, I just read this from her blog. Bellanaija readers be classy aka stuck up for years… chewing gum for brunch thou… lol

• Ivy March 8, 2016 at 3:43 pm

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Yes, a thousand times yes.

• beauty March 8, 2016 at 3:47 pm

BN readers and commenters are classy people, we practice elitism because we are lady-like and complete gentlemen *flips hair and walks away while rotating bumbum*

• Mr. Egghead March 8, 2016 at 4:14 pm

*holds bumbum to stop it from rotating*

in best British accent – “Sorry Ma’am, i do believe your derriere has run amok”

• Pipi March 8, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Hahahah this is what she’s talking about only on bella naija will they call bum bum derrière! Hilarious bunch

• Suwa March 8, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Mr Egghead haff kill me o! Hahahahahahahahehehehehehehohohohoho

• Nahum March 8, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Lol, just had a mental flash… You are silly lol

• O March 8, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Sigh! 🙂

• Sane March 9, 2016 at 9:02 am

J’taime. Please marry me if only you are male though

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 11, 2016 at 12:38 am

???? And in my mind’s eye, I saw this actually play out… ???

• Sense of humour to badt March 8, 2016 at 3:48 pm

Your sense of humor girl!!!!…..its not from here. Well done, nice write up

• nikky March 8, 2016 at 3:57 pm

You are giving Bellanaigerians too much hype. You make us out like we are some kind of deep intellectual hipsters who live or have been abroad. To some extent maybe it’s true. We cannot compare the vile comments on nijapals and Linda Ikeji’s to the substantive back and forth we have on this blog, and for that reason only I always come back.

• Hehe March 8, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Lmao, i give that face all the time on Bella, we dont care about real life problems on here

• ….. March 8, 2016 at 4:05 pm

She kinda missed the mark and sorta over did it, we are def not like this..who is interested in making a difference in Rwanda… biko..
    BellaNaija Commenters are sensible, real and definitely not desperate.. 3 word description would have saved this epistle

• T March 8, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Hahahahahahaha! This is so weirdly accurate! BN commenters are like the Aristocrats of blog commenters. You wanna comment here?better be armed with your facts…(and your correct grammar too!)stupidity will not be excused. ‘Gbagauns’ will be punished. Unintelligent theories will be ripped apart.

But seriously,in comparison to other blogs,i love the commenters here.They’re actually warm and friendly.(Yea,you might get a little negativity once in a while,but I can say i’ve learnt a lot in the comments section of BN.The comments are educative ,funny too and you can actually read the comments without getting your brain into a cramp because of grammatical errors.

P.S: i would really love to meet people here!shallat to carlifoniabawler,MsSociallyAwkward,Mrs chidukune,.there used to be this sweet guy on here(*covers face*)i can’t remember his moniker.i think carlifoniabawler and MsSociallyAwkward know him.

• Mekus March 8, 2016 at 6:18 pm

@T, that sweet guy must be Iyke!
      Don’t let Mz_Socially awkward catch you!

• Koffie March 8, 2016 at 4:11 pm

BN, could you include the link to each of the posts she referenced? I want to read the one that called 500k peanuts. Lord, I want to be able to call 500k peanut/chicken change very soon too…

• Tell me March 8, 2016 at 9:07 pm

She made it up! ahah you believe anything written is real yea?

• Nne March 8, 2016 at 4:12 pm

This seems to come from a place of derision. The same place that produced the comments on students studying abroad earlier on. People from money and higher social classes are people. I’ve never observed any such pretentiousness on this blog. I love coming here and I look forward to showing my white and Asian friends; how we REALLY are as modern, educated Nigerians. Maybe you’ll call this a joke, but tiny drops make up an ocean eg how a few Twitter jokes with lots of RTs have birthed the idea of the Yoruba demon.
    Maybe we should tell our teachers to teach us in pidgin and tell our parents not to send us abroad and denounce our gender rights and perm our hair and pretend not to know our family friends because they have “popular” last names. Interesting for Nigerians who are too busy trying to rise above the problem (become wealthy and well connected with foreign property and luxury goods) are often the first to bash those already privileged.
    Too much innuendo to be a joke here, don’t pretend like you don’t know what I mean guys. Sorry to be a killjoy.

• Haha ! March 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Gotta love BN . As you guys have said we can all see the difference between her and LIB. Must start following this girls work now !

• Jagbajantis March 8, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Haha. Funny post, but like every generalization it is not indicative of all the readers/commenters of the BN site. There are a silent majority who only drop comments once in a while or do so under different monikers (this dude right here).

Of course there are those who live or project a double life on this website. That is another subject for another day.

I find that while there are many shallow comments, the cream rises to the top. For me, Socially Awkward, ThatGidi Girl, Elleris Ellemandi (sic) , Strit Kredibility and California Brawlar are my favorite contributors. Bruno drops silent gems from time to time, though sometimes it gets lost in translation/transmission and every other trans there is (pun intended).

• Mercy March 8, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I laugh wella. Commenters in this blog no dey add flavor for their comments. Most times I just dey do look and pass.

• Analyst March 8, 2016 at 4:28 pm

My favourite BN commenters in no particular order – @whocares – the girl is funny as heck and is the type I would love to be friends with. We can goat for daaaaaaays. She also has a lot of sense and wit. @californiabawlar also falls in the same category. My only negative, they comment way too much, like girls that seem like fun shouldn’t be spending that much time on a computer or phone. They should be out having fun like the image many of us have of them.
    @Mama Saffron previously known as @jane public – she has sense for daaaaaaays. Geez, yes I am using geez lol. When I see her comment I just take my time and read. She comes across as that no BS friend many of us will like to have who will give it to you straight and you can rely on her advice. In my head, I see her as a life coach. She doesn’t comment too often too, so her comments are one you look forward to. Negatives: you can tell she’s the classic BN commenter Naija single girl talked about. Coconut (white inside black outside), Upper class, Private boarding school educated, over travelled, oyinbo husband with plenty money and over confident. She tries to slum it down a little with the rest of us by throwing in some naija slangs but that’s probably the only Nigerian part of her.
    @Bruno – as annoying as he is, you can tell BN is the only outlet for the craze in his mind, so reading his comments is like watching a social experiment plus he is the closest I have ever gotten to a gay Nigerian.
    @MsSociallyAkward – another commenter with plenty of sense. In my head she is the big sister I wish I had and because I was raised in port harcourt like her, I feel like we will get along very well. I miss her comments now, she was the old @whocares. Now we don’t see her as much again. Come back we miss you.
    @ATL’s finest – she is a hoot and a half. I like that she doesn’t take herself too seriously and you can’t predict how she will react to a post. Today she makes sense, tomorrow she is funny, the day after her comment doesn’t make any sense like it will be all over the place. @Idak falls into the same category too. I wonder where he is now.
    Me sef don write article. Maybe someone should profile specific BN comments and write as a post, or BN you can fit copy my comment and make it one. Oya over to the BN family. Who are your favourite commenters and why

• ramat March 8, 2016 at 5:08 pm

girrrlll….. I think YOU also spend WAY too much time on here if you notice all these people. lol. *wink

• Naijasinglegirl March 9, 2016 at 7:18 am

I guess so. 🙂

• TA March 8, 2016 at 10:58 pm

@ Analyst, I have been planning on writing an article profiling the diverse personas behind the comments on Bella Naija but I keep procrastinating. Someday, soon…

• MIA March 8, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Well I am always here for the comments. it is always constructive. I visit LIB but never read the comments. SDKs blog I read the comment sometimes but BN I always read comments. I read and leave comment on TNC as well.

• UCEE March 8, 2016 at 4:53 pm

I just couldnt stop laughing. This girl is so hilarious. Her sense of humour is so out of this world joor.

• Exotique March 8, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Who is NaijaSingleGirl an why am I just meetingi her? Lol. You just made my evening. I love BN though. One blog you can see objective, factual and informative comments. Visited LIB and SDK once and that was it

• poison ivy March 8, 2016 at 5:24 pm

True writer, so true.
    My observation is, BNer’s get plenty team natural hair, career women who act like they don’t need a man but quick to turn an engagement /wedding post into a prayer request for boo.
    Then there’s the self righteous lot (always eager to point out how long they’ve been celibate or the fact that they had their 1st kiss as husband and wife)#yimu!!
    And then the “Clever clogs”……..they talk too much.
    Fake designer wear detectors/ “Joan rivers”, they are like bees on every red carpet post, stating miss and falls of our dear celebrities. (you people should leave leave Ini Edo and rukky alone oooo).
    Yansh openers, no plenty for here…….yansh opening is SDK thing.
    And then, there’s Ed dreamz with his excessive use of the word “No doubt”. One thing I like about him, is the fact that he sees beauty in everything, strong spirit that one.

• Tomma March 8, 2016 at 5:26 pm

I do not agree we are pretentious………the comments on Bellanaija are straight to the point, deep (sometimes) and insightful……we say it as we see it…….i use to get that from Linda Ikeji’s until she started the giveaway (which is a commendable act)…unfortunately it brought ‘characters’ out of the woodwork that just marched the blog naked to Oke-arin market……

• Nahum March 8, 2016 at 7:22 pm

We are not pretentious, don’t mind them

• Koffie March 8, 2016 at 5:27 pm

LOL, I followed the link to read her post on SDK’s commenters and it was hilarious even though I’ve never visited SDK. Loads of weird terms (BVN, BVs, etc) but super funny. Naijasinglegirl might have gone overboard on BN commenters sha, I mean I’ve been on this website since 2011 ish and I didn’t find my ‘category’ in the post.
    BN folks are good peoples jo: @BleedBlue has a heart of gold and in her words, she truly bleeds blue. @Whocares is very funny and I scan comments for her take on posts, she’s the type that will literally make you laugh out loud. Something of an agbero mixed with fine wine. @CarlifoniaBawler, another funny and oh-so witty commenter. She doesn’t try hard to appear funny, she just is. And every once in a while, she casually opens up about herself. She’s what Max from 2 Broke Girls would be if Max were Yoruba; half-drunk most the time but oh well.
    @Tosin, her name should be synonymous with ‘mystery’. Who would have known Tosin writes amazingly? Stumbled on her books and I was like Uh? And she blogs maths, who blogs mathematics fa? I feel like I can bet my March salary on Tosin taking the GMAT without preparing and she’d score high. Bless us with more gists of your polygamous relationship(s) jare and we’d have @whocares analyse for us.
    @MzSociallyawkward, I remember rooting for her and Idak in my head years back but it would seem Idak is married and is back here under another name. I imagine she’s very prim and proper but sometimes, her PH humour comes out to play.

• Frosh March 8, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Pls can you add the link to tosins blog or where to find her books. Thanks

• The special one March 8, 2016 at 9:09 pm

lifelib.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1 that’s the link to her blog. Some of her books can be found on Amazon, search author: Tosin Otitoju.

Tosin na crazy girl but you have to accept her and her whole package ???

• Koffie March 9, 2016 at 9:38 am

Tosin has 5 blogs and the one posted by ‘the special one’ is one of them I think. You’d find her books on Amazon.
        Tosin, come and pay us for this marketing we’re doing for you

• Ijebujesha March 8, 2016 at 5:37 pm

I am elites-hating and I kinda noticed that on this site. I never allow any rubbish elite to intimidate me so I stick on to this site. Aint going nowhere.

• Theurbanegirl March 8, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Omg LOOOL ??

• too true March 8, 2016 at 6:10 pm

hahahahaha…..too true!! i only recently started reading comments on this blog and trust me, the difference is clear. Aint got no time to mingle with razz and illiterate souls on other blogs!!!

• Jasmine March 8, 2016 at 9:38 pm

So people who prefer other blogs to BN are razz and illiterate souls? Wow!!! I can see the so called elite group. BN you have the most pretentious commenters ever. I even prefer laila’s commenters.

• Ami March 8, 2016 at 6:26 pm

I particularly love the fact that I can read comments here without crying lol!! Indeed there are more elites here. There are a lot of people studying abroad here due to the boredom of ‘the abroad’ and it’s like the best way to be in touch with home. I feel like I’m in Lagos on this blog.

• D March 8, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Kikikikikikikiki……………….Don’t make my tea pass the wrong pipe dude! lmao to think i read it in British English..silly me. Boy you is Cray!

• D March 8, 2016 at 6:31 pm

@Mr egghead.

• Ada March 8, 2016 at 6:41 pm

All I can say is I love whoever put this article together. Come and take a kiss. My goodness,i haven’t laughed so hard in a while.

• ekaette March 8, 2016 at 6:46 pm

I sense Bella Naija commenters are not happy with NSG’s analysis at all!! I can just imagine all behind their screens twinking their noses and tutting ‘How dare she call us posh?’ All my elocution lessons and all I get is this riduculous analysis…….? Oh dear!!

• ekaette March 8, 2016 at 6:46 pm

On the other hand, NSG – I love the article! C’est tres bien!

• nwanyi na aga aga March 9, 2016 at 2:41 pm

hahahahahaha @ all my elocution lessons..only in BN will you see”tutting” in the comment section na wetin NSG dey talk so

• Stef March 8, 2016 at 6:49 pm

If going to good schools, being educated/living abroad and being from powerful pedigrees is what it requires to be considered elitist, then yes we are elitist… and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve come to realize that the folks who despise those of higher social ranks are usually the same ones who would give arms and legs to reach the same ranks. They are the ones who tag along as best friends while in truth they are only around to take advantage of us/our families. They are also the same folks who get a little and start behaving exactly as you would expect from new money. Please move on. We don’t plan to change our lives to make you feel better.

• Engoz March 9, 2016 at 1:06 am

You don’t have to explain yourself to these lots suffering from inferiority complex. I don’t come from the so called powerful families of Nigeria, but I’ve never felt intimidated here. It’s not your fault their parents did not instill in them the necessary communication skills to participate in social discourse. Elitism is not even restricted to having money, it’s about having superior abilities and qualities than the average person. There is intellectual elitism. If you don’t have money, at least improve on your intellect, so you too can claim some elitism too, lmao. Unfortunately the detractors here suffering from inferiority complex not only do not have money, but can’t make an intellectual argument, hence the inferiority complex and insecurity.

• Fulfilledlaidy March 8, 2016 at 6:56 pm

@Nahum you want to put off your earring because of a comment I made, are u for real??? Is that supposed to be funny??? I guess you are one of those people who can spot a fake designer bag without even knowing what the realone looks like. Get lost.

• Nahum March 8, 2016 at 7:24 pm

What are you saying???? Have you ever seen my comment under fake bags?? Why are you so insecure?? Who insulted your bag?? Babe life is not that serious o, try and relax biko.

• Atoksy March 8, 2016 at 7:01 pm

BN all day err day! No apologies and I don’t even consider myself elitist.. just a smart young woman who appreciates intellectually stimulating conversations as opposed to ignorant crude comments and generalizations.

• Ijebujesha March 9, 2016 at 2:02 am

Intellectually stimulating convo here?????? Are you talking about some.other blog? What’s intellectual about weddings, parties……..

• Hahahahahahaha March 9, 2016 at 10:04 am

May you live long………

• Suwa March 8, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Each time I try killing myself, BN comments section always do something magical to brain…

• Ready March 9, 2016 at 11:19 am

Don’t do it, Don’t end your life. Sending happy thoughts your way….you can’t get that on any other blog.

• UZOAMAKA March 8, 2016 at 7:30 pm

So true…they are usually sexually active or celibate for 20 years and counting. No in-betweens.

• Tres chic March 8, 2016 at 8:00 pm

BN, please share the link yo this article, ‘Learning to survive while earning N500,000 peanuts.’. Thanks

• fulfilledlaidy March 8, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Life is not that serious and you want to pull out an earring over my comment. You are the one that is insecure and I am actually relaxing babe.

• Bey March 8, 2016 at 8:48 pm

My dear don’t mind some of dese people.
      A lot of them are frustrated and extremely horny.
      No social or love life whatsoever. It’s just a fun blog to share ideas, some ppl take is too serious.

• Nahum March 8, 2016 at 11:06 pm

LMAO!!!!! That was funny

• Nahum March 8, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Yet you came here calling women with jobs and cars unreal…. Yea I see you are very secure. And if you don’t know, I am being sarcastic. Just leave Nahum’s name out of your mouth. Unlike you, I am in anonymous mode so I am not fishing for likes or friends so don’t come for me again.

• Gbogbo Bigz Girlz March 8, 2016 at 8:18 pm

So what’s the class of someone like me who loves maestromedia blog?…

• jide March 9, 2016 at 1:18 am

Alatika central.

• Ada Nnewi March 9, 2016 at 3:00 am

Rotflmao…. your smart mouth is unparalleled

• nwanyi na aga aga March 9, 2016 at 2:44 pm

*weeps* Jide when will you repent.. You are the one that called a young lady sulliat kan 1 of banana island..Repent na Jide..hahahahahahahaha!

• concerned9a March 8, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Only Blog to have a somewhat decent discourse..it makes you want to support or refute what someone has written because you know it’s coming from a supposed intelligent mind..not talking Phd type oh…as in better common sense.

• T March 8, 2016 at 8:21 pm

@Mekus…yes!it’s Iyke!he’s taken?by MsSociallyAwkward?oh dear!see me trying to shoot my shot.Issorait!

• TopTeezy March 8, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I love @idomagirl !!!! Davido’s driver on Linda Tho is hilarious

• Iceicebaby March 8, 2016 at 9:24 pm

I miss Mz Sociallyawkward, Bleed blue, Jane Public aka Mama Saffron, Iyke, Idak, Berry Dakara and Bruno (sob sob). You people need to come back o. Mrs Chidukane, I’m still sending e-hugs and kisses to you.

• Abby March 8, 2016 at 9:27 pm

I love BN!!! A lot of things I know about life today, I learnt either from BN commenters or from their guest writers! And yes, keep on with the ‘oh-not-so-nigerian’ content, it makes those of us who werent privileged to be from an elitist background have a feel of what it is like as well as aspire to get to the top. Bellanaija has made me focus on improving my written as well as spoken english. Bellanaijarians made me know how not-so-cool writing in shorthand is.i used to be so good at that.SDK and LIB are gossip blogs but I see BN more of educating than spreading gossip! I love BN is all I can say.

• newbie March 8, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Hilarious and proper spot on! Yes, I said spot on!!!!!! It’s posts like this that LOL was made for, cos I was laughing all the way out loud! Nice one, girl.

• Jasmine March 8, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Pretentious commenters. Naija single girl is so right. Mtchewww!!! Uche, you are doing a good job by the way.

• Iris March 8, 2016 at 9:56 pm

I don’t care for some mindsets on other blogs and I will admit that many people are more reasonable here, but there is something inherently wrong with some comments on this blog. Forming classy on top blog again?
    ‘BN this post is beneath you. Leave it for the likes of LIB’
    ‘That’s why I love BN. They are too posh for SDK posts.’
    Meanwhile how many LIB and SDK commenters frequently take time to attack BN readers? How many of them have attacked BN itself for decisions they make about what to moderate and not what to moderate, about the kind of wedding posts to put up?
    So at the end of the day, who are the ones displaying ratchet behaviour? Let us take seats abeg and laugh at ourselves.

• Iseeubaby March 9, 2016 at 6:49 am

Iris can we have a drink already. I mean the classy way of displaying insecurity in BN commenters is so glaring that I need sunshades. For some reasons everyone on here knows how ratchet it is on LIB and even ward people off, pray tell how do you all know that; Some of them even peruse other blogs and go ahead to remind Bella to post trending just from other blogs.
      I visit LIB and I hardly ever see any comment about BN on there, they tend to mind their business and so very busy with their ratchetness, but on here they keep referencing LIB, how so that you guys don’t want to enjoy your porchness in peace.
      Until you guys understand that in business you face your target audience and give them what they need, I mean there are different social class in Nigeria and everyone’s needs have to be catered to; LIB has her audience but BN commenters always feel disgust for what happens there, Okoooo. Make it stop guys
      By the way I enjoy the conversations here as they are thoughtful comments and I chip in occasionally but the back and forth can be draining as one would like to drive their point home, may be that is why I don’t comment much as it’s very draining and time consuming. I also find time to go through LIB comment section, I mean there’s a salvage part of me that needs to be fed *evil grin*; and LIB brings them news in dozens so it’s all fun

• Uber bella March 8, 2016 at 10:18 pm

I have to visit Bellanaija to complete my day. Love reading through the comment section and i must say, iv gained a lot over the years on this blog. I encouraged a lot of people to start visiting bellanaija solely to improve their english, lol. Uche Pedro has touched the lives of many through this blog.

• Keji March 8, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Can someone please define Razz or what it means for someone to be razz?

• ty June 17, 2016 at 3:08 am

I guess saying local is not correct, but it simply means tasteless or not classsy enough

• Word March 8, 2016 at 10:52 pm

@Ami, I feel this way too. I love BN. I have been a blog visitor, since 2008. BN keeps me informed about Nigeria. Sometimes, life in the U.S. is boring, and the comments are hilarious and makes my day. I love the blog visitors. They are knowledgeable and smart. Every day I look forward to BN, and I am never disappointed. Thanks BN and keep up the good work.

• Fashion and Style Police March 8, 2016 at 11:31 pm

One thing I love about Bella Naija (as a fellow blogger), is how posh it is. It is one of the few Nigerian blogs I comment on.

• bolateethole March 8, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Yes, I agree with naijasingle girl.i see BN blog as a tush and classy blog. Unlike some other blogs we know
    I hope my blog will take BN in years to come

bolatitoblog.com

• Cece March 9, 2016 at 12:09 am

Well one thing i know about B.N commenters is that at least half of them speak good English or believe they do. That’s because they are quick to correct any bad Grammar or defend Phraes that are poorly interpreted.

• GirlOnTop March 9, 2016 at 12:40 am

I have always been a ghost reader on bellanaija. Now, I have decided that I would be posting up my thoughts on issues as much as I can now. This particular post by Naija Single Girl is really funny! It made me laugh a lot. 🙂 I only read Bellanaija. Linda Ikeji’s blog seems too rowdy, I just visited Naija Single Girl’s blog and I like it. I have never been on SDK.

• Sweetbae March 9, 2016 at 2:52 am

Now how can you even meet someone on BN??..maybe a BN hangout can do…not sure anyone would turn up ……lol..would be nice to see a love story with BN as its genesis..

• Jezebel March 9, 2016 at 10:33 am

With you playing what role? Abeg gaan sit your thirsty ass down.

I love this blog, I find some comments informative, some entertaining but do I want to meet anyone from the comments section? Nope!

• BangingBodyGoals March 10, 2016 at 3:08 pm

That would be nice you know!

• artklub March 9, 2016 at 5:59 am

yo. u suck if you don’t enjoy lib, sdk, nairaland etc. thats salt of the earth, quality naija stuffs! gerrarahere with dat wanna be posh formation. u no get light nor diesel for gen no matter who you are, bad road go beat u. nonsense. we all in this together so roll up your sleeves and eat with your hands.

• Mz_Danielz March 9, 2016 at 7:52 am

Errrm, I love SDK. I visit it a lot I must confess. I don’t go to Linda Ikeji and nairaland though nairaland is my younger brothers favorite blog. I recently started visiting naija gist live and while I keep thinking the owner should get a life, I keep refreshing for more tea ( I’m a hypocrite, I know?)

What makes me visit blogs is the community feel and Bella, SDK and naijagistlive have that.

I only comment on Bella though. The truth is, I’ve never been good at flippant banter and the conversations on Bella are not flippant.

However, there is a bit if unrealism on Bella, like we’re creating a fantasy Nigeria that doesn’t exist even though we were raised to believe it can exist, maybe that’s why it seems some commenters are a bit delusional.

The truth is, Bella is classy, in a world of its own but streets ti take over and the ‘streets’ are so uncouth, they seem to get what they want coz others can’t deal.

• tut tut…. March 9, 2016 at 10:01 am

“stuffs”……tut tut…….

• Naijasinglegirl March 9, 2016 at 7:14 am

Hi BN, sorry this is coming late. I had issues commenting yesterday. Thank you for the feature. Very much appreciated and oh! The comments are very predictable. lol

• MizzLinn March 9, 2016 at 8:55 am

Couldn’t stop chuckling as I read. Lol @ the internet virus Ed Dreamz and the Posts that garner no comments…. Good article.

• BN Commenters March 9, 2016 at 9:04 am

BN commenters comprise of the following;

1. Single girls (who are happy being single and will do anything to coerce other girls to do without men)
    2. Single girls (who claim they are happy being single, but not happy deep within them)
    3. Single girls (who are bored of being alone and need a companion)
    4. Single frustrated girls (Girls who have had it bad with men in time past)
    5. horny girls (single & married) who cant be satisfied but derive pleasure in talking about it on BN.
    6. Married women with dignity
    7. Married women who feels they have lost their independence by marrying
    6. Feminists
    7. Ladies from dysfunctional homes
    8. Unsocial people, with no friend but derive joy in BN to keep their lives going
    9. So-called educated illiterates
    10. Learned people
    11. Very young girls range of 14-18 -like the one saying switch it off (cant believe it)
    12. Girls with hatred for men and would do anything to change the status quo
    13. 90% females and 10% males
    14. English gurus who sees fault with every construction, but ignore the message the other person is passing
    15. Those who feel they know, but know not that they know not.
    16. Critics
    17. Bad-mouthed people
    18. The so-called experienced people(quick to advice any Aunty Bella post cos according to them “Trust me i have been there)

• Hahahahahahaha March 9, 2016 at 10:03 am

May you live long……..

• bijouxthisbijouthat March 9, 2016 at 11:14 am

The comments are very predictable… Bella Naija peeps aint got no chill,very stuck up. Both LIB and SDK had fun and were laughing at themselves.. Now look at you lot,doing psycho analysis of how someone was brought up by their parents.
    Choi choi(in Linda’s voice) you people aint no fun.
    Please its alright to laugh at yourself sometimes…You wont be jailed for that!!

• genie March 9, 2016 at 11:36 am

very predictable comments. By the way, i love BN, LIB and SDK

• MK March 9, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Bellanaija, where is iyke???

• Bee March 9, 2016 at 1:04 pm

The fakeness on BN though!. Jeez!!! I remember a post about ‘Sharpness and the Nigerian Mentality’. Oh my Gawd!! The number of people claiming holier than thou was outta this world. I mean, the standards set here.. if kept in real life, this world would be a much better place. Anyways BN is a nice place for learning. The ‘cultured’ environment should appeal to those trying to join the ranks of the supposed ‘elite’.

• teesha March 9, 2016 at 1:08 pm

I miss the old commenters.

• Bennie March 9, 2016 at 4:23 pm

hmmmmm! no comment

• Chu March 9, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Yea, Bella does come across as being classy but there is also a lot of hate in the comments. I’m still wondering when Nigerians got so rude and negative, or maybe we have always been and social media has helped us to showcase it. Bella is well rounded and so attracts people that are more than just gossip. I prefer commenting on bella cos you and reply comments unlike the others that can’t. I just started read sdk and I think she has something good too, she assists those doing business, you have people donating stuff there, they are like a family, yea they have bad mouth but they are there for each other like a family while in Bella everyone is posh and afraid to ask for help. But oh, well there is something for everyone just pick which suits you or what mode you might be in.
    Btw, how do you guys always keep responding, once I comment I rarely ever come back to check if there was any response to my post. Or is there something I’m not doing right?
    Sorry for any typo, my contact is acting up.

• Vann March 9, 2016 at 9:01 pm

I know i rarely- if ever, comment but i love BN because of its articles and commenters. In my head, we’re like one family and sometimes i wish to see the people behind the comments and just hang out or have discussions like we do here on BN. Thanks BN for existing!
    Ps: Iyke and MSA! Has anything happened yet?

• Miss Magic March 9, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Interesting post here, I love her humor too.

As much as most of the weddings (if not all) posted on bella are people of the upper class/ upper middle and most of the posts are made from people who relocated from overseas, but it’s obvious she over did it with some of the upper class comments like these:

As much as some people can go overboard sometimes, most comments are either quite intellectual, positive/negative, over sabi in nature,and yes real. Like someone said, I also do not belong to the upper class, neither do I have a fantastic job, I hardly buy designer stuff, hell I don’t even have a car, but I love bella cos I can relate to it’s content better and the comments crack me up/make my day, That’s my reality.

• Igbochic March 10, 2016 at 12:29 am

We can like to bring ourselves down she…… Life in Nigeria is already to stressful, the weather is tooooo hot, there’s no fuel to power my gen, mosquitoes r having a good time.
    N some ladies are here taking this post serious!

Nno nu o! Goodnight

#firsttimecommenter

• Tunde March 10, 2016 at 11:06 am

But I didn’t promiscuous ?

• Mz Socially Awkward… March 11, 2016 at 12:54 am

???????

And on that even more hilarious note… Goodnight, my peepu! God bless you for the much-needed laughs!! ?? (@Tunde, pele… Oya go and keep to ya righteous ways)

• ty June 17, 2016 at 3:11 am

Wow, Nigerian blogs visitors and their comments , I Love blogs who take time to moderate the comments and keep out negativity, though it is tasking, i speak as a blogger myself, but too much cuss, abusive words deviates readers from the purpose of the topic. Do drop your comment on any of my blog’s (www.typearls.com.ng) post you find interesting.