Watch How to Make a Quick Healthy Breakfast on Episode 3 of “Eat Right Africa”

Nutritionist Ayo Van Elmar is out with episode 3 of her “Eat Right Africa” vlog and on this episode she shares tips on how to make a quick healthy breakfast.

She writes:

“Why should you eat breakfast? When you wake up in the morning after a stretch of not eating, your body is ready to “break the fast”. To power up your body, brain and muscles, blood sugar must be replenished. Missing breakfast may lead to
– tiredness
-temptation of picking up unhealthy snacks

– Breakfast increases your chances of eating more dietary fiber.
– Breakfast increases the chances of eating more fruits and vegetables.
– Breakfast allows you to include more protein and nutrients daily.
– Breakfast allows you to control what you eat by eating in especially during the week.

Dietary fiber plays a vital health role, it is the constituent of your plant food that your body cannot digest, and has been scientifically proven to lowers blood sugar and cholesterol, and it can also help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity.

Whole wheat or whole grain breakfast cereals are rich in fiber, choosing a cereal pack which contains little or no sugar is great if you are on a weight loss journey or planning to lead a healthier lifestyle.

21 to 25 grams of fiber per day for women, 30 to 38 grams per day for men is the recommended amount of fiber on a daily basis. A typical serving of cereal should have 5 or more grams of fiber.”

Watch below.

17 Comments on Watch How to Make a Quick Healthy Breakfast on Episode 3 of “Eat Right Africa”
  • I’mJustSayn’ March 9, 2016 at 9:34 am

Ah! Ebi will definitely pa mi if I eat like this o

• Erika March 9, 2016 at 12:34 pm

I eat like this every morning but I dont play with my lunch oo 😀

• Lagos Girl March 9, 2016 at 10:17 am

Most of us don’t alwaiz have time for breakfast just because we want to beat lagos traffic and get to the office on time. Is it okay to make it down a night before and refrigerate? That one if nepa give light us!

• Erika March 9, 2016 at 12:36 pm

I had a similar problem but decided to be making mine at work, not sure if you have a kitchen in your office where you can have a quick breakfast before everyone else gets in.,

• Didi March 9, 2016 at 11:46 am

Na wa oh to lose weight is now mathematics. Nice one tho but i can’t help hearing the Yoruba “H” factor.

• Oguntade March 9, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Abeg Didi wetin be the Yoruba H factor? I’m trying to educate myself on that so I watched the video again. Pls enlighten me. Maybe you fot send me the exact minute …. Mba

• largerthanlifealice March 9, 2016 at 12:03 pm

i thought you had to cook oats plus wnt it be so dry and boring …hian

• bunmi March 9, 2016 at 12:12 pm

lmaooooo i swear thats what i was about to say like i was genuinely trying to listen and take down notes but the her accent and that h factor just kept distracting me

• sass March 9, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I have weighed 75kg since forever. I joined the gym October last year and I did not shift a single kg
    why? you can never out exercise a bad diet.
    on the days I ate well I lost a bit, on the days I didn’t I put it all back on.
    Last week I started clean 9 and my God. this is day 7, I am down by 3kg, my skin glows and my body even looks different.. the reason is I have been eating good.
    So yes weight loss is abt maths, you cannot eat 2 thousand calories a day and expect to lose weight.
    When I lived abroad it was so much easier to count calories as almost everything had the calorie count attached.
    to lose weight the following are my tips.
    1. eat protein for breakfast. An egg will suffice. so lets say 6am eat that.
    2. by 10 am have some fruits, perhaps an apple and a garden egg.
    12 pm have another set of fruits.
    3. 3pm (which scientifically and even from my own experience by keeping a food diary is when most people get really hungry) eat your proper meal of the day. moi-moi with skinless chicken in vegs will suffice. you should try and eat a lot of protein as they keep you full and helps with weight loss.
    6. 6pm you can have fruits or better yet, some protein like chicken or fish with vegs.

the idea is to eat like 5 – 6 meals a day but small portions, that way you don’t feel hungry and over-eat.

exercise as well, you don’t need to go to the gym.
    try the following circuit at home

1. 5o jumping jacks
    2. 50 high knees
    3. 50 in and out squats
    4. 50 jumping squats
    50 skips.

do the following and see the sweat roll up.

• sass March 9, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Ayo great job, keep it up. Meanwhile what kitchen scale do you use please, I need to purchase one.

• whocares March 9, 2016 at 12:27 pm

This one that I have been trying to lose 5kg for the best part of a year (lol. no word of a lie) I have decided skipping breakfast is a bad idea as well so I am on the hunt for a quickie breakfast wise.. this seems ok. Its just apples and yoghurt. I am sorry, I cannot eat that oat without cooking it o the bush person in me rebels at the thought. Breakfast is not the problem for me, but lunch. Half the time you are too tired from the previous day to make lunch in advance, and I want healthy lunch recipes that are not salads. I am trying to be realistic here, all those “leaves”, they are not for me and I know I wont enjoy it and that is the crux of healthy eating- you have to enjoy the meal without bastardizing it with other unhealthy things to make it edible.. So Ayo darling, Ayo pimpin, Ayo sweerrie, how do you feel about quickie, healthy lunch recipes that are not salads, preferably soups that make use of Nigerian ingredients or easy to get ingredients that wont break the bank? I say Nigerian ingredients because really and truly the ingredients we cook with as Nigerians are predominantly healthy and my experience is limited. For example, a pot of stew contains mostly peppers tomatoes etc, before we kill it with oil, and saki and abodi etc -I saw a recipe for Okro soup online the other day, not ila asepo or for eba o, but a proper soup recipe using okra.. It was not gumbo either, but it made sense. I am yet to try it, but I loved the idea. I will love you forever if that is your next video or it features in your videos sometime in the future? I am equally open to loving anyone else forever so long as you help me with the above.Tenk yu. lool

• Jagbajantis March 9, 2016 at 2:48 pm

There are loads of healthy breakfast ideas.

– You could have two boiled eggs and a slice of wheat toast. For the toast, use healthy peanut butter (no added sugar, salt or additives) or almond butter. If you are in Nigeria, you could look for oso-orji, whenever you go to the village. It is natural and healthy and better than using butter/margarine

– You could have oats and skimmed milk (almond milk is much better if you could get a hold of it). You might want to skip adding sugar. If you have access to strawberries, awesome. Steel-cut oats are really healthy, but I am not sure if they are available in Nigeria.

– If you can afford it, then I would recommend the following gadgets. Think of them as an investment for your lifestyle change – an air fryer, a juicer and a George Foreman Grill. The air fryer uses a minute amount of oil (a tea spoonful or thereabout). You could use this to air-fry plantain or sweet potatoes for breakfast. The juicer can be used for fruit smoothies and protein shakes. I prefer protein shakes, as I try to be careful with sugar intake from fruit smoothies.

For breakfast, I have a protein shake made up of a scoop of ISO hydrolyzed whey protein powder, half a banana and a handle of black grapes. Add in some ice cubes, and you have a healthy filling shake of about 220 calories.

You could also blend soaked beans, add some spices and whisked egg, and prepare an akara-pancake, with less oil than a traditional akara-ball.

– You could have a healthy cereal for breakfast. Look for whole-grain types and combine with skimmed milk (and no sugar)

– Counting calories is not difficult, even in Nigeria. If you have a kitchen food scale, it makes things each. Download “My Fitness Pal” on your phone and log in what you eat. It has a database of Nigerian food. The “Fit Bit” app also has a food logging database and then there are other similar apps like “Lifesum”

I have been using “My Fitness Pal” since mid January and I have dropped over 20 pounds with it. It is incredible what recording what you eat can do to make you more accountable.

I do agree that it is slightly easier/cheaper to locate healthy options abroad than in Nigeria, but the trade-off is that most Nigerian food is organic and natural.

You can also use tools around you. You see that boli-seller down your street?

Why dont you pay her a token, so that she could roast plantain and sweet potatoes for you (if you cant cook yourself)

Fish is cheaper and easily available especially brands like Tilapia and mackerel. You could roast these and have with a side of leafy vegetable sauce made out of efo. Or make into a steamy broth.

Ok I have gone on for too long

• Hian! March 9, 2016 at 5:54 pm

“f you are in Nigeria, you could look for oso-orji, whenever you go to the village.”
      You assume everybody is Igbo and goes to the village, yea?

• Jagbajantis March 9, 2016 at 7:03 pm

I believe oso-orji is available in most places, and is probably called something else.

And oh, if you are not Igbo, you should..

• UZOAMAKA March 9, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Sass, you are the real MVP!

• Jo! March 9, 2016 at 6:01 pm

I liked this one Ayo, and the emphasis particularly on “practical & realistic” good job

• Obanikoro March 9, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Na wah for you people o! What’s wrong with her accent???
    I turned on the volume of my laptop and didn’t hear one H factor. Why not just focus and learn instead of nonsensical critics?