William Ifeanyi Moore: To Play Dumb or Not?

dreamstime_s_41432020While I have been called a misogynist, rape culture and violence promoter and future terrible husband, among many other names, for sharing some controversial speculative pieces, I have refused to repent of my troublesome ways. So if you are having a sensitive day, you can always stop here.

It is no secret that the average Nigerian girl is full of complaints about our men. Heck, I’m a man and I am full of complaints about my gender (even if I haven’t written on Bella about them). Infidelity and deception probably stand as the strongest of our shortcomings, with physical and emotional abuse being the most extreme. But writing about such blatant problems barely make for an interesting read, so I would like to use this medium to inquire about an issue that has become a constant subject of discontentment with a lot of my female friends.

Nigerian men are not intelligent!

And before the linguistic Generals come and accuse me of over-generalizing, biko calm down, I have learned my lesson. Not all Nigerian men are unintelligent, but word on the street is that the average Nigerian man is almost incapable of holding an intelligent conversation about anything that isn’t football.

As much as I would like to be bias to men…well…because I am one, I would have to throw in the towel here and accept defeat. But never mind identifying a problem. You don’t need to be a psychologist or detective to do that. The question is why? Nigerian men generally receive the same standard of education as our female counterpart and we are exposed to the same society. So how is it that our men are seemingly unable to hold intellectually stimulating conversation with women?

My theory is this; there is way too much emphasis placed on male financial development in this country that most men see no need to improve intellectually. As a published author (if I may so casually blow my own trumpet), I have first-hand experience with how little men read. Even publishers will tell you the female markets is what is keeping us in business (I should really write more friendly female posts). Beyond intellectual intelligence, there is emotional intelligence, which is even in lower deficit. This is evident in the sizable amount of our adult males who unable to express themselves emotionally or understand how emotions even work  – to the frustration of females that seem to be almost naturally better adapted to understanding this.

The average Nigerian man believes 10 out of 10 times, she will choose comfort, so once he can provide that, he need not stress himself any further.

The result of this imbalance has spawned a growing population of working intelligent women unable to find suitable partners not because men aren’t abundant in the society, but because quantity is no substitute for quality. Women having to dumb down themselves to soothe the male ego has become commonplace in our dating culture, and at the rate we are progressing, this will only get worse. You talk to single women of “marriable” age and most will tell you that they aren’t lacking suitors by any means; but for a partnership like marriage requiring a lifelong commitment, there is only so much stupidity one can handle.

Any ladies in the house that echo these sentiments? Any brothers that thinks the situation has been misrepresented? The floor is yours.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

66 Comments on William Ifeanyi Moore: To Play Dumb or Not?
  • Olly March 1, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Like timaya,I concur . Bite me .

• Chi-e-z March 1, 2016 at 10:12 pm

Oh Lawdy why lol you like trying it oh William As they say in my neck of the woods. I plead the Fifth Amendment 😀

• Olufunke March 1, 2016 at 10:16 pm

All your points were very well noted but “Any ladies… any brothers” really?!

• Ada March 1, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Well written article, couldn’t agree more….mr Moore, keep it up. But,what’s the point of all the academic degree or intelligence without any &&&&,££££ or even enough naira in your name, or bank account????

• Proverbs31woman March 1, 2016 at 10:35 pm

How e take do you? baza queen! read ARTICLE and move along. uneccessary commentator

• Ewa March 2, 2016 at 8:30 am

You seem not to understand her point…. Read again

• Tolu March 1, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Williams, why you dey fall our hands now? You and I know that there are more intelligent men( though unproven) out there than women as against your female pleasing article. Now I don dey vex for you?

• Proverbs31woman March 1, 2016 at 10:29 pm

you hit the nail right on the head with this piece Will…….unfortunately most Nigerian men dont play dumb, they actually aren’t mentally stimulating lol but don’t mind me it’s just a sapiosexual problem.

• Tunmi March 1, 2016 at 10:30 pm

So I was listening to the top 10 songs on gidi lounge, I forgot the name of it but it’s the top popular songs in Naija. I don’t know if it’s from sales or radio play. I heard Wizkid’s Final Baba Nla, Davido and Olamide’s The Money, Tekno’s Wash, and Adekunle Gold’s Pick Up. The general consensus in these songs, ehn ehn it’s called Trending (I think ?), is money, cars and women. It was just really sad. The beats were good, and I love hearing our local languages but it was really disheartening that we have nothing more to sing about in pop culture other than getting money to get women. And then the same men complain that women are too materialistic. It’s a very dark cycle.

• Popculure March 2, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Ah, but whats pop culture if you take away money and sex???

• Empress wu March 3, 2016 at 9:09 am

• Lucinda March 1, 2016 at 10:35 pm

I dated a doctor who told me that having frequent sex will make a woman gain weight. I asked how? He said the sperm will make you fat. I knew we were not going to last. Most of my unsuccessful relationships have been due to lack of mental chemistry. The intelligent ones become jerks to you when they notice you’re sapiosexual.

• californiabawlar March 1, 2016 at 11:28 pm

“….The intelligent ones become jerks to you when they notice you’re sapiosexual.”

I don’t think sapiosexual men exist…after all, the cliche is that (all) men are visual…so intelligent or not, mini-me does the decision-making when it comes to women.
      Sweetie you best rub your rubywoo and play dumb 😀

• dian March 2, 2016 at 6:24 am

I beg to disagree. Sapiosexual men do very much exist. I have a good friend who loves intelligent conversation with ladies and he is verycute and intelligent…. just saying that they exist but are rare

• Californiabawlar March 2, 2016 at 7:43 am

Eeya I hope no one takes my comment too seriously, it was light-hearted o…lol. But let’s even use your friend as an example…yes he ‘likes’ to talk to intelligent girls…but does he hit on them? is he in addition to intellectual fascination also physically stimulated by all these girls he spends time talking to (read waste time)? lol.
        My dear, I’ve spent (a sh%t load of) time discussing world politics, philosophy, and even sports with many a intelligent man…but my dear, nothing dey happen until I show a little boobage and doll up…and that is usually the end of all meaningful conversations…it all changes to ‘come now’, ‘you’re fine sha’, ‘dang! those curves…’, ‘na wah for these your lips’…my mouth is now longer useful for big words…now they want to see “what that mouth do though” hehehe…
        The key word in sapiosexual is the sexual part…and I’ve never met a single male specie smitten by such a plague….y’all can be friends though 😛

• Easy n Gentle March 2, 2016 at 5:01 pm

It’s sort of difficult to think sex and all things that come with it when you’re having an intellectually stimulating conversation. We don’t multi task that well, at least I don’t

• Peaches77 March 2, 2016 at 10:31 pm

I know one particularly. Gets a hard-on during arguments/debates… Na wa!
        What I don’t know anyway is if the turn-on is also influenced by beauty of some sort.

• Tosin March 3, 2016 at 4:50 am

chai, i for like to stalk this Easy n Gentle. just the name alone…

• ogeAdiro March 1, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Apparently, researchers have looked into your doctor friend’s theory.

• ogeAdiro March 1, 2016 at 11:07 pm

What does intelligence mean? What is an intelligent conversation? I know some people who are great conversationalists but I wouldn’t say that they’re intelligent.

• Femi Shine March 1, 2016 at 11:10 pm

It is kind of hard to find people to engage intelligent conversations with so we go with the norm; football, Buhari and the likes. Not to bash the women but half the time they are too consumed with their normal issues; hair, looks and the rest. You dont want to be a boring dude in a discussion about ass and how many women we can bed.

• Swizzey March 1, 2016 at 11:40 pm

Don’t let all that talk of the educated naija girl clamouring for an intelligent man fool you, many of them have their brains wired to have conversations that revolve around not more than 7 topics of discussion. And as a man, when your babe does not tell you anything different other than “my office”, “my body”, “my feelings”, “my friends wedding” etc…the conversation just goes round and round and round, until he decides to look for something that does not involve aso-ebi and taking endless selfies.

• Cele-Ijesha March 2, 2016 at 1:03 am

Like someone asked, what is intelligent conversation. That women are more vocal and know how to talk more than men does not make Nigerian men any less intelligent than their female peers. The proven fact that Nigerian women are captains of gossip industry, nagging industry, small talk industry, emotional blackmail industry, crying wolf industry, mountain out of mole hill industry, does make them chatty but not more cerebral. Men are by creation and weight of existential expectation taciturn. They are required to talk less and do more. They are required as the hunter to come back home with the game not stories of how the animal escaped. History sef does not even support the notion this article wants to propagate, I mean, if you reel out the names of heroes past, Nigerians in their youth, whose intellection impacted and shaped our socio-economic and political development the most, the male folk stands more notable.
    Ofcourse, BN like other interactive fora, has more men readers that comment writers as compared to the womenfolk. It doesn’t imply we are shy of joining the numerous debate that hold here, it just means that Nigerian women are more impulsive to debate and have more things that catch or irk their fancy than men.
    ifeanyi, eleyi owole rara o…

• Leo March 2, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Wagbayi!! The number of male viewers on this blog compared to women is probably close, but how many men join in the numerous ridiculous arguments? very few!!! that Mr Moore answers your question. Women in Nigeria are more vocal… that doesn’t mean they are more intelligent. when i met this lady and she always passes her point like a lecture, any contrary opinion from me will be treated with plenty pouting and funny behaviour….. i just agree with everything she says. I am sure, she will go tell her friends bobo is not intelligent. I cannot come and go and be quarrelling over funny opinions! thank you very much!

• ElessarisElendil March 2, 2016 at 4:14 am

Ifeanyi you sold out so bad. Dude????

But on the topic, experienced people tell me what intelligent conversation has to do with a relationship? Don’t you already have a circle you do that with before?

I mean you guys won’t be spending all your time together, seems to me that if you spend the little time you have together discussing stuff like geographical determinants on history, you’re not doing it right.

Keep it light.

• Tosin March 2, 2016 at 5:07 am

Intelligence I’d say is everywhere.
    I think what you (maybe) mean is they’re not urbane, not broadly aware, not knowledgable, and even there I’ll come to the defense of the guys. And also suggest that it’s a bit more an Igbo problem than a Nigeria problem.
    That said, for a cosmopolitan (ok, just metropolitan) place like Lagos, many here are rather provincial in their thoughts and dreams…like, even if you can’t teach me very much book-wise, would you show me something interesting? That part does get me. I’m the more interesting one, always. And I’m not even that interesting 🙂 Many brothers most innovative hang out idea is a shag. No wonder about our population lol.

• Mara March 2, 2016 at 5:31 am

‘An Igbo problem’???? Wow. Ridiculous.

• *rme March 2, 2016 at 8:10 am

Chai, I mistakenly liked your comment before seeing the “Igbo problem” part. It’s not your fault, I was deceived by your beginning.
      All I can say is that your ignorance is embarrassing. Never knew you were this bad.

• Tosin March 2, 2016 at 8:48 am

an Igbo phenomenon
      sorry. not a problem.

• jade March 2, 2016 at 10:39 am

what does difference does it make changing problem to phenomenon? Yoruba demon!

• Bee March 2, 2016 at 9:31 am

Sad ignorance. Ironically, the writer of the main article is Igbo. It might be more of a Tosin problem than your Igbo assertion.

• A. March 2, 2016 at 5:15 am

Whats defines the “average nigerian man” Useless write up without any sound basis.

• miini March 2, 2016 at 7:41 am

Chill now, it ain’t that serious. Ifeanyi is actually right. I don’t go out on dates because I cannot comman be enduring two hours of boring conversation abt nothing in particular. And yes, most guys will just rattle on and on abt themselves, money and football. It’s even worse for professionals like men just don’t understand that u have a functioning brain, Very annoying. After enduring for so long, me just jejely made up my mind, aint marrying some1 dt aint a doctor. At least we can talk abt the emerging trends in the management of Lassa fever or whatever other issue arises then. I cannot comman be frustrated.

• Lucinda March 2, 2016 at 10:29 am

Just like someone said, intelligence is subjective. The doctor thing is not always true jor. I have had profound and wholesome conversation with market women. I dated a programmer who used to ask me to look out for constellation patterns at night. It was painfully boring. I think the issue is not how knowledgeable you are but how “interesting”, how you can “hold” a conversation. Hold, as in, make the person keep talking because they enjoy your company.

• …..just saying March 2, 2016 at 7:34 am

“I am full of complaints about my gender (even if I haven’t written on Bella about them……..But writing about such blatant problems barely make for an interesting read,”

This right here is really your cue on how unintelligent you are as a Nigerian man. A writer turns boring subjects to best seller. s But of course your unintelligent self is unable to think through how to do that. Instead you pick on easy topics on woman matter to get 10000 comments. SMH!!!

• Onyie March 2, 2016 at 9:54 am

Pls take a chill pill. William writes interesting articles and he has stated that he’s chosen to write on controversial topics…topics that start a conversation which most of his articles accomplish. Why write articles on areas that are already covered by the multitude of writers bella has on staff when he can write on topics that spark a debate between both sexes?

• Really? March 2, 2016 at 7:37 am

This is a pile of hogwash. No introduction, premise, build up, conclusion, nothing. . Abeg na who publish your book?

• Osaretin March 2, 2016 at 8:13 am

I’ve been a victim of this before lol Liked a guy for 2years and never spoke to him. Had one conversation with him and boy was he “dumb” Eish!! was in shock from the things coming out of his mouth. That’s how i got delivered! but definitely not all Nigerian guys are like that… I have also met some really intelligent one’s.

• AO March 2, 2016 at 8:14 am

Not sure why read past the first paragraph, but it feels this article “attempts” to be controversial to attract clicks. Unfortunately, this has been written from a misinformed position.

Can we move on from “gender bashing”?

• Bring-Back-Our-Ifeanyi March 2, 2016 at 11:34 am

I got the same feeling, William has been bought over by the number criticism He received over the last couple of weeks however He still writes to evoke emotions, cause controversy and get us all to comment. Just that this time He is pandering to the female audience of Bella. Bro you don sell us out and to think you were our little voice on this site. Baba abeg change your ways lol.

• Anonymous March 2, 2016 at 8:20 am

The truth is Nigerian men love a woman who is hot, well shaped, fashionable and becomes intelligent by relating with them (I.e, Ones they can teach). There are exceptions though.
    I have friends married to smart, successful women cheating with bimbos then sending these girls self improvement courses and the likes coz it makes them feel manly.

I don’t even bother anymore. I show up hot to a date, enjoy whatever conversation also to analyze your mindset. If you’re one who doesn’t like intelligent women, I instantly turn you to a maga and keep it moving. Once they get the message, they move on.

No need to lament, the one I’ll connect with is out there. For now I’m having fun and learning about pple. No need for all the ‘respect my brains not my looks’, we can never change pple, we can only decide how to deal with the situation

• Agree with anonymous March 2, 2016 at 11:35 am

Lwkmd @ turn to maga pahahahahahaha

Well the truth is I love me an intelligent man that can hold an intelligent conversation since I’m well learned myself. I need a man that can challenge me mentally and career wise( I’m all about my career). I need a man that will make an intelligent statement that gets me thinking deep and make me want to read up on it even if it’s not my area. This is hard to find, the last guy I met had all of this but nigga did not believe in God so I picked race lol. The current guy I’m talking with is not intelligent rara. I have told this guy countless of times in a man I look for brain and a good heart clearly he can see he doesn’t fall into his category but he is still in love sha so I have turned him to maga for now. I guess he sees a woman he likes in me but he ain’t got nothing I’m looking for in a man. I don’t understand how these guys go school and still not make brain. I don taya, this guy clearly can’t grab my hint and is probably full of himself because the amount of times I have said what I look for in a man this guy still no get am. But he is happy to be my maga sha for which I ain’t complaining. I have a great career and making sweet cheese too but my mum never told me to say no to free cheese hehe.

• huh? March 2, 2016 at 2:32 pm

So “turning people to maga” is the latest trend now? And you are proud enough to state it with no qualms.. What ever happened to letting the guy go /move on?? Would you want another girl doing same to your brother (if you have one).
        Later now you people will come and be crying foul on bellanaija. Smh

• igbo chic March 2, 2016 at 8:25 am

Tosin I don’t think you are a very smart person. I am sure you can understand how I arrived at that conclusion.

• Ej March 2, 2016 at 8:53 am

But I concur, I remember wen I dated my first bf I told dis relationship is boring, why it was the normal thing sex, drinks, party no conversation just there like dat I got bored, there are guys that if u can’t hold an intelligent conversation with dem, it’s a no no for them, while the normal norm with relationship dis days is just round n round talks about how was ur day, Wat did u eat, I love u blah blah blah, mehn let’s talk about something else. All they want to talk about is football, girls money. For me wenever I date a guy n it doesn’t work out, excuse is am too smart, they can’t handle and am like but not dat difficult, even if I hold my tongue sef, they run.

• Untrue March 2, 2016 at 10:01 am

Ifeanyi, i disagree with you! Conceding to the fact that they are not intelligent? That is wrong on every side. Seems BN girls have succeeded in affecting your reasoning due to the latest bashing of your article.

What is their definition of “being unable to hold intelligent conversation”?

Lets go through these;

1. Divergence of purpose
    Do you meet the right partner? How do i mean? A guy meets a girl, A girl is meeting the guy so she can probably have a stable relationship and get married. The guy on the other hand wants to chop and clean mouth or has a gf/married. How do you think their conversation and line of thought would be the same? When she is thinking, talking and acting along commitment line, he is thinking, talking and acting based on what he wants.

2. Multiple partners.
    Many girls have been dating since they were 12year old or in ss1. Many girls have had not less than 10,15,20guys, both short and long term relationships. Dated the fair, the dark, the short, the tall, the handsome and the ugly. They have acquired so many expectations and skills to the extent that when they meet a new guy, they expect him to be like an ex or someone they met in time past. Infidelity will destroy this generation

3. Season of life.
    The season a girl is determines what she wants. I mean, i have known ladies that all they want is to have fun and test the waters at a particular age of their lives. These same sets, after turning 26-30, the story changes, they no more want fun but a serious/committed relationship, whereas their male counterpart may want something else. How do you expect your line of reasoning/though to be the same?

4. Talkative.
    Ladies talk virtually about everything- gossip, belittling others, shopping, having fun, sight seeing and so many other disney land wishes. Many would like you to join in the discuss or tap into your future to see if you will be able to afford them the luxuries they couldn’t get from their father’s house. If as a sharp guy you deliberately refuse to go that line/talk about it, you are termed as being unable to hold an intelligent discuss.

As if in school we weren’t the ones teaching them, doing assignments for them, giving them tutorials and sometimes asking us in exam hall to tell them answers

• Untrue March 2, 2016 at 11:05 am

As for men, not every thing is important and not all events has to be said/told. Not every discuss is to be commented on (especially based on the person’s personality), while for ladies, both relevant and irrelevant things is a “must”. Many partners have this issue as the wife would think the husband is holding back or keeping secrets, in actual fact, from the men’s angle, it is of no important or not given any place in their brain as there are other things engaging their though process.

Anyways, keep searching for the “intelligent dudes” who can hold a conversation.

Look for your type, simple. (A partner in crime like you)

• a ladies in the house aka dee March 2, 2016 at 10:11 am

Oh well, i ain’t the only one thinking where are the intelligent dudes? And when i say intelligent, not talking bookworm oh, but ur level of speed at grasping basic things is what i am particular about. Been on dates with really hot guys and twas hard for them to keep up, couldn’t help thinking of sieves and their brains. SMH.

• larz March 2, 2016 at 11:18 am

Most men like to chill (reads lazy). Most are happy to work, chill, hang out at their boys (aka chill), play football, watch football, play games, and maybe go partying. Most men I know are not curious enough to explore life unless they are expecting some sort of returns out of it (more money or more honeys).

Let’s compare conversations (typical of most of my friends) between me and my single friends:
    Conversation with a guy
    Me: hey. Where have you been? Got your out of office (OOO) email.
    Guy: I was off on annual leave.
    Me: Really? How long for?
    Guy: 3 weeks.
    Me: Sounds awesome. What did you get up to? How was it?
    Guy: My holiday was awesome o. enough rest, food, couple of visits, house work and movies. I watched Deadpool twice in the past two weeks
    Me: So nothing special then becuz you do most of those things normally
    Guy: (smiles)
    Conversation with girl
    Me: Hey girl. Where have you been? Got your out of office (OOO) email.
    Girl: Sorry I was off on annual leave.
    Me: Really? How long for?
    Girl: 3 weeks.
    Me: Sounds awesome. What did you get up to? How was it?
    Girl: First, a group of us went to a resort for a week in the (Kaduna/ Abeokuta/ Calabar/ Ghana etc). We did some hiking and sightseeing. Spent the rest of the time lounging by the pool. Girl it was amazing. The view at sunset was awesome, the culture is so rich and locals were friendly.
    Me: Sounds heavenly. Please send some pictures.
    Girl: sends picture
    Me: what else did you get up to?
    Girl: I came back and chilled for a couple of days before I went to an owambe party in Lagos. I was in Lag for 5 days and the party was on point. Also, I went out partying with a couple of friends, went to Teraculture, museum etc. I also got to see my uncle’s family- I haven’t seen in a while. I left Lagos shattered but it was totally worth it. When I got back, I spent the last week sleeping, reading a book (I finally read that book I have been dying to read), I also tried that recipe from Tinu.
    So guys, that is the difference between men and women. Our superiority (both intellectual and emotional) stems from the investments we make in other people as well as engaging in activities that exposes us to new activities thus enriching us in many ways. The girl in my story has managed to explore different cultures, read a book, tried out a new recipe, met with a few people thus strengthening her social network and still managed to rest, coming back to work rejuvenated. She had the same amount of time as the guy.
    The guy and girl I used as examples are representative of the single men and women I have in my life. Regardless of their location (US, Europe, or Nigeria), all the girls have one thing in common, which is inability to spend extend annual leave without trying something new. This is regardless of their budget or social class. I even had a friend that learned to sew during her annual leave. I deliberately said single friends because I have noticed that my married male friends / those in serious relationship get more exposure as a result of their spouse. Since we started dating, my husband has never spent extended holidays (i.e. over a week) to just chill at home.
    Before anyone crucifies me, this is my experience based on my own social circle. I am not saying this necessarily applies to every single situation. If your reality is different, then by all means share your own experience.

• Untrue March 2, 2016 at 1:52 pm

who is paying for their trips?
      How many can use their money to buy food for themselves, talk-less of spending their money on vacations

• larz March 2, 2016 at 3:28 pm

That was an example. The lady in question can afford it.

You are missing the point I made which was what most ladies had in common was the fact that they weren’t comfortable spending extended time being at home doing nothing or shall I say chilling. I know people in the West that have never tried food from the North or East. People should be willing and able to explore and try new things.

• Kellis March 3, 2016 at 3:19 pm

@untrue traveling is not as expensive as you fear. Plan a trip well, save for it and you can do it. Besides she emphasized annual leave which usually comes with allowance.

• Doxa March 2, 2016 at 6:09 pm

I am a very intelligent lady, but I’d rather stay home and read books, watch t.v, surf the net or engage in gist with whoever is available, etc than go hiking and sky-diving, etc. Why? Simply because I do not have the energy for it. My energy level doesn’t make me dumb now or does it?
      I have never travelled abroad, but from my readings, internet surfing and t.v watching, I have experienced the world more than some people who travel abroad regularly. I know because I have been engaged in conversations with such people in the past.
      Abeg, leave matter joor, people are different. That the guy saw Deadpool twice in 2 weeks does not make him dumb.
      Plus, intelligence is subjective.

• Rampage March 4, 2016 at 7:01 am

I respect your low energy level so I won’t convince you that tv/internet are a waste of your free time.

However you cannot compare learning about a foreign place through youtube, with actually going there: No matter how much snow you see on tv, it cannot tell you what -20 degreesC with wind chill feels like. No matter how many carnivals you watch, the computer cannot transmit that vibe/spirit to you. Learning a language through books and CDs is very different from assimilating a culture while visiting.

Granted, being dull is not a sin. However, dull people should not try to reason that they know better than those who actually tried new things.

• LL March 2, 2016 at 11:25 am

Wait o! It seems I have been hanging out with strange people. I have met so many intelligent Nigerian men of different ages(I’m a mathematician so at least I have small intelligence and can tell). I think how one views intelligence is a factor here because someone that may not have their tenses together may be able to invent something outstanding. Also, many people expect great conversations without contributing to it. An intelligent conversation usually goes beyond just talking to exchanging of ideas and sharing of minds. If you find yourself repeatedly with unintelligent Nigerian men, check how you’re picking them girl.

• miini March 2, 2016 at 12:03 pm

I don’t agree with ur last sentence girl, u don’t have to ‘be with’ or pick ‘untelligent’ men. U usually talk or carry on a conversation with people that come into ur social circle one way or another. For example I’m in a ward round, new unit. I see a cute house officer or registrar, I think ‘hmm, what a cuttie’ he smiles at me and I think, ‘yeah, I’d love to talk to u’ so when he says ‘hi, so what’s ur name?’ I’m very much interested in holding that conversation, and so we converse until he gives me reasons to think ‘ahn ahn, Bobo yii o smart rara’. That’s how pple come to such conclusion, they dnt have to ‘be with’
      @Lucinda…Yeah but what I mean is dt medicine becomes a common ground, a cushion u can always fall back on and hopefully from there, u can stimulate more conversation. That’s why they say u sud date/marry ur class so he won’t seem so unintelligent to u. Oposites attract doesn’t werk in ds case

• Chiclero March 2, 2016 at 4:17 pm

@Miini….. I disagree on your marrying Doctor issue. I would rather not marry a doc. I want someone with whom we can explore other aspects of life rather than new developments about Lassa fever.
        Many docs especially the males unfortunately can only talk about medicine and maybe football, they hide under the “medicine is so tasking” umbrella and don’t develop themselves.

• Easy n Gentle March 2, 2016 at 5:28 pm

Medicine is tasking!!! Many years back, before Med school, I read everything and anything; these days, I barely have time to catch up on all sports and Nigerian news

• Martinson Oluwaseun March 2, 2016 at 11:46 am

Valid points William. But to quote A; “What defines ‘an average Nigerian man’?” That definition has to be relative to those you’ve met…Further, to quote Lucinda, “intelligence is subjective”…I think it’s all a question of where you stand and look from. what’s interesting to you, may not be to me. There are many guys who feel that many naija girls are incapable of carrying on intelligent convos….also consider this popular scenario where a girl calls a guy ‘mugu’ because she gets money from him, but all that money is already in his monthly budget for philandering and he’s getting his money’s worth. Really, who’s out smarting the other? Who says he has to ‘appear’ or ‘sound’ intelligent to be really intelligent?

• Fiona March 2, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Ifeanyi I do not agree with your analysis or that of your female friends. I think there is a fair balance of intellects and dumb people from both genders in Nigeria . Its unfortunate that at times, there is an erroneous mix or mismatch. When I was single, I only ever met one non-cerebral guy, other guys i met were super smart guys and now that I look back I attribute it to deviating from my normal course of selection. From personal perspective, the super smart guys i met were not in my age bracket and were at least 5 years older. So from my very personal subjective view i attribute it to a generational thing. Well it depends on what intelligence means to you, intelligence to me is mental and emotional acuteness, the ability to grasp and apply information. In addition, an economic, social and historic analyst. I realised that apart from being a conversationalist most guys in my age bracket did not fit into my definition of intelligence. Anyhow no be intellect we go chop so be with whoever you connect with.

• Oluwabusola Adedire March 2, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Intelligence is subjective, and I will second what Tosin said.. it is everywhere! ‘Book smart’ does not automatically translate into ’emotionally smart’ or ‘street smart’ but I like well rounded people, interesting people! I am not particularly a fan of small talks but if you are a great conversationalist you can get steer small talks into something deeper. I think the problem is that most people don’t venture out. By venturing out, I mean… ask questions and be curious.

• Oceane March 2, 2016 at 4:29 pm

This article is not very intellegent either. Saying Nigerian men are unintelligent is fallacy beyond the word itself. I’m female and I have lived and schooled in different parts of the world. I can tell you right now, right here with 100% conviction that men in general are more intellegent than women and Nigerian men are very intellegent. Firstly, what is intelligence? I guess some of you or rather most of you get it twisted mixing intelligence and brilliance together. Now as a psychology major that I am, whose focus is on the definition of G, general intelligence which is the ability to adapt to life situations, think of future solutions based on past experiences and generally analyse situations critically and proactively with an objective point of view avoiding bias and minimizing collateral damage with the maximum benefit to all. I put it to you that most Nigerian women lack in this department. Most is kinda of over stretch and stupid too because that is a gross generalization, like what is been done to the men.

Now I love politics and government of which 99% of Nigerian women care 0 about, I literally have to explain what is going on to them in that department for them to even have an idea what’s up. Are they unintelligent or its gross political apathy which I can argue stems from patriarchy and feeling of helplessness by the women folk. So they just don’t bother. Should we talk about sports and Nigerian women’s ignorance, does that make them unintelligent? An intellegent person is someone who is eager to get and know information, able to understand information and apply it. This is akin to the prayer of wisdom, knowledge and understanding, what we are truly praying for is intelligence. Oh Nigerian men are very intellegent. They are not just chatty. Both the ones that went to school and the ones that didn’t. Their analysis of real world situations are usually very apt. Actually the really chatty ones are the ones that are usually lacking in intellegence department. Time and time again, I have seen men apply logic to situations than women plus their objectivity. Men just don’t talk and only do so when is of relevance for the movement of humanity. I actually do think men are the ones that play dumb sometimes. Yes they are unintelligent men, like they are unintelligent women but saying Nigerian men are unintelligent is false.

• sigh! March 2, 2016 at 6:09 pm

@ Onyie, you my friend are a joker. What solutions have his articles brought please? I fear for him that he may have to change his name in the next 5 years with all his sexist articles. What does it profit a boy to choose a tiopic that’ll give hinm 200 comments and regret his actions when he becomes a man

• UmoruProdigy March 3, 2016 at 12:33 am

Well. William, did you actually mean to say ladies can’t find an abundance of well-rounded men, men who have struck balance along various parameters of intelligence? I mention a few parameters: social savvy, sensitivity, courtesy, poise, emotional intelligence, intelligence quotient….. The list is on.